Kit Harington on Jon’s purpose and becoming a leader
By Ours is the Fury on in Interview.
Kit Harington in TV Guide

Harington in TV Guide

Kit Harington is featured in two new interviews this week discussing the direction of Jon Snow in season 4. The actor chats about the Night’s Watchman’s ambitions and hopes now that he has rejoined his brothers at the Wall and abandoned his wildling lover Ygritte.

“For Jon, Season 4 is about becoming a leader,” Harington tells TV Guide. “You’ll see him on the battlefield rallying his men.”

As for the impending invasion and the woman he left behind, he says, “Jon knows the wildlings are going to attack the Wall and that Ygritte will be with them. So in that young-man-in-love way, he’s really hoping he sees her.”

Executive producer David Benioff remarks in TV Guide, “Jon now has a following among the younger brothers of the Watch, and his role as a leader is crucial in setting up the series’ endgame.”  He adds that it’s their “our biggest season for action and visual effects.”

Jon is indeed changing this season; according to Harington in his interview with Zap2it : “What’s going to be quite interesting this year is seeing how brutal Jon becomes. [...] It’s a slow progress this season, but losing his love, losing his whole family in the Red Wedding, spending two years as a spy undercover, and then coming back to Castle Black hardens someone. To put it into a sort of modern context, when a young man goes off to war in our day and age, they’ve got that thousand-mile stare, and I think that’s what Jon comes back with a bit.”

The actor goes on to say that while his purpose might appear to be protecting the Wall as part of the Night’s Watch, “actually what’s going on inside him is a far deeper purpose about proving who he is to everybody. He’s got a very dangerous level of ambition that he doesn’t really know about, and also there’s vengeance there somewhere.”

Visit Zap2it and TV Guide to read the full interviews.

1. Shan
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Hodor!?

Edit: YES ok just wanted to hodor once sorry

2. cosca
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

All sounds good. I’m pretty hyped for the Wall story line this season. Giving the raiding party their own story line is great way to build up the threat and the tension, as well as further develop the Wildling culture, and the attack on Craster’s Keep should be very satisfying. I was pretty disappointed that the mutineers were killed off page by an elk-riding zombie in the books. Battle at the Wall seems pretty epic as well.

3. jun snuu
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

“…his role as a leader is crucial in setting up the series’ endgame.”

Wow he specifically said the word “endgame”, does that mean Kit knows the ending like D and D too? hmmm

4. The Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

So they pretty much told us Jon Snow will last until the end…

5. Stone Cold Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

jun snuu:
    “…his role as a leader is crucial in setting up the series’ endgame.”

6. The Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

jun snuu,

David said that, not Kit.

Kit has said recently he does not know the ending of his character. He has said that he has theories on Jon’s mother but does not want to say it in public.

7. The Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Stone Cold Bastard,

I disagree. There will be no name change. He will embrace being the bastard and take the throne as a “Snow”.

8. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

jun snuu,

That quote is from David Benioff, actually.

Either way, it’s telling.

9. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Stone Cold Bastard,

No it doesn’t, how would you get that far from “leader”? At least I seriously hope it doesn’t, I always thought that kind of ending would go against everything the series is about.

10. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Or he’s bullshitting. Anything’s possible.

11. loki
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

spending two years as a spy undercover

time runs strange in this world

12. FJPD
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

loki: time runs strange in this world

That certainly stood out to me as well. Either a gross error, or they really, really failed to showcase this passing of time.

13. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Jon is the best character in the books and on the show! I just skip everyone’s chapter until I find his. And I only watch his scenes on the show.

14. cosca
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

FJPD,

It’s never said in the show, Kit probably just threw it out as a random number. There’s no way it’s more than one year.

15. jun snuu
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Ooops my bad, I was just skimming all through the text and got excited. Anyway, whether it’s BS or not they should be careful of their wording to avoid accidentally spoiling anything.

16. Strider
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Gods be good! That is just cruel. I mean this lovers on different side of the war stuff never ends well, does it Romeo?!
    Cannot wait for Tormund and Ygritte scenes. Wildlings at the Wall!!!

17. Carne
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink
  18. Annara Snow
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Stone Cold Bastard: Benioff said that, not Harington, but still: this seems to indicate what many suspect, that Jon Snow will become Jon Stark and end up on the Iron Throne.

