Unsullied Recap, Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 5 – First of His Name
By Oz of Thrones on in Recap.

LysaS4
Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask that all Sullied book-readers refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand or afterwards, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  The moment we have all been waiting for… well, some of us have been waiting for has come and gone, but is safely stored on the House Oz DVR for essential subsequent viewings.  And there it will stay until your face graces the cover of the Season 4 Box Set.  Welcome home, my dear.

But Episode 5 was not an overall joyous occasion, for with acquisition comes forfeiture.  You gain a favorite; you lose a favorite.  And dammit man, for Locke the end came to soon.  At least he went out in original fashion.

Let’s discuss the fantasy yin and yang that is Game of Thrones, where enjoyment meets despair and then repeats, yet never seems to get old.

The King Without a Pounce

Tommen is crowned and Marg and Cersei discuss the possibility of more weddings to come.  Cat lovers have reason to be outraged that Ser Pounce was not shown in attendance.  Cersei seems open to the idea of Marg still becoming the Queen, but that has to be total kitty litter.  I won’t be surprised if she eventually tries to claw Marg’s eyes out.

Irrelevant topic: Would Pycelle be able to walk in a more upright position if he removed some of the metal appendages that always seem to be weighing down his neck?  He is the Mr. T of Westeros without the mohawk.

Dany Is Coming to Wester… oh, nevermind

Dany is shown holding a meeting with all of the essential personnel and word comes that Astapor and Yunkai are in disarray.  I guess I understand the significance of being able to control what you have already conquered before moving on to bigger goals.  That being said, Dany has been talking about taking what is hers since S1 and while progress has been made, she doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to do it.

Irrelevant topic:  Has the word “Khaleesi” even been said this season?  On average at the halfway point, we’ve at least heard it said five times or more by Jorah alone.

More Relevant Topic:  Again, where are the dragons?  The dragon lovers must be growing impatient.

Lord Valeish

And finally…

The bewb was not exposed, yet an older Robin still lay firmly on his mother’s breast, as happy as you would expect any man resting on Lysa’s breast to be.

OK, before you all throw up, I am kidding.  But finally the itch is scratched and the fruitcake is back in the kitchen.  And this Lysa is different.  She seems so relaxed. So happy.  So full of life.  This is Xanax Lysa.

And then it becomes painfully apparent that Lysa is not as predisposed to me as I once thought.  She and Baelish have a long history that includes earlier romantic encounters and she is obviously thrilled to be engaged to him.  Those damn Lannisters that killed your husband… wait, what?  You did it?  You killed Jon Arryn? You want to get married right now?  Sure, can I take a shower?  Hell no.  There’s no time like the present.  Say your vows Petyr!  The game of moans is afoot!

And this, my friends, is why I hold this enchantment with Lysa.  You never know what the hell she is going to do.

Irrelevant topic: Did anyone else think it was weird to watch Littlefinger make out with someone?  Or is this merely a jealousy issue?

Irrelevant topic #2: Lysa is a screamer.

Later, Lysa finally puts her crazy pants back on when she all but accuses Sansa of sleeping with Petyr and potentially carrying his baby.  Luckily, the Xanax kicks back in and Sansa finds solace where so many others have found it: in the bosoms of Lysa.   Oh, and you are going to marry Robin.  Welcome to safety.

The Tywin Mines

Tywin and Cersei discuss marriage and money and it becomes more apparent that the Cersei/Loras planned nuptials may actually take place after all.  Did I understand correctly that Tywin might be broke, or was it the fact that the mines are not churning out income at this point in time?  Either way, the Iron Bank is owed a “tremendous” amount and will likely cause issues for the realm soon.

Relevant Topic: Stannis?

The Needle in the Hound

We catch up with Sandor trying to get some sleep as Arya runs through her list of the damned.  I enjoyed the dancing sword homage and the Syrio mention, and the Hound’s responses were classic as always.  But I also felt like this scene was inserted for no real reason as it had little bearing on the episode itself.  Perhaps if they had mentioned the Vale, this scene would have been more at home.

Relevant topic: In terms of acting, Rory McCann has been overlooked at times in his portrayal of the Hound and deserves to be considered for some type of supporting role accolade.  The guy just nails it.

No Experience Resquired

The newest odd couple of Westeros, Pod and Brienne, are en route to the Wall in search of Sansa.  Pod did not read his mandatory squire copy of Horseback Riding for Dummies or Cooking Rabbit for Dummies, yet Brienne realizes she needs him anyway.  Pod is quickly becoming one of the more entertaining characters in this series and I think this pairing will be quite enjoyable.

Oberyn, the Poet

Cersei catches up with Oberyn and reveals that he is a legendary fighter and is feared throughout Westeros.  I’m not exactly sure what the point of this scene was other than to point out that Oberyn has a reputation and wants to give Tyrion a fair trial, and that Cersei has a gift for Myrcella.  Maybe there will be more to it revealed later.

Irrelevant Topic: Did Oberyn have more silver highlights in his hair?

Hodor Unchained

The Keep scenes made this episode what it was, and were very well done.  I can’t decide if Jojen is about to die or is just in need of food and water or rest, but I loved the dialogue between he and Karl.

The Hodor crushing of Locke was, for lack of a better term, awesome.  The flip side is that we lose Noah Taylor, and that just blows.  We gained a Lysa.  We lost a Locke.  And for most likely what will be the final time, I get to say, TECH SUPPPORT.  All hail Noah Taylor.  If you happen to read this Noah, thanks for being a part of this epic story.  You only made it better.

The Karl/Jon fight scene was one of the best in the show to date, IMO.  Well executed and choreographed.

And finally, we may have seen the last of Crasters.  Nothing good ever happens at the Keep, but in the end something finally did.

Episode 405 Personal Awards

Favorite Scene:  The Keep scenes, although Kate Dickey portrays Lysa beautifully.
Most Shocking Quote:  “I will not sail for Westeros.”  -Dany (sarcasm font)

Sansa’s Favorite Quote :   “Aahhhh.  Oahhhh.  Aahhhh. Aahhh.  Ohhhh. Ahhhh.” -Lysa
Ow, That Shit Hurts Award:  Karl getting the business in his throat.

Final Thoughts: The return of Lysa was bittersweet due to the loss of Locke and it remains to be seen exactly how her insertion back into the story is important (ew… maybe that was a bad choice of words).  Regardless, her mood swings and overall nuttiness have always been intriguing, and her jealousy surrounding Petyr make her even more volatile.

The action sequences at Craster’s brought a great end to the episode and a horrible location, but as a whole I felt like 405 was choppy and a bit slow at times.  I realize the importance of storytelling, but a couple of the scenes left me wondering exactly what the show was trying to accomplish.  I will defer judgment until later.

