Unsullied Recap, Game of Thrones Episode 401
By Oz of Thrones on in Editorial, Recap.

twoswords

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  Greetings fellow WiCsters!  Your Unsullied leader has returned to recap mode and finally, we can discuss an actual episode!  The wait has been long.  The winter has been harsh.  401 is in the books and it’s time to converse.  So take a break from cleaning up the Wildling mess your friends made and join me.  The Game is On…

Previous Episode/Season Intro:  I always find the opening sequence of past events interesting because typically there is some type of foreshadowing of content we the viewers may be treated to in the episode itself.  It’s especially good when Dontos shows up in it.  WTF?!?!

Then there was a clip of the great Ned, which led us to Tywin opening up the Season while“Rains” played in the background. Ned’s sword is pulled from a wolf sheath and melted and forged into two new swords while the wolf skin was burned.  I thought this opening was beautifully done and quite powerful.  It actually gave me goose bumps for a moment.

And the theme music hits… the Game is back.  Seven Hells Yes!

Two new locations on the map that I noticed: The Dreadfort and Meereen.  If I missed one, let me know!

Jaime.  After a long stretch of bad hygiene and canteens of horse piss, the Kingslayer looked rested and clean.  Tywin planned to send Jaime to Casterly Rock, but the Kingslayer was having none of it.  After all, how can you pick up an incestuous relationship with your sister if you have to turn around and leave again?  Was this the real reason Tywin was attempting to send him home in the first place?

Regardless, Jaime makes it clear that he is going nowhere.  It was nice to see someone stand up and tell Paw Paw “no” for once.  Apparently, Jaime is the only one that can get away with it without some kind of serious repercussion.

Later, Jaime gets fitted for his new hand and finds out that Cersei’s feelings for him have changed considerably since he has been gone.  She also looks to have taken up drinking wine as a full time hobby and “Drunk Cersei” seems to be a fitting nickname.  Even Jaime points it out.

Side note: It’s good to see Qyburn still in the mix.  In other news, Pycelle smells like dead cats.

Podrick got a haircut during the off-season and is well versed on Dorne House Sigils.  And Bronn may have the best one-liners in the whole show.

Oberyn Martell.  The new character that everyone is talking about immediately visits the neighborhood brothel and makes quite the first impression.  He definitely came across as a badass (IMO).

Here is some eccentric Oz shit for you: while the Viper was looking over the brothel menu (and testing out the back sides of each), my mind started playing the Julio Iglesias portion of the song, “To All The Girls I’ve Loved Before.”  I know, I’m a weirdo.

Of course if it had been playing, it would have skipped when we find out that apparently Oberyn is a fan of both the ladies and the gents.  If I’m not mistaken, the guy that is told to take his clothes off is the same guy that Loras was with last season (which means he also lied to Oberyn when he told him he had never been with a prince).

Just as Oberyn and his partner (Ellaria?) are about to begin their 4-way and explode the minds of gratuitous sex haters, a distant singing voice of a Lannister bannerman pulls the attention of the Viper and we get a small sampling of how quick and dangerous he is.  Tyrion saves the men from a potential deadly strike and Oberyn discusses the reasons for his visit and that “the Lannisters are not the only ones who pay their debts.”

I think the addition of the character Oberyn Martell is excellent.  I was intrigued every minute he was on screen.  I don’t know how his character is portrayed in the book, but I thought that the casting decision of Pedro Pascal could not have been better and I can’t wait to see what the guy does next.  Obviously he has issues with the Mountain and we know from the previews that there is an eventual dual between the two.  I hope that episode is sooner than later.

Dany.  Awesome return scene depicting the much larger dragons and the mutilated goat.  The dragons look outstanding and I appreciate the hell out of the small details like Dany’s hair blowing when Drogon takes flight.  The growing deference of the dragons is alluring to the Dany story arc to say the least.  And so are the horrible mile markers to Meereen.

Daario.  If I had but one complaint afforded me by the God of grievances, it would be the transition (or the lack thereof) from the old Daario to the new.  Daario and Grey Worm are engrossed in some type of sword endurance test when Dany approaches them.  After the scene, Ozzette inquired as to the identity of the dark haired guy.  I only knew because I had seen a picture of him earlier on.

Maybe the Daario’s Florist scene would have been a better transition to the new Daario if it were shown before the Grey Worm sword contest?  What was your opinion of the transition?  From what you have seen thus far, do you favor the old or the new?

Tyrion, Shae, and Sansa.  Sansa is understandably still upset with the loss of her family and Tyrion’s attempt at consoling her is less than effective.  Later, Drunk Dontos stalks Sansa and presents her with a necklace that was passed down from generations within his once powerful House.  I can only assume this will be significant later?

Meanwhile, Tyrion and Shae meet up again and are seen by one of Cersei’s little birds.  The bird goes back to the Queen Regent to presumably chirp about her findings.  Considering the timing of Varys’ plea to Shae to leave KL in the last episode of S3, this seemed like a somewhat predictable occurrence.  But I’m still interested in how it plays out.  It would be wise if Shae would reconsider.

In the “what the hell is that” department, we meet the “Thenns”, a group that not only want to kill Crows, but also doesn’t mind eating them.  At some point, I hope we get more backstory on who these guys are and an explanation on their appearance.  By the way, was that the Albino with the eagle on his shoulder?  Just.  Freakin.  Awesome.

Jon Snow:  Jon is recovering nicely from the arrow wounds and is summoned to the Night’s Watch Congressional Hearing where his loyalty to the Crows seemed vastly unappreciated.  It’s good to see that the former commander of the City Watch (Slynt maybe?) continues to try and earn the Jackass award whether he is in the North or the South.

The Queen of Thorns and Margaery discuss wedding jewelry and reveal that the wedding will be in a fortnight.  I’m not sure how that translates into number of episodes, but it leads one to believe the royal wedding will happen quite soon.  Brienne shows up to speak to Marg about the death of Renly.  It was good to see that Brienne is not being mistreated in KL, or at least, not yet.

Joffrey is gleefully rounding out his quest to torment and royally piss off every family member and acquaintance he comes in contact with.  My only real observation about King Crossbow remains the same: who is going to attempt to kill him first?

The Stark and The Hound:  We finish it all up with Westeros’ most unlikely duo.  I could analyze it blow for blow but in the end, Polliver would have been better off giving the Hound his chicken.  And if you ever hear a little girl say that she would kill to have her own pony, may you always think about the end of this episode.

Episode 401 Personal Awards

Favorite Scene:  Tough call this week as I really liked the scene between Jaime/ Tywin, and the Red Viper/anyone.  But I have to go with Arya’s revenge quote for Lommy.  Polliver deserved it.

Favorite Quote #1: ”What the fuck’s a Lommy?” –The Hound
Favorite Quote #2: ”Five Horses.  Five Men.  More than I feel like killing on an empty stomach.”  –The Hound
Favorite Quote #3:  “A one handed man with no family needs all the help he can get” –Tywin Lannister
Favorite Quote #4:  “How many Dornishmen does it take to fuck a goat?” -Bronn

Ow, That Shit Hurts Award:  The Hound pounding that face into a dagger.  Damn.

