Peter Dinklage hosts Reddit AMA: the best Game of Thrones answers
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Peter Dinklage took to Reddit today to host an AMA. Short for ‘ask me anything,’ the AMA gave fans a rare opportunity to address Peter directly, reminding everyone reading that he does not have a Twitter account. After sharing brief video proof of his identity, thousands of questions started pouring in.

Here are some of the best questions and answers relating to his role of Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones.

AndrewOman89: Hi Peter, I’m wondering what life has been like at each filming location. I know you probably don’t get much time off-set to enjoy the surroundings, but how has it been shooting in Croatia/Ireland/wherever else you’ve shot?

Croatia’s one of the most beautiful places. We’re in Dubrovnik and we work 6 days a week, so we don’t have a lot of time off. But on our days off we just rent a boat and cruise around the islands. We go swimming, snorkeling… it’s just the most relaxed place in the world to be. I’d love to go back there one day on holiday.

The best part is that at the end of the work day, since it’s very hot there and we’re in these hot costumes — heavy leather and armor — some of us rip off our clothes and just jump right into the sea. Well, not all of our clothes. You know what I mean. But it’s invigoratingly cold, and always a joy.

lambro101: Which cast member on Game of Thrones is the funniest off screen?

Conleth Hill! He’s a dear friend and fortunately I have a lot of scenes with him. And Lena, she’s also a dear friend and all we ever do is laugh together. When the three of us get together it’s a lot of fun.

Addam_Marbro: Hey Mr. Dinklage, do you have any hilarious behind the scenes stories about Game of Thrones?

There was one scene I was doing with Jerome Flynn, who plays Bronn. It was in season 1 I think, when I say something to a crazy woodsman guy. He asks “How do you want to die?” and the line in the script was like, “At the age of 80 with wine in my belly and a girl’s mouth around my cock.” And I said… “Age of 80 and a girl’s cock around my mouth!” I inverted a couple of the words, and when I said that my friend Jerome couldn’t stop laughing, so we had to stop filming for the day.

ningrim: How did the Game of Thrones showrunners describe/pitch the role of Tyrion to you? What factors/concerns did you consider before accepting the part? Was it a difficult decision?

That was many years ago now, strange enough, time has gone by so quickly it was about 7 years ago, oh boy! I have known David Benioff, he was an acquaintance, and I was a huge fan of his writing, so that really got me inquisitive about the project, that and HBO.

I had one hesitation, because of the fantasy genre, I told him I didn’t want a really long beard and pointy shoes, and they assured me this character and this world wasn’t that. They told me about his complexity, the fact that he wasn’t a hero or a villain, that he was a womanizer and a drinker, and they painted a flawed and beautiful portrait of him, so i signed on.

madkingray: I’ve heard that you and Lena Headey are good friends outside of acting together. Due to the intensity of Cersei and Tyrion’s relationship, and the wicked gut slashing dialogue between the two, do either of you need to do anything to get into that mindset of mutual hatred?

Sometimes we have to avoid eye contact so we don’t crack up!! It’s funny that sometimes people think with these serious scenes, people think the mood on set is very serious, but sometimes the most serious scenes can produce the most laughter on set.

I miss working with Lena. We didn’t have as much as I’m used to this year. In the second season we had a lot of scenes together.

Love_Science_Pasta: If you could take one souvenir away with you on your final season of Game of Thrones, what would it be?

I’ve got a lion ring that’s pretty cool. And my scar.

To check out the rest of Peter’s answers be sure to visit Reddit.

1. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

It was a joy following this earlier. Thanks for providing a convenient Best Hits article.

2. Turncloak
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Awesome!

3. GeekFurious
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

How did I miss this?! Arrgh.

4. Chickenduck
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Was it on Reddit that he told the story of HBO’s anti-leaked-photo plan?

Basically, there’s a massive Croatian dude on set, who if he sees anyone in the cast or crew taking photos on their smartphone, will yell at you in Croatian and physically smash your phone.

It sounded both terrifying and humourous the way Dinklage described it.

5. Deathdreams
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

That was on Jon Stewart

6. Nikx Fabrizio
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:16 am | Permalink

you can watch Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 2 this sunday on this Link

7. loco73
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:12 am | Permalink

Wow, I really appreciate that “Mr. Lube” banner add following me on the screen as I try to read the articles on the thread…not to mention the Fansided logo at the top…no thank you, I don’t care about your other sites or whatever it is you are peddling. If I need to get another look at Kate Upton I’ll just google her…I thought this was a site catering to news about “Game Of Thrones”

I also appreciate all the new adds on the site, they make it soo original…by which I mean it’s slowly transitioning into one of the myriad of anonymous websites under the guise of one company which runs things like Bam Smack Wow and Foodsided. Yes because whenever I come to this site…that is what I want to be linked with…

You know in the early days of this site, no matter how simple and basic it was and looked, I appreciated its utilitarian and minimalist design. No one argues that changes is not needed from time to time, but change that makes sense and enhances a site, not the opposite. And from what I’ve seen, hard to discern any improvements at this point. Its eerie how the number of trolls and jerkwads also increased at the same time!

