Game of Owns: Oathkeepers
By WiC Staff on in Podcast.

Episode 215 – Oathkeepers

iTunes | Download | RSS

Friday returns with another episode destined for a closer look at the latest Game of Thrones that blew the listener community’s collective minds.

Discussion Topics

Eric meets Theon, the worlds rejoice
GOO’s first live show, this month
Jojen Reed
The madness at Craster’s
What does this really tell us?
Petyr’s plot
The Queen of Bond
Cersei and Margaery
Looking forward
Podrienne

1. Winter is not coming
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Night King!

2. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Honor!

3. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks doods! I’m nomming podcasts like crazy atm and yours are ma joint fave. I need them, they distract me from reading/listening/watching more more more. Is nice to listen to your guys thoughts. (Kate is awesome addition btw)

Been kinda sad this week. The viewer in me has just watched 4 really good eps. But the reader is worn out from seeing and reading the r word, annoyed by the shite at craster’s keep thats apparently better than having more character development and conversation (bran, john, sam, offscreen, wtf) which is where this show excels. And effing coldhands ffs! And Strong B! And lotsa other stuff. D: Yeah there’s always been changes and well chosen ones too. But not atm. I’m worried but also aware I could just go MEH if they really start laming it up.

We shall see.

The second half of ASOS is probably the most exciting and awesome rollercoaster read I’ve ever had. And if they mess it up I will lose all respect for the show. My favourite effing show.

As for Craster’s sons I cool with that. Was surprised to see it so soon, and like many in The Realm, I never really believed the old tales :o

Can’t wait for Monday…

4. Darkstar
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Just a test. I have net been able to post here for several days

5. Chickenduck
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Grey Ghost:

Belwas.

Regards the show, I freaking loved 404. Possibly my favourite ep so far, for the simple reason that I had no idea what was going to happen. I finished the episode blown away by the suspense of the WW baby scene, and jealous of the Unsullied who got to be shocked by the RW and Joff’s death.

Regards omissions, some readers think Belwas matters. To me, he really, really doesn’t.

What everyone would say about this pidgin-talking, bellt-slapping He-Man sidekick stereotype?

For me, he’s an example of where book fans need to stop and re-evaluate whether everything in the bookd is a) necessary or b) even particularly good.

6. zod
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 4:27 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: Can you imagine if he wasn’t in the books and D&D had invented him for the show?

This. So much this.

7. Annara Snow
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: Regards the show, I freaking loved 404.Possibly my favourite ep so far, for the simple reason that I had no idea what was going to happen.I finished the episode blown away by the suspense of the WW baby scene, and jealous of the Unsullied who got to be shocked by the RW and Joff’s death.

Regards omissions, some readers think Belwas matters.To me, he really, really doesn’t.

I always thought he was a ridiculous caricature of a character, and I was really relieved that he was cut (no pun intended) from the show.

I have many criticisms of the show, but that was one of the changes/omissions I was really happy about.

8. CONFIRMED
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

This episode confirms that Benjen is NOT Coldhands.

9. Edddd
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

“at least now we know he’s not eating it (the baby); they’re doing something useful with it”
    oh thank god! i’m sure the baby is thrilled! lol

10. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

I’m not gonna get into a discussion about personal preferences. That’s all the internet is. Just an endless round of opinion tennis and I got bored of it YEARS AGO.

I began this show as unsullied. I enjoyed it very much and had zero faith in humanity not spoiling me so spent the last two years reading. Now, as a fully sullied viewer, I can see the quality of the translation (from book to screen) getting poorer.

I say this as a viewer primarily. So don’t throw that ‘book reader’ shite at me.

I could come up with better solutions than the show makers have. And I don’t understand why people keep making excuses for them. Idgaf if ppl dislike a particular character and therefore accept their removal. The story should be as close to the books as they can get!

And if you are forced to remove stuff (which I accept), then don’t replace it with shite!

Episode 404 is the first episode since the show’s beginning that I haven’t rewatched as yet. Usually I’d have watched it 3 or 4 times this week.

*sigh*

11. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Strong Belwas >>> A miscast and Westernised Daario

12. Roger König
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

i just noticed, how great the scene with the targaryen flag is.. for some months now i am doing a re-read (although with the audiobooks) and at once during the sack of astapor-phase, dany thinks that she should have had a banner (or flag, since i am german and the audiobooks are german, i am not sure about the translation there). just awesome, that in mereen she has one.

ps. i just thought the flag looked a bit cheap cgi, but in hd it looks better maybe ^^

13. Lavignac
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I have a very positive impression of GOO’s content, but I want to address a technical issue.

The audio recording “volume” level is
    1- generally low (I have to run the volume much higher than for regular professional talk-radio podcasts)
    2- quite different from one host to another (for example, to properly hear some of the guys I have to turn volume up so that Kate’s volume is deafening)
    3- and recently, very different from episode to episode (I really had to crank the volume WAY high for episode 214, but back to average usual for 215)

Taken together, those issues make it a frustrating experience to listen to GOO in my car, where the ambient noise level requires a stable and high audio recording volume for a satisfying listening.

I understand that the GOO crew might not have access to professional equipment and editing services, but I would like to nudge the show’s artisans to see if anything can be done about it. Perhaps consider adjusting mouth-to-microphone distance, or general voice level used by the hosts? Otherwise, maybe some reasonably affordable equipment or software solution can improve the situation? I am no technical expert, I cannot point to the specific mechanism… But I respectfully ask GOO to have a new look at that old problem to improve the show’s quality and enjoyment.