Jackass Award:  Anytime Slynt (?), Ser Meryn and Joffrey are in an episode, they will likely be in the running to win this award.  But this week it has to go to Ser Aliser Thorne for being a traditional asshole and not missing a beat after being absent for the past two seasons.  Welcome back, and congratulations on being named Lord Commander, jerk.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I think it was a solid season opener.  It was far from my favorite episode, but it was nowhere near the worst.  When it comes to Thrones, it’s like my Grandfather said about sex… the worst I ever had was good.  There were many characters that weren’t included (Lysa, Robin, and Roose just to name a few), but I thought the pacing was good and it set up some crucial events for the near future.  The landscapes were beautiful as were the sets, the costumes and the effects, and I always walk away from this show feeling like I have been to see a major motion picture.

What were your favorite quotes?  Scenes?

How do you think the Red Viper went over?

What was good and not so good?

A man will be back on Friday for Looking Forward Episode 402.  Until then, have a great week, enjoy more coverage and content on WiC, invite some friends who don’t know about us over to the site, and may there always be peace in your realm. –Oz

“Unbowed.  Unbent.  Unsullied.”

PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THE UNSULLIED… Do not post spoilers in this comment thread!

1. Mescalinic
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

best first episode! loved it. Pascal is amazing.

2. chamush
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Stalin!!

3. D'Arcy
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Loras is no prince.

4. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I’m very curious: the opening scene seemed to resonate with Oz, but did it resonate with other Unsullied? I feel like the significance of the sword was lacking due to its lack of presence in the series (though as a Sullied, I thought it was beautiful.)

5. Bryon
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Well portrayed Red Viper.

6. Adam
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Loras isn’t a prince, he’s a son of a major lord which means he’s… something besides a prince.

7. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Ye Olde Wolfe,

I am unsullied, and i thought that scene was great, except the fact that I HATE TYWIN and hate him for doing that to Ned’s sword.

Can you explain something please… ? He was talking about the rarity of Valyrian swords – Ned had one – which he made into two for him and jamie.. right?
    and Jon snow has one….
    does anyone else have one? (from previous seasons)

8. Bryon
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Ye Olde Wolfe,

Many may have forgotten how big Ned’s sword ice was. Or maybe it just didn’t click that Ned’s sword was being reformed to two swords for the Lannisters and how tough Baleryian steel is to re work.

9. Sanna
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

D’Arcy,

Just about to point the same thing out; Loras might be the heir of Highgarden, but he’s no prince. Not even when/if his sister’s queen.

Otherwise, good points and nice comments!

The opening scene especially, with Rains playing was some strong symbolic stuff.

10. Sanna
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Gosensgo,

The rather signifigant dagger in season one was valyrian steel with dragon bone handle.
    Valyrian steel stuff is rare since there is no Valyria anymore and most of the valyrian steel was destroyed with it, I guess…

11. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Sanna,

oh yeah thats true!
    anyone else we know having a valariyan steel sword?

12. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Patchy Face,

I figured as much.
    Yeah beautiful scene, but not so much! I hate Tywin

13. 3eyes
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Starting off with a bracing dose of Ser Bronn worked for me. Arya and Needle reunited at last, so I got one thing that I wanted. Excellent pacing in this episode – never felt rushed or crammed with too much to absorb. Marjorie and Brienne! Looks to be all over for Shae (and Tyrion?), and Slynt is Thenn meat. That is all.

14. Assunta
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Returning to this site after a hiatus. Does anyone know if there is still a Sullied Recap being posted? Last season an immediate, gut-reaction recap would be posted very shortly after the episode aired then a more thorough one later in the week. I am not sure if that format has been changed. Does anyone know?

And I SO want to answer questions about Valyrian steel but feel it would be inappropriate and spoilery. Don’t want to be that jerk.

15. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

My apologies on the Loras mistake. I should know better in dealing with assumptions. He’s a knight, but not a prince, and he’s the heir. I got it, I think.

16. tortue
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Sam’s father has one, so does Ser Lyn Corbray (some vale badass). Not many others

17. Lossoth
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Longclaw, Jon’s sword, given to him by Lord Commander Mormont, is Valyrian steel. Hence all the comments about how sharp it is.

18. AndromedAxx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Ye Olde Wolfe,

Can you explain something please… ? He was talking about the rarity of Baleriyan swords – Ned had one – which he made into two for him and jamie.. right?
    and Jon snow has one….
    does anyone else have one? (from previous seasons)

Valyrian steel swords are something that a some major and some minor houses have. They don’t show them much in the show but they are stronger/lighter/better made blades and are mostly a status symbol. If you see one, you know that the house in question was once powerful or still is powerful. The Lannisters lost theirs and don’t have one anymore and that always pissed Tywin off.

19. Andy Gavin
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

A great start to the season, and one that covered about as many of the narrative threads as humanly possible. Only a few of the peripheral stories are left out (Bran, Stannis, Theon, etc) as the writer’s really tried to put all the pieces on the board. Fortunately too, there is some of that trademark Thrones action shock factor. As always, my detailed thoughts on the episode can be found on my blog.

20. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Lossoth,

Yeah i knew about lonclaw.

Thanks for the info all.
    Where was that dagger left last? is it in kings landing?

21. Strider
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

“If I’m not mistaken, the guy that is told to take his clothes off is the same guy that Loras was with last season (which means he also lied to Oberyn when he told him he had never been with a prince).”

To the bold and in the words of Master Aemon: it’s King’s Landing…

EDIT: I made the same mistake! Ha, and I’m a book reader who knew more about the Tyrells than an Unsullied. Go figure!

“Just as Oberyn and his partner (Ellaria?) are about to begin their 4-way and explode the minds of gratuitous sex haters, a distant singing voice of a Lannister bannerman pulls the attention of the Viper and we get a small sampling of how quick and dangerous he is.”

You do have a way with words! for some strange reason I just love this particular paragraph.

Nice newbie review!

22. Eric
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

The only other Valyrian Steel blade that has appeared on the show (as far as I know) was the dagger the assassin who tried to kill Bran Stark used in Season 1.

23. Hizdadfs zo Fazlofp
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Ye Olde Wolfe:

Yes, it did. It resonated with seven of my Unsullied friends.

24. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

AndromedAxx,

I can see that…

25. Mike Bolton
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Your grandfather was a wise man

26. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Eric,

and Jon’s sword!

27. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Hizdadfs zo Fazlofp,

Agreed
    I had chills watching that scene.

28. Penny Douglas
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

You covered all of the points very well. I loved the premiere! It makes us realize that we are in for a great season. I love the Warrior Arya! She is learning from a very good killer, one who actual kills for enjoyment.
    So many great points. Dany is my favorite character so it is great to see her again and her dragons! Gonna be in for quite the ride!

29. Eric
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Yea, but you mentioned that one already. I was trying to think of any others besides Ice and Longclaw.

30. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

tormund’s_member,

LOL… I know. My apologies for making such assumptions. A man warns against it often, and there I go jumping off the bridge.

And thank you for the clarification on the titles of “Prince” in Dorne. Makes perfect sense.

31. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Eric,

my bad!

32. leviosa
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Sanna,

oh yeah thats true!
    anyone else we know having a valariyan steel sword?