Uh, being a leader =/= being on the Iron Throne. By that logic, the only characters who have been leaders so far are Robert Baratheon and Joffrey. And poor Tommen.

19. Daniellica
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

loki:
    spending two years as a spy undercover

time runs strange in this world

Indeed! When did that happen!

And the quote about the “endgame” in no way implies he will sit the Iron Throne. It does, however, make the DwD cliffhanger less of a cliff, though most of us seem to know (in general) what’ll happen next, this kind of confirms that Jon will become unDead…and marry Wight Ygritte and have crazy vampire babies that sparkle in the sun?

I always interpreted the diversion of Mel last season to help support the occasion when she has to resurrect Jon, especially with the emphasis there placed on Thoros’ ability to bring Beric back to life. What I wonder is…how will the resurrection change Jon? Beric talks of losing a bit of himself each time. What will Jon lose? What will he gain (aside from, yanno, not dying and stuff)? How does being a warg affect this?

But seriously…two years????

20. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Clearly Kit meant that he’s been gone since season 2 and in his brain he counted to 4 and that was 2 and came up with 2-years.

21. Annara Snow
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Daniellica: Indeed! When did that happen!

But seriously…two years????

I think the only thing fans aren’t sure about is how exactly he will be brought back. Melisandre may resurrect him, Thoros-style; but there’s also the prologue with Varamyr and his second life inside a wolf, and we all know that Jon is a warg with abilities that he hasn’t fully understood or developed yet…

22. John M W
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I think it’s just a slip on Kit’s part. Jon started out as a spy at the end of S2 (which aired in 2012), so he’s likely talking more real-world time – as it has been 2 seasons/years.

23. BlackTalon
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

It must have been some brain fart – in the books I got the impression it was more like 3-4 weeks.

24. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I think he really meant the season endgame….

Jon just isn´t “agressive” enough to go all the way to the throne.

25. Greatness Arrisessss
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Anyway I don’t think Jon will get the iron throne. That would be too LOTR-like and too much of a fantasy cliche, which GRRM does not like to use. If anything, he will die just being a bastard. A happy bastard.

26. Summer
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

“spending two years as a spy undercover”

Two years?? Can anybody confirm? Is it like that in the books? They probably mean, seasons 2 and 3 right?

27. Balerion The Cat
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Carne,

They’re clearly new, thank you!

Theon doesn’t look that bad…

28. TheKingWhoKnelt
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I think he’s just got that number from 2012-14 rather then in-world time. From the timeline in my head I reckon since S2ep10 to S3ep10 is more like two or so months in world, sound about right?

29. SHK12344
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    I think he really meant the season endgame….

Jon just isn´t “agressive” enough to go all the way to the throne.

Jon doesn’t need to be aggressive, it is possible for the Throne to come to him. It is possible by the end only Jon may remain among all other clamaints to the throne. Stannis, Danny, Tommen will likely be dead, so only person remaining with military might and rightful claim will be Jon.

Everyone else played Game of Throne to win it and they lost. The person to wins it at end will be the one who never sought out the throne

30. Morna the Witch
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Jeez, people, he probably just means over the course of two seasons (two years of the show). As for the leader/ endgame hint, I have always felt that if he survives his stabbing he’ll go on to be some kind of leader in the North, if not LC, with his new found identity and all that. in any case, if it means endgame in terms of the series, then we get to see him become LC.

31. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

SHK12344,

I think that’s pretty much what’s going to happen, except not with Jon, that wouldn’t feel right. A lot of his character’s conflicts and stuff seems to be focused on how he’s “seduced” by some other life, yet he chooses the Wall, I think that will keep up. Even if there’s no Wall left, I imagine he’d choose to help the remaining Wildlings or something like that.

32. Morna the Witch
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow

People deem it crackpot but I will reference this again. Go to the Ice and Fire forums or google Mel and Jon theories. You’ll find the S+B=Mel theory. My favourite is the Jon/Ghost Ice cell theory. I just can’t buy Mel resurrecting Jon. Or at least, Undead Jon serves no purpose to the plot. What I do buy is Mel’s attempt to resurrect Jon but this back firing on Mel, by the intervention of Bran or Bloodraven. Or Jon in an ice cell in a deep coma, with his soul inside Ghost for a time. It’s his soul getting out of Ghost and back into his own body that’s going to be the interesting part.

33. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

This whole mistery about Jon parentage stuff has no purpose if it doesnt change him in some way or leads to a diffrent turn of events.

If him, the desicions he makes and the story are going to be left unaffected by this mistery (r+l=j) then its a mistake to even introduce this twist and better off him just beeing Neds bastard son.

34. wizardeyes
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

April fools!!!! Jons not really important.

35. Greenjones
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Carne,

What’s your source?

36. iam76
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    April fools!!!! Jons not really important.

LOL LITTLEFINGER WINS!

37. rbk
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

just to let you all know – the honest trailer is out for GOT

38. SHK12344
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    This whole mistery about Jon parentage stuff has no purpose…..

39. spacechampion
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

D probably meant endgame for the season, ie. the election of Lord Commander

40. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

SHK12344: Huh??? The whole reason D&D got to produce this series was they were able to correctly figure out Jon’s parentage. GRRM asked the question because it is the most important part of the novel and D&D understood its importance to the story.

well yea, thats my point .. it has to have more effect to the story then just beeing Jons personal disovery. Anything else it makes the whole mistery pointless, imagine in empire strikes back Luke finds out Vader is daddy and it changes him in absolutley no way…

Catlyns line to Ned about Robert Baratheon comes to mind:

you knew the man, not the king

41. Blind Beth
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink
  42. Doug
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Personally, I think Benioff slipped up and let the cat out of the bag with his comment. Normally, I wouldn’t read to much into a random line like that, but coupling the comment, with Martin’s only question to the people who wanted to adapt his life’s work into a TV show, being in regards to Jon Snow…it’s not a big leap of logic to think where the end is heading.

43. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

rbk:
    just to let you all know – the honest trailer is out for GOT

Fuckin’ brilliant.

44. Streetad
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Is he not using the word ‘series’ the way a British person would – I.e what Americans would call a ‘season’?

45. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Doug:

46. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Streetad:

No American would ever call a season “series”. It would be like an American calling underpants “knickers”. It just doesn’t happen.

47. Deathdreams
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

cosca:
    the attack on Craster’s Keep should be very satisfying.I was pretty disappointed that the mutineers were killed off page by an elk-riding zombie in the books.

Is this a april fool’s prank or did i miss something when I read the books?

48. Veltigar
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: I don’t think he slipped up. He just said what we book readers already know: A+L=J. And if that equation is correct (and virtually everyone is pretty much convinced it is), then all he is saying is that what has been hinted at from day one IS IMPORTANT TO THE ENDGAME. It doesn’t mean Jon won’t die or that he will sit on the Iron Throne. It just means that his parentage is an essential part to the story… and who here truly believed otherwise?

Euh, I hope you know that the equation is R+L=J

there can be only one cast as Euron. Mads Mikkelsen

49. Strider
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Deathdreams,
    I believe that’s a show only storyline, as CH got cut. Makes sense that way IMO.

Veltigar, now see…
    Arthur Dayne + Lyanna Stark = Jon Snow THIS I’ve never thought of! Why else would he be defending that damn tower?! :P

I’m sure he meant your equation. LOL

50. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

51. Ozymandias
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

rbk,

Finally !

52. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: Euh, I hope you know that the equation is R+L=J

Just a mistype.

53. Daniellica
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: It consistently surprises me that people think Jon was killed of in ADWD. I always wonder if the people who think that read different books than I did. As much as people think GRRM just kills off people for funsies, that isn’t true. The major deaths all serve a purpose and it’s extremely clear his arc isn’t complete. Plus, GRRM said Jon would find out who his parents are and that hasn’t happened yet.

I don’t think he was killed off; I think he was killed solely to be resurrected by some flavor of magic and thus fulfill whateverthefuck his destiny is. Dying/coming back may be a vital part of it, perhaps to get his true warg on…or something…. But yeah no way in seven hells do I think he’s gonna stay dead. But I do think he dies for a little while. That many stab wounds would be critical in a modern ER, but it’s cool cuz he has Sorceress Firecrotch and BabyTree Bro to come to his rescue…or something…again….

54. Winter Rose
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

He meant the endgame of this season. In the UK they refer to “season” as “series”, as in “series 3″, “series 4″, etc.

55. Skipjack
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Yeah that two year thing really leapt out at me too. I’m sure it’s easily explained away, but I wonder if Kit thinks it’s been that long. The lack of any sense of time passing is one of the things that has always bugged me the most about the series of books- too little time passes for the amount of maturation the characters go through.

