Looking Forward, Game of Thrones Ep. 403 and The God of Pies and Wine
By Oz of Thrones on in Editorial, Speculation.

Tyrion Arrest

Hello all good WiC Sers and Sultanas, and welcome to another edition of the in-season version of Looking Forward!

Hopefully, you all have had enough time to mourn the loss of your King and are prepared to forge ahead.  The God of Pies and Wine will show you no mercy, so cut a slice and hand over your goblet.  Surely you know by now, all men must serve… dessert.

If there is such a God of Pie and Wine, the diety was not watching over Joff on his day of matrimony.

The way I see it, this post and the ensuing weekend discussion could go one of two ways… we could continue our infinite discussion on the potential who and why.  Or, we could look forward to other events that might be taking place in the episode to come.  My choice would be the latter, but you guys run this joint, so a man will defer to your judgment.

Regardless, this is not a place for SPOILERS.  So, just don’t do it.  Not even a subtle hint.  A man (and the mods, especially Fury) thanks you in advance.

The only addition I will make to our early week discussion of the suspects and the timely (or un, depending on your POV) death of King Crossbow is this:

On the third viewing of the purple reception, something did jump out at me as being, well, suspect.  This occurrence is quite faint and leaves a lot to be desired.  But it does open the door to whom, after a couple of days of pondering, might be the guilty party.

That being said, there is a hole in my theory and so to avoid looking more of an idiot than already conceded, I shall keep said theory to oneself.  For isn’t it “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt”?

Should we choose to skip the sleuthing and the impressions of Sherlock for this round, than the next question apparent would be, when will the show reveal the true culprit?

This won’t make you feel better:

When I was a wee-bitty child (partial Oz age reveal here), there was a huge television travesty that occurred where a mystery person shot J.R. Ewing from the show, Dallas.  If you were too young to remember it, or perhaps not even born at the time, the resulting campaign was a cash cow for CBS.

I was too young to know what the hell was going on or who Larry Hagman was.  But I distinctly recall a bevy of t-shirts throughout my small town that either said “Who Shot J.R.?” or the more popular, look-at-me version that stated “I Shot J.R.”.

This campaign would have made a ton of money on the popularity alone.  But when the show and CBS didn’t reveal the shooter for a full 8 months after the fact, it became an obsession.

CBS was not totally at fault for the long delay (although it was planned to be answered in the following season).  Hagman held out for a raise.  And SAG went on strike.  And 8 months after the shooting, the “Who Done It” episode aired to approximately 83 million viewers, which was the highest-rated television episode in the U.S. at the time.

I say all of this to say that I do NOT believe that the show runners of GoT will make us wait until next Season for the answer of who poisoned Joff, but my money is that we will not be given a definitive answer this week or next.  If in fact we are made to wait until S5 for the true explanation in-show, I have reserved the rights to the t-shirt asking “Who off’ed Joff?”  (copyright pending).  Who wants one???

What we do know is who currently holds the blame…

Episode 403, Breaker of Chains

Tyrion is in a mess, to put it lightly.  The only way I see him coming out of it is if the true assassin comes forth or is discovered.   And what are the odds of that?

The justice system doesn’t seem to be very fair and balanced in Westeros (or many other places in the real world for that matter).  A fair trial seems unlikely and besides, almost everyone that matters witnessed the festivities.  Another interesting aspect is who if anyone will stand by him during this ordeal?  Maybe his gold-handed brother?

On a related note, did Shae actually make it out of town?  Inquiring minds…

And what will become of the planned wedding between Cersei and Loras?  Jaime is somehow convinced it will never happen, but I wonder if Tywin will put a rush on the plan now that Marg and Joff are permanently off.  Will Marg marry Tommen now?  Tune in tomorrow for another episode of As The Westeros Turns.

Stannis: Another Unsullied mentioned to me that he felt like Stannis was beginning to have doubts in Melisandre, which I found quite curious.  To me, he has gone all-in with Red Velvet in allowing his brother-in-law to be burned at the stake.   And now, another leeched usurper is dead.

