Unsullied Recap, Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 6 – The Laws of Gods and Men
By Oz of Thrones on in Recap.

braavosSpoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask that all Sullied book-readers refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand or afterwards, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  Welcome back to your Unsullied, non-book reader recap where the Laws of Gods and Men could be translated in modern terms as Cross-Examination Prohibited.

Justice in Westeros leaves a lot to be desired.  But when you know the trial of Tyrion is imminent, and the “previously on” depicts many of the characters that he chose to torment during his run as Hand of the King, it doesn’t take a great analyst to estimate that what was about to take place was not going to be in his favor.

Braavos is in the opening credits.  Strong sexual content is in the warnings.  And Salladhor Saan is in a hot tub.  Welcome to Law and Order HBO.

One of my curiosities of this episode was how the Iron Bank would compare to those of current western civilization and in terms of the waiting times to see someone, it’s very similar.  After becoming impatient, Tycho all but turns down Stannis who has no money down, very little collateral, and an unimpressive claim to the throne (not to mention an apparent low credit score).

But before Stannis is dismissed without even a dum dum sucker for his voyage, Davos Seaworth (a.k.a., The Closer of Deals) saves the day and somehow learns the locale of his favorite pirate in the process.

Welcome back Salladhor, the pirate pimp of Spa Bela Braavos!  I can only assume they will be sailing back to pick up Red Velvet at Dragonstone.  But will they still be going north afterwards?

Side note:  Braavos looked incredible on screen.  I had no idea the city would be that vast.

Yara is seen rallying her troops on her ship by reading the letter from Ramsay.  And Ramsay is seen rallying his sausage in the gratuitous sex scene of the week.

At first, I was confused as to exactly where this scene took place considering Ramsay and Reek could have assumedly been at Moat Cailin by now.  But the Dreadfort it is, and I thought the fight scene with bloody Ramsay was quality.

Two things stuck out in my mind from this scene and the bath:  1.  We knew Theon was mentally unstable, but this series of events showed just how far gone he is, and 2.  Ramsay is not just a sadistic killer and torturer.  The guy is even more intelligent than previously thought and his plan on the Moat for Theon to act like Theon seems genius.

But has Yara really given up on her brother, and is she gone for good?

Dragon sighting.

Dany has taken her throne and learns that she might have been wise to take Selmy’s advice in terms of “mercy”, at least for some of the residents of Meereen.  Dany learns that the non-slave residents were not all cruel slave owners and crucifiers of children.  The point here to me was that in the future Dany might be wise to get all facts before passing judgment and implicating punishment, which somewhat correlates to what we would see later with Tyrion. She makes the right decision for Hizdahr, but her arrogance at times during the conversation was a huge turn-off.

A little more truth:  I find myself repeatedly struggling to stay involved with Dany’s story.  I think the conflict lies with the idea that we the viewers have been led to believe that we should like her character.  But the more I see of her, the more I find myself growing to dislike her, and maybe that is the intent.  After all, she does come from a line of family that included the Mad King and her own brother, Viserys.  The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, or so they say.

The Small Council meets with new inductees, Mace and Oberyn.  A bounty is put out on the Hound after the birds told Varys he was in the Riverlands.  Strange that the birds did not report that the Hound has a small girl sidekick.

Finally, it seems that the Lannisters are taking Dany’s threat seriously.  Tywin seems to imply that he will pen another one of his infamous letters devising another plot and scheme.  Maybe this will add a needed spark to Dany’s storyline.

And what exactly did Varys mean when he told Oberyn that the absence of desire leaves one free to pursue other things and then motions toward the throne?  Of course, don’t answer this, dear Sullied. But is it a sign that Varys has a desire to rule on the throne himself?  Or serve in a higher capacity?  Perhaps, to a Targaryan?  Intriguing.

Let the unfair and unbalanced commence!

Tyrion is escorted in manacles to his post where the seat of injustice apparently reigns supreme.

The motive and the state of mind of the accused is exposed by the expected players: Meryn, Pycelle, and of course Cersei and the right to confront your accusers is not permitted other than one lone question to Varys.

Court is adjourned for lunch where Jaime pleads for his brother’s life in return for taking the seat at Casterly Rock and promising to continue to the family name with a wife and little gold-handed Jaime Jr’s.  *Lancel Sandwich mention!* The only puzzling part of this would be the agreement to send Tyrion to serve in the Night’s Watch, which sounds a lot like an alternate death sentence.  But it wouldn’t matter…

Who got to Shae?  Cersei?  Varys for Cersei?  I’m not sure anyone saw this one coming, but I would like to know (SPOILER FREE, of course) if the equivalent of Shae in the books does the same thing that happened last night.  But again, if this is too spoilery, then please skip it.

After he has heard enough, Tyrion Lannister does what makes us all root for the underdog; for the unfairly accused; for the one’s that can’t fight for themselves.  He unleashes a bevy of words that invariably says fight the power, and fuck the bureaucracy, and makes us stand up and cheer.  To the dismay of Cersei and the disgust of Tywin, Tyrion demands a trial by combat and Dinklage most likely wins another deserved award.

Episode 406 Personal Awards

Favorite Scene:  The Bank scene was excellent, but this was Tyrion’s day in court.
Favorite Quote #1:  “Do you love me, Reek?” -Ramsay

Favorite Quote #2:   “Lord Tyrell, be a good man.  Fetch my quill and paper.” –Tywin (I’m totally using this at my next Board meeting).