33. Darkstar
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

In the books, it’s mentioned that almost all old houses have a Valyrian steel sword which is passed through the generations. The Lannisters didn’t have one, because an ancestor carrying it was lost and the sword never recovered, which has always been a sore point to Tywin, as Jaime makes plain (“You’ve wanted one of these in the family for a long time.”)

In other news, great first episode, as a book-reader I enjoyed it enormously, and your Unsullied recap, oh great Oz, makes it even better!

Favourite quote (among maybe 10000 great ones tonight): “I’d probably go to sleep, but I’m getting old.” Almost fell off the couch with this one!

34. Braincandy
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I loved almost everything but I especially loved the scene with Jamie and Cersei. D&D did a great job with that scene. My favorite part of the scene was when the handmaiden knocked on the door and Cersei says “come in” (because she wants a distraction) and Jamie says “go away” (?) because he wants to continue the discussion. I was a fantastic way to show that they have grown apart. I wonder though did Jamie stay to hear what the handmaiden had to report?

35. Illuminatus
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome back, Oz!
    A man is grateful to playing re-cap & comment with fellow WiCsters again.

36. Nipplesonabreastplat
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Excellent recap, Oz…love, love, love reading your posts!
    Did you happen to notice how fascinated Arya has become with killing? Polliver’s death scene especially showed (to me) the flip side to Arya and she seemed to be watching intently and almost experimentally as needle went into his throat…chilling new Arya. Maisie plays her SO well. That scene will stick with me for quite a while!

37. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

“Needle? Of course you named your sword.”
    “Lots of people name their swords.”
    “Lots of Cunts.”

38. Lloga
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

It’s probably just the Hypothronia speaking, but I really, really liked the episode.

The “previoulsy on …” segment mentioned above did a very good job to introduce the episode, I think, especially concerning the cold opener with Tywin visiting the blacksmith.

The first episodes of the previous two seasons were a bit weaker (and often overloaded with exposition for new viewers), this one worked fine, at least for me.

My favourite one-liner was a bit of a questionable one:
    “A man must have a code.”
    Which is kind of twisted, because THIS stick-up artist’s code is more like: Always kill the commoners, but never steal from the rich …

39. John
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I was impressed that this was the first episode ever that D.B. Weiß directed, I think it was really good! :)

40. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Eric,

Only a minor mention, but in season 2, when talking to Tywin, Arya mentions Dark Sister, the valyrian steel sword belonging to Visenya Targaryen.

41. Valyrian eyes
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

leviosa: Well, Dany has the possibility to create as many as she want since she has dragons. As far as I know the special thing about it is that it’s forged in dragon fire.

It’s neither the only special nor exactly what’s special about it; like Tywin said only few people know how to work valyrian steel, even if the dragon fire were the only difference she still wouldn’t be able to do it because she doesn’t the “spells” and techniques mentioned ina asoiaf that are necessary to forge valyrian steel; she’s not a blacksmith.

42. Illuminatus
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I’m glad Jon is showing some spine early on. His conversation with Sam was pretty standard Mopey Emo Jon, but damn did he talk some smack to that idiot Janos Slynt (“…you must not have been very good at your job.” Boom.) I’m sure we’ll still get plenty of his signature look (what’s High Valyrian for “Blue Steel”?) but he’s finally talking like someone who could turn into a real leader.

43. Dominique
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Ré: past Valyrian steel swords.

I think Samwell Tarly mentioned his father Randyll’s sword, a heirloom for which he thought Sam to be unworthy of.

44. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Illuminatus,

I loved it when Slynt tried to mock Jon over giants not realizing giants are real.

45. Lloga
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Illuminatus,

Agree, good to see Jon showing a bit more of a personality now. Maybe his somewhat random storyline finally pays dividends …

46. Turncloak
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Arya mentions to Tywin in season 2 the Valyrian steel sword of Rhaenys (sister wife of Aegon the conqueror). The sword is called “Darksister”

47. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Re: Ser Alliser Thorne and the Jackass Award. I believe it was stated that he is currently the provisional Lord Commander.

48. Turncloak
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Does anyone have screenclips of The book of brothers? I want to read the pages as I noticed they were briefly shown in the episode

49. Chriss
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else kind of really dislike Bryan Cogman? His episodes, for me, are always the weaker ones, and I really dislike the changes he makes. So I was a little dispirited to see he has two episodes, rather than the usual one, this season.

50. Silverstormm
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Great review Oz, as always very entertaining to read. Oberyn has such swagger, love it!

Btw, Thorne (the ass) isn’t THE Lord Commander, he’s just ‘Acting LC’, a small but relevant difference. (Thank God!).

51. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Chriss,

Most people around here love Bryan Cogman and wish he wrote more episodes, myself included, but to each their own.

52. Turncloak
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Chriss:

What? Cogman’s episodes are the most faithful to the book. It is known

53. House_Tully
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I believe Thorne said he was acting commander, not the Lord Commander.

54. Chriss
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Hexonx:
    Chriss,

I’ve noticed that D & D aren’t the most popular around here, but I think on the whole they’re great. Cogman, though, can drag things a bit, and I said, has made a change or two which really didn’t work for me.

I mean, obviously I’m being pedantic, and everyone on the show is the top of their field, but the most obvious example is Selyse’s weird foetal test tube thing. Not only did it make her character too loopy, it also looked like it was out of a sci-fi show. That scene will be forever jarring to me.

55. Dragonslayer
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Chriss,

Are you trolling? This is the newbie recap thus it isn’t the place to discuss book changes. Besides, I thought it was common agreement among the readers that Cogman is the best writer (wich includes the most dirct book quotations; D&D aren’t bad either)?

56. FIRE-n-BLOOD
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Scene: Of course the hound and arya, but to narrow it down, I would say the conversation with Polliver.

Quote: “You’re a talker, talkers make me drink.”

Who was that again? Slynt/Thorne, two assholes in one place at the same time.

57. Red Viper 9
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

The dagger was last seen when Littlefinger betrayed Ned in season one. Cat left it with Ned, and LF pulled it out from Ned’s belt and held it up to his throat when he delivered the “I warned you not to trust me” line.

58. Strepsi
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I loved the Red Viper! I had to LOL because he’s so badass he purposefully burns his hand on a candle walking by it just because he’s so badass.

re: NEW DAARIO versus DAARIO CLASSIC: the new guy is handsomer, and a good actor. I actually have a problem more with the costuming and makeup! (rare for this show) At least you could tell the old one with his long flowing hair and braid. This one has no distinguishing features from a dozen other characters.

Not a spoiler, but the race in the books have three-pointed BLUE BEARDS — which, with beards so popular these days, would be amazing fo viewers. (and they could go “There’s Dany and Blue Beard guy!”) Why they didn’t give New Daario some braids and a blue beard is beyond me!

59. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Chriss,

Well any changes are done by D&D. There are other writers writing some episodes but within the confines that D&D set.

60. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Hizdadfs zo Fazlofp: Yes, it did. It resonated with seven of my Unsullied friends. Sometimes I think book people give the show watchers too little credit. You know, if someone hasn’t read ASOIAF that doesn’t mean he/ she is stupid. And vice versa, if someone has read five books, that doesn’t mean he/ she is smart.

