Game of Thrones Season 4 retains high ratings with The Lion and the Rose
By Hear Me Roar on in News.

A slightly more detailed number will be out tomorrow thanks to TV by the Numbers and their regular weekly updates, but the word is already out in the realm of Entertainment Weekly that the second episode, The Lion and the Rose, was seen by 6.3 million people. The second highest number after last week’s record. With only one repeat (the premiere had two), the total for the night was 8 million, but 2 per cent off last week.

That is in line with the previous three seasons where the high premiere number was largely retained in the following weeks, unlike with many other shows. I am glad the viewership stays so high (I would take anything above six million, personally), and can only look forward to a rise next week when people flock to their screens to witness the aftermath of this week’s momentous episode.

1. Lexyvil
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I was hoping that much, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to continue rising as the season goes.

2. Mar-Tella
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

HODOR.

Fantastic news, the juggernaut keeps rolling,

3. Tatters
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Not bad at all.

4. Arthur
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Hey Fury if you could please include the chart graph like the one in this wiki (under reception) it’s a great visual to see how season 4 is monstrous in ratings…

Can you please provide this in future rating posts =]

5. Premislaus
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

After the last night episode I’m pretty sure S4E3 will break the record again.

6. HouseMartellBitches
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Nice!

Here’s hoping that the last three episoes with awesome scenes like Oberyn VS Gregor, the Battle of Castle Black, and Lysa tripping & Tywin shitting can put the Finale numbers above 7 Million.

Ben Kingsley for Doran Martell or I riot!

Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Our charts reflect that, and will be posted again at midseason, updated. You can compare and appreciate the rise of viewership over the seasons of GoT just like you can in the chart you posted.

And it’s not Fury, but HmR with these type of posts :)

8. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Premislaus,

I think it will approach 7 million viewers for the live 9 PM airing.

9. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Hear Game of Thrones Roar.

10. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

The only thing that could prevent next week’s episode from experiencing a significant rise in live viewership is the Easter holiday . Does anyone know the numbers from last season on Easter Sunday? Was there a dip?

11. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Premislaus,

I think it will approach 7 million viewers for the live 9 PM airing.

12. DrunkenJester
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Any chance we’ll be getting reviewer recaps this season?

13. Arthur
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Oh shoot sorry Roar!

Ok sounds good, it’s just funny to view that chart because the chart will soon have to be altered or the ratings will soon literally rise OFF THE CHARTS… Lol…

14. John M W
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor: Are we sure about this stuff, though? I mean, in the aftermath of the Red Wedding, numbers actually dipped a little bit. I’m not saying “expect lower” or anything, but that was kind of a shock to some folks last year.

15. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

John M W: No they didn’t. The numbers went up, they just weren’t as high as the “season high” that occurred with episode 6.

Oh yeah, my bad.

16. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Well a dip in ratings is unsurprising really, it’s not normal for a show to immediately deliver such a dramatic follow-up to premiere. The norm is to basically put all the big moments in the first episode, and Two Swords certainly had plenty of those, even if there was only one real “action sequence”.

Now more people will be tuning in expecting them to top that with episode 3, but there’s no way they can do that with what’s currently on the cards. A little breather after 2 very big episodes is nothing to be ashamed of either. Bring it on (in about 6 days would be fine :)!

17. Pau Soriano
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Amazing news!

18. Seriano
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor,

“The Rains of Castamere” was watched by 5.22 million and the next episode had 5.39. That’s not a dip.

19. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Seriano:
    Jeff O’Connor,

Yeah, I’m aware now; I’ve been corrected. :)

20. Tatters
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I wonder how many is going to tune in,
    potentially this season could end on 8 million.

21. Cheese Souffle
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

The difference is, in a word, schadenfreude.

22. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Nice. Expecting a bit of an increase after the latest episode. I know the season three finale didn’t manage a series high last year, but I think the tri-fecta of The Mountain & The Viper, The Watchers on the Wall, and The Children is going to end the season on a series of consecutive highs.

