Michelle MacLaren on justified violence, Bran’s decision, and the Littlefinger reveal
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

The Hollywood Reporter has released more from their interview on last night’s action packed episode, “First of His Name,” with Thrones Director Michelle MacLaren. The interview confirms that the deepest mud she’s ever seen was in fact at Craster’s Keep, which left MacLaren quite impressed at the cast’s performance despite the conditions, and Kit Harington impressively executed all of his own sword work.

That sword work ended with Karl getting exactly what he deserved, a sword through the throat. (Perhaps one of the grisly shots from the Demented Canadian Duo that had to be dialled down?) MacLaren took special care in last week’s episode to lay the ground work to show just how horrible the mutineers were, making sure that the violence felt justified.

“These guys are horrible and they are doing horrible things. I don’t believe in gratuitous violence. I think it has to serve the story. It’s got to be justified. I was talking to David and Dan, and we decided when we see these guys in episode four, it’s got to be horrible. They’ve gone over to the dark side. So when Jon and his guys show up, we want them to take these guys down. We want them to rescue the wives at Craster’s Keep, and I think we’ve wanted that for a long time.”

Another thing we’ve wanted for a long time is any sort of reunion between the separated Stark family, which we were painstakingly close to last night. MacLaren details what she and Isaac Hempstead-Wright talked about when filming Bran’s decision to stop calling out for his brother Jon.

“It’s really important for him to take the time to see the decision on his face. With every one one of these big decisions, it’s almost like these young people are growing up and taking on the responsibilities of what’s been dealt to them. In that moment he needs to make that really tough decision, and it’s heartbreaking because he wants to be with his brother.”

While most of the action was at Craster’s Keep this episode, a key scene at the Eyrie can not be forgotten. After Littlefinger’s arrival no time was wasted in revealing his role in the poisoning of Jon Arryn, and no time was wasted moving on from the point. But MacLaren says that she trusts the audience to not miss a beat.

“In these highly serialized shows, you have to trust and hope your audience is following along. Audiences are really, really smart and you want to give them some credit for being invested in the storyline, and not throwing everything out really easily for people. There are these moments when you go ‘wait, what did they say? Oh! That’s because in season one this happened and in season two this happened.’”

For more from MacLaren including her thoughts on Daenerys’ decision to stay in Meereen, Tommen’s coronation, and finding the location for the scene between Arya and The Hound visit The Hollywood Reporter.

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Darth Hodor: If this is a consular ship, WHERE is the ambassador!?!? Hodor!

On an unrelated note, I wonder how many extras they crammed into the Red Keep set? It looked like as many as there were at the wedding. I’m still glad they held it outside though, because clearly there wasn’t the room for 700 guests.

2. Braavosi Bitcoiner
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

The reveal that the Lannisters are broke is more of a spoiler to me as a book reader than any Night’s King business from last week. Just wanted to say that.

3. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Braavosi Bitcoiner,

I find it to be a bit strange.

dont the writer know there is a differents between lannister and crown Gold?also they made the TyrellArmy smaller then the armys of the lannisters and starks…

4. SHMF
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Scene that had to be dialed down could have been the Crucifixion scene

5. Ser Habakuk
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Okay, so we wanted Jon and the Night’s Watch to kill all of those mutineers. But we didn’t want it to seem the least bit questionable. So we set them up as the most one-dimensionally evil characters we possibly could. That way everybody could cheer when we killed them off in the most brutal ways imaginable.

Now that’s quality writing for you. Multi-layered and stuff…

6. theonetruebastard
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I Know right i was like wait did tywin just say they BROKE say whattttt…..man hahahahah
    Braavosi Bitcoiner,

7. Octopus
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I’m kind of disappointed that to down play to the reveal of the murderer of Jon Arryn. But I really like the rest of the episode.
    My favourite scene has to be the Bran deciding between three eyed raven and Jon. It’s the most emotional scene this season so far. Bran has all of the most emotional scene in each season and Isaac’s really great at it.

8. Octopus
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I’m kind of disappoint how they down play the reveal of who killed Jon Arryn.
    But I’m pleased with the rest of the episode.
    My favourite scene has to be Bran deciding between finding three eyed raven and reuniting with Jon. It’s the most emotional scene in this season so far.
    Bran’s a lot of emotional scene in each season, and Isaac’s brilliant at it.

