Looking Forward, Game of Thrones Season 4, Part 10: All Posts Must Die
By Oz of Thrones on in Editorial, Speculation.

“Your daddy ain’t here.”

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

Let it be known throughout the realm of WiC that a man set out on a journey to create an unsullied yet viable look forward into the future of one of the greatest shows of our time, and has completed said journey.

Do not shed for me, dear friends of WiC Nation, for this is not the end but the mark of a new beginning; the dawn of a new day; and the conclusion of a wait.

At the same time, don’t rejoice that it’s over.  I mean, you can be thankful it is, but don’t be an ass about it.  It takes time to write this shit.

So here we are… a couple of short weeks away from the season premier.  And unless you are one of the lucky 7,000 or so that was treated to an early entrée, you are likely getting antsy and your stomach is growling. Hold steady, for it is almost time to break out the fine china.

For the unlucky ones like myself, we shall remain stuck in the holding pattern and avoiding Episode 401 spoilers like the plague.  I shall uphold my stated oath even as it pertains to early viewings of episodes and will wait to experience the premier with the masses.  It is known.

And the final chapter of the off-season journey shall be written here.  It shall contain Unsullied, unspoiled truths about the hopes and dreams of Season 4. Many of the primary story lines have thus been covered on earlier posts throughout the drought (see list below).  This chapter will cover a portion of what remains, may unintentionally review what has already been said, and will most likely make the Sullied spew their coffee.

Disclaimer (because I love them):  This post will be filled with randomness and will almost certainly lack in structure as well as general rules typically introduced in English Comp 101.

This is, for lack of a better term, the miscellaneous portion of the off-season version of Looking Forward.  And even better, it was requested by the readers which is the reason I do what I do in the first place.  So without further hesitation, here goes…

Characters Who Have Not Been Introduced Onscreen

Please remember that myself and the associated army are Unsullied, meaning that we have not read the books.  I am aware there are many characters in the books that have not and likely will not be introduced onscreen.  But these are a few names I have heard that I am looking forward to meeting, hopefully in Season 4.

The Red Viper:  If you’ve seen the trailers, you know this guy is in for sure.  And with a name like Red Viper, I totally expect him to be a badass.  Anything less could be a huge letdown.

Mace Tyrell: The “Lord Oaf of Highgarden” was spoken of in Season 3 on multiple occasions by Margeary and Olenna.  The trailers preview the wedding between Joff and Marg, and you have to believe that daddy will be there (edit: just watched the featurette on the royal wedding, and the “Oaf” is defnitely in attendance).

Randyll Tarly:  I remember this name being repeated on a few occasions during Season 1 and actually thought he would have already shown up.  Will this be the season?  I know the rule regarding assumptions when it comes to GoT, but I have to guess that this guy is Sam’s father (considering the conversation between he and Gilly regarding the baby name) and will eventually come into the story.

The Umbers:  We know Rickon, Osha, and Shaggy Dog were en route to see the “great warriors” when S3 ended.  The viewers briefly met Jon Umber in S1, although I’m not sure how many viewers will remember him (I only realized who he was on a recent rewatch).  I don’t know if we will meet any more of the Umbers, but I at least want to know that Stark, Wildling, and Wolf arrive safely and are in good hands.

The Iron Bank:  Tyrion mentions this bank of Braavos in a conversation about loans with Bronn (unless I’m mistaken; please feel free to correct if this not factually sound).  Or maybe it was with Baelish.  Regardless, the realm apparently owes them a lot of coin and I am curious to see if their version of a loan officer shows up and tries to repo the throne.

Unseen Locations

There are few locations that have been mentioned that I would like to actually see onscreen sooner than later.  Remember, I know very little about these locales as I have not read the written verse.  Be patient with the Unsullied… we’re watching TV.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Braavos: Mentioned on numerous occasions with quite a  few characters that hail from there, Braavos remains a mysterious place for viewers.  The Iron Bank is there (or at least a branch).  Maybe Jaqen too.

Casterly Rock:  The seat of the Lannisters.

Highgarden:  Sounds like a beautiful place, and who doesn’t like flowers (other than sufferers of allergies)?

Dorne:  The importance of it has been documented here.  Although I did not read it for fear of spoilers, I do know where it is per my handy Westeros map and hope to see it soon.

