Alfie Allen on Reek’s missed opportunity, and the return of Yara Greyjoy
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

In Sunday’s episode of Game of Thrones we were introduced to a fully formed Reek, the last remaining piece of Theon Greyjoy after a torturous, and often cringeworthy Season 3. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Alfie Allen promises his Season 4 scenes will be easier to watch, as Reek’s torture takes a new shape.

“It gets dark. I don’t think people will find it as hard to watch this year. It depends what kind of person you are. It’s more of a mental torture than it is physical. It’s daunting as an actor. I have to do more telling of the story with my eyes than with words. I’ve never really done that type before.”

But the screaming isn’t completely over. Alfie hints, “oh, actually, there is some hoarse-throat moments for me, so look forward to that.”

For a brief moment in Sunday’s episode, we saw Reek with razor in hand and plenty of opportunity to take revenge on his captor. Alfie tells TV Line that the thought didn’t even cross Reek’s mind.

“Reek, for a moment, visits that old Theon again when he hears about that news of Robb Stark’s death, but I don’t think he is on the verge of slicing Ramsay’s throat. I don’t think that even crosses his mind for a second, because it’s far too big a step to take to do that. He is way too frightened to do that at that point.”

Reek’s only hope may be his sister, Yara Greyjoy, whom Alfie says we will be seeing more of soon.

“There’s more to come from Yara, definitely. Gemma Whelan does a fantastic job of doing it ,and yes, I’m really glad that I get to do stuff with her… I mean, yes. She comes back to save me. So we will see what happens after.”

For more from Alfie visit Entertainment Weekly and TV Line.

1. Balerion The Cat
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Joffrey!

2. Pointy End
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I was actually so impressed with the Reek acting last episode. Well done.

3. Jospeh
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Jalabhar Xhodor!

4. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Ok so Yara is as good as dead meaning no kingsmoot!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

5. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Reek <3

I hope he gets to eat a living rat. That scene was absolutely disgusting in the book.

6. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

You are something aren’t you. And no that doesn’t definitely mean that. I don’t think she will die there, Kingsmoot or no.

7. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Reek <3

I hope he gets to “prepare” lord Ramseys bride for him.

8. Turncloak
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

So it looks like Yara gets captured by Ramsay. The Question is, are they scrapping the whole Fake Arya plot and having Ramsay marry Yara?.

9. wizardeyes
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Alfie Allen has been the surprise break-out star from game of thrones for me. He’s fucking fantastic. Seriously talented actor – he’s was a great as Theon and he seems even better as Reek. Can’t wait for Reek’s winterfell storyline (I assume season 5).

So how is the season 4 storyline gonna go? Ramsay and Reek go and take Moat Cailin then come back to the Dreadfort then Yara attacks the Dreadfort?

10. Turncloak
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I can no longer see spoilers in my iphone dispite clicking he show spoilers button several times

11. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:

Me too on my computer …

12. TheBerylfly
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Show spoilers doesn’t work for me as well, and the phone layout is a complete nightmare

But Alfie’s acting as Reek is absolutely mindblowing, and his shaving scene with Ramsay, again, had almost erotic intimacy to it, I wonder if they are doing it purposefully

13. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

So I wonder if Yara will get captured and then replace Jeyne Poole and be used as the fake Arya? That would be really messed up considering some of the things Theon has to do to her. It would be great for their eventual escape since the two already have an established relationship. I really like the dynamic of Yara going to save Theon and then she gets captured and Theon ends up saving her/redeeming himself.

14. Siobhán Mooney
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I was really impressed by *everyone’s* acting in Theon’s scenes during The Lion and the Rose. During season three, I could have done with fewer Theon torture scenes (but now I feel like, in a way, they were necessary – they explain how broken Theon is now – without them, would viewers believe him not slitting Ramsay’s throat?). For season four, I feel like the Dreadfort material is going to be some of the strongest.

15. Claire Johnson
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Same here.. Show meee da schpoilerzzzz !

16. LordSnow
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I can’t see the spoilers!!!!

17. Zeus
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Reek, it rhymes with meek

18. Second Son
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I can’t see spoilers either, on any device (or my desktop). Maybe the new site’s coding is screwed up. Regardless, it needs to be fixed.