Favorite Quote #3: “When I see what desire does to people, what it’s done to this country, I am very glad to have no part in it.” –Varys

Favorite Quote #4:  “Let me guess.  I’ve been pardoned.”  -Tyrion

The Woman Scorned Award:  Return of Shae

Final Thoughts:  One of my favorites of the Season and not just because of the trial.  That being said, the rebuttal of Tyrion was yet another classic moment in a show that has already given us so many.  My assumption is that the trial by combat will be that of the previewed Mountain versus Oberyn, with the Mountain representing the Crown and Oberyn (accepting as an opportunity for revenge) being chosen as the champion for Tyrion.   Of course, I’m Unsullied, and the Unsullied are wrong… often.

That’s it for me today Ladies and Sers!  What were your favorite quotes?  Scenes?

What were your thoughts on the trial of Tyrion?  Dany’s story?  The bounty of the Hound?  Reek?

Likes? Dislikes? Grumblings?  Holla…. Everyone is welcome.

BUT NO SPOILERS HERE!  NO HINTS! NO BOOK RELATED DISCUSSION!

A man can be found in the birdverse now, so by all means…  @ozofthrones.

I will do my best to bust out a Looking Forward for the weekend, but no promises.  A man is off on his annual trip with Ozzette to the shores of Westeros to take in a plethora of live music and do my best impression of a drunk twenty-something year old.

In the past and on special occasion, I have been able to meander and bullshit my way into getting a media pass to this event.  Should this be the case, check my tweeting skills @ozofthrones for some up-close pics of musicians you may (or may not) be familiar with.  If my people skills have dwindled and are in need of sharpen, check my feed for pics of the back of peoples’ heads.

1000 meaningless points if you can guess the destination.

Until then, have a great week and may there always be peace in your realm. –Oz

“Unbowed.  Unbent.  Unsullied.”

PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THE UNSULLIED… Do not post spoilers in this comment thread!

1. steve s
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Hodor!

2. Winter
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Another great recap, Oz.

And since you asked, yes, Shae does this in the book as well.

3. Arden
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Shae goes against Tyrion in the books as well lol a lot of people we worried she wouldn’t cause of the white washing

4. Laszlo
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Yes, the Shae testimony is pretty much the same in the books.

5. MUGger
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

SPOILER-FREE answer to your question: The book Shae does testify against Tyrion in the books, and offers much the same testimony (although she shames him even more by saying that he forced her to call him “my giant of Lannister” during sex). The book Shae, however, has different motives and priorities for her testimony compared to the show Shae.

6. John
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

No comment on the fact that this was probably the first Stark-free episode?
    And no comment on the fact that Lysa appears next episode? ;)

Great read as always!
    The trial was really well done, esp. by Peter Dinklage! He is truly a great actor, it is known!

What I also liked: The first “Khaleesi” this season (Missandei as she introduced Dany to the goat herder)

7. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Winter,

All Rise… WP is present.

Thanks buddy. The Shae shocker I did not see coming. A man appreciates your input. Don’t be a stranger.

8. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Thanks to everyone for the info on Shae and remaining unspoilery about it.

And Pierre, all comments and opinions are welcome. If you feel the need to elaborate, I have always been wide open to constructive criticism. Have a good one!

9. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, I was not overwhelmed by the Dinklage in his grand speech. It felt a bit overblown. Of course, Tyrion’s resentment is understandable, it was just… the exaggerated mouth movements, I think. Something didn’t sit right with me.

I hope this isn’t the last we see of Yara! It was a good scene for Theon/Reek character development, but I want something for Yara herself, too. But oh, by the old gods and the new, that bath scene was creepy. Total brainwashing.

Dany settles in to do some ruling. It’s going to be time-consuming, it looks like. And is Hizdahr telling the truth about his father, or just making it up for goodwill points from Dany?

The look on Margaery’s face when Shae testified… A hint of guilt? Astonishment at the railroading of Tyrion? She was definitely surprised (while Oberyn just seemed curious about the sex). Who was the guy sitting next to Loras? He was in the shot a lot, but didn’t look familiar to me.

And yes, Lancel mention! Are we going to see him again? We did get to see Salladhor Saan again, which was nice. And wow, did the banker talk sense to Stannis. Not what he wanted to hear. But banks don’t care about bloodlines, Stannis, they just want to know they’ll get their money back. (And hey, we got an age for Tywin.)

10. FIRE-n-BLOOD
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I would assume that no mention of a girl with the Hound would be for the same reason that Poliver thought that Arya was with him, an unimportant female that the Hound was using for company.

The trial scene was well acted on all parts. Tywin being the head judge, Mace being the lacky, Oberyn being the only partial judge, the testimony skewing actual events by Cersi, Pycell, Trant, Varys, Shae. Jamie watching and looking like he is being convinced of either Tryions guilt or that he has no chance, and finally, Tryion getting more and more hopeless for a fair trial.

11. Summer
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I was hoping Braavos was put in the intro. And it is! :) But I’m wondering why the Eyrie hasn’t been put back. Why would that be?

12. Our Blades Are Sharp
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Summer,

Because then the Lannisters would know where Sansa is! Isn’t it obvious ;)

13. Gosensgo
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Great writing Oz, as always. You make my Monday mornings at the office better!

I was thinking that the Mountain vs Red Viper would be the “trial by combat”. Based on Tyrion’s first trial by combat, he didnt participate because it was an unfair advantage, but Lysa said that someone would have to step up for him. Are we assuming that Oberyn does that for Tyrion Oz?
    I hope no one i like dies. You hear the Rains of Castamere and you know it means trouble. Ugh – Who am I kidding.

Stark Free episode is NOT my cup of tea, but it still was an awesome episode.

I love Dany – and I don’t dislike her one bit.
    All rulers have some arrogancy to them… but she has a heart, and she gave him what he wanted.