The Last Hearth: The seat of House Umber mentioned by Bran before Osha and Rickon left the tower.

Characters That Disappeared and Must Return

The Blackfish: Last seen heading out to piss on a tree (with impeccably good timing).  Let’s hope he comes back.

Edmure:  In a Frey dungeon presumably without his lovely new wife.

Jaqen:  Last seen trading faces with one rough looking dude.  It is time for a man to reappear.

Syrio:  If he happens to still be alive, dancing masters are always welcome.

A Giant:  The viewers (and Jon Snow) were introduced to a giant in Ep. 301 and never saw another one.  I’m ready.  I want to see what happens when one of them pounds a man into the ground.

The Missing Baratheons/Lannisters: Myrcella, Tommen.  Considering Joff is about to take the plunge, I am hoping for the reemergence of the kids.  We will need a flower girl and cloak bearer (and an indigo T-shirt).

Kevan: The missing brother of Tywin has long since been removed from the show.  But royal weddings have a tendency to bring in the long-lost relatives if for nothing more than the party and hors d’oeuvres.

Lancel: Because you can’t make a Lancel sandwich without him.

The Warlocks: When Pyat Pree was barbecued at the end of S2 and the little girl with the blue popsicle fetish appeared in the first Episode of S3, I thought that the warlocks would be on normal rotation throughout the series.  It seemed there was an attraction between their kind and Dany and that D&D were attempting to establish a pattern.  But the lack of them for the final nine episodes has me wondering.  Will we see a return in S4?

Locke:  The good readers of WiC who put up with my endless obsession with this show know that I am a huge Noah Taylor fan.  Yes, he cut off the son of the Hand’s hand, but so what?  The guy can play Charlie’s dad and is still capable of pulling off a character like Locke.  There is a concern that further punishment for the slap-chop on Jaime is coming.  I just hope it does not mean the end of the bear-keeper.  TECH SUPPPORTTT.

Benjen:  Ned’s brother rode off beyond the wall in S1 and has not been seen since.  You’ve got to think that with the last name Stark and his role in Season 1 that we will see him again.  The question is, will he be alive or part of the white-walking dead?

Mance:  The wildling leader was last seen walking away and promising the biggest fire the North has ever seen.  I have been concerned that maybe Ciaran Hands was not reprising his role since he has been noticeably absent from the trailers.  But then, Lightbringer saw him in this and my worries were put to bed.

Beric, Thoros, and Anguy:  These three members, as well as the rest of the BwB, were last seen scurrying off to catch some Lannister bannermen about the same time Arya got caught by the Hound.  I have no idea how they will fit into the current storyline, but I surely hope they are present at some point.

Gendry:  Thanks to Davos, Gendry was able to escape and ended up back in King’s Landing.  I have no clue where his story is going.

Salladhor Saan:  Potentially the coolest pirate ever, Salladhor was last seen saving Davos and against his better judgment, taking him to reunite with Stannis and Red Velvet.  And then, he was gone.  Maybe Stannis has Davos send a raven to his old friend for help heading North.  Then again, maybe Salladhor shows up in KL trying to fulfill his fantasy with the Queen.  Every show near a sea needs a pirate.

And last but not least…

Robin Arryn:  Initially covered in Part 1 with Lysa, the chance of seeing breast boy as well as The Vale again are reason enough for me to watch the show.  Robin was last seen in S1 wanting to see Tyrion fly.  The safe assumption is that Robin has grown up a bit since then.  But considering he is in line to take over The Vale, how will the arranged marriage of Lysa and Littlefinger sit with him?  And will he have been weaned off of the boob for formula or maybe even milk in a sippy cup?

Only time will tell…

Beautiful ladies and fine gents of WiC, this concludes our off-season journey of the Unsullied look at Season 4.  I sincerely hope you have enjoyed the ride as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you.  My quest was to help us pass the time as we all patiently waited for the premiere and I hope that in some small way, this series has helped.  But all things must come to an end.  All posts must die.  Valar Postaeris.

A man shall return soon with our in-season Looking Forward posts beginning most likely next Friday for Looking Forward Episode 31 (or 401 depending on how we number this year) and of course for the Newbie Recaps.

Cheers to all of you and once again I thank you for the great hospitality of the readers of this great site.