Anyway as to the ambition thing, any book reader knows that he has the chance to become Lord Stark of Winterfell and turns it down, but was sorely tempted. It’s the mythopoetic re-appearance of Ghost at that precise moment that settles him in his identity as Jon Snow rather than Jon Stark. Ambition doesn’t mean he rises any higher than Lord Snow, and that hasn’t even happened yet on the show. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make Jon a bit less clueless about his election in the show than the book, he’s due for a win and taking a bit of control of his own fate.

56. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Winter Rose:

Except Kit didn’t say it. Benioff said it. And he’s American.

57. Seriano
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Winter Rose,

But Benioff is american.

58. Delta1212
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Who needs help when the entire prologue was basically a tutorial on how he could get out of it himself?

59. Travis
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know where that picture connected at the top comes from? It doesn’t look like Kit/Jon is wearing the Nights Watch black garb. It doesn’t look familiar at all. Promotional pic?

60. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Travis,

That is the photo from TV Guide. Yeah it’s a new one. Safe to assume the show provided it to the magazine specifically for the article. That looks like a normal NW outfit for Jon. I think the colors are just off because of how they always add filters that alter the coloring of the costumes. They do weird things to the promo stills too. Every year the photos wind up with a grayish or greenish cast to them.

61. Duckzauce Mo Quakerz
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Jon Snows character is so easy to play by anyone. I mean this guy sucks at acting, he sucked in Silent Hill and it was dreadful watching that Pompeii movie. I like how book readers think his character is complex when a shitty actor is nailing the role.

62. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Looks like last season, though the photos are one that weren’t released before. The Theon one is last season for sure, and the Rast one looks like him right after he killed Mormont. I’m guessing the on-set stills photographers from season 3 are starting to leak more.

63. Tatters
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Duckzauce Mo Quakerz,

Um, do you know he is the perfect fit for the role? Jon snow doesnt act.

64. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Duckzauce Mo Quakerz:

Seems fine to me. I think some of you just want him to suck so he sucks to you. I’m not saying Kit is a great actor, but he delivers what is necessary for the role.

65. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

That’s kinda what he said. And frankly, I don’t really agree with it. Jon goes through killing his own friend, love, betrayal, always with the same gormless face. There could be a lot more done with that material.

66. Tatters
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Laszlo,

People are cold bastards, Jon is not an exception, its obvious.

67. Clabog
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink
  68. Stone Cold Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Laszlo:
    Stone Cold Bastard,

Annara Snow: Uh, being a leader =/= being on the Iron Throne. By that logic, the only characters who have been leaders so farare Robert Baratheon and Joffrey. And poor Tommen.

Greatness Arrisessss:
    Anyway I don’t think Jon will get the iron throne.That would be too LOTR-like and too much of a fantasy cliche, which GRRM does not like to use.If anything, he will die just being a bastard.A happy bastard.

It seems that Jon is destined to lead the fight against the White Walkers in ASOIAF and to ultimately save the Seven Kingdoms from their invasion. GRRM has indicated that the ending is bittersweet, with much speculation around Jon and Danny falling in love, defending Westeros from the White Walkers and the army of the dead, and Danny dies defending the Seven Kingdoms, with Jon the only one left to claim the throne, ie it comes to him. In that scenario, Jon would be King with possibly Tyrion as his Hand, Sam as Grand Maester, and Danny tragically dead which wouldn’t leave for a fantasy cliche conclusion.

69. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

LOL, Sorceress Firecrotch! I never thought he would stay dead either BUT I have been worried about what it will do to him to be brought back by the Red Witch. Will he still be good like Beric but lose part of himself or will he be full of anger and revenge like LS? I don’t like either of those options. Also, I always wanted him to hook up with Daenerys. However, what is the likelihood that she’d want to have anything to do with him once she’s realized that he’s “undead”? She’d already been through that with the Drogo thing–although one would presume that Jon would be able to do more than lay there drooling after his resurrection. In the end knowing GRRM and his dislike for fantasy tropes, the odds that the handsome, noble and deserving hero will end up with beautiful, noble and deserving heroine are slim to none. I’m predicting that they will fall in love but one or both of them will end up dead. So maybe it doesn’t matter if he’s already “undead”….

