Aidan Gillen on Littlefinger’s long-term plans and paternal role
By Ours is the Fury on in Interview.

Aidan Gillen season 4 posterSeason four looks to be a big one for Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger, with episode seven “Mockingbird” named after his personal sigil, and according to actor Aidan Gillen in the Baltimore Sun, the manipulator’s long-terms plans becoming more apparent this year.

“He’s a long player, probably more so than anyone in the books,” the actor says. “He’s laid these pretty long-term plans, which even go across generations. It’s becoming more apparent in the current season we’re shooting now. He’s taking more interest in characters like Robin Arryn and Sansa Stark. A more paternal, maybe even sweet side of Littlefinger is going to emerge in Season 4.”

Gillen addresses in the interview his character’s connection to the Stark women, with Sansa being the daughter of Catelyn, the woman who spurned his love repeatedly. “There is an interest in her as the daughter of Catelyn Tully,” he acknowledges, “But there’s also other interests in a political way. We’re not playing it as a creepy relationship. It’s more avuncular or paternal. I think she’s playing him to a certain degree as well.”

Aidan Gillen also spoke with Access Hollywood recently, on the red carpet of the Game of Thrones premiere in New York City. Inspired by a tweet from Bryan Cogman, Gillen was given the question, did Littlefinger recognize Arya as the cupbearer in Harrenhal? His response, accompanied by a bit of a smile: “It’s an interesting question, you know. How could someone as bright as Littlefinger not recognize her?”

The actor chats about season four as well, saying Littlefinger will be “taking [his] surrogate parental responsibilities a little bit more seriously and looking out for the younger ones.”

Visit Access Hollywood and The Baltimore Sun for the full interviews.

Ours is the Fury: Not sure I’m really sold on Littlefinger’s parenting abilities quite yet…because well, he’s Littlefinger.

1. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Sansa!

2. Ross
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:05 am | Permalink

It’s only right that Tommy Carcetti is interviewed by the Baltimore Sun!

3. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Wow! Until this year I don’t recall Aiden, Stephen or Conleth giving any interviews, and now look at what we’ve got!

Up next: Diana Rigg, Owen Teale & Kate Dickie. PLEEEEAAAASSSSE (fingers-crossed).

4. Roopert
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

With a paternal side like Littlefingers …..

5. loki
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

maybe even sweet side of Littlefinger is going to emerge in Season 4

he lovingly said after murdering dontos and lysa

6. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

loki,

And just a “tincy-wincy” pinch of Sweetsleep :S

I wonder if Lyn Corbray will be cast next season too? That should be interesting.

7. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Not creepy? Littlefinger? Please.

8. Ross
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Nice interview – he clearly gets the character and seems to have read the source material. I do sometimes find his delivery very stilted – but perhaps that’s purposeful to show that everything is scripted / acted for his character.

Interesting titbit about modelling his look on Peter Mandleson!

9. Lula
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

and looking out for the younger ones

lol.

10. Shady_Grady
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

I wonder if the actor is being just a little sarcastic. I think for a lot of reasons Sansa is Littlefinger’s weakness but I don’t see how their relationship can be interpreted as much beyond “creepy”.

11. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

“taking [his] surrogate parental responsibilities a little bit more seriously

as in throwing parents out of moondoors

12. David
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

if LF will take a more “paternal” approach to Sansa, who will she try to “seduce”? and “That’s the first time those words have even come into my head, but I think she might be playing me.” isn’t stuff like that suppose to be written on the scrips or talked on the set?? like how can he not know if another character is “playing” his?

13. Harry Lime
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Shady_Grady:
    I wonder if the actor is being just a little sarcastic.I think for a lot of reasons Sansa is Littlefinger’s weakness but I don’t see how their relationship can be interpreted as much beyond “creepy”.

I think in the past he’s done his interviews sort of in character, or at least from his character’s point of view. That could explain it.

14. Alayne
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Ha, he has to be joking around a bit here. There’s no way Sansa/Littlefinger’s relationship is “not creepy” nor strictly paternal.
    “taking [his] surrogate parental responsibilities a little bit more seriously and looking out for the younger ones.” definitely sounds like a joke, knowing what happens :P

15. Turncloak
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

PURE GOLD!

