George R.R. Martin, David Benioff, Dan Weiss, and Jack Gleeson on the unforgettable Purple Wedding
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Last night’s Game of Thrones episode has everyone talking, including those directly responsible. Entertainment Weekly has some great new and exclusive interviews performed in the wake of the Purple Wedding. Show-runners David and Dan, George R.R. Martin, and the King himself, Jack Gleeson discuss last night’s shocking conclusion of The Lion and the Rose.

Millions of people watching last night’s episode had no idea what was coming, but George R.R. Martin wrote those fateful scenes in 1998. George explains his decision to end Joffrey’s reign, and why his death wasn’t as painful as some might have hoped.

George R.R. Martin: Joffrey’s death was in some ways a counterweight for readers to the death of Robb and Catelyn. It shows that yes, nobody is safe—sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys win. Nobody is safe and that we are playing for keeps. I also tried to provide a certain moment of pathos with the death. I mean, Joffrey, as monstrous as he is — and certainly he’s just as monstrous in the books as he is in the TV show, and Jack has brought some incredible acting chops to the role that somehow makes him even more loathsome than he is on the page — but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.

History has repeated itself, and it’s clear that Westeros is a dangerous destination for a wedding. George explains why for the murderer, a wedding was the perfect time for poison.

George R.R. Martin: I think the idea with Joffrey’s death was to make it look like an accident — someone’s out celebrating, they haven’t invented the Heimlich maneuver, so when someone gets food caught in his throat, it’s very serious… the whole realm will see Joffrey choke to death on a piece of pie or something. But what they didn’t count on, was Cersei’s immediate assumption that this was murder. Cersei wasn’t fooled by this for a second.

Unlike the Red Wedding, the reaction to the Purple Wedding was mostly celebration. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss discuss what made Joffrey so utterly reprehensible, devoid of any redeeming qualities.

David Benioff: The thing about Joffrey is that typically your villain is such an alpha. You think of Darth Vader — he’s so terrifying because he’s so powerful. But Joffrey is actually this scared little kid, and if somebody stands up to him, he backs down in typical bully fashion. So what makes him so scary is he’s the ultimate spoiled boy who’s got unlimited power. So unlike a typical kid who might throw a tantrum when he doesn’t get what he wants, Joffrey has people decapitated when he doesn’t get what he wants. But part of what makes him so loathsome is there is something recognizable about him. Whenever you see some horrible spoiled brat doing something and you think, “Why didn’t the parents raise that kid differently?” Joffrey is the apotheosis of that.

Dan
Weiss: To George’s credit, that’s what makes him real. Far more often than an evil alpha male out to do evil for the sake of evil, bad things often come from people who are unfit to occupy positions of power, who find themselves in positions of power they are not suited for. They don’t have the moral fiber or leadership skills, but for some reason they find themselves sitting on the throne, and that’s where things go horribly wrong. For anybody who’s read history books or read the newspaper, that feels true.

George is not the only one who deserves credit for making Joffrey real, actor Jack Gleeson’s choice to portray the King as a human being and not a cliched demon spawn has earned him a lot praise. Dan and David believe that Jack carried that realism into his death scene.

David Benioff: There are so many other actors would have chosen a much more flashy route — flopping all over the floor. He made it feel real as he always has, and it’s the same as when reading the book. It’s a character you’ve despised for so long and wanted to see him killed, yet you’re seeing a young man — still a boy, really — choke to death, which is a horrible thing to witness. We didn’t want this to be a stand up and clap moment so much as a horrible death of a horrible person.

Dan
Weiss: There’s something anti-climatic about it. The standard move would be to give you a sense of release, a sense of happiness … the idea somehow the moral calculus of the world has been made right, and that this person who’s had it coming for so long has finally gotten what he deserved.

For Jack Gleeson it was difficult, but also relieving to film his last scene and say goodbye to Joffrey.

Jack Gleeson: It’s relieving, in a way. You want to do the scene and character justice. It’s a complicated scene; I’ve never had a death on screen before. You want it to look believable — the choking and the coughing… It’s hard to imagine what it would be like. But Alex very kindly walked me through it. It was fun in the end, but kind of stressful to be so focused, but acting like you’re completely unfocused. Difficult, but exciting.

