Pedro Pascal on Tywin’s motives, and Oberyn’s upcoming fight sequence
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Oberyn Martell will serve as a judge at Tyrion’s trial in tonight’s new episode of Game of Thrones, and has also been offered a seat on the small council at the hand of Tywin Lannister. It’s no wonder, as Oberyn’s arrival in King’s Landing was paired with a promise to avenge his sister’s death, that Tywin is trying to win Oberyn’s favor.

In a new interview with GQ, Pedro Pascal talks about Tywin’s motives, and filming the fight scene that we’ve seen in many of the Season 4 previews.

What are Tywin’s motives behind his appointment of Oberyn to the small council?
At the end of the day being on top is what’s important at any cost. The Lannister name is what’s important to Tywin—the power of sitting on the throne. Oberyn definitely has some bad blood with them, so to bring him into his inner circle—in order to continue moving his own agenda forward—is so typically Tywin. Oberyn participates because for him it’s a game. He’s enticed not so much by being in a position of power, but by getting closer to his enemy. The nugget that Tywin presents to him is the opportunity to face The Mountain.

Spoiler alert! We know—and got a peek in the trailer—that Oberyn will get his fight.
It was a lot of fight choreography that was stuff I’d never done before. I have mostly stage experience. So I’ve never done anything as challenging as this. We filmed in Croatia at the Hotel Dubrovnik, which is basically abandoned—it was destroyed during the war. There was this amphitheater right over the water that the crew set beautifully. It was the most insane production team I’ll probably ever work with. It was thrilling and scary, grueling and beautiful, and delicious, and fun. David and Dan, in their adaptation, still refuse to completely betray the books, but they keep surprises hidden.

For more from Pedro including his thoughts on bastards in the Thrones universe, Oberyn’s sexuality, the kingdom of Dorne, and a very truthful game of ‘fuck, marry, kill’ visit GQ.

1. Jeb
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Viper!

2. Turri
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

SAY HER NAME!!

3. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

What!! This is stupid!! This is why trailers shouldn’t show these things!! it spoils tyrion’s champion reveal

4. Balerion
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for that one…!!!

5. Valaquen
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth:
    What!! This is stupid!! This is why trailers shouldn’tshow these things!! it spoils tyrion’s champion reveal

Folk I know think he’s getting his fight as a result of making peace with Tywin. So I think they’re fine in the long run.

6. Darkstar
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I am still very curious about him and Lena. Are they or aren’t they? It certainly appears to be so.

7. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Oberyn will be split in half with Gregor’s greatsword. His head won’t be smashed in :(

8. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

My comment got deleted. It seems pretty clear that Oberyn will be sliced in half instead of his face getting smashed in.

9. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Turri:
    SAY HER NAME!!

SAY HIS NICKNAME!!

Anyway…

This scares me.

10. Michael Anthony Leber
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

What? They’re not going to keep him alive.

11. Tatters
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Fucking Cleganes, always fighting like cleavers.

12. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Michael Anthony Leber,

What I said. Watch Obs’ first scene again.

13. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Really? What gives you this idea?

Mariya Martell,

Hear hear!

14. House Threepwood
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I don’t think they’re gonna make something that different.I was thinking maybe change the stable boy into Lancel,no one would see that one coming..

15. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Anything else to suggest that other than him saying that?

Valaquen,

There’s a thread on GoT reddit called ‘could Tyrion demand trial by combat?’ where Unsullied are discussing whats going to happen. Most seem to think that either Jaime or Bronn will fight for Tyrion or even Jaime fight for Cersei and Bronn fight for Tyrion. (They seems to think the Jaime/ Bronn sword practicing scenes have fore-shadowed this). In that sense I suppose those scenes have served as a nice little misdirection.

16. jentario
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

And I split her in half like THIS

wizardeyes,

That along with this interview is almost a dead giveaway. I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t count on it.

17. Ser Matt the Sullen
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Tee hee take this poison tee hee

*choke*

18. Summer
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Oberyn will survive the duel and will also probablybe the main character in the upcoming Dorne storyline in season 5.

But he WILL survive the fight.

19. the other guy
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Summer,

No way they make a change this big

20. dreamlife
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I completely understand the importance and necessity of Ned, Robb, and Catelyn’s deaths, but I actually really hope Oberyn survives his fight. I feel like his story was cut short way too soon and would love for him to be our link to Dorne if/when the show adds it as a location

21. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Summer,

dreamlife,

Okay so if Oberyn doesn’t die then he wins the duel so Tyrion is judged innocent. Then Jaime doesn’t free him and he doesn’t kill Tywin. How would that work?