9. Jared
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:
    Darth Hodor: If this is a consular ship, WHERE is the ambassador!?!? Hodor!

10. Interior Bannisters
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Octopus:
    I’m kind of disappoint how they down play the reveal of who killed Jon Arryn.
    But I’m pleased with the rest of the episode.
    Bran’s a lot of emotional scene in each season, and Isaac’s brilliant at it.

I think they will deliver the whole story staggered throughout the season rather than let it all out in one final scene like the books. This gives viewers a chance to ponder that small bit of information before the entire story is revealed.

11. Ice & Fire Walk with Me
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Jared,

Someone should just pare it down to the maiming bits.

12. Veltigar
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Braavosi Bitcoiner:

They pulled that one out of their ass. There is no way that the Lannister gold status is the same in the books because no Lannister POV even casually thinks about it. Hell, Kevan Lannister (Tywin’s brother and most trusted councelor) is actually considering bailing the IT out with Lannister gold at the end of ADWD and he isn’t concerned about the status of their mines. Furthermore, the Greatjon has pillaged several Lannister gold mines in ACOK when Robb invaded the Westerlands. If the Northerners had found empty mines than they would have broke the news to everyone as quickly as they could. Another proof is the fact that Tywin gave Castamere to Rolf Spicer. The Reynes controlled the second biggest mines in the West. If the Lannisters had even a little bit of trouble they wouldn’t give away the land, castle and certainly not the mines away

It’s also stupid on the show. Those Lannister mines must employ large amounts of people. There is no way each and everyone of them would keep their mouth shut. People would know that the Lannister are running on fumes with their mines.

It’s pure bullshit and lazy writing.

Calvera: If God didn’t want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep. And he would have cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

13. Veltigar
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

WTF is wrong with this site? Pages full of comments just disappear and the spoilertags don’t fucking work anymore.

As always Mads Mikkelsen = Euron, you guys know the drill

14. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Ok this is becoming extremly worrying, we are at the middle of the season and the pace is still way too slow.

This is just boring, all my friends who havent read the books tell me and i must say i agrre.

Only reason i still watch is because i have the book to lean to, but without them this season is horrible.

Too many storylines and nothing happening.

15. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I’m glad Maclaren mentioned the violence of last week and insisted that it was not gratuitous. Just because something is uncomfortable to watch doesn’t make it gratuitous, but I suppose we’ve beaten this argument to death already.

I remember when American Psycho came out (the film) and many were screeching about degrading women and gratuitous sex and gratuitous violence and gratuitous sexual violence. Whether they knew the film was written by two women and directed by one of them, I have no idea, but I read a great article with those two ladies in a screenwriting mag and their view of the story was fascinating–they saw it as a feminist story. All the men are off their heads with bullshit, one of them basking in blood and sex and gore, this obvious reflection of apathy and materialism, and the only characters who ever make any sense in the whole movie are its women…well, some of them. :)

16. Winter is not coming
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink
  17. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Jared,

I have now, thanks! The Vader Vice was just the first thing that came into my head when (Br)odor did a bloody headLocke.

18. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Braavosi Bitcoiner,

I think the reason they had to go this path is because the show has to speed up Stannis interaction with the iron bank. In the books the Iron Bank goes to Stannis only after Cersi defaults on the throne’s loans because she is stupid and has no idea what she is doing all of which occurs after Tywin’s death. Tywin would have never defaulted on the loan if he was alive and had the money, thus the only way to have it make sense that Stannis is meeting with the Iron Bank before Tywin’s death is because Tywin has not been paying the debt because he does not have the money.

19. Ajotanelsona
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Just a quick 2 cents:
    Lack of gold mines does not indicate lack of gold. I would assume the Rock has plennnnty of reserves to pay whatever debts the Lannisters may have.

20. Braavosi Bitcoiner
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Oh yeah you’re right about that. Although maybe Kevaan had no idea?

You know, it’s the show that made me a book reader. After season 2 I read through all of them.

A small part of me thinks I should have waited so as not to be so prickish when plot points like these unfold.

