“Bastards” come to Westeros in the latest featurette
By Ours is the Fury on in Interview, Media.

The promotion for Game of Thrones season 4 is really ramping up now. First the “Artisans: Shooting in Belfast” featurette was released yesterday, and now another new video exploring season 4 is making the rounds.

“Bastards of Westeros” examines the roles of illegitimate offspring in the Seven Kingdoms, particularly those born to the nobility, such as Jon Snow, Gendry, Ramsay Snow, and Ellaria Sand. In addition to the discussion of a bastard’s life, viewers are treated to several new clips from season 4, including the introduction of Ellaria Sand at the royal wedding, Ramsay and Roose’s tense relations (along with Roose presenting his bride Walda), and Tyrion and Bronn interrupting a brothel visit of the Dornish newcomers.

The video features interviews with George R.R. Martin, Kit Harington, Iwan Rheon, Indira Varma,  and executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Ours is the Fury: The snippets of Roose and Ramsay scenes look amazing, and I’m in love with Indira as Ellaria already. I can’t wait to see the entire scenes! As always, you can check out screencaps from the latest HBO videos at our Tumblr.

1. arden
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

stannis

2. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Hodor

3. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Hod… Whatever. Great video.

4. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Off topic but does anyone know if the Fat Man will be at the premiere ? Maybe someone will ask him about the recent EW article which states there are only going to be 7 seasons

5. Damo
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t there supposed to be a new trailer today, or is this it? Anybody know?

6. Rygar
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I don’t recall but do we know what happens to Ellaria after the duel?

7. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

@Damo Well the stream hasn’t actually started yet, i assume that then they are going to put it out .

@Rygar what i recall she return back to Dorne with Oberyn’s remains .

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Damo,

The trailer is revealed at the premiere tonight, maybe on the livestream. That part is unclear. But not until later on tonight.

9. JasonLobo
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

JonSnow17,

he’l probably say ‘I didn’t have any idea that HBO or D&D will respect the fans more than me and give them a proper ending which I don’t see to give them’

10. sati
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Damo:
    Wasn’t there supposed to be a new trailer today, or is this it? Anybody know?

5 more hours.

11. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Oops, can someone edit the spoiler for me ? I am on my tablet and i can’t edit the comments for some reason .

12. Damo
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

cheers for the trailer confirmation guys – appreciate it.

13. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Those bastards!

I already know I’m going to adore Ellaria. Also, fingers crossed that she stays on a while. On the stuff I’ve seen with Indira, she usually died in the first episode or finale of her first season.

Also, is it just me, or is Ramsay actually going in for a *hug* when Roose introduces him to Walda?

14. Crabber's Son
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I really hope that there is going to be an epic rivalry between Jon and Ramsay, the letter at the end of adwd seems to indicate Ramsay might get Jon quite angry but i hope there will be some face to face taunting and an epic fight at some point

15. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

sati: 5 more hours.

16. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Fury for the edit .

17. clk
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

It’s Olyvar besides Tyrion and Pod in one scene! So we really are going to see Oberyn hang out with some guys this season

18. sati
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Silver of Wyman: 17:00 EST? Do you know how long it usually takes for the clip to appear on youtube?

Probably immediately? Then again we still don’t have a spot that aired during weekend.

19. Carne
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

sati,

A TV spot aired during the weekend? Any new footage?

20. sati
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Some new footage, including a shot of Mance, check under the comments in earlier posts, several people got to see it and wrote description.

21. Veltigar
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Awesome featurette :D

Zero: What happened?
    M. Gustave: What happened, my dear Zero, is I beat the living shit out of a sniveling little runt called Pinky Bandinski. You should take a long look at his ugly mug this morning. He’s actually become a dear friend and he has agreed to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron.

22. King DBC
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I can already tell Indira Varma is gonna steal the title of my favorite guest star from Diana Rigg…

23. zod
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
  24. Patchy Face
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Love this one – can all these scenes be from the first 3 episodes?

25. Ozymandias
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

zod,

NY Daily News are pretty casual to the show, so I’m not surprised.
    I just hope that the premiere is a little more eventful than last year.

26. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

wow, this was a really great video. more and more they wet our appetites for season 4. Couldn’t come fast enough.

27. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Ellaria is going to be awesome!!! loved her in Luther

28. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Will Symone do interviews like last year? Those were greats. Maybe George will give us a clue where he is in TWOW. Give us something!!

29. queenofthorns
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

King of the Ashes,

“Whet your appetite”. like a whetstone sharpens a knife.