When will they start their trek North?  Speaking of…

The Thenns look like they see some action if you watched the ep. preview which means that business may be picking up at the Wall very soon.  Any possibility of a Mance citing this week?

Potentially the most important aspect of the show has once again been overshadowed by events at a wedding.  Bran had what seemed to be a very important vision and now knows where he and the new folk band, Hodor and the Reeds, need to go.  I wish I knew.

Their future destination has made me think about the visions at the Weirwood tree almost as much as I’ve thought about the death of Joff because I think that at some point in this tale, it will prove to be a hell of a lot more important.

The visions bounce back and forth between the past and the future; the raven underneath Winterfell; Ned sharpening Ice which no longer exists; then Ned in the dungeon; the tree standing alone; the little girl Wight from the very beginning of the series; the murder of crows; the snowy throne room; the dead horse; then back to the fall of Bran accompanied by the voice of Cersei; the dragon flying over KL; and then one last look at the tree, all while the voice says “Look for me, beneath the tree.  North.”  Beyond the visions, I’ve also been attempting to decipher whose voice that could be.  Maybe Benjen?  Did he share some of the same powers that Bran has?

I would really like to see more of his story arc sooner than later and learn more about it, but I have a feeling we won’t this episode because…

Dany and the Jedi arrive in Meereen (or at least it looks that way in the preview).  Out of all of the story lines that are active in GoT, Dany’s interests me the least.  I think Emilia does a wonderful job of her portrayal, and anyone who reads my posts regularly know that I am Team Jorah without fail.  But the freeing of the slave cities seems repetitive.  However, I am optimistic that this encounter at Meereen will re-spark an interest in Khaleesi (and pessimism is a bad habit anyway).

It looks like we will be given another chapter of The Stark and the Hound which is fine by me.  The most unlikely duo of Westeros has also become the most entertaining (what the fuck’s a Lommy?).  And since the Hound mentioned her in Ep. 1, could the duo possibly be going to see…

AUNT LYSA???

Ok, listen.  This shit is getting serious now.

In last week’s Looking Forward, I mentioned forgiveness for the Lysa no-show in Ep. 1, but warned serious repercussions if she did not show up in Ep. 2.

I’m willing to overlook since the end of Ep. 2 included such a historic incident.  But come on…

I realize my obsession with Lysa is strange and eccentric, and there may not be many that share the same connection I have with Lady Arryn.  But almost everyone wants to see Littlefinger. Yes? Almost everyone wants to see if Robin has been weaned off of the bewb.  No?

And adding insult to bewbie injury, reportedly some scenes at the Vale were filmed last year and were not included in S3 possibly due to time constraints.

So can we go to The Vale please?  Breast feeding boys unite!

That concludes this installment of Wishing Away the Weekend with Oz.  Tell me what you guys are looking forward to for the next ep. and if you celebrate Easter, then Happy Easter and here’s hoping your eggs are filled with chocolate dragons.  But please, no spoiled eggs in the comment basket.

I am relatively new to twitter, so if you would like to join me, I can be followed  @ozofthrones.

I’ll catch you guys early Monday morning in U.S. time with an all-new Unsullied Recap.

Until then, have a safe weekend, and may there always be peace in your realm.  –Oz

SPOILER NOTE:  PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF NON-BOOK READERS AND DO NOT POST SPOILERS IN THIS COMMENT SECTION.

1. cosca
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Davos

2. Ashara D
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

OZ! Once again, very entertaining. Put me in for one of those t-shirts. Enjoy your Easter fun with Ozette and the Ozlings!

Thanks for your vigilance, Fury.

3. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Ashara D: What part of NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD don’t you get? Post that stuff in another thread!

Yes this, please.

4. John
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

3 comments, 2 used spoiler tags.
    Great job at respecting Oz’ whishes guys!