21. Tatters
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Just quit already.
    Nothing has or will happen and all your favorite characters will die.
    Also the dragons never come. Joffrey will come back to life and start hanging starks.

22. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Eugene Toussaint,

This is clearly why they are going this route. I really don’t think it is that big of an issue for the show. So the mines are empty, okay, this is why Tywin needs the Tyrells. He still has plenty in reserve, I’m sure, but he doesn’t want it all to go to paying the throne’s debts.

23. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

The first 2 episodes were the best to start a season that the show has had. Sure, episodes 3-5 have not been as strong as season 3′s ‘Walk Of Punishment’,'And Now His Watch Is Ended’, and ‘Kissed By Fire’ trio, but that was as good a 3 episode stretch as the show has had. I’d rate the first 5 episodes as being better than season 2′s, but behind season 3 and season 1. I’m confident the final 5 episodes will be stronger than season 3′s, which had 2 or 3 not so great episodes in the final 5.

24. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Braavosi Bitcoiner:

Well, to be fair, it doesn’t mean they’re broke, just that they’re no longer rich. They still likely have quite an income from taxing their subjects just as all the other lords do.

And regarding the crown’s and the Lannister finances, they’re effectively one and the same at this point anyway, and I think Tywin’s point was that they couldn’t shit some gold and pay off the Iron Bank.

25. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Tatters:

Just quit already.
    Nothing has or will happen and all your favorite characters will die.

- What in the gods name did this show do with Cerseis character? Its horrible, shes a better mom than Catlyn now.

- Jorah tells Dany she cant take 7k with her army forgetting she has 3 f.kn dragons?

- It has f.kn started the boring Brianees arc of walking the riverlands.

- Hound and ARya – booooring. We are at the 5th episode and still no point to them.

- Red Viper … they made him into a Lannister lover.

- In this confusion of unnecessary sorylines and boring undeveloping arcs, Lysas confesion to LF has gone compleatly unnoticed to the unsullied. And while it should have been the big reveal it went unnoticed.
    Like they remember who Jon Arryn was … no way.

This show better get its act together and start killing off sidekicks and get the story in line.

26. Ser Habakuk
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

I’m not entirely sure adding violence to justify more violence makes the former non gratuitous.

I’m with you on the difference between a film being misogynistic and a film portraying acts of misogyny, though. I feel the same way about some of Sam Peckinpah’s works.

27. Shock Me
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

While I really enjoyed the fun beyond the wall in this episode, can anyone explain to me what Locke was planning on doing once he found Bran and Rickon at Craster’s? Was he going to kill both boys AND Jon Snow? Was he taking Bran only to find Rickon? He can’t have thought he could get either one or both back through the wall at Castle Black?

28. Tatters
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Expectations…

29. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

C’mon, have a little fun. At least we all got to hear Lysa scream. I know you loved that

30. Rafael
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

“MacLaren took special care in last week’s episode to lay the ground work to show just how horrible the mutineers were, making sure that the violence felt justified.”

I think that they made the mutineers a bit too bad people. It’s OK for the “good guys” to do questionable things/killing. Decisions like this just make the show more one dimensional.

31. King Stannis
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy: – What in the gods name did this show do with Cerseis character? Its horrible, shes a better mom than Catlyn now.

- It has f.kn started the boring Brianees arc of walking the riverlands.

- Red Viper … they made him into a Lannister lover.

Like they remember who Jon Arryn was … no way.

The award for the biggest complainer goes to….

32. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I think the violent death was definately justifiable.
    I have read some people complain about how violent it was, seriously???
    This show is known for its violence and these monsters deserved it.

33. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

is this person for real??
    LOL

unsullied here… and i can say that every unsullied i have spoken to has not stopped talking about LF… and if you go to the NEWBIE recap you can see the same.

you have serious issues. complain more?

34. kabhal
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Jared: Have you seen this? It might be my favorite thing on the Internet, at least for today. http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/65/62/ed9641df0fad51e3d69fe151baa12453-gif-of-the-day-wars-vs-thrones.gif

That is hilarious! =D

35. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

I thought you liked the show and hated AFFC and ADWD? You need to up your troll game and be more consistent. Pick an unpleasant character and stick to it.