That’s it for me today Ladies and Sers!  What were your favorite quotes?  Scenes?

Likes? Dislikes? Grumblings?  Sound off…. Everyone is welcome.

BUT NO SPOILERS HERE!  NO HINTS! NO BOOK RELATED DISCUSSION!

A man can be followed in the birdverse now @ozofthrones.

Make sure you tune in sometime Saturday for the 2nd annual Looking Forward Halftime Show!  I can’t claim it’s as entertaining as the Super Bowl’s equal, but where else offers a GoT mid-season extravaganza?

Until then, have a great week, have a slice of Lysa fruitcake, and may there always be peace in your realm. –Oz

“Unbowed.  Unbent.  Unsullied.”

PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THE UNSULLIED… Do not post spoilers in this comment thread!

1. KG
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

—–

2. Arya's Nose
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Will there be a curtain call for Noah Taylor & Burn Gorman?

3. Interior Bannisters
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I love your unsullied recap and your unusual Lysa love

4. Jen@House Stark
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I just see Burn Gorman as that scientist on Pacific Rim, can’t take him seriously, I just laugh and laugh. Thanks, Oz, wonderful as always :clapping:

5. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Love this Oz.

First – Was I the only one that shed some tears and got emotional when Bran was staring at Jon, deciding what do, and they play that sad Stark music? I knew it was too good to be true to see a Stark reunion. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Secondly – I knew Little finger was running the show – What a man! I too found it weird when he was kissing Lysa. I fear for poor Sansa… from one horrible thing to another. Tyrion was a Much better hubby than the freak robin is.

Did I understand that they have been married this whole time?!?!?

I thought it was a great episode…I think I am biased though. I don’t think I would ever say “That was OKAY” about this show..
    Even though it feels choppy to you Oz, I think they have to insert scenes in order to keep us updated on the different story lines.. For example, the Arya Scene was to show us that they are still on their way and have not been attacked or captured or side tracked… and they had to show us the continued development of their relationship.

6. Eorr
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Sullied, love your recaps. Takes me away and lets me pretend I don’t know what’s happening next (which for this season isn’t that far of a stretch).

7. Blutrabe
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Arya’s Nose:
    Will there be a curtain call for Noah Taylor & Burn Gorman?

8. mellowjohn
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

re: ser pounce.
    having shot a commercial involving cats that took from 9 a.m. until 3 the next morning to wrap, CATS ARE A BITCH TO WORK WITH. i love the 3 i’ve got at home, but they don’t take direction well.

9. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Blutrabe: Don’t forget Rast. He might be a minor character, but he was in… what? 12 episodes?

Big sexy group thing.

10. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I did not find this episode boring or choppy at all. Actually it was my favorite post-Purple-Wedding episode so far. Finding out that Littlefinger and Lysa conspired to kill Jon Arryn was an insanely shocking revelation, even more shocking than when we found out last week that Littlefinger killed Joffrey. This makes you wonder just how much of what we have witnessed so far has been orchestrated by Littlefinger – it’s really mindblowing.

To me the episode felt as though after a lot of back-and-forth the directions in which the lead characters are going to go are finally set: we now know that Bran will definitely go further North, he had the chance to reunite with his half-brother and ultimately decided not to. We know that Baelish sort of is the mastermind of conspiracies in Westeros, and I can only assume that he will further try to advance his cause, knowing that what he really wants is “everything”. We know that Dany currently has no intentions of going to Westeros. And we know that at King’s Landing people are moving forward as well: Tywin wants to see his alliances strengthened through another two strategic marriages, Cersei is ready to move and already tries to manipulate Tyrion’s judges, and Margery will further try to tighten her grip on Tommen.

Overall the episode felt as if a lot of lose ends were finally coming together now. Still, there are some storylines that are apparently going nowhere, most prominently the Stannis arc. However, Tywin admitting that King’s Landing is actually broke combined with Davos writing a letter to the very financial institute that Tywin owes a “tremendous amount” to leads to believe that there might be a major confrontation coming up…

11. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Gosensgo,

The Bran watching Jon scene reminded me of Arya at the Twins and being so close to making contact with a relative.

I know they have to insert the story lines to keep them somewhat fresh on the minds. This one just didn’t seem to flow as well. Still, it was a good episode and I am by no means complaining. Best show on television, period.

12. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

I agree. I see what you mean.
    I was thinking of you during the show – I thought you would dislike Lysa now! LOL

13. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Vladimir Bolton,

Agree!
    Do you think that little finger has anything to do with the Iron Bank?

14. Danyarya
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Okay, show of hands. . . how many people thought of Oz when they saw Lysa? I chuckled to myself, thinking, “Ozzette’s probably telling him, ‘Stop jumping up and down, you’re blocking the TV!’” :)

I’ve read a couple of recaps now that complained that the Dany sequence was slow. Well, I think that it did serve a purpose for non-book readers: to give the unsullied insight on why she doesn’t just go across the Narrow Sea and let Drogon eat Tommen and his cat. (Not that I’d want to see that. . . I think Tommen is sweet. . . but wouldn’t that pretty much be what would happen?)

Anyone else want to punch Jojen in the face when he told Brann to leave Jon alone and come on? I was like, “Boy, you are a bad influence, let him say hi to Jon!”

Poor, poor Sansa. . . someone please save her from crazy people!!!

15. Siobhán Mooney
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Glad that you got your fill of Lysa, Oz. ;) I did like the Jon and Bran stuff Oop Norf, but I thought that the Eyrie scenes were the best.

16. Kay
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Where are the DRAGONS? We have only had one sighting this season and I am getting very impatient!

It felt like the episode was on a holding pattern till the big action sequence north of the Wall. Yay for the end to Craster’s Keep! That part was very exciting, the other parts except for Lysa and Littlefinger, felt like filler. Oberyn and Cersei? What, why? Also Oberyn has EIGHT daughters? Surprising, but what is the relevance? Pod and Brienne are entertaining, but if time is short per episode, I don’t know why awkward riding and unskinned rabbit BBQ both had to be included.

The Meereen parts seemed like an afterthought in this episode by the director and writers. A change from “Let’s go to Westeros” for three plus seasons to “I wanna rule here” came very suddenly. No doubts to make time for Arya and the Hound’s endless wandering around scenic countryside. I really hope they reach their destination soon – do they have one? Though the Hound grows more awesome by the day, I agree.

Good episode, but a few notches down from the first four.

17. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Danyarya,

I didn’t want to punch him, but at the same time like you I thought, “Can’t Bran just say hello?”
    And I think Ozzette likes her weird ass as much as I do (but won’t admit it). :)

18. Restore The Day
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I loved this Arya callback so much that I went back to season 1 and rewatched all Syrio Forel scenes. #SyrioSyrioWhereforArtThouMySyrio

19. Jared
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Arya’s Nose:
    Will there be a curtain call for Noah Taylor & Burn Gorman?

