Rory McCann on The Hound, too much ale, and two killers riding off into the sunset
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

rory1Without a doubt, The Hound started off Season 4 with a bang. Working his way into our hearts with some of the best one liners the show has seen, and serving up brutality to those most deserving. Rory McCann tells Rolling Stone, that he was definitely feeling the love from the crowd at Season 4’s New York Premiere.

“That reaction! You’re wondering if the comedy worked, or the tension, but then you could feel the crowd respond. Bear in mind, this is made for people watching it in their living rooms, but there was a packed-out cinema; they were howling and shouting and screaming. Some of the lines they’ve given the Hound this year are incredible.”

Rory is surely happy to know that all of his hard work has payed off. And it was hard. Drinking countless liters of ale on command can be more than a little taxing, on Rory and the new set assistant alike.

“When I had to drink in that tavern scene, that’s David and Dan going “Give him another beer! Fill it right up to the top! Can you down another?” I was really fit at the time, wasn’t drinking, working out, there was definitely no sugar in my body — and suddenly I had six or seven liters of flat ginger beer that day. I had to go off into the woods to make myself sick. They had this new helper, I didn’t know who he was, and they told him ‘We’ve lost the Hound! We’ve lost the Hound!’  I’m on my hands and knees with my fingers down my throat trying to get this bloody soda out of me. He came up like, ‘Are you — ‘  [growls] ‘FUCK OFF!’ [Laughs] He ran away into the woods. [high-pitched, scared helper voice] ‘He told me to fuck off!’”

Rory also reveals that it’s easier getting into character than you might think.

I’m the first guy on set because of this fucking make-up. So I’m getting done for three hours, then I’m getting my breakfast, and I’ve been up for six hours before there’s even a suggestion of getting on set. I end up this big fucking grumpy bastard most of the time. ‘Kill that guy? Sure.’ [Laughs] It’s very easy to be the Hound.

And if you’re wondering what the script said for the very last scene, as Arya and The Hound ride away with smirks intact:

“The script just said ‘Two killers ride off into the sunset.’ Yeah!”

For more of Rory’s interview visit Rolling Stone.

1. Patchy Face
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Hound or

2. Josla
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Cool interview! Love these two

3. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I really want to be BFFs with Rory.

4. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

And if you’re wondering what the script said for the very last scene

We’re not. D&D are hack writers and the less we hear of their script the better.

(Am I doing it right?)

5. GeekFurious
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Ever see that interview he did at some college or something a season or two ago? He’s so funny.

6. Sword of the Morning
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

The Hound’s scenes last season and this opening episode makes me very excited to see how his story plays out. They’ve done a terrific job writing his dialogue

7. House Mormont
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Rory McCann is so fucking funny

“he told me to fuck off!”

8. ATG
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Haha, such a sweet interview ^^ Rory and the Hound are awesome

9. chamush
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

The hound for president!

10. amplifyme
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I just love Rory! He didn’t start out as my head canon Sandor Clegane (book reader first) but he certainly has replaced what was there to begin with. And it’s always nice when your favorite character is being played by someone who seems to be a genuinely good guy who’s grateful for the break he caught with GoT.

This is a fabulous interview! Well worth reading.

11. Mimsy
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I hope Rory gets some sweet gigs from GOT exposure. He truly is amazing in this role. Love him!

12. WildSeed
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Sword of the Morning,

This is a great interview, and I agree with you, the Hound is en pointe this season. I hope the better script and scenes continue because Rory has definitely risen to the occasion.

BTW, there’s toilet advert at the top of the page and above the WiC sign. Really !

13. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t have been better casting for this role…

Some folks in a prev thread were speculating that the Hound & Arya would end up in or near the Vale, where he would get his grievous wound during a mountain clan skirmish. Does anyone think that Arya is going to leave him there to die, gallop away to Saltpans, while he disappears into the Vale mist? …Only to reappear a season or two later, healed and nearer Sansa, just when she needs help. For some reason, I think the Hound functions better around a Stark (and vice-versa). Crackpot? (some of this has floated around Westeros)

14. Jacob_M
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

My audition was a scene of the Hound describing to Sansa how he got his burned face. It happens in the book, and they were gonna film it in the first episode: “Look at me — this is the reason I am the way I am.” Then they decided not to do it. David pushed Dan into my trailer, and I was like,“Why are you pushing the wee guy in? You got something to say?

As a rule (a very strict rule), if I happen to run into famous people, I pretend not to know who they are to and respect their privacy – I don’t know if I could abide that rule with Rory. I want to be his friend and hang out with him at the pub so bad! Of course, as much fun as he seems to be, he also seems to like to be a bit scary…I seem to remember reading some early interview with him where he tells of picking up two hitch-hikers where he retells of them seeming scared to death of him. The bit quoted above seems to support that. And his audition-video on youtube for his part in GOT certainly had me jumping in my chair at one point.

