Sophie Turner on her journey with Sansa Stark, and Season 4
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Sophie Turner is featured on the cover of the latest issue of the Daily Mail’s YOU Magazine. Sophie sports bright colors for a new photoshoot, and talks about her relationship with the King’s Landing underdog, Sansa Stark.

“Our lives share a lot of parallels: she came to King’s Landing, she didn’t know what she was coming into and she had all these big important people around her. The same happened to me when I came on the Game of Thrones set – you had big-name actors there such as Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage, so in that sense I really related to her.”

Relating to her character so much may have made it even harder to deal with some of the audience’s hate directed towards Sansa during Game of Thrones’ first season.

“When I was younger it really sucked, because I think a lot of the other characters were fan favourites. When you’re 13 and you don’t really understand the business and your best friend is getting a lot of love and you’re getting a lot of hate… well, it was difficult.”

But as the show has progressed, so has her character. Sophie is glad to have Sansa as a part of her, and hopes that the audience begins to understand her as a more complex character.

“I’ve just been on this – I know it sounds cheesy – journey with her. I’ve experienced everything that she experienced, so now I can switch into her like that. Half of me pretty much is Sansa, I think, because I’ve lived her for five years. I just kind of make Sansa my own, and I hope people understand her. That’s what I want – I want understanding rather than whether they like her or they hate her.”

And no interview this close to the premiere would be complete without a Season 4 tease. So what can we expect from Sansa?

“This season she’ll get even more ballsy. In a lot of TV shows out there, the women are the weak ones and the men are the strong ones. In this show it flips – you see the women being the ones that you don’t really want to meddle with. Sansa’s one of the most intelligent characters on the show. She’s been plotting it all in her head from day one. She’s the dark horse.”

For more from Sophie’s feature, click here.

1. Hodoristic
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Hodor!

2. Boby
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:10 am | Permalink

4 minutes shy of losing my Hodor virginity. :(

Goodness, Sophie’s growing up. Bran’s growth spurts won’t matter once he’s tied to a tree forever, but Sansa has to stay the naive young girl for a while longer!

3. Turncloak
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Yea it’s a shame. Most of my unsullied friends still hate Sansa. Oh well

4. Josla
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Don’t worry Sophie you’re not alone. I LOVE Sansa too!

5. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Stannsa, Stannsa, STANNSA!!!

6. Turncloak
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

LOL LOVE IT!

7. GG
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I know everyone loses their mind over Emilia Clarke. But I really think Sophie Turner is one of the most amazing looking women on TV. I can’t wait to see where she takes the character

8. Anonymous Bastard
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Who keeps putting her in these dreadfully ugly clothes all the time?

I’m slightly concerned about this claim that sansa is intelligent too….

9. Shady_Grady
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Sansa’s been plotting? Hmmm..

10. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Here comes the Sansa lovers complaining how the show ruined her and blah,blah,blah .

11. alaynes
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

*sighs loudly at three comments above*
    at least sophie understands her character, wish we could say the same about the writers and the viewers…

12. Craig
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Well hey, they may not like Sansa, but maybe they’ll like Alayne Stone.

13. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest,

I never got this attitude, why is it a problem to voice your complaints, if they’re true? And if you think they aren’t, then say that.

14. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

All we’ve seen of Sansa thus far, by the end of ADwD is that she’s Westeros’ political ping-pong ball, being smacked around by power players everywhere she goes, with no real plot of her own. After the plot surrounding Harry the Heir is revealed that’s where her story ended. So this interview is strongly hinting that she’s beginning to come into her own is in itself a minor spoiler; her character seems to develop traits this season that haven’t been introduced to the book, and I’m quite pleased to hear it.

15. sjwenings
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Too bad she took the critizism against her character too personally when she was only 13. I can imagine it sucked a fair bit. It still seems like she might care too much, actually. She has gotten so much praise for her acting, and should focus on that. That said, her character should become more popular in the coming seasons.
    It’s always a treat to read interviews with her – and the other “kids”.

