David Benioff previews Daenerys’ Meereen Throne Room
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

We last left Daenerys looking down at the freshly sieged city of Meereen, which would normally mean she’s ready to continue on her way to Westeros. But standing atop a great pyramid with the Targaryen flag flying high, it looks like she’s going to stay a while.

If Daenerys is going to rule the city of Meereen, she’s going to need a throne room fit for their Mhysa. We won’t get to see that throne room for another two weeks, but Entertainment Weekly has and exclusive picture preview and some words from David Benioff describing Dany’s new digs.

Benioff says that Production Designer Deborah Riley outdid herself on the pyramid’s interior sets, garnering reactions out of even the most experienced crew.

“It was maybe the the biggest challenge [production designer] Deborah Riley faced and was probably the [set] we were most nervous about… She designed both the audience chamber, where it’s a grand room where Dany sits on her bench, and her personal quarters at top of the pyramid — they’re just gorgeous. Incredibly experienced crew people were gasping.”

He also says that although more things are being done with CG, they chose to create these lavishly huge sets in their entirety.

“As much as we have an incredible [special effects] team, the best in the world, and we rely on them for so many things, for the actors there’s something different about walking into a real environment and being in a room that has the power you’re trying to convey. It’s almost like the way cathedrals were designed to create awe…you walk inside and that’s a religious experience — because you’ve never seen anything like this.”

For the full article visit Entertainment Weekly.

1. Rafael
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Night’s King!

2. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Rafael,

King Yogurtface, you mean. We really don’t know if the Night’s King slip up was actually based on reality and not some deranged theory of the HBO employee that placed it. It’s certainly interesting, but I’d opt to ignore it until there is an actual hint that it is true.

3. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I’ll add that unless that recap was written by D&D or BC, or GRRM I won’t take it seriously because we shouldn’t expect some random dude to know more than us.

4. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Rafael,

Gonna need some confirmation on King Yogurtface before I stop calling him Albino Maul.

5. intothevoid
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

inb4 the inevitable morons bitching about Dany’s “boring” Meereen storyline.

6. Nick_Scryer
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Really amazing set! Can’t wait to see Dany’s personal quarters, I’m sure Daario agrees.

Off topic: Anyone know when the track list will be revealed for this years soundtrack? I remember the last two years it was revealed before the end of the season giving us a nice few hints as to what would happen.

7. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

intothevoid,

I did not hate Daenerys in ADWD. There.

8. Andy Smith
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Rafael,

The ice sculptors who did the ice henge thing called him the king of the white walkers on their blog and that was written on the 25th so that’s 2 sources linked to the episode that call him the ‘king’ and I’d guess they could have picked that name up while they were on set for filming , just a theory .

9. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

I haven’t even heard any new tracks. We’re four episodes into the season and I think the only new thing I’ve heard was a little jingle for Oberyn.

10. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor,

Albino Maul works too. But I won’t call him that until GRRM confirms that ASOIAF is a Star Wars fanfic. For now, it’s King Yogurtface. Actually, that works as a username.

11. Locke's beard
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I like how they’ve invigorated Bran’s storyline, and have high hopes they can do the same for Dany.

12. King Yogurtface
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Andy Smith,

“King” is not “Night’s King”. Very different things actually.

13. Clark Frye
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

So, that photo of Dany’s throne room…a peasant with a raggedy cloth bundle in front of her…might we be seeing some bones this season?

14. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Clark Frye:

Seems that way. They practically show the attack in the trailers.

15. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    Nick_Scryer,

I’ve definitely heard some new music. I love the soundtrack thus far this year.

16. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Jeff O’Connor,

Yeah, that’s fair.

17. Andrew
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Lena Headey has finally commented on, ahem, The Scene.

Honestly, much as I wish we could all just move on from this topic, I think Lena’s opinions on the subject probably merit a post, yes?

18. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

OMG does this mean that we are in for an entire season 5 of Daenerys sitting in Mereen doing nothing?

19. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

She will be going through ADWD in season 4 and 5. I would hardly call it “nothing”.

20. Leo
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

I hope she flies off by midseason. The only essential material after she chains her dragons is marrying Hizdahr and the pits.

The Qarth chapter, Quaithe, the pale mare chapter .. cut. You can have her spurn Quentyn or just have him try to steal the dragons after she’s gone. Either way, Dorne will be pissed with Dany for having him die in her city. Heck, they can save CGI budget by just having him get roasted in the Battle of Meereen.

Episodes 5-8 can be Barristan’s coup & Dany’s Dothraki adventures. E9 Battle of Meereen.

21. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

About season 4…

The production quality this season is absolutely mind boggling. That set is amazing, the CGI is amazing (those dragons, those backgrounds). The writing is great too, the directing better than ever (especially in episodes 1 & 4 IMO, but obviously 2 as well).

Also, fucking love Kit Harrington now. And Emilia is good as usual. And Peter and the Lannisters too (and Brienne!). In terms of acting… Could this season be yet another step up from season 3?

I think it’s safe to say that this is (or will be) the best GoT season yet. Unless they monumentally fuck something up in one of the last episodes.

22. Turncloak
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Apparently GRRM gave AngryGameofThrones fan a huge book spoiler. No fare!!! NOONEUNDERSTAAANDS!!!

23. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Leo,

You are forgetting that Tyrion needs to get half way around the world and participate in these events. It’s not like there’s much to cut from his arc (for all the bitching about turtles, it sets up a lot of things: the Varys/Illyrio alliance, Aegon and JonCon, Moqorro, Tyrion becoming a slave is important for his character development and finally maneuvering himself into a power position in Meereen. I’d much rather just see less Dany in season 5 and end with the Daznak Pit, that way nothing gets rushed.

24. jentario
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I think I know what it is. We all do. It’s the one thing that Martin already gave away, the one obvious thing.

25. Veltigar
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Turncloak,

Jon’s parentage or his inevitable return in tWOW?

You were the Chosen One! You were meant to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

26. Sid
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

which is? spoiler tag it up and lets discuss

27. Leo
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I’ve never really been concerned with the travel times in the show. i.e. Bran spent a whole season from WF to The Wall, Littlefinger, Cat goes from Winterfell to KL in 1-2 episodes? and at this rate, Stannis will take ~2 episodes to go from Braavos to The Wall. (for reference, Braavos seems to line up next to The Vale)

Tyrion’s arc does worry me. He still got the most screentime in Season 3 somehow and will get a lot in Season 4 although he’s spending 7 episodes in a jail cell. So I don’t see it going down in Season 5.

28. Greenjones
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Leo,

BTW, who has the most screentime in S4 so far? Has anyone calculated it? My guess would be Jaime at the moment.

29. mal
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

6 more episodes, does anyone know how many episodes does Dany appear? I could look it up, but I’m lazy

30. Turncloak
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Turncloak,

Right the spoiler obviously is that Euron is actually Mads Mikkelson in disguise

31. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:

Oh g-d this again. Next year, DVR it and fast-forward it.

32. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

jentario: get half way around the world and participate in these events. It’s not like there’s much to cut from his arc (for all the bitching about turtles, it sets up a lot of things: the Varys/Illyrio alliance, Aegon and JonCon, Moqorro, T

I”m with you on this.

My totally random off the wall theory for Season 5/6/thereafter:

Strong Belwas is cast (it’s a maybe 2-3 episode appearance), and JonCon is cut.

33. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

GRRM doesn’t write his chapters in chronological order and apparently Dany’s timeline is ahead of everyone else’s. That means it isn’t a problem if the show condenses Meereen a bit and gets into TWOW material next season. It does mean Tyrion’s timeline will have to sped up, but since some of his material in ADWD was too slow, that would be fine with me.

