Casting Season 5: Griff
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting, Speculation.
Griff

Art by Filipe Ferreira

After this week’s episode, season four will officially be halfway over. With that in mind and season five (and six!) renewal already in place, it’s time to start speculating about the casting of characters we’ll likely see next year. And to kick things off, we’ll start with Griff.

Griff is a tough Westerosi sellsword and attentive father of a young man that readers first encounter in A Dance with Dragons. He’s described as clean-shaven and leathery with wrinkles at the corners of his ice-blue eyes. Father and son both dye their hair blue in the Tyroshi fashion, though Griff’s roots and eyebrows show as red. His age is not specifically stated, but given the events of the books we can estimate he’s at least forty. In ADWD, Griff accompanies a major character on an eventful journey, and we learn there’s more to the gruff soldier than meets the eye.

Let’s take a look at some possibilities and fan favorites for the part:

Kevin McKiddKevin McKidd – The Scottish actor, best known for starring on Grey’s Anatomy and HBO’s Rome, is a longtime fan favorite for the role. He’s appeared in films such as Hannibal Rising, Trainspotting, Topsy-Turvy, and Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, and lent his voice to Brave. He seems like a great match for part, but with his significant commitment to Grey’s Anatomy, it’s unlikely McKidd will have the time for GoT. Though GA hasn’t been officially renewed yet for season 11, it’s expected any day now, and the filming would overlap with GOT‘s, taking McKidd out of the running.

Ben DanielsBen Daniels – Daniels is a familiar face on British television, and has amassed an impressive body of work with regular roles on Law and Order UK, The Paradise, Cutting It, and The Virgin Queen. He played Fumm in last year’s Jack the Giant Slayer, so there’s a Nina Gold casting connection. Recently he’s made his presence more known in the US with a turn on House of Cards as Adam Galloway. He’s joined Starz’s new ballet drama Flesh and Bone, which is currently shooting and unlikely to interfere with GoT‘s filming schedule. Beyond that, it looks like Daniels is available and would be a good fit for Griff.

Tony CurranTony Curran – Another Scot and fan favorite, recently he’s been co-starring in the Syfy channel series Defiance. Curran is no stranger to science fiction and fantasy in general, having acted in movies and programs such as Doctor Who, Thor: The Dark World, Underworld: Evolution, The 13th Warrior, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Blade II.  He’s got the right look and the experience for the role, and he’s had guest shots on two HBO shows, Boardwalk Empire and Luck. Perhaps it’s time for a more long-running part on an HBO show?

Jason IsaacsJason Isaacs – Isaacs is most famous for his role in the Harry Potter franchise as the nasty Lucius Malfoy, and for playing other villainous parts such as Colonel Tavington in The Patriot and Captain Hook in Peter Pan. He also starred in a variety of TV shows, including Case Histories, Awake, The State Within, and Brotherhood and he’ll be portraying Roman Castevet in the new miniseries remake of Rosemary’s Baby. Isaacs is fantastic at playing tough guys with intelligence and complexity. With several projects in production this year, however, his plate may be too full for him to consider taking on GoT.

sean harrisSean Harris – The English actor is best known for playing the assassin Micheletto on the Showtime series, The Borgias. He’s made a name for himself in the UK with his performances in the Red Riding trilogy, as Ian Curtis in 24 Hour Party People, and with his currently BAFTA-nominated part in Southcliffe. He’ll be playing Macduff in the new film version of Macbeth opposite Michael Fassbender in the title role. Harris certainly has the skill to bring Griff to life, and his intensity would work very well with the cagey character.

What do you think of these choices? Do you have any favorites or fantasy picks of your own? Who do you think the focus of our next casting speculation post should be? Sound off in the comments below!

NOTE: Please cover all your spoiler discussion in comments, including using the spoilerish names of characters that have not yet been introduced. Thanks!

1. Carne
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

McKidd is my first pick. Hadn’t thought about Sean Harris for this role, but I like it :)

Ah, I can already smell casting season. Looking forward to more of these!

2. Jake
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd for Griff, Ray Stevenson for Victarion.

3. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

McKidd’s great but he’s a virtual impossibility. He’s almost everyone’s first pick but Grey’s Anatomy is a huge time commitment- 22 episodes per year and it films around the same time as GoT.

4. Eddard Stark II
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Out of the listed above i’d go with Isaacs, but if i had it my way i’d like to see David Thewlis in the part.

5. GeekFurious
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t considered Sean Harris but now that I think about it… he’d be great.

6. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

FYI: please take the note at the bottom of the post seriously, about not posting spoilerish names and stuff. Anything from that storyline in ADWD is a spoiler. I don’t want to have to edit spoiler coding into like every post. Thanks. :)

7. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Actors with the right look left off the list: Damian Lewis, Hugh Laurie, Eric Stolz.

I don’t endorse any particular actor and would be fine with someone I’ve never heard of.

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Damien Lewis is deliberately left off. He is booked to high heaven this year. It’s really not going to happen, in my opinion. And I’d already given one spot on the list to someone who was booked up.

9. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Good to know. I was too lazy to check IMDB.

10. KG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Issacs is too good of an actor for such a “meh” part. I’d like to see him on the show eventually, though.

11. KG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Also, that’s pretty terrible art. His arms like like toothpicks and that’s with full armor on!

12. Daniel
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I hope gruff’so storyline (and for that matter, everyone’s story lines) are more interesting in the show than in the books…

13. Kingslayer
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Andrew Tiernan: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0862907/

or

David Wenham (Faramir from LOTR): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920992/

14. Our Blades Are Sharp
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I like Mckidd or Harris for Griff

Victarion- Ray Stevenson

Euron- James Purefoy. Madds isn’t leaving Hannibal anytime soon

By the way, red riding trilogy was excellent!

15. KG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Daniel,

It would be difficult for them NOT to.

16. Kingslayer
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp,

No chance of Purefoy being on the show atm. He’s the lead on The Following. Can’t do two big shows at once.

17. Hey
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Hmm not sure there will be Griff and Young Griff and all this plot, this could be removed from the serie because it will be quite complex to introduce them. D&D already have an ending, their own ending, it’d be possible that the others Greyjoy don’t appear too. It’d be quite disapointing… I think that it will be hard for the producers to introduce all these characters at the same time, spectators will be confused.

18. Ashara D
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Kingslayer,

Oooo! He looks good in the 300 stills. Thanks!

I was not a fan of Tony Curran’s villain in Defiance. Too whiney. I see Griff as bigger. A well-trained swordsman with a face lined withsorrow.

19. Eddard Stark II
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp,

Dominic West – Euron Greyjoy
    Liam Neeson (Never gonna happen) – Victarion Greyjoy

20. pat kenney
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

David Wilmot possibility for Griff

21. Ashara D
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

REALLY need that edit button back…sorry for the spacing issue.

22. Jillybean
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a huge crush on Jason Isaacs. Actually, my husband has more than a passing resemblance. I’d like to see him play…. anybody, really.
    David Thewlis is an interesting suggestion. He’s also in Macbeth. I don’t see him as Griff, but would love to see him in the cast somewhere.

Do you think you’ll do one of these for Doran Martell? Or do you think that whole sequence will be cut? I hope not.

23. Renly's Peach
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Jake:
    Kevin McKidd for Griff, Ray Stevenson for Victarion.

There is literally no other right answer than this one.

24. Kyrion
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Awwww…Damien Lewis is my top choice, loved him in Band of Brothers….dammit.

25. Andy Smith
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

If they choose Sean Harris they need to work on his voice acting , There have been a crapload of complaints about him mumbling so badly that you could literally not understand a word he was saying in BBC’s Jamaica Inn recently .

26. Arkash
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

David Tennant could be great as Griff. Out of his usual acting range but I think he could pull it off !

27. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

And suddenly I am in S5 mode! We’re one degree of separation away from Septa Lemore! Happy prance! Anyone feel like swimming with turtles?

For Griff, I’d prefer an middle-aged, slightly-graying unknown actor with deep, tired eyes.

28. Victoria
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I love Ben Daniels, he’d be splendid and Isaacs would be pretty cool too.

29. Locke's beard
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

I like Sean Harris but I think he might be a tad young for Griff.

30. Ryan
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd would be my first choice. But Sean Harris would be excellent as well.

31. GG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd :O I didn’t even think of it until you said it. That would be GREAT :D He could do it. If they keep the bit with Magister Illyrio, Griff would only be in 5-ish episodes next season. With his love interest in GA leaving at the end of this season, he won’t have many stories/scenes to film. They could let him off GA for a month or so to film GoT. It depends on how adamant D&D are with keeping the show Tyrion-centric next season. I agree though. It’s unlikely :(

32. Atomix
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

My first pick is Matthew Macfadyen

Right down to his Red Beard

33. GG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

And Jason Isaacs would be a much better fit for a Greyjoy IMO :/

34. wizardeyes
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Wow is it that time of year again already? I remember the one of these for Oberyn Martell like it was yesterday…

Well McKidd is the obvious choice but I doubt he’ll be in it. I don’t want Sean Harris anywhere near game of thrones – I think Tony Curran or Ben Daniels would be pretty cool.