14. Howland Reed
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I’m sullied and Dany is one of my least favorite characters as well. Her story line is the main reason but like you Oz, I find her to be a fairly unlikeable person to boot once the beginning of her story arc ends (with the dragons being born, season 1 stuff). She’s also perhaps the one main POV character who is terribly cliche and terribly predictable in the books. In the TV show it’s worse, with all the overly dramatic speeches she seems forced to give. It’s interesting to see an unsullied come to some of the same conclusions too.

I do like when Tywin was advised about Dany’s potential danger his instinct was to wield paper and pen first, army only if it comes to it.

15. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

My friends and I were actually speculating last night that maybe Dany’s slow-burn story arc is to go crazy in the end like her father and brother, so it’s interesting you mention that. It would be kind of fun for her to turn out to be some horrific villain burning Westeros to the ground once the entire population doesn’t immediately recognize her entitled-savior-messiah thing.

But to be fair, I’ve never been much of a Dany fan. “This should all be mine because my dad was an inbred lunatic” just doesn’t really hold up as a motivation I can get behind.

16. Andy smith
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I loved last nights episode , the final 10 minutes blew me away , Pete dinklage is just perfect as Tyrion , that final look between him and pops.

Pierre:
    Sorry but your reviews get worse and worse.

How about some elaboration? what is bad about this review? explanation please or is this just another fail troll attempt ?

17. Danyarya
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Dany’s a teenager with too much power. . . not unlike Joffery in her spoiled mindset. . .but because of her rearing in Essos as an outcast, and because of the deaths of her Sun and Stars and her baby, I think she’s a little more humble and a lot less crazy. Anyway, that’s my take on her.

My guess for the shores of Westeros–Myrtle Beach?

18. Lady Mormont
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I’m with you 100% on Dany, Oz. I understand why she’s such a fan favorite, and I actually did like her a lot in the beginning; a young princess adapting and making the best of a crappy situation instead of whining about it was awesome. But I find I like her less and less as the series moves forward. I have no problem with ambitious female characters (Margaery is one of my favorites), but Dany’s arrogance coupled with self-righteousness makes her hard to root for, at least for me. And it annoys the everliving hell out of me that she has her followers refer to her as “Queen of the Andals and the First Men” when she has yet to set foot in Westeros and has very limited knowledge or experience with its people and customs. Weird pet peeve, I know, but it drives me nuts.

I don’t begrudge the people who do like her, and she’s certainly far from the worst character or ruler out there, but I can’t say I’m a fan. I do love the dragons though (obviously).

19. Lorss
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Pierre,

If you dont like them dont read them or do ones yourself, i actually like them

20. Amanda M
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Great recap as always! Can’t get over how great that episode was. Even knowing what was going to happen, I was still screaming at the TV hahaha.

That final scene was amazing — Peter Dinklage killed his delivery, and I LOVED the different expressions/emotions on Cersei, Tywin, and Jaime’s faces. You could almost feel the raw anger and hatred from Cersei & Tywin, and could practically hear Jaime’s internal screaming of “No! What are you doing??? Stop! Shut up! Shut up!”

Having The Rains of Castamere over the credits was a great choice — all that juicy tension between the Lannisters (my favorite house/family! So overlooked) punctuated by their “anthem”

21. Ludo
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Oz, I also find your review less inspired than before, but mainly for one reason : you describe too much. No need to describe the episode because we all watched it already. I think you should more focus on your personal opinions or emotions, on what you felt during this scene or that one. Or maybe analyzing the scenes, like the amazing Andy Greenwald does every week (I don’t know if you read his recaps, he is unsullied too and they are always awesome and very deep). Basically, I would prefer to read something more personal, not just a description of what happened with one or two funny comments inside.

But that’s just my opinion ! First of all, enjoy your writing !

22. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

This Sullied also agrees on Dany. Since the beginning of Book/Season 2, it basically been like watching paint dry. (Other than the occasional killer scene here and there.) I get that she needs to learn to rule, etc. and she’s a teenager, but so are Bran, Sansa and Arya. (Actually, they are younger than her.) All have had WAY more interesting story lines.

23. Zack Luye
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Oz I love you please let us cover you with GOO soon?

24. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

About Dany:

I agree with you, Oz. I’ve been struggeling with Dany’s whole arc for quite a while now (I even got into a fight over it because I declared her dead after the awfully stupid solution to the “Dany gets the Unsullied army” problem).

However, I’m liking some shades they have been throwing her way in the show lately and I really, really like to see some actual opposition that is not just cut from a comic-book cardboard. Tywin’s magical quill got me going on that front, and the fact that the show didn’t forget Dany overthrow two cities and left them to fall into chaos.

25. Soopa Doop
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The title of next week could be a bit spoilery considering the trial by combat we now know may happen, but it may not be as simple as that. Maybe we’re going to be shown two fights, but the Viper and the Mountain will be the more action packed.

Maybe the two combatants for the trial will be Cersei/Tywin picking Jaime to screw with Tyrion and Tyrion picks Bronn so that battle will payoff the training the two have done, but now their lives are on the line. After the trial, Oberyn goes to Tywin and orders the Mountain to come and then we have the battle the episode is named after. Of course I wouldn’t want Bronn, Jaime, or Tyrion to die, but GOT is capable of putting us in these uncomfortable battles where we love both sides. After suffering through that battle, I’d be crazy for revenge and what better way than to have Oberyn kick ass and kill the Mountain.

Hey, I could be very, very wrong, but I’m just pitching the most tense battle the show could have, Tyrion/Bronn vs Cersei/Jaime. It’ll most likely be Tyrion/Oberyn vs Cersei & Tywin/Mountain as the title may suggest.

