George R.R. Martin on The Winds of Winter, a Game of Thrones movie, and Season 5
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

George R.R. Martin has had a whirlwind of a week, with a red carpet premiere and epic fan event to celebrate the upcoming fourth season of Game of Thrones. In a new interview with the Wall Street Journal he admits that it’s time to get back to business. “I gotta get some of these monkeys off my back, including ‘The Winds of Winter’—the big monkey, King Kong.” Which he reveals he is writing “page by page, sentence by sentence” and hopes to finish it soon.

In fact, he even shelved what was a proposed cameo on the show, as he couldn’t afford to take any more time off. “The cameo we had planned would’ve involved me going to Croatia, and I just couldn’t find the time between all my other trips and my speaking engagements and the work I had to do to take off time to fly to Croatia.”

Martin also discusses his recent comments about the possibility of ending Game of Thrones with a movie, which he admits got him into a bit of trouble.

“This is all pie-in-the-sky stuff. People are asking me how the series is going to end. Is it going to be seven seasons? Is it going to be 10 seasons? Are there going to be movies? We talked about all these possibilities. But right now we have four seasons. That’s all that’s been ordered. HBO has not ordered season 5, so we certainly don’t know about season 7, season 10, or any movies.

But there’s a lot of possibilities that are being kicked around, and it all depends on so many things. Will our ratings continue to go up? Will the show continue to be popular? Sometimes shows fall off. Sometimes people change. Executives change or something, and the new guy doesn’t love the show. You don’t know anything.

I worked in Hollywood from ’85 to ’95, and the one thing I learned is nobody knows anything and it’s a day-to-day process. So right now we’re enjoying season 4 and we’re hoping we’ll get an order for season 5 within a month or so, and then we’ll do that one. And then we’ll see where that leads.”

Season 5 will certainly lead to another episode penned by Martin himself. He won’t reveal anything about the episode, as they haven’t started writing scripts yet, and are still breaking down the season as a whole.

“I haven’t started on it yet. We’re still breaking down what happens in season 5. I had a meeting with [showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] just a couple of days ago here in New York to discuss the overarching plots of season 5. We’re starting on season 5 right now.”

For more from Martin’s interview, visit WSJ.Com.

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Lord George of House Martin
    Words: ‘When It’s Done’
    Sigil: 2 crossed arms over a dusty keyboard :)

2. newjeffct
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

seems like the story is ever changing

3. John M W
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

“Yes, I got in trouble for that.” [laughs]

I’d have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Great, everyone should read this, it’s a much more level-headed stuff than OMG Feature movie imminent!

5. King Tommen
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Nice to hear that Martin is still involved in the breaking down of the season. There has been a lot of talk about how Martin is only involved to the extent of getting his script outline for the episode he’s responsible for and having to write to that. Obviously, they still work closely with him in mapping out the outlines as well. At the end of the day, D&D will make final calls but they’re still utilizing George, as they should.

6. GeekFurious
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

newjeffct:
    seems like the story is ever changing

Seems like some people can’t use their critical thinking skills.

7. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Respect to GRRM for answering these questions.

8. Onion Knight
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

So he is less delusional than we originally thought. More of a naive optimist than anything else.

9. Easteros bunny
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I think Martin needs to just give himself time and finish the book, fan conventions will always be there.

10. cosca
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I can easily picture how that meeting went:

Benioff: George, we’re going to be mostly finished with Feast and Dance by the end of Season 5. 7 or 8 seasons is pretty much the most we can do. You need to seriously increase your writing speed if you don’t want to be…

GRRM: What’s that you say? 38 seasons and 12 movies?

Weiss: No George, that’s now what we mea…

GRRM: Brilliant!!! I’ll tell everyone about it! I have plenty of time left!

D&D: *sigh*

11. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

*off-topic question*

Glass candles can burn…, so does that mean that dragonglass found on the fist of the first men can burn too? A flaming glass sword is a possibility?

*end off-topic*

Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

JonSnow19,

Goodbye, and don’t try coming back again.

13. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I’m seriously longing for the equivalent of the Caesar moment in TWOW on this forum right now.

EDIT: Hooray!

14. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Lovely. Much better.

15. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Interesting idea. Probably not one the show will go into (unless they need to fill time with the Oldtown Arc, which may not be until season 6). I think there was a theory that a colony of these “Fire-Wyrms” lies dormant in a series of caves beneath Hardhome. I’m not sure where I heard it or how it’ll tie into the overall story, but it does sound pretty cool. I’m glad things seem to be getting back to normal.

In spite of my little joke earlier, I don’t really mind the wait for book 6, it’s what I get for investing my interest in the series now rather than later. I still haven’t read any D&E material (looking forward to GOO’s review of The Sworn Sword) & I recently picked up 3 of George’s older books last week for a fiver (Fevre Dream, The Armageddon Rag & Tuf Voyaging). I’ll get around to them once I’m done with my antiquated copy of LOTR.

16. Laurentius
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

(Oh thank you thank you thank you moderators!)

Already looking forward to the speculation on season 5 outline. Really quite a challenge for them, and for us to figure out.

17. Greenjones
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Someone should make a meme out of the picture of John Bradley and GrrM together from the premiere (or was it from Barclay, I can’t remember). Maybe caption it: “Author, author avatar.”

Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Sounds less “delusional” than the previous interview where he talked about 3 seasons for ADWD. Sounds more like his philosophy is to just take it as it comes, and not think about what lies past the next year or so, disregarding even what D & D might say. I guess you could call it denial, but it’s better than delusion.

19. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Valyrian Plastic,

Why doesn´t this site have a forum? :)

20. Hard Truths
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight,

He may be less delusional than we originally thought, but he is still quite delusional.

21. House Mormont
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Oh no. GRRM was referring to tWoW as “Son of Kong” and now he’s calling it “King Kong”

GIVE ME A POSITIVE SIGN GRRM I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR STORY

also… “the show might get cancelled” is not a reason to keep saying there might be 10 seasons, accept that it’s 7/8

22. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I meant ADWD by the way. Guess I’m longing for something else too.

23. Tori Targaryen
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

To be fair GRRM only ever said the idea of a movie ‘came up’, it was the public that ran with it saying ‘GOT Film incoming’! Though personally, I didn’t mind, and even gave the idea a thumbs up myself. While GRRM implies he got in trouble for talking about it, I’m sure HBO were checking the public pulse to see just how popular such an idea would be. There’s no such thing as bad press etc. It’s all a learning process.

And yes George, work on those damn monkeys before you get fleas!

24. Cumsprite
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight:

I dunno. He still talks as though 10 seasons is still a possibility, but naive optimist is a fair assessment.

JonSnow, 19th of His Name, you flew too close to the sun my brother/sister. Goodbye, farewell and amen.

25. The Loon
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

well now that what’s his name is gone we can have a legitimate discussion…I really liked this interview…George seemed really laid back and like he was having fun with it…I like laid back GRRM much more than serious irritated stressed GRRM

26. Tony
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Here is another interview with GRRM:

And Hannah Murray which is nice (and rare)
    GRRM doesnt say too much useful things in this one. The interviewers didnt seem to ask the most enticing questions though they did try Hannah to tease Season 5.