19. mariamb
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:

Well, I actually love this idea. The Fake Arya plotline is not one of my favorites. I would much prefer that he marries Yara. I’m sure Yara feels otherwise but whatever…

“Show Spoilers” is also not working on my computer. And the entire site has issues on the iPad. Top navigation bar (with the FanSided logo at left and the WiC drop-downs) doesn’t appear. And I am unable to zoom in on the page by pinching. And the right side navigation is chopped off.

20. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

They don’t work for me either. I’m on a laptop so it’s not just the mobile version that isn’t working. I think I’ll email them.

Anyway, the direction Yara’s story goes is the biggest mystery of the season. It’s making me feel like an unsullied.

21. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

LOL at Yara being fake Arya. Do you really think she’d be submissive enough to be fake Arya? I have no idea what will happen with Yara, but I can say with confidence that she will not be fake Arya. And it makes little sense for Ramsay to marry a Greyjoy.

22. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Matt Sinopoli:

I’m sure all the Sullied are wondering about this as the show introduces this new Yara thread. Will it re-align itself with ADwD post-wedding at Winterfell? Who knows? Maybe we’ll have a cool battle and Yara capture/escape at Moat Cailin or the Dreadfort. However, I really don’t think Yara or Myrcella will be a fake Arya though…that would really insult the Northern lords, imho.

23. Jospeh
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Everybody complaining about not being able to see spoilers, just use the old fashioned method of highlighting them for now (which works for me, so I assume that isn’t anyone’s issue?) Its much better than if Unsullied were to read spoilers not hidden properly like they weren’t straight after the change happened

Alfie’s acting has been incredible and stand out starting from his leaving Robb’s camp for me. Myself I never understood the complaints about the torture scenes, I always felt them necessary to show how broken he is going to become as Reek, and although they aren’t shown in the books this is the kind of thing that needed to be shown on screen to get the point across. As Siobhan said above, the shaving scene wouldn’t have made sense if he wasn’t thoroughly broken

24. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t see Yara “replacing” fake Arya. First off, you’d have to repeat a storyline, that is, the torture and complete breaking down of a character, and it’s also Theon’s sister. So that seems like it would get even more torturous, and the knowledge the Ironborn have of both Greyjoy children gone – especially the valuable Yara – makes it a bit of a stretch to turn this fully formed woman who would more than likely kill herself than be browbeaten into becoming Ramsey’s slave “wife.” It seems too far-fetched, and let’s remember, Yara just isn’t as weak as Theon is. It’s out of character – she’d more likely just be killed off. (If she’s killed off, then I agree with those who think that means no Kingsmoot.)

However, the longer Balon Greyjoy is alive, the better the chances of the Kingsmoot, the better the chances of seeing Euron/Victarion (I still see Aeron as a candidate for elimination). After 2 episodes, Balon still alive as far as we know.

Admittedly sending Yara back around all of Westeros to go to the Moot seems a bit much, so it could be a portent of her death, or just her not being there at all. I’d still like to have it (could she potentially replace Victarion, and act as the one who takes the ships to Meereen? Maybe. That’s complicated though, and eliminates Victarion’s motivation to steal Euron’s prize. And you still need someone to send her there, so you need a Euron, given Balon still likely a goner.)

25. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I think the actor who plays Ralf Kenning (which was at Moat Cailin in the books) was cast for episode 8 or 10. Rumors have it that Yara’s attack on the Dreadfort happens in episode 6.

IF this is true and Yara’s attack comes before Moat Cailin… My guess is that they will tie it all together. Have Yara escape to Moat Cailin after the attack, where the slaughter will happen like in the books. Now, if Balon happens to die in season 4 (and it has to happen at some point or they wouldn’t have included it in the leeches scene), maybe Yara hears news about it (and about Euron’s arrival) and takes a ship from Moat Cailin to Pyke to see what’s what. Or she dies. We’ll see.

26. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I hope Yara isn’t captured by Ramsay. I’d prefer it if she attacked the Dreadfort while Ramsay,Roose, and Reek were away at Moat Cailin. I really have no clue what they have planned, but it makes me uncomfortable. I thought for sure it would be Stannis who would capture her earlier than in the books, but now it is obvious there will be an attack at the Dreadfort.

27. Cat
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Alfie’s acting has been top notch since season 2 when Theon really became a standalone character. His chapters are my favourites in the book and his portrayal of Reek with the dead eyed staring and the twitching is absolutely perfect.