REMEMBER, this is an Unsullied post… NO SPOILERS PLEASE!  If your comment pertains to the books or answers some of my fan-obsessed questions listed above, then please refrain from posting them here (this includes any and all hints).   But feel free to say hello!  I always like to hear from you guys.  Thank you in advance!

Until next week (premiere week!), may you all be healthy while building up a tolerance to ale for the duration of the Season, if that is even possible.

Be nice to each other, and may there always be peace in your realm.  -Oz

“Unbent. Unbowed. Unsullied.”

Looking Forward Season 4, Part 9: The Lannisters and the Future of Joffrey

1. Winter Wind
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Hodor

2. Jaymes
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

About Kevan: he’s been on screen just in the background, it’s the same actor from season 1. He was also in some of the Tywin and Arya scenes in season 2. You can see him chatting to Tywin at Sansa’s wedding while Cersei is having story time with Marg.

3. Lady Obara Sand
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Oberyn Martell is more than a badass, he’s basically the god of sex and death. You won’t be disappointed ;)

4. Maginor
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Actually, that would be Postar Morghulis

5. THOROS of BEER
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

What about Nymeria (Arya’s wolf), Biter and Rorge (the two guys in the cage cart with Jaquen), Baelon Greyjoy (Theon’s Dad)?

6. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Nothing to do with the post but, just in and red hot:

GAME OF THRONES Season 4 will air at the same time in the UK as USA. Which is 2am our time.

That means British fans can timeshift and watch GoT over cornflakes before going to work.

Crazy. And awesome.

7. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Maginor,
    Noted! Seems I need to brush up!

THOROS of BEER,
    Definitely should have included Baelon, for sure. Obviously, it’s not an all-inclusive list.

8. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Nothing to do with the post but, just in and red hot:

Crazy. And awesome.

Well, it finishes airing at 11 pm EST, but I just stay up until 3 am afterwards updating afterwards – who could sleep?

9. TheKingWhoKnelt
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Always enjoy reading your posts Oz!!

Love seeing how things are interpreted through the eyes of an unsullied like your self! Thanks for helping keep me entertained these last nine months my good man!!!

Bring on the Episode Recaps and remember, Valar Morghulis

10. 3eyes
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your hard work, Oh Great and Powerful One. I await your Newbie Recaps in wild anticipation.

11. Adam Austin
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Buggar the Human characters

Where’s Nymeria …?

:o)

12. Mariya Martell
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Lady Obara Sand:

Also the God of Tits and Wine.

13. Se Maester
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Jaymes,

? I do recall an older man near Tywin at Sansa’s Wedding, but I’ m pretty sure if that was meant to be Kevan it was only a stand in actor. The Actor from seasons 1-2 is not credited at any point in season 3.

14. Heather
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I appreciate the posts, “this isn’t how I pictured it in my head,” but so happy about some non “in the books” posts.

15. Satin
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

The last time I consciously saw Noah Taylor in anything was “Shine.” Needless to say, Locke was a bit of a departure from that. :D Still very good, though.

Waiting, too, to see what the new season will bring. Will you be doing reviews again, Oz?

16. Cersei's Brain
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Do not read Dragon Demands posts if you don’t want to be spoiled. Just sayin

17. Anonymous
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Cersei’s Brain,

Some people just can’t help saying: well in the books, blah blah blah, and in the books blah blah, in the books….

18. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Satin,
    Indeed… I will still be doing the Newbie Recaps that typically come out on Monday mornings. Lightbringer or myself will most likely have an in-season schedule up some time next week. Thanks Satin!

19. Cumsprite
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Finally. Good content after all that other … stuff.

Thank you, Oz.

20. mariamb
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:
    Satin,
    Indeed…I will still be doing the Newbie Recaps that typically come out on Monday mornings.Lightbringer or myself will most likely have an in-season schedule up some time next week.Thanks Satin!

So glad to know that the Newbie recaps will be back! I am one of the Sullied and I have thoroughly enjoyed your Looking Forward series. You are a smart, perceptive man, Oz.

21. Essos Travel
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Praise R’hllor for the simulcasting news! As a viewer across the sea that doesn’t work on Mondays, clearly His guiding hand wants me to see just how full of dark and full of terrors (and drama, swords and dragons) Sunday nights at 2am can be, and whether I can keep it up for ten weeks. I will not fail your fiery heart, Lord, and if I do, I’ll catch up when I break my fast.

