Dame of Thrones: Sansa Stark
By Rebecca Pahle on in Editorial.

Two weeks ago, in my inaugural entry for Dame of Thrones, I turned my eye on Mother of Dragons Daenerys Targaryen. Now let’s take a jaunt across the Narrow Sea and visit one Sansa Stark, who in this week’s episode continued to not be able to catch a damn break ever in her life.

Name: Sansa Stark, Lady of Lemon Cakes and Future Queen of All You Assholes.

Family: No. Don’t look at me. I’m not crying. It’s fine.

Known Associates: Like most teenage girls, Sansa’s social circle consists of mostly of hardened political players who want to manipulate her for their own ends. There used to be a husband in the picture, but it’s kind of hard to trust a guy when his family killed yours. It’s a thing. Her closest ally is a pimp/murderer more than twice her age whose creepy sexual fixation is borne of wanting to bone her dead mother.

Weapon Of Choice: Courtesy, motherf***er.

What’s Her Deal?: Sansa Stark starts the series with visions of brave knights, beautiful ladies, and noble quests dancing through her head. She’s in the wrong series for that, a fact that she figures out after her childhood crush cuts her father’s head off. After being trapped with those friendly Lannisters in King’s Landing for several seasons, the most recent episode saw her escape to the Eyrie, where she has the company of the aforementioned creepster, a pathologically jealous aunt, and a spoiled momma’s boy with burgeoning homicidal tendencies. Such is the life of Sansa.

Why Is She Awesome?: Why is she not? That was a rhetorical question, Sansa haters. Sit down. I don’t have time for you.

Just as Game of Thrones is a deconstruction of the stereotypical sword-and-sorcery fantasy story where men are brave, women are true, and no one ever gets the head of their direwolf sewn to their decapitated body, Sansa is a deconstruction of the typical fairy tale princess. She starts out innocent and naïve, sure, and some people (wrong people) still see her that way. But Sansa is in an awful situation, and the fact that she, a teenage girl with no family to back her up in a series that isn’t exactly friendly to those, has managed to stay alive is an impressive achievement by itself. Making the decision to keep one’s head down in the pit of vipers that is King’s Landing takes it own sort of intelligence, but that’s not all Sansa’s doing. Sansa’s learning to play the game, and she’s leaning from the best in the business, people who probably wouldn’t lift a finger to save her if she made the sort of political gaffe that much more experienced people than her—like, say, her father—have fallen prey to.

Best Quote: “My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel” is the most-quoted one, but I’m partial to her telling Tyrion in “Blackwater” that “I will pray for your safe return, my lord. Just as I pray for the King’s.” Get some ice for that burn, ’cause winter is coming. Tyrion smiles after she says that, too. If Tyrion Lannister respects your snark game you know you’ve done something right.

Most Badass Scene: I dunno, that time sweet, scared Sansa manipulated Joffrey into putting himself in danger at the Battle of Blackwater was pretty damn amazing. Though her buttering up Littlefinger in “Oathkeeper” by telling him “You’re too smart to trust a drunk fool,” all while she’s innocently prompting him to go all Bond villain monologue about the Purple Wedding, was also a good time. Watch your back, Littlefinger. You’re teaching everything Sansa needs to know to bring you down and take her rightful place on the Iron Throne (we can hope). Speaking of…

Fan Theory Du Jour: Sansa’s going to shuffle Littlefinger straight off this mortal coil, and it’s going to be amazing. (Book spoilers at the link.)

Merch Me Up: Etsy has several versions of Sansa’s Purple Wedding necklace. But if you want a piece of jewelry you can wear to the wedding of a Game of Thrones fan without them worrying they’re going to get murdered, I recommend going for a replica of Sansa’s season one dragonfly necklace instead. In honor of her unwitting role in the death of King Joffrey, did you know there’s Purple Wedding yarn? Because there’s Purple Wedding yarn. Someone knit me some socks.

It Belongs In a Museum, aka Fanart:

This lovely painting by Tom Bagshaw is called “Prophecy.”

Rebecca is the Associate Editor at The Mary Sue and a contributing writer for Pajiba. You can find her on Twitter and in her room scowling because it’s been too long since we’ve seen Asha Greyjoy. Have cool ladycentric bit of fanart or merch you think would be a good pick for a future edition of Dame of Thrones? Send me a tip at [email protected] See you in two weeks!

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Moon Door!

2. chamush
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?

3. House Mormont
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I’ve really wanted “My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel” tattooed on me for years, it’s the only book quote I’ve read that really means so much to me

Also my friend has the same Dragonfly necklace as Sansa’s and she has no idea but it makes me more fond of her

4. jentario
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

It’s Yara- don’t you forget that. You have to remember her name!

5. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

What…and no discussion of SanSan? Shame! The tension between the two, his saving her from further horrible degradation and violence, his own instability toward her, her strength with him (and arguably because of him), her not-so-subtle dreams…

True beauty and the beast connotations.