36. Thoros of Brooklyn
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Addressing Cersei: She was manipulating the judges of the trial in this episode… including getting to Mace through Margarey

Addressing Dany taking King’s Landing: The dragons are not fully grown yet. And she’s obviously still in the process of taming them.

Addressing Brienne: Character development is a bad thing? Huh didn’t realize that.

Addressing the Hound and Arya: Again, it’s development. Since the Hound had already been left behind by this point in the books, they’re obviously setting development for something else to happen between those two.

Addressing Oberyn: How in the world was he a Lannister lover? He was constantly cynically and sarcastically answering questions with very clear bitterness behind answers, and he didn’t want to be with Cersei during their talk at all…

Addressing the LF reveal: I watch with my wife who is Unsullied. She immediately caught on to the Jon Arryn reveal and literally said “What?!?” out loud with wide eyes. For some reason you seem to assume people who haven’t read the books are very dumb or something.

37. Veltigar
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Braavosi Bitcoiner:
    Veltigar,

Oh yeah you’re right about that. Although maybe Kevaan had no idea?

I think it’s unlikely for Kevan not to know. He’s the eldest Lannister (well after Tywin that is) and he has always been Tywin’s most trusted leftenant and councelor. And Kevan is not looselipped at all. Everything tells us that he has Tywin’s full trust and he never even thinks about their supposed lack of gold.

If you haven’t read the books, you should still be pissed about this nonsensical change. There is no way that Tywin could contain such a huge political bomb for 3 years. There is a massive amount of miners that would speak out. And merchants, cart drivers, custom official, smiths, etc. would notice that the Lannisters don’t generate the same output anymore.

You came back – for a place like this. Why? A man like you. Why? To cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron of course

38. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

- It has f.kn started the boring Brianees arc of walking the riverlands.

- Red Viper … they made him into a Lannister lover.

Like they remember who Jon Arryn was … no way.

-Assuming she’s being completely honest and wasn’t trying to sway the sympathies of each person she talked to, all of whom are either judges in Tyrion’s trial or directly connected to one.

-3 f’n dragons she doesn’t seem to have much control over.

-Personally I liked Brienne’s journey, but I really doubt we’re going to get anywhere near the same level of detail in the show as in the books.

-There are many points, primarily in understanding the characters better and how they develop, but also in reflecting various themes of the episodes themselves. Plus their interactions are just enjoyable, as long as you’re not simplistically waiting for “something happening.”

-Only if you’re dumb enough to buy his bullshit.

-It’s not going unnoticed to the Unsullied with two brain cells to rub together. And for those who weren’t paying attention, fuck ‘em, what do you want, Lysa to scream it out while Petyr’s boning her?

I think if somebody like you doesn’t like the show it must be doing something right.

39. King Stannis
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Thoros of Brooklyn:

BOOM!!! Thank You! Take notes HVT

40. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Ser Habakuk:

Now that’s quality writing for you. Multi-layered and stuff…

Oy, come on, really? We’ve got nothing but multilayered characters on this show. Up until now, only Ramsey Snow and Gregor Clegane can be called unequivocal ‘evil’ (Hell, even Joffrey has a backstory of bad parentage and the look on his face when he chokes almost makes you feel bad for the guy). These guys were already criminals, no? So, c’mon. This show, up until now, has almost no moments of “FUCK YEAH!” Its best battle ends with the principals all still alive; one of its most satisfying kills, Craster, is completely undercut by the death of Mormont, which sucks. Ok, so, there’s Kraznys. But that’s one guy.

Hoyti Von Totiy,

You might want to stop watching, then. I’ve seen myself five very good episodes, including 2 classics. And this episode to me is on par with something like “Prince of Winterfell,” a mid-season ep with a lot of great character moments without a massive, major thing that happens.

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Hoyti Von Totiy,

The first 2 episodes were the best to start a season that the show has had. Sure, episodes 3-5 have not been as strong as season 3′s ‘Walk Of Punishment’,’And Now His Watch Is Ended’, and ‘Kissed By Fire’ trio, but that was as good a 3 episode stretch as the show has had. I’d rate the first 5 episodes as being better than season 2′s, but behind season 3 and season 1. I’m confident the final 5 episodes will be stronger than season 3′s, which had 2 or 3 not so great episodes in the final 5.