Joffrey has been the character that we all love to hate for years, but Jack believes that the reaction to his death will be split.

Jack Gleeson: I think it will be 50-50. There will be a delight that the person tormenting their favorite characters is gone, but I would like to think there’s a certain sadness at the loss of the delight people take in hating a character like Joffrey.

Get ready for that sadness to hit you like a brick. Jack recorded a special goodbye message for Game of Thrones fans:

These interviews are chock full of goodness, as it would be impossible for me to fit it all onto this page, I encourage you to click through and read all of them in their entirety: George R.R. Martin, David & Dan, Jack Gleeson.

1. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I did shed a tear, didn’t think I would but I did. So I think they played it very well. He was the product of Cersei’s awful parenting.

2. wizardeyes
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Hate Joffrey. Fucking love Jack Gleeson. An amazing talent. He’ll be missed on the show.

3. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I’m ready for the “Grey” Wedding next! (or is that the “Grey wetting”?)

4. Ours the fury is!
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Jack’s the man.

5. Delta1212
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Jack Gleeson strikes me as someone who is incredibly sharp and a keen observer of how people work both individually and socially. It’s probably why he was so good in this role.

6. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

Definitely, and I loved the way George described it in the interview. Joffrey is a terrible bully, but that’s because he can get away with anything he wants. He might be on his “best behaviour” in Tywin’s presence, but he’s clearly just abusing his right as a ruler. If you were suddenly thrust into a position of power as a teenager, even if you went in with good intentions like Robert & Robb did, that doesn’t mean you’ll be a good king or queen.

In time Joffrey might have grown out of his bad habits and actually been pretty competent, and because Cersei couldn’t wait those few extra years to do away with Robert, she’s unleashed a beast onto the world’s most dangerous seat (literally).

7. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Delta1212:

Indeed, often actors can create characters that viewers hate, but not in a good way. In a ‘get his/ her face off the bloody screen’ kind of way. But with Joffrey, I think we all loved to hate him, not an easy thing to pull off.

8. Ours the fury is!
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

What happens to the cripple, the dwarf and mother of dead madness?

Especially the cripple since he’s not in KL at that time in books.

9. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

Indeed, villains aren’t born, they’re made, which is why I think it’s so fitting he died in his mother’s arms. She made her son into a monster others wanted to kill, and so in essence, she did cause his death indirectly.

10. BaldwinIV
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen:

Don’t forget Robert. I think he is a product of two bad parents.

11. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: I’m ready for the “Grey” Wedding next!

We’ve still got the Orange Wedding to look forward to. You know, the one in which Davos finds him self unexpectedly sacrificed by Melisandre mid-vows.

Then there’s the Yellow Wedding, where Oberyn finally decides to tie the knot with Ellaria and she slips on a banana peel.

12. Monica
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

James Hibberd from EW is the best, most thorough coverage of all things GoT. A great read!

13. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

BaldwinIV,

Well that’s true, but I think a rather dismissive/ absent father is not nearly as damaging as a very present venomous/ ‘poisoning’ mother.

14. Omar Brown
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Jack’s message = All the feels! :(

15. KG
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Aww thanks, Jack! (huggles)

16. BaldwinIV
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

More presence could have been a antidote for the venom. But I also think that for example, his disregard for women might have come from his “dad’s” side of the coin.

17. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I like that Jack has changed his mind about going into academia over the past year. It gives me hope that he’ll miss acting after a couple of years and come back to us.

18. KG
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

No, don’t underestimate the effect a terrible father can have on a fella.

Tori Targaryen:
    BaldwinIV,

19. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I don’t think he’ll entirely give-up on acting, he’ll just probably never do anything on this scale again. He’s very for promoting the arts, and is even part of a group with makes puppet shows for the kiddiwinks, so maybe he’ll be Baron Hardup in Cinderella this Christmas?