27. House Mormont
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

*off topic*

also, I finally watched Desolation of Smaug, I thought other than the grand momentum killer that was Laketown, with Stephen Fry and characters that look like characteurs of 1800s England and completey irrelevant politics, it was really good. Loved Mirkwood, and the spiders, and the wood elves, loved Tauriel, Smaug was ridiculously good.

I loved that you could see the fire through the cracks in his belly scales, I’d love for our dragons to have that

28. helena
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I can see why he got into trouble for talking about a got movie, D&D and the HBO have been saying they want to make seven seasons for a while now and GRRM just ignores it and talks about things that are not under his control.

He shouldn’t play with people’s expectations like that, wheter he likes or not, he sold the adaptation rights to HBO and they will be the ones who decide if they want to make more than seven seasons or a movie or if they want this season to be the last. When he talks about a possible movie and ten seasons people believe him and it’s unfair to D&D and HBO, because some fans can get upset about the fact that they ended the show on their own terms and they didn’t get everything GRRM promised.

He should be more careful with his PR.

29. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Hell TV show dragons don´t even have names, lets start with that.

Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Tony:
    Here is another interview with GRRM:

And Hannah Murray which is nice (and rare)

Hannah is cute in this. Interesting to hear what George is reading. I wonder if it makes his angry critics furious to imagine him wasting valuable writing time, reading mysteries and historical fictions.

Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I actually really liked Laketown, and Stephen Fry. Can’t wait for the DVD release in 2 weeks (although the Extended Edition in November is the one I’m really waiting for).

32. House Mormont
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

they don’t really have the screentime to show much of Viserion and Rhaegal, but it’d make for a good scene to introduce BBP or something.

33. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Lovely.Much better.

This. It seems reality is slowly smacking George in the face. Which is good, now he actually has a chance (albeit extremely small) of beating the show. Godspeed, GRRM, let the race to the finish line be a good one. Fight till the end!

34. Tom
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

funny thing about george’s delusions, they get turned into best selling books and the best tv show many have ever enjoyed.

i support your delusions for 7 books, and 9 seasons George.

35. House Mormont
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Lex,

It had potential but the minute they introduced a guy with a monobrow, a hunchback and a cockney accent as a moustache twirling villain I just couldn’t take it seriously, it felt like Oliver Twist and it just felt out of place in Middle Earth. And especially after coming after the battle of the barrels and Gandalf in dol gudur, the half hearted political angle and Bard’s I am the chosen one bit just felt boring

36. Bgap
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Actual quote is “I hope to finish it as soon as I can.” That’s different than what’s written above – “hope to finish it soon,” which makes the completion of TWOW sound more imminent.

My call is March 2015 for the earliest publish date, after giving up on a summer ’14 release date. I was hoping for only 3 years for TWOW after ADWD came out in July ’11, which then would have given him another 3 years for ADOS, which could have been published right before the final season 7 will air in Spring 2017. But yes, I get it. not even season 5 has been ‘ordered’ yet.

37. Vincentious
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Look at that, GRRM admits passing on stuff like season 4 cameos in favour of completing The Winds of Winter. I am fairly sure the trolls will skirt over that comment in favour of more moaning about GRRM.

38. sandra
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Vincentious,

No, actually he says he was traveling and had conferences and “other work”, he doesn’tactually talk about working on TWOW, and IIRC, he said in his NAB that he doesn’t write while he is traveling.

39. Bard
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

What he actually said was:

“I’m working on it,” he said. “So I hope to finish it as soon as I can.

Which is a huge difference. But I bet it will be misquoted and feed the ongoing lunatic “GRRM is trolling us and will announce TWOW soon” theory. Those people are going to suffer.

40. Mike Chair
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Meereenese knot. Son of Kong. King Kong. He’s f___ing with us. It’s coming. We’ll get it exactly when he wants to give it to us. No sooner. No later.

41. Balerion The Cat
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I was really looking forward to his cameo this season, I am very disappointed that he couldn’t make it. But, if it helped him finish some tWoW pages I can live without it…

42. Rene
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

They shouldn’t involve him in the show. Let him concentrate on writing the books, not the scripts.

43. Tatters
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

sandra,

He doesnt have anything on his schedule for a whole year. Last time in 2005 he wrote 400 pages.

44. Tatters
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Rene,

Im sure it helps.

45. Cumsprite
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Vincentious:
    Look at that, GRRM admits passing on stuff like season 4 cameos in favour of completing The Winds of Winter.I am fairly sure the trolls will skirt over that comment in favour of more moaning about GRRM.

Until George Martin cancels some appearances, ditches his “editing” duties for Wild Cards, forgoes month-long book tours (read: vacation) for a book that’s been out for two freaking years, lapping up the limelight at GOT events he is more and more disassociated from, and generally dicking around, I’ll believe TWOW has assumed a higher priority than … say … crying over a bowl of queso that the Patriots signed his mancrush Darrell Revis or that the Va. Tech dogkiller is now a NY Jet.

46. sandra
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

He also “ditched” all his side projects to focus on TWOW and since then he has participated in Wild Cards, The world of Ice and Fire, he has edited other books, several events at the Cousteau… and now he is promoting the show. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe he has a free schedule for a whole year to write TWOW.

47. Super Daario
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Eating and sleeping – Important
    Family – Important
    Writing Winds of Winter – Important
    Writing and assisting in the TV Series – Important
    Red Carpet Premier of Show – Important
    Random TV interviews – NOT important!!! (no plugging needed, stars will do)
    Comic-Con in San Diego – Important (biggest convention)
    Random Conventions/Con-Interviews – NOT @&$#%@$ IMPORTANT!!!!

….and never do a cameo! I hate when Stan Lee does it!

I think he doesn’t write well if he focuses on it, so even if he has the time he hates sitting to long and doing it. That is my guess.

48. tysnow
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Well GRRM appears to have splashed cold water onto those movie rumors he started, whew! I bet in that meeting with George D&D told him we need Winds by early next year or at least a 90% draft; because the size and how much involved each arc is in the book will determine if they need 7 or 8 seasons. In other words if Winds and Spring are like Feast and Dance 2 seasons, but if Winds is as big in scope as Swords then 3 seasons are needed past season 5.
    HBO will probably want to move to GoT spinoffs after the series wraps. I’m still hoping for a limited Roberts Rebellion series, perhaps 3 seasons long or mini-series.

49. Dorne tootin
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I know D&D want to do 7 seasons to match 7 gods and 7 kingdoms, but season 1,episode 6, king Robert talks about “making the 8″. I think that seems a good number and good mantra. Without 8 seasons, there is no way the show doesn’t pass the books.

50. Cumsprite
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

It sounds nice now, sure. But, by the time that comes around, people will have already moved on to The Next Thing.

There’s some fanficking schmo out there that’s going to be a multimillionaire in the next few years. It could be you. Or even you. Maybe that person over there. When that one hits the big time, I hope they remember that I was her/his/thats #1 fan.