Also yes: the website for devices is completely broken. I don’t mind highlighting for spoilers on my laptop but on my iPhone it cuts off half the screen, won’t load apoilers despite several clicking of “show spoilers” and is all blurry like it’s still half loading.

28. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

In addition, pertaining fake Arya, this storyline will likely live – but she’ll be barely a character. They’ll bring in some actress who can convey utter fright, who has dark hair, and that’ll be it. The rest of these machinations just aren’t necessary.

29. mariamb
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I can’t imagine that Yara will not attack the Dreadfort. That seemed to be her mission. If she was needed in Pyke (for the Kingsmoot or for some other reason), why have her leave in the first place?

30. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber:

….but they have already mentioned the Greyjoy “uncles” in the show.

I may be in the minority, but it would be a sad day indeed if Vic gets replaced by Yara and we don’t get the Shield island battle, the horn, Moqorro, the brotherly hatred and the dusky woman (!).

As we discussed many moons ago, I am sticking with the theory that Yara escapes from the Dreadfort/Moat Cailin battle and finds her way either to Winterfell or back to Pyke. As you mentioned, the Kingsmoot’s necessity is still a mystery though….maybe even a budget issue

31. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Any chance that Yara will take the Dreadfort while Roose is on his way to Winterfell and Ramsay over at Moat Cailin? The Dreadfort would replace Deepwood Motte. It would be a good way to cut down on the number of sets. Although Alfie seems to be saying he has scenes with her, so maybe not. Just spitballing.

I did send that e-mail, so hopefully if they weren’t aware of the issue, they are now and will fix it.

Off topic. Apparently wearing a GoT shirt is a threat now? http://gawker.com/professor-suspended-over-threatening-game-of-thrones-1564357810

32. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I agree

This change allows them to expand the Moat Cailin story into a full season arc for Reek and the Boltons. Instead of pointless torture, it gives us actually interesting developments. When you think about expanding the Moat Cailin incident, you instantly think about fleshing out the Ironborn. And that means you have to give them a face. Why create a new character when an old one can be used for the same purpose? Yara is just sitting on her ass in Deepwood or Pyke, why not use her instead? This was probably their thought process.

This is the more far fetching part: I think a far more logical explanation as to why they chose to do this is that they wanted to flesh her out and make her more likable before her role expands. They want to make us know her and remember, so that the shift to Iron Islands material in season 5 will be less jarring (it will follow an established character as opposed to a character that has disappeared since season 2 and that no one really cared about).

33. Ashara D
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Alfie is doing a good job so far with Reek. I’m really excited to see where the Greyjoy storyline will go going forward since it has swerved well away from the books at this point. I am really feeling like an Unsullied–how fun! I’m very interested to see what points get left in as important to the story as a whole. They’d be big clues to the story in the as-yet unreleased books. So excited for ep. 3!

WiC folks: the spoiler coding is not working for me either on Android or my laptop. Site layout is only a mess on my Android, however. Android users: if you have an accurate enough touch on your screen, you can get the spoilers to show by using a long touch on the spoiler. On the laptop, I just clicked with the mouse buttons.

34. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Cat: It’s very important to Reek’s storyline that he goes to Winterfell and makes peace with it and what he did to the Starks, so Alfie’s comment about Yara “saving him” concerns me somewhat.

It doesn’t say she saves him. It says she comes back “to” save him. Doesn’t mean she’s successful.

35. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I don’t know what’s wrong… It’s not showing spoilers on my iPhone

36. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

mariamb: I think that the Northern storylines will change considerably, including the Fake Arya nonsense. Roose and Ramsay know that Theon did not kill Bran and Rickon. That has to factor into this somewhere.

If anything that HEIGHTENS the need for fake Arya – Ramsey producing an heir would blunt some of the rights of a long-missing Bran/Rickon.

37. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

jentario,
    I like the way you worded that response. You made this story arc even more interesting. Thx!

38. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Not only can I not see spoilers, I can’t get the screen to go
    past a certain distance to the right. I only see half the website
    at any time. I can only read half of what is ever written. I’m on
    my phone, an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0, and this is just
    utterly broken for me now. I’m cutting off early each line as I
    post this because if the phone tilts to the right it won’t tilt
    back, whereas anywhere else on the page it simply won’t
    budge at all.