16. queenofthorns
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

“He’s taking more interest in characters like… Sansa Stark.”

ewwwwwww…

Well, he’s definitely channeling LF!

17. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:
    loki,

Funny you mention that. Just the other day, I came across an actor named Richard Doubleday credited as “Ser Vance Cobray” for an Alex Graves episode. (Same as the actors cast for Waynwood and Royce.)

I’m guessing it’s a very minor part, but the name is a bit of a puzzlement. Was going to toss it into a roundup since it’s not really worth its own post this close to the premiere. But it works for a Littlefinger discussion as well.

18. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Also: everyone please remember to tag your spoilers generously. Thanks :)

19. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Corbray ser Vance doesn’t exist… But neither does talisa Maegar… Lyn renamed?

20. zambi76
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Seven hells, even this interview is fucking creepy.

Well, he’s definitely channeling LF!

That could explain that.

Very likely.

21. Ludo
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I wonder if D & D asked the actors to slightly play their parts even during interviews (Petyr, Stannis, Roose, Tywin…).

22. multipledrafts
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I’m guessing by “We’re not playing it as a creepy relationship” he means Littlefinger and Sansa won’t kiss.

Which, personally, I think would be a good adaptation change. I’ve never been a fan of the game Who’s Molesting Sansa Stark? (as Sady Doyle put it)

23. Hounded
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

It might just be one of those things where there’s minor actors or featured extras that are supposedly characters but are never named. Like in the King in the North scene there’s a guy who’s supposedly Galbart Glover, a woman who’s supposedly Maege Mormont etc.

24. Ser Tahu
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Interesting interview. I think the part that I find most notable is his comment that they are playing his relationship with Sansa as more of a paternal one than a creepy one. I would hope (or dread, rather) that it shifts more towards the creepy side of things in later seasons, as that is definitely the vibe I got from the books.

In other news, my predictions for season 4 are finally complete. As always, my predictions contain MAJOR SPOILERS from the books, so proceed at your own risk:
    A few last minute changes due to new info from promotional material and interviews have admittedly cause the pacing in some storylines (most notable Jon and Theon) to become a bit off in my predictions, so keep that in mind.

25. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Thanks for pointing that out, it was just a minor bit of speculation. It would be weird if Vance is Lyn, because there’s no one already named Lyn in the show canon (or indeed the book canon) and Vance is a house name not a first name. At least it’s not the Asha-Yara treatment, where you change a name for sounding similar to one character (Osha) to another (Arya, as mostly said by Catelyn).

Lyn as seen in the source material would show Petyr’s talent for winning people to his side and acting like he works for the Lords Declarant. As well as taking boys into bed, which we should get a nod to really (but that’s as far as it should go).

I have a feeling that being Sullied, Aiden already knows this, so he’s playing on the viewers’ expectations now.

26. H. Stark
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink
  27. Laszlo
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I don’t think you can say “looks like they’ll change this or that” based on these kinds of interviews, the actors might have different interpretations of the same thing than you, and they’re also probably bullshitting a bit.

28. Connie
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I’m along the lines of the actors, some of whom know full well what their characters are up to in latter storylines, purposefully make misleading and misdirective comments as so to give the Unsullied a shock when things go very different later on.

And yes, there’s always the chance there are deviations from the books, so it’s also entirely possible that everything is perfectly legit! ARGH.

29. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Dances with Dragons :O!

I wonder who the man in the brothel was, next to Oberyn?

30. Greenjones
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Awesome stuff!

31. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Excellent find! Someone posted a link earlier but it wouldn’t work, thanks for posting this one! :D Can’t wait for Sunday!

32. zambi76
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Preview of episode 4×01 :)

33. decgem
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Bah, some of us have been avoiding episode titles, yet there it is in the first line of this post. I know it’s a minor thing to some, but knowing episode titles can reveal some of the shape of a season, and that’s especially important for book readers who want to maintain an additional level of surprise throughout the adaptation. Just something to keep in mind in the course of your posting in future…

34. jentario
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

A couple of great interviews in this video! GRRM and Ramin Djawadi

35. sati
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Oh wow, this is gonna be a great premiere!!