51. Tatters
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

sandra,

He has been working on world of ice and fire and wildcards since 2006, only now he is he finishing up that and staying home in santa fe. Im sure his conferences with other writers is more rewarding than sitting at home pondering for six years.

52. Super Daario
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Dorne tootin:

Making the 8! I like it! To me WoW and DoS will need Three Seasons without a doubt. Ignore the 7 season thing people. It will be eight for sure and even that will be a bit compact.

53. sandra
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

Has he say that? Wild Cards are a series of books, not just one, has he say anywhere he is going to stop his Wild Cards Work? GRRM always has side projects, for years he has worked more on this projects than in ASOIAF, if it’s not Wild Cards is an anthology or an editing job or a book tour or a convention, even he says he has to stop taking on so many things, but he doesn’t, and I don’t see that changing.

54. Reza
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

The movie idea would never work! Especially to end the story? Because it would only work for folks who are caught up with all the seasons at that point! So basically they would miss a big chunk of their potential audience and financially speaking its a stupid idea!

If they were to make movies on other stories (Past, future) in the Westros world yeah that could work cause anyone can go see it, but to end a 10 hour series format with a 2 hour movie sounds so weird and random!!!

55. Dolorous Ned
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

sandra,

He’ll always have side projects, I guess that’s just how he works. But right now he’s only working on TWOW and Wild Cards (and soon his S5 script) and has only few public appearances on his schedule. That’s a huge difference to a while back when he was also working on The World of Ice and Fire, the map book, TPATQ, half a dozen anthologies, the delayed Dunk & Egg story and so on.
    I’m hopeful he can make good progress on TWOW now. The question is just how much closer we’ll be to an actual ending at the end of that book.

56. Tatters
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

sandra,

Just read his latest blog. He got one anthology left and no schedule.
    The man is taking a heavyweight lift and push, and i hope he can do that for some years now before getting bogged down in some endgame knot.

57. Tatters
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Reza,

If its a tv movie?

58. Vincentious
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

sandra,

“The cameo we had planned would’ve involved me going to Croatia,” he said, “and I just couldn’t find the time between all my other trips and my speaking engagements and the work I had to do to take off time to fly to Croatia.”

You want him to spell it out?

And the WSJ staff commented, “Our conversation about the cameo was longer than that quote, and when I asked him about the timing for any sort of cameo–next season, anytime in the future–he said he had to get those monkeys off his back first–especially the biggest one, tWoW..

And then there’s that not inconsiderable point of the subject line of the article. There’s all these indications and you choose to ignore each one of them. What gives? Are you just another someone that is just ready to crap on GRRM? Good for you!

59. Vincentious
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

He largely has… as someone else already points out, his schedule’s pretty light. He also clearly says right now he’s only working on TWOW and Wild Cards (and soon his S5 script) That’s much less than before. He should be able to make progress and have WoW out next year.. people are complaining a bit too much I feel.

60. Streamweaver
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure how to feel at this point. The shows are approaching the point in the books where many people people feel the story veered off and lost something. I don’t feel confident about the fate of the show because I think Martin needs to pull it together and keep the show from suffering from the pacing and lack of focus seen in the books at this point. All I see are more excuses and as an author he has every right to take all the time he wants, but he continues to try to sell us on a product he seems to know can’t be finished. This just increases my sense of doubt though I’m still hoping for something good for the show.

61. Guy
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

helena,

Exactly, HBO has the rights and HBO will decide what happens. What D and D want is secondary to what HBO wants. So unless the show starts to dip in ratings and profit, HBO will not want to cut its biggest cash cow ever off at seven seasons if they can keep it going 8 or 9. The more noise that GRRM makes that there could be 8 or 9 or whatever seasons the more the big shots at HBO will think, “why can’t there be more seasons?”. If the only voices representing the series are D&D saying “7 and done” that is what we will get. If there is enough demand from the fans and the people in the production of the show for there to be more than 7, D&D are going to get their asses replaced or overruled.

For an example of this kinda happening (with an admittedly worse and cheaper show) just look at Supernatural. The original creator of the show envisioned it ending after 5 seasons. They played out his whole expected story arc, but instead of ending it there where he had wanted, CW decided screw it this is making money lets keep it going with a new guy. And now it is still on its 9th season.

62. MRR
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

I’m really not sure how the above information is supposed to change anyone’s opinion. We’ve known for a long time that any talk about future seasons is pure speculation, so people should have assumed that his first interview was all speculative. They technically don’t know if there’ll be a season 5 yet. Frankly I think people just want to be angry sometimes and like to exaggerate things way out of context in order to suit their agenda and get riled up about nothing.

63. Phil
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

I feel like D&D pulled GRRM aside during the recent premiers and such and pretty much told him they’d be using Winds stuff as early as Season 6 (I’m convinced that even with them starting Feast/Dance stuff this season, and even though not too much happens in Feast/Dance, that they have enough solid material for at least season 5, plus season 4 stuff and probably still have some things that won’t happen til the first part of season 6).

D&D already know a lot about what happens, so they can start planting stuff and maybe filming it, so in reality Winds doesn’t need to be out til before season 6 in Spring 2016. I think Martin is slowly coming out of his idea that the show won’t catch up and starting to buckle down and get it done so at least Winds will be out before the show catches up, but probably just barely. Hopefully there’s enough plot in that to do season 6 and 7. And then he can work on book 7, show it to HBO, and it’ll be epic enough for HBO (and D&D) to extend it to 9 seasons to get it done right. At least, this is my hope.

64. NathanG
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I like what he is saying in this interview more than the last. I feel like he brought more clarity to his thought process.

I don’t really like the idea of a movie. I think the formula has served them well so far and should continue until the end. Keep it all in one format… nice and neat. Maybe I’m just anal like that!

65. Lady Wolfsbane
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

All the magic of 7 seasons, Making the eight (I do like that name actually) 10 seasons, Movie, prequels, no Dunk and Egg… it’s so fun to speculate… but the idea anyone can pin it down right now is so funny to me. I DON’T know – I know what I THINK I want (8 seasons) but future me might hit me hard in the back of the head 10 years from now. So….

HBO doesn’t know how long it will be profitable
    D & D doesn’t know how long they will be allowed, or what will work
    GRRM doesn’t know how much he will need to write and how fast
    cast and crew and agents don’t know their contracts

And the more possibilities, the more exciting. :) Go drama!

66. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you moderators! I’m actually bummed that I missed the comment that finally sent him to the wall.

On topic: I am loving the positivity here (better communication from grrm results in more encouraged fans) I am for the most part avoiding posts/threads with further season 4 spoilers, so this is a welcome thread. (No more interviews! I am promo’d out!)

A movie ending would suck ass! I’m glad he has communicated that it was just an idea, and nothing serious.

67. Biscotti Knight
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Vincentious:
    Cumsprite,

He largely has… as someone else already points out, his schedule’s pretty light.He also clearly says right now he’s only working on TWOW and Wild Cards (and soon his S5 script) That’s much less than before.He should be able to make progress and have WoW out next year..peopleare complaining a bit too much I feel.