I think between him and Isaac both potentially giving up big-roles after this, modern culture has seriously missed out. But it’s all for the best really, how can you ever be taken seriously once you’ve been on a show like this for so long. Daniel Radcliffe will certainly never get anything like Harry Potter ever again.

20. Josla
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

BaldwinIV: Don’t forget Robert. I think he is a product of two bad parents.

And Jaime who is actually his real father. As his “uncle” he could have teach him a few good things if he cared too. I don’t think Cersei is the only one to blame. Also sometimes people develop their own way no matter what

21. g.o.d
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I think Jack deserves Emmy, not only for this season, but for all of them. He did absolutely amazing job!

22. Bui Huu Duyet
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

A roast for Joffrey and a toast for Jack!

23. Pau Soriano
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I think show-Joffrey was a psycopath no good parenting could have saved…

24. JRR Tzolkin
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

BaldwinIV: Don’t forget Robert. I think he is a product of two bad parents.

In all fairness to him, though, Robert was always aware of what a lousy ruler, husband and father he was. He even said so to Joffrey himself whilst lying on his dying bed.

Cersei, on the other hand, could never admit to doing anything wrong. Not as queen, wife, mother, woman or simply as a human being, for that matter.

25. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

KG,

Oh believe me, I know from experience what a bad father can do, but having a good mother to balance it out makes the world of difference. The role of a mother, psychologically, is more important for a child’s upbringing than a father’s role. I’m not saying Robert had no effect on Joffrey, of course he did, but nothing compared to what Cersei inflicted on him.

26. Jacob_M
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Casting news! Total Film interviewed Ray Winstone about whether or not he watched GoT and he said that he hasn’t but that he’s heard that it’s really good and that he’s going to catch it up from beginning because his eldest daughter (Jamie) is in it and will come on later this season.

His daugher Jamie Winstone is Alfie Allens former/current fiancé and was seen together with Alfie at this years premier in New York. Going by IMDB, she been in quite a lot of British productions but she’s not really know to me It might be that she’s not been announced because the role is nothing to take notice of – If not, I wonder she’s good at playing a snakelike personality. Maybe.

27. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

He was clearly not like that to begin with. For example, when he’s having his wolf wound dressed in 103, he asks Cersei “Do I have to marry her?” & not, “I refuse to marry her!” He also cried when he was at Robert’s deathbed. He wanted to go into the Blackwater to prove to everyone he could be as good as his “father” was, but he was afraid, as you’d expect from a boy who’s never seen a battle in his life.

If he’d ascended the throne without having his birth called into question, chances are he wouldn’t do much to ultimately harm the realm. Certainly not spark at least the Northern conflict of the War. Tywin would quickly become his hand, and they could then (theoretically using the untouched loyalist forces) defeat Stannis & Renly once and for all. I’m not saying it would’ve changed everything if Ned or Jon Arryn hadn’t said a thing about it, but all it really proved was if you poke a tiny hole too much, you’re just going to make it bigger.

28. jacquesdor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Jacob_M:

The blonde pics are making me think Val?

29. gisizzlah
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

“to murder someone at a wedding… what kind of monster would do such a thing?” – Lady olenna

30. Ulf the Wolf
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Hmm, way, way too close to the Red Wedding. Should have come a few more episodes in between, imho. The shock value was not there. The season has barely started. Good TV nevertheless…

31. wizardeyes
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Is that what the Winterfell wedding is known as? I never knew that… I freaking love that chapter. It may even be my favourite wedding of the series. So tense and atmospheric.

32. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I think Joffrey was born a villain. Maybe not the one he is at his wedding but he was definetly born messed up and cruel. If I remember correctly in the books, Joffrey got hit by Robert as a child after killing a pregnant cat to see its babies. That’s f*cked up.

33. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Ragman’s Harbor,

No one is born evil, and the example you used was of him as a child… So he’d already been poisoned by those around him.

34. Steel_Wind
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

One thing which, regrettably, never emerged from the TV series was the identity of who it was that armed and paid the assassin to kill Brandon Stark with a Valyrian steel dagger.