15. KG
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Not keen on his forcing himself to puke stuff up. Not a great example to set in our overly-body conscious society.

16. KG
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Jacob_M,

I nod and smile at them, then go away.

17. Ashara D
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.I really want to be BFFs with Rory.

THIS^^ What a dude!

Sword of the Morning,

Greetings, kinsman! Love your avatar. Kudos on the mention in ep 1.

18. sjwenings
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

“He looks at me, and I go [booming voice] “Hello! I’m the Hound!”"

I lol’ed. Funny how this interview is both funny and a bit scary, just like the Hound looks to be this season.

19. Assunta
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

My favorite character played perfectly by Mr. McCann.

As crazy as it sounds, I am paranoid that the Hound will have these great scenes and killer lines this season so that everyone will love him (even more). And then he will DIE. Not like, fake maybe-he-is-and-maybe-he-isn’t mostly dead, but really, really dead. Like Robb-dead. That’s just being paranoid, right? RIGHT???

20. loco73
    Posted April 10, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Wow the new site looks like someone farted their brains out and shit their pants at the same time…but anyways…Rory is the man! Great actor, one of the stalwarts of this show and his chemistry with Maisie is pure tv gold!

21. Craig
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

KG,

Gosh, you’re right, all the youth in our world who on a daily basis are drinking 7 liters of soda within a few hours are going to start mimicking him and doing the same thing!

22. Dammit Patrice
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 12:10 am | Permalink

KG,

Please. Im begin you. SHUT THE F*CK UP!

23. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Craig,

Because binging-and-purging isn’t a real thing, right? You’re an idiot.

24. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Dammit Patrice,

Make me, tough guy! :D

25. barak
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

KG: Craig,
    Because binging-and-purging isn’t a real thing, right? You’re an idiot.

Except what Rory did wasn’t “binging and purging”. Jesus Christ, dude.

26. BlackTalon
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:48 am | Permalink

KG:

Lighten up Francis.

27. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:50 am | Permalink

barak,

Sorry, it was a free country when I woke up this morning. No one told me you were in charge now. Oh wait, you aren’t. Fuck off.

28. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

KG,

In fairness, he didn’t tell you he was in charge, either.

29. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:00 am | Permalink

I wonder if Sandor and Gregor will ever duel to the death. I can has believes.

30. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Okay, time to bring my popcorn in .

31. Ser Dosser
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest:
    Okay, time to bring my popcorn in .

AFFC sucks!

32. cosca
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:41 am | Permalink

KG,

He never said otherwise. You have the right to be an asshole, and you’re clearly exercising it. Don’t expect people to be happy about it though.

33. Harry
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:50 am | Permalink

The Doge Clegane! Such Thirsty! Many ale! All Chicken! Much dead! Wow!

;)

34. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Somehow, that is me being an asshole? Look in the mirror, mon ami. You’re the one with the problem.

If people jump out at me, I’m sure as hell going to defend myself.

cosca:
    KG,

35. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:23 am | Permalink

cosca,

P. S. Telling people to shut up is indeed behaving as if they are in charge. If you’re going to insist on posting so many words, you should really work on that whole “what they actually mean” part.

36. Mhysaforbrownpeeps!
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, bitchy KG getting involved in yet another heated argument! Come on lads, where’re your verbal dogpiles?

Oh yes, Mr. McCann being a class act as always.

37. cosca
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:43 am | Permalink

KG,
    Hmm, let’s see:

barak: “Except what Rory did wasn’t “binging and purging” Jesus Christ, dude.”

Strange, nowhere in here do I see him telling you to shut up. Seems more like he disagreed with you, then indicated that he felt you were over-reacting. In response, you went on about free speech instead of defending your point, then told him to fuck off for some reason. I understand that this whole words thing can be confusing though.

38. Mhysaforbrownpeeps!
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:48 am | Permalink

cosca,

KG mixed up barak and Patrice, irritability tends to cloud judgement….and KG IS ALWAYS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

39. Harry
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:08 am | Permalink

C’mon folks, stop arguing and get over it. Its Friday for gods sake :)
    Otherwise I will have to eat all your chicken ;)

40. Macaronilobster
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Harry,

Finally, a pleasant voice of reason. Give this man a wing!

41. Kathrina Martinsen
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:34 am | Permalink

KG: I’m not sure what I did other than point out that glorifying eating too much and then forcing yourself to puke as something “funny” is not cool. It’s a serious issue and I was perfectly serious when I said I didn’t approve of it.