26. Gosensgo
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Also, I think Shae voluntarily came
    Forward with this lie. I don’t think she was manipulated to do so

27. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Also, I think Shae voluntarily came
    Forward with this lie. I don’t think she was manipulated to do so

I’m absolutely sure she was manipulated. THEY had to work the witnesses to make the story convincing enough. If they have just a bunch of Tyrion-hating people talk about random things, things could go wrong one way or another. Instead, most of the witnesses spoke almost exclusively the truth, almost no direct Tyrion quote they brought was a lie, the number of lies was kept to the absolute minimum, just enough to evaporate any kind of doubt about Tyrion being the murderer.

Stuff like that doesn’t happen by chance. Shae was well prepared, by the same person who told the other witnesses where to stick to the truth and where to deviate. The only question is how much she “gladly” participated in the whole thing.

28. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Soopa Doop,

I’m pretty sure whe WON’T have another “Bronn saves Tyrion’s ass” situation. I actually suspect that the “trial by combat” thingy is a fake cliffhanger and we will be told that Tyrion has no right to demand trial by combat (which, in fact, he shouldn’t, considering that he openly committed high treason by his words in the throne room alone), or that nobody volunteers to fight for him or something.

Because, lets face it, Tyrion will not be saved again by TbC, he played this card in season one and this is a one shot (meta level speaking).

29. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Too funny! :) I think the ironborn took one look at that sausage and ran for their lives! May the kraken jokes commence…

30. Crusader
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

My daughter loved the reference of Varys enjoying having “no part” in the affairs of emotion ( whether or not that was intended to be a slight pun ). Tyrion knocked it out of the park last night and the look on Tywin’s face when his plans exploded with Tyrion’s confession was priceless !

31. Gosensgo
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Lloga,

Maybe they threatened her with her life

Also- the reason I say she may have voluntarily came forward is because of the way she was talking to him… She said in just a whore with such disdain.

32. Shock Me
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

The problem I have with Daeny, Arya, Jon, and to a certain degree Sanasa is the speed with which their plot-lines move forward.

Daeny’s arc can be especially boring even though she gets some massive Boss moments.

Arya walks all over but never seems to get to where she is going although she is fun to watch.

Jon walks around back and forth over the wall in the time it takes to drag Bran north of the wall, but never seems to accomplish much or convince anyone of anything except for the people who were already his friends.

Sansa has been stuck in King’s landing and is now stuck in a new place in the Vale.

I can honestly see people hating all these characters.

Myself I enjoy all the characters, even Daeny.

They do make me impatient for their part in the tale to move forward so I take every narrative delay with hearty “Seriously?”

33. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Well, yes, she obviously did take the way Tyrion set her off to heart. She probably did need to be tortured to testify against him, I agree, but I don’t think she was allowed to choose what to say during her testimony.

34. GG
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t characterize Cersei’s expression as dismay. More like dry amusement.

35. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont,

About the Dinklage Great Speech:

It was unnaturally overdone. I don’t think anyone can argue against that.
    In fact, I immediately felt that I have seen that scene before: When I was 13 years old and was watching Shakespeare’s “12th Night” for the first time, on Malvolio’s exit speech. Even the wording is remarkably similar.

36. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

John:
    No comment on the fact that this was probably the first Stark-free episode?
    And no comment on the fact that Lysa appears next episode? ;)

Great read as always!

Jorah already called her that at least once. And I’m pretty sure Daenerys introduced herself as such in her speech to the Meereenese slaves (her title keeps getting longer and longer – won’t count for much in Braavos though :P)

37. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Ludo,

Thank you for the feedback. And I 100% agree. There has always been a fine line between the right amount of recap and the right amount of reaction to include, and where that line is when the post really stops becoming a recap.

But I am always aiming to improve and appreciate the input!

38. Isabelle
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Okay, I’m breaking the promise to myself never to comment here (am a thoroughly Sullied viewer) because this was a line too good not to comment on. It’s so true–Davos always seems to get the job done, even when Stannis threatens him with death or a side-eye like last season. Move over Brenda Leigh Johnson!

Back to Sullied-exile now. But I do love your recaps, particularly the humour. Keep it up!

39. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Zack Luye,

You know it. The love is reciprocal, brother.

40. Ashara D
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Love your stuff, Oz! Ignore Pierre the Troll. I’d love to hear what you think of the previews…

Have fun this weekend!

41. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Lloga:
    Lyanna Mormont,

About the Dinklage Great Speech:

It was unnaturally overdone. I don’t think anyone can argue against that.

It was straight from the books as well most likely as well so for me at least that makes it even better

42. Soopa Doop
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Lloga,

I did consider that, but I also didn’t think there would be two weddings back to back where a major character would die, so they may go back to that well and make it new by having the King’s Landing edition of trial by combat. I’m also fascinated at the possibility of Tywin beating Tyrion to the punch and announcing Jaime as his champion, so Tyrion has to come up with another name. That name could be Bronn. Of course it could just be Oberyn and the Mountain and sometimes the best scenario is the most predictable scenario.

43. Restore The Day
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I hate all ‘previously ons’ ever! Good thing i don’t see them, but sorry you guys who do, get spoiled week after week, show after show.

Exception: original ones like buffy’s S5 finale

44. Marcin Bartnicki
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo:
    Lloga,

Maybe they threatened her with her life

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned”

- Best Storyteller of All Times

45. clegane
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

well I didn’t even really understand Tyrion’s anger towards the crowd. they were just acting like any crowd at any late night talk show. if they wanted him dead, it was because how their opinion was manipulated – it was very easy to believe him guilty with all those confessions, it’s not the crowd’s fault.

46. Veltigar
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Lloga:
    Lyanna Mormont,

About the Dinklage Great Speech:

It was unnaturally overdone. I don’t think anyone can argue against that.

That was the point though. Tyrion acted like the monster the room thought he was. That’s why he overdid.