From KL to the Eyrie, Sansa moves from one level of hell to another…

6. paprikacrocante
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Ooooh I liked “who could trust you?” to the same littlefinger

7. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying Sansa doesn’t get enough credit. For instance, how many people noticed in the last episode that she lied spectacularly well to Lysa. In the scene where Lysa is squeezing her hands and grilling her about Petyr, Sansa tells her that Petyr told her that she was a “stupid, stupid little girl”, etc, etc. Of course, we all know that it was actually The Hound that said that to her back in KL. This was brilliant on Sansa’s part because the best lies are when you stick to the truth as much as possible. There was a scene in King’s Landing where Sansa was crying and saying how “stupid and naive” she was (to Shae I think)….So she is expressing real emotion that she’s felt before, except now with Lysa, and remembering the consequences of her naivete. So is actually only a subtle twist. Sansa was and wasn’t performing. She is becoming quite the padawan…give her time. She’s a little slow on the uptake but once she gets it, she really gets it.

Edited to add: Arya is not the only one who is attending/will attend Mummer’s school.

8. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I am wondering why they changed Littlefinger’s deception of Sansa being his bastard daughter to his niece? I always felt this particular lie helped Sansa learn the art of deception much faster, especially the bastard part, as it is distasteful to her. I suppose they thought it much less important than I did.

Sansa’s story going forward is one of the most fascinating to me, which is fascinating in itself, since the first few books’-worth of her chapters made me want to punch her in the face most of the time. She does get far less credit than I think she deserves, for the most part, being one of the few Starks to survive AND whilst in the hands of the enemy. She learned to placate Joffrey, Cercei, everyone around her. She also recognized, I think, that none of them believed her, but it didn’t matter what she felt as long as she said and did the right things–that’s an important lesson in this game of thrones.

My favorite Sansa quote isn’t a Sansa quote, but the one uttered by Tyrion a couple episodes ago: “Sansa’s not a killer…not yet, anyway.” OOHHHH DELICIOUS THOUGHTS! *gobbles own brain* mmmm…lemoncakey.

9. A Man Grown
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Do you Reek?

10. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

Yes! Thx for that! I am hoping that Sansa and Mya Stone become a team to be reckoned with at some point (in the books and show).

11. Grynthaline
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Yay! Love you Rebecca for writing up this entry. I have enormous sympathy for Sansa and what she had to endure, and believe with all my heart that by the end of the series she will contribute greatly to the defeat of Littlefinger and the Starks’ rise to power again. Yay for Sansa Stark and her love of lemoncakes! :)

Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

This is an awesome character profile, Bex! :)

13. OldeCrone
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I watched the show first and then started the books which I haven’t finished and in both versions my thoughts about Sansa (after Ned’s fall from favour) were “poor kid”. I do wonder about how well history is taught in some schools these days when people say they “hate” her*. How can one expect a medieval (even faux-medieval)11 year old girl (I’m alluding to book Sansa not show Sansa there) to act like a 21st century one? I know she told Cersei about Ned’s plan to return home to Winterfell, but then she did not know the full story and the reasons why. I know I made LOADS of mistakes when I was 11 (and when I was 13 if we think about show Sansa).

* Because in that day and age she would be courting certain death if she told Joffrey with his cruel streak and unpredictable temper, and with Sansa having nobody to back her up, exactly what she really thought of him.

14. Sansa's Knight
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

i just cant get enough of her ….. shes the strongest person ever …. i hope she kills a bunch of people ….or manipulate some1 to do so ;)

15. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

All the love for Sansa. A naive teenage girl who learns to play the obedient hostage/fiancée in order to stay alive, and has the sense to realize that if she has to smile prettily at the psychopath who killed her father, abuses her regularly, and wants to serve her her brother’s head on a platter… well, she’s going to clench her teeth and smile prettily. She’s going to survive.

16. Zack Luye
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

No. Don’t look at me. I’m not crying. It’s fine.

Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Oh, I’m sorry. Rebecca, of course!

18. queenofthorns
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Yay! Great write up. Sansa rocks. So far you’ve done my favorite characters in order! :)

And she is DEFINITELY going to have LF killed. In my opinion he’s worked himself into a corner and his arrogance has made him completely miss the fact that Sansa is more than she seems. Don’t tell the LF fans.

19. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Sansa, the future queen o the north. Big ups. Her courtesy may for now be her shield, but her anger is the real weapon. Tempered with mercy, I’d say her anger will be her gift.

I’ve never heard the phrase “mortal coil”. That is awesome!

20. Rebecca Pahle
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

I forgive you. *narrows eyes*

21. Zack Luye
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

*popcorn*

22. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: I’ve never heard the phrase “mortal coil”. That is awesome!

Truly?

It is most commonly known from Shakespeare’s Hamlet:

To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there’s the rub,
    For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil…

It’s also the name of a band that’s often mistaken for one of my favorite bands, Coil. :P

I am too surprised the San/San relationship was not mentioned above, though the post is excellent overall. Sansa learned a lot from Sandor–that those who *play* the villain are not always the most villainous; that saviors can come in the strangest packages; that tenderness and brutality have many forms; that all men are killers. (“But we are not men”?)

I am so looking forward to Sophie’s performance in the “Only Cat” scene, where she’ll again learn that sometimes the most villainous of them all come in the least likely forms. She killed her scene with Lysa on Sunday.

I’d also love to see Sansa as a dragonrider, though I know it will never happen. It would be so badass! GIVE ME LEMONCAKES OR I WILL BURNINATE YOUR COUNTRYSIIIIIIDEEEE.

teehee!

Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Rebecca Pahle,

Zack Luye,

Haha. I’m glad to be part of such a team ;)

24. Interior Bannisters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

The strength of Sansa is her ability to stay kind and compassionate despite the horrible things life has put her through.