Who else is gonna get a speculation casting post? Wyman Manderly? Doran, Arianne, Young Griff, High Sparrow ??

35. Valaquen
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve always wanted McKidd for the role. He’d be ideal, though Sean Harris would make for a fine substitute. Hopefully McKidd’s link to Nina Gold (who also cast Rome) will get him closer to GoT.

36. GG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Lol As the only female in the group, she’s a lot more likely to get in that Griff other comrades. Let’s just hope they don’t shack her up with Griff.

37. wizardeyes
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

GG,

Yeah, isn’t it quite heavily implied that he was in love with Rhaegar?

38. Chris Beasley
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Jake,

YES. Ray Stevenson needs to be Victarion. I can’t wait to see his helm too.

39. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Like I was saying on Twitter, this year it’s interesting, contemplating who to do these posts for. Because we don’t know yet where they’re going to make cuts in the adaptation for next year, or if we’ll see either/both of the Greyjoy uncles, or Doran Martell. I don’t think they can cut Griff or Young Griff, since that storyline seems to be gearing up pretty big, and really they can’t cut everything.

wizardeyes,
    Yeah he was definitely gay. GRRM confirmed that.

40. Dani
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Kingslayer,

I like the idea of David Whenham. He’s got a weariness about him that I have always thought Griff would have in his face. Like he’s exhausted by the burden he carries.

41. king tyrion
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

McKidd will never do it, quote

“I’d never do it. Because they stole our fucking show.”- Kevin McKidd

42. WinterRy71
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd looks too much like Bronn

43. Deathdreams
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I think I’d be perfect to play the halfmaester, but I am biased.

44. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

king tyrion,

They both later denied the hell out of that. It was pretty funny. Personally, I think they were both having a few pints somewhere and talking trash, and McKidd never anticipated Purefoy would shoot off his mouth in an interview.

45. JamesL
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I doubt this character will even be in the show. We will get some more Martells next year and maybe a Greyjoy but that’s probably it.

46. Broken Wolf
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

We already know who’ll play Wyman Manderly. Brian Blessed. :)

47. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

I see 8-9 2nd/3rd tier characters dying this season….they have room for the Griffs, Greyjoys and Martells!

Ygritte
    Mountain?
    Hound?
    Mance?
    Yara?

48. serum
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd is my #1 but I like the Tony Curran option, I also think David Wenham could pull it off!

49. RoastMeMoSnakz
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Not going to be a big name just like the Beric cast and Blue hair? all the blue budget is going towards Danys dresses so that’s not going to happen. Richard Dormer will be recasted hey it worked with Tommen so why not try it again.

50. Dani
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

I think it makes a lot more sense to keep Griff and his storyline since it intersects with a major character than to keep the Greyjoys who, so far, don’t intersect with anyone.

51. GG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I’d say it’s more than heavily implied. Which would be why it’d be such a travesty to shack him up with Lemore(then again, it seems they’re contemplating shacking Oberyn up with Loras and that’s a b***hslap to canon if ever I saw one so who knows? Travesty may be what they’re aiming for)

52. Dornishman
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Gay men play gay men better than straight men do, and Ben Daniel’s is an exceptional actor, so he gets my pick.

53. GG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Dornishman,

-_- Really? Neil Patrick Harris had zero difficulty playing a straight man on HIMYM. I see no difficulty why straight men would find it so hard to act gay. It’s not like they’re going to give him a sex scene. Rhaegar’s dead & didn’t play for his team anyway.

54. House Mormont
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Hey,

I don’t think they can just cut Aegon Targaryen, bearing in mind he’s been here a book which is half a book and he’s already broken an alliance with Dany taken the Stormlands and is about to secure an alliance with Dorne and possibly take King’s Landing

55. Polish
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Griff would only be part of Tyrion’s story, anyway. He wouldn’t need any extra screen time. The Jorah to Tyrion’s Dany, essentially. Tyrion is going to need some companions on his little tour of Essos. That’s why I think he won’t be cut. The real question is if Varys will be going along with Tyrion, taking a season off, or doing something completely new

56. Patchy Face
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Hadn’t thought of it before, but really like the idea of Hugh Laurie, Any chance at all?

57. The Bastard
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

It will be interesting to see which characters even make it into next season. The cast is already too big. We don’t even see each main character every episode. If they followed the books completely, it could be a complete cluster to get the entire story told.

My guess is that they will have to eliminate at least one entire story line. Perhaps even two. And I don’t mind it. I feel like the show will suffer if they try to push it too much.

58. House Mormont
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Dornishman,

that’s the most ignorant thing i’ve ever heard, and it’s not like joncon is camp either so you really don’t even nearly have a point

59. MM
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

This list is mostly redheaded actors, but who’s to say the actor cast will even be a redhead? Tobias Menzie (Edmure) wasn’t, and there was a much stronger argument for casting a redhead for Edmure (red Tully hair) than there would be for casting a redhead for Griff.

60. GeekFurious
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Daniel:

61. Jackol
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Griff – Tony Curran looks good to me for the role.

On other season 5 casting:
    I’d say Doran is a certainty - the Martell storyline segues from the Mountain/Red Viper fight and the ramifications of that. How many of the other Dornish we get is debatable, but Doran is central to that entire storyline.

High Sparrow is a certainty - the shifting politics of Kings Landing is largely driven by the quite interesting religious shift and Cersei’s foolish attempt to make use of the “fundamentalist/fanatic” movement. Margaery/Cersei book plot won’t make sense without the sparrows and the High Sparrow. And walk-of-shame. Which I think was basically confirmed to be coming by Lena Headey.

Wyman Manderly I can only hope. Personally I think they’ve left his introduction too late. They should have introduced him as a fat unreliable buffoon early on and then basically forgotten him for a couple of seasons – as in the books. He could be cut with massive restructuring of the Northern campaign and story, but it would be a very great shame if they were to do that in my opinion. The Northern story in the books is basically anchored around Manderly and his honour, loyalty to the Starks and ultimately his deviousness and courage in the face of the Freys and the Boltons. That’s already been devalued since we won’t have the superficial early dismissal from everyone’s thoughts.

Greyjoys – Victarion is presumably in. Euron, Aeron, the rest of the Iron Islanders – who knows. I think (and hope in a way) they cut everyone but Victarion. Maybe combining Euron and Victarion is a possibility, but it of course depends on what GRRM is planning for the dynamic between the two. Victarion is portrayed as being motivated in large part by the conflict between him and Euron, and Euron is “king” and Victarion is not, so it might be difficult to rework that in a single character, although fundamentally Victarion and Euron are both hard sons-of-bitches who aren’t really developed very well as characters, and from a storytelling point of view having both taking up screen time seems of little value. But then I don’t have much time for that whole storyline.

Kindly man – surely a certainty. Arya’s story can’t change too much, and she will have to be leaving for Braavos at the end of S4 surely.

Waif – probably cut IMO or reduced to ‘extra’ status.

62. spacechampion
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Crackpot theory: Euron Greyjoy is in disguise as Daario.

63. Harry Lime
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

David Wenham is my choice. I also considered Marton Csokas, but I think he would make a better Euron.

64. house snow
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Would be pretty shocked if he was not cut. Pretty much everything he has said so far could be relayed by someone else like barristan

65. House Mormont
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

house snow,

except Barristan is with Dany, and then rules Meereen when she leaves
    Without Jon Connington, Aegon doesn’t wouldn’t have a mentor or a figure to play off once Tyrion leaves, unless you want someone less relevant like the half maester?
    Oh and Griff brings live Greyscale to Westeros

66. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Fans are always in a rush to cut material but the show hasn’t cut that many major characters. They have to fill the next few seasons with something. After Tyrion leaves KL, he has to occupy his time with something. And the Aegon reveal is too juicy, even if he turns out to be a fake. I’m more worried about losing Dorne.

67. Jillybean
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

That’s a valid point. I hope you are correct!

68. House Mormont
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

even if we lose Dorne, we still get three Martells outside of it

is it really worth the large introductory screentime for Queenmaker?

69. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

MM: This list is mostly redheaded actors, but who’s to say the actor cast will even be a redhead?

I’ll crosspost what I said on tumblr: you know, I went around various websites looking for fan ideas, even tumblr, for casting for Griff to be democratic and everyone had the same four ideas. Except I didn’t bother adding Damien Lewis to the list because that guy is booked to the gills this year.

I agree, Griff doesn’t have to be a redhead. That’s just what fans envisioned based on the description. They could cast anyone at all who suits the part, acting-wise.

70. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Ours is the Fury,

even if we lose Dorne, we still get three Martells outside of it

is it really worth the large introductory screentime for Queenmaker?

I don’t know how much time would be required for it, depending on how it’s adapted. A lot of the storylines were boiled down to their essence on the show for much shorter timespans.

71. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

They won’t cut any major storylines or characters, they’ll just condense things. They might push back some things to season 6. I could see that happening with Euron and Vic.