I’m not quite with you – I thought “Oathkeeper” and “First of His Name” were both very very strong, about on a par with Season 3′s first five in total b/c the first 2 hit pretty close to the “And Now…”/”Kissed by Fire” duo. And agreed, Season 3 had a late-season slog with “Bear and Maiden Fair” which on 2nd and 3rd viewings was *good* without being all that great. Besides, the Cersei stuff in this episode is just awesome. She’s killing it in every scene, seriously. And Sansa/Lysa! Fuck!! I dislike very little on this. Bran not being able to reunite with Jon – last time, it was physically impossible due to logistical reasons. This time it’s worse. Will he ever see his brother, ever again? Either way, I’m on board in general, I think it’s been a great first half, certainly better than Season 2, which has only one classic (“What is Dead…”) and a couple of ok episodes.

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Hoyti Von Totiy,

I thought you liked the show and hated AFFC and ADWD?You need to up your troll game and be more consistent.Pick an unpleasant character and stick to it.

I agree. The writing for Hoyti Von Totiy has really slipped this season. They were following the Troll Books for a good long time but now they’re going off on their own, and it’s just inconsistent. Sigh.

41. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Hey Fansided Mods…not seeing the “pages 1/2/3/4″ on the blog right now…anything wrong?

42. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Jeez, now I’m hit with it – comments disappear right after you try to post ‘em.

Either way, still really loving this season, think they’re handling things very well.

43. Hodorkovski
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Well, this gives a whole new resonance to the good ol’ “Lannisters always pay their debts”.

Even if it is simplified from the books, I do have a feeling it might be part of George’s long-term plot plan.

44. Don't care
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Lol… learn to subtext idiot.

45. Leo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

How I rank the episodes:

1) Breaker of Chains (what a truly seamless episode)
    Oathkeeper
    The Lion and the Rose
    Two Swords
    First of His Name (didn’t think Two Swords could be beat, but it has)

The Laws of Gods and Men will probably top Breaker of Chains next week. Yesterday was disappointing on every level. A very disorganized mess of scenes.

46. Jen@House Stark
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:

Me neither, technical difficulties being ironed out?

47. JamesL
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

SHMF,

No, it was rape at Craster’s. The concept of HBO having to tone down violence and gore is ridiculous. America culture is pretty much immune to violence even broadcast tv is filled with graphic images of violence and gore. Violence and gore is not taboo but sexual violence is hence all the criticism this show has received for it.

48. JamesL
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Octopus,

Most viewers do not give a shit who killed Jon Arryn because they don’t even remember that whole plot line, same thing with the dagger mystery.

49. Ser Habakuk
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

I’m not complaining about the show in general, I’m complaining about the way they handled the recent episode at Craster’s Keep. I’m complaining about the fact that they – according to Michelle McLaren – went out of their way to make those mutineers as unequivocally evil as they could so everybody could feel good when Jon and company showed up to slaughter them. I’m complaining about the fact that they intentionally eliminated all possible shades of grey in that particular episode.

Which I find boring. The reason I like this show is that it usually does not go this route. Usually it is not about how killing the “right” people is good and justified and fun and and wholesome and cheerable.

Personally, my secret hope was that Bran or Jojen would somehow convince Karl that their mission was important and the mutineers would allow them to move on. Shortly afterwards the Night’s Watch would have shown up and slaughtered the mutineers.

They would still have been assholes, but they might have been actual people instead of cartoon characters. And the Night’s Watch’s mission might not have been as unconditionally justified as they tried to paint it. After last week’s episode, I knew this would not happen. But it was what I was hoping for anyhow.

Instead we got a bunch of feel-good karmatic killings – Rast’s being the worst in my opinion. And we got the premature abandonment of an interesting character in Locke. That’s what I’m complaining about, because it is below the show’s usual standards.

50. JamesL
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Some of you fans seem to be bipolar. One week you are loving it then there is an episode you don’t like and the whole season sucks and show is ruined.

51. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Leo,

My updated season 4 episode rankings:

1. Two Swords
    2. Oathkeeper
    3. The Lion And The Rose
    4. Breaker Of Chains
    5. First Of His Name

I’ll keep pounding the drum for ‘Two Swords’. I loved every scene in that episode.

Posted May 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:

Yup, this has been driving me crazy all day. Pretty annoying that the site is still so buggy, weeks after the change over.

The page numbers work in this thread, but not in any of the recap threads.

53. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

I know some have questioned Sophie Turner’s ability to play anything other than spoiled brat/damsel in distress, but I think this episode proved her chops–her fear and panic and confusion and desperation at Lysa’s batshit crazyness was fucking great. Some might say she is still a damsel in distress–that she’s just traded one brand of crazy for another–but this is different. Lysa is family. This is supposed to be safety, by the old gods and the new–family is sacred. It’s a different dimension of fear Sansa has to deal with now, along with learning to play the game, and Sophie was awesome.

Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Agreed, I thought it was one of Sophie’s best scenes yet. Very impressive acting. She was never bad, but I think I was just getting really bored of Sophie’s story in King’s Landing. This scene was definitely one of her best yet.

55. JamesL
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Ser Habakuk,

You give GRRM too much credit, if having pure bad characters makes them “cartoon characters” than wouldn’t Joffrey, Ramsay, and the Mountain also be “cartoon characters”. There are plenty of pure evil characters in the books.

56. Ser Dosser
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 5:46 am | Permalink

I must say i kinda agree with Hoyte on this one.

57. Hodorkovsky
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

JamesL:
    Ser Habakuk,

You give GRRM too much credit, if having pure bad characters makes them “cartoon characters” than wouldn’t Joffrey, Ramsay, and the Mountain also be “cartoon characters”.There are plenty of pure evil characters in the books.

True. For a book series which gets tons of praise for its grey-area characters, the SOIAF certainly contains a lot of completely evil *ssholes.

How much grey area is there in Joffrey, Balon Greyjoy, Walder Frey, Ramsay Snow, the Mountain and his merry men, Polliver, Tickler, Vargo Hoat, etc?

58. Valaquen
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Ser Habakuk: we got the premature abandonment of an interesting character in Locke

This is honestly my only complaint. They should have given his death to Rast and kept him around for more Wall-Bolton intrigue. It would’ve been good to see Noah Taylor play off some of the Wildling characters later, and he was killing it in his scenes at Castle Black. Ach.

59. Ser Habakuk
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

JamesL,

Since I haven’t read the books, I’m not giving GRRM credit for anything, I’m afraid.

But of course you’re right, the mutineers are not the only examples of one-dimensional characters on the show – or in the books, I guess.

The main reason I was glad Joffrey died, was not that I was happy to see the evil boy tyrant get some of his own medicine, but because there was one less badly written character on the show.

Now as for the mutineers, what annoyed me was the amount of cheap karma involved in those scenes. Take Rast for instance: One week he is being mean to Ghost, the next he’s killed by him. Well, hooray.

So actually I’m not so much annoyed by the way they portrayed the mutineers, I’m annoyed by the reason why they portrayed them that way. They did so, so their slaughter by the Night’s Watch and the brutal scenes going along with it would be “justified”.

To quote Michelle MacLaren: “I was talking to David and Dan, and we decided when we see these guys in episode four, it’s got to be horrible. . . . So when Jon and his guys show up, we want them to take these guys down.

By now I’m used to there being purely evil characters on the show, what I’m not used to is the show runners going out of their way to ensure the actions of the show’s heroes are being portrayed as purely good.

60. Unsullied and happy about it
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

For what it’s worth: Unsullied and completely remembered and was blown away by Jon Arryn reveal. I hope the others were as well.

61. YeOldGods
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

- It has f.kn started the boring Brianees arc of walking the riverlands.
    - Red Viper … they made him into a Lannister lover.
    Like they remember who Jon Arryn was … no way.

This comment encapsulates why this site’s comment boards are now the worst thing on the internet. Congrats, HVT. You did it.

62. axia777
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

These people are fools. To much gratuitous violence? Then do not ever read the books. Ever. For the rest of time. If the show disgusts people then the books will horrify those people.

People. It is hilarious to say the least.