Kristian Nairn on the “ridiculous” reaction to his WiC interview, and Game of Thrones Season 4
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

When Kristian Nairn agreed to an interview with Winter Is Coming’s Fire and Blood to promote Season 4 of Game of Thrones, he wasn’t expecting a media frenzy to follow. But when he claimed the gay community as his own, he came out all over again. In a new interview with Gay Times magazine, Kristian reacts to the media’s reaction, teases what we can expect from Hodor and Bran in Season 4, and explains how he relates to his simple, but genuine character.

Kristian on the media reaction:

“It was fucking ridiculous,” laughs Kristian. “It was a real explosion and a bit of a strange experience. I never thought it would go much further than reaching a few fans, and if there were a few gay fans of the show out there it might give them a bit of support.”

Kristian on same-sex marriage:

“I don’t want to get married – but I want my friends, who it’s important to, to be able to get married. And why not?”

He might not want to get married but he knows what he’s looking for:

“I’m definitely a complicated guy when it comes to that kind of stuff,” he laughs. “But I’m old enough now to look back and see patterns in the kind of people I went for. I definitely go for people for the chase – people I could never have! But the minute I get a whiff that something’s actually going to happen, I’m like ‘abort, abort!’ Now, though, I know what I’m looking for. I like someone with a bit of mystery and a spark about them, but also someone who’s pretty creative in their own right and pretty deep.”

Kristian on Game of Thrones season four:

“It’s fucking incredible. Everyone’s really at the top of their game making this show. For Hodor and Bran, in this series you see a bit more of the magic grow that was hinted at the end of series three. You see more of their bond. I love Hodor, though. In the land of Westeros, he’s the only sort of real true and genuine person. He doesn’t have a hidden agenda, he’s very loyal and, you know, he kind of reminds me of my hidden self without any cynicism of the world. He reminds me of a young me – but I’m able to talk!”

To read Kristian’s full interview, you can download the latest issue of Gay Times via their website.

1. The Bastard
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:04 am | Permalink

HODOR!

Who knew he was part of the Brotherhood Without Vajayjays!?!

Great for him being open about it. Every celeb who comes out makes it easier for that younger child to be open to their parents in the future

2. JonTargo
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

What a cute bear.

3. Laurentius
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

I am completely hypnotized by his beard.

4. Turri
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

That little gang north of the Wall sure is a fabulous bunch.

5. Evan
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink
  6. jentario
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Test test test.

EDIT: nope, spoiler tags do not hide spoilers on the mobile version. You just see gray text and the black highlight doesn’t hide it…

7. OldeCrone
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I don’t mind what people do in their own time provided it is not something that is hurting other people or hurting children. This is off-topic and I’m not sure where to post it but it would appear Big Brother (as in the book “1984” not the “reality” TV show) is alive and well and living in London. The link is about a police force who are trying to clamp down on sites that make “Game of “Thrones” and other shows available for download:- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-4-police-crack-down-on-illegal-download-websites-9243649.html

It’s a grey area. More revenue for HBO would mean they could cast more minor characters and do more special effects but times are tough and some people just can’t afford paid-for TV.

8. Arik
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Test test test.

It works fine on my mobile. (Iphone/ipad)….
    just click/touch the ‘hide spoilers’ option on the top of the comments section.

9. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:07 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Test test test.

You’ve probably got the “show me the spoilers” button on, becaus3 it works for me

10. jentario
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Valyrian Eyes,

Arik,

I clicked “hide spoilers” half a hundred times and nothing’s changed. I’m using an iPhone.

11. Lord Stannis's Soul
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Right on Kristain! Bears represent!

12. Turncloak
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

jentario,

Try refreshing your page. I used the hide spoilers option on my Iphone5S and it worked fine

13. dragonreborn
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Now I like HODOR more! <3

14. Rygar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Schwiinnggg!!!!

15. jentario
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Not working. Hopefully this isn’t happening to the Unsullied

16. jentario
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Have you and Al combined into one grotesque monstrosity?

17. Rygar
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Rygar,

Have you and Al combined into one grotesque monstrosity?

No. I am as you see. Al has been banned. Yet his spirit lives on.

18. jentario
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Rygar,

He was banned completely? I thought they just deleted a few of his comments…

19. Strider
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Rygar,

To paraphrase a favorite character: “One day, Wic.net shall fade and crumble yet Al shall always be remembered in the hearts of all who yearn for freedom…”

20. Another dead Stark
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Evan,

Great pic, love the t-shirt

21. pntrlqst
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

“The Mountain and the Viper” finally confirmed on HBO.com

22. Al
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

What “Hodor” really means:
    |STANNIS

23. Braincandy
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink
  24. Andrew
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I found something interesting on the TVGuide website: extended press releases for upcoming episodes, with extended if incomplete guest cast listings.