36. jentario
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Must. Resist. 4 days left. BLARG!

37. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:52 am | Permalink

jentario,

Great to see Ramin Djawadi being interviewed for once, though I wish we could have heard more from him.

38. Rygar
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Mock. Yeah. Ing. Yeah. Bird. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

39. Hounded
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

This should be on the soundtrack of the mockingbird episode.

40. Deathdreams
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

zambi76: Hot damn. I think my slash-girl-brain just exploded. And that was just Oberyn tipping up Tyrion’s chin.

I was just going to comment on thegentle chin raise but you noticed it first

41. Turri
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Oh my, those Thenns look badass

42. Strider
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

AIIIDDDDAAAAAAAANNNN! What are you doing?! Are you changing the creepiest dynamic EVER?! I mean Petyr is just one short step beneath Humbert Humbert when it comes to Sansa!

Do I need to say it people?! Do I? Looks like somebody is getting whitewashed. LOL

I think the last part may very well be better emphasised in the series earlier than in the books, as a part of future character development for book!Sansa who’s now just an apprentice in the Game of Thrones. I certainly hope so! The Starks need some breaks.

43. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I paused the preview on the NW commanders, 100% Slynt, Thorne and Aemon… But the black haired and bearded one in the background might be the rumoured Bowen Marsh? I hope so because he needs to be the one to stab Jon

44. Skipjack
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I’m also thinking it’s a re-name, and probably as a favor to someone named Vance. I myself have an uncle named Vance, and he’s the only Vance I’ve ever met. If I ever made a big budget TV show, I’d have to name someone Vance too.

45. SM4e
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

They can merge Bowen Marsh with Alliser Thorne.

46. Deathdreams
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

What? A needy Jaimie!? they are ruining that character!

just kidding

47. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

SM4e,

Maybe… But Thorne always hated Jon, while Marsh seemed to almost admire and possibly even like Jon, that makes his betrayal more shocking

48. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

We were talking about the renamed “Cobray” (as its spelled on his CV) on Twitter, and it seems like a likely renamed and combined version of the Corbray men. They don’t need more than one of them. Filling a minor part in a Vale scene, or maybe even a Lords Declarant type scene.

As for mentioning the episode title in the post, no, an episode title is not a spoiler. Especially not one as vague as Littlefinger’s sigil. If you’re wishing to remain THAT Unsullied, I have to wonder why you’re reading an interview post with an actor where he will be discussing the season before it airs.

49. Deathdreams
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth:
    SM4e,

That is true, but you can tell the whole time during aDWD he is just getting more and more fed up with Jon. So, while Jon stabbing was shocking, I wasn’t all that shocked that it was Marsh that did it.

50. Tyroshi Barber
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Great work! Interesting… how come you think Yara will be going back to Pyke at the end of the season? I know… her fathers death, the King’s Moot and all….but I think storywise it will be more logic for her to keep searching Theon, don’t you think?

51. zambi76
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

The HBO UK link for the 4.01 preview does now automatically redirect me to the “GoT long story short” clip, so I guess that was a bit prematurely published.

52. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

There is only 1 Corbray man who appears in aSoIaF… And also it’s most probably a typo, Cobray sounds stupid in my head while Corbray sounds awesome

53. Kyle
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

It seems the preview to 4.01 was removed. :(

54. Ren Snow
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Any more castings?, we at Game of Thrones wiki would really appreciate it.

55. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Deathdreams,

I understand, I actually don’t care who does the stabbing as long as it’s a character who likes Jon at first but is driven to betray him because of Jon’s decisions, so anybody but Thorne (or Slynt who should already be dead)

56. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Ren Snow,

Coldhands as Strong Belwas

57. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

If I find anything good, you’ll hear about it.

zambi76,

Yeah, that sucks. If I’d been at home I would have downloaded the video, but I’m at school. I did get to see it and take two screencaps before the video disappeared. Dammit.

58. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Jon/NW ep3

they hear about the attack on Moles Town… Then Sam takes Gilly and Sam jr to Moles town so they’re safe… Not even Sansa is that stupid

59. Deathdreams
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink
  60. Jordan
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Thanks. The Thenns remind me of LOTR Orcs.

61. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

I really enjoyed your prediction, but I think it might take a little longer for Asha to arrive at the dreadfort, maybe delay her arrival by an episode. Another point id like to make is that you mentioned Cotter Pyke, has he been cast? Also why would Locke befriend Jon upon arrival at castle black? I subscribe to my own theory that Locke is sent to the NW not only as punishment for his actions but also to act as an agent for the Boltons. Whether to be the LC and be a puppet for Roose or to attempt to kill Jon Snow who is technically a Stark. Also I’d like the Sandor and Arya duo to last another episode (until 8) with Arya boarding the Bravosi ship in 10. And lastly, Joseph Gatt as Varamyr would be epic! He still remains officially without a character and I’d love to see Varamyr warg into a polar bear in ep9…

62. JRR Tzolkin
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

lol. This interview must have been published yesterday. April Fool’s day, right?

63. ShadowStalker
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Very good layout. The only thing that I really have any issue with is Lady Stoneheart showing up in Episode 10.

By doing that arc they pretty much run out of material for Brienne for S5. I don’t think there is a need to do it this season. It would work just as well ending with Brienne fighting Rorge and sort of leaving her in a cliffhanger. And then drawing out her travel to Stoneheart a bit for S5… having it occur in say Episode 4.

Have we heard anything about Thoros / BwB cast being seen during filming at all this past year?

64. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

I’m pretty certain that Joseph Gatt is Styr, Magnar of the Thenn

Edited to add: or is a Thenn of some kind, because the Magnar dies, doesn’t he?

65. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

This has to be a joke, right? Why would the show do a 180 and all of a sudden not portray LF as a creep? Even Sophie, when asked what advice she’d give her character, says “Don’t trust creepy older guys.” I can understand if they didn’t want to do the full on kiss on the lips and instead just had it be a simple peck on the cheek or a hug, but Lysa has to have a reason to flip out

66. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

ShadowStalker,

I’d prefer Brienne’s season to end with her and podrick fighting some bandits (replacing the 3 members of the brave companions who she kills in the book) and once she kills them she is applauded by an off screen Hyle Hunt or simply an unnamed tyrell/lannister commander who arrests them telling her that she will be taken to see Randyll Tarly (who Sam will reintroduce to the audience in a scene earlier that episode). Breinne will explain to Pod why she fears for her life in this encounter as Randyll doesn’t like disloyal people and that he probably still assumes Brienne’s of killing Renly. This could play like the end of s2 for Jon, which teased the introduction of mance rayder, but not showing him until the following season. This means tWoW material isn’t needed for Brienne’s arc until late s5 and also introduces Randyll Tarly who will in my eye be the new tywin for the show. S4 will end with a frey soldier being hung and introducing stoneheart. Brienne, pod and possibly ser Hyle meet LS in ep4 or 5 of season 5

67. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

Joseph Gatt isn’t Styr, but he is playing a Thenn. Russian actor Yuri Kolokolnikov is playing Styr.

68. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

JRR Tzolkin,

Finally someone catches it. Never believe anything you read on April 1st.
    He was trolling.

69. lol
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Good speculation but you need to edit it. Read the Ramsay/Theon section more closely for example where you have Myranda being hunted and killed in episode 2 and then hanging out with them in episode 3.

70. iheartseverus
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Here’s that Ep. 1 trailer, now able to open in the U.S.

AND, here are all the stills from that trailer!

71. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Okay, thanks, seeing now that IMDB has him playing a Thenn Warg.

72. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink
  73. Sean C.
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

multipledrafts:

Why on Earth would they change that? That’s central to the whole finale.

74. Chet's Boil
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if anybody saw this before. If this has been brought up before, let me know. On the imdb cast list for game of thrones they have an Octavia Selena Alexandru listed as “child of the forest”

75. zod
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink
  76. RadoLukacs
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

The preview for the first episode is on youtube.