30. LymD
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

It’s interesting to hear the Dornish accents properly. Sounds like a mix of Iberian and Middle Eastern.

31. Ray F
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

JonSnow17,

Well I’m sure being disrespectful and calling him “Fat Man” will get you a candid answer. Astounded at the level of rudeness and entitlement exhibited by “Fans” today. Sadest part is most don’t even realize it. It has tampered down much of the enjoyment I’ve felt from a lot of Geek Culture over the last 40 years…sad.

A) It will be done when it’s done. You’ve received the stories you’ve paid for and if he publishes more you will get that. Frank Herbert Died suddenly with the DUNE Saga incomplete. Would have stayed that way if not for dumb luck in finding an unknown SD box.
    B) I don’t buy any of what’s being presented…HBO are masters of Marketing and GRRM is one of the Coyest people I’ve ever met so I fully expect that the Manuscript for WoW is done and he’s well into ADOS but by doing an interview like this they certainly are getting a LOT of press! :)

32. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Ellaria is superb.. odd when the one actress most wanted for the part actually becomes that character! I like how they make Dorne so different so far, accent, clothes, customs.

Ramsay is one sick motherf***r… but in the show he seems even more devious, since Iwan Rheon plays him more intelligently. Interestingly I never found book Ramsay to yearn for his father acceptance; more llike the only care he had was to inherit everything from Roose. Poor Theon… I mean Reek.. rhymes with freak.

Gendry could have been a Waters if Robert acknowledged him.

33. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Aw Reek’s posture in that clip where Roose and Ramsay talk :’( so sad. He seems like he’s just staring blankly into the fire.

34. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

I thought I was going to be the only one to make the correction so I didn’t :P

35. Morna the Witch
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I’m also for Jon/Ramsey rivalry. Maybe there will be story how they met when the were younger at Winterfell when Roose came to visit Ned, or something along those lines.

36. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

I wonder if the way they’ve wrote the relationship (basing this hypothetical on a few short clips of course) means Ramsay will never be legitimized? Reek’s going to have to get used to eating without teeth pretty soon.

37. Dave
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Well I can’t help but wonder when Martin says there are “some analogues between the relationship of Ramsey and Roose with Tyrion and Tywin” if he’ll go all the way with that one day, and that’s how Roose leaves the story. Killed by his son.

38. zambi76
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Patience young Padawan, Ramsay gets legitimized by king Tommen in AFFC and not before Tywin snuffs it, IIRC.

39. Adam Austin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Well… I guess that solves the mystery of who’s the 3rd person in the sheets with Oberion & Elleria…
    it’s Oly!!
    Like how they appear to have him chosen as the “Which one would you care for, My Lord” ;)

40. Jim Cross
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Ray F,

That is what I’ve been thinking. Remember getting ADWD right before season one. I’m betting we will get the last book around the holidays right before the last season. All of this has been planned by PR people and marketing agents since the pilot got picked up…. Or maybe even as far back as when they started talking about making the books into the tv series. It’s really quite brilliant marketing

41. Heather
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Am I alone in wishing Joe Dempsie got interviewed and showcased just a bit in this video?

42. Blutraven
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I love Roose so much.

43. Dolorous Ned
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Ray F,

I’m with you on the first part of your post, it’s unbelievable how rude and entitled “fans” can be at the same time.
    That said, saying that George has actually finished TWOW in secret without announcing it is equally ridiculous.

44. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

zambi76,

It’s not about whether Tywin approves though (the decree was signed by Tommen in Jaime’s last ASOS chapter, just before Tywin’s death), and like I said, it’s too early to know for definite. The most likely turn of events will be Roose has realised with Stannis marching south in season 5 (or 6), he’s heading into danger and (with no trueborn heirs by his new Frey wife) he decrees Ramsay shall inherit if he dies. Speaking of Walda, they’ve really done a good job with capturing that Frey look, and she looks no older than her 15-year old book counterpart.

45. spacechampion
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

JonSnow17:

What if they don’t know where to put it?

46. Yago
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

If they fail to include the line “don’t make me rue the day I raped your mother”, I will be disappointed.

47. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

hope people can finally stop saying that Oberyn was with Shae now

48. Liayso
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Heather,

Nope, you’re not alone in wishing that Joe Dempsie got interviewed too. But I don’t think he’s going to appear in Season 4 and seeing how all these videos are leading up to Season 4 it makes sense that he wouldn’t be showcased much if at all.