72. House Mormont
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

well it would add up, we need Ellaria because she’s the link, and we need Myrcella because she’s also a link, and then Arianne and Doran are essential, and with Arianne comes Arys because it’s HBO, and depending on if he becomes relevant we need Darkstar, and that’s without any Sand Snakes, and since we need a “reacting to season 4 events” scene and a “how Myrcella is doing” scene before anything happens, and Arianne and Doran have to show development and that means a lotta screentime

it’d be easier to have Doran function like a Hoster Tully/Mace Tyrell character and have the other Martells that interact with the rest of the story

73. KG
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Atomix,

He’d make a great Aeron, actually. Big gangly thing with wild eyes.

74. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Please move heaven and earth to cast Kevin McKidd, he’s perfect for the role. Screw Greys Anatomy!!! Isn’t that show dead already?

75. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Actors with the right look left off the list:Damian Lewis, Hugh Laurie,Eric Stolz.

Lewis would of been a better fit for Edmure Tully IMO.

76. Crabber's Son
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Dani,

greyjoys are going to intersect in a big way it seems

that said i think the bad guy from knights tale could be euron and ray stevenson for victarion edward james olmos for doran that guy from the new tron movie for young griff?

77. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

They are not going to cut Griff and Young Griff. GRRM has all but confirmed that ‘Aegon’ will be king at some point. I don’t see the show cutting a character that sits the iron throne, no matter the length of his reign. Plus, he represents Varys’ piece in the Game Of Thrones. The Greyjoys are the most likely to be cut, and even then, I expect Euron to be cast.

78. Josh
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Kinda doubt this storyline is even going to be in the show.

79. Hexonx
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Probably unlikely but I would like to see Paul Bettany as Griff.

Some others:

Alan Tudyk
    Eddie Redmayne
    Richard Roxburgh
    Carrot Top

80. Arthur
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

My dream cast for any badass new GoT character would be Kevin McKidd…

I’m still in love with him from ROME!

If D&D can land McKidd in any role in GoT its a huge win just for Sword and Sandal series nostalgia, especially for long time HBO subscribers like myself.

81. Galen Firestone
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I think I like Curran for this! He has the right look, age, and vibe, and if they could work around his Defiance shooting schedule (assuming of course that show gets a third season), he’d be great in the role.

82. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Broken Wolf:
    wizardeyes,

We already know who’ll play Wyman Manderly. Brian Blessed. :)

YESSSS!!

“GORDON’S ALIVE????”

83. TJeff
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I’d love McKidd, Curran or Isaacs to play Griff, but I doubt any of five will be the one.

84. Saulo
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

What about UNKNOWNS?
    Damian Lewis, Hugh Laurie… are you serious? Even Jason Isaacs and these actors from Rome… all of them are too famous to play these roles.

85. Hoot
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Probably too old for this part but I wish someone would cast Ian McShane for something . . .

86. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Euron Greyjoy – David Thewlis
    Victarion Greyjoy – Ray Stevenson

Jon Connington – Tony Curran
    (f)Aegon – unknown

Doran – Alexander Siddig
    Arianne – Frieda Pinto
    Quentyn – unknown
    Tyene – Tamzin Merchant

Randyll Tarly – Alan Dale
    High Sparrow – John Hurt
    Kindly Man – Ian McShane (Al Swearengen and Arya Stark sharing scenes… sign me up)
    Wyman Manderly – Ian McNiece

87. Ashara D
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

David Wenham! LOVED him in LotR! My favorite character. He could certainly pull off Griff’s sorrow over lost loves and better times.

I am also hoping that we will see Septa Lemore, as there is a theory that she is in fact my namesake. The theory says that Rheagar and Elia’s besties took baby Aegon away to safeguard him until he could reclaim his throne.

I love the Martell storylines so I hope they are adapted-even if severely-rather than cut. Edward James Olmos for Doran!

88. Ser Tahu
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

From the list my favourites would be Tony Curran or Sean Harris, although Ben Daniels also has the right look. Jason Isaacs feels more like a Euron to me.

Ideally I would like to see Damian Lewis in the role, but as Fury said he is far too busy. I also wouldn’t mind David Wenham, but he is actually my pick for Euron.

What fan casting post are we likely to see next?

89. Hexonx
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Saulo: What about UNKNOWNS?

There’s a problem with unknowns.

We don’t know them.

90. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Went back to edit spoilers into my original comment, and it was marked as spam. Probably for all of the Unsullied who are reading through the comments on speculative casting for season five… Anyway, my choices for major roles (though not all of them) in season five would be:

Doran Martell – Alexander Siddig

Kindly Man – Ian McShane

91. Jen@House Stark
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

king tyrion:
    McKidd will never do it, quote

“I’d never do it. Because they stole our fucking show.”- Kevin McKidd

Kidding or not (no pun intended :laughing:) that puts both of them out of the running in my book. Not that it matters, Nina is the boss of course, but, in the least, it was really, really poor taste to dis GOT and expect the fans to simply blow it off. Oooops, I did it again :giggle:

92. Saulo
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Jackol: Greyjoys – Victarion is presumably in.

They won’t cut Euron. There’s the kingsmoot, the dragon horn… and at least one sex scene on the horizon – it’s HBO, they won’t miss the oportunity. I guess Arianne Martell and the Sand Snakes are also safe, for the same reason.

I’m not sure about Damphair. There was no mention of him during Theon’s baptism but the Priest of the Drowned God in the scene matches the character’s description.

93. oracle86
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Count me in the David Wenham camp as well. I thought he was fantastic in TOP OF THE LAKE last year. The only thing that counts against him is that he’s Australian and probably may not be interested in travelling halfway across the globe for a TV show. Nevertheless, someone should send an email or two to his agent asap!!!

94. Saulo
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

LOL! That’s true. But you know what I mean: Relatively unknown… Less known…
    I had seen Richard Madden on “Sirens”, Hannah Murray on “Skins” and Iwan Rheon on “Misfits” – which is weirdly brilliant, by the way -, to name just a few examples, but there is a clear difference between they – or Rome’s Indira Varma and Tobias Menzies – and Gregory House and Nicholas Brody.

95. oracle86
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:11 am | Permalink

By the way, Ours is the Fury, is there any way you could conduct a chat with Bryan Cogman and ask him about how they are going forward with Seasons 5 and 6, and which all storylines can we expect to see in the TV show, and which all might be cut out???

96. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I think he will just be a ginger off the bat. Aegon might have died hair though.

97. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:21 am | Permalink

oracle86,

Last year we got one of those after his episode aired. In terms of your questions, I don’t think they’ll answer them until season 4 is over, and I do think there will be enough evidence to guess anyway. It seems increasingly likely that we’ll see Dorne now- with constant mention of Doran and Myrcella (and she even appears in a recap). We will know better about the Iron Islands by the season’s end depending on what happens to Yara- I doubt we will get the Kingsmoot without Yara is a POV.

98. Daniellica
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:08 am | Permalink

I am kindov surprised that people keep referring to Griff and that whole storyline only as something important to Tyrion, when–by the end of ADWD–Griff & Co. have invaded the Stormlands, and in the Arianne sample chapter, Dorne is on its way to meet them. They are a major threat to those in power in Westeros, not to mention beating Dany to the punch to land a (maybe) Targaryen on Westerosi shores. These events do not seem important to anyone?

Some people have also suggested that particular characters are obviously making the cut solely because they have sex in the books. That’s seriously some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Yes, it’s HBO, but they’re not frakking stupid–you just give sex to characters who need to be there for the story. :D

On that note, I don’t think any of the major storylines is getting the axe, but all of them can be condensed and streamlined, made more cinematic and compelling for a television audience. Since so much of the next two books is cerebral, it will be fascinating to see how D&D propel the stories from here on out.

As far as casting goes, in Nina Gold I trust!

99. ed
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Nick Offerman should get a role. And this would be perfect for him.

100. Robin Hankin
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Robson Green

101. AliKat
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:20 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Didn’t Kevin McKidd make some comments that he’d never be on GOT? Or was that someone else in Rome?

102. AliKat
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:22 am | Permalink

AliKat,

oh here it is – http://winteriscoming.net/2013/01/22/james-purefoy-says-he-wont-do-game-of-thrones/ Dunno if Kevin came out and said he never made those comments or not.

103. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Daniellica,

Wait and see. Euron will be there. And so will the sexposition.

104. Lord Of Lite
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Without Kevan Lannister, I think Varys will return to KL and off Pycelle, Mace, Margarey, and Tommen. Queen Margarey & Co. are going to be doing some charity work with the little birds and the knives will fly. D & D are going to cut to the chase with Cersei’s story and wrap this sucker up.

105. Proudwing
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I have a strong hunch that Orell’s Eagle will be taking on Val’s role, as it makes ZERO sense to introduce a new character to Jon’s arc. So he’ll be around for a few more seasons.

106. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Hexonx: There’s a problem with unknowns.

We don’t know them.

I am trying to post my answer FOR DECADES now. But the comments simply disappear. Is there any problem with the comments section of the site? Or I am the only one facing difficulties to post it?

107. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Here goes with a few thoughts.

First, crazy theory #1: They eliminate the character. Seriously, we need him why? If we get Young Griff, he can have been mentored by any number of people, like Illyrio, perhaps. He’s not mentioned at all until ADwD and thus feels completely thrown in as a ret-con “Oh, you didn’t know about the other guy who was Hand of the King?” I think they’ll keep him, but permit me to be the first to say eliminating him wouldn’t be so terrible.