As for the idea that he will warg into a person or creature, I hate that idea even worse than I do the resurrection idea. Again, how can he be anything other than an animal–after a while the human part gets lost. If he stays an animal, forget about the throne and forget about Daenerys. And if he took over a human body, that is supposed to be very evil. The thought of Jon turning dark (at least that dark) does not make me a happy camper. I know it’s not ALL about me and what I want, but darnit, it should be!!! ;)

70. GeekFurious
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I would not recommend going into the rest of the story with expectations. Because I bet you will be disappointed by wherever it goes. While I expect that GRRM will definitely go down the path many have predicted, with respect to Jon Snow’s parentage, I also doubt he is going to deliver the moment some have predicted where he is one of the dragon riders, and/or taking the throne.

I think Jon will be revived either through his own power or another, and find himself a very different character because of it. I expect that the Jon Snow we’ve known for five books IS gone.

71. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Stone Cold Bastard,

There are other possible end scenarios–Jon and Dany do fall in love but Jon is the one that ends up dying OR Dany dies but Jon gives her his “life force” (ala Beric to LS). Either way Dany ends up on the throne. The reason I think this may be a possibility is because how often in Fantasy does the woman actually end up being the supreme leader of anything? I could see GRRM putting Dany on the throne (or hell even Tyrion because he is a quintessential anti-hero) in order to upset all possible fantasy tropes endings.

72. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I expect that the Jon Snow we’ve known for five books IS gone.

That will be very sad for me personally then. He is one of my fav characters in the books (not as much on the show and not due to Kit’s acting but due to the books giving us so much of Jon’s POV that we can’t get on TV).

73. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

If Dany and Jon is the end point of the books i am going to take them and either burn them to shreds or use them as toilet paper because that has to be such a cliche and dumb ending that it disgusts me more than the RW .

74. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Stone Cold Bastard,

Sounds like a bunch of fairytale shit. Like why would they even fall in love, what’s up with that? And why does it have to be the woman who dies, anyway? In general, I just don’t see the one who “saves the Realm” ending up on the throne afterwards, it would be way too much like “winning”. Plus it won’t be as convenient as who’s the next in line to the Throne, there might not even be a Seven Kingdoms as we know it to govern, it’s going to be all war-torn and possibly in separate pieces.

75. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest,

You don’t have to be a total dick about it man. I think everyone views the books in different ways and maybe some of the characters will have a satisfying ending. Saying its not realistic to have an happy ending in a fantasy world is comedy. GRRM already used the long lost prince trope buddy.

76. Joh
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

That’s my theory :
    Jon’s consciousness will slip into Ghost (remember the prologue of ADWD) before his ressurection by Melissandre. Yes, I am certain that she will play a role because I have in mind the chapters where she saw a wolf in flames. I think that Jon Snow is the ressurection of Azor Azai, not Stannis. She’s wrong from the beginning and it seems that she starts to understand her error.

There are three chapters in which there are references to the Ice Dragon. That’s why I think Jon Snow’s parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. The Ice Dragon is a picture.
    Moreover, There are the scene in ACOK, in which Danaerys saw a blue rose (symbole of Lyanna and the Wall (symbole of Jon) in the House of the Undying
    I doubt that GRRM will introduce a real Ice Dragon in the novel but if he do it, that will be utterly epic ! :)

77. Monica
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it R + L = J? And if that’s the case, and they secretly married, isn’t Jon a Targ, not a Stark?

I thought Jon might get something going with Dany, but I’m not too hopeful for her future because GRRM allows women to make stupid mistakes…such as asking a witch to give medical care to one’s husband…or marrying an enemy, as in the latest book.

78. MVD
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Wish I could remember how to spoiler tag on this damn iPhone :(

79. Rickard Greyjoy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:21 am | Permalink

I think Benoif may be trying to mislead people here. Maybe not mislead them exactly, but that what many people expect to happen to Jon is being misinterpreted and will come about in a different manor. I’ve subscribed to the following theory for awhile now regarding the ‘endgame’.
    Jon will eventually be resurrected and become king but it won’t be of the Seven Kingdoms or the Iron Throne. He’ll be a king of the white walkers. He and not Stannis is A.A. The great evil that A.A is combating is not the white walkers, but humankind which for the most part has become evil and corrupt with all the wars, famine, rape etc. The white walkers are like a purge to restore the balance of good and evil among humans.
    Dany may very well be evil (with her talk of burning cities to the ground and such) and she and Jon end up on opposing sides. Jon and Arya may also have a reunion at some point but it won’t be friendly. She may be contracted to kill him.
    Basically, in the end, characters like Jon and Bran and possibly Arya/Sansa as well will triumph but we will no longer want them to as they are on the side of the zombies and white walkers. Meanwhile characters like Jaime and Theon, who were once for the most part disliked, will be the characters we want to survive this zombie apocalypse. Most likely this means they’re marked for death. We get the ending that we originally wanted at the start of the series but will no longer want as the series progresses. This goes well with the ‘bittersweet’ comment George made regarding the ending.