77. BowedBentBroken
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Ross:
    It’s only right that Tommy Carcetti is interviewed by the Baltimore Sun!

exactly

78. Chet's Boil
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

zod,

ok, thanks

79. House Martell
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Ross,

I was wondering how many folks would catch on to that. Omar comin yo!

80. Al Swearengen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

If only Aiden could rediscover his acting abilities from season 1, he was perfect as Littlfinger back then. Now he plays the character like a hammy pantomime villain.

81. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I have to wonder, why is there still speculation on whether LF recognized Arya in season 2? I swear in 3.01 (maybe 3.02) he tells Sansa while out on the docks that he saw Arya in his travels…

82. cosca
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

What’s different apart from his voice?

83. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

cosca,

Glad I’m not alone there! It was his voice in season 3 that took me back especially lol

84. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Hey Daenerys! Which way would you say is Mereen?

85. Sean C.
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Ye Olde Wolfe:

Littlefinger implies to Sansa that he’s seen Arya and Catelyn, and will take her to them. He’s baiting her to come with him. There’s no indication whether he actually thinks he’s seen Arya, since he’s not being truthful about anything else in that conversation.

86. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I really hope people are right that Aidan is just messing with us. Otherwise my inner book purist might have to come out and Hulk smash things.

That being said, this is the most adorable picture ever.

87. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

I don’t remember any implying, I remember him straight up telling her “I saw your mother, and your sister Arya as well…” I took it as him using the truth (because he aboslutely did see Catelyn) to bait her into his lies.
    Up to interpretation I guess, but I thought it was pretty clear haha.

88. Al Swearengen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

cosca,

He’s turned into a pantomime villain twirling his mustache, and yeah the accent is all over the place.

89. cosca
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

I don’t see how it was different in Season 1. The whore monologue, “I told you not to trust me”. He even talks to himself at one point. The conversations with Varys about the fucked up shit he arranges in his brothels He pretty much was a pantomime villain in Season 1.

The only moment in Season 3 where he was being villainous was the Climb monologue. The rest of the time he’s just a smarmy guy with a weird voice, not a pantomime villain

90. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I dont want Littlefinger to play a good caring parent to Stannsa, i want him to be a creepy-perv like hes in the books!

I also do NOT want the Thenns to be portrayed all irreparably evil. Theyre too kewl and i want them around!
    Sigorn has to marry Alys Karstark!

91. Patchface
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Martin announces release date for WoW:

“I’m happy to announce that Winds of Winter will be released at the conclusion of this season of Game of Thrones,” Martin says in a statement. “I actually finished the book three years ago, around the same time as A Dance with Dragons, but my publisher wanted to see if Game of Thrones the TV show really took off in popularity before releasing it so we could really capitalize on that.”

“We learn that Cersei is Jon Snow’s mother in Winds of Winter, and that her affair with Ned Stark is what woke the White Walkers,” Martin reveals. “And Daenerys gets to Westeros but decides she prefers the warmer climate of Essos and turns back around.”

92. Strider
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I don’t know if he is messing with us, but the toning down or simply changing the book charater’s structure is not allways without benefit for the Unsullied or for many of the book fans alike from a TV show script stand (condensed and non POV narrated).

In this case thoughI believe I’d be shocked if they do a REAL 180 on his obvious creepy attraction and fascination to Catelyn’s image seen in Sansa. I don’t think it could work to the benefit of the story. The patternal side Aidan is speaking of exists through that. If Sansa would not be Catelyn’s image with magnified beauty you’d not get the half of the character richness. And obviously the actual Lysa plot will have to be changed as well in order to have the same flying through the Moon Door result, as her paranoia was fueled by this creepy attraction she sees in Petyr for her sister’s daughter. We’ll see.. maybe they’ll supply something else to account for this change if indeed they go that route.

Also, big Aidan Gillen fan, and I trust him to get whatever the script is writing for Petyr right! And no, I did not even notice the accent change.

93. Strider
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Patchface:
    Martin announces release date for WoW:

OMG! IS THIS THING REAL?!

Lady Dayne, Sister Wrister???? Where are my people, people?!???

To those who called us delusional I got 3 little words: IN. YOUR. FACE. hahahhahaah

94. cosca
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Strider,

check the date the article was published.