That said, I think he stays, so here’s a few thoughts:

Max Martini — did some solid work in a supporting role in Pacific Rim, seems to handle accents ok, definitely rough-enough looking; 45 yrs old.

Rupert Graves — been in a ton of stuff. About 50.

Michael Maloney — Done a lot of stuff with Kenneth Branagh; he’s in his mid-50s, and a bit short, so may not work entirely.

Danny Huston — Am I shooting too high here? I’d have thought so before this, but if that part gets built up a bit, given he just appeared in American Horror Story, I see no real reason why the hell not on this.

Jason Flemying — Did some good work as Benjamin Button’s dad, was in the Clash of the Titans remake, interesting look to him.

108. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

This guy Max Martini would be a great Victarion.

109. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:20 am | Permalink

@Hexonx
    Nth Tentative

LOL! That’s true. But you surely understood me. I meant “less known” or “relatively unknown”. I had seen Richard Madden on “Sirens”, Hannah Murray on “Skins” or Iwan Rheon on “Misfits” – which is weirdly brilliant, by the way -, to name just a few examples… But there is a clear difference between them (or Rome’s Indira Varma and Tobias Menzies) and Hugh Laurie or Damian Lewis. Their previous roles are not as iconic as Gregory House and Nicholas Brody.
    ~
    Honestly, anyone can play Griff. Although he’s a POV, he’s a minor character. During the trip, all our attention will be on Tyrion and his amusing relationship with Penny. After all, Peter Dinklage is the biggest star of the TV show. And afterwards, I can see the show focusing way more on his son, who will be played by a younger and probably good-looking actor. So, the choice for the role of his son is way trickier. True or false, they will need a male version of Emilia Clarke – someone like that guy from the movie “War Horse”, but older – like Chris Egan, maybe. (I’m still upset that “Kings” only had 13 episodes. Gosh, I hate NBC.) Anyway, I would prefer actors that *I don’t know* to fill all the remaining roles.

110. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:28 am | Permalink

@Hexonx
    Nth Tentative

~

111. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:30 am | Permalink

@Hexonx
    Nth Tentative

~
    Honestly, anyone can play Griff. Although he’s a POV, he’s a minor character. During the trip, all our attention will be on Tyrion and his amusing relationship with Penny. After all, Peter Dinklage is the biggest star of the TV show. And afterwards, I can see the show focusing way more on his son, who will be played by a younger and probably good-looking actor. So, the choice for the role of his son is way trickier. True or false, they will need a male version of Emilia Clarke – someone like that guy from the movie “War Horse”, but older – like Chris Egan, maybe. (I’m still upset that “Kings” only had 13 episodes. Gosh, I hate NBC.) Anyway, I would prefer actors that I don’t know to fill all the remaining roles.

112. Ice & Fire Walk with Me
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Saul,

Did your post have multiple paragraphs? Because those often get caught in the filter. Apparently there’s a threat of spambots that need more than a few paragraphs to explain how a distant relative makes $79/hr from home on a computer. It’s a shame, though, because the best user comments here are usually quite in-depth.

113. Darquemode
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Such a tough season to predict and just the actors to be cast, but the roles being cast!

For Griff:
    Douglas Henshall
    Steven Waddington
    Jason Flemyng

I like many have thought of McKidd, Lewis and Curran, but I think it’s safe to say those three are very unlikely at best!

Flemyng is such a busy actor I think he may be unavailable too. I’d add Ben Daniels in his place easily enough! I would love to see Henshall or Waddington though…

I’m interested to see which roles get their own casting post this year!

114. Darquemode
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

I love Huston and Flemyng!!

I fear Flemyng will be too busy, but Huston I like. Just not as Griff though honestly. I have pictured him as Victarion for years for some reason. XD

I like Rupert Graves as well, but never considered him. Interesting…

I was really starting to think of Toby Stephens as Griff this time last year, but was a little uncertain he could pull it off. Then Black Sails. After watching that series I now think he’d be perfect. Irony….Drat!

115. Ø
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Cole Hauser

116. Karin
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:54 am | Permalink

What’s the shooting schedule of Mr Selfridge? Tom Goodman-Hill has been good on it. Julian Rhind-Tutt also comes to mind when I think of redheaded British actors. Of WIC’s five names, Daniels is my favourite and not obviously way too busy with an American show like longtime fan suggestion McKidd. Isaacs is too big for GOT (his name recognition outside Britain and the costume drama circles is Sean Bean-level, and Bean signed on as the main character for a single season rather than a supporting role of uncertain duration).

117. Silver of Wyman
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp:
    I like Mckidd or Harris for Griff

Victarion- Ray Stevenson

Euron- James Purefoy. Madds isn’t leaving Hannibal anytime soon

By the way, red riding trilogy was excellent!

IMO James Purefoy can capture the hedonist side of Euron better than Madds so he was always my first choice.

118. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:05 am | Permalink

Let’s look at which characters are 100% needed for s5 and the supporting characters who might appear, and also those who will not appear in s5 for whatever reason.

Leaving:
    - Tywin Lannister – Dead
    - Shae – Dead
    - Ygritte – Dead
    - Sandor Clegane – Dead or temporary hiatus?
    - Oberyn Martell – Dead
    - Lysa – “Only Cat”, so dead
    - Styr – Dead
    - Dontos – Dead
    - Joffrey Baratheon –
    - Karl – Dead
    - Rast – Dead
    - Beric Dondarrion – Sacrifice
    - Ellaria – Hiatus whilst travelling back to Dorne
    - Varys – hiatus, After letting T go he disappears until he kills Ser Kevan (s6)
    - Olenna Tyrell – Hiatus… Until needed again
    -Alliser Thorne? – Might die in Tormund duel (hope he doesn’t)
    - Grenn? – Might die vs. Mag the Mighty (hope he doesn’t)
    - Locke? – Jon/Hodor/WW/CH/beheaded for deserting… Anything could happen…
    - Tormund? – vs. Alliser (hope he doesn’t)
    - Gregor Clegane? – Robert Strong… Need I say more?
    - Myranda? – please don’t be fArya!

^ that should be it… No matter how you look at it there will be plenty of deaths to characters both minor and major… This should clear out the cast list for new faces, also with fewer battles in s5 so more budget could be allocated to signing new cast members…

Returning cast members:

- Illyrio Mopatis – 2 episodes maximum
    - Xaro Xhoan Daxos? – we never saw him die…
    - Doreah? – if Xaro survived why not her?
    - Ser Kevan – he could replace Cersei’s ridiculous small coucil and be hand until Cersei’s overthrown and he becomes regent, and they could easily reintroduce him as a guest at tywin’s funeral
    - Lord of Bones – Could be replaced by Tormund (but that means Tormund would die… I hope not)
    - Blackfish, Brynden Tully
    - Edmure Tully
    - Roslin Frey
    - Thoros of Myr
    - Walder Frey (replacing his son at siege of river run?)
    - Lancel Lannister - first at Darry with Jaime and 2nd In KL betraying Cersei

All possible new members:

- Griff
    - Young Griff
    + Duck?
    + Haldon Halfmaester?
    + Septa Lemore?
    + Harry Stickland?
    + Franklyn Flowers?
    + Other Golden Company members?
    - Victarion Greyjoy
    - Euron Greyjoy
    + Aeron Greyjoy?
    + Rodrik Harlaw?
    + Nute (the Barber)?
    + Tristofer Botley?
    + Qarl (the Maid)? (Or a combination of the two?)
    + Other Ironborn/Throne contenders
    + Euron’s foreign crew
    - Arianne Martell
    - Doran Martell
    - Quentyn Martell
    + Arys Oakheart?
    + Sand Snakes? (I forget their names)
    + Areo Hotah? (Could just be an extra with a big axe who we can recognize when he kills Arys)
    + Ser Gerold Dayne (Darkstar)?
    + Trystane Martell?
    + Gerris Drinkwater?
    + Archibald Yronwood?
    - Bowen Marsh (since Brian Fortune is apparently Othel Yarwyk)
    - Dareon (could be replaced by Pyp? But that means Pyp would die and I hope he doesn’t)
    - The Kindly Man
    + Waif?
    + Various Braavosi targets and contacts?
    - Ser Harold Hardyng (if he’s important… We don’t know! But he might not appear until s6)
    + Mya Stone?
    + Lyn Corbray? (Unless the already cast ‘Vance’ Corbray is infact the show’s Lyn)
    - The High Sparrow
    + Atleast 1 Kettleblack
    + Taena
    + maybe make one of margaery’s ladies more important so she has someone to talk to…?
    - Brown Ben Plumm
    + Green Grace?
    + Shaveplate?
    + Reznak?
    + Khazz? (Pit fighter who Barristan kills when arresting Hizdahr)
    + Moroqorro? (Red priest)
    + Penny?
    + The Tatttered Prince? (The windbkown)
    + astapor and Yunkai enemies?
    + some slavers? (yellow slug)
    - Wyman Manderley
    - Jeyne Poole (any fake Arya, but NOT myranda)
    + Lady Dustin
    + Justin Massey
    + Maege Mormont
    + anyone else to flesh out the battle of winterfell
    - Val
    + Alys Karstark?
    + Sigorn? (Or another wildling, maybe even Tormund, for Alys to marry)

Wow… Maybe the new contract will allow HBO to allow them to drastically increase the cast, if not I predict lots of combination characters over the next few seasons…

119. Raga Dal
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

It’s Damian with an A.