Yes, please! Make it happen, mods! I know that I would love the opportunity to say goodbye to two of the more memorably sadistic killers that this show has given us. Gorman and Taylor made those characters truly unforgettable with a bare minimum of screentime.

Irrelevant topic: Would Pycelle be able to walk in a more upright position if he removed some of the metal appendages that always seem to be weighing down his neck? He is the Mr. T of Westeros without the mohawk.

Thank you so much for this, Oz.

20. Kevin
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Oz, all Maesters wear those chains. Maesters Aemon & Luwin have similar ones

21. rwwmusic
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

To me, Petyr Baelish shall now and forever be known as Unclefinger.

22. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Kay,

All indications are that Arya and the Hound are going to the Vale. What we don’t know is roughly where they are currently located. My point in the post was that their scene could have been more relative to the episode had they mentioned it, including a guesstimate on where they thought they might be.

23. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Kevin, Valyrian Plastic,

I totally understand and figured there was a significance. Ozzette calls them “the shackles”.

24. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Harry Lime,

To the contrary, I absolutely noticed it. However, it seemed a non-issue as both Tywin and Oberyn alluded to having a fair trial and didn’t appear to be persuaded by her. But, as always, I could be mistaken.

25. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

John M W,

No, I don’t think she is genuinely nice about anything. And I completely understand your notion. I only question her effectiveness.

26. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I was not a fan of the killing of Locke by Bran-through-Hodor, mainly because of the icky mind-control issues involved, desperate situation, yes, but I can’t help but picture Ned telling Bran that “One does not simply warg into Hodor.” The moment where Hodor was staring at his bloody hands, and then at the corpse at his feet… Yeah, no.

But yay for Lysa! And Cersei trying her hand at politicking rather than sitting passively swilling her wine and expecting others (Jaime) to fix her problems for her. I like Cersei better with some agency.

27. Unsullied n°5651952
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Nice episode. For me the best parts of the episode were the ones with Lysa Arryn. The actress is amazingly good. And THE awesome revelation : she poisoned Jon Arryn !! Because Littlefinger asked her ! And she lied in the letter that Catelyn reads in the very first episode of season 1. It was written that the Lannisters killed her husband. That was not true.

This means that the investigation of Ned Stark for Jon Arryn’s death was biased at the very beginning : Littlefinger wanted him to believe it was the Lannisters, and so lighten up the tension between Starks and Lannisters. If we recall, this is what Littlefinger did from the very beginning of the series :

- We know that he borrowed a lot of money during all the reign of Robert. This in order to put the realm into debt. OK, Robert was the main responsible for this, but Littlefinger never advised him to stop.
    - Then he asked Lysa, who was apparently in love with him from the very beginning (they grew up together in Riverrun after all) to poison Jon Arryn and send a letter to Catelyn saying it was because of the Lannisters.
    - Then he lied to Cat about the knife of the assassin wanting to kill Bran in his sleep, saying it belonged to Tyrion, in order to strengthen the tension between Starks and Lannisters, and hopefully starting a war. He succeeded.
    - Then he betrayed Ned Stark in King’s Landing, which lead to its death and thus more war.
    - Then he made the alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells in season 2 in order to defeat Stannis. Because Stannis is not a man that you can deceive. He would have lost his position (and maybe his head too). This plot was merely survival I guess.
    - He plotted with Olenna Tyrell in order to kill Joffrey, that was too lunatic for him. He also wanted to get Sansa. He succeeded in both.

He is the real mastermind on Game of Thrones. He provoked the war between the Starks and the Lannisters, and indeed always gets what he wants. Is it going to stop at some point ? Wow, this revelation was amazing.

Then I don’t understand why no one is happy about the Cersei/Oberyn scene. It seemed clear to me that Cersei wanted to manipulate the three judges by being kind with all of them : Mace through Margaery, then Tywin, then Oberyn.

The thing that I didn’t like in this episode was the Dany scene, it seemed really rushed to me. She takes her decision too fast. I didn’t feel the scene really natural. I’m not sure it’s because of Emilia. I think it’s more a problem of writing, the pacing of the scene was strange, quite rushed.

It was of course stupid to see Karl turning his back to Jon Snow, very cliche, but Karl was a very typical villain to begin with so that could not be helped I suppose. I am not a big fan of this Craster’s plot.

28. Shock Me
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

If filler is the right word, I’d say the filler for this episode also held the most action. Everything north of the wall, as fun as it was (HODOR), did nothing to move things foreword and could have been excised without impacting the direction of the characters involved.

The rest of episode was mostly talking but densely packed with information. I especially loved the conversation about the Iron Bank between Tywin and Cersei.

Another thing I loved was Arya’s water-dancing practice. I hope she gets to use it at some point in the future.

The final part of loved is the acknowledgement that Daeny’s campaign so far as had no lasting impact on Slaver’s Bay and that I fear she is getting sucked into a nation-building quagmire with the worst possible building materials. Everyone who balked at her triumphalism was finally rewarded for their foresight.

Qarl’s final scene with Meera was absolutely genius in finishing out his character sketch although I wondered why they didn’t take the hostages indoors for leverage over Jon Snow or taunt him about them when he DID see “Lord Snow”. (Which would assume that Qarl knew Jon Snow was with the Night’s Watch attackers prior to the attack. So this can be forgiven.)

Doings at the Vale were the best of the night. Lysa spinning on a dime to accuse Sansa of bedding Littlefinger. Creepy little Robin becoming her new fiance. Just perfect.

29. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Quit explaining things, Sullied!

30. Shock Me
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont:

Yes that is how I like my scheming Cersei. Less overtly threatening and therefore more ominous.

31. Jared
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I knew what the chain was ;) I was just expressing my appreciation for Oz’s Mr. T reference.

32. Dan
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I can’t help but feel sorry for Sansa. Out of the frying pan, and into the fruit cake.

33. Soopa Doop
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

I don’t think Baelish has had direct contact with anyone from there, but I do believe Littlefinger had them as a piece of his plan. Remember, Baelish was Master of Coin and had this reputation among the Small Council of being a magician with money. Actually, I think he became Master of Coin so he could spend all of the Lannisters’ money and just keep borrowing from the Ironbank until an enemy was smart enough to seek the Ironbank’s assistance. When Stannis made his intention clear to challenge Joffrey, Baelish planned his escape of King’s Landing to the one place that is almost impossible to attack, The Eerie.

And can we just applaud Baelish for hatching a plan to not only build an alliance with the Tyrells, but his plan originally was to get rid of his love’s husband, Ned and an enemy who is just as smart as he is, Tyrion.

