Game of Thrones Season 4 premieres in Dublin
By Lightbringer on in Events.

Last night, the Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin hosted a special screening of the Game of Thrones Season 4 premiere episode. Hundreds of fans gathered to be some of the first to see the new episode, and were also treated to a Q&A session with Michael McElhatton, Kristian Nairn, Liam Cunningham, and Ian McElhinney.

Independent.ie spoke with the cast on the red carpet, who discuss their Irish co-star Jack Gleeson and his decision to stop acting once his run on Game of Thrones comes to an end. Michael McElhatton talks about the fan reaction to his Stark betrayal, and Ian McElhinney discusses the Thrones phenomenon and his character Barristan Selmy. The cast also tease this season’s big events and body count.

Spin 103.8 has some soundbites from Liam Cunningham on the possibility of ending Game of Thrones with a movie, and Michael McElhatton on what’s in store for Roose Bolton in Season 4.

The Daily Edge went to the premiere armed with one very important question for the cast. Which Game of Thrones character would they kill off and why?

Liam Cunningham: Who would I kill off?I think it’s pretty obvious isn’t it? That Melisandre. That Red Woman has to go doesn’t she? She’s the bane of my life.

Michael McElhatton: I think you’ve got to get rid of Joffrey, haven’t you? He’s just horrible, I can’t think of ANY redeeming features for him so he’d be my top most hated character.

Ian McElhinney: Oh… well I’d certainly kill Joffrey. Now Tyrion is dead on, he’s a loveable rogue and he’s got to survive. Jaime is becoming a better person so he’ll probably survive. Even Cersei is getting some redemption because the father is SUCH a b***ard. So the father has to go, and at some point but not yet because she’s so good in it, Cersei’s got to go as well. I’ve got my sights on the Lannisters.

Kristian Nairn: I would actually kill Bran because we sort of traced back all the problems to him falling out that window and disobeying his mother. If he had just not climbed he wouldn’t be handicapped, he wouldn’t have started a war with Westeros so it actually all comes down to that.

TV3 also interviewed the cast, but unfortunately for most, the video can only be viewed from Ireland.

1. Rygar
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

FANS, BY THEIR VERY EXISTANCE, ARE SUBJECTIVE

2. Carne
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Kristian makes everyone look tiny.

3. iggy1eco
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Michael McElhatton may be Irish, but would pass up as a Russian to me =p

4. tysnow
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Awesome, Ian trimmed down and getting in shape for major fight scenes to come.
    His weight gain last year was probably for a role in another show/film.

5. Greenjones
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Did he say that somewhere or is that just an inference? For all we know he had a pot belly in season 1 it just wasn’t visible behind the armour. Personally I think that past a certain age a man ought to have a bit of paunch.

6. Walter Harrow
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Has anyone ever seen Perrier’s Bounty? It has a few GOT actors in it (Liam Cunningham, Conleth Hill, Francis Magee, Michael McElhatton) and its weird to now see them all in the biggest TV Series on the planet

7. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Who are the IMPS?

8. Nezzer
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

MY LORD BOLTON AAAAAAAAAAAH! WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING AWESOME??!! OH MY FEELINGS.

Seeing Mike McHat going to these events is so fucking amazing. I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to it.

9. Tori Targaryen
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Off topic, but I found a site that’s displaying some HD images of season 4. Never seen some of them before: http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/got/gallery12/gallery.htm

10. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

I approve of more Michael McElhatton

11. Nezzer
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Is there somewhere I can watch the full panel?

12. F. Snow
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

Wow, Myranda is a very hot lady and her cloths are very Bolton-ish.

13. King Stannis
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

F. Snow,

What makes them Bolton-ish? Not trying to be a smart ass but I haven’t got the Bolton cloak down as I do with Lannisters, Tully and Tyrrels.

14. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 12:23 am | Permalink

King Stannis,

All Bolton clothes have have at least 1 ‘x’ on it somewhere, Roose and Locke’s chest and now myranda’s arm. It’s their sigil, the flayed man (on an x)

15. loco73
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Hodor, hodor, hodor, hodor! Hodor hodorificus! Holly crap I forgot how much of a mountain Kristian Nairn is! Cool pic. These guys are soo good on the show!

16. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 2:50 am | Permalink

31 – “Two Swords”
    32 – “The Lion and the Rose”
    33 – “Breaker of Chains”
    34 – “Oathkeeper”
    35 – “First of His Name”
    36 – “The Laws of Gods and Men”
    37 – “A Thousand Eyes and One”
    38 – “The Gift of Mercy”
    39 – “The King Beyond the Wall”
    40 – “Joy to Ashes”

17. Jenny
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Love the photo. I was like “these guys look so harmless…” AAH! IT’S ROOSE!

18. Shady_Grady
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Michael McElhatton’s smirk remains disturbing.

19. Boojam
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 5:27 am | Permalink

Kristian is too big to have played the Mountain!
    He truly has a jolly personality.

20. Hounded
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Ahhh the Irish lads. Lookin’ good. Look forward to seeing more of their characters.

Davos meeting Wyman Manderly.
    Roose presiding over things in Winterfell.
    Barristan taking control in Meereen. Hope they design him some awesome dragon-themed armour!
    Hodor fighting off white walkers when Bran wargs into him!

21. Carne
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Jane,

Myranda, one og Ramsay’s girls.

22. Ser Tahu
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 6:15 am | Permalink

Greatness Arrisessss,
    My guesses:

4×07 – The Gift of Mercy
    4×08 – Say Her Name
    4×09 – Night Gathers
    4×10 – ??? I like to think it will be ‘Only a Cat of a Different Coat’, but that is a bit long. I do admittedly like your suggestion of ‘Joy to Ashes’.

23. Sergei Walankov
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Wow, McElhatton, Cunningham and McElhinney are really short.

24. Vikestad
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 8:18 am | Permalink

OFF TOPIC, but our unsullied friends at http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com will become homeless in May when the site closes. Any way we can find a place for them? Love reading their speculation.

25. Satin
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Sergei Walankov,

nope, they aren’t. That’s all Kristian. He’s a big lad.

Someone needs to get Kristian, Gwen, Sophie, Thor and Rory in one place. And then have them face off with Kit, Joe and Maisie.

Vikestad,

last I heard they might be looking at previously.TV, which is run by a former TwoP associate, and has a GoT board which is unsullied-friendly.

26. gisizzlah
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Liam Cunningham is very cool…

27. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Greatness Arrisessss,
    My guesses:

4×07 – The Gift of Mercy
    4×08 – Say Her Name
    4×09 – Night Gathers

Lmao, I saw ‘Joy to Ashes’ on HBO’s site so I decided it would be an episode title. A naive guess but a decent title nonetheless.

Here’s what I would personally like:

37 – “The Gift of Mercy” (Tyrion demands mercy but is sentenced to death, so he demands a trial by combat. Gregor slices up some people in King’s Landing and one man falls to his knees and pleads for mercy, but is denied it. Sandor begs Arya for mercy but is denied it.)
    38 – “Say Her Name” (It may not apply to everyone’s storylines but so what? Someone’s going to tell me ‘Lord Snow’ from S1 didn’t apply to only Jon? Why can’t Oberyn have an episode title focused on him? It’s his big episode.)
    39 – “The King Beyond the Wall” (For the multiple meanings)
    40 – “The Fall” (For the multiple meanings)

28. pntrlqst
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Episode seven it titled “Mockingbird.” Check HBO.com

29. Carne
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink
  30. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

pntrlqst:
    Episode seven it titled “Mockingbird.” Check HBO.com

Huh…? Why Mockingbird? Why an episode named after Littlefinger’s sigil?

31. pntrlqst
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Greatness Arrisessss,

Perhaps Littlefinger’s actions will be revealed earlier than expected so we go into Tyrion’s trial-by-combat knowing he’s an innocent man. Perhaps they’ve moved up ‘The Fall’ as well, as some have speculated.

32. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Well, anyway.