Anyway, great video! Really excited for all the upcoming Jon Snow stuff and the Ramsay Snow & Roose Bolton stuff. Really happy they brought in Fat Walda Frey, that relationship should be fun to watch.

49. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Heather:

Not alone, though I’m not surprised he’s not. I’m still convinced he’ll appear this year, but whatever he’ll do, they’re obviously keeping it under wraps.

50. Talisa's ghost
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Oh poor Rams-Rams, your daddy doesn’t love you! You better go and cut more of Theon’s limbs now.

It’s a video about season 4, he’s not in it.

51. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Yago,

Don’t expect it and you will not be disappointed. Some good lines from the book where totally omitted or changed. “The Lannisters send their regards”…

btw: are you the one called Iago from Othello? A drama queen worthy of Westeros!

52. BoiledLeather
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Iiiiiiii definitely have a bit of a crush on Ellaria.

How am I supposed to temper my expectations with all of these awesome promos! Dammit HBO!

53. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Ray F I am sure Martin is glad that he has such strong fanboys by his side defending him no matter what he does so it doesn’t really matter in the long run .

54. Dominique
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Wow. Great featurette.
    There’s fresh previews of exciting upcoming meetings, cast interviews with character insight, nostalgic looks at early seasons, and useful universe background…
    Something for readers and unsullied alike!

55. Renly's Peach
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Yoooo. I think I heard some new Dornish OST sample in there. And those costumes. Unf.

Also I didn’t think Fat Walda would be so.. Frey(ish)? I thought they’d portray her as being happier and more comfortable around her setting, like the books.

56. Omar Brown
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Dorne will sweep into the season like a sandstorm, I can’t wait.

Anyone else a hint of Andalucian Spanish accents on them ? Me likey!

57. Yago
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

Yeah, I know…

And that may have inspired my parents, no idea actually.

58. Ser Pounce
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Roose wasn’t lying about how fat and ugly Walda Frey is.

59. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

She does have a lot of settling in to do at The Dreadfort, where she’s just arrived after a 500+ mile journey from The Twins. Roose must be in his late-30s/early 40s, but she’s 15, maybe slightly older because of the whole age-up thing. She was probably only happy at the RW because she had family to confide in (and for not knowing about the slaughter in advance maybe), now she has an evil psychopath for a stepson instead.

I am on your side Peach, I think Roose should be able to find love. Even he deserves that much. Who knows where they’ll take her in future? Hopefully she gets a lot more than an episode or two.

60. Jordan
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I think Roose and Walda are happily married in the books and hope the show carries this over.

I wouldn’t judge by a brief clip that Walda is going to be presented as unhappy- she could just be demurely curtseying (which admittedly is also kind of out of character). I do agree though that if Roose gave her any indication of what Ramsay is like, she probably would not be too happy to see him.

Also, I doubt she’s supposed to be 15 in the show.

61. JonSnow17
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I would go gay for Roose or Ramsay, yep I said it so bring it on .

62. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I wonder if they’re going to condense Ellaria with one or more of the Sand Snakes. It would be a different dynamic since in the book she’s on Doran’s side and wants to be more cautious. It might be fun seeing her team up with Arianne and urge revenge though. Indira Varma is too good to be kept sidelined in future seasons. She could take the role of Nymeria and go back to KL to be on the counsel in season 6. Then she could spar with Cersei!

Purists would probably complain, but I think it would be a wise move.

63. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

That’s a good idea, because they were never going to cast all 8 Sand-Snakes, especially when 3 of them are too young to be involved in the main plot. Condensing them to about 3 would work (who has 8 bastard daughters and no sons after all!?). Sarella could be one, then have a combination of Obara and Tyene, and maybe have Elia the Lady Lance appear later on, because she’s probably going to be important in Arianne’s later TWOW material.

64. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

the featurette definitely seems to indicate that Oberyn and Ellaria have children, so I could see the show give them a couple of young daughters, and Ellaria taking over most of the characteristics of the elder Sand Snakes.

65. Alex
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

why wouldn’t they combine Ellaria and Arianne ? It would make for fewer actors…

66. MRR
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking that Walda might take the role of Lady Hornwood on the show—Ramsay could starve her to death while Roose is off somewhere, leading to the need for Roose to legitimize Ramsay. On that note, it always struck me that Roose and Ramsay’s relationships in the books wasn’t especially hostile. Roose was critical, but never dismissive, and seemed to request the legitimization of his bastard son out of his free will. Am I wrong about that?

67. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Move over Daenerys here comes Fat Walda the new fan favorite!

68. Winter Rose
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I always thought Ellaria would take the role of Arianne in the show.

69. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

MRR,

I thought their relationship in the books is different, too, largely because Roose simply doesn’t care. The show version is different here, which is why I don’t think Ramsay would dare to do anything to Walda. I think Show Roose would personally nail him to the castle doors. I doubt there will be any version of Lady Hornwood – why use that plot if you can simply show he is psycho by have him do his hunts?

70. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Winter Rose,

Arianne’s plot is really specific to her being Doran’s daughter and the Heiress of Dorne, though. Ellaria is simply a completely different character.

71. gisizzlah
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Best featurette so far….

i wonder if any other bastard names will be popping up this season?… besides sand that is…

72. mariamb
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    I wonder if they’re going to condense Ellaria with one or more of the Sand Snakes.It would be a different dynamic since in the book she’s on Doran’s side and wants to be more cautious.It might be fun seeing her team up with Arianne and urge revenge though.Indira Varma is too good to be kept sidelined in future seasons.She could take the role of Nymeria and go back to KL to be on the counsel in season 6.Then she could spar with Cersei!

Purists would probably complain, but I think it would be a wise move.

I love this idea. Indira is much too good to be restricted to the role of Book Ellaria. If D&D are going to have to do more with less, this is a wonderful option.

73. jentario
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I am actually torn on this one. I like Ellaria as Taena Merrywhether since I think someone has to fill that role, but fear that no one will considering the show has numerous more important characters to cast in season 5… On the other hand, she could easily be the bridge between the existing storyline and Dorne inseason 5, since it would be a bit jarring for non-readers to drop into a scene comprised entirey of new faces. Presumably, Ellaria drops in with Oberyn’s bones and the Mountain’s head, meeting Doran and Arianne and later running into the Sand Snakes, of which I think we’ll see Obara and Tyene in season 5, and Sarella in season 6. This leaves Quentyn (who could go either way, really), Arys Oakheart (which should appear just for a couple of episodes), Areo (which can be a featured extra or be replaced by various extras, since he’s barely a character) and Darkstar (which will presumably make it since he is shaping up to be important in the future of the show).

In terms of Dorne and the Iron Islands, I think Dorne has a bigger chance of being done well (if it makes it, that is) since it’s more diverse, more approachable (as in, it’s hard to root for Greyjoys but rather easy with the Martells) and because the stuff in Dorne in AFFC is classic HBO material. With the Iron Islands, the simplest thing to do would be to remove two Greyjoy brothers- definitely Aeron (the odds he’ll make it are unbelievably small- and good, he’s probably the most boring POV inn the series IMO) and probably Victarion. I hope we get Vic AND Euron, but I doubt it. Hopefully whatever they do will make sense going forward- in the end, they know how the story ends, not us…

The excitement will continue after season 4, as we head into casting season for season 5. It would reveal a lot, and a lot of fans will go crazy. One week will pass and people will start asking why there’s no Dorne castings yet. Then when we get Euron people will instantly assume he’s the only one who makes it from the Iron Islands. It will be funny. I can already say, ahead of time, CHILL OUT DUDES/DUDETTES. Can’t wait! But let’s get season 4 out there first, shall we. Show me Tywin dying on the toilet, and I’ll be at peace.

74. GeekFurious
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Superb featurette, especially for viewers who haven’t read the books and maybe missed a lot of the references to bastards within the show.

75. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

gisizzlah,

I’m betting we’ll get Stone.

76. Patchy Face
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

Don’t think he said anything about ugly. I already love her and look forward to her part this season!

77. mal
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

uh..Is it just me , or was that review from Daily News a piece of awful writing? I’m not saying I could do better (though I probably could). I did hear somewhere that most things written are from an 8th grade level, but c’mon. I’m not talking grammar. Sorry, off topic. If anyone missed the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/game-thrones-tv-review-article-1.1724530

Here’s a sample: “Another is young Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), a tough-as-nails, noble-born kid with a taste for blood and especially revenge….”

78. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Euron and Vic could be done. Remember when people, including myself shamefully, thought Ellaria was cut for sure? And now there she is. Both Greyjoy borthers are important on the long run. Vic is Dany’s way to Westeros. Plus we do need some characters with low IQ’s.. while Euron is shaped to be one powerful and central villain.