Baelish anticipated Ned’s honor would force him to investigate Arryn’s death. Knowing why caused him to state Joffrey has no right to the throne, which would lead to his death or life on The Wall. Both would keep him away from Catelyn, the love of his life.

When Catelyn went to hunt those responsible for Bran’s assassins, Baelish points his little finger to Tyrion knowing the path Cat took may lead her to the Vale. Why else was Lysa so determined to execute Tyrion once Cat brought him under her roof? Tyrion’s death would have caused all out war between The Lannisters and The Starks. If Bronn didn’t interfere, who knows how far into his plan Baelish would be now. Respect for the man who almost caused the end of two of the biggest families without fighting any of them.

34. Chris
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

“Would Pycelle be able to walk in a more upright position if he removed some of the metal appendages that always seem to be weighing down his neck?”

Actually that shambling stoop and feeble ol’ demeanor is all a phony act of Pycelle’s, as we saw after his paid rendezvous with Roz back in… ummm… Season one? He’s actually quit the vigorous old fellow who’s just hiding behind a …what?… nonthreatening elderly geezer facade.
    Having seen it, I really regret the deletion of the deleted scene involving Pycelle and Tywin in which Tywin announces he’s not fooled at all and Pycelle stands up straight and speaks strongly on his value to House Lannister. Some commenters thought the scene heavy handed but it gave us more about Pycelle and his own little game. …and more about how nobody pulls one over on Tywin

35. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Soopa Doop,

very well said.
    This is crazy!

36. A flayed man none
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

The GOT writers always seem to weave some theme into their episode titles. While “First of His Name” is an obvious reference to Tommen’s coronation, it also echoes through the Arya/Hound scene where Arya is reciting off her list of future victims. Further, it runs through the Sansa scenes, where Lord Baelish takes a bride (thus changing her name), and Sansa hears for the first time that she will be marrying her cousin (I don’t know if Lord Robin Arryn, Warden of the East, is also a “first of his name,” but perhaps he is).

Names also play a role in Oberyn’s discussion with Cersei, and in Cirsei’s chat with Margaery.

It’s always fun to review the episode and deconstruct these interwoven themes. That’s just how good the writing is on this show.

37. Strider
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

There, Oz! You showed me! Pfft Oz “dropping Lysa like a hot potato” were my exact words after viewing the ep. I kid you not! Should have known us for what we are.. me the fool and you the loyal fan!

I’m one of Petyr’s and one of the Iron Bank. Good to see Tywin and Cersei in a bind over money. That war stuff don’t come easy, you Lannisters who apparently are no longer capable to shit gold!

Ha! @ Soopa Doop. Forensic accounting needed! Petyr was fricking Master of the Coin, wasn’t he?! Unchecked by anyone while Robert was alive.

38. OldeCrone
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

As ever, I have enjoyed your post. Both Sansa’s and Arya’s story-lines, in different ways, remind me in a strange fashion of the “Perils of Penelope Pitstop”. Out of one awkward situation and into another.

39. Chris
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Re the Hound and Arya story line, after a brilliant opening scene to close the first episode, the last two scenes have been really repetitive and somewhat meaningless. The world is a harsh place, The Hound is a bad ass dude who takes what he wants, Arya is a little hardened but is still a little girl and somewhat naive. We get it, let’s move on to something more meaningful. Re Dany, for whatever reason, I’m thinking we get a lot of Shakespeare action in the next few episodes. “The 2nd Sons have retaken Astapor, my queen. Let me tell you so we don’t need to show the action.”

40. Ender
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I liked how Cersie was systematically trying to influence each of Tyrion’s judges (Tywin, Oberyn, and Mace Tyrell through his daughter Margaery, who will “have to talk with her father”) – well done scenes.

41. Amanda M
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Glad you finally got your Lysa :P I’m wondering your thoughts on the significance of the fact that Lysa and LF were behind Jon Arryn’s death. If you think about it, the entire events of the series would not have happened without his death. Crazy to find out who was actually behind it all, yes? :)

42. Unsullied n°5651952
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I wonder if The Hound and Arya will meet Brienne and Pod. That would be cool.

43. Tom Hilton
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Book reader here, so I knew about the Jon Arryn revelation…but my sweetheart lost it. She was wide-eyed and jaw-dropped for the next ten minutes (we had to pause the show) as she worked out all the implications of this. For her, this was the most shocking moment since Ned’s head.

44. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

Yes. Shocking to say the least. The implications of the action itself are mind blowing and something that many Unsullied may not even grasp yet.

It also begs the question, what is Littlefinger NOT directly or at least somewhat responsible for? The guy seems to at least be partially pulling the strings on almost everything power related.

45. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I thought of you when Lysa showed up Oz!

46. Unsullied n°5651952
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Watching season 1 again with that in mind is going to be amazing.

47. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Eyes,

Well, I do hope it was a happy thought. I do want all of you to know that was not my intent. I am intrigued by strong-willed, independent, somewhat off-kilter women.

Unsullied n°5651952,

I agree 100%. It’s one thing to list the connecting incidents on a page, but a re-watch now is the way to go and takes on an entirely new meaning.

48. Clob
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2QP4hfs5s
    “If you ever call me sister again I’ll have you strangled in your sleep.”

Cersei may have some stragglin’ to do. :P

49. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Question: Did little finger send for Bran to be murdered then?

50. mellowjohn
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Jared,

they were great, tho i still have a hard time reconciling noah taylor’s “locke” with charlie bucket’s father in the tim burton/johnny depp version of “charlie and the chocolate factory.”

51. Darkstar
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Did Oberyn have more silver highlights in his hair?

Glad you noticed too. I thought that was weird.

52. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

What if Roose and Littlefinger are plotting together and plan on taking over the whole damn continent?

53. Ghost of Godswood
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Arya’s water dancing was the favorite set piece,Littlefinger’s finger in all sorts of mayhem was a “wow’ moment,and Lysa’s vocalizing keeping Sansa awake was hilarious. What an episode! Bring back Silvio Forel please!

54. Mewcat
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Oz, GREAT post, as usual. I thought of you when Lysa came on, and figured your eyes were glued to the screen. You really did enhance my enjoyment of her scenes, and I laughed a lot when she was ‘howling’ like a wolf!! ha ha. I like your term Xanax Lysa–really fits. She really came off as un-balanced, and should be fun to watch in future. Ahhh, ser Pounce wasn’t there but I do believe there will be some kind of cat fight between Cersei & Margaery…those claws are not out yet, but you just could feel the tension. I kept expecting Cersei to take a swipe at Margaery. Will miss Locke, he was really good, but I loved the way he died. Sure did deserve it. Looking forward to your Halftime show/post!!! Keep ‘em coming!