That’s good to hear! I felt like the show didn’t do the sword any justice in the past two seasons. It was prominently seen in 101, but after that I don’t think it’s given much attention outside of Ned’s beheading. I don’t think the show ever even mentions the sword’s name, nor it being made of Valyrian steel until now. I was more questioning the show’s handling of the sword, not the ability (nor intelligence) to pick up on its siginifcance. Good to know I was wrong about the show’s handling of it because I loved that scene.

61. YvyB
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Great stuff Oz , I always like reading your reviews.. Minor side note , I’m sure it’s a badger pelt … like the one Ned wore. :D

62. Insomnia333
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

One point of correction. Thorne isn’t Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. Lord Commanders are elected by the men of the Watch. He’s merely in charge as the highest ranking officer until a new Lord Commander is elected.

Edit – I see a few others above have also mentioned that.

63. Chriss
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Dragonslayer:
    Chriss,

Not everyone who has an unpopular opinion is a troll. Quite frankly, the fact that my comment is literally just a statement of opinion with no inflammatory language should make it crystal clear that I’m not trolling.

Thanks for the advice regarding being on topic, but I may return the favour, and suggest you don’t tell someone to stay on topic before continuing the conversation you’ve just called off topic?

Hexonx:
    Chriss,

Well any changes are done by D&D.There are other writers writing some episodes but within the confines that D&D set.

It’s not about scripting the books verbatim, it’s just in general, I don’t really like his episodes as much as the others.

64. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

John:

I believe both D&D directed this ep. They both directed an ep last year but apparently only one person can be credited as the director so David got the credit last year & Dan got the credit this year.

65. Dan
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Allister Thorne is not the Lord Commander. He is in charge of the garrison at Castle Black for the time being

66. House Mormont
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

We didn’t get them here in the UK, so can anybody tell me what was on the Previously on/Next Week ons

67. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Chriss: Ah, well, that’s not quite true. At least not according to Cogman’s season 3 commentary in which he says he’s directly responsible for the change I’m alluding to. Actually, haha, he says, people who don’t like it should blame him. Just taking his advice.

Fair enough. I’m sure he has his own ideas about his own episodes but still any changes would have to be approved by D&D I would think.

68. Chriss
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Hexonx: Fair enough.I’m sure he has his own ideas about his own episodes but still any changes would have to be approved by D&D I would think.

Seemingly he’s also responsible for deciding Loras swiftly gets over Renly and sleeps with that prostitute. Another unwise change, I’d suggest. I mean it’s great he keeps lines from the books, but my issue is that he changes the characters quite a bit.

69. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Illuminatus,

I agree.. i loved it
    I wish we saw more of his reaction about Robb.

70. Eor!
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Normally I think the “did the unsullied get it?” comes from when the book readers are wondering something before the show has it. Ned’s sword is talked about more in the book, and isn’t really mentioned in the show, so they were wondering “what will the show do when it’s melted?”. Then it happened and they asked. Things might have more buildup in the book, so with the buildup gone, but the sullied already knowing the answers, they wonder if the show is being effective, not if every unsullied in an idiot who can’t peice things together. Though some of that probably comes from ultra-fanboys who decide that everything in the book is superior to everything, therefore any changes must be negative, and “oh the poor unsullied they’re not going to have any idea because this line of dialogue was cut”

71. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Where is this sword now?!?!

72. Eor!
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

It showed Arya getting robbed of Needle by Poliver, Rob dying, drunk man Dontos getting saved by Sansa in the second season premiere, and other things. Ends with a cut of Ned executing the ranger in the first episode, mixed with Ned’s own execution so you can see that it’s the same sword. Ends with the bloody sword shot from Ned’s death, then leads immediately to the sword getting melted.

73. NateSMZ
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

So much win in this episode. Oberyn was written and acted wonderfully. The little cut from Joffrey’s statue in the gardens to him actually standing there in a similar pose was hilariously infuriating. Arya and the Hound were excellent. Jon got to show some acting. And on and on. My only quibbles were:

Not a fan of the Daario recast. Old Daario was visually distinctive, and had this self-satisfied smirk… it just made Dany’s infatuation and Jorah’s annoyance fit. New Daario doesn’t stand out at all.

Other than that my wife said the Hounds burn makeup looked different, I didn’t notice, but maybe? And I wish they’d dyed Jamie’s hair.

Minor quibbles, the episode was great. Was great to have a full 59 minutes too.

74. Red Viper 9
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Oz, as always, great stuff. I’m a Sullied fan of the show, but reading your Unsullied recaps and previews has become one of the highlights — if not the highlight — of the WiC experience.

Having already rewatched the episode, I’m ranking this as the best season premiere since season one. Well paced, fantastic writing, beautifully shot, and outstanding acting. The final scene with Arya and the Hound — from their give and take before entering the inn, to the conversation with Polliver, to the fight and its climax — has to be one of the best overall sequences the show has done (not quite at the level of the Battle of the Blackwater or the Red Wedding, but still very good).

Loved the Red Viper’s introduction (as you can probably tell by my username, he’s one of my favorite book characters); his exchange with Bronn was awesome in every definition of the word. The conversation between Jaime and Tywin is one of my favorite book scenes, and I think they did a good job with it. And any scene with the Queen of Thorns is a good one.

Regarding the new Daario Naharis, I’ll reserve judgment until later in the season. “New” Daario does seem to capture certain elements of book Daario’s persona, but I think we’ll have to wait and see what direction D&D are going in with the character (without spoiling anything, I will say that “old” Daario also captured certain facets of book Daario’s persona).

Once again, thanks for all the great work you do, Oz! Looking forward to the next few months.

75. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Chriss: As a little aside, he mentions in his commentary that he wrote the scene in which Loras and the prostitute have sex as them both being naked. Kinda interesting that at some point Finn Jones got to keep his clothes on. Nicolaj Coster Waldau is actually the one who brings it up in relation to the frequency of female nudity. Thought that was quite strange.

I remember reading/listening to a lot of the cast interviews in the build up for this season & one asked Pedro about his opening scene (I believe the interviewer had already seen the 1st ep) and Pedro said something like, “well that stuff wasn’t that hard to do, being naked is easy it was working with all the great actors that scared me.” So I was assuming there was going to be some naked Viper (I’m not complaining that there wasn’t) but again only female nudity.

76. David The Grey
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Oz, you have a gift with words and timing. “In other news, Pycelle smells like dead cats.”

Now to finish reading. I had to post that before some other brilliant statement you make flushed this one out of my one-thought-at-a-time brain.

77. Sifusifu
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

In the episode Thorne calls himself “acting Commander” and no one denies it. That’s all the info the show has given us about chain of command at the Wall.

Ninja-ed above.

78. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Red Viper 9,

79. Hizdadfs zo Fazlofp
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Do you know how ridiculous you people look like when you post things under a spoiler tag in an Unsullied thread?

80. tormund's_member
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,
    Oz! No need to for apologies! Keep up the great work on the recaps. I love reading them, even being Sullied and all!

81. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

“How many Dornishmen does it take to fuck a goat?”

Does anyone have thoughts?

82. Benjen
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Alliser Thorne is ACTING Lord Commander right now. More of council right now it looks like though.

83. Carne
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I love how they bring back very minor characters from previous seasons, such as Cersei’s spying handmaiden and Bowen Marsh.