But yes, he’s tied up shooting Wolf Hall with Mark Rylance currently, though who knows where he might be in a few months. And he’s a good friend of Nicolaj Coster Waldau, having starred in The Baker together.

120. R
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:15 am | Permalink

give us Viggo Mortensen! Or someone high profile, that would be really cool

121. Darquemode
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp,

So many brilliant performances in Red Riding!
    I may have to do a re-watch of that trilogy now that you have me thinking about it! XD

122. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:50 am | Permalink

work work work work work work THRONES!

Casting? Already? I am here and now, we’re not quite halfway through…

Sunday, Bloody Sunday, is here!

123. eneile
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Physically the most fitting for me is Ben Daniels. If they ever get Hugh Laurie I do hope he plays Howard Reed if he ever appears. He’s the only character I instantly imagined with an actor’s face (easy with no description;).

To react to what some people said, if they do introduce Young Griff, then I don’t think it makes much sense not to introduce Griff (viewers remember Aegon, so Griff is “the guy who mentors him” (like they Tyrion and his 2 sidekicks, no need to cut Pod for example).

The question is how they’ll handle this storyline. They need to do that smoothly so that it’s not too frustrating to see a new character win so quickly and threaten all the old characters.
    But it seems to me there’s something quite important in Griff in that he brings the greyscale with him. There has to be an epidemics that Shireen survives because she already had it!

124. The North Remembers
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:04 am | Permalink

KG,

I was just going to say the same thing. The face is pretty good, as are the colors, but the rest is just insane. It looks like a body out of the Land of Oz.

125. eneile
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:09 am | Permalink

eneile,

I meant Howland Reed of course… LOL

126. fire and blood
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:20 am | Permalink

I have a crazy theory on the subject of Griff(Jon Connington)..I think the show will merge the character with Illyrio Mopatis…the only reason I suspect this is because if your a show viewer and have never read the books you have no idea who Jon Connington is…think back we heard about the Martells and the Dornish back in season 2,..now in season 4 we are introduced to some of them…we have never heard mention of Connington by name in the show yet and here it is season 4…If you think about it Illyrio Mopatis was introduced to us back in season 1..and the audience is familiar with him and know that he is a Targaryen supporter….if they introduce Connington to the show viewers now..most are going to be like..who’s this guy?

127. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Of course Griff is necessary, are you serious? You want Aegon to travel alone? That makes no sense at all. He needs some to defend him and teach him among other things how to fight. The rest of the Aegon crew can be cut, though (unless one of them is extremely important in some way, which I doubt- even Lemore). They can have Varys accompany Tyrion to meet the gang and set off to Westeros with Aegon. At that point he says he has some matters to attend and returns secretly to King’s Landing where he executes Kevan and Pycelle.

128. Dillan
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Losing Dorne? No way. Obviously we’re gonna see Doran as he was already estabilished in the series by Tywin, Oberyn. We even heard about his disease. I’d be more concerned about Greyjoys. As for me the best possible solution is to cut Aeron and introduce Victarion and Euron. Though, some random priest who is not related to Greyjoys can play the role of Aeron.
    Another certain thing are female characters. IMO Arianne maybe Taena or Septa Lemore, one Sand Snake.
    I would also add Skahaz, Barbrey Dustin, Kindly Man, Pate of the Citadel, Marwyn (he might be also introduced in Season 6), Ben Plumm, High Sparrow, Kettleblack, Justin Massey, Moqorro.

129. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:20 am | Permalink

GO TEAM DORNE!

Matt Stokoe for Quentyn (or maybe Young Griff?)
    Giancarlo Esposito or an unknown for Doran
    Eva Green or Janina Gavankar (a bit too old maybe?) for Arianne
    Tika Sumpter for Obara
    Sara Paxton for Tyene

Based purely on looks. Except for Doran (because that dude can aact) abd Qunetyn since he’s supposed to be kinda ugly (or rather, not at all handsome).

130. Walter_Eagle
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Isaacs is usually a TV lead. I don’t see him suddenly jumping to be the 34th largest role on a show. McKidd’s a little too high-profile too, and Damian Lewis, David Tennant, and Hugh Laurie are laughable ideas. It should be a relative unknown. Curran and Harris are fine choices.

131. jarnomiedema
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Dream casting would be Brendan Gleeson. It’s wildly unrealistic, I know, but a guy can dream..

Remember, Griff is of a same age as Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon..

Out of the options presented here, I love Tony Curran and I like Sean Harris. If Ben Daniels joined the show, we’d have our first acting couple on the show: he’s in a relationship with Ian Gelder, the actor who plays Kevan Lannister.. :)

132. YezzanZoQaggaz
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:10 am | Permalink

What about Yellow Whale casting? Or do you think that’s season 6? Of course they can replace him with some generic slaver (I can’t imagine them cutting Tyrion’s enslavement entirely), and it all depends how much they rush Tyrion’s season 5 storyline.

133. Smile
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:10 am | Permalink

KG,

You’re in an unusually positive mood x

134. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:20 am | Permalink

YezzanZoQaggaz,

IMO they should combine Tyrion’s slaver with Brown Ben Plumm and the Tattered Prince. Have him buy Tyrion from the get go, and then Tyrion convinces him to side with Dany early in season 6 (assuming the Daznak Pit ends season 5′s Meereen arc).

135. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:34 am | Permalink

cant think of many actors who fit better into a role in GoT than Kevin McKidd to Griff. Espcecially in Rome, Lucius Vorenus is very similar to Griff. Its just a shame its quite unlikely to happen. Still, this is one of the roles where there are plenty of actors out there which spring to mind.
    As is pointed out in the post Tony Curran would be a good fit as well. David Wenham also springs to mind.Think people like Damian Lewis, Brendan Gleeson and David Tennant are a bit far fetched (besides they probably wouldnt be as good a fit for the role as some other actors) but another doctor comes to mind when casting this role, Christopher Eccleston has a bit less profile, has played the role of the serious war veteran before (Doctor Who, 28 days later)and was almost cast in the role of stannis earlier on. I hope they cast him as something cos i’ve been wanting my eccleston fix ever since he quit doctor who after one season, and i think there are other roles he might work in.
    Those are the few that spring to mind but there are probably some equally good options elsewhere. Never seen Daniels or Harris in anything, but I’m sure they are good suggestions as well, or they could go for a complete unknown. As always in Nina Gold we trust.
    One thing thoughi’m pretty sure they will keep JonCon,Aegon is too important to the plot to ignore entirely, and all these theories of Illyrio playing the role that JonCon does seem a bit ridiculous to me, as it would seem a bit stupid having this fat cheesemonger turn out to be a grizzled war veteran, and all the other things JonCon is, I can see them keeping JonCon, but getting rid of the other crew of the Shy Maid (Yandry and Ysilla definitely, along with Rolly Duckfield, and perhaps Haldon as well, they will probably keep Septa Lemore though) and merging them int JonCon, instead of having Duckfield teaching him how to fight they would have JonCon, it makes sense. I think it looks like they are definitely keeping Dorne from what has been said in the show, probably keeping this as well given that there arent many other ways around it, the only one i’m slightly worried about is the Iron Islands plotline, with the introduction of Balon’s brothers. I still think they will probably keep at least one of them though, but i am more worried about this one than the others

136. King DBC
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Kevin McKidd, I mean, c’mon! Never have I seen this fan base agree upon something as much as everyone agrees he should be Griff. Seeing how short the actors actually film for GoT, I think they can make it work. I remember Lena Headey only filmed like 15 days for S3 (I think!).

Season 5 will have some of the most exciting casting. Personally, I’d like to see more Rome alumni join the cast and S5 has many roles for them.
    Wyman Manderly – Ian McNiece
    Septa Lemore – Polly Walker
    Obara Sand - Zuleikha Robinson
    Victarion Greyjoy – Ray Stevenson
    The Green Grace – Lindsay Duncan
    Can’t think of a role for Kerry Condon, but she’d be a welcome addition too.

137. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:53 am | Permalink

YezzanZoQaggaz,

As I’ve mentioned before, YZQ will be GRRM’s cameo! :)

138. Arya's Nose
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Tony Curran was brilliant in a little-seen film called ‘In the Dark Half’ alongside Jessica Barden, who should be cast as fakeArya because she has the same jaw-shape as Maisie Williams.

139. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Proudwing,
    Lol

Sadly, since the Thenns are already part of Mance’s army (I assume), there is probably no need for Val’s awesome mission and general bad-assery in the show. We’ll see how they present deal with Mance’s storyline in upcoming episodes. Still, I hope GRRM has a sizeable role for her besides being a marriage pawn. Something about her….

140. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:11 am | Permalink

GeekFurious: And I hope they don’t write those characters to cater to people who thought books 4 and 5 were boring. Because then the show post season 4 will look like terrible fan fiction.