Well done, Sky Atlantic, for arranging an incredibly enjoyable and convenient test of my faith, and I regret to inform my local Red Temple that I will not be available to witness the lighting of the morning fires on Mondays for a while.

22. Turri
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I think it’s safe to assume this season will be the first to tie up more loose ends than it creates. I have always thought of this portion of the overall story as the end of its first act.

23. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,
    You are quite welcome Mr. Sprite.

mariamb,
    That comment is quite flattering. I have successfully fooled you :)

But seriously, the biggest flattery is that you guys enjoyed it and it helped pass some time.

TheKingWhoKnelt,3eyes,
    My pleasure. Looking forward to enjoying this season with you guys. It is going to be outstanding!

24. Valyrian eyes
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Cersei’s Brain:
    Do not read Dragon Demands posts if you don’t want to be spoiled. Just sayin

Second that. Nice post as always Oz! :)

25. spacechampion
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Say, Lino Facioli is 14 now and in 3 episodes according to IMDB. Are they really going to have a teenage Robin Arryn still breastfeeding??

Also, is Lightbringer = Zack?

26. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Valyrian eyes: Second that. Nice post as always Oz! :)

I was trying to be careful and didn’t spoil anything. All I said was that the book chronology just leaves some characters idle for a while so (sort of like the Greyjoys last season) we’re not actually sure if the TV series will return to their subplots right away or pick up on it in Season 5.

And they asked a direct question about the Iron Bank of Braavos which I answered with non-spoiler information.

27. Fire And Blood
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

No! No indigo!

(Great post though, Oz.)

28. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

No offense but why isnt this guy banned, he keep doing the same shit everytime a post like this comes out and even if he is told not to do it . Its clear he is just doing it to be an ass .

29. spacechampion
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:
    No! No indigo!

30. Strider
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

“Regardless, the realm apparently owes them a lot of coin and I am curious to see if their version of a loan officer shows up and tries to repo the throne.”

Hahah good one! Maybe in Martin’s world the bank DOESN’T always win. It is a fantasy after all. Good work Oz.

31. ace
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

If you include the phrase “In the books” on your post on an unsullied article, that is your alarm bells that you should not be posting what you want to post. Let the unsullied figure it out or the show will answer it eventually

32. Silverstormm
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Oz,

Your posts have been like water to the thirsty during the long hard drought that is off season and I for one have thoroughly enjoyed each & every one of them. Long may they continue through each of the barren wastelands of soul torturing, never ending, endurance testing, off seasons! It is known.
    I know I shall continue to enjoy your in-season Looking Forward posts and of course, your newbie recaps as well.
    Maybe you would consider doing a weekly or fortnightly LF post in the next off season, now you’ve had some practice?! Just a suggestion…
    Anyway this sullied appreciates your time and effort thus far, so thank you!

33. Silverstormm
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

ace:
    The Dragon Demands,

If you include the phrase “In the books” on your post on an unsullied article, that is your alarm bells that you should not be posting what you want to post.Let the unsullied figure it out or the show will answer it eventually

^This. Perfect. Like x100
    All us sullied could write stuff like this if we chose to, it doesn’t make you big or clever; it just makes you a prat.
    I mean what is he trying to prove? “I once read a book, look how clever I am; read this VERY important piece of information that I have” ohh purleeease. The unsullied DON’T want or NEED your extra ‘tidbits’ of info, so the fact that you insist on shoving it down their throats just tells people that you are so lost up your own backside you can no longer find your way out! What is wrong with you? Really.

34. Gatorfisch
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

This Sullied cannot wait to see Mark Gatiss as the banker of Braavos! And, to see Braavos on screen.

35. Fire And Blood
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: Hey FAB, am I colorblind, or was a lot of actors at the NY premiere wearing indigo?

No comment. -.-

36. DragonDemandsToSpoil
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest:
    The Dragon Demands,

37. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm: All book info should be banned from these threads, whether it’s considered ‘spoilery’ or not.

