HBO relaunches the Game of Thrones Viewer’s Guide
By Lightbringer on in Media.

HBO’s Game of Thrones Viewer’s Guide has been given a makeover, relaunching yesterday with a ton of new features just in time to brush up for Sunday’s Season 4 premiere.

The new site features interactive maps, complete character bios (in case you’ve forgotten anyone’s name), a Guide to the Houses, and more. There are lots of behind the scenes treats from every episode, including cast and crew commentary, and artisan pieces.

The Viewer’s Guide will be delivering shareable exclusive content for each episode of the upcoming season to all platforms, and will look darn good while doing it. So take a break from staring at the countdown clock, and explore Game of Thrones.

1. zod
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Pikachu.

2. Hanth of the Kingthlayer
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

SHITMOUTH.
    EDIT: fuck me

3. Tomato Knight
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Stannis!

4. The Dragon Demands
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

There are a few minor spelling mistakes here and there, nothing big.

The weirdest thing is the entirely new navigation system, obviously meant more for iPhones than laptops.

Annoyingly, they removed the heraldry for all but the Great Houses from character infoboxes.

5. Fiona
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

How might a woman get past the first page on the website to access the content? A woman is grateful for your assistance.

6. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Fiona,

I had to click the “Explore Season 3 Finale” button to get to the content

7. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I can’t seem to get it to work… (On iPhone) …can someone tell me if there are any new pictures for any new locations? Aka. Dreadfort or even Moat Cailin which I can see is on the map

8. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

If any moderators are reading this, can you change that Daily Show embed to just a link? Every time I go one the main page it starts autoplaying and I have to find it and pause it. It’s really annoying.

9. Carne
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Yeah, I found navigating around rather messy.

10. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Yeah I wondered the same if it was intended more for ipads and such… Not easy to get around on the computer, and as someone else mentioned, a bit messy in layout generally. They could’ve done better

11. Fiona
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

Nope, no pictures for Moat Cailin or Dreadfort, just info blurbs. :(

12. Fiona
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

Thanks Mrs. D. It worked – a clunky way to get in, but it worked. Now I can finally look around.

13. Fiona
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Seems designed for touch screens. Very hard to navigate around – have to use arrow keys. Increasingly annoying.

14. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Fiona,

Disappointing…

15. Patchface
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Martin announces release date for WoW:

“I’m happy to announce that Winds of Winter will be released at the conclusion of this season of Game of Thrones,” Martin says in a statement. “I actually finished the book three years ago, around the same time as A Dance with Dragons, but my publisher wanted to see if Game of Thrones the TV show really took off in popularity before releasing it so we could really capitalize on that.”

“We learn that Cersei is Jon Snow’s mother in Winds of Winter, and that her affair with Ned Stark is what woke the White Walkers,” Martin reveals. “And Daenerys gets to Westeros but decides she prefers the warmer climate of Essos and turns back around.”

16. The Boy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

And the House Bolton heraldry is the only one to have some weird blotchy background!

17. Daniellica
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Patchface: “We learn that Cersei is Jon Snow’s mother in Winds of Winter, and that her affair with Ned Stark is what woke the White Walkers,” Martin reveals.

HAHAHAHA

18. The Boy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

There isn’t, but we have a new picture of the Dreadfort on the Game of Thrones Wiki. Taken from a TV spot, I think. http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dreadfort

19. Brian
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink
  20. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Martin also lets slip that before Dany can make it back across the Narrow Sea, her dragons wreak some havoc in the Seven Kingdoms, “Everyone is burned alive by the dragons, including Daenerys.” Martin says. “At the end of the book, the only survivors are Rickon Stark and Asha Greyjoy [Yara on the show], and book seven is about their journey to find each other and repopulate the country. It’s actually going to be stretched to three books most likely, since there will be a lot of food they’ll eat along the way that will need describing.”

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL he nailed it.

21. Balerion The Cat
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

New review for the first 2 episodes (a bit spoilery)
    communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/37836-tv-review-game-of-thrones-season-four

22. Deathdreams
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Hanth of the Kingthlayer,

Maybe next time Vargo.

23. Balerion The Cat
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

The Boy,

I don’t recall this shot it any of the trailers/promos but it does look like it. Maybe from the new region blocked HBO Nordic promos.

I need Monday to come now! (yeah, living outside of the US sucks)

24. Carne
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Episode 1 preview (with quite a lot of new footage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pCpRSLi5c

And this: http://instagram.com/p/mS_g07sbGU/#

25. Eddard Stark II
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Tormund’s coming! HUAAA!!!

26. House Nieder
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

This is so off topic but I don’t care.

I have had one gripe with the television show. Only one. And I’m curious if anyone else wished they had this scene: When the Karstsrks abandon Robb. Haven’t read Storm of Swords in a couple years but I built up this visual in my head of men on horses angrily riding out of Riverrun whole Catelyn looks down out of her tower in horror. They knock down Stark banners and maybe some violence, just enough to show these houses have separated. Instead it happens off screen and I feel it would have added to the dread of Robb’s downfall.

Did anyone else wish this was included in the show? I realize it is inconsequential but just for visual and emotional purposes.

27. Patchface
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Yep, my feelings exact!

28. jentario
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Brian,

I’m so happy. This actually reflects what the rest of the season will be like. It definitely deserves a good boost.

29. House Nieder
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Viserion vs. Rhaegal OH MY?!?

30. King of the Ashes
    Posted April 2, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

i liked the old map better… but seeing house Bolton as the Lords of Winterfell.. gave me chills

31. Ren Snow
    Posted April 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Kind of chaotic… the House Bolton page doesn’t load. The season 1 info on the Tyrells still calls Loras the third son of Mace Tyrell… and they went ahead and combined Black Walder Frey with Walder Rivers