George R.R. Martin releases sample from ‘The World of Ice and Fire’
By Lightbringer on in Books.

Today, George R.R. Martin published a new sample on his official website. Not quite as exciting as the previous sample from The Winds of Winter, but possibly the next best thing- a sample from the long awaited digest, The World of Ice and Fire, an official history of Westeros and the world of A Game of Thrones.

The new sample focuses on Aegon I Targaryen, the founder of the once ruling Targaryen dynasty of Westeros. Providing historical information on House Targaryen, and details on how Aegon conquered the Seven Kingdoms to be the one true king of a divided realm, this excerpt proves an interesting read for show and book lovers alike.

George R.R. Martin announced the completion of this world book in March, which has been many years in the making, giving it a tentative October 2014 release date. Intended as a companion to the Song of Ice and Fire novels, Martin says it will be a great coffee table book, heavily and lavishly illustrated.

Accompanying the sample is one of those lavish illustrations. As seen above, Aegon is pictured riding on the back of his dragon, Balerion the Black Dread.

1. Victoria
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Wow that’s a huge dragon, looks amazing!!

2. Chickenduck
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Can I get a comment in before someone yells Hodor?

What I’d like to see is a guide to the houses, including some of the details that never appear in the books… The words of House Frey for example.

3. Anonymous
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Who cares about an encyclopedia of something that is unfinished..

4. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

The Black Dread! Drogon can only dream…

Who was the lucky bloke who put armor on Balerion?

*chills*

5. Chickenduck
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

But more back story’s always welcome too!

6. Turri
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

If Drogon “Balerion reborn” gets only half as big as this, he’ll be “the Stallion who mounts the world” for sure.

7. Aldair
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

It’s a long way for Dany’s dragons to be as big as Balerion.

8. GeekFurious
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I love the back story stuff.

9. bob
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

He has a lot of side projects. Wonder how much it will cost. Love art books.

10. kyle
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Apparently those westeros.org people are co-writers of this thing.

Not terribly excited for some pseudo fan fiction.

11. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

kyle,

For someone who’s gone on record as DESPISING any sort of fan fiction or general meddling in his story from other people, I have to say I find the way GRRM handles these two to be pretty disappointing. The fact those coattail-riding frauds have any solid involvement in this book is beyond me.

Still, anything to add to the SoIaF collection is a welcome entry. Looks like an interesting book nonetheless. Now maybe he can speed up the writing on Winds? ..

12. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

kyle,

I’ll pretend I didn’t read that.

13. Atomix
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I read it and thought it was badass and well-written. As for calling it fanfiction. Fanfic isn’t Canon. This is Canonical collaboration with the Author. Its as legit as anything thats ever been.

14. Leo
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

How do I create spoiler tags now? “Code”? That doesn’t work when I preview it.

Posted April 17, 2014 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

I thought that sample was… surprisingly boring.

16. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Cool history bro. So what about the Winds of Winter GRRM?

17. GeekFurious
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    kyle,

It’s shocking how rife with ignorance this comment is.

18. Ashara D
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck:
    Can I get a comment in before someone yells Hodor?

What I’d like to see is a guide to the houses, including some of the details that never appear in the books…The words of House Frey for example.

Yes! I need info on the Daynes!

Also, I have to agree with Geek, as much as I dislike Linda, “curating” is not “writing.” A valuable reference direct from the author. WoW is next!

19. Mike Bolton
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

You’re a tool shed

20. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

This guy sounds like a toolbag lol

21. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I’d rather have the 6th book. But the excerpt was interesting. I think it’s funny how Targaryen history grows into legend over time. Almost makes me think that shot of the throne room in snow could be from the past. The castle could have been burned/damaged once by their dragons and history changed the story into myth because the Targaryens didn’t want to admit they couldn’t always control their dragons…almost hahaha. I know that’s pretty ridiculous. Anyway, ON WITH WINDS OF WINTER!

22. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

It’s shocking how you dismiss a valid comment by just claiming people are ignorant.

23. Michael
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Looks like Balerion got some good use out of the breastplate stretcher.

24. ATG
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:16 am | Permalink

This sample, I like it! Another! *Smashes monitor*

25. Shabadoo
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Is it me or is that a weird kind of small ironic world thing between Robert Batatheon and the either Rhaegar or Danty if you prefer?

26. Lady smallfoot
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Balereon is magnificently terrifying. He looks like he would devour half of the westerosi population for dinner.

Someone needs to hurry up and kill Dany’s dragons before it’s too late.
    Faceless men, get on it.

Make Bastards not Dragons

27. GeekFurious
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    GeekFurious,

How many accounts are you going to use under the same IP?

In any event, point out a single thing you said that isn’t conjecture and/or ignorant?

28. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 3:38 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Different people think you’re an idiot. How shocking. They must all be the same person because nobody can disagree with you.
    Paranoia is unbecoming.