Book info IS banned from these threads. Sullied viewers are encouraged to keep any comments to a minimum in these posts because they have a habit of not knowing they’re spoiling or heavily hinting. Confirming/denying/telling OZ or an Unsullied that they’re half-right is not okay. There should be NO discussion of the books in these posts.

38. Eleanor
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Oz, I thought you were announcing that your presence on WiC-net was coming to an end! Thank heavens it’s not. After all, all men must serve.

39. James
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

As a book reader, I definitely enjoy these posts. I just wanted to say that I hope you do them next year and the more the merrier!

40. Youssef
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

“Tech Supporttttt”…..lmaooo. Seems you’ve watched Vanilla Sky.

41. Monica
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Oz,

Thanks for your posts, the Sullied enjoy them, too! They got us through the long winter…

42. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Eleanor:

That’s what I thought too! It was a scary couple of minutes there.

For unsullied; there’s a nifty quick recap of seasons 1-3 on Io9 if anyone needs a quick refresher course. http://io9.com/a-quick-and-dirty-refresher-course-on-game-of-thrones-1551373708
    There’s no book/season 4 spoilers in the articles but there’s a chance there might be in the comments.

43. Ashara D
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Eleanor,

So did I. Whew! Love ur point of view Oz! Keep it coming!

44. Khal_ Rhaego
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Youssef,

Aye! Noah also played a young Hitler in the John Cusak movie Max

45. MRR
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Nice post! It’s nice to see that some “non-readers” are able to actually keep track of who’s who on the show. I kinda feel that the show does a poor job of establishing names and keeping characters straight, so it’s refreshing to see people who haven’t read the books but actually “get it”.

P.S.: You mean “premiere” not “premier”. :P

Ghost:
    George says he is putting a new sample chapter on his website shortly. It’s an old chapter that got cut but hasn’t been read before.

That’s not really relevant to this thread at all… and it wasn’t a “cut” chapter. It’s just a chapter that hasn’t been previewed yet.

Posted March 26, 2014 at 3:05 am | Permalink

Another great post, well done on completing the series. Started back in July …. wow, time flies! :)

47. Reza
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 3:11 am | Permalink

The Umbers somehow totally vanished from Season 2 on! I dont like the idea that the show runners might have assumed viewers have poor memory to move forward without any explanation in the show! Lord Umber was a pretty major character in Season 1 (towards the end)! He was the main banner man! They could’ve said a simple line in Season 2 that he is off on a mission somewhere or something, but no he just disappeared for good! This has always bugged me!!!

48. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Same here, where I live. Live watching in the middle of the night!

49. Udi
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Haha!
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you remarked on this.
    Indigo ftl!
    Btw – In the books it says Indigo is… (sorry, couldn’t resist hehe)

50. SM4e
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 7:34 am | Permalink

I want Kevan back so badly, but I have low hopes as he wasn’t included in Season 3 and I don’t think I have seen him in any promotional stuff.

51. FIRE-n-BLOOD
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 7:56 am | Permalink

The greatest mystery is what did Pod do to the whores?

52. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

MRR,

Wow he missed a letter, lets crucify him ! As for the show doing a poor job of explaining stuff i would like to see you do better in 10 hours of television with multiple characters involved since you talk so high and mighty.

53. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Braavos, good sir, on a job well done.

Your topic series gave me inspiration to start doing something similar with another franchise a few months back. I was going into it blind and I knew a lot of folks on other site and I recognized that they would enjoy the Unsullied perspective. I’ve had a lot of fun with them and many people have told me how cool it’s been reading along with someone’s first impressions, so I want to thank you for giving me the push to make it happen. It really is an exciting little spin. :)

54. Jonny Bravo
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Jaymes

Ian Gelder, the actor who plays Kevan hasn’t been seen since season 2. There are plenty of extras in Lannister armour at Sansa and Tyrion’s wedding, alas Kevan isn’t one of them.
    Judging by the images we have seen of the royal wedding, neither he or Lancel will be appearing either.

55. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Silverstormm,
    This was a very heartfelt message and I appreciate everything you said. It is readers like you that keep me writing for WiC even though I seem to have a growing lack of time to devote to it. I realize what I do here is not necessarily enjoyed by everyone, but the interaction I have with the ones that do make every minute worth it.

Cheers to you Stormm! And if I can handle a little more in the future, a man shall deliver. It is known.

56. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Youssef,

Vanilla Sky FTW! Been waiting for someone to pick up on it. You ser have won a subscription to the jelly of the month club, as soon as I purchase the jelly company.

BTW, are you the Youssef that used to be referred to as “Cat” and gave us all a ride on the Peace Train?

57. gisizzlah
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

i love reading the unsullied view… ‘lancel sandwich’ cracked me up….
    … interesting to see how lancel is gonna handle Jaimie’s return…

58. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Oz!!! Well done. A nice end to a nice series of posts, too bad there are only 10 of them (like there are only 10 episodes). I do have some more burning questions of my own that I hope we can answer…

1. Will we get to see Drunk Cersei (TM) again?

There are few pleasures greater than Drunk Cersei, don’t you agree?

2. Which of our interesting minor characters will show up?

Oz, you’ve already flagged the much-loved Salladhor Saan, and I’d also throw in Quaithe of the Shadow (the freaky one from season 2 with the interlocking tiles that made a mask over her face, spent most of her time taunting Jorah Mormont), Jon Umber (as stated), Kevan Lannister (as stated), Illyrio Mopatis (unseen since midway through Season 1…can we have him back, reasons be damned?), and Lysa Arryn (already mentioned).

3. Is Alliser Thorne (scheduled to return) still a raging douche?

I think we know the answer to this.

4. What new “throw these 2 together” pairings will we get this year? Will any of them be as good as Tyrion/Bronn, Tyrion/Varys, Tywin/Arya or Jaime/Brienne?

There’s always some kind of odd coupling that makes this show, so I’m looking forward to a few more good ones, let’s hope.

5. Is anyone worse than Joffrey?

I mean really. Some would argue Ramsey Snow (more sadistic, even) or Gregor Clegane (same). They don’t have the scope of Joffrey though. Right?

59. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

First of all, thank you o’ GreatJon of the Slumber. 10 seemed to be a nice round number and matched up nicely with the series. Speaking of, I am really hoping for 8 seasons (80 episodes) instead of the possible 70 mentioned in various other posts.

1. Drunk Cersei would be nice to revisit (as long as she is not trying to drug one or both of her children). Maybe she will get tipsy at the wedding?

2. I would like to see all of those, especially Quaithe. Could she possibly catch up with Dany and the Jedi while they are still in Essos? And what the hell does she look like under those floor tiles?

3. Thorne is an ass, but a necessary ass I suppose. Curious to see how he and Jon interact now that Jon has shown his loyalty to the Watch and should have somewhat proven himself in the eyes of Aliser. And is Aliser the next in line to take over as Lord Commander? I find myself looking forward to the Wall stuff more than usual this season.

4. Odd couplings… there are so many possibilities. Lysa/Littlefinger. Jaime/Cersei, Jaime/Tyrion, Jaime/Tywin (we haven’t seen any of these in a while and while they are not necessarily odd, it will be interesting to see them interact). Cersei/Breinne. And of course Bolton/Ramsay.

5. I think Joffrey takes this one just because of the power he holds (or thinks he holds). Ramsay would definitely be a worthy opponent if the two should face each other in say, a Celebrity Death Match?

What say you?

60. Strider
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

At 5: based solely on the TV show so far, I’d personally find Joff quite impossible to surpass. Not only the extent to which he can wreak havoc but while the others are surely less developed and their cruelty is directed at specific targets, they have a higher power they have to answer to. Joff is dangerously unchecked and quite simply has the power. Whether he even realizes how Tywin for example could take that away from him is questionable. Which means he has no fear. Add to that god complex the irresponsibility of the age and you have a dangerous combination.

61. Lulu's Mum
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

This sounds like it’s going to be a spoiler but isn’t, so no need to worry. I posted a link to an interview with Joe Dempsey (Gendry) the other week (interview is potentially spoilery). He was talking about a new show he’s in called New Worlds and I’ve just seen a trailer for it (starts next week on Channel 4 in the UK).

I’ve no idea if Gendry re-appears in GOT, but from the (very) quick glimpse of him I saw in the trailer he seems to have borrowed Lancel’s hair and had a distinct Lannister vibe going. So if he doesn’t appear in S4 and/or Lancel does but seems to have much less hair, you’ll know what’s happened.