I didn’t exactly see it as “glorifying”, tbh. I saw it as a guy who hasn’t had a beer in three months who now has a choice: Try to get rid of the stuff in his belly, so that he can keep on acting, or be too drunk to do his job. I’m pretty sure he would have preferred not to have to make that choice.

42. Mhysaforbrownpeeps!
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Kathrina Martinsen,

What alternative interpretation folly is this?!
    MA’AM, YOU ARE HAMPERING KG’S BOLD STAND AGAINST THE NAYSAYERS, AGAINST THE TIDE OF SOCIAL CONFORMITY, AGAINST THE SUPPRESSION OF IDEALS! THE FELLOW HAS A POINT TO PROVE AND WHAT BETTER PLACE TO DO SO THAN ON SOME RANDOM WEBSITE COMMENT SECTION!

43. Veltigar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 5:17 am | Permalink

McCann is a gifted actor. And D&D know how to write for his character. The Houbd really is one of those rare characters who are on a par when you compare book and show.

I’m confident that he won’t die. The only way that happens is if they get rid of the entire Ungregor subplot, and that’s never going to happen. He and Arya will probably get separated (I could see them being seperated by an attack, with the Hound distracting their attackers so she could escape). And the Hound will just walz right up when Jaime is in the neighboorhood

Doug MacRay: I need your help. I can’t tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we’re gonna hurt some people.
    James Coughlin: …Finally, we’re going to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

44. arya_fan
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 5:17 am | Permalink

It’s always nice to read new McCann’s interviews, he’s just so funny. I hope the Hound got as much screen time as possible this year. Oh, I’m gonna miss his character so bad :(

45. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 5:19 am | Permalink

A HOOUUUNDDD!

What a pimp, both on and off the screen.

Assunta,

I think they will find a clever way of including his “resurrection/rebirth” in a later season. No worries. I think he will suffer serious wounds and make Aria leave him. My guess is for Aria it will be less mercy, and more urgency. But it will be a melancholy scene, indeed.

Anybody else having problems with screens not jumping while “reply”-ing??? The new look is cool enough, but navigation sucks on my phone still. And now just kinda sucking on my laptop.

46. BlackTalon
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 5:27 am | Permalink

Why were they making him drink that stuff anyway, at no point does the viewer actually see the inside of the drinking horns. It would have worked with water just as well. Or just pretend drinking, with a thimbleful of beer you can have dribble over the beard picturesquely.

As someone who has currently experienced serious gallbladder shenanigans I can sympathize with Rory … you don’t want anybody bugging you with your finger up your throat …

47. Harry
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 6:37 am | Permalink

BlackTalon:

In the scene, the “ale” was visible through the drinking horn. Also, they needed to do so, to make the drink dropping down on his armor while drinking to give it the right barbaric look.

48. Shock Me
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Wow the site is still looking uglified. But the Hound is a baller!

49. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Yes. I’m from Detroit: Angriest City Anywhere. Grumpycat has nothing on us.

Mhysaforbrownpeeps!:
    cosca,

50. Laurentius
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Somehow this thread became as violent and disturbing as that whole arya/hound scene in the episode. Lucky this wasn’t a thread about Jamie and Cersei or everybody’d be fucking their siblings at this point.

51. Rygar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Anyone know any good Kate Moss jokes?

52. Nope
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

KG,

Real angry people don’t spend their time bitching like little bitches on the internet. It makes you a whinny nerd not a person who knows anything about real rage.

53. Tyrionisthebest
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Rygar,

No, get out !

54. Rygar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Tyrionisthebest:
    Rygar,

No, get out !

Of what, the closet? OK just for you. I admit it. I am a lesbian with an affinity for humor and Paul Stanley’s Chest Hair.

55. Darkstar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Ugg! I don’t like the new site. I miss the old site and WinterPhil.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

However, Rory rules.

56. Aww Hell No
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

KG,

Not with that canuck crimson queef symbol you’re not.

57. Azurecobalt
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Hold on, I only check in here while GoT is on for the most part…

Winterphil is gone? :(

58. Jen@House Stark
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

OMG, Rory makes me hot. Get that kilt off and dance for me :)

59. Spacelike
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

This guy is as awesome as the character he portrays. What a job the casting crew did on this cat.

60. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Laurentius,

I resent that remark ;)

61. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Azurecobalt,

For a fair while now, yes.

62. KG
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Hey there, someone’s alt! Why don’t you grow some balls and post under your real name :)

Nope:
    KG,

63. Ser Low-Res
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:41 am | Permalink

A behind-the-scenes pictures via Reddit from filming the inn scene. You can see Polliver’s armor is red in this picture much better.