34. We do not Hodor
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Where is Dany’s crown?

35. House Mormont
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink
  36. Boojam
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Dany gets a throne room , but does Dany ever get a crown?

Was hoping her mother’s would turn up, a neat surprise!

37. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

We do not Hodor,

The same place as Stannis’ and Robb’s.

38. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

One more totally random thought. When explaining how Olenna seduced Luthor (who later became her husband), she says he was engaged to her sister, “your great aunt Violet.”

Given all of the talk about how Olenna is pretty much “The Dowager Countess of Westeros,” think that was an intentional nod to the commonalities many saw between her and Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey? If so, it’s cute.

39. JoffreyTrueKing
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Glad I was not the only one who thought that!

40. WompWomp
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:

I support most of the show’s decisions, but I have to hand it to AngryGoTFan. He’s simply the most consistent and persistent funnyman in the fandom, and you have to admire his encyclopedic knowledge of the material. That Tumblr post and the sheer timeliness of his Tweets during airtime suggest most or all of his hilariously overblown nitpicks are culled from a great familiarity with the details. GoT humor is still largely hit or miss, but AngryGoTFan is a fixed point, and I’m glad he’s out there.

I also see him as a comedic foil to some of the more humorless book adherents out there. It’s clear AngryGoTFan has a great passion for the material, but in crying the loudest over the liberties taken by the show, he gives us plenty to laugh about.

41. jentario
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 1:53 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

The only way to do that is if Dorne and/or the Iron Islands are cut. You would need a LOT of Tyrion screentime. As in, twice as much as any other character. Which isn’t very good in my opinion. Also, rushing through the Griffs will be bad considering how important they are in the future.

At the very “best”, It’d be something like this:
    -Episode 1: Pentos
    -Episode 2: introduction to the Griffs
    -Episode 3: the Sorrows and Aegon reveal
    -Episode 4: Tyrion convinces Aegon to go to Westeros and gets captured by Jorah
    -Episode 5: Tyrion and Jorah get on Moqorro’s ship, the ship gets captured by slavers
    -Episode 6: they arrive at Meereen, are sold in the auction block and meet their new masters
    -Episode 7: the Daznak Pit and the lead-up to it
    -Episode 8: Barristan’s coop and Quentyn freeing the dragons while Tyrion worms himself into a power position, Dany meets the Dothraki
    -Episode 9: the lead up to the battle and the battle itself, perhaps intercutting with Dany doing whatever she needs to do with the Dothraki
    -Episode 10: post battle, Dany returns and they decide to set off to Meereen

But that means Tyrion appears in EVERY EPISODE. This wouldn’t help other characters and their storylines. I’d rather have the battle outside Winterfell in season 5 and Meereen in early season 6 (episode 3?), with the rest of Dany’s TWOW arc a bit rushed.

42. Ser Dosser
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 2:35 am | Permalink

-Episode 10: post battle, Dany returns and they decide to set off to Meereen

Great idea, have her go back to Meereen ! *rolleyes*

Just great, hey on that note why not go back to Yunkai, Astapor, Quarth…. have her backtrack her path all the way to Pentos.

43. NYI
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Ser Dosser: -Episode 10: post battle, Dany returns and they decide to set off to Meereen

“To go forward you must go back.”

44. jentario
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Ser Dosser,

oops, meant Westeros

45. cosca
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 7:23 am | Permalink

mal,

She’s confirmed for 5, 6, 7 and 10, and she’s most likely in 8 as well.

46. Turncloak
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

WompWomp: I hope he keeps it to himself. His willingness to share with even a single soul had me raising an eyebrow.

I hope he tells me the spoiler ;p. I won’t tell any1 >:-)

47. loody
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

the picture above ^ ?

is this when the shepherd came complaining about how Drogon burnt his child ?

48. jentario
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

mal,

8 is the usual for Dany and I don’t think season 4 will break that mold. Maybe season 5 will.

49. loody
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

but we saw on the trailers some short scene when Drogon was flying near a few running sheeps and a man