‘Catch the Throne’ tracklist unveiled, first song debuts
By Ours is the Fury on in Marketing, Media.

Just a day after fans learned hip hop artists will be releasing a mixtape of Game of Thrones-inspired music, even more details about “Catch the Throne” have been provided, courtesy of Billboard. The full tracklist has now been unveiled, and Billboard reveals that some performers “nerded out” more than others, with rappers like Common making multiple specific references to the show. Three artists took on each season, with Big Boi, Bodega Bamz and Magazeen handling season 1; Kilo Kish, Daddy Yankee and Dominik Omega on season 2; and Common, Snow Tha Product and Dee Goodz tackling season 3.

The tracklist for “Catch the Throne”:

1. Big Boi – “Mother of Dragons”
2. Magazeen – “Iron Throne”
3. Bodega Bamz – “Win or Die”
4. Kilo Kish – “Magical Reality”
5. Daddy Yankee – “Born to Rule”
6. Dominik Omega – “Arya’s Prayer”
7. Snow – “Fire”
8. Dee Goodz – “The Parallel”
9. Common – “Interlude/The Ladder”
10. Wale – “King Slayer”

As a bonus, one of the songs has made its debut already. “King Slayer” by Wale heavily features the main theme from Game of Thrones and samples from the late Ned Stark.

Ours is the Fury: It’s a fun track, and I always love seeing how people play with the main theme. As for the rest of the mixtape, I’m not familiar with a lot of the artists, but I’m curious to see what Common has created and about these Red Wedding references he’s apparently worked in.

1. Jan
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Hodooooor!

2. QelThuzad
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

3. Hizdar for President
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Seven Hells. Others take this mix tape thing. …please

4. outdoorcatz
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

cannot WAIT to hear the Big Boi and Common tracks.

5. Kastfan
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

The Big Boi song was a little better. Or it’s just me that is a fanboy.

6. Hew
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

For those unaware, Dominik Omega is the guy who did the awesome GoT rap two years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL7RWUva7ak and he’s pretty much the only one I’m excited about. Common is my second guess for someone who could be a huge fan and who wouldn’t phone this in.

7. dig
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Nope. Not for me. Everyone knows that Metal and Fantasy go hand in hand.

8. Absalom Crane
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

dig,

Sorry, but it is FOLK music (or “filk”) that goes best with Fantasy. Doesn’t require an amp, electricity or reverb and distortion like just about every metal song out there. Folk music is also exactly the sort of music that characters within a fantasy setting would actually recognize as music, as opposed to metal which would probably make a fantasy character think the gates of hell were opening around them.

9. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I love it when people match music with fantasy or scifi that isn’t the expected type. I just find it interesting and energizing. Not that I don’t love dreamy, LOTR-style music as well, but we don’t have to accept one style of music all the time. Especially for a project like Catch the Throne when it’s not even being used within the show itself. I know the electric types of music may seem incompatible with the world but I don’t really care when I’m just relaxing and listening.

I thought Dominik Omega’s name sounded familiar. He’s that guy! Cool.

10. Yago
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Is this really news?

11. zaprowsdower
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I like the song and Wale is usually someone I pass on. Glad to see that Snow tha Product was included on this. I’m always surprised that she isn’t more well known.

12. BlindGuardian
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Absalom Crane,

I beg to differ. :) These songs are about the Books/Show. Granted one of them has more of a Folk feel.
    Blind Guardian
    War of the Thrones
    A Voice in the Dark

Also, Turisas or even Blind Guardian would have been better than The Bear and The Maiden Fair imo.

Our Blades Are Sharp.

13. slayjoy
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

My Gods. First time I’ve heard different takes of the GOT theme that actually made me physically cringe.

14. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Yago: Ugh. Is this really news?

It’s an official Game of Thrones-related promo recording…so yes. If you don’t like hip hop, no one’s making you listen. But I’m not a huge hip hop fan, and I’m enjoying it so far. So give it a try. :)

15. Ozymandias
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

It’s pretty good. Unless you hate rap/hip-hop. Which I’m sure a lot of people here does.

16. dig
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hedgeking by Gypsyhawk is pretty metal.

17. arden
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Yea its pretty simple. If you don’t like rap don’t listen to this. Skip this article, it’s not for you.

18. Ozymandias
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

OT : Interview from John Bradley
    “Four or five episodes in Season 4 are “contenders for ‘episode 9′ status”

19. ATG
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

The Wale song is alright I guess, I sure hope the rest of the mixtape is better though… much better.