22. WinterRy71
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

dreamlife:
    I completely understand the importance and necessity of Ned, Robb, and Catelyn’s deaths, but I actually really hope Oberyn survives his fight.I feel like his story was cut short way too soon and would love for him to be our link to Dorne if/when the show adds it as a location

This is a pretty terrible usage of spoiler tags or lack thereof

23. House Threepwood
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

No,come on..it’s one of the most memorable and iconic moments of the books,I WANT IT INTACT.And I’m not too crazy about what Jentario foresees either..although I got to admit it’s looking that this is the way they’re going to go,still.. I insist they turn bad luck stable boy into Lancel ,would be awesome.

24. wizardeyes
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

jentario,

what in the interview suggests that?

25. Hath4
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

the mountain cuts a peasant in half in episode 7 not the red viper

26. Rickard Greyjoy
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I’m thinking you may be right here as well. Add to those as well that in the last episode, in the 2nd Hound & Arya scene, the last line the Hound delivers is something to extent of “You want to be a fighter, get a big sword and some armor” or at least something stating the superiority of plate and a large weapon to light armor and a small one. Then it cuts to King’s Landing for an Oberyn/Cersei scene.
    Was surprised I hadn’t seen more people commenting on that particular arrangement of scenes after last episode.

27. Hexonx
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink
  28. MX
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I stayed in that hotel as a kid!

29. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

What madness about the RV & Mountain is this? I have a feeling we will learn of RV’s nickname during the exposition leading to the duel…or maybe during the duel in ep8. In any case, the mountain will kill someone before the fight to build up tension (instead of the Inn scene, thankfully).

The RV will fight an incredible fight against the mountain, and those great words about his sister & her children will be repeated. He will find and pierce every nook and cranny in the mountain’s armor but he will die horribly after seemingly winning convincingly. IT MUST BE! And the Mountain must say those horrible words when he suddenly ends it all. IT MUST BE!

And Tyrion will vomit violently

30. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Yulp. There is much crazy talk here. I also love the idea that the red viper could lead the dornish army… But it just AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

jentario,

I think you’re reaching here. It could work out like this, because it would be shocking and reminiscent of the horse, but I don’t think the evidence you’re citing really supports jumping to this conclusion, respectfully.

31. Paulette
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

I also don’t understand the crazy talk. Oberyn will die. Like someone else already mentioned, if Oberyn lives that means that Tyrion will be found innocent…. which means that he would either be set free or sent to the wall. Tywin doesnt die. Shae doesnt die. And there would be no reason for him to go across the narrow sea and escape. Obviously, Oberyn has to die.

32. Locke's beard
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Hexonx:
    jentario,

This pic makes me think he will get his eyes gouged out

Yes, his eyes gauged out by Cersei. After he kills the Mountain. Cause she mad.

33. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Michael Anthony Leber:
    Mariya Martell,

What? They’re not going to keep him alive.

Lol no, that would be insane! It’s just that the entire scene was perfect in the book. Had me literally on the edge of my seat and it takes a lot to do that. I just don’t want it ruined, that’s all.

wizardeyes:

Well, hopefully they won’t see this thread title then…

34. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:57 am | Permalink

jentario:

I agree.

At first, that pic with the “eye gouging” made me think they would keep everything the same. But when Oberyn is talking to Tyrion and says The Mountain sliced Elia in half changed my mind about it. The irony in the book is that he dies exactly like she did, so that statement points to him dying that way.

Still, they could keep the eye gouging and just change how Gregor slams his fist into his skull.

35. Ionuts
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I agree. I can only hope that this gossip about RV not dying in the duel with the Mountain it’s just BS. I hope D&D won’t chage that much the storyline and insert the character of Doran (if I recall correctly his name)…It would suck big time cause IMHO Doran is a far more interesting character than Oberyn … besides, it would ruin or possibly cut all scenes from Dorne, including those related to other characters from books 4 and 5. All of those characters are influenced in a certain manner by Doran, and frankly, even though RV is an interesting character he cannot have that same influence

36. Zack
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    jentario,

Anything else to suggest that other than him saying that?

Valaquen,

Wow, I really like that theory. If that was indeed what was going to happen, it probably would have been as memorable as the real deal. But it would have meant R.I.P. Bronn, so I’m glad it’s not going to come to that.

37. Azha
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Take this for what it’s worth. according to AWOIAF, trial by combat doesn’t have to be to the death. So all that really would have to happen is Oberyn being the first “to yield.” It is possible this could be interpreted not only to voluntarily lay down one’s weapon, but also to not be able to continue to fight. Tyrion would still be guilty by loss, and that storyline can proceed as needed. As long as the Mountain confesses, that should be enough to stir the hornet’s nest that is Dorne and the Sand Snakes. It’s one thing to have the open secret that TM raped and killed the former royals, but another to have a confession happen during what is, in effect, a legal proceeding, and that openly points the finger at Tywin of having condoned the act. I believe in the books its suggested Tywin tried to save TM from Oberyn’s poison so he can have the Crown try him for his crimes as a rogue knight, and therefore hopefully appease House Martell and prevent them from joining forces with Stannis.