I hope people keep underrating her because shes going to sneak up on everyone

25. Interior Bannisters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns:
    Yay!Great write up.Sansa rocks.So far you’ve done my favorite characters in order!:)

And she is DEFINITELY going to have LF killed.In my opinion he’s worked himself into a corner and his arrogance has made him completely miss the fact that Sansa is more than she seems.Don’t tell the LF fans.

I think Lady Stoneheart will kill LF. What better person than the former woman he loved and the woman who’s life he has indirectly destroyed.

26. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to see Maya Stone in the show. Don’t you think they would have introduced her this episode if they were going to use her? Don’t get me wrong, I like the character in the book, I just don’t see her being in the show.

Daniellica,
    Mmmmm, brains are num num, just ask Magnar ;)

27. Novembet
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Brilliant write-up! I love the foreshadowing reference, one has already been fulfilled, the other one is impending, I do hope it happens in a way the readers/viewers don’t foresee.

Sansa’s arc is one of the most interesting for me, beautifully written and you can see the progress, however slow it is. Sophie Turner’s portrayal has been spot-on, cannot wait the big scene!

28. Zack Luye
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

When I see mortal coil I think lvl 30 Warlock

ANYONE?

29. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Interior Bannisters,

I think Lady Stoneheart will kill LF

That would feel too much like justice and GRRM never gives us “justice” in the ways we expect it, if at all. I have become a cynic, due in large part to GRRM (and life, of course). I hope you’re right though. That would so deliciously perfect except maybe to see LS kill Walder Frey….that would give me some very nice feelings too.

30. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ: Mmmmm, brains are num num, just ask Magnar ;)

31. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

that saviors can come in the strangest packages

Yes, I’ve felt that all along when thinking about Sandor and the lessons that Sansa is learning. Reminded me in LOTR when Aragorn says to Frodo, “I look foul and feel fair.” Yes, a foul appearance does not mean a foul heart and a fair appearance could hide the most evil person who ever lived.

32. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Daniellica: I’d love to see a spoof spin-off reality TV cooking show hosted by the Thenns. “Crow brains are best served chilled, with an apertif. Mmmm, exquisite!”

“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti….f-f-f-f-f-f!”
    - Hannibal was a Thenn!

33. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

LOL, as a Youtube spoof, I’d love it…as reality show, not so much. The whole “arm on a spit” scene made me positively nauseous! For some reason I keep thinking of Cookie Monster when I see Magnar so in one of my recap/reviews I did an audio of my best Cookie Monster imitation and used it for Magnar’s voice. There is something deeply wrong with my brain.

34. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Interior Bannisters,

I share this suspicion. Either her or the hound. We shall see. However he goes, I think it will be very late in the game.

Daniellica,

Showing my naïveté. Never read so many classics…. And what I’ve read of Shakespeare I don’t remember. Thanks to you I now know the passage Gaiman lifted “what dreams may come” from for the sandman’s Shakespeare storyline….

I have a feeling you draw like strong sad. Perfection much?

35. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

My theory for how Sansa’s story will go… (aFfC and aDwD spoilers…) This is my tWoW prediction: Petyr will marry Sansa to Ser Harrold Hardyng and during the wedding he will poison the already sick Robert/Robin Arryn so he dies shortly after (making Ser Harrold into Lord Harrold). But during the wedding Petyr makes sure Harry is absolutely smashed and is unable to consummate their marriage and instead Petyr rapes Sansa in her wedding bed. Petyr gets the satisfaction of getting to be the one to take Sansa’s maidenhead (and possibly getting her prego?) but convinces Harry that he was the one to do it whilst he was blind drunk. This traumatic event absolutely destroys all hope for humanity Sansa has left. Sansa knows the truth of what happened on her wedding night but doesn’t say for fear of her life. Since the Arryns were ‘Kings of the Vale’ before AL, LF persuades the newly made lord to declare himself the ‘King of the Vale’ (and the North and Riverlands thanks to Sansa) with Petyr as his Hand. This will open into the 2nd ‘Clash of Kings’ scenario of the series where we have King Aegon vs. King Tommen vs. King Euron vs. King Stannis vs. King Harrold (basically King LF). But only this CoC will be settled by Dany finally landing in westeros. I think King LF will be preoccupied by retaking the north from Stannis (who will fuck up the Boltons at the battle of winterfel). But LF and Sansa’s claim on the north (and Riverlands) will be ruined when Davos delivers Rickon to Stannis. The irony will be that after years of Petyrs expert planning he is foiled by the fact that an 8 year old boy is still alive. (This should end tWoW with LF and Sansa’s fate to be decided in aDoS… But I still think LF will have one last thing planned and might ultimately win the Game of Thrones in aDoS, we’ll have to wait and see…)

36. queenofthorns
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

I would honestly hate all of that. In your prediction Sansa is a pawn and sex-slave of LF and does nothing of importance herself? You really think that’s where her “arc” is going?

I would accept LF trying to have sex with her and getting a knife in the belly instead, though.