55. Nagga´s Kin
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

At first, I was surprised to learn that looney Lisa actually has the hots for LF. After all, highborn ladies usually marry highborn lords for political reasons. However, her lovesick obsession does explain why she was prepared to poison her own husband for him. That man was King Robert’s Hand at the time, i.e. LF’s boss.

Still, discovering that LF had been up to his “chaos is a ladder” tricks way earlier than we had been led to believe makes me wonder just when his string of lies began. The Houses Arryn, Stark and now Lannister have all lost family members – and much more besides – to his sly machinations. Was he also somehow involved in the demise of the Targaryens or, was he still a boy when that happened?

56. Gosensgo
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

That could be very possible…!!!!!!!! i would not be surprised.

i was referring to the first time when he told Cat the dagger was tyrions…

57. Ulf the Wolf
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Just how many of Kraster’s daughters survived? Anyone who knows?

58. Sergei Walankov
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I’m pleased that the Lannisters’ war-induced debt crisis is developing as a plot point, because the way things were panning out, it didn’t appear that Joffrey’s “bit of theatre that will haunt our family for a generation” (as Tyrion described the execution of Ned Stark) had actually done them any harm.

59. Sergei Walankov
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont:

He’s the guy with no head, right?

60. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

And I think you are right on point. My thing was the effectiveness of her efforts, while just watching last night, seemed minimal.

The acceptance of Marg to gain favor with Mace makes sense, but it hasn’t happened yet. However, he may be the easiest to persuade in the end.

Tywin dismisses her and states that he will not discuss the trial… I don’t know how that could be viewed as productive.

And then Oberyn says that Tyrion will have a fair trial (or something of the like).

This is what I meant by somewhat pointless… I don’t know that she actually achieved anything.

61. Nikola S
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Incredible episode! My favorite of this season so far and probably one of my favorite episodes of the show.

Just FYI, Im one of the Unsullied.

So many great moments in this episode! But lets focus on Cersei. While I was watching the episode I was kind of buying that maybe she was looking out for her family and its name, so to speak. That she was helping out her father and planing out the future of the family. But now after giving it some thought I realized that everything she was saying was complete and utter BS! Even her talking about her kids, yes she cares about them but she was only doing what actors do all the time, meaning she was using personal experience to fake emotion and “trick” the audience. (funny that an actor was acting, acting, to trick an audience, Oberyn, and maybe even us as the TV audience).

What she was doing was gaining points with all three judges of the trial. And I´ll go over every thing she did, she did allot in this episode.

Lets start with Tywin. She actually hit two birds with one stone with her first throw. When she approached Margaery. She gained points with Margaerys father, who will find out about that and at the same time gained points with her father. He sees it as her showing interest in the family and its legacy. Something that his sons never did (in his mind, Tyrion actually did allot for the family). By marrying her son off to Margery she is bringing the Tyrell family to their family. And not only did she do that but she scored even more points with her father by saying that a few days after her sons wedding to Margaery she would be marrying Loras, cementing the bond between the two families even more.

Later she also gains points with Oberyn, by showing her motherly side. That both of them have suffered similar losses and were powerless to stop it bla bla bla.

My point is this. As soon as he trial is over she will stab Margaery through the neck, tell Loras to fuck off and laugh at Oberyn for being a fool. I dont mean this literally, Im just stating a point. =D

62. mariamb
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else think it was weird to watch Littlefinger make out with someone?

Yes – “skeevy” is the word that comes to mind.

Did Oberyn have more silver highlights in his hair?

I thought that he did but it doesn’t matter…he’s sexy with silver highlights now.

I most certainly was thinking of Oz and wondering if he had his fill of Lysa’s brand of crazy.

63. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Yes Littlefinger making out with someone is really creepy. He’s just so sleazy.

Poor Sansa having to listen to that.

64. B
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Kay,

Kay, as a book reader I am soooo freakin excited about your comments!

65. Udi
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

One does not simply walk into the Eerie and marry Lysa… err… scrap that!
    Love your recaps Oz, and all the posts are fun to read.

66. dragonreborn
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Xanax Lysa ahahahahaha

67. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I keep hearing the word “filler” used to describe this episode.

How is character development “filler” in a character-driven story?

Not even Sullied know which direction all of the storylines will take in this show–how does anyone know what will or will not be important later on? How do we know the scene with Arya/Hound doesn’t set up for Syrio Forel to come back and unknit the Hound’s armor with his sword? (this is not a spoiler…as far as I know!) We don’t.

Shows need moments to breathe between the action, be it exposition or character development or world building or just plain entertainment, all of which add to the overall enjoyment and comprehension of the story as a whole if we can allow our expectations to chillax.

So the next time you question whether a scene is “necessary,” perhaps take a step back and ask yourself the following: Is it necessary to give a f*ck about these characters? Is it necessary to understand the context of events past, present, and future? Is it necessary to build the intricacies of relationships, or the ramifications of choices, or the atmosphere of the completely invented world we are exploring?

I think so :)

BTW this is not in response to anyone in particular, but the misconception that every scene must “move the plot forward” is quite common and, in my opinion, most unfortunate. Stories are like trees, with a strong central trunk but also multivarious branches reaching in all directions–the trunk does not necessarily need the branches, but they bring in more nutrients and allow the tree to blossom. I’d rather look at a Weirwood than a stick in the mud.

68. Kay
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Soopa Doop:
    Gosensgo,

B:
    Kay,

Kay, as a book reader I am soooo freakin excited about your comments!

Thankee. :) Though I am a little uncertain as to what in my comments caused this excitement.

69. TOIVA
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Interesting episode, but I didn’t like it as much as the previous two. Maybe because most of the ‘juicy’ moments were in the first half or so.

Biggest shocker: Littlefinger and Lysa murdering Jon Arryn and starting all the mess (with Littlefinger steering Catelyn into taking Tyrion, then getting and befriending the Tyrrels, …). I guess there’s no need for any ‘Unsullied Mysteries post’ anymore. It’s all Littlefinger (at least partially).

And clearly Lysa is to Littlefinger what Ros or anyone else is to him (maybe except Sansa). He’ll get rid of her as soon as he doesn’t need her. Clearly he’s been using her affection towards him for ages. (I’d worry for her, Oz, I don’t think she’ll be here for long.)

Other shocking scenes involved Cersei. After previous episodes, I believed she really lost her mind. Clearly I was wrong. Still I couldn’t quite handle the ‘nice’ way in which she behaved with anyone until I understood she wants to get Tyrion killed more than anything. She pleads with Tywin (a good girl will marry who she is told to marry now), with Oberyn (both lost a close relative, both want justice) and clearly also with Margaery to get Mace Tyrrel, the third judge.
    I’m not actually sure about the third part, but Cersei’s probably afraid of Olenna and dealing with Mace directly could be tiresome. Also, why else would she let Margaery lie to her face (Cersei knew and I wanted to slap Margaery for being so stupid as to say she hasn’t even considered her future – with Tommen)? Or let herself being called sister and mother (you remember what Cersei thinks about being called a sister, don’t you?)? Either that, or Margaery is dead already (which I’d hate very much).