For those Unsullied, as that answer will now never emerge in the TV series: the answer is that it was Joffrey who did it. He took the dagger from the royal wheel carriage. It was a weapon that belonged to King Robert, though the king had many weapons and didn’t pay careful attention to them. As prince, Joff had the money to pay the assassin his pouch of silver as well. The assassin was simply a hanger-on that had attached himself to the Royal procession as it wound its way northwards.

Joffrey imagined he was putting “Bran the Cripple” out of his misery and that his father would approve of such an act of “mercy”.

Joff had no deeper motive than that, other than the fact he was sociopath with no sense of empathy. In the book, when he received his new sword Widow’s Wail as a wedding gift, he noted to those present that he was “no stranger to Valyrian steel” and Tyrion made note of that comment and quoted it back to him, archly. Joffrey then appeared uneasy as he understood that his role in Bran’s botched assassination had thereby been revealed to Tyrion.

35. Smita
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Jack Gleeson, simply put, cannot retire from acting. His talent does not belong to him alone to do with what he wants. It belongs to the world to share with. Talent like this is not born routine and it becomes the responsibility of the person to share it with the world…great power ..great responsibility thing…maybe he can find a happy medium between what he loves to do and what his talent requires off him..I look forward to see him a numerous other performances.

36. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Josla,

Also sometimes people develop their own way no matter what

I agree, parenting is a crapshoot….sometimes a parent can do everything right and the kid will still turn out to be bad.

37. Tori Targaryen
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

Nonsense. If a child turns out ‘bad’ then it is because of environment, whether it’s parents, siblings, school etc. ‘Bad people’ aren’t born, it’s a ludicrous notion.

38. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Ragman’s Harbor,

Tori Targaryen,

Yeah, you can’t blame a little boy for not knowing how pregnancy works. He didn’t do that maliciously, he was trying to impress his father by giving him a present. Robert punished him for it, maybe a bit too harshly but it’s still better than allowing him to get away with ordering the execution of the Warden of the North, abusing name-day gifts and reveling in death and destruction.

Tywin also sets a terrible example for him by making two houses do his dirty work from his chair a leisurely 1500 miles away from battle and behind city walls. Not to mention he just wipes out two more sworn vassals of his own house, just because they got too big for their boots. One of the few times he actually smiled was when the walls of Tarbeck Hall came crashing down on Lady Tarbeck’s head.

39. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Anvil,

Seems about what was expected. People wanted to watch the premier as it first aired live. Next week will be interesting, as more people tend to tune in live for an episode following a shocking cliffhanger. I think next week’s episode will come close to surpassing 7 million viewers for the live 9 PM ET airing.

40. Carne
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Joseph Gatt has a pretty cool picture of himself as the Thenn warg over at his IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1292945408/nm1395532?ref_=nmmi_mi_all_pbl_1

41. Hollyoak
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Joffrey was an evil child-king.

But the way Jack played that final scene, writhing in agony in his final throes of life, I felt pity for him, knowing he was not long for this world.

Good job Mr. Gleeson. I say, good job indeed, Sir.

For the people that applaud and cheer when a character like that dies, I wonder. My first response is horror and sadness, not joy. But, we’re all different.

42. Hexonx
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Something I find interesting about those articles is that they originally cast a different actor for Joffrey. They had one last audition I guess they didn’t cancel out of respect. Apparently Jack blew them away as one of the Ds said that Joffrey wasn’t going to be a very big part but Gleeson showed them something and they ended up making Joffrey a bigger part. So Gleeson really did have a profound effect on the direction of the show. Can you even imagine anyone else as Joffrey?

43. Hexonx
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Carne:

Wow, that is pretty bad ass. I Like the owl too.

44. hargard
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

I don’t feel like you have the right to spoil it so openly. Might be that it will still be revealed at some point. Might that it will be changed in the show.

45. Lisa
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Having known a drug addict neighbor who killed his very nice, upstanding parents (who had spent nearly a million for rehab for him, and had watched their son go to jail at an earlier state),and who raised a perfectly nice, successful daughter, I’m going to disagree with that statement.

46. Baelor
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

To fairly judge Cerseis parenting skills one should wait and see how Tommen and Myrcella turn out. Both seem perfectly normal, even decent human beings so far.