20. ProgMetalist
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Ozymandias:
    It’s pretty good. Unless you hate rap/hip-hop. Which I’m sure a lot of people here do.

Yeah, I, for one, can’t stand hip hop. It’s, along with punk, probably the most opposite style of music to my favorite style, progressive rock/metal. A true antithesis to prog.

Those Blind Guardian songs mentioned above, on the other hand, are great, but then, of course, BG is all about fantasy themed music. The band’s vocalist/lyricist Hansi Kürch is a HUGE fantasy fan, and the band has been making an orchestral production about The Lord of the Rings for many years now (it will not be metal). Hopefully, that’ll be finally released this year or at least next year. Or the year after that. Wait!…is GRRM involved in ít somehow…it seems to be following a very familiar pattern to certain books I love…

21. cosca
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Ozymandias,

Most people have been predicting for a while that episodes 2 (PW), 8 (RV vs Gregor), 9 (The Battle at the Wall), 10 (Only Cat, Tywin’s death, UnCat). will all be episode 9 status, which would be the possible 5th one? Dany taking Mereen seems to be a fairly elaborate setpiece, maybe that episode? Unless they break with most people’s expectations and put the RV vs Gregor in episode 7, and Tywin’s death in episode 8, which is always a possibility.

22. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

A,

you disrespect all the ” white people ” that prefer this genre of music style.

23. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

arden,

well stated ser !

24. the other guy
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Hew,

Very excited about Omega’s song too. I’ve been listening to his first one countless of times since I found it

25. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

i approve that song.

26. Eor!
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I’m a fan of rap. But rap about dragons and swords is weird.

27. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Hew:

That was great. Thanks for the link. I look forward to his track.

28. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    A,

you disrespect all the ” white people ” that prefer this genre of music style.

Sorry neckbeards! Fantasy isn’t the exclusive property of white guys.

29. Lord Davos
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Eor!,

Rap is just words, poetry.
    Nothing wrong with music.

30. Mariya Martell
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I see a bastard from the North there, but those other guys, are they Essosi?

31. fire and blood
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I actually do like some hip hop…but this just seems awkward….. I much more prefer some type of classical or folk music for fantasy themed music

32. A
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Count the amount of black people in GoT, then get back to me. What, done already? Exactly. :D

33. Patty
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Kastfan,

That was pretty good..

34. Patty
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Hew,

Never seen this one before, shame on me, cause it was pretty good. Thank you..

35. Baramos
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

It’s too bad legitimate fan rappers like Adam WarRock are completely ignored in favor of famous people who (for the most part) have only a passing interest in the series. I mean when you can get Common and Big Boi to rap about Game of Thrones it’s not surprising that the focus will be there, but the actual quality of the lyrics in the Wale track previewed here are pretty terrible.

36. Baramos
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

See this one is pretty good. Hopefully most of them are this good. That Wale one is pretty bad.

37. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Yes ! It’s about respect for any format .
    It’s up to the listener to decide whether it’s just noise, or not.
    Let’s not forget this is to promote the GoT series. These artists already have record deals *>*

38. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

fire and blood,

Are you humming the ” Star Trek ” theme song as you write this ( :
    Nothing wrong with that…..cuz I do Doctor Who

39. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: I might get flamed for saying this, but I catch a whiff of racism in the angry protestations about this promo.

Sorry neckbeards!Fantasy isn’t the exclusive property of white guys.

well stated ser !

40. M
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

A,
    So because there are few black people in GOT it means no black people like game if thrones. What about people who are neither white nor black? are they also not aloud to like the show?

41. thisone
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Awesome news — I’m looking forward to the release.

I listen to a lot of genres. Hip-hop, jazz, classical … Don’t like most of the stuff that’s playing on the radio nowadays, though.

42. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Hew,

Thanks for this, I listened. My nephew would listen to this than to pay
    attention to my lecturing him about GoT, any day. It grabs the attention
    of any person already familiar and prefers this genre, or newbies that
    only became curious because of the ” Red Wedding ” episode ( big media
    spillover ). My ear is a bit dull to the rhythm , but so what *>*

43. WompWomp
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Yago:
    Ugh. Is this really news?

What is up with all of the “[insert featured content here] isn’t worth its own post” nonsense? Is debunking newsworthiness the new black around here? WiC.net is great for compiling a bunch of GoT-related items, great and small. I guess nobody remembers the desolation of the dry season. We’re literally and figuratively (as far as GoT goes) on the verge of Spring, and all some folks can do is complain.