[the first words ever spoken by a human to the apes]
    George Taylor: Cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron, you damned dirty ape!

47. Mimsy
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Oz,

Where’s your “ouch that hurts” award? I thought Yara’s axe to the head was quite the ouchie! :)

Dany is quite a bore for a young girl, but her story is intriguing in that the viewer is smacked in the face with the true trials of ruling over the people. Bran was just as bored with it when he was in charge of Winterfell. I have fun with Dany’s story by weighing the pros and cons of her military and reign and how that can possibly translate into a Westeros win.

48. Brugalex
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Please send aforementioned “Internet points” to my PayPal account. There’s a pack of gum I’ve been wanting.

Great recap, and have fun this weekend!

49. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Brugalex,

Send me the address. :)

50. TOIVA
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

In ‘The Laws of Gods and Men’, it was particularly Oberyn’s scenes that I enjoyed.

Small Council meetings are probably the best setting in the show, I believe all thus far have been magnificent. Varys, Tywin and now Oberyn are the reason (and Pycelle’s as well as Cersei’s ignorance).

Next scene of Oberyn with Varys leaves me wondering: Is Varys more similar to Littlefinger than we though? Is he plotting in a very similar manner to get ‘everything’? We know he’s met Magister Illyrio from Pentos in the first season making it seem like he was readying Westeros for the Targaryens, but then it was through his ‘spying network’ that Daenerys was nearly killed…
    And clearly Varys is a mystery for Oberyn as well. I can only wish for more scenes with them together.

Ramsay Snow is always a delight to see and he didn’t disappoint. Still manipulating his trained Reek with ease and glee.

What I liked most about the trial (other than the fact it finally started – honestly, 3 episodes for two weeks while the same time passed between the first episode and the Purple wedding was unbearable) were the short shots of Margaery, Cersei and Jaime. And I’m wondering, does Tywin actually believe Tyrion poisoned Joffrey? Now it’s clear he merely wants to punish Tyrion (not by death, for being an Imp), but he keeps straight face with all the Cersei masquerade, even when alone with Jaime.

51. Blind Beth
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

First, great review! I always enjoy the Oz reviews. :-)

Second, in regards to Dany: I think the issue with her story is similar to the issue some people have with Weeds, which is that you start with a female character who is sympathetic largely because she is in a crappy situation she has little control over but is facing this situation bravely.

But as time goes on her courage gets her higher up the food chain and she’s faced with very different choices, sometimes complicated no-win choices, and sometimes just choices that she’s not prepared for. So she makes mistakes, she might fall off the narrow fence between delightfully ballsy and annoyingly arrogant, and the person that we used to root for with no reservations is gone. She has gained enough power to become quite flawed.

I for one am still a Dany fan just because I think the mistakes she makes are consistent with her character and realistic for her situation. There is really no one in GoT that I can root for unreservedly, anyway. And her mistake chickens do often come home to roost.

I think I’m also ok with Dany because, while I don’t support class systems in real life, I’m ok with a person or character who is born into a high class feeling entitled as long as he/she also feels a sense of social responsibility–and I see both of those things in Dany. She makes mistakes and gets a little hoity-toity but she is trying to make things better for people.

We’ll see if she succeeds or just loses her mind and burns everything. :-P

52. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Any unsullied predictions?

Is Tyrion getting out of this alive?

Or are they going to rip out everyone’s hearts again by killing yet another major character?

53. Interior Bannisters
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Dany is a character that is laden with contradictions. She is compassionate yet she is cruel. She is brilliant yet foolishly naive. She has a strong moral code yet she is blindly judgmental. She spends seasons fighting for slaves, freeing slaves, destroying masters, destroying a cruel and sadistic 1000 year old culture, yet leaves those cities in chaos and turmoil without any structure. Dany is the very representative that the “stereotypical” qualities of a fantasy hero don’t always translate into becoming the “good” and “just” ruler. There is no such thing.

54. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf: its just the last line from that speech that was similar Malvolio says “i will be revenged on the whole pack of you” and Tyrion says “i wish i had enough poison for the whole pack of you” which is hardly the same thing they just had one phrase that was the same, borrowing one phrase doesnt ruin an entire speech, even if it was intentional. In a show which borrows so much more from history which is praised, you cant hate a speech for borrowing one phrase from literature

(1) Disagree on “just one line”:
    Malvolio is the “one sane man” in a set of madmen (and -women), he has to keep things running while all the others are just spreading chaos and running their personal agendas, he then gets discredited and put in a prison, taken completely out of the game and nobody cares. He gets thoroughly humiliated in the public and *snap*, he loses it.

(2) I don’t think the shout-out to Shakespeare “ruins it”. In fact, I enjoyed the stilbruch very much, because it really fits. In the play back then, Malvolio broke character, and on the edge of the stage he directly adressed the amused audience: “the whole pack of you!” Tyrion does the inverse thing, he stops being the reasonable contemporary person trapped in a fantasy show, and, for a second, becomes a neo-Shakespearean actor playing before the court.

(3) I don’t care about the books.

55. HARmundGiantsbane
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

another great read, Oz! I was completely unsullied throughout the first three seasons, but went full sullied before season 4 started. Reading your posts brings me back to my days in the great unsullied army

56. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

He’s getting out alive. No idea how, though. But I’m utterly convinced he won’t get out by TbC.
    I’m also not sure what “out” means here.
    He’s not going to the Wall, that ship’s sailed.
    He cannot stay in Kings Landing. Joining Stannis doesn’t work either (he’d be somewhat compatible with Davos, but he has no reason to join Stannis and Stannis has no reason to accept him).
    That only leaves the “elsewhere” locations, Dorne, Bravos, and that Essos stuff. I also don’t think he will join Dany, she already has way more great advisers than she can handle, and from his side: he isn’t the kind of guy who would drool over another inbred crazy god-complex ladden tyrant, hot girl or no.