In a few days of operating this site you’ve managed to take all the years prior when this site worked and flush it down the toilette. In the process also make it less and less relevant, and give fewer and fewer ressons to come here…

I sure hope all this works out for all the fans that have been coming on here for quite a few years now…but hey I’m just waiting for the new “penis pump” add to pop-up or find out that Victoria Becham aka Posh Spice is actually a mandroid…

PS You do realize that the spoilers are showing by default, when actually the default setting should be the complete opposite!

8. varysthespider
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:54 am | Permalink

loco73,

Use an ad blocker and the NoScript addon (available for Firefox, probably also exist for other browsers). I don’t get any ads or links to other Fansided sites (unless I go to the menu in the bar at the top).

Edit: on Topic:
    Nice interview, some interesting revelations about his (working) life.

9. Sister Wrister
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:10 am | Permalink

loco73,

Epic.

I am also dismayed with the ad blitz circle jerk around here. It has become increasingly frustrating.

Valar morghulis.

10. Premislaus
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:45 am | Permalink

People are not using ad blockers? Hey loco73 and Sister Wrister, is this your first day on this internet thing?

11. Don Snow
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Blood,

Thanks for the link!

12. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Unsullied coming here for the first time via their mobile phones shouldn’t have to see rampant Season 4 spoilers by default thanks to the screwy setup on that with certain models and operating systems at the moment. That’s my biggest concern, although the painfully slow speed with which I text my comments now due to all the flashiness lagging me up a storm is irksome as well, but I’ll get over it.

13. Jane
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 6:52 am | Permalink

So much better questions than that dumb, offensive one he was asked at the Season 4 Premiere!
    On another note, I use AdBlock plus which works great at keeping all the Ads off this & every other site. People need to generate revenue to keep their websites running, but if Ads bother you that much just install this or another Ad blocker, it’s easy. https://adblockplus.org

14. asfastasican
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I miss the old mobile site a little bit. I also agree with the no default spoiler setting. Other than that, there’s nothing to complain about. Are you planning to write a check to the site admin to pay for their hosting within the next week? I didn’t think so.

It’s still their site and someone has to pay for it so a few ads won’t make your world come crashing down. The reporting is still excellent. Relevant news and articles get posted in very timely fashion. I was never a big fan of Oz’s unsullied reviews and I miss the old guy, but that’s just my personal taste.

Feel free to make your own fansite. I’ll be sure to visit it if you post news quicker and more often than WiC!

15. Jim
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Dude is from the same town in New Jersey as I am so I kind of really object to him using the phrase “on holiday.”

Because I have no real problems in my life, you see.

16. loco73
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

varysthespider,

If that worked…do you think I’d be mentioning it?

17. loco73
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

asfastasican:

You aren’t writing a check for them either, so please spare me your reproach…and unless and until this becomes a pay site where you contribute money while I don’t, you don’t have a leg to stand on…

I never said I could create a better site, my rant, however half-baked, was directed towards this particular one that I’ve loved coming to and posting for near 7 years…it felt more like a community than just a blog or a message board. Traits which I find are slowly but surely disappearing as the format and accompanying environment is changing…to a bland, unremarkable, utterly standard add-on site like pretty much every other site this company runs.

Now it’s slowly but surely becoming another cog in the machine, away from the stand alone, virtual meeting place this used to be for the GoT community…

We live in a society (in general) that is these days obsessed with upgrading, updating and changing. But if you ask most people why they are doing it, or what exactly is it that they are upgrading, updating or changing, most can’t give a simple answer…because they have no idea why.

…and if I’m wrong…big deal! I’ll say…”Oh look I was wrong about this!”… and move on.

18. kabhal
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

It’s not that bad with adblockerpro and noscript.

Without those, it’s terrible. :p

19. sig79
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

loco73,

You do realize that the ads generated on the side of the screen are generally populated from the cookies and browsing history of web sites you typically visit right? I don’t have any ad blockers installed on my pc or tablet and I have no problem with ads getting in the way. If you stop browsing “penis pump” sites you should be fine. :p. The change to the site has been minimal and its astonishing to me how many people are so upset with it. The content hasn’t changed and articles have been posted as quick as they have been prior to the change.

On a on topic note this AMA was awesome! Peter Dinklage is the man! I only wish he could have stuck around to answer more questions.

20. Matt Blake
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

loco73,

We shall fix all of the issues. Not sure what is up with the ads, they are the same as the old site, and I’ll be tackling this first thing Monday when I get back into town.

Posted April 13, 2014 at 1:05 am | Permalink

loco73,

You’re being wayyyyyy too dramatic, dude. It’s not nearly as bad as you’re trying to make it sound.

Also, they’re working on fixing the Mr. Lube ad. I emailed a screenshot and got a quick reply saying it should be fixed by Monday.

Posted April 13, 2014 at 1:12 am | Permalink

loco73,

The site change has been minimal. I don’t get any ads, and i’m not using an adblocker. Just that buggy Mr. Lube ad, which as I said is being fixed.

Seriously, your rants are annoying. Because the stuff you are saying is NOT happening. The site redesign has been minimal, and all the same people are still here, so I have no idea where you’re coming up with this thing about the community being destroyed. Geez, it’s been less than a week. Relax a bit, dude.

Anyways, I’ve been here since 2008 or 2009 and honestly, the community has been pretty brutal for at least 5 years anyway (complaining and nitpicking every single little thing). I still like it, though.