I don’t care much for the featured track, but I’m looking forward to a lot of the participating artists. The themes in explored in hip-hop do mirror those of ASOIAF very well in some cases, so the collaboration is more apt than some would readily admit. I just hope more than a few of them exhibit the untethered passion for the material first demonstrated by Dominik Omega in 2012. That was one grand love song to ASOIAF, not just GoT, and took me greatly by surprise. Even if only one or two songs have that cherished quality to them, this whole project will have been worth it.

44. MRR
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

A:
    WeirwoodTreeHugger,

That’s just all the more reason to feature a promotional item like this—to show that, despite the sometimes-questionable presence of people from ethnic minorities on the show, GoT isn’t trying to limit itself to a Caucasian audience.

My favorite musical tribute to ASOIAF is still “To Take The Black” by The Sword, but that’s just a matter of taste!

45. gisizzlah
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Who say new Ringtone!!! yea-uh!!

46. Reza
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Hope these “tracks” dont get anywhere near the actual show!

47. AStroKreep182
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Hip-hop and GOT

just doesnt mix, get back to me when they get Amon Amarth or Ensiferum to do a mixtape.

48. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Reza,

There you are again! Thought you were a rapper?!!! Ohhh wait… It’s RZA I’m thinkin of. Well his “tracks” would cut you in two anyway.

Wali sounds drunk. I’d love to hear Del get down with thrones, but he’d probably bring aliens into the mix.

Also, the Sword kicks ass!

49. Reza
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

LOl! Stop messing with me sister!

I donno Im just so biased when it comes to rap! But I guess I should be more open minded especially if the songs “cut me in half”! But I think more appropriately they should have some European Heavy Metal bands do these songs! You know…like have Nightwish or Rammstein do some GOT songs!

50. ace
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Catch The Throne is now available

51. Chuchulf
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

This is the downside of Game of Thrones becoming more and more popular. I was already wondering how much more they can humiliate the series. I guess I’ve found the answer.

52. Zaprowsdower
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

A:
    WeirwoodTreeHugger,

What relevance is that? The lack of PoCs on the show is an issue but has nothing to do with the viewership.

And I wish people would stop pouting and saying “GoT/fantasy and hip hop doesn’t mix” soley based on the fact that they aren’t a fan of the genre. You might be just a tiny bit biased?

53. the other guy
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Omega’s “Arya’s Prayer” is simply mind-blowing for any GoT fan who enjoys rap. I’ve been listening to it for the past 2 hours almost on loop. Insane song.
    Honorable mention to “The Ladder” by Common, very good aswell

54. Prince Frog
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I am late to the party, and this may have been posted on here already, but Timeflies came out with a free style a few months after season 2 aired. Heres the link:

My favorite because it’s actually about the show, instead of just referencing the show.

55. Cnaiur
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Here is Arya’s Prayer by Dominik Omega

56. B
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I usually like Kilo Kish but not as into this track as others. It’s kinda weak. I love her voice though. I was hoping for better representation from the only lady on the album. I don’t know what exactly I was expecting from her, but something better.

Also, for people saying Rap and GOT don’t go together. People might have said that about Rap and Martial Arts, yet we have Wu Tang… One of the best.

57. CuseGirl
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

So instead of having characters of color with meaningful storylines, they think a mixtape will get more viewers of color? Smh

58. B
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

They should have done a rap in Dothraki.

59. dissentience
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

the best and worst of sampled music, right here.

60. CJ
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I’m a big Wale fan but that track is lacking. Still a pretty cool idea by HBO. Looking forward to giving the rest a listen.

61. Summer islander
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:

Sorry neckbeards!Fantasy isn’t the exclusive property of white guys.

Well said

62. spacechampion
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
  63. Blind Beth
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I love the spirit of trying to make GoT more inclusive of various fans with various tastes, but yeah, this track is kind of an awkward mashup. I hold out hope for other tracks, though. :-)

I used to ONLY be into indie, southern, and classic rock, but then I got into dance music for more workout-playlist variety, and that led me to hip-hop via Ke$ha. Picking random Songza playlists has also helped me broaden my musical taste. I recommend that app (or website – songza.com) to anyone who is interested in being painlessly introduced to new genres.

1. […] A rap album is coming. And that first track doesn't suck! […]