As I said, totally useless now, which is a damn crying shame
    given what time of year it is. I’ll check back periodically to see
    if it’s resolved, but it seems only I’m having issues this severe.

39. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

jentario,

Im one of the few that think we needed all those torture scenes. Shit i dont think it was enough. if we would of only had half of those torture scenes, as veiwer it would not be believable that theon is so broken that he becomes reek. that shaving scene wouldnt of worked.

I like the idea of them flushing out YARA this season so that the moot would work. I Think they need the iron island storyline. Im sure they could mash Euron and Vic together but i hope there two seperate new character. Im with the majority that think it would be okay if the damphair gets cut. unless he does some sweet ass shit coming up in the books he was worthless.

now what do you guys think about Roose sneaking into the North. Did he sneak past the neck or did he go by B.O.A.T.. are they never going to play up how essential the neck is and how hard it is to get to the north if that is blocked.

40. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor,

The different mobile/tablet version of the site is intentional. It is made to fit the screen so you don’t have to scroll over to the right. It doesn’t have all of the features that you see on the laptop version, but it gives you the articles and the comment section.

41. wizardeyes
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Ahh okay. That’s interesting. The way Roose gave Ramsay that job in the second episode implied that the Moat Cailin stuff would happening soon. (I also have no idea what’s going on with Locke joining the NW…) I hope we get more Roose/ Ramsay scenes.

42. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre:

43. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

FYI, I just sent a message to the WIC staff via the comments form with a simple suggestion on how they might fix their code to get the spoiler show/hide buttons to work. I agree, though, that they need to fully test any changes they make.

In addition, note that winteriscoming.net stores your spoiler display style preference in a cookie. Please check your browser settings to ensure that at this particular site is allow to store those on each of the devices you use to view the content. Most browsers permit cookies by default. However, enabling them is just a precondition. WIC must still fix the code on their end to fully resolve this issue.

44. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

It’s been like that for the past few days. Why is this only exploding now?

Anyway…The layout is fine on MY iPhone. The spoiler codes are the only problem for me.

Hodor’s Bastard,

You are welcome, have a cookie

And let me get on the bandwagon. Yara is absolutely NOT fake Arya! Seriously! Think for a moment. She’s twice as old as Arya, so she can’t be fake Arya. And if you suggest that they intend to scrap fake Arya altogether… why in god’s name do you presume that Yara of all people will marry Ramsay instead?! He gains nothing from it, certainly not the respect and loyalty of the Northern lords which is the whole point of fake Arya in the first place. And do you honestly believe that David and Dan, when brainstorming this change, thought “hmm, who should replace fake Arya? Yara, whose half a world away and would never, ever bow down to Ramsay! Of course!”. Like Greatjon said, you would have to break Yara down with torture far worse than what Theon had to suffer if you want her to become faithful to Ramsay. Just the thought of Theon saving Yara in season 5 is ridiculous, considering she is a far stronger character.

45. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

I agree with all of this. And, you may have missed it, but Roose explained in episode 2 that he had to sneak into the North without his full force because of the Ironborn at Moat Cailin. The whole point in taking Moat Cailin is freeing the Neck and allowing Bolton troops to move up North.

46. Don't care
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I agree. I think the purpose of Yara is to flesh out her character so the ironborn plotline has a recognizable face for the sullied.

47. crabber's son
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

What if yara comes to save theon but hes so afraid of disobeying Ramsay that he refuses to go or at least hesitates for too long and that basically causes the opportunity to slip away and yara has to try again but then finds out balon is dead and that euron took over and she has to make a choice between the iron islands and theon. She will probably blame herself for balons death because she disobeyed him and went to save theon so that could add some interesting character development. I think the kingsmoot and dorne should happen next season because out of the entire affc book they are the two most memorable things I can barely remember anythin else exciting happening with the exception of some jaime in riverlands moments and cersei getting in trouble.

48. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: nority, but it would be a sad day indeed if Vic gets replaced by Yara and we don’t get the Shield island battle, the horn, Moqorro, the brotherly hatred and the dusky woman (!).