62. Little Lord Lamprey
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

First of all, thank you o’ GreatJon of the Slumber.10 seemed to be a nice round number and matched up nicely with the series.Speaking of, I am really hoping for 8 seasons (80 episodes) instead of the possible 70 mentioned in various other posts.

1.Drunk Cersei would be nice to revisit (as long as she is not trying to drug one or both of her children).Maybe she will get tipsy at the wedding?

2.I would like to see all of those, especially Quaithe.Could she possibly catch up with Dany and the Jedi while they are still in Essos?And what the hell does she look like under those floor tiles?

3.Thorne is an ass, but a necessary ass I suppose. Curious to see how he and Jon interact now that Jon has shown his loyalty to the Watch and should have somewhat proven himself in the eyes of Aliser.And is Aliser the next in line to take over as Lord Commander?I find myself looking forward to the Wall stuff more than usual this season.

4.Odd couplings… there are so many possibilities.Lysa/Littlefinger.Jaime/Cersei, Jaime/Tyrion, Jaime/Tywin (we haven’t seen any of these in a while and while they are not necessarily odd, it will be interesting to see them interact).Cersei/Breinne.And of course Bolton/Ramsay.

5. I think Joffrey takes this one just because of the power he holds (or thinks he holds).Ramsay would definitely be a worthy opponent if the two should face each other in say, a Celebrity Death Match?

What say you?

Let me express my undying love for Mr. Oz and his great posts. Keep them coming. You make me feel like I’m experiencing the whole “newbie” sensation all over again.

Speaking of the number of seasons, I believe there will be 12 seasons. Seven seasons based on the current books, one season where they recreate “Waiting for Godot” with George R.R. as Godot, one season where all the characters in Westeros and Essos board Ironborn ships and storm the city of Santa Fe laying siege to George’s house. then three more seasons for the final two books. It all ends with Drogon setting fire to Mr. Martin’s backside when it becomes apparent that everything was just a childhood dream of Daenerys.. she’s still a little girl playing in the garden of the big house with the red door.

1. Drunk Cersei would be even better as… stoned Cersei, crack head Cersei, acid trippin’ Cersei, and of course… Meth lab Cersei

2. Quaithe may return but she’s currently on tour getting puked on by a vomit artist. Sorry…

3. Could be that Alliser is a “thorn” in Jon’s side.. (coyly batting eyes)

4. Odd couplings… Personally, I would like to see.. Varys/Theon (what happens when the Non-existent bumps up against the Non-existent), Olenna/Ygritte (you put an arrow in my chamberpot!) or Oberyn/Melisandre (now that would be a “real” Red Wedding).

5. Of course Joffrey.. Aryan spawn of Hitler and Eva Braun.

63. dubq
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Jaymes:

That’s actually not the same actor (Ian Gelder). He hasn’t been on the show since his speaking part in Season 2, Episode 8. Hope he does come back, though.

64. David The Grey
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Great read, Oz! The Robin Arryn “sippy cup” joke was hilarious, and brings to mind many images, most of them horrible. Count me in as also missing Salladhor Saan, and his urge to “feck” the Queen. One thing I LOVE about this show having an international cast is all of the various accents we get. If Ygritte would’ve delivered that line, it would be “fook the Queen”. ha ha! (I’m rewatching S3 right now and am in awe with Rose Leslie all over again.) Thanks for the funny article, as always!
    So very much looking forward to S4!

65. John
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks Oz!
    Looking forward for your looking forward! ;-)

66. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m a book reader, and I have to say……

Thanks. This was a great read, as always.

67. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

For some reason the post I made apologizing got deleted.

Anyway I wonder if we’ll actually see Highgarden this season or not; I had hoped we’d see it last season.

68. MRR
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest:
    MRR,

First off: You think me pointing out a spelling correction with a silly-face is “crucifying” him??? How long have you been on the internet? I wasn’t making fun of him; I was trying to be helpful. I’ve politely pointed out little errors in the past—just like I did here—and Oz has responded thankfully, so I’m not sure what your problem is.