Edit: Ours is the Fury was faster. But still…

@ Oz:
    I really do think that your Lisa obsession is strange – what does Ozette think of you that you are so fond of the lady and the breast-feeding boy? ;-)

5. Victor Hugo Gil Alejandria
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I just remember a quote of the first season “Poison is the weapon of women, cowards and eunucs”, so, as I see it I think one of these women is the killer, Margaery Tyrell, Sansa Stark (I doubt it, but you never know), Olenna Tyrell. And know… I remember, there is the coward of the beginning of the third season (I think) he appears during the death of Joffrey asking Sansa to leave with him. He can be the killer too…

6. Bannerless Bro
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Damn the new Kingsguard armor looks awful.

7. Marcin Bartnicki
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Victor Hugo Gil Alejandria:
    I just remember a quote of the first season “Poison is the weapon of women, cowards and eunucs”, so, as I see it I think one of these women is the killer, Margaery Tyrell, Sansa Stark (I doubt it, but you never know),Olenna Tyrell. And know… I remember, there is the coward of the beginning of the third season (I think) he appears during the death of Joffrey asking Sansa to leave with him. He can be the killer too…

That being said, the show is notorious for averting the tropes, so it might be just a way to toy with the viewers.

8. Reeks gift
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

The mobile version is not centered!!

9. Slayjoy
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

What’s with the obsession with Lysa? She hasn’t been on the show since season 1 and even then only 2 (or 3) episodes.

10. Littlebird
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

This is the post that I had been waiting all the week, amazing how always Oz, I want to see lady Arryn too =)

11. Dillan
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

As for me, at first I was suspecting Oberyn but then all that Dontos stuff came to my head and I think in this case there is something about him. Or maybe he’s just a piece and someone truly influent is responsible of Joff’s death. Like Littlefinger or Melisandre or that old uncle of Cat.
    What do you think about The Wall stuff OZ as it looks like we’ll see more of Jon and Sam in next episode?

12. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Oz, you have reached the echelon of revered posters where you have attracted all sorts of denizens of the dark void. It seems like it has become a game to see who can post spoilers or provide enhanced background info first in your threads before experiencing the enthralling wrath of OitF. In a strange way, Oz, it is an honor. Carry on and enjoy your zeitgeist! :)

Regarding your zeal for breastfeeding….three cheers for the original source of food and grog!

13. Monica
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I just hope it’s the same boy. “I want to see the bad man fly!” Milk was still at the corners of his mouth. Wonderful stuff.

I want the t-shirt.

Your analysis is great. Share your thoughts on who done it!

14. Jack
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for bringing back the Archives List at the bottom right side of this website. I like comparing the number of blogs posted per month based on the show’s popularity.

15. Soopa Doop
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Yes !!! Happy Oz mentioned Bran’s vision. I’m totally pulling for Benjen to be the one talking to Bran. I just want the Season 1 loose threads to start being tied up. It’s Uncle Benjen’s condition and Jon Arryn’s killer I want revealed. I’m hoping recent events at King’s Landing lead to the reveal of the killer since he/she caused these chain of events.

I also agree that they won’t reveal who killed Joffrey next episode, but I think they may strike while the iron is hot and do it this season. Maybe build it throughout the next 4 episodes then reveal.

As for Lysa, I’m curious as to what role she’ll play and how Baelish may manipulate the situation for his benefit. I feel for the child actor if Robin is still on the breast, but I wonder how seriously Lysa can be taken if she had another kid. Just imagine two kids breast feeding on the throne while she’s ordering bannermen around. Can’t wait for Baelish just for the jokes he’s capable of making towards the family.

16. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Last week’s Team Dragonstone scenes didn’t have nearly enough Davos. Hopefully he’ll have more lines in the upcoming episode. Liam Cunningham is one of the most charming of the cast members IMO.

It goes without saying – but I’m saying it anyway. I can’t wait to see some more of the adventures of Pony Girl and Chicken Eater. What snark will we hear from them next?

17. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

cosca,

18. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Annnnd again things that require reminding: book readers, do not clarify things for the Unsullied at all.

19. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Spoilers… King Hodor and Queen Strong Belwas claim the iron throne and name coldhands as their hand of the king

20. Turncloak
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

They can’t seem to help themselves. Geez

21. Darkstar
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

As a bookie,I cannot comment other than to say that I enjoy reading Oz’s posts. Gawd, it must be very difficult to remain Unsullied with some of the jerks around the interwebs.

The picture with this post reminds me of how odd I thought it was the way they grabbed Tyrion upon Cersei’s order. It was done so daintily. I would have liked to have them grab him a little more roughly, as that would have seemed more realistic to me.

22. Turncloak
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I too want to see Lysa Arryn Oz! And Littlefinger 2!

Can’t wait for tomorrow

23. Mariya Martell
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I’m willing to overlook since the end of Ep. 2 included such a historic incident. But come on…

The problem is you promised repercussions and you didn’t deliver. Now, no one takes your threats seriously and we will never visit The Vale ever again. Have you learned nothing from Lord Tywin?

24. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

The problem is that book readers think some things are completely obvious or might have already been covered on the show, but they either actually weren’t, or those details would have been overlooked most likely if the viewer hadn’t read the books.

25. GeekFurious
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones! Oz of Thrones! Oz of Thrones!

As for those “clarifying” things, let the unsullied experience the show the way you experienced the books. Or, if you haven’t read the books, let the unsullied experience the show the way you clearly don’t want to.

I see people saying “They changed this in the show because in the book…” and then a few episodes later, they do that scene and you just spoiled them (one of my favs, CBG19, spoiled the Arya/Hound fight we saw in 4.01, during a season 3 recap video, because she thought they replaced it with the moment Arya stabs the guy who helped put the direwolves head on Robb’s body).

Unless you are specifically asked, don’t try to illuminate their understanding of what is happening. And especially not using material from the books that haven’t been touched on in the show, because they may eventually cover it.

An example of that is that many of the GOT recap makers long ago spoiled the Red Viper’s revelation as to why he wants revenge. That should have been revealed naturally to the unsullied, via the show. Why did they reveal it? Well, in discussions with unsullied on those shows, they used back story as a way to assist in clearing up confusion. But D&D apparently WANTED that confusion to exist for some time.

Therefor, anything you reveal to an unsullied, not already in the show, is a spoiler. And revealing something you THINK was already in the show but wasn’t, is a spoiler. At least go back to an episode and see if it was revealed before saying it was.

Thanks.

26. Mariya Martell
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:
    Marcin Bartnicki,

Are you sure about that? Margaery was only married to Joffrey for a New York minute, but she was married to him. Even an unconsummated marriage cannot be annulled after one party has died. Thus, purely as a matter of law, isn’t it Margaery’s turn to be queen dowager and hence, queen regent until Tommen comes of age?

Of course, in theory, there is no difference between the law and real life. In practice, there is.

27. Mariya Martell
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:
    Oz of Thrones! Oz of Thrones! Oz of Thrones!

Thanks.

28. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I like reading the comments on these posts and laughing inside at how naive you guys are… You sweet summer children, what do you know about winter…?

29. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

Oh they used his nickname in the official casting announcement made via Entertainment Weekly, from the very beginning. I think we can let this one slide. :)

30. Alan Lovejoy
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Perhaps we should dub her “Arya Snark” :=)

31. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Dragonreborn, take the hint and stop posting casting spoilers. I agree they’re mild but if an Unsullied complains about it, that’s enough for me.

Oz has spoiled nothing. He’s saying he hopes to see a character and nothing more.

I can’t reword this in another way to make it clearer- book readers, for the most part need to stay out. It’s usually very easy for a mod to ascertain whether a commenter has read the books or not. Compliment Oz on his awesome post, or even comment on what you’d love to see him cover next time (in a vague way)- and leave it at that. Book reader commentary can’t happen in these posts. People who repeatedly ignore mod instructions in this regard may face banning. Please abide by the restrictions. These are the only posts where we ask this of commenters, and I think that isn’t too much to ask.