16. hypeislongdead
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

kinda seems dangerous to me indeed that nowadays with these multi-season series kids often grow up playing a single character and may get in the role too much

17. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver,

She’s probably exaggerating a bit, it will probably mean what’s in the books, just some more awareness of what’s going on, and more inclination to take part in it, but no actual plans of her own.

18. HouseRay
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

19. Annara Snow
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Boby:
    4 minutes shy of losing my Hodor virginity. :(

Sansa is two years older in the show than in the books – she should be 15 in season 4, and she’s also tall in the books (it’s mentioned that she’s taller at 13 than her aunt was at 21). Girls usually stop growing around 14-15 anyway. So, I don’t see why her height would be a problem.

20. A Man Grown
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Sansa is one of my favorite characters in the books, and Sophie does a great job :)

21. moonlightof1982
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

As she gets older, and under the tutelage of Peytr, Sansa get much stronger and less afraid!!!

22. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Laszlo,

I don’t know, maybe because you and Stannis fans sound like a broken record every single god damned time, we get it you feel the show is not doing them justice doesn’t mean we like to read your whiny comments anymore . The subject has been discussed to death and you still don’t get it which means I don’t have to bother repeating the same arguments against itsince you guys just don’t care and continue doing the same stuff .

23. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

GG,

I can absolutely agree, she is really stunning!

24. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest,

Nobody even said anything, yet you get so hostile, I don’t see how “we” are the “whiny” ones here. And every opinion one can have has probably been said before, that doesn’t mean nobody should talk about anything.

25. Al Swearengen
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner is a babe Schwing!

26. Doug
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Many of you hated Jaime as well…. Then so many of you did such a huge flip and it’s like you forgot he ever sucked. And he did suck, way more than Sansa. Sansa is a young kid who didn’t understand what she was getting into. How would you do in the rat and snake filled capital of Westeros in her position? Probably not well. I understand she messed up big with Ned. Really big. But you all act like she can’t redeem herself. She can and she just might.

Jaime Lannister knew exactly what he was doing when he PUSHED A TEN YEAR OLD OUT OF A WINDOW. I like him better now too that I understand him better. But I don’t love him and never will. So when you understand Sansa better, you will see she is smart. Keeping her head down is intelligent in her position. If she is ever not in that position what do you think she will do? With what happened to her family you know what she will try to do.

27. Maddy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I have some minor reservations about some of the writers decisions but she is awesome and does a great job. This should be a great season for Sansa :)

28. Maddy
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I love that she is such a big Sansa defender and understands her character. All the actors on this show are so smart and articulate about their characters

29. Arcadia
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hey guys, some interesting stuff about season 4 from Aidan Gillen in the Baltimore sun

30. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Laszlo:
    Tyrionisthebest,

Lol, if you think I am hostile then you should look a bit more on the internet my friend, i’m sorry you get your feelings hurt so easily and try to make the person you disagree with as the bad guy .

31. Yago
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Wtf @ those clothes.

32. Tiberius
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

One of the very best actresses on the show. Keep it up Sophie.

33. Sansa's Knight
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

i cant really put in words how much i love this character … shes the most real 1 out of every1 else … and yeh i can relate to her too …we all can in a way …we all dream big and then life hits us and we make silly mistakes as kids and then we learn to deal with them by watching the crafty more experienced adults around us

hats off to sophie turner she is truly beautiful and an amazingly gifted girl but as always my heart belongs to Sansa… i mean ive never fought with my dad to defend my girlfriend but man was i pissed off when he didnt understand Sansa which led to quite the row

34. barak
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Anonymous Bastard: Who keeps putting her in these dreadfully ugly clothes all the time?

I think the clothes are fine, but oh my god the make-up is horrible.

HouseRay: Completely off topic point but I’m going to make a bold prediction – Much as with the Red Wedding, there will be Lady Stoneheart reaction videos on Youtube. That is, if D&D do it right. In the first episode it’s explicitly mentioned Cat had her throat slit and was thrown into a river apparently. That’s a big clue it’s going to happen. Or just a big troll. OK that wasn’t so bold, but I think I’m right.

35. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

barak: I still think they’re going to cut that part. Hell, I hope they’ll cut that part, if I had to cut anything from ASOIAF it would be that.

You mean Stoneheart as a whole? I don’t see why would they do that, it seems she’s gonna end up important for Brienne and Jaime, plus viewers always want revenge and shit.

36. Doug
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

sjwenings:
    It’s always a treat to read interviews with her – and the other “kids”.

Doubt it. I’m hoping the non book readers I know are the minority, because to be honest they’re pretty dumb. They don’t get what’s going on half the time and all they want to see is “KHALEEEEEEESI!!!!”

So, yeah. Not sure they’ll like Sansa more in the coming seasons, even though they should.

37. BudDwyer
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

That’s also why she’s thinking of changing that plush curtain of red hair (it’s naturally blonde but it’s stayed red ever since she was cast in Game of Thrones) for something more outré. ‘I want to have, like, a crazy hair change – I don’t like the thought of people pinning me down to a certain look or a certain stereotype.’

Alayne?!

38. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Doug,

I think in this case the medium of TV will make it more obvious, she has a different demeanor in general later on, I think that counts a lot in live action.

39. Steel_Wind
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Actually, given the stunning supermodel looks Sophie Turner has developed into as a young woman (great genes Mr & Mrs Turner!) and acting skills that we still have not seen the full range of (mainly because Sansa Stark has a relatively limited palette to work with in terms of the script to date) I can easily foresee Sophie Turner as being the one genuine Hollywood Star that emerges out of Game of Thrones in the long-term.

40. Annara Snow
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Arcadia:

Some things he says in that interview are just bizarre.

“We’re not playing it as a creepy relationship. It’s more avuncular or paternal.”
    What?!
    I sincerely hope he’s just trolling the Unsullied who read the interview.

It also makes me think of how Harry Lloyd was describing Viserys in season 1 DVD extras, as a caring brother, which had very little in common with the actual character in the show and in the books.

41. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Arcadia,

Thanks! And that’s great interview with Sophie.

42. Laszlo
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

He’s partially right, I mean, not being creepy is definitely not true, but it really is also kinda fatherly, he seems to be genuinely mentoring her, and trusts her with all kinds of secrets (which will probably end up bad for him).

43. Annara Snow
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Laszlo:
    Annara Snow,

Yeah, I guess he is just being selective about which aspects of his character we wants to talk about and emphasize. Just like Harry Lloyd’s with the Viserys-the-caring-brother comments. At this point, the viewers are more likely to expect creepiness to begin with.

44. Meera
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I love Sansa too; more so in the books but increasingly on the show. She may be the wild card, but I have high hopes for her :) Having been raised by a strong woman like Catelyn, but also having quietly learned from the likes of Cersei and Margaery, I think she’ll surprise us all!
    I do hope she ends up killing Petyr though. Pretty please? That whole thing creeps me out enormously.

And couldn’t agree more Steel_Wind!

45. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I want Sophie Turner to be in one of the upcoming Marvel movies or the new Star Wars movies. She is awesome.

46. Meera
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

barak,

REALLY? Stoneheart is literally THE BEST REVEAL EVER.

47. facelessarya
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I hope more and more people come around to like Sansa during Season 4. It made me so sad for Sophie after reading about the hate she got early on. Thirteen years old, my god could people use a bit of critical thinking and gain a bit of empathy for Sansa/Sophie?

And I sincerely hope they up her cunning in S4 (if only for Soph’s sake). Trying to keep her as the naive little girl is not going to win her any support seeing as Sophie looks too old and D&D have botched so much of her storyline already, costing her a few allies.

Can’t wait to see her and Aiden Gillen!

48. Tim Williams
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Anonymous Bastard:
    I’m slightly concerned about this claim that sansa is intelligent too….

You’re easily concerned, aren’t you.

49. Tim Williams
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

sjwenings:

So… let’s praise her in a way that… makes sure she’s still criticised? Right. Nice…

50. alaiyarocks
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

I love Sophie, she is such a gorgeous young woman and a fantastic actress. I can’t imagine anyone else as Sansa.