23. A Man Grown
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I think that photo of Joffers and Margaery with the pie is my favorite GoT photo ever.

24. GeekFurious
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

The all-important number I think we’ll see in a couple of weeks will be what the total viewership was week-to-week (replays, HBOGO etc). That should/could put GAME OF THRONES on top of the all-time HBO podium, finally unseating SOPRANOS.

25. Johan Sporre
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Last year’s Easter Sunday was the season opener. What can be said is that the drop to the second episode last year was very small (0.1 million) so Easter probably had some effect of a couple of hundred thousand viewers.

26. jentario
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

There it is.

Anyway, great news about the viewership! It proves that even in a non-HBO-free weekend the ratings are still high (which means that they do indeed not count free viewers). I’m watching the episode tomorrow, which is so far driving me crazy. How would you guys rate it? Which episode is it comparable to in terms of awesome sauce?

27. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I’d put it in the same category as ‘Rains Of Castamere’, but I say that as someone who wouldn’t put ‘Rains Of Castamere’ as one of the top 5-6 episodes in the show’s history. Similarly, I’d say ‘The Lion And The Rose’ would be right around the top 10, give or take a few spots. The wedding reception part was masterfully handled, but the other scenes in the episode prevent it from being on the level of my favorite 6 or 7 episodes.

28. GeekFurious
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

P.S.

IT’S NOT FUCKIN’ CALLED “ratings”! HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK!!!! RATINGS IS WHAT YOU USE TO QUALIFY AD REVENUE! GODDDDAMMMIIT!!!!! THIS IS JUST VIEWER NUMBERS! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!!

There you go. I knew you were all waiting for that.

29. Delta1212
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

jentario,

It’s a typical GRRM-penned episode. So Pointy End by way of Blackwater, basically.

30. Delta1212
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I don’t know, I think the rest of the episode was actually handled very well.

31. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

I didn’t say it wasn’t, just that it prevented the episode from being one of my top 6-7 episodes. Being top 10 out of 32 ain’t bad. For instance, I love ‘Kissed By Fire’. It would easily be in my top 3, but it wasn’t an episode with a big death. It is filled with great scenes throughout, which is what I love in an episode.

Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Quite so. The working version of the chart already had to raise the ceiling :)

Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Yes, thank you :D
    I know, I know. It’s just that everyone calls them ratings. Unfortunate :P I use viewership numbers many times, but ratings is just so convenient and short :)

34. A Man Grown
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

It was definitely one of the better episodes…unfortunately the only bit that dragged it down featured one of my favorite book characters (Stannis). I still think Blackwater is the best episode they’ve ever done, but I’m hoping it will be topped this year.

I also still can’t get over how good the Arya/Hound scene was last week, even though it wasn’t a plot game-changer per se. Maybe the best scene so far to feature zero Lannisters or Targaryens?

35. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

A Man Grown,

I agree about The Hound-Arya scene. It may be my favorite scene in the show’s history. The dialogue was so sharp and witty. It really had everything(humor,action,great acting,revenge). I will get killed for this, but I could make a case that ‘Two Swords’ was a better overall episode than ‘The Lion And The Rose’. Season 4 is off to a fantastic start. If episodes 3-7 can keep from dragging, this should be the best season yet.

36. gosensgo
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor,

but this is different because people want to know who did it.

37. A Man Grown
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Two Swords did feel more cohesive and self-assured in pacing. This one felt like “Let’s throw in all the characters we left out last week, get that out of the way, then it’s wedding time!” I did really like the Roose/Ramsay/Theon scene though.

38. Kenneth A Rodríguez
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget the millions of people who watch it, from free sites… GOT is the highest Pirated TV show over mad men, the walking dead etc. last year 5.5 Million wonder what that number will be this season.

39. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    A Man Grown,

No, I’m with you there. They’re both great and I almost think 3×01 all the more so.