Just go back to bed Elio.

29. Grey Ghost
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 3:56 am | Permalink

I’d rather have The Winds of Winter on my coffee table, but yeah this sounds nice. A must-buy once the story has been wrapped up & I know I’m happy with it.

Love that picture! Sometimes it feels like we joined this story far too late.

30. smitzz
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 4:04 am | Permalink

Dany’s Dragons are going to grow that big?

31. Ser Dosser
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Well ofcourse its unfinished. What ya think GRRM would just give out something finished?

He hasnt done that since Storm of swords.

32. jentario
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:03 am | Permalink

smitzz,

According to D&D, they will get to the same size as the skulls in the dungeons of the Red Keep from season 1. They are only slightly smaller than this.

33. House Mormont
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:14 am | Permalink

I like that it’s literally a complete parallel to Stannis, except that Stannis inspires no loyalty and doesn’t care about people

Parked on Dragonstone, the same houses sworn to him, two “wives”, magical fire power, takes over the Stormlands, lands on Blackwater….. except Stannis was a dick to the Stormlords and they jump ship and he loses… and Melisandre isn’t even as potent as she suggests… he’s just too much of an ego maniac to see it

34. jentario
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

The weirdest part is that Baratheons are apparently descendant from Targaryen bastards.

35. Chickenduck
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 6:10 am | Permalink

jentario:
    House Mormont,

How is that weird? That was already known from the books, I think it was mentioned in a Dunk and Egg installment (AND Robert, Stannis and Renly have a trueborn Targ grandmother anyway).

36. DavosFTW!
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 6:11 am | Permalink

jentario:
    House Mormont,

Not bastards, isn’t it Aegon’s daughter who married outside the family?

37. Chickenduck
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 7:26 am | Permalink

DavosFTW!: Not bastards, isn’t it Aegon’s daughter who married outside the family?

Orys Baratheon was (allegedly) Aegon the Conqueror’s bastard half-brother.

38. Jb
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Looks like a Michael Komarck painting. Can anyone confirm?

39. Vin Sidious
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 7:50 am | Permalink

I would like for the House Frey words to be: “The Crossing is Perilous.”

But these days, “Swinging Free” might be more appropriate.

I’m looking forward to WOIAF now; I thought it was going to be mainly maps and pictures and geography descriptions, but if we get this kind of historical backstory, I’m in!

40. Vin Sidious
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 7:55 am | Permalink

jentario,

Sort of makes one question why all those Baratheons were so “black of hair.” Baratheon seed stronger than Targaryen seed, eh?

41. DrNickVC
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

A great addition to the ASOIAF universe. There’s so much history that it’s great to see it fleshed out.

On another note it’s very disappointing to read some of the comments here. I think we can all agree that we’d rather be reading WoW but it’ll come in it’s own time. The ad hominems against Elio and Linda add nothing constructive to the discussion. If there’s flaws in their work, highlight and discuss it. Anything else just appears petty and vindictive.

42. Ser Pounce
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

DrNickVC,

Some people are tired of waiting for Winds of Winter while George is trying to force sell us stuff we don’t want to buy. I learned a bit about Aegons conquest by watching the history and lore dvd extras and wasn’t all that impressed. Stop being a tool and admit you want George to finish the fucking story.

43. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

Out of the two of you, DrNick is not the one being a tool. He already did say he’d prefer TWoW to this, he’s just willing to be patient. Why do you default to personal attacks?

And nobody is “forcing” anyone to buy this book. If you’re not interested in the history, don’t buy it. Fairly simple, yes?

44. Maturin
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Maybe I’ll buy it when the story is actually finished.

Seems kind of ass backwards to be firing something like this out into the marketplace right now.

Or maybe they can adapt this into season 6?

45. DopeyDragon
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

I want to buy it. I really want to learn more about stuff like the Faith Militant Uprising, and the reign of Viserys II, and house words and all of that cool stuff. As much as I like hearing about this stuff in the books proper, I’d rather get more plot ramping up than talk of more history. This is a way to get all of that fascinating history that isn’t relevant to ASOIF out there. We’re all very anxious to read The Winds of Winter, but don’t say that no one wants this when that’s obviously not true. But what do I know? I’m just a “tool”, right?

46. MountainThatRides
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Vin Sidious,

I think its been alluded that Targayen would be recessive to darker hair (Baratheon). Probably one of the reasons it was so important to keep the blood pure with marrying of siblings and the such.

Also to a lot of these other comments that seem to have anger towards this type of thing being created. First off, its not really fan fiction if its Martin and the two from westeros. If it was just the two from westeros than you would be correct. And its not even like they’re trying to write a novel or stuff like that. Its going to be like an encyclopedia of the world, which I find to be very cool and will buy as soon as possible.

47. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Leo,

Surround your spoiler text with the following (without spaces, which I’m using so you can see all the characters):

Less than symbol Letter b Greater than symbol text Less than symbol Forward slash Letter b Greater than symbol

Edited, it keeps getting rid of my spaces SO I put in the – symbol, just take that out and you will have the correct syntax

Edited AGAIN, stupid thing must have some kind of “cleaning” routine to get rid of any special characters. Jeez, okay, I will spell it out with full words.

48. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

In this sample release, did you guys notice the statement in regards to Aegon the Conqueror:

“He may have visited Lannisport as well; accounts differ.”

What do you want to bet that there is Targaryan blood in the Lannisters….fits right in with Joffrey’s nuttiness AND adds more fuel to my speculation that Tyrion will be one of the dragon riders. I have read speculation before that The Mad King may have raped Tywin’s wife and thus Tywin’s willingness to plot against the Mad King and his hatred of Tyrion (as if hating him for killing his wife in childbirth wasn’t enough). If one or both these stories are true, then Tyrion would have more Targaryan blood than any other Lannister. Remember Tyrion dreams of riding dragons, something only Targaryans are said to do. It’s slender proof I know but that’s my hope and I’m sticking to it.

49. Zeus
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Yawn, dragons. The dragons and the Targaeryns are some of the lamest parts of the books. Oooh some pretty blonde people riding dragons. Aren’t they special.

50. CM Punk
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The VFX crew will have their work cut out for them come season 6.

51. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Zeus,

I gained a greater appreciation for the Targaryens by reading the Dunk And Egg novellas and The Princess And The Queen. Targaryen history is fun to read about. Dany, not so much.

52. Turncloak
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

If the mad king raped Joanna Lannister than it’s more likely that Jaime and Cersei are Targaryens rather than Tyrion. The only account of possible rape we hear of is during Joanna’s bedding ceremony. As I doubt Joanna had Jaime and Cersei before she wed Tywin it’s more likely that the twins or Targs rather than Tyrion. Cersei’s madness and thrill at burning the tower of the hand plays well to this theory as well

53. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

DrNickVC:

Elio is a hack fraud riding the coattails of GRRM’s fame and Linda is the definition of poser who’s even admitted to not reading all the books cause they’re “too upsetting” or some other nonsense, while making herself the UTMOST EXPERT on all things GoT.

There you go. Truth hurts but so be it.

54. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Oh, darnit, I missed that detail. However it would be deliciously ironic if Tyrion was Tywin’s only trueborn son!

55. Tatters
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

Wow, the truth. Im rushed by the truth and only truth. I feel enlightened.

56. Hexonx
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Zeus,

Yawn. Zeus has the lamest comment on this board. Ooooh some Greek god doesn’t like dragons. Isn’t he special.

Btw, Targs aren’t blonde.

57. Tatters
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Its more fun to read about Targaryens with dragons than without. Just saying.

58. Zeus
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I read the Dunk and Egg series, didn’t find it very compelling. Princess and the Queen was an interesting read from a history perspective but it didn’t make me like the Targaeryans more. Actually quite the opposite, it made me realize that inbred megalomaniacs shouldn’t be given the keys to weapons of mass destruction.

59. gisizzlah
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

This isnt just about the Targaryens… it gives us insight of the state of Westeros when it was Seven separate kingdoms… that to me was most interesting….

60. Bard
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Not many new informations in that small piece.

61. smitzz
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

CM Punk:
    The VFX crew will have their work cut out for them come season 6.

Yeah that’s why I was surprised by how big the dragon looks in the picture , if they are that big in the show it’s going to be pretty epic season 6 and 7

62. Words of Winter
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Vin Sidious,

Vin Sidious:
    I would like for the House Frey words to be:“The Crossing is Perilous.”

But these days, “Swinging Free” might be more appropriate.

I think it should be “Til death do us Part” or “The Rabbits of the Riverlands.”

63. Words of Winter
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

It was written for nerds by nerds, especially nerds who love fake and pointless trivia. Yeah, I’ll probably buy it :)

64. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Words of Winter:
    It was written for nerds by nerds, especially nerds who love fake and pointless trivia.Yeah, I’ll probably buy it :)

eliosuckslindasuckselio|oileskcusadnilskcusoile

Still, I bet I get my copy of TWoI&F before you! :)

In the FAC drunkard toolbox, I am known as the socket wench.

65. Chickenduck
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

What’d be cool – some backstory on Ned’s mother.

In a series where everyone’s lineage is either described in detail or hotly debated, we never find out who Ned’s mother was, alone among all the major characters.

There are some interesting fan theories about her being from beyond the wall or other connections to the Stark kids’ powers. Like to know more…

66. Summer islander
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Bard:
    Not many new informations in that small piece.

Yeah … Isn’t this all verbatim from The Princess and the Queen?

67. HodorsBrotherHodor
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Wait so the conquest of the Seven Kingdoms was started because some declining Lord cut off the hands of a messenger? Did I miss something?