Inside the Episode: Two Swords
By Lightbringer on in Media.

In our first ‘Inside the Episode’ video of the year, David and Dan discuss the significance of Tywin Lannister melting down Ice, a cherished Stark heirloom. They also draw comparisons between Tyrion and Oberyn Martell, and explain a transformed Arya as the instrument of Stark vengeance in Westeros. Two Swords begins with the loss of one Stark sword and ends with the recovery of another.

We are also treated to three shorter behind the scenes videos about Jaime’s new hand, and the reforging of Ice.

Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau talk about Cersei’s motivations in gifting Jaime with a golden hand, and Jaime’s headspace as he returns to King’s Landing.

Costume Designer Michelle Clapton explains the process of creating Jaime’s new hand, and we see the mechanics of how Nikolaj puts it on and takes it off.

George R.R. Martin on the scarcity and quality of Valyrian steel, and how Ice ended up in Tywin Lannister’s hands.

Two Swords has also been unlocked to explore in HBO’s Game of Thrones Viewer’s Guide.

1. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I love the contrast of swords in the opening and ending scenes. The Starks have lost that great pride, perhaps, but theirs is a needle’s game now, and in this age of Westeros that may be for the best.

2. Rygar
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

So Two Swords didnt mean Oberyn and that Swedish looking fellow?

3. DeadAntelope
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Rygar:
    So Two Swords didnt mean Oberyn and that Swedish looking fellow?

You mean the male prostitute? Haha.

4. Crozyr
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Maybe it wasn’t their intention, but for me the melting of the sword was also a way to connect the themes of “Ice” and “Fire”.

5. Ross
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

When they say “one of only two remaining Stark swords in the world”, what is the other one they are referring to? Jon has a House Mormont sword…

6. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Ross,

I think they’re talking about Needle, actually.They had talked about how it was significant that the episode began with them melting down Ice but ended with Arya reclaiming Needle.

7. Ross
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Ross,

Weiss refers to needle as “one of the two Stark swords left in the world” – I’m just wondering what the other one is (I assume they don’t mean Ice as that is now history)

8. Leo
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Well not only did I think “Two Swords” was a lame title, I now think it’s a lazy title. Surely there was a better adjective for the symbolic meaning of the swords than just how many there were. Oh well. I like “The Lion and The Rose.”

9. Ser Tahu
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Ross,
    Longclaw? I guess that could be counted as a Stark sword now.

10. Roey Wullman
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Leo,

Well it’s a proper title IMO – it begins with one sword being melted down, which symbolizes the downfall of house Stark, and ends with the return of Needle, and the return of house Stark, in a way.

11. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Crozyr,

Heh, too true.

12. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Ross,

Oh presently left, yeah he probably just means Longclaw. It’s a Stark sword now, basically being Jon’s.

13. Ross
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Ross,

Thanks – yeah I guess they do mean Longclaw. It does have the wolf pummel now after all. I just didn’t see it as a Stark family sword, rather a Mormont one.

14. sati
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Anyone knows where that image is from? It looks like new footage http://31.media.tumblr.com/f2bbfdf63d390924e84b9a93d1d393e6/tumblr_n3p3pgxXGm1qjzqufo1_500.jpg

15. Ashara D
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

sati,

Looks like Team Stannis entering Braavos. Davos is looking up at the Titan.

16. sati
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Ashara D,

I know what the scene is :) What I’m asking is which video is it from. There’s also a screencap of Mel in the bath.

17. Peter
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Ross,

Ice and Needle

18. King DBC
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Check out this behind the scenes video, some amazing shots of Meereen! It might be a little too spoilery though… http://youtu.be/jf6oDup2VGA

19. Patchy Face
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Does anyone know if Interactive features are over on HBO Go viewings now? I’m not seeing it.

20. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

There was a video up yesterday on HBOGo with previews of the coming season, I think that’s where the Stannis-Davis image came from, and it has the Melisandre-bath shot. I’m not sure it’s still up today; I saw someone mention that it was gone, but I haven’t checked yet to see if that’s true.

And yeah, I think the HBOGo sidebar extras are gone. The little videos, there are a couple on HBO’s youtube now though. So I guess they aren’t 100% gone.

21. trarecar
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

King DBC,

Awesome vid, thank you!

22. Patchy Face
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,
    Thanks Fury – Guess we will just have to depend on wic.net for pointing out extra content!

23. sati
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

God the whole HBO Go thing is just awful this year. Between the service crashing and constant uploading/taking down of footage they are acting like a bunch of amateurs.

24. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I think the season preview video will air after episode 2 because it basically would have spoiled what happens to Joffrey if they aired it after the premier.

25. Greenjones
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

sati,
    Ours is the Fury,

Did either of you two ladies-who-tweet notice Brian Fortune’s return to GoT in “Two Swords” as Bowen Marsh/background extra who helped Aemon down the stairs. He had short hair and a stache but it was him, check the end credits. Mayhaps one of you could tweet him about what else we’ll see of him this year and next year, hehehehehehehe! That is if he indeed is meant to be book Bowen.

Also, Mel in the bath. To quote Theon to Tyrion in ep 104, “Must`ve been a pretty sight!“

26. Greenjones
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

sati,

I found the Mel screencap on your tumblr. R’hollor is she sexy!

27. Susie-Q
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

“Two swords” meaning the loss of Ice and the finding of Needle and NOT the two swords forged for Jamie and Joffrey……..Brilliant!

28. King Tommen
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    sati,
    Ours is the Fury,

Also, Mel in the bath. To quote Theon to Tyrion in ep 104,“Must`ve been a pretty sight!“

Someone tweeted at Brian Cogman after the episode mentioning the Bowen Marsh cameo and he responded like he didn’t know what they were talking about. After clarifying that it was Brian Fortune who appeared Cogman simply said “Keep watching”.

Not sure exactly how to take that but they don’t seem to be acknowledging that Fortune is anything more than an extra at this point.

29. Hexonx
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I guess technically Longclaw wouldn’t be a Stark sword as Jon is not a recognized Stark. It would belong to House Snow now (if that is even a thing). If you think of how rare Valyrian Steel swords are and that most of them belong to great houses it make you realize what a ridiculously awesome gift Longclaw was for a bastard.

Anyway I think he meant Ice and Needle and maybe it was just the way the clip was edited.

30. Grijnwaald
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Not the *point of the post but I’ll say it anyway:

I don’t know if this had been said already but while I can see how cool the scene looked when the molten metal was being poured into the mould, it’s not how these swords work.

GRRM says that Valyrian Steel is pattern welded (the metal is beaten and folded hundreds of times, giving swirling pattern and extra strength) and this can not be achieved by simply pouring it into a mould which would make the sword rather weak in comparison to other swords.

Anyone else? Probably not :/

*get it?

31. Greenjones
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:36 am | Permalink

King Tommen,

Here’s that interaction, cool find. Thank you.

I assume he’s more than an extra because he had a few lines in season 1 and why else bring him back?

32. Hexonx
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

I don’t know a lot about sword making but I did find it odd that supposedly only 3 people know how to “re-forge” Valyrian steel yet all he did was melt it down and re-pour it.

33. WildSeed
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

It’s been ranted about already, but the point is well taken. Impressive scene if lacking in accuracy.

34. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Hexonx:
    …House Snow….

House Snow…the excellent house of Jon and Ramsay.

Regarding Mormont giving Jon the sword Longclaw….he knew something…like he knew about Craster’s sacrifices. I bet Benjen told him about Jon’s ma & pa.

35. King Tommen
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Greenjones:
    King Tommen,

Here’s that interaction, cool find. Thank you.

I’d probably think the same thing but it was weird that Cogman wouldn’t acknowledge it.

If they eventually give Marsh the role he has in the books, that’s a lot of responsibility to put on an actor like Fortune who I don’t think was meant to be anything more than a featured extra in S1 (remember that ADwD wasn’t even written when they were putting together S1 so they didn’t really cast for Marsh with an eye to him being important down the road).

My guess is that they brought him back to be a background somewhat familiar face (I don’t think the name “Bowen Marsh” has even been uttered on the show to this point). But they’re going to give the “Bowen Marsh” actions on another more recognizable character or new face in S5.

I have no idea what the plan is with Locke being at the Wall so him being moved into that position might make sense.

36. WildSeed
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 1:07 am | Permalink
  37. Greenjones
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 1:12 am | Permalink

King Tommen,

Aemon said Bowen Marsh when he was addressing the new stewards in S1. “Report to Bowen Marsh in the kitchens.” It wasn’t made clear that that was him.

I think whoever fills the role of Bowen in the “daggers in the dark” scenario has to be an old school Night’s Watchman rather than a treacherous person like Locke. Rather than just a garden variety betrayal, it works better if it is arguably a response to Jon’s “betrayal”.