47. Ashara D
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

Only people who do not have children or spend very little time with them would say that. Every parent knows it is a crapshoot. You do ur best while you can (studies say first 5 years or less) and you let them go out into the world when they’re 18. Plenty of outstanding people come from crap homes and vice versa.

48. Hollyoak
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

The thing that made Joffrey’s death so visceral is the SFX. (That’s special effects for you civilians.) Usually a bad guy dies and the audience goes Oh well. He’s dead. But the blood coming from the nose, the shock in the eyes, the gasping for breath, the pallid skin…all came together to make it truly horrifying.

Thrones is an incredibly serious show. They don’t pull any punches.

49. Insomnia333
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

Never emerged from the TV Series?!?! I’m sorry I didn’t realize this was the series finale.

It was certainly nice of you to decide after a single line of dialog that you obviously thought should be there wasn’t (i.e. “I’m no stranger to Valyrian steel”) that the plot point would never be revealed in another way. Anything else you wish to spoil for the Unsullied that you think the show is taking to long to get around to?

50. WildSeed
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I hope we get to express a fond farewell to Gleeson, as we did with other departing cast members.
    This HBO series will speak well for any film projects he may still consider for his very young future.
    He is the envy of many young men ( and mature ) his age, even if his film career is off the table.

Thanks George Martin for successfully altering my values about a living thing or person, and wishing them dead. After my experiencing ( still fresh emotional wounds ) of the Tully-Frey wedding and Eddard’s death, I have never wished before a violent death for any foe…….until Joffrey. It was rapture, it brought tears of joy, it was just. I’m all balanced out now. *>*

51. ATG
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Out of all the great actors on GoT, Jack was one of the very best he will be missed.

Carne:

Also thanks for the link that is a pretty badass picture.

52. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Believe it or not, I wasn’t thinking about that wedding just yet. Maybe that could be known as the “White” wedding because of the “Snow” factor? (Hah! I made a funny!) In truth, I was just using the word “grey” (as in Greyjoy) somewhat slyly. I have a feeling there will be some sort of intriguing event associated with Balon’s death, rather than an isolated mystery. But who knows…

RIP Joff while your parents fuck over your corpse, literally.

Blood moon tonight, folks!

53. Jimbo
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Just watched episode 2. And while I can say I am delighted that the little shite has had his comeuppance, I am however already sad that we will not see anymore of his tormented little scenes and Jack and Peter’s great moments together! :( Great episode!

@J.Gleeson – Dude, we love to hate you, but have to say you have been brilliant to watch tormenting the land of Westeros for the past 4 years! Good luck with the Theatre. :)

54. Krishnan Gurumurthy
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Jacob_M,

Jacob_M:

That’s the wrong Winstone – his eldest daughter is called Lois: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1092837/

55. FictionIsntReal
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:
    Pau Soriano,

To me, that moment was the most humanized he ever got in the whole show. Even with his own screwed up sense of morality, he realizes what he’s doing is wrong by his own standards.

Regarding what causes children to develop the way they do, I highly recommend reading “The Nurture Assumption”. It’s usually hard to separate genetics from family environment, but you can do so with twin-adoption studies (nowadays even that’s passe, we have GWAS).

56. WildSeed
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I have to agree with Pau here, no amount of good or better parenting would have changed Joffrey’s path. There are far too many credible medical studies that demonstrate sociopathic if not Socio-Pathologic Genetics. Unless helped in some (clearly unavailable ) fashion that corrects his physio-chemical imbalance, and kept away from the general public, he would only progress to become more than aberration that he already demonstrated at a young age. The same goes for Ramsey, Qyburn and Roose. The genetic tendency is inextricably linked to the individual, but easily exacerbated by parents and environment . Genetic material determines the sum of who or what you are, not whom you think you are or your physical appearance.

Joffrey represented an genetically flawed person, but he was capable of human emotion and all the complexities needed to function. Of course he sensed his bond with his mother, and innocence when he bore scratches from Nymeria’s attack. He wasn’t Frankenstein, lol.