It feels like we are already there tbh. Viewers (apparently) complained about the pace of Jon & Bran’s storylines and look what happened!

They fabricated some crap at Craster’s.

As for books 4 & 5 I LOVE THEM! If ‘fans’ don’t like them then surely they are not fans anymore! So pls don’t bend the show to their negative view.

I’d love to see Griff in the show but I’m not presuming anything anymore. They’ll strip this to its core so they can fit more r*** and brothel scenes in.

I mean, one of my all time favourite characters NEVER made it in. Mormont’s effing raven! :D he’s awesome lol, and sorely missed.

141. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Grey Ghost,

“Corn!”

142. freoduwebbe
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:17 am | Permalink

I’m a big fan of 13th Warrior – so I’d love to see Vladimir Kulich as Griff – he’s 56 which would work – and is 6’4″ and quite impressive as a fighter.

A 2nd thought would be Dennis Storhoi – age 52 5’11″tall. I’d love to see him as well.

13th warrior was the first movie I noticed Tony Curran in as well….

143. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Would be awesome

144. Raga Dal
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:24 am | Permalink

eneile:
    . If they ever get Hugh Laurie I do hope he plays Howland Reed if he ever appears. He’s the only character I instantly imagined with an actor’s face (easy with no description;).

145. OldeCrone
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:25 am | Permalink

The actors nominated could probably all carry off the role. I thought of the redheaded factor Robert Kazinsky http:////www.imdb.com/name/nm2059117/ if he can do anything else besides an east end (of London, England) accent but he might be too young as he is still in his early 30s. The same applies (but not the readheaded factor) to Jonas Armstrong http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1765073/
    I wouldn’t mind David Thewliss. Would another David (David Threllfall) be http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861915/ be too old? He has done other things besides the UK version of “Shameless”. He was good in “What Remains” last year (Indira Varma was in that series too). If the showrunners cast by “the look” (i.e. of the character, not how “hawt” an actor is), Messrs McKidd, Curren and Harris are good fits.

146. wayward stark
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I actually don’t think we will see Griff in season 5. D and D I think will save some casting cash by having illyrio sail down the rhoyne with tyrion to meet Griff and young Griff at volantis and the season will end with tyrion being kidnapped never actually meeting them till illyro meets them in season 6

147. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Exactly! :D even your comment made me lol. He’s an integral part of the nights watch. And probably wiser than the lot of em.

148. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

another couple of actors just sprung to mind
    John Simm or Phillip Glenister (both were in the bbc show life on mars, and Simm was also in Doctor Who as the Master) i think Simm could probably work work best out of the two (he played a role which had similarites with Griff in Channel 4 mini series the Devil’s Whore) but Glennister would also be pretty good.
    Also agree with suggestion that David Thewlis might work as well. Man, this part has such a huge number of good actors that could be cast for it!

149. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Raga Dal: Seriously? The Crannogmen are described as small and slight, not unlike the Picts in Great Britain. Hugh is over 6 feet tall. He wouldn’t remotely resemble the character Meera talks about in her story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

150. Ryan Stark
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I’ve seen Greys Anatomy advertised as “the final episodes” lately. I took that as the series was coming to an end. So maybe it is and we can get McKidd???

151. Red Helm
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Tony Curran all the way! He was my top candidate since his guest appearance on “Boardwalk Empire”. David Thewlis would be great too, he has wonderful range. And, considering smaller names, Steven Mackintosh might work too.

152. Grey Ghost
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:48 am | Permalink

As for casting in general, I don’t like to think about it. It removes me from the suspension of disbelief or whatever. I like unknown actors (or at least relatively unknown actors) to take the roles. Except for Charles Dance ofc cos he is BEAST! And that Brian Blessed suggestion is pure class!

Can’t wait for tomorrow so I can wash away the stench of last week. If anything bad happens to Ms Reed I’m gonna find the person who wrote it and **** **** **** ****’** ****!

Lol

153. OldeCrone
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Walter_Eagle:

My understanding was that these fan-castings are a bit of fun where we can all give our two pennyworth (two cents’ worth). Sometimes fan suggestions come true (her casting was before I became aware of the show but weren’t quite a few people enthusiastic about Gwendoline Christie securing the part of Brienne?) I think there were some people who fancied Indira Varma as Ellaria from the get-go. You may be right that they will go with an unknown though. As a British person since he played Bertie Wooster I have a problem with Hugh Laurie playing anything serious – I had difficulty taking him seriously as House (kept expecting him to come out with “What ho!”. May be unfair but that is my instinctive reaction.

If Mark Gatiss had not been already cast as a banker….now he has red hair, but they might go the “wiggy” route with a non-readhead.

154. Vargoat
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Griff should be of the same age as Robert and Ned Stark or even older. McKidd would be too young. Sean harris looks way too much like Vang Gough. I´d love to see Ralph Fiennes on the show but I guess he is way too expensive. I always pictured Griff to look kinda like Iain Glen, maybe he could do 2 roles :D
    Jamie Campbell Bower would be a great young Griff.. He has the alien-like look to be a Targaryen and since he already played a part in the original Pilot it shouldn´t be much of an problem

155. Alasdair Fraser
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Jake,

So much yes! haha

156. Alasdair Fraser
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Tony Curran or Kevin McKidd both fit my book mental look for Griff. They both look significantly younger than Sean Bean (Ned) and Mark Addy (Robert). He is meant to roughly be of an age with them. There are plenty of ginger actors that could do a good job and many more who could be made to physically fit with make-up and costume :)

157. YezzanZoQaggaz
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

That whole thing is basically a huge spoiler (especially the Dead/Leaving part), can someone cover it up?

EDIT: also, why is it making the comment link “page 4″, when the original comment is on page 3? Breaks the link…

158. Jerome
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Griff = Steven Waddington

159. Veltigar
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Sean Harris and Ben Daniels were both excellent in Jamaica Inn. I loved Tony Curran in the 13th Warrior, which is a really underrated movie.

I’d second these three actors for the part.

Benjamin Mee: You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage, to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.

160. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Vargoat,

I’d say the guy who played older Octavian in Rome looks exactly right, can act well and has bared skin in Rome (=nudity), so if he still looks young he should definitely be cast as Young Griff. He has a very Targaryeny look to him.

EDIT: here- Simon Woods

161. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

jentario,

He doesn’t even really act in films and TV anymore, and I don’t think he’s young enough for Young Griff. Young Griff should be around the same age as the other younger generation on GoT like Kit, Emilia, etc, so early-midtwenties, I’d say.

I think we have to think outside the “Rome” box a little more. We always see the Zuleikha Robinson suggestion for Sand Snakes but she’s only two years younger than Pedro Pascal.

162. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

The problem is that not many of us are familiar with a good number of British TV shows/shows with a British cast. Rome is one of the only ones I’ve seen outside GOT (and the other few are just comedies). It’s hard not to go the Rome angle in fan castings (unless you’re British or have seen a lot of their TV, of course). I personally hope they cast a bunch of unknowns. Pedro Pascal was rather unknown, and a great casting (time will tell if he’s the perfect casting for Oberyn). The Stark kids were all unknown (and perfect). Emilia is unknown, and she has become insanely popular now… Michelle Fairly wasn’t very famous in film or TV…

I hope the show creates more famous actors than it casts.

163. vlad
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

McKidd and Harris would be great, the others not so much. Even if in the books Griff is shown more and even has his POV chapters, I am sure that in the show, Young Griff will be made a lot more important and will take much of his fathers lines.

164. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

jentario,

Yes, it’s true, it does. And fancasting is always more about fun than true expectations. I’m American, so I suppose it’s not that hard for me to come up with British and Irish actors. Actors cross the pond a lot these days.

165. Ser Dermett Corbray
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink

McKidd has always been my #1 choice but Sean Harris would be all sorts of awesome, I think. Good shout, that.

166. HouseMartellBitches
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I’m hoping for Isaacs for Griff, though I know that’s unlikely.

To those who are saying this storyline will get cut, I wouldn’t count on it, especially given that neither Griff nor Young Griff are one and done characters, and given how huge the reveals about them are and their importance to TWO POV storylines, Young Griff landing in Westeros, and that they appear to be a large part of the Martell’s storyline from what we’ve seen going forward, it would be ludicrous to cut them.

They merge with so many other storylines, and despite being new characters, actually appear to have a condensing effect, there really is no need to cut them. We don’t really need the crew outside of Lenore and Duck, but I don’t see any way where D&D could stay true to the major overarching plot (which despite all changes, they absolutely have thus far) and cut these characters.

Added to which, the Golden Company got a mention this season. D&D haven’t done seeding like that before without generally paying it off. Think of how they were careful not to have Mel specifically say that Stannis had no children in season two, or the prior mentions in seasons 1 & 3 about what supposedly happened to Rhaegar’s children. Even Theon’s uncles got a mention, though it is notable that they’ve studiously avoided saying how many. I don’t see Dorne as playing anything but a large role going forward into TWOW/ADOS, and Euron would maybe take up 15 minutes of screentime for his entire role, so there isn’t much point in cutting him, and given how Victarion seems to be providing Dany’s naval support in TWOW, I don’t see him getting cut.