84. mellowjohn
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

my favorite quote was bronn’s throw-away explanation of his rise from “hired killer” to knight: “I guess I killed the right people.”

85. Kyle
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

It was so good to see Janos Slynt, Alliser Thorne, and Maester Aemon again.

My only concern with Maester Aemon is that the actor, Peter Vaughan, might pass away before the show ends. Vaughan turned 91 this past week. I would really hate for him to pass, as Aemon, despite his few appearances, is one of my faves. Here’s to hoping for many more years of health for him!

86. Guy
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

People are saying that Loras is not a prince which is true, but he is betrothed to Cersei, so wouldn’t that make him a prince when they wed? Or at least that is the gist I get from English monarchy, isn’t Queen Elizabeth’s husband a prince, but then she isn’t a Queen Regent. So Oz is half rightish.

87. EverydayI'mHodoring
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Newbie Recap FTW!

88. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Red Viper 9,

I cant read that if its veiled! i am unsullied

89. Red Viper 9
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Apologies for that. All I’ll say then is that that the whereabouts of the sword are currently unknown.

90. Turncloak
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Nerd edit: looks like I confused the wielder of Dark Sister. Arya actually mentions to Tywin that Dark Sister was wielded by Visenya (Aegon’s elder sister) and not Rhaenys. Current whereabouts of The Dark Sister blade is unknown.

91. Turncloak
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Red Viper 9,

I cant read that if its veiled! i am unsullied

Then your S.O.L :/. Actually it’s a pretty mild spoiler IMO. I don’t think it will cause much harm to know the Targaryen who last wielded the blade. Your choice but I suggest we stop talking about spoilers on this thread :-)

92. Sean
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Putting aside the plot … I found this to be by far the best production, direction, and cinematography of the series to date. The fact that this is Dan Weiss’ first directorial attempt is astonishing (though it was actually directed by both Dave and Dan but only one can get the credit – last year Dave Benioff got his first directorial credit though he collaborated with Dan).

The cuts were perfectly timed, the angles on the pivotal lines was perfect (especially for Oberyn Martell & Arya/Hound), and the lighting/contrasts/framing of each scene was masterful.

This episode really stood out on a production level, as if getting the RW over with instilled the showrunners with a sense of confidence and relief – allowing them to focus on each individual scene rather than an impending one. I highly recommend watching the episode over again with an emphasis on how well directed it is.

93. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Red Viper 9,

thanks a lot red viper. love the name by the way

94. James
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Loras is not a Prince, Dorne calls themselves Prince and Princesses instead of lords. And Thorne is not the new Lord Commander, he’s just acting Lord Commander. He even says this.

95. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

patchface,

Can someone remind me where we saw Jaros Slynt? Kings Landing?? Bad person???
    IVE watched the show 4 times now
    Ugh i hate when i forget things. EVERYTHIng is important

96. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

James,

I feel bad for you Oz, how many have told you about your errors so far?

LOL

97. Steel_Wind
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    Gosensgo,

Yes – it is steel that was forged in Old Valyria (by dragon fire?) so very rare. As I recall, the knife that was used to try to kill Bran was also of this steel.

The above is essentially correct.

And the observation was made at the time the dagger surfaced that as a unique Valyrian steel dagger, it was far too costly and rare a weapon to be in the possession of any simple cuthroat in a stable. “Somebody gave it to him” was the observation made in Season 1. Littlefinger claimed he lost it to Tyrion Lannister in a bet when Loras unseated Jaime at a Tourney held on Prince Joffrey’s name day. Littlefinger says he lost the bet. If that was true, it suggested that Tyrion had bet on Loras and against his brother Jaime.

Lady Catelyn acts on this information when she seizes Tyrion at the Inn at the Crossroads and the War of the Five Kings thereafter starts when Tywin sends his troops in the field in response and the Mountain raids Tully lands. Jaime attacks Ned in the streets outside the brothel and the hot War is ON.

All that said, the matter of the Valyrian steel dagger and who gave it to the cutthroat — and who paid the assassin his thirty pieces of silver in order to try to kill Brandon Stark has STILL not been resolved in the television series.

98. Lloga
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

patchface,

I partially have to disagree.
    I think there is a fundamental difference between Tyrion back then and Jaime now in their respective views of the world and their position towards Tywin that doesn’t allow Tywin to “impact” him as much as his brother back then, and by extension, the impact on the audience is not as heavy. The much more devastating scene for Jaime is the one with Cersei, I’d say, and that contrast is beautifully arranged, in my opinion.

99. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

patchface: But I think the show writers screwed up in that scene. It was supposed to have a similar impact to the scene where Tywin and Tyrion argue in season 3. I think they were intending to make the scene more powerful but the director did a really bad job (I think the episode was directed by Weiss or whatever his name is and he clearly has no experience directing).

I think the direction was mostly good for this ep. As has been pointed out both D&D directed this ep and an ep last year so it was their 2nd go round. I agree with you on that scene though. At the end Tywin was almost like “what evs” rather than being truly pissed at Jaime.

100. patchface
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    patchface,

Can someone remind me where we saw Jaros Slynt? Kings Landing?? Bad person???
    IVE watched the show 4 times now
    Ugh i hate when i forget things. EVERYTHIng is important

Janos Slynt was responsible for killing Robert’s bastards and Tyrion exiled him to the Wall. You probably remember the epic line “I am not questioning your integrity, I am denying its existence”

101. Hexonx
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    patchface,

Can someone remind me where we saw Jaros Slynt? Kings Landing?? Bad person???
    IVE watched the show 4 times now
    Ugh i hate when i forget things. EVERYTHIng is important

He was the one Tyrion sent to the NW. He was commander of the city watch for Kings Landing. He betrayed Ned and Tyrion was like I don’t want a guy that has a history of betraying Hands around. One of my favorite lines: “I am not questioning your honor I am denying its existence.” ~ Tyrion to Janos Slynt

edit: Ninja’d above

102. Liz
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Strong first episode. Loved Oberyn’s introduction, and the way they showed his true motives. And they showed that he truly is a dangerous man – here’s to hoping we get more interactions with him and the royal family!

New Daario is less smarmy than old Daario, I guess that’s sort of a good thing since we can actually see him as Dany’s “paramour”. But book Daario was full of it as well, so still can’t decide on him.

Liked the exchange between Olenna, Brienne and Margaery! Was a little annoyed by the way Jaime was willing to forsake yet another vow because “convenience”. Oh yeah, he says Sansa is safe in KL, but One True Knight (TM) Brienne isn’t buying it and neither am I.

103. maester brau
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Janos Slynt was the commander of the Gold Cloaks in King’s Landing who screwed Ned in S1 and got shipped up to the wall by Tyrion in S2.

104. adense
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I’ve been wondering ever since Season 1..
    Where are all the Baratheon soldiers in King’s Landing?

105. Johan Sporre
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Great recap Oz!
    Since there’s no regular recap, I’d just like to say that I thought this was a top-notch episode. There were lots of minor things to love – like Oberyn’s mention of Rhaegar (and Lyanna), Sansa’s immediate reaction when Jaime and Brienne can’t see her anymore, Slynt and Thorne being back, the Omar reference, and the opening scene with Ice.

106. Strider
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,
    LOL! My opinion of this Unsullied increased tremendously the more comments I see, and this is only the second time I read Unsullied pieces; I used to bypass them so I won’t be tempted to spoil!