Hooray! He whittled it down to just a few time sucks! And then he bought a movie theater.

68. Kevin
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Guy:
    helena,

Exactly, HBO has the rights and HBO will decide what happens.What D and D want is secondary to what HBO wants.So unless the show starts to dip in ratings and profit, HBO will not want to cut its biggest cash cow ever off at seven seasons if they can keep it going 8 or 9. The more noise that GRRM makes that there could be 8 or 9 or whatever seasons the more the big shots at HBO will think, “why can’t there be more seasons?”.If the only voices representing the series are D&D saying “7 and done” that is what we will get.If there is enough demand from the fans and the people in the production of the show for there to be more than 7, D&D are going to get their asses replaced or overruled.

There is a difference in that most tv shows take a year by year approach, with some multi-year arcs that get touched on periodically. You can wrap up anytime you want or extend a show like that indefinitely. Game of Thrones has just an overall arc that is going somewhere. You cannot decide in April when season 7 is airing that you want an 8th season when the arc is already wrapped up. You could get a spinoff with a character that is left standing at the end, like Breaking Bad. After you’ve killed WW there ain’t no more Breaking Bad.

It’s really not a question of a specific number of seasons. It’s a question of waiting for GRRM or not. Either you plow on or you stall. George wants to stall. D&D want to go on. If you go on you are done in 7-9 seasons. If you stall you are going on until HBO cancels you.

69. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:53 am | Permalink

I honestly don’t know how I feel about the show catching up with the books. I would always choose to read the original of something before watching a TV/Film adaptation, but with GoT I’m not so sure. Watched the fist series before reading the books, and still struggle to describe how I felt at the end of Baelor. Considering all that’s coming in Season 4 I’m incredibly jealous of all the unsullied out there who have no idea what is about to go down. If the show were to finish before the books, and D&D changed it slightly from how George is planning, for me it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world (sacrilege!), as they’d clearly both be amazing, and you’d get two different conclusions to one of the best stories ever told. Oh and this is also my first ever post, so hello…

70. KG
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Booya!

71. Ser Tahu
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Kevin,

I would hardly call 8, or even 9, seasons stalling. 10+ seasons would be stalling. 7-9 is the difference between a fast story, a consistent story or a detailed story. All are valid options for the shows overall arc.

72. The Loon
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Biscotti Knight,

he’s not punching tickets and selling popcorn…the movie theater takes up next to none of his time

73. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 3:46 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

This is my name for almost 2 years! I have the sunflower sign! Please change it!

On topic, glad to see GRRM speaking about this issue. I never thought a film as a finale was realistic.

Hear Me Roar, What did he do?
    And why my comments are marked as spam?

74. barak
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu: Kevin,

No, 8 or even 9 seasons are already stalling.

Look, GoT is a huge hit and a bit of a cultural phenomenon, but it’s already on its 4th season. The longer it goes on, the more likely that viewers* will get tired of it and turn to the next shiny thing. Other networks are trying to replicate GoT’s success, hell, I’m sure HBO will eventually want to come up with some other successful thing. Sooner or later there *will* come something that gets people’s attention the same way GoT did. D&D are aware of this and want to wrap GoT up while it’s still popular and while the actors are still affordable/available, rather than dick around until people get bored of it, or HBO decides it’s not worth the budget anymore, or until they have to recast Tyrion/Jon/Dany/etc. because the actors are asking for too much money.

It’s called “quitting while you’re ahead” and it’s a wise decision. At this point I’m pretty sure that both D&D and HBO don’t give a damn about overtaking GRRM or even being very faithful to the books, never mind appeasing book fans. And that’s just as well.

*I don’t mean fans, I mean casual viewers, who are still in the majority.

75. Rogge
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Vincentious:

Is that what it said on your screen? What I read was mainly:
    “and I just couldn’t find the time between all my other trips and my speaking engagements”

They are writing the scripts for episodes containing beyond released books material for several characters already. Even if the next book comes out later this year or early 2015, parts of the next season in several character’s storylines will not be based on it.

76. GG
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Who is this Jon Snow 19 person and what’d he do?

77. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:26 am | Permalink

GG,

He’s a bastard. Would have liked to have heard his last words though.

As for the number of seasons, it’s almost certainly going to be 7 or 8. I too would like them to make the 8!

78. wizardeyes
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:33 am | Permalink

#sixseasonsandamovie

79. Hounded
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

How do you get to have a picture sigil thingy?

80. Tatters
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Rogge,

He has already finished about half of it and is showing it to D&D.

81. Roosebolton
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

Are you kidding me, Smaug was an awful movie. Action so pointless, no character worth following or caring about, just awful. These films are quickly becoming Peter Jackson’s Episodes I-III.

82. helena
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Guy,

D&D work for the HBO, if they say seven seasons, it’s probably because the HBO suits have told them they want seven seasons.

83. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Currently I believe they should go about it like this:
    Season 5′s ending: Jon’s deal with Tormund, Daznak’s pit episode 9 and Dany at “Dragonstone” episode 10, Tyrion escapes slavery, Golden Company lands on Stormlands, Cersei captured episode 7/8 and walk of shame episode 9, Jaime “with a trebuchet” episode 9 and “put this in the fire episode 10″, Victarion nearing Meereen, Stannis takes the Dreadfort/Deepwood Motte from Yara, Theon in the Godswood, Arya becomes blind, Littlefinger tells Sansa about the Harry marriage, Doran tells Arianne about the secret pact, Quentyn releases the dragons, Davos sent to Skagos, Sam arrives at Oldtown, Bran eats weirwoodpaste The season might need more episodes than 10, but I wouldn’t mind.
    Season 6: The rest of the DwD and FfC material and the big early moments from WoW like: the battle of ice, the battle of fire, whatever happens with Jaime and Brienne, Davos in Skagos, Cersei’s trial, Arianne and Aegon…
    Season 7: the rest of WoW.
    Season 8: all of DoS or half of DoS
    (Season 9): half of DoS

84. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:50 am | Permalink

helena,

If the show keeps getting higher and higher ratings then the suits will give orders to make more than 7 seasons.

85. Hounded
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Off-topic but is there any news of Kevan Lannister (Ian Gelder) being in season 4?

It seems from trailers that Jaime will be taking his place as the guy that talks with Tyrion throughout the trial (which is cool because more Jaime!) but it would still be nice to see Kevan around.

86. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

8 is optimal with a slightly extended last season. That won’t happen, though. So we’ll probably (hopefully?) get 7 seasons with an extended last season a la Breaking Bad season 5. 16 episodes seems fair (with two 8 episode half-seasons). That makes for less contracting issues (which is probably why they are aiming for 7 seasons in the first place) but stays closer to the optimal 80 hour story.

87. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

I also have a huge season 5 breakdown in my phone but I don’t know where to put it (as Sam would say). I think it’s doable with Dorne and the Iron Islands…

88. Dutch maester
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Hounded:

It’s very unlikely he’ll return at this point, unfortunately…

89. A man knows
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

That’s probably the greatest thing I’ve ever read!

90. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Dutch maester,

In season 4 yes, in season 5 who knows. I guess they COULD cut Kevan with little harm… Or they could have him attend Tywin’s funeral, saying he didn’t come to the wedding because Joffrey is incest (he already sprites Jamie and Cersei for it in the books) and that he only came to King’s Landing to honor his brother. He could come with the newly religious Lancel, who told him about all of Cersei’s sins.

91. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Hounded,

I just found this. I’m glad, that he appears, because Kevan has always been the Boba Fett of the series for me.

92. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Silver of Wyman,

It was never confirmed that that’s Kevan. It could honestly be any Lannister soldier.

93. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

The hair sure looks like Kevan’s hair. Also he seems to dress more for the lack of a better term fabulously than your everyday soldier or an officer (lions carved on the shoulder bats and a crimson cloak around the waist). Plus it would be pretty weird for a mere soldier extra to be around such actors who play characters like: the High Septon, Mace, Oberyn, Varys and Joffrey. I dunno, maybe my Kevan beer goggles are just clouding my vision :( .

94. Ser Tahu
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:36 am | Permalink

barak,
    I was talking from a story perspective, not an “oh no, they will catch up with the books” perspective. Although I would prefer the books to come out first, I honestly don’t care because I will watch the show as the show comes out, and read the books as the books come out. Based on everything we know of the final two books, unless they deviate massively (and they won’t) or cut major storylines out altogether, trying to fit TWoW and ADoS into twenty episodes would result in an extremely rushed story. A rushed story that barely makes sense would be far more likely to drive away viewers than one or two extra seasons.

95. Hounded
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Silver of Wyman,

Yeah that definitely looks like him…

Haha Boba Fett? I’ve never thought of Kevan as being like Boba Fett! Perhaps if Darth Vader had a dutiful younger brother…

96. Silver of Wyman
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Hounded,

I don’t mean it like them being the same kinds of characters. What I meant was, that neither of them don’t have, that much page/screen time, but I like both of them a lot for some weird unexplainable reason.

97. zod
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu: Based on everything we know of the final two books

What do we know exactly?

98. Tatters
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

zod,

They are long.

99. FNF
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:28 am | Permalink

tysnow:

I think we have to be realistic, some actors are going to age too much for a spin off on Robert’s rebellion to be feasible. The Dunk and Egg series seems far more likely imo. Also, it will be completely fresh for anyone who hasn’t read it and it will boost book sales of that series.

100. Awake iron!
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Silver of Wyman,

The “put this into fire” moment happens much earlier than the Walk of Penance cronologically.

101. Sanna
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Game of Thrones: Directing Season 4

Another HBO Nordic video

102. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Hah! Some people will do anything Thronesy to get into the media.

A man knows,

Well thanks, um… Man. Much appreciated!

103. Valaquen
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Hounded:

He’ll be tending to Lancel’s Blackwater wounds and troubles. D&D won’t pay him to stand around in the background if they can help it, and his dialogue/storyline can be passed off to Jaime. I imagine he’ll reappear in season 5, along with Lancel.

104. pntrlqst
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Sanna,

Alik Sakharov directing the Iron Bank scene. So episode six or seven.

105. Tony
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Sanna:
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink
    Hounded:

It’s country blocked unfortunately. Archaic concept. All other hbo nordic vids do work.
    Tried Hola Unblocker but doesnt seem to work unfortunately… I can see the stills of the vid but it doesnt start running…

106. somuchforoldtown
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Rene,

I disagree. If they already have an outline for the entire series, they feed to focus on knocking out the scripts right now, before GRRM gets run down by a beer truck on the way to his next convention appearance. If he goes the novel route, it may never get done.

107. Pepi
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Silver of Wyman,

I’m not sure that’s Ian Gelder on the picture, tho.

108. OZO
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

pntrlqst,

Any chance of reuploading this video. I can’t watch it in my country ;/

109. somuchforoldtown
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

I agree, they needed to bring Kevan into the show at this point. I liked his role moving forward in the books, he’s almost a replacement of sorts for the loss of Ned in season 1.

110. tysnow
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

FNF,

Of course a Robert’s Rebellion limited series would include new actors, I am sure most GoT Thespians will want to move on, a fresh cast would be a plus. Imagine the casting games here on WiC for a prequel, it would be like old times.

111. WompWomp
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

Look in the middle:

tysnow,

I remember one of the showrunners entertaining the idea of a Branback to the Tower of Joy (in light of their no flashback policy), and noting that Sean Bean’s stunt double looked a lot like a younger Sean Bean. Ever since S2, I’ve been wondering if said double was the same person who played the Stark soldier Brienne killed in the season finale. He fit the description, in my mind.

112. Meg
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one here who wants NO spin-offs.

They’re just…tacky.

113. Felt Pelt
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Speaking of tacky, looking for the Directing video I found this commercial for Time-Warner Cable:

It repurposes some images of Dany’s army.

114. Alan
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

barak:

Quitting while you are ahead is a good idea, but the rest of your comment makes little to no sense.

D&D ARE book fans. I imagine that they are unhappy about George’s pace, and most of all from a work perspective. They’ve made a show that is in the top 10% of things I’ve seen in terms of fidelity to a literary source. They know that a significant number of their customers are book fans, and not only that, they know that it’s THOSE people who created the buzz that made the show a success. I’m sure they ignore the book fans with “blue hair Daario” type complaints, but they care about this story and staying as true to it as they can. Just because they have to make a call sometimes doesn’t mean they don’t give a damn.

So, yeah, I don’t think they are likely to take a hiatus and a Robert’s Rebellion makes little sense to me, but to say they don’t give a damn is kind of ridiculous.

115. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I didnt chase the link down but that’s brilliant!

Kevan is so cool because he’s the Lannister who stood up to Cersei with a voice of reason. He also was very fair with Tyrion. I think much of his role can and likely will be replaced by Jaime.

What we really need is an army of kevan clones to go to war with the others.

116. KG
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Total tangent, but I am LIKING the numbers on the countdown lately :D

Woohoo!

117. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

GoT Rewatch Report!

Blackwater remains the best episode produced by the show this far. The writing, the directing, the special effects, the CGI, the drama, the action… All so perfect!

Valar Morghulis is also great. The show’s version of the House of the Undying might be completely different from the book version and much less packed with detail, but it remains awesome in its own way. Dany entering the Throne room as snow (or is it ash?) falls through the burned roof- symbolic to how the world will end in Fire or Ice? She reaches for the Throne, and when she is just shy of touching it, she is called elsewhere- to the Wall. There, at the end of a snowy cold path she meets Drogo again, and her son. To me this symbolizes her (speculated) death, after she reaches the Wall. Pretty epic, and great images. Dany’s silver hair looked amazing against the snowy white background…

That ending is still epic, even after knowing that the season 3 premiere didn’t do justice to what the season 2 finale set up… On to season 3! Two weeks away now, and then it begins!

118. Hounded
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

somuchforoldtown,

I always thought of Davos as a kind of spiritual replacement for Ned. But yeah I’ve always liked Kevan. He’s not one of the most interesting characters but he’s a good solid guy and he’s important to the plot moving forward.