57. Mallister
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I always read your recaps Oz and I appreciate them, but I’ve never commented because I am a very sullied man. However, when you wrote the following it made me think..

I find myself growing to dislike her, and maybe that is the intent.

…what if Martin is writing *some* characters starting out bad and becoming more and more likable, you’ve seen at least one character go from very naughty to almost heroic in the TV show, AND he is writing *some* characters to go the other way – from likable to very naughty?
    (I realize “very naughty” is the wrong choice of words, I should probably write “less likeable” or some such, but I do like “very naughty” reminds me of the late great Chris Farley).

Something to ponder for sullied and unsullied alike.

And a question (you’ve probably been asked seventy billion times before but I haven’t seen it):
    On a scale from 1 to 10, how eager are you read the actual novels by now?

Thanks.
    MALLISTER

58. 3eyes
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Salladhor! The Bravos scene was my favorite, aside from Tyrion’s soliloquy, as it was a chance to watch three excellent actors bounce off each other. Then we got some…..Salladhor!
    I’m guessing Yara had to be shown giving up on Theon, but I don’t think the Ironborn are done with their vengance yet.
    That final Triumph of the Will shot of Dany at the end of ep.5 was a good indication of the direction her arc will take. Perhaps the sacrificed children woke the Dragon. The Targeryan madness will probably increase in direct proportion to how out of control her children become. Feeling sorry for the Mereenese.
    As everyone is assuming that Arya is dead, The Hound having a little girl sidekick would not seem noteworthy, but more likely to be expected(?) Is Varys playing his own long game, and will we find out about it by the end of this season, or will we have to wait?
    We never actually saw Shae leave KL, so it’s logical that she would turn up again. How tragic that she participates in this Kangaroo court, probably believing it will save both their lives. She’s not as canny as I initially gave her credit for. However, as much as it irks, one must give respect to Tywin for how masterfully he manipulates his out of control children, and everyone else for that matter. Unfortunate that, like everyone
    else, he continues to under estimate Tyrion. So glad I did not see that coming – it would not have had nearly the same emotional impact. *fist up and pumping* HALF MAN, HALF MAN, HALF MAN! Now I’m even more eagerly anticipating the BIG Smackdown.
    Thanks again, Oh Great and Powerful One. Enjoy the music festival, and be safe there and back home. Roll on ep.7!

59. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

clegane,

Yeah, every time people are cheering on my execution, I only feel sympathy for them.

Tyrion once got upset when he heard people think he is the bad guy and the one who is responsible for all the bad stuff, not allowing Joffrey to be the young glorious king he is supposed to be (the demon monkey scene back then).

60. chris
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Did anyone notice that Tywin sends his most valuable new ally, Lord Mace freakin’ Tyrell, off for office supplies??!!
    …and off the big doofus went, without so much as an offended grimace.
    Lady Olenna clearly wears the brains in that family and she’s gone home to Highgarden.

61. 3eyes
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

PS -Alfie Allen just gets better and better, and he’s still so young! Imagine what he’ll do when he matures. I wouldn’t want to be up against him at an audition.

62. TT
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Lloga: stilbruch

What’s that mean exactly?

63. Sorrow
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Interior Bannisters,

THIS! Perfectly explained. And that’s why I love Dany. There is no black and white.

64. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

Those were exactly my thoughts… what if we are at the beginning stages of seeing her character make the metamorphosis from Poor Little Dany to Mad Queen, and that is the intent? She seemed sympathetic to Hizdahr, yet unsympathetic for what she did. She gave Selmy lip on the mercy and the injustice with justice deal. And there have been many other examples that could be considered dating back to last season.

Farley is not dead… he is in a van, down by the river. Loved that guy.

And, first book… 10+, especially now that the truth about Jon Arryn has been revealed. I’m more than ready, but will painfully wait.

65. Hexonx
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Lloga: About the Dinklage Great Speech:
    It was unnaturally overdone. I don’t think anyone can argue against that.

Lloga: You know, being the one Lannister with a conscience comes with a price, Tyrion is a bit vain, he wants to be loved for all the great things he does for people. He reasoned that this is not gonna happen and he has to do the right things just because, but just like your sock Tywin Lannister child, he seeks approval. He swallowed it all, not being credited for what he did, and being blamed for everything bad. He swallowed it until he couldn’t swallow it anymore. Varys turning against him, Varys, the one man who actually gave Tyrion the acknowledgement he needed so much. And then Shae, after all Tyrion had done.

A bit contradictory don’t you think? You just explained why it was not “overdone.”

66. Of Crows
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

60 comments and people only said they thought Shae was either tortured or that her life was threatened. Consider this: when Tyrion demanded TbC she looked at him shock in her eyes. Judging by how ready a deal Tywin had for Jaime he was planning it all along, and wouldn’t it be only logical Shae was told that’s how it’d turn out. He’d be pardoned if she played her part. She wasn’t afraid for her life. She was quite confident in her speech. She never was afraid for herself before. You could argue it was naivete, that she didn’t know better -and probably didn’t- but if she was proven wrong she’d be less reluctant. At least that’s how I saw it.

As for the amount of episode description, I have to agree. I wasn’t always a fan, and for a long time hardly tolerated the overplayed unsullied shtick. However I did come back for the unsullied view and gradually started to even like the newer stuff. This time though, there was hardly any meat at all. But hey, life is a process and there are highs and lows so we’ll see which way you take your recaps. Well, there’s always the looking forward to which has by definition more of an analytical touch to it, so I’ll keep lurking. You’ve already made it past the worst wave of hate, and you’ve shown to have taken the insults and made them your shield. Now just pick up the scraps and make a pair of scissors to help craft your art!

