Michele Clapton and Kevin Alexander detail Royal Wedding costumes and hairstyles
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Fashionista has debuted their new weekly feature, “Fashion of the Realm,” which will be inspired by each new episode of Game of Thrones. In their first feature they talk with costume designer Michele Clapton and hair designer Kevin Alexander to get the details on Margaery’s gown, and the ladies’ wedding hairstyles.

Spanning nearly 6 weeks and 3 fittings, inspired by the Tyrell House Sigil, Margaery’s wedding gown was created with painstaking detail.

Fashionista: How did you craft all the roses?
Michele Clapton:
They were hand rolled and stitched. And there were a lot! The thorns were also hand-made in leather.

Any symbolism in the dress?
The fabric is a linen silk mix and has leaves woven into it. This led beautifully into my idea of a creeping  briar rose that, although pretty, will draw blood if you catch yourself on its thorns and can end up smothering its host. Pretty but dangerous!

What about that crown?
The idea of the briar rose is continued into the crown where it wraps around the Baratheon antlers [Joffrey's sigil]. This was to show her creeping influence, which is not lost on Cersei.

Clapton also explains the other women’s wedding attire. Most of the court now follows Margaery’s style as a show of support for their new Queen, while Cersei remains comfortably in her wine color palette and aggressive necklines. Sansa, however, too scared to show her support for Margaery, and unwilling to conform to Cersei’s influence, is dressed very plainly, closely resembling her mother’s style.

Hair designer Kevin Alexander details perhaps the last time we will see Sansa sporting a capital hairstyle, and Margaery’s statement mound of hair.

Someday perhaps Sansa will be rid of King’s Landing and free to romp around in airy, floaty dresses. In the meantime, though, her hair was fabulous. The trick? “Hair sausages,” said Alexander. Think hair doughnuts, except long. He sewed two together and laid them on top of her head ear-to-ear, then cross-crossed braids over it. He added a cluster of knotted pearls as an adornment.

Let’s not let that dress overshadow this incredible mound of hair. Alexander was inspired by a waterfall for this look. To get the height at the crown, he used a flower-pot shaped five-inch tall cage. He braided her real hair very tightly, then placed the wig and cage onto the braids as a base. He then covered the cage with extra hair, and then curled the hair. This scene took a week to shoot, so Natalie Dormer had to go through a two-hour process each day to get this style. “With the heat we were in, it was a lot for the actors to go through,” Alexander said. There were no hair disasters, though. “We used lots and lots of setting lotion.”

For more from Michele Clapton’s interview and details on Cersei’s hairstyle visit Fashionista.

1. Dash
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Hodor dress!

2. arden
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

any information on season 4 soundtrack release date?

3. jentario
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for the aftermath of the wedding and the remainder of the season! Shit is now officially going down

4. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Okay, when is the ‘show spoilers’ feature going to be fixed? I’m tired of it reverting back to hiding them every time a page refreshes.

5. Grynthaline
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t mean to be insulting to the hair designers, but damn those King’s Landing hairstyles are ugly. Even Cersei’s was kind of tolerable, but Sansa had the same ‘sausage roll’ as they described it, and it looks horrible, I don’t know who can think that it is an appropriate or fair looking hairstyle, it’s outright ugly. I hope Sansa never has to wear it again, if by chance her story ends up in King’s Landing again in the long future.

/end of rant

6. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

It’s interesting and impressive how much back story and thought goes into every character’s outfits and accessories. You never really notice on regular occasions, but they really do think these things thoroughly, like Sansa’s style coming from her fear and refusal to support either queen.

Say what you want about the rest, but this show is pretty much flawless when it comes to props and costumes. Well.. mostly. I still think they could do better when it comes to Daenerys and Essos.

7. Siobhán Mooney
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Love the level of detail that goes into this show. :)

8. jentario
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I still can’t switch between “show spoilers” and “hide spoilers” (the button isn’t doing anything). At least now the default is to hide the spoilers… That way Unsullied are safe.

EDIT: the issue is on my iPhone

9. Ashara D
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Same issue. Galaxy 3S.

10. Monica
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I liked how Margaery’s gown has more thorns than roses. Joffrey got pricked!

11. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

The show spoilers button is not working on my laptop either.

12. Turncloak
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I will buy my future wife Margaery’s gown! IT IS KNOWN

13. KG
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I liked the one caption for the Fashionista photo gallery:

“This is obviously a very festive look for Brienne.”

I don’t know why, but that made me laugh way more than it should have.

14. gisizzlah
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Yep! thats my wedding dress…

15. Dominique Lavigne
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Thé spoilers buttons worked fine a few days ago, now it’s stuck on hide. IPad.

16. Helen Tran
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

arden,

I second this! Season 4 music is fabulous so far

17. Helen Tran
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Ughhhhh SO MUCH DETAIL! Love it. Only thing is, the show never has enough close-ups of this stuff… I really can’t appreciate those details until I see the production videos or stills.

18. Plan
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I actually like the hairstyles — Natalie Dormer in particular looked amazing — and I really like how the wedding feast decorations were consistent with the Mediterranean visual style they’ve used. King’s Landing may be the most vile snake pit in Westeros, but it always looks sunny and gorgeous.

On an unrelated note, a moderator at Westeros.org deleted one of my posts today because someone had posted something slightly similar *four* years ago. Apparently that sort of thing is their MO. I’ve never seen such heavy-handed, ridiculous moderation on a discussion board, and I won’t be posting there again. Thanks for providing an alternate destination.

19. C
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 12:35 am | Permalink

arden,

According to Film Music Reporter, the soundtrack is being released July 1st!

20. Sword pen
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 12:54 am | Permalink

C,

Awesome! Can’t wait.

21. Immi
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Hmm, ‘show spoilers’ isn’t working on my S4 or laptop either, I thought it was just me :/
    You may all know this already but I’ve found that if you click on the spoiler and hold, it shows. Easier with a mouse than touchscreen though.

22. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Immi,

and impossible on the iPhone. If I want to read spoiler tagged stuff I need to quote the comment and read it in my reply bar. I think this should be issue #1 to tackle down since it either screws sullied or unsullied.

23. arden