Link: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/game-of-thrones/episodes-season-4/305628

Season 4, Episode 2
    Episode Synopsis: A who’s who of honored guests turns out for Joffrey and Margaery’s wedding in King’s Landing, but the king’s taste in entertainment rubs many of them the wrong way. Meanwhile, Bronn gives a lesson to an unlikely pupil; Bran’s vision helps map out his journey; Stannis loses patience with Davos; and Ramsay takes a perverse delight in his new pet.
    Original Air Date: Apr 13, 2014
    Guest Cast
    Pedro Pascal: Oberyn Martell
    Iwan Rheon: Ramsay Snow
    Julian Glover: Grand Maester Pycelle
    Ellie Kendrick: Meera Reed
    Indira Varma: Ellaria Sand
    Tony Way: Dontos Hollard
    Ian Beattie: Meryn Trant
    Noah Taylor: Locke
    Kristian Nairn: Hodor
    Diana Rigg: Olenna Tyrell
    Michael McElhatton: Roose Bolton

Season 4, Episode 3
    Episode Synopsis: In the frenzied aftermath of the royal wedding, Tyrion gets a visit from a loyal subject, but wonders if anyone in his family will help him out of his current predicament. Meanwhile, Tywin offers to work for the common good with a presumed enemy; Sam takes stock of the personnel at Castle Black; the Hound gives another life lesson to Arya; and Daenerys makes a decision outside the walls of Meereen.
    Original Air Date: Apr 20, 2014
    Lu Corfield
    Nathalie Emmanuel: Missandei
    Josef Altin: Pyp
    Indira Varma: Ellaria Sand
    Jacob Anderson: Grey Worm
    Ian Beattie: Meryn Trant

Looks like we’ll be getting our first look at Hizdahr in episode 3. Also, given that the guest list for Episode 1 was accurate, it looks like Diana Rigg, Michael McElhatton, and Iwan Rheon are still being billed as guest stars this season. Strange that there’s always a discrepancy between the Starring Cast on the HBO press releases, and who actually ends up in the opening credits.

25. Isabelle
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Braincandy,

Erm, that is AWESOME. Thanks for the link!

26. Arya's Nose
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hodor is love.

27. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

pntrlqst:
    “The Mountain and the Viper” finally confirmed on HBO.com

Thank you for this update!

Now what a twist it’ll be if the others are wrong.

28. Lord Stannis's Soul
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

To all my size-queen bear-lover star-f**k friends out there: It was a prosthetic!

29. CM Punk
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I long for the day when actors coming out isn’t a big deal.

30. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Andrew,

Very nice. Stoked we’re going to see Hizdahr so soon.

31. Jen@House Stark
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Strider:
    Rygar,

Freeeedoooom…………:breath: KK, congrats to Mr. Nairn on his announcement. BUT, not a real kraken? WTH? lol

32. Vengarl's Ass
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

stannis

Stannis

STANNIS

33. Strider
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark: Freeeedoooom…………:breath:

I read that and an image of #WilliamWallace just popped into my head! Bet Al would be so proud! LOL

34. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

OldeCrone,

Shhhhhhhh…. You’re only supposed to discuss that in the coffee shop.

Give me freedom or give me death.

35. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

That beard is truly incredible. Did they originally cast him as Maege Mormont?

Good for him. Hodor FTW!

36. ReekReek
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Weirdly, Hodor seems to be the only unanimously liked character in Game of Thrones. I think it’s because he’s the only truly neutral character. He has no agenda, he’s not out to hurt anyone, he makes people laugh, what’s not to like?

37. Lord Stannis's Soul
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

You know, something about him always set my Hodar off.

38. Cumsprite
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

There was a media frenzy about Nairn being gay? I missed it. But I get my gay news from the Washington Blade and not the click-baiting Gay Times. Maybe that’s why.

39. Chickenduck
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister:
    That beard is truly incredible.Did they originally cast him as Maege Mormont?

I was trying to think of a “Bear/Mormont” joke, but couldn’t come up with anything…

Seriously though, Kristian’s a cool guy, the best GOO episodes are the ones when he guested.

There’s also something oddly brilliant about casting an 8-foot tall Irish DJ as Hodor.

40. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Great guy. WAIT, HE’S GAAAY!!??? Great guy.