67. Kkas
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I am sullied but I need to confess I read the books once long time ago and hardly remember them ;) And I just love your recaps, Oz! Keep them as they are, with your opinions and thoughts in – that makes them better.

Your question about Varys reminded me the scene in season 1 in dungeon between Spider and Ned when Varys said that he serves the realm. I think that this look to the empty Iron Throne was something similar – Spider serves the Throne regardless the person who sits on it. Or at least that is the impression he gives to me :)

68. Hexonx
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Of Crows: Judging by how ready a deal Tywin had for Jaime he was planning it all along, and wouldn’t it be only logical Shae was told that’s how it’d turn out. He’d be pardoned if she played her part. She wasn’t afraid for her life. She was quite confident in her speech. She never was afraid for herself before. You could argue it was naivete, that she didn’t know better -and probably didn’t- but if she was proven wrong she’d be less reluctant. At least that’s how I saw it

Excellent observation. That makes a lot of sense.

69. Lloga
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

Well, yes and no.

It was overdone if you think in terms of natural acting. It wasn’t overdone in terms of dramatic presentation.

70. Hexonx
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Lloga:
    Hexonx,

Well, yes and no.

Sorry, that must be over my head, I don’t get the distinction.

71. Zack
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Forgive me if you’ve been asked and answered before, but I have a related question.

Do you read the books -at all-?

I know some ‘unsullied’ who prefer to watch the TV show, and then read the corresponding book. So I wonder if maybe you’ve read the first and second books in the series yet?

edit: oh, excuse me. I misunderstood your reply but you did say you were anxious to read the first book at the end of your comment. Gah. Sorry.

72. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Was anyone else bothered by the logic (or lack thereof) of the bank scene? First we are told what a bunch of obnoxious, double and triple line drawing assholes make up the Iron Bank and that there is no use trying talk to them. We see Stannis being humbled and then magically, Davos “makes a speech” and suddenly the Iron Bank is convinced and throws heaps and heaps of money around. WTF? I thought they were *bankers*.

I suppose real bankers claim to be one way and then change their minds when something perfectly obvious is pointed out to them and suddenly act like money is cheap. Yeah right…uh…wait a minute…hm…never mind.

73. MRR
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Soopa Doop:
    The title of next week could be a bit spoilery…

I think you’re mistaken; the title of next week’s episode is “Mockingbird”.

74. Marty
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

@Oz of Thrones

I know you “can’t” read the books until the shows over. What about the Dunk & Egg stories, are they off limits as well or have you considered checking them out?

75. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Should I take this to mean the Sullied want another prediction post during the off week?

76. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Reynardd the Fox,

The short answer is yet. I understand the time constraints of showing the back room dealings and Stannis signing the paperwork. And as convincing as Davos was, the change of heart did seem abrupt.

However, I do like the emergence of the Bank as a real issue for the Lannisters and not just a problem mentioned in passing.

77. Eric
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

As a Sullied, even I’m not entirely sure why Shae betrays Tyrion either, but I’d wager Cersei gave her the old “carrot-or-stick” option.
    She probably realized the opportunity she had to hurt Tyrion even more than if she had Shae killed. For an arrogant, solipsistic bitch who’s not as clever as she thinks she is, Cersei is very adept at hurting Tyrion.

78. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Oz – I couldn’t with you more regarding the introduction of foreign bankers as a fascinating problem for the Lannisters (and all who aspire to the Iron Throne). Indeed, it also seems highly appropriate to introduce bankers into a drama filled with unattractive, scheming, moral-less climbers (and “arrogant, solipsistic bitches”, my new favorite phrase; hat tip to Eric).

79. kingthlayer
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I like Oz’s recaps but I would rather it be an “Unsullied Reaction”, where we hear more of his analysis on the episode, rather than a scene-by-scene summary which is less interesting.

80. Spyder
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

She may have been manipulated/prepared, yes, but that does not mean she didn’t come to the trial voluntarily. I too believe she CHOSE to testify against Tyrion and, as is done to willing court witnesses all the time, was prepared for her testimony

81. asfastasican
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Pierre:
    Sorry but your reviews get worse and worse.

To be honest I was never a fan of Oz’s reviews up until recently. I like his reviews more now because he is less of a ham and doesn’t try too hard to overdo everything. His tone is more calm and neutral now so I am enjoying them more.

I still miss the old guy some that did these reviews, but that’s just a me problem.

82. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Does nobody else think Shae is attempting to force her lion to flee with her to Essos? If he is found guilty and sent to the wall, he can get “lost” on the way and end up at the house he arranged for her across the narrow sea, like she has been requesting since he got his scar.

83. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

Ludo,

Oz of Thrones,

I’m absolutely with you on this point. Oz, the most entertaining and interesting bits of your recaps are always the parts where you tell us your own opinion, your feelings while watching the episode. It gives us as readers the possibility of seeing how other people feel towards some of the characters and whether you, from an emotional point of view, reacted differently to the events on screen. After all we’ve all watched the episode and basically know what happened – although I must admit that sometimes I only understand the implications of what I just saw after having read your recap.

Anyway you’re absolutely right about Dany’s storyline. It was interesting in season 1 and 2, got more and more repetitive throughout season 3 when she embarked on her free-the-slave-cities-tour, and has hit its absolute low point now in season 4 where we get basically more of the same. Her story needs to be spiced up drastically, she needs to suffer some real setbacks so that the viewers can actually care about her. I don’t know, maybe one of her advisors dying, one of the dragons being seriously hurt or an assassin from King’s Landing trying to kill her. Although with Tywin penning one of his infamous letters in episode 6 to take care of Dany, it seems like something is finally going to happen…

84. Asoiaf-Fan
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Shock Me Sane: This should all be mine because my dad was an inbred lunatic”

And what about : this should be mine because only my family managed to bring peace to the whole land for 300 hundred years. And less than 20 years after their downfall the whole country is already burning.