This week’s Daenerys’ scene was better. I liked the planning and wonder how she makes order reign in Yunkai and Astapor without going there (again) and losing Meereen. Then she could go back to Meereen and then… That could keep her occupied for as long as GRR Martin and D&D wish.

The ending of the episode was sure epic, but Bran and Jon’s storyline just don’t seem to interest me all that much (unlike the White Walkers with Darth White). That’s why the episode felt kinda backwards, starting with the best and ending with the not so great.

Overall, there seems to be a theme of very unstable strong women recently: Daenerys hastily slaughtering 163 masters, ignoring counsel, now she listens to her advisors and seems to not rush in anything. Cersei drunkedly calling for half the kingdom’s heads because of Joffrey’s death and now sneakily trying to influnce those in a position of power. Lysa, well, such behaviour seems normal for her.
    I hope at least the first two ladies now get their smarts together (Cersei at least can be excused by recent developments).

Little tidbits at the end:
    1) Why no Eyrie in the opening credits?! Are we stuck with the same opening sequence for the rest of the season? We keep seeing Dragonstone and Dreadfort without really going there. It looks like the mandatory Winterfell, King’s Landing, The Wall, ‘wherever Dany is’ from previous (and current) seasons.
    2) Sad to see Locke go. Was kinda thinking Jojen doesn’t make it (nice he’s seeing himself on fire now, is he going to burn soon?).

70. TOIVA
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Kay: My lil brain has been busy trying to process Lysa’s revelations since last night. I am not so sure Littlefinger’s original plan was primarily to get rid of Ned Stark. I think it may have been more to egg Ned on to start investigating what Jon Arryn had found out and declare Cersei’s children bastards, and start the Fall of the Lannisters. Cersei and Jaime disgraced, Tywin shamed and powerless, the Lannister power base eliminated. If Ned was a casualty of this, so be it; it’s all good. But surely the primary goal was much loftier than getting rid of his One True Love’s husband, and in such a round-about way.

I don’t believe any way is a ’round-about way’ for Littlefinger. He’s clearly patient and all that matters is his final goal (the kinda vague everything as far as we know right now).

And I forgot to wite down one thought about Tywin: I have a hard time believing he’d let Tyrion be found guilty. Tyrion is still a Lannister, despite being a rather short and disobebedient one. Tywin can’t let it be said his children kill one another’s children. That’s unfit for his name. Also he’s not buying into Cersei’s tirade. Tywin just doesn’t currently have a better suspect.
    So he’ll eventually try to clean the Lannister name along with freeing Tyrion.

Or I’m completely wrong and Tywin finally wants to get rid of Tyrion (which could have been done easily on numerous occasions in the past) and may have known about the plot to get Joffrey poisoned as well.

71. HODOR is the new Shakespeare
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Ghost of Godswood:
    Bring back Silvio Forel please!

I’m not one to get on people for spelling these characters names wrong, but I had to point this one out… I laughed out loud as I had visions of Silvio from the Sopranos as Aryas sword fighting teacher!!

72. Whitedagger
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Daniellica:
    (this is not a spoiler…as far as I know!)

I think book readers almost invariably give away more than they intend to when they compare the show with the books, even without obvious spoilers.

Like for this episode, I’ve heard from all kinds of sources that the most recent stuff at Craster’s keep is not in the books (Jon going back in an attempt to kill the mutineers, that is). Why would then Jon Snow die at Craster’s if he didn’t die there in the books? Seemed improbable. Not impossible, but very improbable.

If I hadn’t heard that from the book readers, I could have had some kind of worry that he could actually have died there (Bran & co as well), but now I kind of took it for granted that he wouldn’t. I was going to add something more about this episode in a similar vein; but then I realised that I could end up taking part in spoilery stuff myself, even without having read the books. :-D

This post isn’t directed at you or anyone else in particular, of course; your remark just seemed very relevant to expand on. ;-)

73. Nikola S
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Whitedagger,

Whitedagger: Well, if you’ve read the books and do not consider it a spoiler; then that implies that it does not happen in the books and is therefore less likely to happen in the show. ;-)

But thats the danger when bookreaders join the discussion. They have to be really careful if they dont want to spoil anything.

74. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

*facedesk*

75. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

*elaborate*

76. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Nikola S: Completely agree with this! Book readers don’t realize how much they reveal by just “theorizing” or by saying what happened in the books. Same thing if they say for instance “I think Jon is going to end up on the throne”, I’m just making this up, nobody has said that as far as I know. BUT, by theoretically saying that means that Jon hasn’t died yet in the five available books, hence he wont die for a long while and there is no suspense when he is in danger. Luckily nobody has said anything like that about him to my knowledge.

77. Mary G
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

As a Sullied, all I will say is that I love your recaps. I also loved imagining you finally seeing Lysa again, and hoped that you had managed to remain UnSullied when she announced that she had killed her husband at Baelish’s behest. Sounds like you did, which had to be so hard in Season 4 of a major hit series. Kudos to you for managing it.

78. Squire of Ser Pounce
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Don’t forget that Grand Maester Pycelle is feigning the stoop along with other mannerisms. A deleted scene from Season 3 demonstrates that:

79. Squire of Ser Pounce
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Nikola S:
    What she was doing was gaining points with all three judges of the trial.

Yes, she does appear to be trying to manipulate each toward her side, since she’s the one preparing a “strong case” against Tyrion (to paraphrase Tywin). Good catch.

80. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Mary G,

Personally, I had absolutely no clue about Lysa and Baelish being behind the murder of Jon Arryn. That in itself is a testament to the mods here and the respect of the Sullied.

It was literally a pause on the DVR and a strange look from Ozzette moment followed by “DO WHAT?”

Total shocker, and the reveal happened so fast there was no chance to digest the implications of what Crazypants had just said until after the show.

Thank you for the compliment!

81. Blood Crow
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I think it was even creepier of him being fatherly to Robin

82. Aphrodite
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Blood Crow,

For all we know Littlefinger could be Robin’s father!! Sounds like a history between him and Lysa. I have a feeling he will kill her off though. That business he said to Sansa about paying people off silences them for a while but killing them silences them forever. She is a loose end that I feel he will get rid of until he does not need her anymore. But right now, he does appear to need her

I also feel like I need to see Petyr’s reaction to Cat’s death. She was his great love but has not said a word about it

83. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Squire of Ser Pounce,

I do recall it and I’ve seen the scene that you linked. He looks much healthier with better posture. But what is the point of “feigning the stoop”?