Oh, I’m with you entirely. It’s just that in terms of name-checking, right now the Greyjoy Uncles haven’t been mentioned recently – whereas Doran Martell was name-checked twice in the last two episodes. So there’s that. Not that it won’t come up (and personally, were it me, I’d keep Victarion, keep the Shield Islands battle – or rather just cut it to about 45 seconds of Victarion storming the beach like a MoFo and bashing that dude’s head in), keep Moqorro, cut the dusky woman.

And the Kingsmoot really doesn’t need to be that expensive – it’s 3 main characters plus a bunch of extras and you can even shoot in the damned cave the BWB used – just add in water sounds of the sea outside of it.

49. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Roose did travel one heck of a long way in a short period of time, didn’t he? And he avoided Moat Cailin and Greywater Watch as well! Personally, I must suspend my disbelief. How big was Roose’s contingent to avoid being seen by the Greyjoys AND by the Crannogmen? Howland Reed, where are you?

They really didn’t say. It is possible he goes around it by boat and even avoids White Harbor as well, but the point – that he needs Moat Cailin – is still valid. How he would get through the bogs is a real odd one.

50. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

This. Three characters, one location. 10 minutes. I don’t see a budgetary issue, especially considering just how much they’re doing in season 4 (we’re seeing a lot of stuff that could have happened off screen or not at all, and season 5 won’t be as crazy as season 4 anyhow).

51. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

jentario: Let me propose a crazy idea: fake Arya is… Fake Arya! Yes, it is actually possible! Ramsay and Roose look for the first black haired Northern girl in the vicinity and announce that they have found Arya Stark. It is actually possible and it makes more sense than all the other theories. And this particular arc only needs to come in early in season 5- it really shouldn’t be a big surprise that we haven’t seen the seeds planted yet.

Well said. The primary motivation of D&D is often to heighten relationships between important characters at the expense of less important ones, i.e., plot devices, which is what Fake Arya is. So they can get a frightened looking 15-year-old and say she’s “Arya Stark,” and there we are.

52. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I understand that, but I can’t see half the content at all. It isn’t sized properly for me at all anymore (last week it was) so I couldn’t even reach the “reply/quote” section to properly cite you. In fact, I had to copy/paste what you said to me into a text message window in order to even read it.

Essentially, everything is like it’s too zoomed in now. Safari just doesn’t know what to do.

53. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

jentario: Was the Kingsmoot really in a cave though? I remember it being held on an island filled with Leviathan (whale?) bones… Wasn’t the whole ceremony by the sea? Not that this is particularly important, but it would be a cool image if the bones make it in as well.

Ah yeah, maybe I’m getting that wrong. You could have some great vistas on an island.

The huge challenge for Season 5 is that you’re going to have 12-13 storylines as many characters are way way spread out. So almost every episode is going to by nature have to focus on half the characters at best. Which to me is why you make Episode 1 of Season 5 a heavy focus on 3 things: Cersei “consolidating” her power by naming Qyburn the Master of Whisperers, Mace Tyrell as Hand, and maybe Gyles Rosby; 2nd, the Kingsmoot, and 3rd, the election of Jon Snow. So it’s a very “leadership” focused episode. And subsequent episodes can focus on the “people on boats or horses” story – Samwell, Arya, Tyrion, Brienne – and you do a lot of splitting that way.

54. wizardeyes
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

What and cut Harys Swyft!? Nooooooooooooo! But isn’t it a big part of Cersei’s arc that she doesn’t want Tyrells on the counsel? And then during her downfall when Kevan takes over he makes Mace the Hand.

55. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Yes, that’s where D&D’s nightmare comes from. It’s going to be a much more complex season for the viewer, if not for the production.

And, by the way, GRRM just released a sample of The World of Ice and Fire:

And here are some pretty amazing and SPOILERY(!!!) asoiaf drawings that I just came across:

56. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

Ah ok yeah. Well, then use Rosby maybe? Swyft is really non-descript, no? He’s barely a character. But I get your point re: Mace.

57. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

The first two episodes of this season have been really KL focused. The characters there have had room to breathe and mention set ups for next season. We’ve only had brief check in time with the other storylines. Hopefully when Yara comes back into the picture we’ll hear the names of Victarion and/or Euron.

58. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

jentario,
    Yeah, the 2013 calendar was the best one yet….very striking images. The 2014 one is a bit tame.

59. wizardeyes
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I think this whole season will be very Kings landing centric apart from episode 9. It’s where most of the characters are and where most of the big shit is going down. Season 5 will be more spread out I expect.