Sister Wrister,

Yeah I think much of his role can be given to Jaime in season 4 (being the one talking to Tyrion through out his trial) but not in season 5. I’m assuming that Jaime will be heading off to the riverlands about half way through season 5 so they need Kevan to interact with Cersei and to visit her once she’s been arrested by the faith. Its possible that they might have Qyburn take this role but I hope they don’t. Kevan is also necessary for the best ever Varys moment…

119. Daniellica
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

As a writer I can affirm the profession’s primary talent of masterful procrastination, but this isn’t always just to avoid writing. I often intentionally distance myself from my work to let it steep in the back of my brain, to get fresh eyes on it when I come back, to drink in the rest of the world again for better clarity and inspiration. As a writer I also know how to force myself through sticking points and the necessity of discipline toward getting shit done.

But we can hardly expect GRRM to lock himself away and work solely on the last two books to satisfy our desires. He’s a man, not some ASoIaF cylon created for the sole purpose of pleasing his fans. Writing is much more than simply sitting down to spit out your story–it’s an investment of self and soul, a scrying into worlds unseen, conjuring the otherwise unknown in a formula of words and weight and and tempo and tone into just the right balance to ensure that your tome of communication compels, rewards, affects.

So I have more sympathy for GRRM than most, it would seem, though I also desperately yearn for TWoW.

And by the way, one of writing’s best inspirations is reading, so never, ever complain if he talks about the books or authors he’s getting himself into. The writing mind is much like the digestive system–it needs nourishment or it will wither and die. It also needs to defecate, but I’ll save that for another occasion. :D

120. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

When you comment, bellow the name, email and website, there are those two lines:

Before commenting, please read our moderation and spoiler policy.
    Want an avatar with your comments? Comment using Twitter or Facebook or get a Gravatar.

You click on Gravatar and follow the procedure. Be aware though that whenever you will comment on any site, with the email you apply, your comments will have that image. GL!

121. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

I think I’m in love. And it wasn’t just the BSG reference.

Hounded,

Yes you are prolly right… I guess I was kinda thinking of the more immediate future- this upcoming season. Currently on my phone and can’t seem to figure out spoiler tags… So how to say this. I agree with your assessment of spidey…. Until the show rolled up with sorcerer in a box!

122. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Agreed with all of that! The last time I watched the Blackwater episode I made a 3 course meal of foods described at different points in the books, including the apple salad eaten during the battle by Cersei’s sheltered hens. It is an episode which came in many courses so it seemed pretty appropriate, but the apple salad lasted all the way to the end and kept its overall quality (I love reading about the banquets in the books more than the battles :).

And the House of the Undying, wow. I’ve watched it 3 times but everytime Drogo turned up I just kept on crying (and laughing at his lines of course). The final scene was really terrifying, especially the one time I watched it past midnight after a very long day on the road. These 2 episodes (along with 106, 109, 304 and 305) are my absolute favourites, and I have a good feeling about 402 & maybe 408 or 410 getting up there very soon too!

I’m hoping GRRM’s contribution to season 5 contains at least one of either Daznak’s Pit, Cersei’s Imprisonment or Jon’s betrayal, even though I’m not speculating past season 4. Obviously the preferable option would be for him to write no episodes until TWOW is done and let Bryan and D&D handle it for the most part.

123. Hounded
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I’ve been rereading some chapters from FFC and DWD recently and I forgot how amazing the chapter is where Ramsay marries fake Arya. I honestly think its one of the best chapters in the entire series. Its described so beautifully what with it being a candle-lit ceremony in the godswood with fog swirling around the trees. Its also really sad and scary because poor Jeyne is marrying the worst person possible. Its also really tense because Theon keep considering reaching for his dagger and killing Ramsay. Then of course there’s the feast with Manderly and his pies and then the horrifying bedding. I really hope the show can do those scenes justice; they’re certainly some of my most anticipated scenes.

124. Carne
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Sanna,

Another good video!

Littlefinger at the Eyrie, Karl, battle of Castle Black, Jaime and Tyrion talking, and more :)

125. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

Yeah, that was a pretty cool way of saying “F**k you Freys” from Manderly, they really should keep it in (having already kept the story of the Rat Cook). Speaking of terrible meals, I hope the first thing we see Theon doing in season 4 is munching on a live rat. That was another brilliantly nasty element of his ADWD arc which made it one of the standouts of the entire book (if not the entire series). It shows just how desperate his situation is and how petty Ramsay’s accusations of his new Reek can be. If he’s in 402 then GRRM may have written that scene into the show. Fingers flayed, I mean, crossed ;)

126. Anvil
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Sanna:
    Game of Thrones: Directing Season 4

Another HBO Nordic video

OZO:
    pntrlqst,

Any chance of reuploading this video. I can’t watch it in my country ;/

Region free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Wv1sPygc4

Not my upload.

127. Scott
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

This response can’t be improved upon. Bravo

128. Dutch maester
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Really nice video.

One new thing: Stannis and Davos meeting Tycho is in a Sakharov episode, so either 6 or 7.

129. Taena
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Good for him :) Like the sound of all of that.

130. Cumsprite
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Scott,

Made even better that not half an hour after I posted, GM put up a NAB entry about his mancrush Darrell Revis and the Va. Tech dogkiller. I am in the man’s head and I would like to get out now. The things I have seen …

131. zod
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite: Made even better that not half an hour after I posted, GM put up a NAB entry about his mancrush Darrell Revis and the Va. Tech dogkiller.

Nice timing.. ;D

132. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Daniellica:

I’ve used this, except I think the digestive system is simply the mind. Ideas come in, swirl around, some of them become part of memory (ie, the mind’s body), and writing is the metabolic byproduct of this thinking; refined, excreted ideas. Which allows the lovely comparison of constipation and writer’s block, as well as the claim, “I peddle my brain poop for a living.”

GRRM writes an incredibly rich world because he’s out there doing all sorts of stuff in ours. Being an NFL fan means he tracks hundreds of players’ physical abilities, achievements, public idiosyncrasies, and trade history. Anyone here think his descriptions of knights and tourneys would be nearly as good without those practiced aspects of his mind?

With modern media, the mind has many whetstones to choose from.

133. Cumsprite
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

You must be so full of shit that you squeak around corners.

134. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

If you are in his head, can you tell him Reevus got nothing on Sherman?
    Thanks!

Hand of the Kingslayer,

I’m with you on Blackwater. The tension, dialog, acting an larger production value all kicked ass. Only problems I had were the lack of helmets (I mean, somebody coulda just dropped a rock on Stannis’s head and ended it then and there.), and also the charge at the end felt a little… Weaksauce. But these are minor issues… I mean, nobody in westeros wears a helmet, or a hat anyway.

135. Strider
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I cannot believe they talked about movies. The last books are not even out. It seems so far fetched to do that.

Cumsprite,

Well then, that did NOT take long.. so much for being nice.

136. Cumsprite
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Well then, that did NOT take long.. so much for being nice.

You. You did this to me!

137. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Wait, are you sticking with the metaphor and complimenting me for having so many ideas? Accusing me of writer’s block?