We may be in for a bit of a drag up next, but knowing what’s coming, I’m hard pressed to believe Season 4 doesn’t stand a higher likelihood of winning best year than otherwise.

40. GeekFurious
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:
    GeekFurious,

Yes, thank you :D

True. It is the commonly used word for two different things. But it will never stop annoying me. It’s like when people say “Nielsen ratings are voodoo math” when in reality it is very basic and accurate statistical analysis used by virtually everyone on the planet who collects mass populace related data.

The voodoo math is when people say “All my friends love the show!” as if that is evidence of popularity.

And with respect to HBO, as I say every year, total viewership is what is important since ratings data will not justify anything to HBO. Sure, they may look at it because it is interesting to see when men and women watch, but HBO makes budget decisions based on how many people who pay for the service (or buy the home video version) keep the service because of GOT. Now that is data I’d love to see (it would be internal and I’d be shocked if they release it). Because if that number is 5 million (just making up a number), that would make GOT one of the most profitable shows in ALL history.

5,000,000 * $120 (about how much HBO collects in revenue from a single annual account) = $600 MILLION. Hell, if only 1 million people keep their HBO service all-year (via bundling) for GOT, then HBO is still generating more revenue purely from the show than they spend to produce and market it (before even counting the overseas take and all home video sales).

41. Charles
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Anyone happen to notice Sansa’s neclace during the wedding scene just after Olenna comes to her and gives condolences? If you DVR’d it have another look. ^^

42. CM Punk
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Here’s hoping episode 9 can crack the Sopranos record.

43. ATG
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Awesome news.

44. Jimbo
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

(Bane Voice) The show rises!! :)

45. The Onion Knight
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Ben Kingsley plays Aries Targaryen II during a Bran vision episode 10 season 4 which we get to see a young Viserys and Dragon Skulls in the Throne Room.

46. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

The Onion Knight:

And if you believe that, pass the spiked punch!

47. King stannis
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Not bad considering there was award shows last night and premier of Mad Men and other bullshit I can’t remember was finishing as a finale.

48. GeekFurious
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

King stannis:

MAD MEN is on at a different time.

49. Exodus
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

I feel Ben Kingsley is a bit overused as an actor. Edward James Olmos would be a far more effective and affective Doran Martell. The man is also Hispanic, like Pedro Pascal, which I kind of like.

EJO!

50. jentario
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Unknown for Doran! Or if not, Giancarlo Esposito since he can play Doran (his character in Breaking Bad is mastermind acting calm, all we need to do is add a touch of good-hearted-ness and depression- which I’m sure this actor is capable of) and will look fine after the costume team get to him. He is also the right age, hispanic, not white (which should satisfy the raving Martells-should-be-black fans), and a damn fine actor. But I’m still hoping for an unknown (like Pedro Pascal, which was a very good casting).

51. Melisandre
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Charles:
    Anyone happen to notice Sansa’s neclace during the wedding scene just after Olenna comes to her and gives condolences? If you DVR’d it have another look.^^

YesSSSSSSS! I saw she took one of the gemstones on sansa’s neclace

I read the books and I have always thought it would be Littlefinger not Lady Olenna.Guess i was wrong.

52. Mallister65
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Charles,

I noticed the first time that afterwards, one of the gems towards Sansa’s left was gone.

53. loco73
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

“True Detective” has now become HBO’s most watched newbie series, surpassing “The Sopranos” , “Sex And The City”, “Six Feet Under” and yes even “Game Of Thrones”….

Still with “Boardwalk Empire”, “News Room” and “True Blood” all coming to an end, GoT will truly become HBO’s anchor or flagship show! Who would have thought it 3 years ago! I for one am very glad!

“The Leftovers” is an unknown quantity as of yet and Scorsese’s next project about the rock music scene in the 70′s (?) is still in development. “The Knick”, Steven Sodebergh’s return to TV was passed on by HBO in favour of its sister network Cinemax which will air it this coming summer…HBO will soon have to revamp its prime-time line-up!