38 – “The Gift of Mercy”
    39 – “The King Beyond the Wall”
    40 – “The Fall”

I still stand by this.

33. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink

pntrlqst:
    Greatness Arrisessss,

That would be quite interesting actually. Hmm. It would also save some room in the finale for other moments.

34. Satin
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

pntrlqst:
    Greatness Arrisessss,

If imdb is right (and please read this in the same voice as “if two-headed unicorns actually exist”) Sweetrobin will be in Episodes 7 and 10. I know that that doesn’t proof that Lysa won’t die in Ep 7, but I think that will be the episode where they get married, and she won’t get the drop before Ep 10.

35. Carne
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Satin,

Might have been added to those episodes by his agent. Either that or someone just randomly submitted him to episode 7 and it turned out to be right (‘Mockingbird’ sounds like a Littlefinger centered episode).

36. Turri
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

40 – “A Lannister always pays his debts”

*giddy*

37. Satin
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Carne:
    Satin,

Absolutely, to both. (I know imdb is not entirely unreliable, especially when it’s something this specific, but given that really everyone can edit it, I still like adding the disclaimer. I’m just saying. “Christopher Eccleston is Stannis.”)
    I think it makes sense he gets one, actually. Petyr has been up to a lot of scheming offscreen, after all.

38. cosca
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Turri,

Is that actually it, or is that your prediction?

39. Whispering Walda
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

iggy1eco,

Putin wishes he was Michael McElhatton!

40. Carne
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Micro news: Josef Altin (Pyp) and Daniel Portman (Pod) tweeted that they have been doing ADR for season 4 today.

41. JamesL
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Here’s a S4 premiere episode review

I got a kick out of this typo

within the first ten minutes we’ve already caught up with Daenerys, Jon Snow, Jaime, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya – and that’s before we get to the latest new arrival in the form of Kristian Nairn’s Oberyn Martell

. lol

42. Satin
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

JamesL: in the form of Kristian Nairn’s Oberyn Martell

That… would be different. :D

43. Carne
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Satin,

He would probably look bigger than Hafthor.

44. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

JamesL:
    Here’s a S4 premiere episode review

I got a kick out of this typo

.lol

Tyrion: “Oberyn? Did not expect to see you here…”

Oberyn: “Hodor? Hodor Hodor Hodor. Hodor Hodor Hodor? Hodor.

Tyrion: “I see…”

45. Strider
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Greatness Arrisessss: Tyrion: “Oberyn?Did not expect to see you here…”

Oberyn: “Hodor?Hodor Hodor Hodor.Hodor Hodor Hodor?Hodor.

Tyrion: “I see…”

LOL! That was hilarious. And who knows? who’s to say that Hodor couldn’t totally handle Oberyn’s spear properly :P

46. Abyss
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink
  47. Greg
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Entertainment Weekly gave the premier an”A” and I saw it at Barclays and would have to agree

48. Valaquen
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Greg:
    Entertainment Weekly gave the premier an”A”and I saw it at Barclays and would have to agree

Is there an online review anywhere? I can’t find it.

49. Mav
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

NOWS YOUR CHANCE BARRISTAN! KILL LORD BOLTON!!!!!!!

50. Greg
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Valaquen,

I actually get the magazine in print lol I’m oldschool. I took a pic of it…it’s small

51. Valaquen
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Greg,

Better than nothing, thanks!

52. iggy1eco
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Whispering Walda,

Now that you mention the guy…can’t help but see the similarities…

53. matt
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Holy crap, The Roose, Ser Barristan, Davos AND Hodor? In the same room??

They might not be the super famous cast members, but god damn they are the coolest!

54. Galen Firestone
    Posted March 28, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I love this picture. It’s hilarious. Michael in his oversized jacket with a “I don’t want to be here” look on his face (he probably DOES want to be there, but still), Kristian looking extra dapper and towering over everyone, Liam looking like a hipster, and Ian the only normal looking one of the bunch. Add in that I’m pretty sure none of these four have ever been in the same shot, and it just adds to the hilarity.

55. Blood Crow
    Posted March 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

McElhatton as Roosey is amazing!