57. WildSeed
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Joffrey altered the course in the universe. A Lunar eclipse was called for to put back the balance in the world of men ( and cats ) everywhere. *>*

58. Jocelyn
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I will miss your great performance Jack, you’re such a talented actor.

59. Shan
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I think that if you can use Tommen and Myrcella as representatives of Cersei’s parenting and Joffrey as the child who went rogue, you can also look at it from the other perspective. Perhaps Joffrey is an accurate depiction of how Cersei intended to raise her children and Tommen/Myrcella strayed from the path because they aren’t naturally evil.

I just think there’s an element of free will that people are ignoring. Joffrey is undoubtedly a psychopath (excuse me if that’s not the correct diagnosis; that’s just what I’m seeing the most of), but had Cersei been a different kind of parent, Joffrey wouldn’t have been allowed to run rampant all over everyone and everything (or however it is that Tywin puts it in S3). He would’ve been a sick person, but he would’ve been repressed and not allowed to believe that “everyone is his to torment,” etc.

I was reading a chapter of AFFC earlier in which Tommen commands Cersei that she isn’t allowed to harm Margaery and Cersei drags him out of the room and instructs Boros Blount to force Tommen to whip Pate “until he’s bleeding from both cheeks,” and if Tommen refuses, Ser Boros is to remove Pate’s tongue so that Tommen can “learn the cost of insolence.” This, to me, epitomizes Cersei’s parenting style.

While a parent influences their child greatly, I think that children are free to make their own decisions and become the people they want to be. Cersei is an awful parent that spoils Joffrey and further poisons his mind — Myrcella and Tommen simply aren’t evil enough to go along with it.

If Cersei hadn’t been so adamant about Ned Stark being punished and implanted into Joffrey’s mind that the Starks are enemies and that Ned Stark is a traitor, Joffrey would never have cut off his head.

I just personally believe that Cersei is the root of most of Joffrey’s evil (and most of the evil present in the books). She’s an awful, disgusting little creature.

60. Jacob_M
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Krishnan Gurumurthy:
    Jacob_M,

Hmmm…yea. I got it wrong, but I wonder if I still wasn’t right with saying it’s his daughter Jamie? You wouldn’t happen to be English, would you? Proper English? Like what those rabbits in Guy Ritchie’s movie “Snatch”? *Sees name* – Proper English as in living in England at least? I went back and listened to that video and Ray Winstone is proper English enough to remind me of scenes from “snatch” where Turkish tries to understand those pikies…almost. Listening to that video several times more, it does sound to me like his saying ONE of my eldest daughters, rather than THE eldest daughter…so that could still be Jamie.

(Edit) Nah, I was just plain wrong and you were right: Searching for Lois Winstone and Game of Thrones finds her agents page and the claim that Lois recently filmed for Game of Thrones. Dang.

61. Stark Raving Mad
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:28 am | Permalink

When you watch Jack’s farewell video, you realize how much his facial expression is the character and not him. Wonderful actor. Glad Joffrey’s gone, but I’ll miss Jack. I wish him all the best.

62. Sean Snow
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 4:29 am | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

I feel like people put too much blame on Cersei for how Joff turned out, her other two kids are great and not evil/satanic. In the books King Robert said before he died something along the lines of he blamed himself for Joff to a degree (for not being there etc) but that the kid was always fucked up, like how there was a pregnant cat in the castle so Joffery cut her open to see the babies. The sadism was already in him.

63. Baelor
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

The best thing about GoT/ASoIaF in my opinion is exactly that it has very few characters in it that are truly and only evil. Cersei for sure isn’t. She is a loving mother, very devoted to her children at the beginning of the series. Actually too much so, otherwise she would have had a firmer hand in dealing with Joffrey. In AFfC and afterwards the Queen Regent obviously looses her mental balance, is very isolated and tormented by a certain prophecy.

64. Bryan
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Here’s to Jack! I never thought i miss Joffrey, but now i know i will. Cheers!

1. […] George R.R. Martin, David Benioff, Dan Weiss and Jack Gleeson talk about the Purple Wedding. [Winter Is Coming] […]