Liam Cunningham on travelling to Braavos, and working with Mark Gatiss
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

The last time we saw Ser Davos Seaworth he had come up with an idea to assist his King, and with the help of Shireen, had penned a letter to the Iron Bank of Braavos. In this week’s preview we learned that not only will he cross the Narrow Sea with Stannis to visit the city, we’ll see the debut of Sherlock’s Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris.

Davos and Stannis will come face to face with the new character, and in an interview with Access Hollywood, Liam Cunningham says that working with Gatiss was a delight. “He’s a fantastic actor. … So to be in a scene with him was an absolute joy, an absolutely a privilege.”

Liam also speaks more about Davos’ “eureka moment” and what we can expect to see because of it.

“Stannis quite rightly says, ‘Who have we got on our side?’ and I point out a couple of the banner families, and he basically looks at me and goes, ‘That’s it? You need to redouble your efforts.’ However, with very little to go on, we’ve lost everything. We’ve lost… 30 ships that we got off Salladhor Saan. Our coffers are extremely diminished, so the only way to do this is to go to the people who finance the Lannisters, who are financing King’s Landing, and that involves getting in touch, somehow or other, with the big guns, with the Lehmans. … as in the bank that went bang here. Lehman Brothers. Goldman Sachs. That’s actually who we’re gonna have to go and see. Something’s gotta be done, so we’ll have to talk to the powers that be in Braavos, which is, of course, going to be one of the most impressive sights that we’ve seen on this show, and we’ve never seen it before.”

For more from Liam on his relationship with Stephen Dillane and Carice Van Houten, and what they do in their down time, visit Access Hollywood.

1. Elias
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I was kinda hoping we would first see Braavos when Arya arrives there. Braavos feels like it ‘belongs’ to Arya and her storyline so having someone else show up there first in the show kind of takes away from her in a way

2. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Dywen!

3. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

STANNIS

4. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Elias,

I know what you mean but I’m still super excited to see Stannis arrive there. I’m sure Arya’s storyline will show us a lot more of Braavos like all the canals and the whore houses and the house of black and white of course. Also Stannis being there gives us the chance to see the Iron Bank – somewhere Arya never goes to (or at least not yet).

5. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Elias,

the Stannis/Davos s4 arc needed material, since they exhausted all of Davos’ aSoS chapters in s3… I’m happy they’re going to braavos early, because otherwise it would be pushed back to s5 and there would be too many new locations to introduce with the sunspear, volantis, the rhoyne, new iron island locations, the reach (shield islands) and also reintroducing pentos… It would be too confusing for unsullied

6. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink
  7. Cliomuse
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

The Iron Bank – too big to fail to make you pay off your loan. Really looking forward to watching the finance and politics unfold.

8. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

All of Stannis’ Asos material? What about arriving at the Wall!?

9. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

wizardeyes,

He said all Davos chapters, not all Stannis material. And on that point he is correct- though I do think Davos will go to the Wall in the show. Scenes between him and Jon could be adorable.

10. EverydayImHodoring
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Team Davos

11. ReekReek
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

This episode should have been called “Stannis and Davos: Chillin’ in Braavos.”

12. Blutrabe
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

jentario,

Or maybe Stannis will drop him off at White Harbour… Who knows?

13. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

jentario:

Hahaha i knew there was between them!

14. Luka Nieto
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Blutrabe,

Considering that the storyline your comment implied probably won’t happen until season 5 (I mean, why start it now), that seems… unnecessary. He will probably follow his king to battle, and will be given his new mission in episode 10 or early in the next season. You lose nothing (as, again, that storyline probably won’t start until next season), and you gain more time with this great character.

15. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    wizardeyes,

Hopefully you’re right. Liam Cunningham is one of the most charismatic actors on the show and there just isn’t book material to fulfill my show-Davos needs. I’d love if they gave him some extra stuff. He can just as easily be sent to White Harbor from the Wall.

16. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Blutrabe,

Davos’ aDwD arc is small enough already, why unnecessarily start it early. I’d hope he doesn’t land in white harbour until earliest e6 in s5… Maybe he leaves east watch in e3 (same time as Sam, Gilly, Aemon and Dareon leave for braavos? They would also arrive in e6 and leave in the s5 finale for oldtown) – I’ve forgotten his name, but there is a summer island captain who takes Sam and Gilly to Oldtown from braavos, maybe he could be introduced this season because Hoji Fortuna isn’t Brown Ben Plumm, he could be introduced as a smuggler friend of Davos? And I’ve been thinking, there is a girl (playing a whore) who tweeted about working with Liam Cunningham, why would Davos be in a whore house unless meeting up with someone, or D&D are ruining his character…

17. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I 100% ship Stavos

18. Blutrabe
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

Ser Davos Seaworth,

I’m not talking about starting Davos’ ADWD storyline in S4. We could just see Stannis giving him the mission and seeing him off, then return to Davos in S5.

19. R
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I hope we will see at least a glimpse of house of black and white already this season :))

20. King Stannis
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Elias:

Does it matter? Does not take anything besides the fact it is introduced as one part of the city which is the bank. No city in this story “Belongs” to one character.
    I personally think is more to the fact is “added” in the show and not in the book which is what bothers you just as anything new by the show bothers book purist because it is not what they read.

21. dragonreborn
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I agree with Elias. It would be better to experience the amazement with Arya, though I can hardly wait for the braavos scenes in this episode!

22. Phil
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

this is gonna make more sense for non book readers when Tycho shows up at the wall next season. Even having read the book it never made sense to me why the Iron Bank would go to Stannis to try and get their debt back from the iron throne.

23. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Oh yeah sorry – my bad

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Yeah I think that Davos will go to Castle Black and fight in the battle. They need recognizable faces to show so I think Stannis and Davos will be front and centre in the battle. Then I imagine there will be a big reshuffling of characters in season 5 with Stannis sending Davos to White Harbour, Jon sending Sam, Gilly and Aemon away and then Selyse and Shireen arriving at some point.

24. Felt Pelt
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

I imagine all pirates/smugglers will become Salladhor Saan, which will be great. If not this season then hopefully the next. I really liked his last appearance, sniping at Davos while eating food and reluctantly agreeing to take him home.

25. dreamlife
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Intriguing. The image of the Titan of Braavos from the trailers is impressive. I wonder if they plan on adding Bravos to the opening sequence, since they haven’t been tweaking it this season.