32. DeadWalker10
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Mariya Martell,

33. dragonreborn
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Please stop treating me like I am an idiot who enjoys spoiling unsullied. My comment did not have any spoilers. I won’t stop until you admit what I wrote was already announced in a wic news title.

34. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

D,

D:
    Nagga’s Kin,

No, because she’s not related to Tommen, whereas Cersei is.

Margaery and Tommen aren’t blood relatives, but she is (was?) his sister-in-law.

I’ve done some more digging on this. As it turns out, in medieval England at least, it was apparently up to the title holder to decree during his lifetime who would act as regent if he was no longer able to perform his duties before the heir apparent came of age, itself a somewhat nebulous concept back then. Absent such a decree, the person in line to become regent was undefined and had to be sorted out by the bereaved family. The only exception was that a spouse would automatically act as regent while the title holder was alive but away, e.g. off fighting a war. In 1689, parliament transferred the right to decide matters of regency to itself, which it subsequently did by passing specific laws on an ad-hoc basis. In practice, they always chose a close relative.

Westeros doesn’t have a parliament. IIRC, Robert handed Ned a decree on his deathbed in the show, though I cannot remember if he named him regent in that. It was and is a bit of a moot point since Cersei had him locked up for treason when he challenged the legitimacy of Joffrey’s parentage soon afterwards. From that point on, she asserted a right to act as regent which no-one challenged until Joffrey emancipated himself from her after a public spat in which she slapped him. On second thoughts, I suppose his defiance began with Ned’s execution against her will.

We never saw Joffrey issuing a decree regarding any regency to address the theoretical possibility that he might himself become unable to rule before Tommen came of age. No-one, not even the dynastically minded Tywin or Varys, ever even raised the topic. Thus, Cersei and Margaery could end up staking competing claims to the title of queen regent. If so, I’d expect both Tywin and the QoT to enter the fray as well. This could get deliciously messy!

35. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

Mariya Martell: Does a marriage count if it hasn’t been consummated yet? Or rather, can it be easily annulled? I’m thinking of Margaery’s and Renly’s marriage here. I don’t remember what happened, I’m currently doing a rewatch, but still on season 1.

The laws of Westeros haven’t been properly explained in the show, so in truth we can only guess what they might be from real-world legal systems. AFAIK, a marriage can only be annulled as long as both parties are alive and even then, only in specific circumstances such as a forced wedding, bigamy by one or both parties, adultery or lack of consummation. Not always easy to prove! Modern no-fault divorces were invented to avoid the need to air a lot of dirty laundry in court. However, those apply only to the secular part of marriage. The Catholic church, for example, has no concept of divorce but annulment is possible. In the middle ages, of course, the concept of marriage was not split into secular and sectarian components.

Margaery was able to remarry without an annulment because Renly had died.

36. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Dragon, Unsullied complained about it being in this thread. That was enough for deletion. Respect that, and move on.

DeadWalker10: So why was my comment deleted? If one person can reiterate an official HBO casting announcement posted on this site why can’t others?

It was a facetious comment. A nickname is not worth a heart attack.

37. King of the Ashes
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

…… the whole obsession with Lyssa thing is just … weird. …. kind of unsettling and disturbing. i don’t get it

38. D
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

This whole spoiler thing seems to be getting a bit out of hand. What worries me are the two pretty obvious spoilers that have been snuck in earlier on in the thread. No one seems to have picked up on them yet though. Fury?

39. DeadWalker10
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

It was a facetious comment. A nickname is not worth a heart attack.

Fair enough, but isn’t it a bit ridiculous that a person that considers official HBO casting announcements (that have been out for months) as spoilers is perusing and commenting on a website dedicated to posting that information?? Just my two cents, but if you are THAT dedicated to being spoiler free you should probably stay off this site and any others that have dedicated sections like EW.com

40. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, those were not official casting announcements. I discovered those cast members returning, and posted them here, several months ago, so they were low-key mentions, not on EW like Oberyn’s casting was. Unsullied are less likely to remember and place any significance on some returning cast members. So while the posts may have happened, a reader shouldn’t be bringing them up in an Unsullied post. If an Unsullied did, well it is what it is.