Or was there a point you meant to make?

138. Strider
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite: You. You did this to me!

Classic, Mr. Sprite! Blaming the other party.
    Back to the status quo ante we go then…

139. Cumsprite
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully:
    Cumsprite,

Or was there a point you meant to make?

I was sticking with the metaphor. And, despite what my learned colleague (Strider) suggests, I thought I was being nice. You thoughts on writing are very apt, much like Daniellica’s upthread.

Both of you managed to express your feelings and experiences on the craft without sounding like stuffed shirts. Unlike some other writer’s whose names I could name in these threads who, apparently, know everything about writing and ghod have mercy on your soul if you deign to have a dissenting opinion. Writing is different for everybody, otherwise there would be a Writing For Dummies book out there and we would all be best-selling authors.

140. Daniellica
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite: Writing is different for everybody, otherwise there would be a Writing For Dummies book out there and we would all be best-selling authors.

Just sayin… ;)

141. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Internet crush complete

142. Cumsprite
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Daniellica: Just sayin… ;)

Better reviewed than ADWD. Just sayin’.

143. Ser Tahu
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite: Better reviewed than ADWD. Just sayin’.

It’s better reviewed than ASoS…

144. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Ser Tahu,

If either of these statements are true…one must ask, who the fuck is doin the reviews?!

145. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Thanks! Glad I asked!

Sometimes I think writing should be up there with politics and religion in terms of dangerous conversation topics. Touches everything, everyone has a subjective opinion, and I feel a little dirty whenever I post about it.

Anyways, how about that…House Penrose? Wait…dammit!

146. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister:

From one of the five-star reviews for Writing for Dummies:

“I’ve procrastinated about writing a review of this book since shortly after it came out because I have a lot to say, and I’m not entirely sure I’ll be able to express it all. So I figure I’ll force myself to just do it and get it over with…”

(I wonder if that lesson comes from the book?)

And a one-star review of ASoS:

“I knew it was a hard back but wasn’t expecting the small size and the poor paper quality. This type of library binding did not meet my expectations.

Besides the library binding R.R. Martin is awesome! The Game of Thrones series is spectacular! Deep plots, unexpected twists, multiple simultaneous story lines and thoughtful well developed characters, what else do you need in a good read besides more time. Love it!”

I am cherry-picking, for sure, but the answer is in expectations. Writing for Dummies has zero one-star reviews, and most of the one-star reviews of ASoS are folks who got tired of the style after loving the other books, or didn’t want to read after their favorites were dead.

147. Daniellica
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Off-topic, but does anyone know if one may submit a piece for publication here? And if so, how one goes about doing so? I emailed whoever’s on the “contact us” thingy but did not hear back. Or perhaps this is not the right forum to wax philosophical on GoT and its themes?

I’ve mostly been a lurker for a few years, with interspersed comments, but all of your comments have sometimes inspired me to explore particular aspects and themes of this series in one-off pieces that languish in binary seclusion. So I guess I would enjoy having a discussion with this community about certain things, and the only way I know how to start one is to write something and get it up there to indulge my personal, geektastic fancies.

There may be better ways to go about doing this, but I am e-socially retarded. Yay!

148. Super Daario
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister:

If you are in his head, can you tell him Reevus got nothing on Sherman?
    Thanks!

Yes! Another 12th man on WiC. Waited more years for a Seahawk Super Bowl win than WoW by far. It still brings a smile to my face thinking of that failed snap safety over Manning’s head.

149. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Super Daario,

12th man represent! I had quite the battle goin here with a very cool wicnetter from Denver, we were talkin smack since preseason! Havent seen him lately… hodors bastard, you out there? I think he’s still depressed.
    That jacked up snap was a great start. 12 seconds in and defensive points on the board. Between that and the hit Bam bam put on Thomas, the tone was set and the Dothraki had no chance.

150. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Not sure about the best contact since Winter stepped down, but you can certainly submit. I got an event coverage story up, when no staff was planning on attending. Essays might be trickier.

Super Daario,

Me too!

(I am also a Pats fan, and make no apologies as a bicoastal son of divorce. Championship weekend was terrifying, but that snap was extra delicious.)

151. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Try wicgeeks, or fleabottom I think now… I shouldn’t pimp them because I am not a member but thought you deserved a response. I was invited a couple times but am also e-tarded and have failed to join yet. Only so much time in the day. But that place seems cool and I imagine you would be well received there. I would be interested in reading some of your work, perhaps ill have a chance there sometime :)

152. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

12s represent! Y’all just signed Browner as well- keep him off drugs and between he and Reevus you may just have what you need to take care of the Broncos!

Edit: btw, U mad Bro?!!

153. Joshua Atreides
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

154. Kilgore Tully
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

I love it from all sides because Sherman is goddamn hilarious and there’s no need to ever defend or pity Brady. You know what he’s going to say the first time he introduces Sherman to Gisele.

And even if he loses his throwing hand, Belichick can just buy him a sword.

155. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

Or Bronn can train him to throw with his left!

That’s pretty awesome, you make a good point. Brady’s game speaks for itself.

156. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

This is really what I would like to see more of. I can’t bring myself to visit westeros, the parchment look of the site just doesn’t do it for me… Was there some talk of a forum here during the fansided transition?

Posted March 24, 2014 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

Sorry, yours probably just got deleted in the cleanup, you’re not considered a spammer :)

158. Courtjezter
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Yes try holding a lightbulb that has been on for a couple of hours.

159. OldeCrone
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

Kilgore Tully:
    Cumsprite,

Thanks! Glad I asked!

Anyways, how about that…House Penrose? Wait…dammit!

You are right – I was (metaphorically) jumped on from a great height by some “friends” because I had the temerity to find fault with the work of a certain lady who writes historical fiction (with the emphasis on the fiction rather than the history). “Oh but she does meticulous research” they say. I can’t understand why Mr Martin is taking a long time to write his latest “Ice and Fire” book; whether it is lack of motivation, that he is naturally a slow worker, has had periods of ill health (I’m not saying he has, that’s just me speculating), that he is going through a dry period or whatever. I came to the books through the TV series but it’s my understanding that for the first three books at least there were (only) about two years between each volume. I wish he wrote more speedily but one can hardly lock him in a room with bread and water and tell him to hurry up. By the way, the latter part of my comment is my thoughts and not a dig at yourself.

160. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

There’s been several Boba Fetts of the series. The longest-lasting was Randyll Tarly, who got badass props for beating Robert Baratheon in a fight. It’s also been argued that by sending Sam to the Wall and assuming Sam finds the info needed to stop the Others, then Randyll would be directly responsible for saving all of Westeros. People even made T-shirts saying, “Randyll Tarly: Harsh, But Fair” and “Randyll Tarly’s in the Van”.

It probably wouldn’t have gone on for so long except that George said he thought everyone who did that was mental, so that just encouraged people to keep doing it. It went off the boil after AFFC came out though.

Darkstar was apparently GRRM’s deliberate attempt to create a Boba Fett-style figure. Needless to say, it didn’t work.