Is quite amazing to be putting yourself out there and take all these repetitive though well meant corrections comments in stride. A very cool contributor. I like him.

107. TOIVA
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Nice episode. Better on rewatch.

But I’m not sold on the new Daario. Might be me disliking recastings, but his scenes felt out of place. Actually, both the scene with Grey Worm and the one with flowers (noticed Dany’s expression there?) reminded me of little children playing in the kindergarten, or at best a telenovela.

Then I still somehow don’t like Gwendoline’s acting (still haven’t really found out why).

But that’s all the nitpicks I got.

Btw. which of the two swords do you think Jaime got? The smaller or the larger one? And does Tywin keep the other one? (Given Jaime’s remark, Tywin would probably want to keep it.)

108. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

adense: I’ve been wondering ever since Season 1..Where are all the Baratheon soldiers in King’s Landing?Robert had a bunch of them with him to Winterfell, but I haven’t seen them ever since.Wouldn’t the head of House Baratheon keep a large force of his own soldiers in the capital?

This is just me speculating, but I don’t think there were ever a lot of Baratheon men in KL, as it seems to have always been mostly Lannister men in KL and around Robert. I think a lot of the Baratheon men were following Renly and are now following Stannis/are dead after Blackwater.

109. Gosensgo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Strider,

LOL!! they are good reads

thanks all on Janos Slynt info

110. Blind Beth
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

“And if you ever hear a little girl say that she would kill to have her own pony, may you always think about the end of this episode.”

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Awesome.

111. Tar Kidho
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Oz, great recap as always!

To answer your question(s): the highlight for me was dafinitely the Red Viper – Pedro is the perfect casting (all hail Nina Gold!) and I loved every scene he was in. The low point for me was Daario v.2 – not that the actor is bad, far from it, but the change in appearance is so great that it needed more of an introduction than just some generic scene serving only to speak his name a couple of times… To end on a positive: the little blow of Dany’s hair and dress when the dragon took off was a great show of attention to detail!

112. UtherGreenShirt
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

new D has been given enough time to show his Tactics yet. ole D was poorly acted and OTT. All we have seen is achange in tactic to get to the Lady.

113. Moonhippo
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I kinda feel some foreshadowing on this line – how great would it be if later on we get Slynt running away while yelling “oh crap it’s a giant??!”.

114. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Great job as always Oz. And now the wait begins :(

115. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I love the “a girl that would kill for a pony thing”, Oz. You get a full stack of cookies for that.

116. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

jentario,

LOL. Thanks Jent. I happily accept cookies, as long as they are not those straight sugar cookies everybody makes at the Holidays.

117. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

It’s quite alright… Alas, it is part of the gig. A man does make mistakes as I am truly Unsullied and information via television can be misconstrued at times.

The Loras deal was just a bad assumption on my part. Aliser did say that he was acting commander, but he IS the current Lord Commander and considering what they are about to be facing, I doubt very seriously they are concerned with picking the permanent replacement for the old Bear.

But of course, I could be wrong and I probably am. It’s all good, as long as you guys enjoyed the recap!

Great to have you back by the way.

118. Ghost
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

It’s ridiculous that after 3 seasons people that have read the books still come in these threads and talk about book spoilers. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s a spoiler or not, the unsullied have made it quite clear that they don’t want to hear any of the book shit. I seriously can’t understand how some people can’t get that through their heads.

Back on topic, I’m glad the unsullied have finally gotten to experience the awesomeness that is Oberyn Martell.

119. Matthew Meunier
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

They are very rare. There are only about 12 in Westeros. Jon’s sword, Longclaw, was the ancestral sword of House Mormont. That’s why it was a big deal that Mormont gave it to Jon, they are extremely rare.

120. Ross
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I didn’t realise they did the “previously on Game of Thrones…” thing in the US. I don’t think I’d like that at all I must say as it’s a clear signpost as to where the episode is going. Doesn’t it also seem a bit patronising? Like you can’t be trusted to remember what’s happened before?

121. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Ross,

Well, who the fuck remembers Dontos and Polliver? It has been almost a year since season 3, and not everyone is a superfan like us. This helps casual viewers a lot.

122. Udi
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Strepsi,

Funny, I also had a problem with the costumes this episode, which is a first. Jaime and Brienne, leaning on the wall and eavesdropping on poor Sansa. They looked like tourists with their hairdo’s and clothes. Was kind of strange and awkward.

123. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Where are the mods?! There should be a “report” button…

124. Ross
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Ross,

Well maybe, but I used to hate it on 24 (where everyone was unsullied) and personally I’d rather be in the dark for a while about a character than be signposted in that way right before an episode.

125. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Ross,

I do understand that (in the midseason it can be tedious) but sometimes I think it’s necessary. Now, for instance. I feel like my parents lost a lot because my TV provider didn’t include the recap (there is no way they remembered Lommy and Polliver’s words to him, understood that was Ice being melted down or remembered that Dontos even existed). And on top of all of that I wasn’t a very good Sullied today, I should have explained more stuff. This removes a lot of impact…

Also, fun fact, my mother kind of hated Oberyn. She thinks he’s a crazy, evil pervert. I stressed that he is only a crazy pervert.

126. Chickenduck
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Love the recap Oz! I’ve read the books, but wife and most of my friends are unsullied.

Interesting to compare all of y’all’s predictions. Some book readers don’t give unsullied enough credit for their intelligence.

My 2c on the New Daario vs Old Daario debate – Michiel Huisman’s Valyrian lines sounded awesome (chucked in a few Dutch g’s and stuff). I can’t imagine Old Daario doing that.

127. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

In case this hasn’t been stated clearly enough, let me say it again:

Do not talk about the books in Oz’s posts. At all.

Your post will be deleted. Book readers have every single other post on this blog to post in; do not use this one to chat about the books, including history of Westeros that you may think is harmless.

If something has not been stated on the show, it should NOT be stated in these comment threads.

Readers should keep their comments to an absolute minimum in these posts, and not hint in any way that Unsullied’s predictions may or may not be accurate.

128. jentario
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Hopefully Oz didn’t catch the spoiler…

129. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I did not! Thank you for the warning Jent, and thank you Fury for taking care of it.

130. Currawong
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

patchface:

I wouldn’t say that being disowned means he is getting away with it.But I think the show writers screwed up in that scene.It was supposed to have a similar impact to the scene where Tywin and Tyrion argue in season 3.I think they were intending to make the scene more powerful but the director did a really bad job (I think the episode was directed by Weiss or whatever his name is and he clearly has no experience directing).

One of the reasons I enjoyed the scene was precisely because it was low key and subtle. If you think back to Season 3, it was such a complete contrast to Tywin’s scenes with Cersei and Tyrion, where he put them in their places in no uncertain terms. They got angry and demanding, but Tywin eats that sort of thing on the run between meetings. I don’t think Tywin expected one-hand Jaime to refuse Casterly Rock and the family wealth, and I certainly don’t think he expected Jaime to say No in such a calm and collected manner. Or for Jaime to see the sword as the bribe which Tywin clearly intended it to be – ‘I give you this nice Valerian steel sword, and you will now be a good little boy and go home, marry and sire lots of little Lannisters.’ ‘No Dad – I won’t.’ Interesting times ahead for the Lannisters!

131. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I’m probably just still on my GOT high, but there wasn’t anything in the show I didn’t like.

The melting down of Ice set to “Rains of Castamer? Eff you, Pawpaw. (On a side note the transition from Rains directly into the opening credits made me jump up and fist pump a little bit.)

Bronners continues his streak of best one liners in the show. “Two weeks of bad road? I’d go to sleep- But I’m old.” HAHA. Me too.

Oberyn is a bad ass mudda who don’t take no crap off of NOBODY. The end. The framing of the shot when Tyrion walked into the brothel and the fountain of blood from the Lannister soldier’s wrist was in the foreground was just awesome. I laughed out loud.

Loved the backstory of Elia and the Targaryen kiddos, Gods rest their souls.

Sansa made me want to cry. Not even a lemon cake?

Jaime half ass waving his golden prosthetic as Qyburn left the room is begging for a GIF. Oh and Cersei is, as ever, a biotch.

I LOVED the look on Polliver’s face as he realized who Arya was. I know some people are disturbed by a young girls transformation into a killer, but she deserved that kill. Her face as she rode on the pony at the end was the happiest I’ve seen her since her lessons with Syrio. Get it, girl.

OZ, as ever, loved the recap. See you next week.

132. Amanda M
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I don’t appreciate my previous comment being deleted on this post (I just did a “search” to see if anyone had commented on/replied to it, and saw that it’s now gone). I said NOTHING that spoiled anything. All I said was that something that happened on the show ALSO happened in the books. I didn’t give any sort of new information. I don’t understand what I did wrong. I was trying to help by pointing out a detail that I think Oz missed in the dialogue of the episode. It was something that happened in the episode, and was not revealing anything that hadn’t happened yet.

I guess even saying the word “book” is enough to get your comment deleted. (So this will probably be deleted too. Whoops).

133. Dominique
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

Don’t you understand that’s the point? Confirming stuff from the books gives information to unsullied in the importance book readers give the information, and by the confirmation. The beauty of unsullied speculation is wondering what’s the deal only from the show and how it does the job of conveying the story’s subtlety. Just let them play and enjoy the great show their discussion gives us!

134. Berndlmeister
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Isn’t Arya’s sword, Needle, made from Valyrian steel?

135. Gatorfisch
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

“I think the addition of the character Oberyn Martell is excellent. I was intrigued every minute he was on screen. I don’t know how his character is portrayed in the book, but I thought that the casting decision of Pedro Pascal could not have been better and I can’t wait to see what the guy does next.”

Oz,
    This Sullied could not agree more! The only thing I’ve been looking as forward to are to see how they show Braavos and Mark Gatiss as the banker. (And that’s just because I’m also a big Sherlock fan.)

136. Gatorfisch
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Berndlmeister:
    Isn’t Arya’s sword, Needle, made from Valyrian steel?

No. It was forged out of regular steel by the Winterfell Blacksmith, at Jon’s request for Arya.

137. NymArya Stark
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Berndlmeister,

Nah, just a small sword Jon had the Winterfell blacksmith Mikken make for Arya as a goodbye present.

138. Amanda M
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Dominique,

I guess I just don’t understand what was so bad about what I said. I was trying to help clarify something that wasn’t conveyed very clearly in the episode, and made the comment that it was conveyed better in the book. I figured it was an innocent comparison, and assumed most unsullied viewers are aware that most of what they’re seeing happens in the books too.

Oh well. I’ve learned my lesson and won’t post any comments on unsullied posts in the future (even if I’m trying to help clarify). If things aren’t conveyed well on the show, the unsullied can figure things out on their own haha

139. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Amanda M: The commenter “patchface” actually made a comment that was pretty much exactly the same as mine (regarding Jaime being disowned by Tywin). I don’t see why their post was left in the comments and mine was deleted.

140. patchface
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Thanks for pointing that out, Amanda! I went ahead and deleted his posts, too. :)

What the hell? Why was my post deleted? There were no spoilers whatsoever. :(

141. Amanda M
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

patchface,

Same! Sorry that happened! I didn’t intend for your posts to get wrongly deleted too — I was trying to reiterate my point of why my post *shouldn’t* have been (I don’t know if you saw my post, but we said basically the same thing). Not my intention, I’m sorry! :(

142. Braincandy
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I know I’m in the minority but I was not in love with the Red Viper. For me Pedro’s RV swagger and passion were forced. Maybe he’ll grow on me.

143. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,
    patchface,

Book-reader commenters are not supposed to be commenting extensively in these Unsullied posts. When Sullied posters speak at length, confirming/denying and offering insight into a character’s (like Tywin) motivations with their book knowledge and about things the character hasn’t actually discussed aloud on the show, it’s not okay to do that.

Do not discuss the books at all, and Sullied readers need to keep their comments to a minimum. Ideally they should keep their conversation in other threads. It’s not much to ask that Sullied people allow the Unsullied just one place where they don’t have to worry about accidentally being given too much information because someone didn’t realize what they were doing. Please be considerate of others.

144. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

Don’t go! A man will miss you!

The Sullied are always invited to these posts (I actually love Sullied input). But we try to stay away from even mentioning anything book related because it typically veers off into spoilery territory with comments down the line.

I don’t think you posted anything that could be considered a spoiler (at least, I hope not). But Fury and the other mods are simply trying to avoid Unsullied threads morphing into a book discussion, regardless of good intentions.

I may have explained this quite poorly, so Fury may want to chime. But don’t go… Who will make fun of me? :)

Edit: She already did!

145. Amanda M
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:
    Amanda M,

Don’t go!A man will miss you!

Edit: She already did!

Thanks Oz, I appreciate your kind and rational response :) As I’d mentioned in my deleted comment, I really do enjoy reading your recaps! I’m glad they’re back. Enjoy the rest of the season! It’s shaping up to be a good one already.

(As for my deleted comment, I was just pointing out a subtle line of dialogue that it seemed wasn’t conveyed very well in the episode, and in your recap it sounded that way too, so I was just clarifying. Hopefully that event from episode one will be referenced more clearly in a later episode to help clear things up. I won’t say any more!)

146. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Sorry that the sullieds are being naughty.

Apparently there is a spoiler in every book reader and it stirs when you put a keyboard in his hand :(

147. I Know Of Fear
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

My favorite line from the episode? “A man has to have a code” to which I can only say “oh indeed, Hound, indeed.”

As someone who had no idea Ned’s executioners sword was made of special steel, I still recognized that huge slab of metal when it was being melted down and was pissed to see yet another symbol of house Stark destroyed as of they were extinct already.

This Martell guy is straight to the point, and that could be a problem if he meets the Spyder or Littlefinger before he learns to play the game. But I imagine his bluntness will make for hilariously awesome conflict with the Lannisters and anybody else worried about keeping up appearances when they get political.

And finally, those Free Folk really are wild. Cannibalism is not something I expected from people discussing plentiful food. It seems there is more variety to wildling culture than the Crows would have us believe, and if the raiding parties are too divided they might fall. At least they were smart enough to not put all their wargs in one basket.