I only see one spoiler that probably should have been deleted earlier. That one I just got rid of. The other one, with spoiler coding left on it, is actually a joke and not a spoiler at all.

41. David The Grey
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Oz, there is always one gem that gets me laughing more than the rest, and this week it was:

“the new folk band, Hodor and the Reeds”

Thanks as always for the laughs!

42. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I think D means [redacted]

43. GeekFurious
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell: HA! You just spoiled something there. It hasn’t been said in the show what Prince Oberyn’s nickname is.

44. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Troublesome Birdsong:
    Ours is the Fury,

I think D means redacted

Unsullied speculation is not a spoiler, even if it’s a decent guess. Can’t delete an Unsullied’s post for getting something right here and there.

Let’s kill that conversation right there, folks. Too many Sullied commenters posting in here, and we’re going to wind up spoiling people if people keep elaborating on what they think was spoiled.

Bottom line: if you’ve read the books? minimal commenting. this is Unsullied safe space.

And as always- commenters are not permitted to use multiple screennames here, for trolling purposes. Just an FYI.

45. Phat Walda
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I don’t care much about Lysa, but I want little finger back. He hasn’t been in the show since the Climb,right? That’s way too long…

46. jentario
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Happy to see a lot of Unsullied commenting here. Don’t disappear next week! We won’t hurt you (in these Unsullied threads at least)

47. Tabes
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Hats off to you Oz and the mods. It’s awesome the lengths you guys go to allow a spoiler-free forum for Unsullied to discuss the show. It’s one of the many great things about GOT, it goes beyond just watching the show. Reading the Unsullied thoughts and speculation on whats to come is one of my favorite things to do. So thank you and keep up the good work!!!

48. Tabes
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

King of the Ashes,

It’s just his sense of humor. And his sense of humor is of the highest order imo. Plus Lysa is a straight fox

49. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Hey guys! Sorry I’m late to the party.

So now I’m wondering what the hell I got right. Of course, please don’t reveal the answer. But I am glad that on occasion I get relatively close to a target. If you shoot enough arrows…

I knew the term Red Viper before I knew Oberyn, but by accident only. However, the relevance of the nickname is still a mystery other than the guy seems astonishingly quick (Lannister soldier hand in Ep. 1).

And the Lysa obsession is weird. Agreed. Ozzette only understands because she is forced to live with me. Poor girl.

Glad you all enjoyed the post. Fury is sending me dirty emails so, mission accomplished!

J/K. Please no spoilers on this one.

50. Dragonslayer
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Good job @ the mod who deleted the post wich tried to spoil half of season 4. I hope no Unsullied saw it.

It’s sad that I have to say that first before I can thank Oz for another post filled with fun Unsullied speculation and weird Lysa obsession.

51. Enfield
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

There is a serious character flaw for people who try to spoil things for others. That’s the kind of person that would rat on their friends. Good job deleting it quickly.

Also I’m looking forward to more of these posts. I’d agree that Dany’s storyline is the draggiest of the bunch, but based on the trailers it will get more interesting soon.

52. Amanda M
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Another good post! I always find myself thinking “I wonder how Oz will react when X happens” and it’s always very entertaining :P

Also glad you share my dislike of Daenerys! The first season (and book) I thought she was cool, and felt bad for her. Then it all just went downhill and now I just feel bored whenever she’s onscreen hahaha. My dad has actually started referring to her as “Abraham Lincoln” and refuses to call her anything else hahaha

53. House Mormont
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

If Yara Greyjoy isn’t in the next episode I’ll be angry, I mean I know she’s sailing around 80% of the continent’s circumference, but I wanna see her!