Personally, I doubt Sansa will marry Harry or Robyn. I think LF’s lust for her is too great for him to let another man have her, but he knows raping her would go too far. So, how about this – Harry, and Robyn both die (by LF’s machinations), and Sansa claims the the North, the Riverlands and the Vale in her own right (assuming something happens to Edmure and his kid, I think that only Sansa remains in the succession). All of this may be orchestrated by LF. However, he will try to marry her, and she’ll agree, but somehow have him killed before/after/during the wedding. She’ll then take the forces of the Vale north to reclaim her home and to help fight the WW

37. David
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

do we know if Mya or Randa will be in the serie?? it would be a little dull just Sansa,LF and Robyn.

38. jentario
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Zack Luye,

Sorry bro…
    Maybe Arthur knows what you’re talking about

39. CJ Rigdon
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I love Sansa so much. She’s my favorite character, and the true dark horse of the show.

QUEEN IN THE NORTH!!!

40. David
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

she can’t claim the Vale or the Riverlands,i wish people would stop saying that. in the first case no family ties, the second Edmure will have an heir. the north is even more complicated since Rickon is coming back and who knows what will happen with Robb will. and don’t forget she’s married to a Lannister. if i was her i will stay hidden.

41. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

Anything is possible… No one knows (apart from D&D) about what’s in GRRM’s head. no one predicted the Aegon reveal in aDwD, we’ll see what happens in tWoW

42. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

David,

Robb’s will names Jon his heir (only because he believes Bran and Rickon to be dead), Davos delivering Rickon to Stannis makes the will meaningless because Eddard’s true born children are above his bastards in the line of succession. And about Edmure… He’s basically a nobody now. The Tullys we’re never kings of the Riverlands and are no longer recognized as a ruling house by any King. I believe Edmure, Blackfish and Roslin join the BwB and LS after they retake Riverrun and together go on a killing spree murdering freys and lannisters in the name of sweet twisted justice.

43. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

Also I think everyone in westeros is too preoccupied by their own selfish ambitions to concern themselves with the WW rumours, even if what you said happens why on earth would the lords of the vale leave their safe haven to march up north and be slaughtered by WWs? Personally I think in the aftermath of Jon’s stabbing at CB the WW attack the wall. Only Jon and Mel survive (maybe Tormund and Val escape along with Grenn, Pyp, Edd and Shireen because I love those guys). But Mel survives because she is basically an immortal witch while Jon survives because he’s undead (Mel brings him back like Thoros brought back Beric). The two of them (or just Jon) then head north to explore the land of always winter to destroy the ‘great other’ since now Mel has discovered Jon is truly the Azor Azai reborn (not Stannis). Prologue for tWoW would be anyone at CB describing briefly Jon’s resurrection and then the WW attack.

44. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

CJ Rigdon,

Sansa will be the Queen in DaNORF

45. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

David:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

I doubt for S4…like others have stated, it would have been nice to have MS or an amalgamation of Randa & MS help lead LF & Sansa up to the Eyrie. Like others, I believe “Only Cat” will happen in S4ep10 after snow castles and kissyfinger and vicious jealousy. Hopefully MS & R will be introduced early in S5 when LF attempts to assume control of the Vale. She’ll probably appear to Sansa as LF deals with the other Lords Declarant.

46. Cheese Souffle
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Maybe someone who is better versed than I in primogeniture can answer this theory: If Sansa marries Harry in secret as Alayne Stone, THEN poisons Sweetrobin and frames LF AND Harry as co-conspirators (Harry has the motive, LF has the means and opportunity), would she ascend as Lady of the Vale?

I haven’t seen anyone float this theory yet, but I like it for a couple of reasons. Sansa herself is the one to subvert her dream of marrying the handsome knight in shining armor. I also love the karmic justice of Littlefinger going down over a poisoning Sansa perpetrated.

47. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Cheese Souffle,
    Ser Davos Seaworth,

Here’s my theory: Sansa will marry Harold and on LF’s order, she will encourage him to declare himself Lord of the Vale in opposition to Sweetrobin, LF will openly oppose Harold. The various Lords will take sides. LF will use the occasion to pick off Lords who do not support his agenda. LF will either have Sansa kill Harold or he might kill Harold himself, but LF will take credit for conquering the “usurper”, setting himself up as loyal to Sweetrobin and a hero. LF will become protector of Sweetrobin and rule the Vale and the remaining Lords will be amenable to it. He might then kill Sweetrobin but does he really need to? Plus I think he might be his son. In any case, LF will be even more powerful and will still have Sansa to himself once again.

48. Rygar
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

chamush:
    Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?

Bismillah we will not let you go!

49. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ: Remind me, in the books, does it really seem like Petyr is planning on killing Sweetrobin? Or is he just trying to be cautious because Sweetrobin is so frail? Also, isn’t there a good likelihood that Sweetrobin is actually his own son? Would he kill his only living heir?

As I said in the Littlefinger thread, I don’t doubt that Petyr would hesitate for a moment to kill Robert/Robin, even if he were his son (which I’m still not sold on). If lil Robert IS Petyr’s, he’s a bastard, and one thing Petyr seems to have is a sensitivity towards low birth in any way connected with him. I also think he despises Sweet Robin as a seriously irritating pain in his arse. From my reading Petyr is wholly insensitive to Robin’s frailties, giving him dangerous droughts of sweetsleep and forcing the march while he is so weak. Yet he still needs Robert Arryn…for now.

50. Rygar
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

They’re the ones who covered Tim Buckleys Song to the Siren?