Not sure if it will pan out exactly like this as there are most likely some holes in the theory but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ending turned out to be some kind of variation of this. When I first read it the whole thing struck me as very ‘GRRM’. hehe

80. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Duckzauce Mo Quakerz,

Judging him on acting in silent hill and Pompeii is quite unfair. Both movies sucked and would’ve sucked worse without him. I think he plays a great Jon snow and saying he’s easy to play what makes hi any easier than Jaime lannister or Robb stark. Please don’t ever judge a mans acting by a movie like Pompeii or silent hill, which he wasnt all that bad in either of them they were just overall bad movies with terrible scripts. It’s hard for an actor to portray a great performance when a script is total crap

81. Me
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Rickard Greyjoy,

That would be crazy!

82. Morna the Witch
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Agree with Varamyr. I actually liked his Vincent Carter in Silent Hill. He was even funny at times. And he nailed the fights in Pompeii. In any case he’s doing two British films before returning to Thrones later this year, so those two films doesn’t seem to have hurt him.

And I think Kit completely understands Jon. If you read full in-depth interviews with the man, you can see it. In the TV guide interview he explains that he doesn’t think that Jon is there to “fix” things in Westeros. It shows he understands the subtleties of the character. He just does not always get to show it. And it irks me that some people have the impression that he goes through all Jon’s experiences with only one facial expression. Go and watch the fight with Quorin again. The look on his face when he stabs Quorin is one of absolute horror at what he had just done. What happened in season two is the David and Dan gave too much dialogue to their favourites, Alfie and Richard. So Jon’s characterisation suffered.

83. Morna the Witch
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Rickard greyjoy

It’s an interesting idea, but Faceless men are not obliged to kill family members. Although, in this context I keep thinking of something that Jon tells Arya, that different roads always lead to the same castle.

Joh

The blue rose growing out of a chink of ice symbolism also adds to Bran’s vision of of Jon growing cold on a be of stone as all memory of warmth leaves him. It could be a reference to his coma, or his “death”n while his soul remains inside Ghost. The chink in the ice could be a reference to an ice cell. And Jon won’t turn, because I don’t think bodies at the Wall can turn. In aDwD nothing happens to the bodies Jon locks away to see what they will do.

I think Jon’s endgame will to be to defeat the Others or join them in battle. And his parentage will have something to do with the former.

84. Winter Rose
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:21 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I speed read it and thought Kit had said it, sorry.

85. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:52 am | Permalink

GeekFurious:

I somewhat worry about that happening,

given what has happend to Beric and especially Catelyn when revived by a red priest. My theory is that the Jon we all know and love jumps into Ghost, the body itself is resurrected by Melisandre, and a transfer of his spirit happens, so that Jon isn’t cut out from the storyline before it really came to fruition.

86. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Duckzauce Mo Quakerz:

I strongly disagree that Jon Snow is “easy to play.” I think he might actually be one of the most difficult parts to play in the series. Unlike characters like Tyrion and Jaime, he doesn’t have a snarky line up his sleeve that he can deliver with gusto. Unlike so many other characters, he doesn’t have the occasional monologue that perfectly encapsulates his feelings or his motivations. Unlike most King’s Landing characters, who get to stand around and be smartasses to everyone, Jon Snow’s screen time is taken up really just doing things. And he spent all of last season undercover, attempting to hide his true emotions and feelings.

It is VERY hard to display emotions for a character who is not comfortable displaying his emotions. The few times that Jon Snow does, Kit is generally considered good in those scenes. And unlike other actors on the show, his delivery of lines never takes me out of the show, so he’s good by my book, and occasionally excellent in the few scenes he gets to let loose.

87. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Morna the witch,

I very much agree with what you’ve said. I think kit has an understanding and knowledge of his character much greater than any other actor on the show, not saying he’s the best actor in this show as its loaded with talent. I also agree the scene where he lays the half hand was great and I too saw the fear on his face of him realizing what he had done

88. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest,

But the RW was the opposite of predictable and doesn’t follow any fantasy trope! Did you think it was predictable? I’m confused.

89. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen,

HUGE spoilers in second blockquote!!!

90. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Laszlo,

there might not even be a Seven Kingdoms as we know it to govern

Good point. There is a possibility that GRRM will have no one on the Iron Throne because the Kingdom will be in tatters and the Red Keep destroyed (remember Dany’s vision of the Throne Room?). That vision could be simply symbolic too but knowing that GRRM is a student of history, he could use the destruction of the 7 Kingdoms to usher in a new form of governance as has happened in Europe’s past.

91. Morna the Witch
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I like the idea of the IT being destroyed in the end and the realm either returning to Seven Kingdoms, or a completely new set-up. It would be great to see something like Dany pushing for the throne and then Jon bringing in the new era, pushing the other way. If they ever met and have some form of relationship, whether conflicted or ambivalent, then fine, but I still prefer Jon with Val if that were ever possible. I hope she gets cast in season 5.

And Amen to Hodor Targaryen’s post above. Couldn’t have said it better.

92. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Morna the Witch:

And Amen to Hodor Targaryen’s post above. Couldn’t have said it better.

I hate this idea of an “end of an era” finish to the books as Tolkien did.

Id like the Iron Throne, Wall, dragons and all else to remain in this “world”.

93. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ:
    Hodor Targaryen,

HUGE spoilers in second blockquote!!!

I know! I pressed the blockquote button instead of spoiler an didn’t realize it till later. Can some admin delete the post or something? (Tho not sure too many are comjng back to this post but just in case)

94. StupidSexyFlanders
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

95. siberia82
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

TV Guide has more Season 4 tidbits ( http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Season-4-Lannister-1080000.aspx ), and I’ve copied and pasted the sections that I thought were a little more interesting.

- Cersei will be a reluctant mother-in-law. “She’s not a lover of Margaery,” Lena Headey tells TVGuide.com. “I think she’d be happier if the wedding didn’t happen.” Also, the twincestuous lovers won’t have the happiest of reunions. “She’s back with Jaime, and things have changed for her,” she adds. “He’s appeared thinking it was going to be as it was. She’s kind of stood alone for a year, and lots has happened and is trying to decide what’s going to work for her. She’s quite selfish.” That awkwardness, however, doesn’t compare to the friction she’ll have with her younger brother.

- Jaime must establish his authority among the Kingsguard, which means trying to make up for his lost hand somehow. (He will turn to an unlikely source for help.) Also, he will put his trust in two people he’s come to respect, but the result of one of those interactions will hit shockingly close to home.

- His marriage continues to cause trust issues with his woman Shae, who is reluctant to live by the rules in King’s Landing. “She thought she had a strong foundation but it’s not, it’s shaking like an earthquake,” Sibel Kekilli says. “She loves Sansa, she loves Tyrion, and now they’re a married couple even if they don’t love each other. It’s really hard for her to decide, ‘Should I trust both of them or not?’” Meanwhile, his relationship with his siblings will leave much to be desired in the wake of kingdom-changing events.

- “He’s a bachelor in distress,” Finn Jones says, blaming Jaime, Cersei’s brother-lover, for some of the headaches. “There’s going to be a bit of bro friction. There’s definitely a bit of in-house politics going on there. Loras isn’t really afraid to say what he thinks. He’s in a good position politically. He knows no one can f— up his sh–, and Jaime’s lost a hand now. Let’s not forget about that. And Loras is a great fighter. So it’s a bit like, ‘Hey, Jaime? F— you. I’m marrying your sister.’ So, he’s got the upper hand, as goes the saying.”

- “Brienne continues to be put in situations that she’s not used to navigating,” Gwedoline Christie says. “I can guarantee you that this season she is truly tested in a variety of ways, and sometimes with comic consequences. We see that raw underbelly exposed and attacked yet again.” As for Brienne’s possible blossoming feelings for Jaime? “The journey continues to evolve,” she teases.

1. […] addition to Kit’s discussion in the magazine about Jon Snow’s developing leadership qualities this season, TV Guide […]