95. WompWomp
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

“Fatherfinger.”

…I just grossed myself out.

cosca,

Hell, check the bottom of the article.

Gotta admit, that was the closest thing to a legit April Fool’s gag I’ve seen this year.

96. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

cosca,

That has to be the most horrible April fools prank I’ve ever suffered…

97. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

RadoLukacs,

it would appear that Jaime knocks stuff off of Tywin’s desk when he’s talking to him. Or he’s just being weird and trying to pick up something with a sword.
    Also, from a review I read, (spoiler for the first episode) Tyrion doesn’t go to meet Oberyn, he finds out that he’s already in the city without him knowing. And we are introduced to him in a brothel getting in a fight with Lannister men singing the Rains of Castamere.

98. Strider
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

cosca,

Well then. Obviously I’ve stayed too long again on the ASOIAF boards to be so taken in and so upset.

I’d type something about something but I’m too much of a lady to say it. I did think it though.

And thank you anonymous poster Patchface. It’s good to know I still give a shit!

99. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,

That’s the review I’m referencing. Spoilers for the first episode.

100. cosca
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Strider,

You should probably prepare yourself for the same TWOW joke next year…and the year after that…and the year after that.

101. Patchface
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the prank, I was a victim as well…the ‘revelation’ about Jon’s mother was the clue for me! lol

102. Strider
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

cosca,

Don’t be ridiculous! If I’d think in those hopeless lines you describe, who would people cynical like you laugh at?!

@ Patchface: I didnt get that far and I was squee-ing all over the place with delight at the first paragraph. Texed this too to my best friend and spreading the glee all over where I’m registered! Now tell me how ridiculous I look when I call best friend to tell her :Nevermind. She’ll never forgive me.

103. Grynthaline
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I think Littlefinger is doing what Littlefinger does best: Bullshitting.

104. Patchface
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

@strider: sorry for your troubles, but in all fairness my pseudonym should have given you a warning about the ‘prophesied’ date of publication…

105. Ashara D
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Sorry my friend. If only…

106. Annara Snow
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Littlefinger’s sweet, paternal side! Awww… Well, I’m sure it will be less creepy than Craster’s paternal side… Slightly.

This interview reminds me of Harry Lloyd’s comments about Viserys on the season 1 DVD character profile, along the lines of: “He’s always taken care of his sister, now he needs her to do something for him”.

Grynthaline:
    I think Littlefinger is doing what Littlefinger does best: Bullshitting.

Grynthaline:
    I think Littlefinger is doing what Littlefinger does best: Bullshitting.

LOL yes.

107. Ser Tahu
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Tyroshi Barber,
    Well, my thinking was that after having her forces crushed she would try and reunite with Victarion for reinforcements. Then, upon finding out that Balon is dead and Victarion is trying to get the seastone chair, she would try to get control of the Iron Islands because she views it as her birthright and because it would give her a greater force with which to retrieve Theon.

Ser Davos Seaworth,
    Lol, that is a mistake left over from my last second changes :P. Fixed.

Ser Davos Seaworth,
    Cotter Pyke could just be an extra that is name-dropped. I just don’t like the idea of it being a two horse race between Janos and Alliser. Perhaps if the guy that played Bowen Marsh in S1 is returning it could be him.

As for Locke, unless I am much mistaken there was an interview in a magazine recently that basically said that Locke would be helping Jon.

I share your feelings about Arya and Sandor, but there is only so long that they can stretch that material out for

And for Joseph Gatt, I believe I read somewhere that he is playing a Thenn warg, so my first thought was Varamyr :P.

ShadowStalker,
    I think it would be a wise move to get Brienne’s storyline completely out of the way in S4 so that there is more room for everything else in S5. She can be hanged in the finale, then reappear in front of Jaime in the S5 finale.

And I do believe that Paul Kaye was seen in the Belfast area during filming.

lol,
    Another mistake from changing things :P. Fixed.