51. moonlightof1982
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Everyone want Sansa to be the destruction of LF, but I personally want the two of them to rule together! They have a chemistry that nearly untouchable! I can’t believe that Sansa can see it! That scene on the boat was on it!!!

52. Siobhán Mooney
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Excellent article. Team Sansa all the way!

Incidentally, while I am not as keen on the SanSan stuff as many others, the Littlefinger shipping makes me even queasier. Aside from the horrendous impact that his actions have had on her family, which is reason enough for me o find this ship repulsive, Sansa deserves more than to be his consolation prize. If I ship her with anyone, it’s Willas, but on the whole I think that preoccupation with Sansa’s romantic future misses the point of her character arc.

53. Sansa Bird
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Sansa’s character arch alone is enough to make her one of the most intriguing characters. Good to see some Sansa support on this thread! I was worried there’d be a few nasty comments but I was happily surprised! Sophie’s done an amazing job and I can’t wait to see the rest of her material this season!

54. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Err…meant to say Petyr would NOT hesitate for a moment to kill Sweet Robin. Damn you, nonexistence of editing capabilities!

55. Daniellica
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: I have a feeling you draw like strong sad. Perfection much?

You mean in stick figures?

TEEN THRONES SQUAD! THE CRIER! WHATS NOT-HIS-NAME!!! WOLFY-FACE!! THE BABY OONNEEEE!!!

56. Maddy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Sansa haters need to sit the hell down. And Littlefinger needs to watch his back.

57. Tony
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Gotta love Sansa Skywalker! (I do hope the rumors are true. That would be pretty awesome!)

58. David
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

IIRC, Robb will declare Jon not only his heir but a legitimate Stark. He isn’t a bastard anymore but a true Stark, so he can inherit Winterfell before Bran bc he’s older. ofcourse idt he will pass over Bran or Rickon, but with Sansa i’m not sure. she’s married to the enemy, after all.

59. KayOfLaihr
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 5:52 am | Permalink

this is really cool.
    my bank account is not thanking you for pointing out the mercy options though.

60. Annara Snow
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:48 am | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to see Maya Stone in the show.Don’t you think they would have introduced her this episode if they were going to use her? Don’t get me wrong, I like the character in the book, I just don’t see her being in the show.

Why would they? She doesn’t appear in ASOS and we only see her in Sansa’s story in her second chapter in AFFC. This show rarely introduces characters before they appear in the books, if anything, they do the opposite. No Reeds and no Edmure or Blackfish until season 3, heck, they even held off on casting Ramsey before season 3, and that really messed up the season 2 Winterfell arc.

61. Annara Snow
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:52 am | Permalink

moonlightof1982:

If one person creepin’ on another and the other one being totally creeped out and only staying in their vicinity because they have no choice constitutes “chemistry”…

62. Mladen
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Well, as one of the greatest Sansa fans, discussion about Sansa always interests me. I am one of those that believe that Sansa will be Littlefinger’s demise, but I am not so much into “Queen of everything under the Sun” theories. My pet theory is that Sansa will rule Harrenhal, forming House Stark of Harrenhal

Yours faithfully, Lady’s Ghost

63. David
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Mladen,

the only way she can rule Harrenhall is has LF daugther, but acknowledge her goes against his plans for her. so no House Stark of Harrenhall.

64. queenofthorns
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

David: she can’t claim the Vale or the Riverlands,i wish people would stop saying that. in the first case no family ties, the second Edmure will have an heir

Well, I did preface the second by saying that this is assuming “something” happens to Edmure and any kid he might have. I agree the first is fishier. I hypothesize that assuming the Arryn bloodline is extinct following the deaths of Harry and Sweetrobin, the armies of the Vale would indeed consider following the daughter of Catelyn Tully and Ned Stark, especially if she revealed herself in some dramatic fashion at the opportune time. She’s about as blue blooded as you can get. I would also be surprised if there were not previous blood ties connecting the Tullies and the Arryns that haven’t been revealed.

Siobhán Mooney: on the whole I think that preoccupation with Sansa’s romantic future misses the point of her character arc.

Agreed! I dislike all of Sansa’s ships (and there are a LOT). I’d prefer she forges her own way forward not relying on marriage to succeed. However she can of course use betrothal and the promise of marriage as a tool.

65. queenofthorns
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth: Also I think everyone in westeros is too preoccupied by their own selfish ambitions to concern themselves with the WW rumours, even if what you said happens why on earth would the lords of the vale leave their safe haven to march up north and be slaughtered by WWs?

We know that Sansa’s pull to Winterfell is very strong, and we also know she doesn’t care all that much about selfish ambitions – she cares about getting home. I suspect she would very much desire to march north in order to reclaim her home. We also know that (many of) the Lords of the Vale have been ITCHING to ride to war since this whole thing started and quite resented Lysa for staying out of it. Assuming Sansa makes a stirring enough call I think they’d follow. I assume that they wouldn’t know about the WW until they get north of the neck, but once she gets there she’ll see that the problem is WAY worse than she thought – in fact by this point who even knows if there will be a wall or the night’s watch…

(insert secret hopes she allies with Daenerys and rides a dragon I know, #nevergonnahappen*).

66. Roekest
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I didn’t like Sansa until she became Alayne in the books. That’s when I knew she was going to start becoming more of a player; less of a plaything.