60. jentario
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Yep. I think if that doesn’t happen, that’s when we should start to worry. One name I really doubt we’ll hear is Aeron. I confess that I hate him. A lot. I really hope that he doesn’t have an important role going forward and that they can just ax him so that Vic and Euri have a chance. If Aeron is somehow (miraculously) important in a way that can’t be combined into other characters, I don’t see Victarion making it.

The fact that Doran and Myrcella have both been mentioned twice is really, really good news for Dorne fans. It confirms nothing, but it definitely opens up possibilities that would have seemed closed if the mentions weren’t there.

And as for season 4, yeah- we are getting quite a lot of King’s Landing, which was to be expected since we knew all along the wedding was going to be in episode 2 and it requires a lot of set up. I think episode 3 will similarly give us a lot of King’s Landing proper reactions from the characters, Tyrion imprisoned, Joffrey’s funeral, Jamie and Cersei banging on top of Joffrey’s corpse, Tyrion in his cell…. Maybe (hopefully) the mid season will have a little less King’s Landing…

61. Rabid Grunt
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I think, if anything, the addition of material for Yara this season proves the Greyjoy ark will stay mostly the same. Like Theon with season 3, they just need to make sure characters don’t disappear.

62. Rickard Greyjoy
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Pffft. Can’t cut the Damphair. Dude is badass. Don’t see Euron or Victarion drinking sea water. hehe

63. Marty
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

My PC was like that yesterday, but it’s ok today, weird.

64. Standozone
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if the spoiler tag will work…

Maybe Yara attacks the Dreadfort, and after Reek refuses to go with her she decides to leave to the Deepwood Motte mentioned in Season 2. There she learns from Victarion that her father has been murdered and that Moat Caillin is now in Bolton’s hands in the season finale.

65. Matt N
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Yeah can’t see spoilers on my iPhone even when trying to double click like I use to be able to or the show spoilers method. I really want to read the spoiler material being a book reader and all. This is weak roasted kid sauce.

66. MX
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I used to find Theon intensely cringe-worthy and annoying, and I was disgusted with the torture scenes – one or two, plus the fake escape, would have sufficed.

But Alfie Allen won me over, first with the insanity in his expression while destroying Winterfell, and then in the last episode as Reek — in the first instance, I wanted him to die a horrible but interesting death, in the second, I felt like holding him and stroking his hair!

In other words, great acting, particularly Alfie’s body language, some of the best on the show. I am looking forward to more of that, although the narrative arc is very painful.

As for fake Arya, I agree with the previous posters. They simply need any girl who faintly looks like a Stark. It would be a horrible idea to replace her with Yara, since it would distort the narrative and it would simply replicate Theon’s experience.

Yara is one of the strongest female characters in the story, brave and kindhearted underneath the scruffiness, and I hope they don’t crush her spirit. Also, I just realized that I do hope she is the one who eventually kills Ramsay.

As for the Greyjoy un-father named Balon, I’ll enjoy watching his demise.

67. Casso
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:05 am | Permalink

mariamb:

Ramsay knew that Theon didn’t kill Bran & Rickon in the books too (fake murdering them was actually Ramsay’s idea), so I’m not sure why that would factor into the changes. It’s entirely possible that they will change things considerably, but I hope they keep the Fake Arya storyline, at least in some form.

68. Kraken's Daughter
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

I will never marry the Bolton bastard. I already have a husband and a suckling babe.

69. Sergei Walankov
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:52 am | Permalink

On the top of the reasons everyone else didn’t like the Theon/Ramsay arc in season 3, I was dismayed because it felt like a missed opportunity. There hasn’t been a better plotline in the entire show than Theon’s arc in season 2, which was a tragedy in the best sense of the word. Furthermore, I could see how great Iwan Rheon was as Ramsay – the pork sausage scene in particular gets funnier very time I see it. Later I became aware that the underlying problem was the need to keep Theon’s story going while adapting a book from which he was absent. So I’ve been looking forward to the Boltons this season more than anything, and the Dreadford sequence from episode 2 didn’t disappoint. However, the opening scene felt gratuitous, given all we know about Ramsay already (except, I suppose, that we now know he has an equally psychotic girlfriend in tow).

70. CM Punk