As to Dorne, we’d better get at least some Sand Snakes, but there’s not a huge need for cuts there. Trystane, mostly Areoh, and possibly Darkstar are background roles that don’t really need bug names or expensive actors, and just having them there would add a lot without really being very expensive. There, Doran, Arienne, Areoh, maybe Arys, and hopefully Nymeria and Sarella for Citadel/ possibly conspiracy are really needed. They could even tie Nymberia into being Talisa’s sister or something, but I really hope they don’t cut her.

For Damphair, there’s not reason (thus far) why the guy who kinda/unofficially played him in season 2 can’t do his role, but anyone’s guess is as good as mine as to whether he’s needed going forward.

Realistically though, Dorne is a good investment in screentime, for many reasons, but if for no other than that its doubtful they don’t play a major and intersecting role in TWOW/ADOS, and Doran, Arienne, and Sand Snakes are awesome. Greyjoy’s won’t really take up a lot of screentime, and has some cool and probably a few necessary characters.

But of all storylines, Griff’s is probably the most important, and I really don’t see it getting cut.

As to casting, I hope Mads can do Euron, as Hannibal isn’t supposed to last more than four season, and the role won’t really be huge until that is done anyways.

If Ben Kingsley isn’t Doran, I will riot. This has to happen. It’s not like the role would take tons of days to film, and the prestige and gravitas Kingsley would bring probably further solidify an already Emmy bait role (and the show deserves more of those).

I’d love to see Janina Galvanakar as Arienne or Nymeria, just not sure which one would be better.

This show is gonna go through the roof. If people are still sticking around, there is no way we don’t have the budget needed to get the necessary actors for these roles. HBO does always seem willing to shell out for the big names when it brings prestige and viewers. And if we hit 7 Million, there’s no way that isn’t enough to show an epic Battle of Meereen that makes Blackwater look like child’s play!

167. SilverStormm
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp:
    I like Mckidd or Harris for Griff

Victarion- Ray Stevenson

Euron- James Purefoy. Madds isn’t leaving Hannibal anytime soon

By the way, red riding trilogy was excellent!

I second each of these choices :)

168. OldeCrone
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    jentario,

There always have been some British actors that worked in America some of the time. Going back I can think of Vivienne Leigh (though she was born in India), Laurence Olivier, and Donald Pleasence (played Loomis in the earlier Halloween films) and Bob Hoskins of those who are no longer with us and Angela Lansbury who is still with us at the time of posting. Saffron Burrows and Eddie Izzard have worked there intermittently more recently. I’m sure there are others.

Now if we really are having fun a few ideas if they decide to re-cast the dragons, though they may only make sense to older and British visitors to the WiC site. Queen Caroline of Rubovia’s baby dragon must surely be grown up now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XHQE7satc or perhaps they would like a nice friendly ice dragon

or a nice friendly soup dragon

at point 1.22

or more recently “Jane and the….”

169. caoimay
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Random thought

How about Omar Sharif for Doran Martell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

170. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

They can’t cut Griff and have Ilyrio take his role IMO. It doesn’t make sense to have Ilyrio act as a general. They need a local to invade the Stormlands. Varys knows the turf better, but they can’t replace JonCon with Varys either. They need someone to be patient zero for a greyscale outbreak in Westeros. Varys probably isn’t expendable enough to give him a deadly disease. I have a feeling the disease isn’t going to be as slow moving as Jon thinks it will be.

171. Daniellica
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

RE: “There’s no way they can cast all these new characters cuz the audience will have no idea what’s going on!”

Bullocks, says I.

They did it in the first episode ever, tons of characters that, yes, took Unsullied a few episodes to get ahold on, but they did. They did it again at the beginning of Season 2 with the introduction of Stannis & co, in season 3 with the Wildlings, the Brotherhood…they introduce new characters and concepts and places all the time, and this season is going to be quite a scourge!

172. Raga Dal
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: I think you’re mixing some stuff up. In the show, Meera is not a small, slight woman. They are not going to go that direction with the Crannogmen, if they are even featured, especially HR. And the KotLT fights in HR’s honor, but is not a crannogman. Also, the KotTL is a woman…

173. loodyvip
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I vote for Jason Isaacs but I don’t think they will do the blue hair ): maybe they will just let it be brown or any other color just like Dario ):

174. omar little
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Euron Greyjoy – Marton Csokas
    Victarion Greyjoy – Ray Stevenson, Clancy Brown
    Griff– Richard Roxburgh, Linus Roache, Richard Dilane
    Young Griff – Freddie Fox, Aneurin Barnard
    Doran – Castulo Guerra
    Arianne – Zulay Henao
    Obara Sand – Zawe Ashton
    Nymeria Sand – Carolina Guerra
    Tyene – Ximena Duque
    Randyll Tarly – Keith Allen,John Lynch
    High Sparrow – Ian McDiarmid,Derek Jacobi
    Kindly Man – Peter Jarvis, Ronald Pickup,Richard Wilson
    Wyman Manderly – Brendon Gleeson, Simon Russel Beale, Robbie Coltrane,John Goodman

175. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Raga Dal:
    I wasn’t talking about the Knight themselves, but the person they defend. It would be ridiculous to think anyone would have to intercede on Hugh Laurie’s behalf. Kellie Kendrick is not a huge strapping woman. Thomas Sangster is not a huge strapping man.

Got it. But I never stated “huge, strapping” either. From my perspective, the show has made them more “normal” looking, rather than the wiry, stealthy Meera and the sickly, withdrawn Jojen that I pictured from the books.

176. KG
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

What can I say? I’m just a little ray of sunshine :D

Sometimes.

Smile:
    KG,

You’re in an unusually positive mood x

177. Saul
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Ice & Fire Walk with Me,

Thank you very much. I had no idea. Usually I just read the comments, but today I decided to post a comment myself. I’ll try to keep it short next time. Sorry guys for posting the same thing multiple times. As you can see, patience is a virtue I don’t have… yet.

178. KG
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Yes, it’s like everyone here has only seen the same three TV shows as everyone else.

Ours is the Fury:
    jentario,

179. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure they won’t do the blue hair either. They haven’t done wacky hair color on anyone really. It’s too Hot Topic. If they bother with hair dye at all for Griff, it’ll just be some dark brown/black color.

180. jentario
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Griff won’t get hair dyed. If anything, Young Griff will.

181. VictarionNeverSews
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Greyjoys FTW Victarion and Euron are badass, gotta be in the show!
    and Dorne!

182. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,
    jentario,
    The penetrating blue eyes are the dead give-away though, unless they’ve already invented contact lenses in Essos.

183. imlad
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Philip Glenister (aka Gene Hunt on LIFE ON MARS and ASHES TO ASHES)

184. fire and blood
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I think the only reason I feel Connington’s role may be cut is because …well think about this…any major character or group that has been added to the show has been mentioned at least a couple of seasons before they were introduced ..example..Stannis was mentioned in season 1 we get to meet his character in season 2,Thoros was mentioned in season 1 we meet him in season 3,the Martells were mentioned back in season 2, we are meeting some of them now in season 4…So my point is if all you have been doing is watching the series and have never picked up one of the books..you would have no idea who Connington is or what his impact on Westeros was which as a book reader was already made clear by this point….in other words the reveal of the character loses its impact on the viewing audience

185. ChillinLikeSerIlyn
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

KG,

Isaacs is way more of a Euron-type in my opinion.

186. Drakoen
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Totally agree. He would be a great Aeron (recast).
    Hoot,

187. Turncloak
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Griff and Young Griff are going to be in. We’ve already had a Golden Company shoutout by Stannis and Davos. I’m not too worried about the Greyjoys being cut as they will need then but I am worried about The Kings Moot being cut. What the heck is Yara doing this season? Also I’m very worried for (f)Arya. It starting look like she was cut from the story since Jaime didn’t warn Brienne about her before they parted ways -_-

188. Macharius
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve a feeling they’ll drop the entire Aegon subplot that involves Griff tbh.

189. Turncloak
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Macharius,

I doubt it. Griff and young griff play an important part of Tyrions storyline. Also Griff has captured storms end and it’s highly likely that he will take kings landing. Also a possibility of Dorne uniting with him

190. loodyvip
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I`ll be so disappointment if they didn’t give them the blue hair ): I mean why not ? where is the problem in that ? T__T ,I think it will make it more excited if they did at least for YG , where is the matter in that of course they are not going to have to dye their hair just put on a fake hair): please got I am not asking for much ): you know what is gona make me more depressed and angry ? ): if they cut of the whole Griff and Young griff story ! T________T or if they mixed Griff`s character with that fat cheesemonger ): like what they intend to do with the Balon`s brothers

191. ShadowStalker
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

So I just had a really weird idea pop into my head about next season.

I didn’t know where to post it, to share… but this seems like as good of a spot as any… (I actually posted this first in the Michelle McClaren piece… somehow I jumped right over this article..)