148. I Know Of Fear
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, I forgot to ask you Oz: what do you think about Jamie’s new hand? The gold work is awesome but I was hoping it would be open palmed so he could slap Joffrey with it. His son certainly needs a wake up call about respecting his elders.

149. Macdaley
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Sullied through and through. But no spoilery here. I think a second viewing is in order for most, as there is just so much to take in. I loved the fact that at one point in the KL garden scenes, there is a statue in the background. You’ll see it. It’s that kind of detail, and subtlety that really brings sullied and unsullied together. I’m glad to read this post and see it through your eyes, but I’m also happy to see the subtle nods and winks to readers throughout each episode. As my wife is unsullied, I don’t point these things out but rather take them as my own small victory and enjoyment for reading the books.

As far as quotes go, I think the Hound and Bronn are on equal footing. I give the edge to the Hound for “A man must have a code”.

Keep up the awesome job Oz!

150. Kristine
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 3:42 am | Permalink

My one and only gripe – why didn’t Sam immediately tell Jon about running into his two half brothers and the fact that he guided them through the Wall?

Otherwise , loved it.

151. Lou Reed
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Sam’s father Randyll Tarly also has a Valyrian steel sword.

And we know also of the Valyrian Steel dagger, that was used in the assassination attempt on Bran in episode 2 of season 1.

152. Kael of the Lake
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Thank you Oz for your great recap. I always enjoy your forecasting whether you’re spot on or not. Sullied here so I’ll keep it very simple.

I’ve counted the characters we missed since the last season, among them, the company of Bran, Stannis & cohorts, the Ironborn, the Boltons, the Brotherhood, Varys & Lf, some less significant characters but still in the game, making the list even bigger. So I was thinking that if HBO wanted to present everyone in the season’s beginning they would probably need two episodes in the row, maybe more.
    So I’m considering the next episode as the 2nd half of the opening and that makes my appetite grow. (More work for you?)
    Keep doing what you do best.

Gosensgo,
    I can’t think of a way the following can be a spoiler but I respect the directive about book knowledge and I’ll take precautions.
    I think most Valyrian swords are already mentioned. In the scene where Joffrey was looking at the huge book of the Kingsguard commanders, he mentions Sir Arthur Dayne – “The sword of the morning” who is the owner of a famous Valyrian sword called Dawn. That must be the last one.

153. Gosensgo
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

you as well :)

154. Gosensgo
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

LOL LOVE that

155. Gosensgo
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Kael of the Lake,

Thanks Lou. I wont read what’s veiled just in case… but I see where the swords are, and ill listen more intently during my rewatch of 401

156. Needle in the throat
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Why was Red viper so annoyed at the singing Lannister soldiers.
    I’m guessing it’s just because he does not like Lannister’s in general due to history, but confirmation would be splendid.

157. Pau Soriano
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Needle in the throat:
    Why was Red viper so annoyed at the singing Lannister soldiers.

Yeah, as The Red Viper (Oberyn Martell) explains during the episode, Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane (The Houn’ds big brother) raped and killed his sister Elia (and also murdered her children) at the orders of Tywin Lannister :)

158. Pau Soriano
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Kael of the Lake,

You can read what’s veiled, no problem…makes mention of another sword that was owned by ser Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning, who is mentioned by Joffrey in the episode…but that it’s not made of Valyrian Steel like Kael says but from the metal of a fallen star, and that it’s supposed to be as sharp.

EDIT: The sword is called Dawn, the Sword of the Morning is ser Arthur Dayne’s nickname ;)

159. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

I liked it, although it looked very heavy and cumbersome. I guess valyrian plastic prosthetics are not easy to come by in Westeros.

But it could come in handy for blocking sword swipes. But as you said, not very good for slapping King Crossbow. Maybe better for whacking him on top of the head.

160. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Kael of the Lake,

Many thanks, Kael. There were a lot of missing characters, but there always are. There is no way they can meaningly fit them all in 58 minutes or so.

I think that is a great way to look at it… Part 2 of the Season premiere. And yes, I will take more any day of the week. Lysa and Robin better be in Ep. 2, or there will be hell to pay. #breastfeedingboysunite

161. Jen@House Stark
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Oz, that is a sweet article, really enjoyed it. You rock, it is known :smile:

162. Blackeyedlily
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Remember that Ser Allister is merely Acting Lord Commander.

163. grumpycetacean
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Ugh, you guys, I caved and read the books…was just going to do the first one…but, you know. I’m sad I’m not unsullied anymore but schoolwork has pushed out most of the plot and details so this ep was still kind of a surprise. But I just had to post to say the new Daario is so, so disappointing. I mean. Really disappointing. I just cannot

Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:18 am | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

OMG… why are you still explaining book content in this unsullied thread? How do you not get it, your explanation is not welcome here. How is that difficult to understand?

165. Lisa Y.
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:49 am | Permalink

I don’t have any more to add to the comments above, but I do have a few questions; did anyone else catch Qyburn talking to Cersei about her “symptoms”? Now what are these symptoms, which Jaime also asked about? Is she suffering from some sort of “sickness”? Could they be contributing to Cersei’s really, really bad attitude towards Jaime? The Queen has a secret she won’t even tell Jaime about, and I can’t wait to find out what it is.

166. Dany's One-Eyed Dragon
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Lisa Y.,

Interesting point — could she be with child?!?! Personally, I thought Cersei was suggesting that he had helped cure her of a bad case of the… uhm… “flea bottoms!” ;-)

I enjoyed the pace of the episode a lot, and would have really enjoyed the bad dragon scene more if HBO didn’t include the spoiler of that scene in the promo clip. Note to HBO: everyone who is going to watch GOT is watching it and hooked; no one’s thinking “I wonder what’s going to be on this week’s episode, maybe I’ll watch it if the dragons are in this episode otherwise I’ll just skip it and catch the next one.”

I wish Ours is the Fury could go over to HBO studios to quash unnecessary and excessive promo clips that give a readers digest version of the entire episode!

Glad to have Thones and your recaps back again Oz!

167. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Lisa Y.,

I intended to mention this also. Intriguing to say the least. If she is with child as
    Dany’s One-Eyed Dragon mentioned, Jaime may just lose it altogether.

Wait, would that mean Lancel is the father? Oh hell.

168. Young Griff
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Janos Slynt was commander of the city watch in Kings Landing. When Tyrion is hand of the king he exiles him to the Nights Watch for his part in the massacre of Robert Baratheons children.

169. Cryance Chirsten
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

http://gameofthroneseason.blogspot.com/2014/03/chapter-1-two-swords.html , the first chapter is recorded live in HBO . Click to view details.

170. The Dragon Demands
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    The Dragon Demands,

He asked a question and I gave a non-spoiler answer about Dorne’s backstory…and by pointing out “a brief scene in Season 1 tried to explain this”.

171. Greg
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Hey that was Joseph Gatt playing the Thenn Warg with the owl on his shoulder! Yay cool awesome fine great yea sweet tubular cunt!

172. Greg
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Ghost,

Wow you just spoiled that Oberyn possesses awesomeness. How do we know after 1 episode? Maybe he was under the influence of some drug so he was acting awesome, and the rest of the season he will be back to his normal bland self. Thanks for being a spoiler.

173. Greg
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

The show is different than the book. So the only thing that matters when it comes to conveying is how the show conveys it. Stop ruining the website