She’ll definitely kill Littlefinger before he gets the chance to kill Sweet Robin. I think she’ll play a big part in forming an alliance between the Lords of the Eyrie, the Riverlands, and the North. Basically, reforming Robb’s alliance and adding to it the Eyrie lords

67. Annara Snow
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

queenofthorns: Well, I did preface the second by saying that this is assuming “something” happens to Edmure and any kid he might have.I agree the first is fishier.I hypothesize that assuming the Arryn bloodline is extinct following the deaths of Harry and Sweetrobin, the armies of the Vale would indeed consider following the daughter of Catelyn Tully and Ned Stark, especially if she revealed herself in some dramatic fashion at the opportune time.She’s about as blue blooded as you can get.I would also be surprised if there were not previous blood ties connecting the Tullies and the Arryns that haven’t been revealed.

Agreed!I dislike all of Sansa’s ships (and there are a LOT).I’d prefer she forges her own way forward not relying on marriage to succeed.However she can of course use betrothal and the promise of marriage as a tool.

68. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Siobhán Mooney,

I may be the only one who thinks this but I actually ship her with Tyrion. And I think they planted the seeds on the show already for their eventual reconciliation. Here’s my “evidence”: Tyrion was very strong in his defense of Sansa not having participated in Joff’s murder and she said likewise to LF. I thought it interesting that they defended one another even though they were in a loveless marriage. That means there is a level of respect and that’s important. The shallow Sansa of Season 1 would never have deigned to give Tyrion any credit for anything at all. Also, Sansa has been set up from day 1 as the prototypical princess with prototypical desires of marrying a handsome prince and living happily ever after. Clearly, GRRM has no such plans for her. It seems all of her life lessons are teaching her the opposite of her life expectations. That a fair face can hide a real foul person and a foul face can hide a very fair person. That to be powerful one doesn’t have to be a big or imposing person. Someone very smart or clever can affect great events. That sometimes the heroic thing is to do nothing at all (or at least keep one’s mouth shut). That smarts often counts as much for strength of arms. I mean look at how many times Tyrion stood up to Joff at his own peril to protect Sansa. That’s gallantry that Sansa can admire and all the more so because Tyrion isn’t the big strapping young buck for whom it would be so much easier to make that kind of stand. You get my meaning. In essence, pairing her with Tyrion has been and will continue to be a perfect resolution to Sansa’s learning curve. I’m hoping that Tyrion will return with Dany (maybe as a dragon rider or at the least as a trusted, powerful advisor). That Tyrion will help Sansa in any way he can, make absolutely no claims on her and that Sansa will realize that the he is a real hero who is actually worthy of her love. That would prove that Sansa has finally learned all those hard lessons. It’s the last relationship you would expect to succeed so I’m hoping it will be the one relationship that GRRM will allow to succeed.

69. Timothy Williams
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

QUEEN OF THE GOD-DAMNED NORTH.

Seriously, thankyou *so* much for this write-up.I was rather dreading it for no particular reason, but it’s bloody awesome. The fact that it doesn’t try to blame her for being human or for the hellish situation she’s in makes it almost the most original thing that’s ever been written on the internet ever. Thankyou. QUEEN OF THE NORTH.

70. Annara Snow
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ:
    Siobhán Mooney,

I may be the only one who thinks this but I actually ship her with Tyrion.And I think they planted the seeds on the show already for their eventual reconciliation.Here’s my “evidence”:Tyrion was very strong in his defense of Sansa not having participated in Joff’s murder and she said likewise to LF.I thought it interesting that they defended one another even though they were in a loveless marriage.That means there is a level of respect and that’s important.The shallow Sansa of Season 1 would never have deigned to give Tyrion any credit for anything at all.Also, Sansa has been set up from day 1 as the prototypical princess with prototypical desires of marrying a handsome prince and living happily ever after.Clearly, GRRM has no such plans for her.It seems all of her life lessons are teaching her the opposite of her life expectations.That a fair face can hide a real foul person and a foul face can hide a very fair person.That to be powerful one doesn’t have to be a big or imposing person. Someone very smart or clever can affect great events. That sometimes the heroic thing is to do nothing at all (or at least keep one’s mouth shut).That smarts often counts as much for strength of arms.I mean look at how many times Tyrion stood up to Joff at his own peril to protect Sansa.That’s gallantry that Sansa can admire and all the more so because Tyrion isn’t the big strapping young buck for whom it would be so much easier to make that kind of stand.You get my meaning.In essence, pairing her with Tyrion has been and will continue to be a perfect resolution to Sansa’s learning curve.I’m hoping that Tyrion will return with Dany (maybe as a dragon rider or at the least as a trusted, powerful advisor).That Tyrion will help Sansa in any way he can, make absolutely no claims on her and that Sansa will realize that the he is a real hero who is actually worthy of her love.That would prove that Sansa has finally learned all those hard lessons.It’s the last relationship you would expect to succeed so I’m hoping it will be the one relationship that GRRM will allow to succeed.

The problem with that is that it can only happen if they make a MAJOR deviation from the books the way they have never done before and that would really piss off many, many books fans… because in the books, it’s clear that there’s no way in hell that Sansa would fall in love with Tyrion or be attracted to him – or for that matter, that he’s likely to fall in love with her. There is no setup for it, there is only anti-setup.