54. House Mormont
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

astapor was amazing, it had a purpose… now it’s like she just tootles down the road and’s like “yeah i guess I’ll take that one too”

55. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I think certain hosts of certain podcasts partnered with certain websites need to be told this…

Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Really, people. It’s not that hard. This is the ONLY post that you simply shouldn’t comment in with anything contentful if you have read the books. Do that in any number of other post, we’ll be glad of it, just not here. It’s a straightforward policy.

57. MUGger
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Mance citing? Very probable – he gets discussed often by the Wildlings, & much of that discussion revolves around what he will or will not approve of.

Mance sighting? I think it’s still too early.

58. Lisa Y.
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

John:
    3 comments, 2 used spoiler tags.
    Great job at respecting Oz’ whishes guys!

Edit: Ours is the Fury was faster. But still…

@ Oz:

“Lisa obsession”? What’d I miss now? ;)

I hate to say it, but I’m in agreement with you, Oz, regarding the storyline of our favorite Khaleesi (okay, she’s our only Khaleesi). Dani can take a seat for a few episodes, because the storylines going on at the Red Keep, the Wall, and beyond with Bran, are holding a far greater grip on my fevered imagination than dear Khaleesi’s. Of course, that can change at anytime in the future. As Game of Thrones is fond of reminding us, anything can happen, and to anyone.

59. Mariya Martell
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: Technically, yes. You are right, though it is already part of the common knowledge of the unsullied due to casting calls spoiling it, and it becoming big news. That’s unfortunate. The fact that I freely use it now is part of the problem. We’ve already spoiled a cool reveal. Even though it has little to no impact on the story, it is still something we should have allowed the unsullied to discover on their own.

I was being tongue-in-cheek with that comment. And I agree with you. It’s weird that they released that nickname in the first place and then don’t bother explaining it. Though nothing says they can’t still do it. Worse even was that other casting I won’t mention…

60. Dwarf-lover
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF TYEY’RE NOT BROADCASTING EPISODE 3 THIS SUNDAY ? HBO CANADA LISTING DOESN’T SHOW ANYTHING ON GOT …

61. Stella
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Great job, as always, Oz! You are a wonderful writer with a great sense of humor (Hodor and the Reeds–yes!) and a keen eye for what the show is actually showing you, as an Unsullied.

I am Sullied, but I watch the show only with Unsullied, so I know how to keep my mouth shut. I do occasionally gasp, though, and then leave the room so no one knows what I am gasping about…

I forced us all to watch the end of the Episode 2: the Purple Wedding twice just to see if anyone could grasp all of the action being presented. No one did. I left it at that. GRRM was offering some stuff for Sullied and other stuff for Unsullied. I appreciate his efforts.

About Daenerys:

She is on a journey. At the beginning, with the Dothraki, she gained her “freedom” and her dragons. At Qarth, she acquired Barristan Selmy and a new understanding of her powers. At Astapor, she found her army, the Unsullied ;-). At Yunkai, she discovered the Second Sons and Daario Naharis. She is growing and learning and becoming who she was meant to be, it seems to me. Now, at Mereen, what will she find? In the previews we have seen, she seems to see that she needs to learn HOW TO RULE. Another step in her long journey. Journeys require patience, dedication, and attention. Otherwise, they are just vacations. LOL

Thanks for these great previews and recaps for the Unsullied viewers amongst us, Oz. You are the best feature at WiC, I think.

62. Mike Bolton
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Hodor

63. Soopa Doop
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Apologies if this has been established before, but are the extras on the blu rays of the seasons cool to discuss here even if they haven’t been talked about on the show? The extras have obviously been authorized by the show runners to be included in the sets if anyone, including Unsullied want to see, but I know not everyone watches them. They don’t reveal plot lines, but they do provide geography of the world and family histories that show watchers wouldn’t know.

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but with this extra info from the releases, I could provide info to other Unsullied that the show hasn’t shown.

Basically, can extras from DVDs be used for clarification purposes and speculation or can things be explained strictly using what has aired on TV?

64. wizardeyes
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

I’ve read the books. Multiple times. Sue me.