Furthermore, I am perfectly entitled to have a critical opinion of certain aspects of the show, regardless of my own personal ability to produce a television program. Two very specific examples of how naming on the show could be improved come to mind: In S2E1 Tyrion greetys Tommen and Myrcella with, “You! …And you!” Their names could have been included instead of just “you” to help reinforce the names, so that people recognize the characters when Myrcella is sent to Dorne later that season. A second example: Melisandre’s name wasn’t spoken on the show until something like 7 episodes into the 2nd season. I know that writing and editing this show is a difficult challenge, but D&D are by their own admission novices in the field. They do great work, but they also make mistakes.

69. Chris
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Along with Nymeria, what about Ghost? Great work on these posts, thanks for keeping us entertained during our 9 month winter.

70. Jamie Newman
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

funny as always! :) ONLY 10 DAYS!!

71. Deez
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Without spoiling anything, can someone answer this question. Will Blackfish be in season 4? I remember hearing he was a fan favorite and am assuming he’s plotting some sort of revenge for dirty ol frey.

72. Oz of Thrones
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

MRR,

No worries here MRR. I realized the misspelling after I posted, just never got a sec to log back in and revise. No harm. You guys keep me on my toes. And thank you for the kind words.

David The Grey, John, Sister Wrister, Chris, Jamie Newman,
    You are all quite welcome. Glad you enjoyed our journey and like you, I am stoked about S4. It will be a great ride!

Deez,
    I personally cannot confirm as I truly stay away from all news that could even come close to being considered spoiler territory. Possibly HmR or Fury could be able to confirm. Let’s hope he shows up… I can’t stand a loose end.

73. outdoorcats
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Hey Oz, since you’re such a big Roose fan, have you seen “The Fall” with Gillian Anderson? It features Michael McElhatton (Roose!) in a good supporting role. It also has Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy)–I guess because they’re both shot in Northern Ireland.

Actually, it makes me want to cast some of its actors on this show…unfortunately the great JAMIE DORNAN landed the lead role in Fifty Shades of Grey, too bad b/c he has a very Thrones-y look to him.

How about the kissed-by-fire, lovely and talented NIAMH MCGRADY?

Or the great Irish character actor JOHN LYNCH?

I’m not even sure who they should play (nor should I even say if I did, obviously), but make it happen, Nina Gold! XD

74. outdoorcats
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Deez,

There’s no way to answer that question without getting into spoilerly territory though. So let’s just say: wait and see.

75. John
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Don’t know if it’ has been posted before, but

Non-spoilery fun fact:
    Kit Harington (Jon Snow) had a butt double in season 3 (cave scene, “Kissed by Fire”), because of his broken ankle.

76. davyJones
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

lack of info on the whereabouts of the Great Jon really makes Robb’s storyline season 2-3 feel incomplete, and the show doesn’t acknowledge his existence… it cheapens the in show world :(

77. lexxy
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

davyJones:
    it cheapens the… show…

Uhuh.. so true. But as long as famous people like madonna are dressing up like Dany, and stuff like that, who gives a flying pig’s head? Actually, most people are extremely positive, especially in areas of the world that are doing well economically. I hope that our producers D&D&HBO, wet rags that they are, deliver a very True Blood like season as they have been promising for the last 4 months, but ..you know… whatever. They do what they can.

78. lexxy
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Nothing to do with the post but, just in and red hot:

Crazy. And awesome.

This is amazing news about the uk and us broadcasting at the same time. It’s like the global industry is responding to the demand (and combating piracy at its root with supply). And also, this is a wonderful thread… great effort Oz….

79. Gosensgo
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Help! Anyone! No spoilers though!
    I have been rewatching all the seasons. I am currently at Season 3 episode 7. At this point I know what happens, I know who Ramsay Snow is. I still DONT understand why he is torturing Theon. What is the point? He knows the stark boys are alive. We know that Bolton is NOT on the stark side any more. I dont get! The way he did everything… can someone make this clearer for me??? I have watched these season 4 times (season 3 on three times).. HELP

80. Roekest
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Gosensgo:
    Help! Anyone! No spoilers though!

Ramsay is a psychopath; plain and simple. There is a plan there hatched by his father, but it has little to do with his torturing of Theon.

1. […] bodies strong Oz’s Looking Forward series Small thoughts on Season 4 so far Eric visits an Ommegang release party Spoiler defense […]

2. […] Topics Six souls strong Oz’s Looking Forward series Small thoughts on Season 4 so far Eric visits an Ommegang party Spoiler defense Disappointments? […]