In Dorne, Arianne and Doran are sure things (Ben Kinglsey for Doran?) while the Sand Snakes are a volatile subject.. one, maybe two. Ellaria could and should make a nice, clean and logic shift to Sunspear and its inhabitants. How much could be added to her? don’t know. but it’s interesting the idea of combining her with one of the snakes.

The shitstorms after this season concerning the plots, the cuts and the castings are a certain thing. Can’t wait for them! :))

79. Annara Snow
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Alex,

Because it makes no sense whatsoever? How do you even get the idea that the paramour of the brother of the Dornish ruler could play the role of the daughter and heiress of the Dornish ruler, herself the future ruler of Dorne?

Hey, maybe they could have merged Cersei and Shae! Or Robert and Jaime! Or have Loras play Oberyn’s role! It would make for fewer actors!

80. Tatters
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

mal,

That review was queer. Having a slow premiere is very normal, it was the only complaint. No mention of Aryas friend and Oberyn. Dany is not massing armies, she is on a mission. Melisandre was supposed to be in the premiere too.

81. Blind Beth
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Love this featurette. Every time Cercei tries to smack someone down and it doesn’t work (Margary, now Ellaria) I feel very entertained. A little comeuppance on behalf the Sansas and Lorases who didn’t fare so well with her. :-)

82. R0b0
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow:
    Alex,

I don’t know, would having Ellaria plot to put Myrcella on the Iron Throne be that farfetched? I’m sure she has allies in Dorne. Speaking of Dorne, they could have promised an alliance with Viserys without a betrothal. Or maybe later on she could replace Nymeria Sand on the small council. Idk, I understand that mixing the two would just be out of character for either of them. I just want Indira Varma to have a bigger role, otherwise it seems like a such a waste. :I

But at the same time I really don’t want Arianne or Quentyn to get cut…

83. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

mal,

I’m glad, that I wasn’t the only one. “Without giving anything away, it’s the strong female leads who continue to steal this show” and “Daenerys Targaryen, who has gone from meek, exiled royal to brilliant strategist”. I’m not a sexist or anything like that, but that’s just stupid. Also stuff like a misuse of the word rival and corny stuff like “love of my life”.

84. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

R0b0,

I could imagine it will be somewhat similarly to Margaery, whose role did get beefed up a lot, too. (Like you, I also want Indira Varma to have a bigger role, and since she’s already worked for HBO, I’m hoping they know what they have in her, and won’t waste her on what is essentially Oberyn’s side act.)

I don’t think she would try to put Myrcella on the throne, because that idea is – with apologies to Arianne fans – really stupid, and only works if the person who plans it has so many fears of being passed over in favour of her more malleable younger brother, she forgets that the throne of Westeros cannot be inherited by a woman. Ellaria doesn’t have that psychological baggage, and thus not that luxury.

85. Blind Beth
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Thinking of ways to cut rolls…I think it would work to leave Quentyn out of the story and instead have Doran’s big sneaky plan be an involvement with Young Griff. So instead of telling Arianne “you brother is betrothed to the Mother of Dragons” he could say “you are betrothed to this secret Targaryan that me and my old pal Varys have been hiding away.” Especially since it looks like Arianne + “Aegon” is going to be a thing anyway, or at least an almost-thing.

86. Annara Snow
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

jentario,
    Someone has to play Taena’s role, because we don’t get Cersei’s internal monologue in the show, and she needs a confidante to talk to.

For the same reason, I think they have to cast Myranda Royce and/or Mya Stone for Sansa. They even gave her a female friend in KL when there was none in the book, for the exact same reason.

87. Satin
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

well, they were kind of carefully not saying that all of Robert’s bastards except Gendry had been killed, so I’m guessing there’s still hope for Mya. *fingers crossed*

88. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but there was some Arabian sounding music during one of the scenes with the Dornish. It sounded awesome from what we heard. Dornish theme possibly? :)

89. Blind Beth
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

R0b0,

I think Arianne is safe, she seems pretty important to the big picture. I could definitely see Nymeria being merged with Ellaria, and I would love to see Ellaria on the small council later, glaring daggers back and forth with Cercei, lol.

Tyene is Tyene, very different from the others, and I suspect her proposed infiltration of the Sept of Baelor will be important later. (And she can’t really be replaced by Ellaria because it wouldn’t make sense for her to be able to sneak in as a septa if Cercei has already met her.)

Obara may well get dropped, IMO, since her main roll in the books is to be the most hostile of the Sand Snakes–and her hostility towards Doran might detract or distract from Arianne’s hostility.