Tyrion’s arc in Dance is long and complicated. Timing wise is going to be a bear to merge with Dany’s. So the show could go thru and cut alot of it… or if they keep the Greyjoy plot in, they could instead have Victarion be the guy who captures Tyrion & Jorah on their way to Mereen. Plot simplified. Right now I think it is a bit crackpot ish… but it does have possibilities to work for the show.

192. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

ShadowStalker,

Not totally crackpot, imho. They definitely have a common destination. As does Quentyn. Perhaps two of the three threads could piggy back. As you know, Moqorro is part of Vic and Tyrion’s tale as well. Tyrion got there earlier than Vic, but spent all of his time as a prisoner under YZQ, and figuring out the sellsword contingents. I could totally see Tyrion taking a more proactive path to Dany with either Quentyn or Vic with him….only at the last minute before they meet, Dany escapes with Drogon.

193. Smiley
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

KG,

I wanna sex you up

194. K26dp
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

David Wenham would be my choice. Micheal Fassbender would also be great, but I guess he may be too “movie star” now.

195. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Damien Lewis in my dreams. Kevin McKidd would be great, but not a real possibility. I’d watch Jason Issac read the phone book. Whomever they pick will be great, I’m sure.

196. KG
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Now that I could go with.

ChillinLikeSerIlyn:
    KG,

Isaacs is way more of a Euron-type in my opinion.

197. Jon of House Targaryen
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Hugh Laurie is my first choice, would work perfectly.

198. Vin Sidious
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

I think Liam Neeson would be great for Griff. And Ian McShane for Euron! These aren’t huge parts; there have to be a few big name actors out there who would do GoT for cheap, in small roles, just because they love it and want to be a part of it. Not that they need big names, obviously, but it would be cool to see a couple turn up here & there.

199. Slizabeth
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:07 am | Permalink

David Wenham for Griff. James purefoy for any grey joy! Nah…Russell Crowe for Griff! (Lol) ;) dream casting.

200. Winterdark
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Sean Harris. Definitely.

Also not that unlikely since casting for Red Riding (in my opinion the best movie trilogy if all time) was done by Nina Gold and many Red Riding alumni made it into Game of Thrones including Sean Bean and Mark Addy.

201. Ringo Starrfall
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

does anyone know what Black Sails filming schedule is like? I think Toby Stevens would be a great Griff.

202. Chuchulf
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Ryan Hurst for Victarion! Or Ray Stevenson. :)

203. Connie
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

You know they won’t do the blue hair dye :(

204. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I know many fans wanted a role for Garrett Dillahunt, could fit here? Raising Hope has been cancelled.

205. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I kind of think Simon Pegg could be good in this role

206. Jen@House Stark
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

KG:
    What can I say? I’m just a little ray of sunshine :D

Sometimes.

Can’t help but smile when Momoa is coming to town in two weeks, OMG!!

207. Darquemode
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Chuchulf,

Ryan Hurst for Daven Lannister!!
    C’mon!

Can anyone look the part any better than he?
    Alas, I’m not sure we will see many more Americans cast, but Pedro Pascal was a bit of a surprise too…. Who knows!

208. WildSeed
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

Hey, stranger !

I question casting Daven’s role, but this may demonstrate more dilemmas for Jaime. I’d much rather his Frey aunt were cast instead . How did you like Tywin’s onscreen admission of being broke ? That’s a woodshed moment for Dave’s so called role as keeper of Casterly Rock’s fortunes. Are you still out there, Kevan & Lancel Lannister ?

209. WildSeed
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Why would Ours is the Fury taunt us with a mention of McKidd for Griff’s role ? That not nice ( :
    I adore Curran, but does he carry such a role, as an alpha like Griff. Yes, I’ve read the rumours ,
    alphas exist within all male aggregates…… right ?

210. WildSeed
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark,

Hope you have a blast. Come back and share the details !

211. Darquemode
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Hiya!
    Hmm, should I change my name to the Stranger?
    I do have a pic of me on a pale horse when I was 5! XD

Oh I wouldn’t bet on Daven being cast either, but Hurst is too perfect for the role if they do cast it! Like you said, it would add some Jaime scene time for that season…

I would love to see Genna Lannister and Emmon Frey as well. Maybe Jennifer Saunders or Julie Walters for Genna and Adrian Schiller or Adrian Scarborough would be perfect for Emmon!

It was interesting to be sure.. I guess we knew the crown was in debt, but knowing House Lannister is as well shades their motivations a bit doesn’t it? They really need the Tyrells for more than just man-power.

I think I am ok with the change for the most part. It changes Tywin’s noted proficiency with money seeing as most think the man s#!*$ gold… Other than that I can’t think of any huge conflicts on the horizon because of it unlike some of the other changes. Hmmm…

It makes me look at “A Lannister always pays their debts” in a new way, that’s for sure!

212. OldeCrone
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Ringo Starrfall:
    does anyone know what Black Sails filming schedule is like?I think Toby Stevens would be a great Griff.

Is “Black Sails” any good? I like the music but haven’t been able to watch the series as yet. I haven’t been terribly keen on anything from the Starz or Showtime stables yet (I thought “Banshee” was going to be an Irish ghost story). But then I don’t want to fall into the trap of pooh-poohing something because it came from a certain source and turned out to be the “good” series from the said source.

213. Roger König
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

i guess its none of the discussed, because in nina gold i trust! whoever it is, he’s gonna be good :)

214. Danyarya
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Of the ones you have listed, I would choose Jason Issacs simply because of Lucius Malfoy. Before I discovered A Song of Ice and Fire, there was a boy named Harry. . .

One that you don’t have listed, but might be good, even if he is an American, is Giovanni Ribisi. He’s red-headed, he has that rough but handsome look, he’s about 40, and has been in action movies as well as comedies.

215. Chuchulf
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

Yeah, that could also work… although he doesn’t really have blonde hair… But personally I would still like to see Ryan Hurst as Victarion

216. Darquemode
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Chuchulf,

I like Hurst as an actor and it would be fun to see him on GOT, but now that I think of it I have never heard him do any UK accent. He does have the stature I think of for Victarion, but I always pictured Vic as older looking, more weathered. I think he would bring something interesting to Victarion though.

True about the blonde thing, but Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion are all considerably darker haired than in the books.

Speaking of blonde and Sons of Anarachy…
    Charlie Hunnam has commented he would love a role on GOT if he can fit it in his schedule. He could be a great Daven Lannister (he also has the look and skills IMO) if Daven is cast. Although there are a couple other roles I’ve thought Hunnam would be perfect for like Arys Oakheart or Gerris Drinkwater if either make the series).

217. FleyRamsay
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I think Kevin Mckidd is perfect for the role, in fact someone posted about recasting the entire Rome cast:

McKidd – Griff
    Ray Stevens – Victarion
    James Purefoy – Euron
    Polly Walker – Septa Lemore

This would be great, but from what I here McKidd doesn’t want it so second choice: Viggo Mortenson. This thing started with a LOTR connection lets keep it going.

Also another great part coming up, who I think is going to turn out to be the unlikely hero of WOW – Lord too fat to sit a horse – Wyman Manderly – I’m thinking Robbie Coltrane.

218. FlayRansay
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Daniellica,

Yes but we are going to lose a lot of characters in the coming episodes.

219. Chuchulf
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

Yes, I see truth in your words, I also thought that Hurst is a bit young to be Victarion, and has a face that looks like more than a Lannister than a Greyjoy (whereas I can imagine Stevenson more as the brother of Balon Greyjoy). A blonde hair is the least thing, I’m sure that they could make Hurst blonde, although I’m not sure that – despite one of the coolest characters in my opinion – they will have Daven Lannister in the series.

I would also like to see Charlie Hunnam in GOT, that would be awesome. He might have time, considering that they are doing the final season for Sons of Anarchy. I don’t know that the production of SOA season 7 and GOT season 5 will overlap, but I’m rooting for Hunnam on this one.
    I’m not sure on who could he play though. Rolly Duckfield maybe? Your ideas are also good.

220. Rickard Greyjoy
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Yes, McKidd gets my vote too! More Rome alumni! Jason Issacs is second choice for me, just because he’s the only other who’s work I’m somewhat familiar with.

221. Dani
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

I like the way you think! If Paul Bettany or Alan Tudyk played Griff I would die happy! Two of my favorite actors though Bettany has the advantage here being English. I would also be happy with Henry Ian Cusick as Griff ( I’m still not over Desmond & Penny!) My other big hopes for next season are Alfred Molina for Prince Doran, Robbie Coltrane for Wyman Manderly, Ben Barnes for Darkstar (if they include him) I like someone elses suggestion of Garrett Hedlund for Young Griff but I wouldn’t get my hopes up since he’s American. I really hope they cast the Sandsnakes and Areo Hotah too but I don’t have any preferences for them.

222. Dani
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

OldeCrone,

OMG, How about a Pacific Rim reunion with Max Martini as Griff and Rob Kazinsky as Young Griff? :)

Another completely out there never gonna happen but how awesome would it be if it did casting for Griff: Kenneth Branagh

223. Starkfell91
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

What we need to be asking is who is going to play Areo Hotah??? We need to see that axe swinging Norvosie. If the Martell’s are cut the story TV story is shot. They are the Starks of the south and are way to important to leave out.