And if this is spoiler territory, forget that I asked.

84. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: This is exactly the problem, and why several of the comments in the post here are not appropriate. Book readers, you don’t have the self-awareness to realize what you’re doing. Even to say, “Oh I’m just theorizing, this is not a spoiler!” you are now confirming that that thing is not going to happen. Because if was, it would be a spoiler. I’m tired of repeating myself in these threads. Respect the Unsullied’s space, and stay out.

I was not even theorizing. I was trying to make a point about character development and other types of storytelling many people like to call “filler,” which includes the idea that some scenes may be setting up events we’re unaware of, so tried to invent an example to link to last night’s episode I’d hoped was an obvious joke, but explained it wasn’t a spoiler just in case people said I was giving a spoiler by offering a hypothetical. If people really expected Syrio Forel to unknit a suit of armor with a sword, well, I guess it is a fantasy, but come on.

I facedesked because the larger argument I attempted was utterly usurped by the word “spoiler” and used to make a point that has been made to death and back. It is a valid point, but using the word “spoiler” in and of itself is not an offense.

Are Unsullied not allowed to discuss concepts outside the actual events on the show, like how stories are told, themes and real-world implications from the world of Westeros, or are Sullied not allowed to comment ever because the foreknowledge we possess will psychicly influence everything we say, even if we say absolutely nothing about future or past or present events?

I’m sorry, but I DO know what I am saying, and I am very careful with my words, my intentions, and my semantics. I DO have that self-awareness, which is why I tried to make the hypothetical a joke that would never possibly occur. Sullied get beat to crap on these boards quite often, and sometimes it is deserved, but what other fanbase has kept so many spoilers unspoiled for so long? Can we not engage with the intelligent and fascinating perspectives of the Unsullied when it comes to concepts-in-general?

…and the absolute last thing I wanted was to get in an argument about effing spoilers. Rut roh, I said it again!

85. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Daniellica: Can we not engage with the intelligent and fascinating perspectives of the Unsullied when it comes to concepts-in-general?

86. Thoros
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Great recap…I’ve been looking forward to this one for you for a while :)

Anyone else feel House Baelish/Arryn/Tully’s Sigil should be a dead Falcon with a mockingbird kissing a fish above it?

Meow…

87. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Fruitcake, indeed! Poor Sansa is officially off the rails on the crazy train!

88. Daniellica
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Not in this thread, no. This is Unsullied space. Sullied are to keep their comments to a minimum. And that is the final word on the subject.

89. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Great episode. Great recap. I keep wondering about the choices that D&D are making in creating the show, particularly the parallelisms and imagery. For example, Robin accepts the gift of a wonderful piece of crystal from his “Uncle Petyr” and is clearly delighted. He celebrates by throwing it out the moon window in the floor (making it “fly” I suppose.) It was a bird, no? What does that symbolize? If it was in the books, it was important enough to keep. If it wasn’t in the books, then it’s an even more powerful message to us.

90. MRR
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I’m a book-reader, but I greatly enjoy coming into these threads to read about the reactions and theories non-readers have (without participating in those discussions myself). I recognize very well that even the slightest bit of information might skew how things are perceived by those new to the story, so I’m careful not to say anything at all in these threads and to heavily use spoiler tags when I post elsewhere. It saddens me that, week after week, Fury inevitably has to delete spoiler content from these threads. It seems very disrespectful—not only to the non-readers, but also to people like myself who like to spectate—to post spoiler material in places like this.

Daniellica,

Nobody was accusing you of posting spoilers. Did you not actually read Whitedagger’s post? “This post isn’t directed at you or anyone else in particular, of course; your remark just seemed very relevant to expand on.” Whitedagger expanded on something you mentioned as an aside; it wasn’t intended as a reply to what you wrote, so I’m not sure why it should bother you. If you’re just annoyed that nobody wanted to follow up on your discussion regarding character-development scenes, then that’s just you being a bit petty.

91. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 2:54 am | Permalink

“Game of moans.” God damn it, these posts are always such a joy to read. Keep up the good work Oz.

92. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Daniellica: Alrighty. I surrender. I am sad I won’t be able to partake in the future, but so be it (I can’t read a discussion I’m not allowed to participate in). Keep up the great work, Oz!

I am a book reader. I read Oz’s posts and often the comments that go with them because I enjoy reading criticism and discussion over this show. I do not engage with my own thoughts on the episode, though, and that really doesn’t inhibit my ability to enjoy reading the posts and discussions.

I think someone else put it really well, that Sullied engagement isn’t so much intentional spoiling as it is accidentally giving things away, and the best way to avoid that problem is to adopt two different threads for the two different categories of fans to comment on.

93. Udi
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 5:57 am | Permalink

vlad,

“Things went a little different in the books”?!
    Someone has NOT been paying attention to what “Ours is the Fury” has posted and that is a shame. I say this as a sullied person.

94. OldeCrone
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Off-topic. For people in the British Isles. My least favourite made-up character Talisa is alive and well and appearing as a nurse in a BBC drama about World War I.

The Qyburn and Ellaria actors have been in a radio play about the Neopolitan Commara on BBC Radio 4 Extra and Qyburn also did a turn in a dramatisation of one of Lindsay Davis’ Falco stories as Marcus Didius Falco. (I actually like the radio plays better than the novels).

I am partially sullied (not completely) but not such a “cad” as to post spoilers. When I came across (in an audio book) just how bad Littlefinger was it was indeed a shock, but then remembering the nasty stroke he pulled on Ned in Season I (I was totally unsullied when I saw Season I) perhaps I should not have been surprised…..

95. Brandon
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

I don’t think Tywin or Margaery were fooled by Cersei’s act. They may play along at the moment because it is in their interest to do so but Cersei’s machinations are rather obvious. She can fool the low information voters of Westeros but not Advanced players like Twin and Marc.
    Nikola S,

96. Mrs Q
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 10:28 am | Permalink

amazing to find out that Littlefinger is responsible for the whole shebang – it’s pretty much his story – he set the whole thing in motion! But my prediction is that Lysa won’t last long and Robin might get to experience the moon door for himself so Littlefinger can get in Sansa’s pants! But who knows with this show :)

97. Brandon
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Mrs Q,

Nah, he needs the heir to maintain his pretext for control. The only reason Lysa is a shot caller at the moment is that she is Robin’s mom.

98. Nikola S
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Brandon,

Brandon:
    Nikola S,

No I agree and hope they don’t fall for it. But that doesn’t mean that Cersei didn’t aim for it. I think she absolutely did all those things to gain points with the judges. Not even a shred of her cares for her families legacy and so on. She is done caring about anything other then killing her brother.