Also, I kind of don’t see an ending that basically says “forced marriages are awesome; young girls have no idea what they want, so it’s really good for them to be forced into a marriage until they learn to like it and forget about their own desires”. Yeah, we had Dany/Drogo, but that was the beginning of Dany’s story, and it ended in book 1 with her as Drogo’s widow, hatching dragons and becoming a force in her own right, it wasn’t the ending to her story. And even then, GRRM didn’t make sure to show that Dany finds Drogo entirely sexually repulsive (she didn’t) while being attracted to other people, as he did with Sansa regarding Tyrion.

Plus, the entire thing smacks of Sansa becoming a prize for Tyrion. Oh look, our hero Tyrion gets a beautiful young highborn virginal trophy wife who loves him and makes him feel really good about himself as a proof how awesome he is. And Sansa gets… what? Someone who isn’t a complete monster and doesn’t beat her up and rape he, which is enough to make him the ideal husband? Well, that’s a low bar to set. For starters, she wants someone who loves her for herself and not her claim, and that’s definitely not Tyrion. The idea that men “get” women’s love by performing a certain number of “heroic” deeds or by “saving” her is generally outdated and offensive, as is the idea that women have to accept sex with men they find sexually unattractive in order to be deemed “not shallow”. Sansa is on the “learning curve”? Because, what, finding Tyrion attractive is some kind of a pinnacle of knowledge and wisdom a human being can reach? You either feel attraction or you don’t. Sansa already thinks he’s a relatively decent person (in the books) or a really decent person (in the show) but she has no sexual or romantic attraction to Tyrion at all. Meanwhile, GRRM makes it pretty clear in the books that she is very attracted to someone else who is ugly and furthermore, not highborn or “gallant” or sweet spoken, so pretty much the exact opposite of the “beautiful gallant prince”. Which makes this theory even less probable. Why is GRRM writing Sansa’s feelings that way? Is falling for Sandorsomehow a stepping stone in “graduating” to the ultimate wisdom of falling for Tyrion? :D

And why doesn’t anyone require Tyrion to fall in love with an ugly woman for once and prove that he is not shallow?

71. David
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

@queenofthorns
    why the Lords of the Vale would put a 13 year old as Lady of the Vale, when one of them, i can guess Bronze Royce, can rule better then her in his own right?? they can propose a marriage to one of the Lords or protect her against the Lannister/Frey/whatever but giving her, a stranger, the keys to the Vale?? i don’t think so.

72. paprikacrocante
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

This was great! Thank you. It’s annoying that she is shallow because she can find herself attracted to fan favorite Tyrion. But no ones says anything about other male characters being shallow for the same reasons. I don’t want Sansa to be a Trophy wife. She’s not.

73. Val the Wildling
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Interesting write up. I hope these stay positive for all the dames of thrones.

74. queenofthorns
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

David,

Sansa and no one else in the Vale (besides Sweetrobin) is a child of a high lord and a high lady. Her blood is bluer than any Royce. I do think it’s dependent upon Sansa learning how to wear the mantle of command, on top of her mantle of courtesy.

Annara Snow: I agree about the last two sentences, but what does SanSan (her most popular ship among book fans by far) have to do with that? I’m still unaware of anyone, shipper and anti shipper, who thinks that she could somehow “use a marriage to him to succeed.” LOL How would that even work?

Haha that’s true. I guess I was thinking more about potential political matches. I have othe issues with Sansan (in particular the idea that she needs him to save her blah blah blah).

75. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,
    I agree that it doesn’t appear that book Sansa would do this, just that show Sansa might. Since we know that D&D do make changes so long as they don’t affect the overall outcome of the story, then if this change is made then we’d know Sansa and Tyrion’s relationship will not matter to the eventual outcome. And while I think D&D are dedicated to keeping the story the same as much as possible, I don’t think “not pissing off bookreaders” is the standard by which they judge such things–and thank goodness that’s true IMHO. Bookreaders are not always the best arbiter of what makes good TV (no offense meant to bookreaders, among which I include myself).

In regards some of your other questions….

“Sansa gets… what?”

I think Tyrion will be the only Lannister standing and will be the heir to Casterly Rock, so the “they will inherit something” appeal goes both ways. Also, the Lannister mines may have run dry but that doesn’t mean the family is penniless and powerless. In addition, Tyrion, if he does become a dragon rider, would be one of the most powerful people in the world and a hero. Not that that means he “wins” her as a trophy but that would make him more attractive to her. And since Tyrion never forced himself on her he would never do so upon his return either NOR would he want her unless she chose him of her own accord. By the time he returns I suspect she will be much stronger, more powerful in her own right and will not be the easy push over she once was. I think that will make her infinitely more attractive to Tyrion. And in turn, I think he will be more humble and grateful for the trappings of power that he inherits, making him more attractive to her.

“she has no sexual or romantic attraction to Tyrion at all”

I believe that is correct at the current time. I know, however, that sexual and romantic attraction is not always “it’s there and it’s there forever or it’s simply not”. Something like that can change as a person’s perception changes(particularly with women, I don’t know if that is true about men). Believe me when I tell you that a person can meet someone, hate them and then later fall in love with them. And of course, vice versa. I’ve seen it happen with my own eyes.