108. mariamb
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Ozymandias:
    Daily Beast review : http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/02/why-got-is-the-best-fantasy-show-ever-and-you-ll-love-season-4.html

The Hollywood Reporter review : http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/game-thrones-tv-review-692900

Thanks. Two excellent reviews, particularly The Daily Beast one offers the explanation of why some refuse to watch GOT – “I don’t like fantasy” – which is what I always hear from family/friends.

Now we wait for the usual trashing from the NY Times.

109. JP Dayne
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Petyr is love, guys.
    Never forget that.

110. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Strider, m’lady. I am proud to be your people. I admit I got a “semi” for a sec reading that, but had just got thru people’s speculation about LF’s April fools article and figgered it out pretty quick…. Now my balls are indigo.

Also, I loved what you said about LF’s motivations, lysa, etc… We’ll see how DnD go with it but……..

Grynthaline,

I agree. Especially cuz he’s sullied. I certainly hope this is the case.

WompWomp,

That’s hilarious! And ya know, I gross myself out everyday, it’s good for ya!

FOUR MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

111. Daniellica
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee…

112. Lior
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Gillen seems to have read the books: he calls Catelyn “Catelyn Tully”, where the show has consistently referred to her as “Catelyn Stark”. I think the show name reflects modern expectations about family names rather than mediaeval ones, and was probably chosen to make it clearer to the viewers that Catelyn was Ned Stark’s wife.

113. Greenjones
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 1:11 am | Permalink

mariamb,

I think I speak for all of us when I say FUCK THE NEW YORK TIMES!

114. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Greenjones,

Awesome. Please speak on my behalf anytime.

Mine own dear mother told me “but I don’t like fantasy”. I said, read the prologue and if you’re not into it, I won’t push the issue. Alas- five books cashed in one month. She may have set a record.

Daniellica,

Arrow! But at this hour, I’m missing the reference :/ Did you fall in love?

115. Greenjones
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

“All the news that’s fit to print”? Arrogant pricks. Genre-condescenders, that’s what they are.

116. vlad
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

He’s so different from the books :(, I liked the mystery of Baelish a lot. Unfortunately HBO doesn’t trust enough in the viewers to keep him a mystery, they kind of gave away everything. Now they contradict that?? Sure, Littlefinger has long term plans, but he doesn’t necessarily expect them to work. He thrives on chaos, they said as much in Season 3: “chaos is a ladder” (or something like that). He adapts the fastest, he makes sure that everyone likes him (not in the show of course, where nobody likes him). The one with really long-term plans is Varys, and they shouldn’t blur the lines between the two, they are very different in the books, and should be the same in the show. Just my opinion.

117. The Winter Rose
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

vlad,

Yeah, I agree. I am really disappointed with how they’ve adapted Littlefinger in the show.

118. Tatters
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Best character in the show.
    My favorite at least.

119. Daniellica
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

The Winter Rose,

I also very much like the book version of Littlefinger, but do my best to view TV Littlefinger as his own character. Yes, he is much more obvious, but part of what is awesome about that is that he is much more blunt about who he is in the show and everyone (except Varys) still underestimates him. They just can’t imagine this little guy from shitrock outmaneuvering them, which in a way reinforces their own blind spots and arrogance.

Sister Wrister,

Fall in love? With adventurers, arrows, or knees?
    Sorry D: It is from Skyrim. I guess my Thuum needs more practice.

OT, but…I’ve talked/cajoled/seduced/bullied many people into watching the show and/or reading the books, and it has always made me so giddy when they succumb to The Obsession, but a friend of mine I was working on for months just watched all three seasons in about 4 days and I’ve received about 50 individual emails from him with the craziest criticisms in the universe and I am wondering if this is karma for my insistence. He thinks pretty much all the character motivation is forced and contrived but fully expected Dany to arise from the flames with a Drogo/Dragon mutant baby.

At least he’s funny, though: “ooh big surprise captain dicksauce is a nigerian scammer with a vault full of nothing”

120. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Never did the skyrim thing :/ And, wow. That is pretty funny rundown of show xaro. It amazes me those Nigerian scams even exist- it means some people, like Dany, must fall for them.

Offer your weight in gold/
    Tell me your worth in salt/
    Would you imprison the sun inside your empty vault?