65. Asa
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Please, share you theory! Israelis have a rather different saying about speaking up, which I much prefer: “They who ask look foolish for a moment, they who do not stay foolish forever.”

Or, in this case, until the show tells us the answer. But what’s the fun of being Unsullied if you’re not going to play the guessing game?

66. Patchy Face
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Interesting – still love Dany…but know quite a few book readers that find her boring too… Well, everyone has their favorites

67. Lundy
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Personally I’d love to hear Oz’s theory on whodunit. Methinks regular writers to WiC shouldn’t de allowed to hide their theories from us. After all the Sullied need a little fun too. Haha. :)

And I’m only sullied because I had the fortune of discovering the first book back in 1996. Joy and torture both.

68. Dominique Lavigne
    Posted April 19, 2014 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks to OITF for keeping her calm and helping out the very difficult moderation of volatile commenting

69. Kay
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 1:47 am | Permalink

As an Unsullied, I am enjoying these a great deal! Thank you. I wish you had shared your guesses about the Whodunit mystery. On rewatches, the physical distances between tables and such, puzzle me a great deal.

It also surprises me no end how many Sullied read and comment here. I hope by some future season, everyone will be Unsullied.

I always look forward to Daenerys’ story, in the hopes of a glimpse or two of Drogon. The story I find the sloggiest is Dragonstone and Stannis and Ms. Crazy Priestess. I like Davos, and I wish he could be separated from the rest of the Dragonstone people and transported to Essos to join up with Daenery’s group. With Shireen too.

70. dragonreborn
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 4:31 am | Permalink

SHK12344,

wow! my comments were deleted for 10% of what you wrote!

71. Mariya Martell
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Dwarf-lover:

It would have taken you less time to google that than to ask here. But yes, there will be an episode released today.

72. wizardeyes
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

She probably hasn’t even reached the Dornish coast yet! You would think it would be quicker and easier to sail for the main-land then go to Iron Born occupated Moat Cailin then head North to the Dreadfort. But then you know how strong willed Asha is – there’s no reasoning with her.

73. Benjen
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

As a book reader, asking all of my unsullied friends who their favourite characters are, almost all say Tyrion and Daenerys.
    I’d have to strongly disagree on the Dany part as I too (with Oz) find her story terribly boring, to date.

74. Words of Winter
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Benjen,

Agreed. Oz was spot on, imho, when he said the sacking of Mereen seemed repetitive. OK she sacked Astapor and then Yunkay, now Mereen. Really?! Is she going to hopscotch around the continent sacking cities and freeing slaves? Hopefully that is not the end all be all of her story line. Hopefully it is eventful and meaningful, but come on, Westeros is calling for Fire and Blood. Get to Westeros already!!!

75. The Pointy End
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

If I was unsullied and religiously invested in this show, I would like to be able to think that nothing lacks purpose, so as to not diss Dani’s storyline as being boring, or slow, or repetitive. After all she’s the cool chick with dragons and a killer (sic) army! As a religiously invested reader that is exactly how I was thinking, aSoIaF is amazing, nothing is boring, everything has its purpose. So let’s chill and enjoy everything, I saw catapults in the preview so maybe today’s episode will feature a less boring Dani. Though seriously I never get bored of her. Bored of her idiot brother? Yes I was. Eager to see him get his crown? Yes I was! But seriously how can you guys ever get bored of Danaerys the unburnt, mother of dragons and breaker of chains? Really hope I’m not spoiling anything as I like to participate in your discussions.

76. HODOR is the new Shakespeare
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Tabes:

I second that! And to all those complaining about what they can’t post, let’s all abide by the “your roof, your rules” maxim of Westeros

77. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

The Pointy End,

I fully believe there is a purpose. Dany’s story line has not progressed as fast as I originally thought it would when the show began. The other side of that is how quickly things change and how fast events unfold in Westeros. In comparison, Dany’s journey seems to lag at times.

But as I said in the post, I am optimistic. The preview does look good.