Agreed but I think, maybe, there is a misunderstanding here. The reason Sansa feels that way about Sandor is because she thinks he is actually, underneath all that ugliness, gallant because he never hurt her (and even saved her once) and admitted he never would hurt her. I am probably wrong in calling her shallow because what it really appears she values is gallantry (but you have to admit Loras’ pretty face was very appealing to her even though he was clearly gayer than Liberace). What she does not understand is that gallantry and bravery comes in many forms. She is starting to recognize it, slowly but surely, and THAT is an important part of her learning curve. So this part of my theory actually makes it more likely.

Is falling for Sandor somehow a stepping stone in “graduating” to the ultimate wisdom of falling for Tyrion?

No, it opens the door to the possibility. I never said it was the ultimate wisdom, that’s stretching it a bit. :P

I should have said and I didn’t, that she would choose Tyrion of her own free will…not that he would demand her compliance to their forced wedding vows or that she would comply because that’s just how it is….I didn’t mean to imply that she would acquiesce and therefore reinforce the idea that arranged marriages are “a-OK”, which I obviously don’t think is true. I think they will re-meet as very changed people and appreciate one another much, much more. And in doing so, fall in love, choosing one another mutually.

Now this I’m certain you are going to want to argue further–but no, not going to happen. Because in reality we see beautiful women with VERY ugly men all the time. Why? I’ve heard men say (men without wealth, power, etc) that those women are shallow, only caring for the man’s wealth, power, etc and they tolerate the man’s ugly appearance as a “price to be paid”. And I’ve heard women say it isn’t the women who are shallow, it’s the men who are shallow. They only want pretty women and don’t care about anything else, whereas women look at the whole person to decide if they are attractive or not.

Personally, I think it’s evolution. Men have evolved to be attracted based on visual characteristics. Women have evolved to be attracted based on how well a man can protect her and her children and sometimes visual characteristics communicate this (e.g., many women prefer tall men, probably due to the assumption that big men are stronger and more intimidating). But it’s not as simple as that. Because a man can have power, wealth, etc and that can protect a family as much if not more than physical prowess. This means women have evolved to look at the overall person.

However, in our modern world in industrialized and rule of law nations men and women are more likely to ignore such evolutionary considerations. It’s still rare, however. Sansa, no matter how strong she will become, will never have that complete luxury. The ONLY woman in GRRM’s world who MIGHT have that luxury is Dany. So to answer your question….we don’t require Tyrion to do it because it’s completely unrealistic. It’s why we’ll never see a romantic pairing between Jaime and Brienne–I’ll root for it to my dying day, but it ain’t going to happen (prove me wrong GRRM, prove me wrong). We expect Sansa to do it because it isn’t unrealistic for her. Is it “fair”? No. Evolution has nothing to do with fairness..Justice and fairness is a man-made concept. Evolution only cares about the continuation of a species. Can people overcome their evolutionary urges? Yes, absolutely. Do they? Extremely rarely. Is it realistic to expect them to do so? No. It would be nice if Tyrion would fall in love with someone ugly. But I ain’t holding my breath.

*For the record: I consider myself a feminist but I don’t believe in denying solid science in favor of ideology.

76. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

paprikacrocante,

I NEVER said nor implied that I wanted Sansa to be a trophy wife. You’re projecting there.

77. Ruthmarie
    Posted May 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

Watching GOT the past few weeks – I have been wondering about how their relationship is meant to go. I see them together, but more as partners – maybe with her ruling the north and Tyrion as her most trusted advisor. The show appears to have invested too much into their relationship for it to be meaningless at the end game.

Perhaps because I am a fan of Tudor history and especially the history and life of Queen Elizabeth I, I somewhat draw a parallel with the Sansa’s storyline and that of the young Elizabeth. Elizabeth was raised in viper’s nest every bit as poisonous as King’s Landing. Because she was Anne Boleyn’s daughter she was at the center of the turmoil that was the English Reformation…a truly unenviable position to be in. Her early life was a mine field littered with those who wanted her dead and those who sought to take advantage of her. There was even Thomas Seymour who tried to secretly wed her and was later beheaded. His antics and attempt at seduction almost cost Elizabeth her life. Littlefinger could be Sansa’s Thomas Seymour.

Elizabeth remained unmarried and resisted any attempts by her advisors to arrange a political match. Certainly, the fact that Elizabeth’s mother and step-mother were executed may have put her off marriage. That would be enough to do it for just about anyone… But remaining unmarried served Elizabeth well as she could continue to play the “betrothal game” until she was in her late 40s. This allowed her to dally with various potential alliances without being committed by marriage to anyone or any country in particular.

Elizabeth had a long-term lover in Robert Dudley, later the Earl of Leicester. But he could not swim in deep political water. But her primary advisor, the one that stayed with her from the beginning of her reign to his death was Sir William Cecil – later Lord Burghley. When he died, his son took his place (I think he was Sir Robert Cecil). Sir Robert, interestingly enough, was deformed – extremely short and a hunchback.

I guess I see Tyrion potentially as Sansa’s William/Robert Cecil…

I have only read the first book, but certainly in the show, Tyrion is certainly being set up as one of the few people politically canny enough and intelligent enough to rebuild Westeros. I think they could be powerful partners. The foundation of trust was built during their time together at Kings Landing. But I don’t necessarily sense that it would be a romantic relationship…although I have to say that they do play with that a bit in some of the scenes…that he “rescues” her several times. But that does not necessarily foreshadow a romantic relationship.

I’m probably reading way too much into this from history since Tudor England has always fascinated me. So there is a huge bias there. But there it is.