It sounds like Elia is in the mix, since there is a reference to Ellaria and Oberyn having children. I have no idea how important Sarella will end up being, but if she is important I think she might be presented as Ellaria and Oberyn’s other daughter since their three youngest in the books don’t seem to have much of a roll.

90. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Oberyn Wan Kenobi,

I have a feeling it’s just generic background music, but I believe Djiwadi had hinted at Oberyn having his own theme, which I imagined having a similar Arabic and/or Mediterranean feel to it.

91. Greenjones
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Thor Bjornsson AMA on reddit now. If someone wants to ask him something.

92. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Thanks for that link. I don’t have an account but it was just fun to look through all the (surprisingly spoiler-free) comments. It’s good he likes hanging with Lena, because he could be seeing a lot more of her in future. Please D&D, bring him back to play Robert Strong!!!!

93. Bard
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering at what point during the season Ramsay and Roose will meet. I’m not sure, wasn’t Fat Walda supposed to appear only in episode 2? That would change a lot of things (will Moat Cailin be in season 4?).

94. Ross
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

This is a brilliant video, but DAMN, I need to stop watching these things now! I feel I am getting too spoiled for the new season. Hereby switching off until April 7… (I’ll blatantly be back tomorrow)

95. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Veltigar:
    Awesome featurette :D

Mads Mikkelson doesn’t look like Euron. He’s not as sarcastic as Euron is, or as lively. And I”m a Hannibal fan. The one guy who keeps posting “and of course Mads Mikkelson for Euron” can repeat it in Wic Comments as much as he wants, it ain’t going to happen.

96. Hath4
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

In the artisan peice you see ramsay and roose meeting on a hill probably near moat cailin. Ramsay does not have a beard as he does when they meet in the dreadfort so they will meet early in the season at the dreadfort then they will meet again later in the season after ramsay takes moat cailin.

97. Annara Snow
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Blind Beth,

I don’t think think that could work. Making Doran Varys’s co-conspirator changes things and Doran’s character completely, especially if it’s to knowingly put a fake Targaryen on the throne while there are real Targ heirs out there.
    Doran is still unsure about Aegon, with good reason, since his story is so implausible. Making Doran a believer and supporter of fAegon from the start would make him look stupid. Not to mention that Aegon doesn’t have dragons, while Dany has.
    I think that cutting Quentyn would be a mistake, as it would make it seem that Dorne never made an effort to contact Dany and offer her their support. The plot point of his story is to cause Dorne, Dany’s natural aĺlies, to rethink their allegiances and turn to fAegon.

98. Ghost
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Ellaria looks awesome, so does the Ramsay and Roose interactions. I can’t wait.

99. Stone Cold Bastard
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands: Mads Mikkelson doesn’t look like Euron.He’s not as sarcastic as Euron is, or as lively.And I”m a Hannibal fan.The one guy who keeps posting “and of course Mads Mikkelson for Euron” can repeat it in Wic Comments as much as he wants, it ain’t going to happen.

Ray Stevenson would be an amazing Euron.

100. Grrrr
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who noticed that GRR Martin said, for all practical purposes he is one of neds sons”, instead of something like “almost” or “like” implying perhaps the R+L=J theory?

101. Bard
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Hath4:

This makes no sense whatsoever. Roose can only get to the Dreadfort after passing through Moat Cailin (assuming its in the show).

102. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 1:49 am | Permalink

So wait… Was that set from the trailers the Dreadfort? Or can we still not figure this one out?

103. King Robb
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Am I the only person that noticed GRM’s slip of the tongue about Jon? Where he said “for all intents and purposes, he is one of Ned’s sons”…to me that statement would apply more in an adoption scenario than a bastard son…

104. loco73
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Great video! I love Martin when he talks, he sounded even better in person when I met him…he sounds like his books…a storyteller through and through!

Uhhh and Elaria….Nice to finally get more perspective on her and Oberyn! That has to be one of the stand-out lines “The Lannisters are not the only ones who pay their debts!” and the season hasn’t even started yet.

And Roose with Ramsay, what can you say about out favourite crazy father-son duo! At one point Dan mentions that all psychopats have a complicated relationship with their fathers, but wait a minute…aren’t they both psychopats?!

Nice one to see!

105. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

I haven’t seen Stevenson do “manipulative evil” so I dunno, though people can surprise you.

106. Nikki
    Posted March 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Its going to be a long year without Joe Dempsie’s pretty face.

Keep rowing Gendry, hang in there.