Tatters,

He’s been doing Wild Cards since 1986 (apparently the success of Wild Cards is the reason he got so much money when he started shopping ASoIaF to publishers) and a lot of other writers depend on it for added income/exposure, so I doubt very much he’ll ever stop doing them. Taking hiatuses for a few years, sure. There’s been a few already.

161. Tatters
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Whats wrong with Darkstar.

162. Daniellica
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides: All the power to you on this. We need more discussion on the thematic and symbolic elements in the show if you ask me. That said, I hope you have a relatively tough hide because the comments section can offer some brutal criticism, ranging from constructive pointers to extreme douchebaggery.

Hah, indeed, I am no stranger to the multivarious forms of douchedom on the interwebs, and think I have a relatively thick hide when it comes to criticism. I tend to enjoy people who disagree with me, since that gives us something to talk about, and how can anyone take personally the folks who just spout random venom? Psht, that is Flea Bottom, no Red Viper.

@MistaSistaWrista: thanking you :)

163. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

@daniellica- Anything, anytime.

164. Daniellica
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: When I think of Boba Fett in asoiaf I think of Ja’qen Hagar, though he’s not exactly taking prisoners. Tarly is a badass… Perhaps general greevus? (I’m thinking clone wars here).

I always had an unsavory crush on Boba Fett, so I’ll vote for Ja’qen in this comparison. Crushing on Randall Tarly is not an option.

165. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

ll: …he’s such a great character. There is nothing sexy about the hypocrisy of this “soldier of justice” so indeed, crushing on Randyll Tarly is not an option. But I cannot wait for this casting. which is why… :ll

“…and I play it on repeat”

Which, ironically, are words from a sexy rock song about a crush.

166. Daniellica
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: :ll

Is that musical notation or a skinny mustache with a fat lip?

167. Jamal
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    House Mormont,

Hell TV show dragons don´t even have names, lets start with that.

They don’t? I didn’t even notice that…

168. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Daniellica,

That was definitely all about the coda- and I’m not talking about the zeppelin record, or the cyclical histories of westeros. From one writer to another… But I only write musik, and I look terrible with a mustache ;)

169. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

Interesting. A good reminder that it’s sometimes worthwhile to extrapolate across the aggregate, see how all of us view something…
    And now for a lesson in patience building!

170. Daniellica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Jamal: Hoyti Von Totiy:
    House Mormont,

Hell TV show dragons don´t even have names, lets start with that.

They don’t? I didn’t even notice that…

And neither have Unsullied viewers, I am certain. Likely the names will be uttered soon, perhaps this season, as they become large enough to do real damage and their personalities differentiate themselves. Names haven’t been vital up to this point in the show, as the dragons have been the size of house pets and their behavior has been quite similar, but now that Drogon is gonna go all, well, Drogon on folks, I think it likely we’ll hear Dany screaming names in demanded compliance.

But every time I guess something I’m totally wrong, so feel free to ignore all of the above. :D

171. Daniellica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: and I look terrible with a mustache ;)

As do I. Ahem.

172. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

That’s good to know. I would have had to commence Internet-crush self destruct and wipe this hard drive for good.

173. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

I’m hoping the names will be given in tandem with barriston dropping some knowledge on Dany about her late brother Rhaegar… Looking forward to looking back a bit this season..

174. Roekest
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

This dude has to be the most star-struck author ever. EVER. One dose of the red carpet and the camera flashes and he quits working. If I were his publisher, I’d assign him an “assistant” to keep him on task.

175. Daniellica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Roekest: If I were his publisher, I’d assign him an “assistant” to keep him on task.

If I were his publisher I’d let him do what the frak he wants, sit back, and watch the money continue to roll in.

@SistaMista–but I feel really left out in the hockey post-season. :( I have to have a fantasy beard. Then again, I also have to have a fantasy team that doesn’t blow it in the first couple rounds of the playoffs, so…

176. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Wasn’t the beard thing in baseball? Alas, I’m northwest, not northeast, and I don’t follow hockey. Sorry to hear about buckling in the postseason, that’s always a bummer.
    I look good with a beard, btw.
    Mustache? Remember mcahanhay in that movie about smoking weed in the seventies? Yeah, that’s me, only much worse…

177. Cumsprite
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Roekest:
    If I were his publisher, I’d assign him an “assistant” to keep him on task.

He has three assistants. What George Martin needs is a ball-breaking editor.

178. Daniellica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: Wasn’t the beard thing in baseball? Alas, I’m northwest, not northeast, and I don’t follow hockey.

I’m from California and I freakin love hockey. Nyaah.

Anyway I sent a wee thing I wrote on the necessity of graphic sex/violence in GoT to the “contact the editor” thingy here, but guess I could always throw it up on the blog I never update that no one reads :D

It would be cool if it was like Destructoid where users have their own lil blogs and if someone posts a good article, the editors republish on the main page. But…that is a lot of work. o_0

179. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Indeed. I think we may be alone here. What is your blog?

180. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Ok these ads are sucking ass

181. Daniellica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

Errrrmmm it’s mostly poetry and whatnot, but you asked:

I also do photography:

Now I will run and hide. :D

182. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Awesome. You can hide, but I will find you.

183. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 3:06 am | Permalink

@dani. Very impressive.

184. Air Dates
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Man R.R Martin is a MACHINE! Can’t wait for the Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere! :)

185. Daniellica
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister:
    @dani.Very impressive.

:) thanking you.

186. Daniellica
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Air Dates: Only 4 more seasons to go too! Who thinks they will end it with a MOVIE like they have suggested in the past? How could it be any better than a regular episode haha :) Some episodes are better than a lot of movies i’ve seen…

I think ending it in a movie is totally unrealistic, unless it’s just a 2-hour GoT episode that airs on HBO, which isn’t really a *movie.* Films by nature need to be able to stand on their own, or at worst, with the other films in their series that many are likely to have seen. But to expect a wide audience to have watched 7-8 years of a TV show, then go to the theater to watch the finale, is pretty ridiculous.

Reading interviews with D&D makes it seem pretty clear that they have a healthy respect for shows that recognize their life span and end accordingly, and they have more say in how the show ends than GRRM, who’s been the one ranting about movies. Maybe he’s fantasizing out loud. Maybe he’s realizing there’s no way he’s going to keep pace with the show and praying they’ll just end the show where he’s at and then produce films to finish everything, which would be completely delusional. :)

Too many maybes to be worth a damn, and enough years out to make so many other things possible to be worth a maybe.

11 days! Wheeee!

187. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

That guy is selling something. Or baiting something. Fuck that guy. The movie idea is ridiculous.

Your defense of sex and violence on GOT, however. Eloquently worded moments of genius. :)

188. Hizdar for President
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

You are so perfect. If I give you 90 days of peace will you marry me?

- Your Radiance

189. Daniellica
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Hizdar for President:
    Daniellica,

You are so perfect.If I give you 90 days of peace will you marry me?

- Your Radiance

hahahahahaahahahahahahaha

190. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Now that’s funny!

191. Daniellica
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Is this still our personal chatroom?