99. Brandon
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Nikola S,

I agree that’s her goal. Tywin wants Tyrion dead. He has been looking for an excuse since the day Tyrion was born so he’ll play along. Likewise Margaret wants to be queen. The Prince of Dorne seemed touched but he’s a wild card.

100. AGirlHasSaid
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

If I had to pick a favorite moment, it would have to be the ‘great reveal’, which could also be referred to as The Out of the Frying Pan into the Eyrie Scene, in which we learn that the Lannisters are not responsible for the poisoning of Jon Arryn, and that Littlefinger is responsible for, well, just about everything.

Actually I wasn’t too surprised to find Sansa still in peril despite her supposed rescue, because let’s face it, that character simply cannot catch a break. I really like Sansa and would love to see her just lose it for once and go all ninja.

101. The Pointy End
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Not sure why people are surprised that it was Lysa who poisoned Jon Arryn – a massive clue is given away in the first season. Re-watch The episode when Catelyn arrives at the Eyrie and she talks to her uncle Brynden.

102. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

The Pointy End,

Ok, but it is hard to “catch clues” when one is just trying to keep up with the characters and know who is who! I suppose I should have known that John Arryn (original Hand of the King) was married to crazy Lysa, but I didn’t realize it until last episode. Did we ever meet John Arryn? Can’t say that he made a big impression on me. It would be nice to not let threads of the story go so stale that we lose track of them (search into history of bastards, guy in the rowboat,guys in the woods who don’t belong to a house,assassins who killed for Arya, etc.) Heck, I just put together that the guy who went north to find the young Stark boys also chopped off Jaime’s hand!

103. The Pointy End
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Reynardd the Fox,

Aha! I’ve found when watching shows with large ensemble casts that watching with the sub-titles on helps with remembering characters and plot lines! We do “meet” Jon Arryn in the first episode – however – he is lying dead in the Great Sept of Baelor as we are being introduced to Cersei and Jaime.

104. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

The Pointy End,

Good tip! I suppose I could watch it once to enjoy it, a second time with the subtitles on to help learn the characters and major plot lines, a third to notice the major themes, metaphors, and symbols (should probably take notes), and a fourth to make sure I didn’t miss anything (Oz has to do something like this to develop all his insights.)

105. ChildcareIsComingForHouseWhiteWalker
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Your unusual love for Lysa will only lead to heartbreak.

(but I still support it!)

106. Dany's One-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Nikola S,

I am not sure how effective Cersei’s pleas were or could be given her history. However, I have enjoyed her “sober up and get back in the game” attitude the last two episodes.

She seems very reflective, like how did I f*** this all up and how do I correct “my”ship. It seems that she is taking Tyrion’s words to heart – from the “you are are of above average intelligence” speech and figuring how to step up her game to become the matriarch of the Lannister family and usurp papa Tywin.

I think she had a bit of a catharsis moment realizing no gold has been pouring out of the mines for three years and senses some weakness or uncertainty in her father that she thought he was impervious to.

I know I am in the minority here – but I think she knows Tyrion did not kill Joffrey, however, wants him dead to further her ascension. She is becoming opportunistic instead of predictably blunt. Maybe even remembering little fingers comment about big houses and little houses way back in season 1 or early 2 I believe.

Enjoying the Lannister family arc in the last three episode without having to hear six different versions of the Reynes of Castamere like in episodes 1 and 2. Joff was right about that being enough already when he scoffed and they gold at the band playing it in the courtyard. Should have stopped playing that on the show after the red wedding or just once again during the reforging of ice. But perhaps that was a thematic point lost a bit on me!

107. WhiteWalter
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

how lysa in eiyrie poison jon arynn in king landing?

108. Dany's One-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Daniellica,

Although Daniellica may not read this… I wanted to comment on her observations regarding some of the story telling and character development aspects of the show, particularly relevant t this last episode.

I really enjoyed reading her perspective and point on how necessary the character development is on the show. I felt the same as some of the others here that several of the non-action or non-reveal scenes seemed a bit flat. But I don’t think the problem is that they did nothing to move the story arc further as suggested by several posters, but rather because they were not very well-executed scenes – either due to the acting, directing, and/or writing being off the mark.

For example, seeing the lighter side of Tywin engaging with Aria in Harrenhall provided nothing to moved the storyline forward, same goes for the sir Davos and Stannis’ daughter reading scenes. Yet, these were some of the most memorable and enjoyable scenes in the first two seasons. Certain parts did provide some interesting backstory for us yearning unsullied minds, but for the most part they were neutral toward moving the story forward. What they had in common was that they were well acted, written, and produced scenes that engaged the viewer that never seemed rushed.

I know how difficult it must be to produce such wonderful scenes around mundane activities over and over, but lack of execution is why I believe us unsullied whine sometimes over the character development scenes that seem somewhat pointless or disjointed in the abstract. We don’t have thousands of pages that can fill in the gaps for a less than engaging character portrayal. That’s my theory at least!

Nonetheless, I defer to Ours is the Throne’s hard line rules as she has done such a great job giving us unsullied a spoiler free zone to read about and discuss the show.

109. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

AGirlHasSaid:

Amen.

110. Thronetender
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I will miss Daniellica if she is intimated by what I thought was undue harshness on the part of some of the other posters. Her contributions were thoughtful and well-worded, and what I considered an asset to the site. Just sayin’.

I was wondering if Arya was ever going to let up on the Hound – this episode answered that question. Granted, she has seen some horrible things, but the Hound literally saved her ass more than once. I would have thought that would be worth some redemption in her eyes. I guess she’s not aware of what men other than the Hound are capable of where women are concerned. The look on his face when his was the last name on her “Must Not Abide” list was priceless. I was shocked too.

In answer to another post, I think the scenes between Davos and Shireen were not only a charming relief in the midst of some nasty chaos, they were tremendously useful. If not for his willingness to spend time with Shireen, he would never have learned to read and therefore save himself from being killed for freeing Gendry with the info about the North. Nor would he have had the inspiration regarding sending Stannis to the Iron Bank. So, those scenes did serve to move things along. You can see from the preview for next week that Stannis has trotted to his neighborhood banker. cant wait

I always enjoy your recaps, OZ. I usually wait until mid-week to participate. That way, I can extend my GOT excitement a few days more in the long wait til the next episode, and your comments add to the fun.

111. Marty
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

WhiteWalter:
    how lysa in eiyrie poison jon arynn in king landing?

Lysa went to the Eyrie right after Jon’s death. She was w/ him in King’s Landing.

112. Thronetender
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Thronetender,

ACK should have read “intimidated”. So much for editing.

113. Brittany
    Posted May 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

“We’ve already had our wedding night” = they’ve banged. Lysa wasn’t saying that they were already married but rather that they had had sex before.

114. Kirijax
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Dan:

This is maybe the funniest comment I’ve ever read on this site. Good stuff!