I’m not saying that she won’t turn crazy or power-hungry but her family has always had half its members crazy and they managed to rule better than anyone else before or after them.

85. sjwenings
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:11 am | Permalink

On Dinklage “overacting”.

I believe that its Tyrion who’s overacting a bit.
    With all the hatred and bitterness pouring out of him, I think he’s savoring every word and does it in a “oh, im not allowed to cuss you out im i? Well guess what i dont give shit, so fuuu%# youuuu!” *boy, that felt good – finally!*

86. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

kingthlayer, asfastasican,

I want to let all of you know that I am reading and taking into consideration your comments and really appreciate the input. The last thing I want to do is give you guys a synopsis of something you just watched, and if that is the direction my recaps seem to be going, then I definitely want to right the ship. A man thanks you.

87. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink

By the way, without getting spoilery, can I get a Sullied to explain roughly how coin in Westeros translates to the American dollar? I’m not going to try to buy a car with a gold dragon today, so I’m not looking for a literal translation. It is for a potential piece that involves money and the Iron bank. Thanks.

88. The Machine
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Ozzette is already daydreaming in her office about the festival this weekend. She’s not going to be worth a crap next week! Thanks again for the incredible weekly posts and ya’ll have a great time.

89. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:
    By the way, without getting spoilery, can I get a Sullied to explain roughly how coin in Westeros translates to the American dollar?I’m not going to try to buy a car with a gold dragon today, so I’m not looking for a literal translation.It is for a potential piece that involves money and the Iron bank.Thanks.

Hey Oz,
    I don’t think anyone has really worked it out; I certainly haven’t seen a direct American Dollar vs Westerosi Gold comparison and I suspect it may be different between the show and the books anyway, but here’s a list of Westerosi coins. I suppose this doesn’t count as a spoiler –

Copper Coins
    Halfpenny and Penny
    Half Groat = 2 pennies
    Groat = 4 pennies
    Star = 8 pennies

Silver Coins
    Stag = 7 stars = 56 pennies
    Moon = 49 stars = 392 pennies

Gold Coins
    Dragon = 30 Moons = 210 Stags = 11,760 pennies

The show seems to have simplified it down to copper pennies, silver stags and gold dragons. Here are some examples that might help from the show only.

The reward put on the Hound’s head this episode was 100 silvers (although 10 silvers would have been acceptable).
    In season one, Ned found out the Crown was 6 million Gold Dragons in debt.
    Littlefinger noted that 100 Gold Dragons could buy a dozen barrels of expensive Dornish wine, or a very high-end prostitute from the Lys.
    Arya finds out a loaf of bread costs 3 copper pennies.
    Brienne’s father offered 300 Gold Dragons to Locke as a ransom for her.

Hope that helps.

90. MUGger
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Here’s a economist’s explanation of the monetary values. If you read only the part entitled “So What’s A Dragon Worth” at the beginning, there are some references to “Dunk & Egg”, but nothing that would count as a “spoiler”.

91. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Troublesome Birdsong,

Incredibly helpful… I am indebted to you. How much does a man owe?

The Machine,

There can only be one Machine, and I know where it is. Welcome back, Good Ser. And many thanks. Ozzette has no tolerance.

92. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones: Incredibly helpful… I am indebted to you.

No problem. Also worth noting – Braavos and Lys are known to each have their own coinage as well and it’s likely the other Free Cities do to. Qarth, Volantis and Meereen all use coins called Gold Honors, but I daresay the Iron Bank of Braavos would be ready to trade in whatever denomination of currency is required.

93. The Pointy End
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

So Oz if you read this, help me get it straight. You can only stay involved in the storylines of the characters you “like”? I for example absolutely hate Cersei and would love to see her die a slow painful death, same goes for Ramsey, but still…

Just trying to figure out the actual reason here. Dislike for the character or some issue with the storyline like other people have expressed, i.e it is too slow or boring or both. I can tell you I liked her less in previous seasons and like her much more now. Dragons have played a part in this, her unsullied as well. Needless to say Barristan Selmy is also a great addition! If you think she doesn’t have the means to be a serious game changer, you haven’t been paying much attention. Reading your posts though, I know you have. So spill more details on why you are hating Dany.

94. gbnf
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Hey Oz, love the recaps in spite of what some haters say.

I disagree with the folks who say Peter overdid in the court scene. It has been an accumulation of frustrationtion over a lifetime of being constantly being sh*t on. Then the one living woman he truly loves comes to testify against him. Instead of twisting the truth like the others she flat out lies. Tyrion risked his life to protect this city & now everyone has lined up to screw him – & not in the enjoyable way. Ever heard the saying “beware of the fury of a patient man” well here it is.

While I admit I am somewhat bored with Dany’s arc, I am not sure she’s gone off the deep end. Remember that she saw 163 murdered & mutilated children. That would put me in a I-don’t-give-a-f*ck-about-waiting-for-all-the-facts rage. She made a mistake, time will tell if she can learn from it.

I feel bad Theon’s sister, I forgot her name. She invaded a castle to rescue her bro. She lost trained men to get there. Does Theon say thanks for getting me out of this hell hole, does he hug her? No, he bites her. That’s just downright rude.

The ride keeps getting better

95. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

The Pointy End,

Hi Pointy! If some read the Dany part and interpreted that I hate her, then I did not do a good job explaining myself (which may have been a common occurrence in this post. Admittedly, I was exhausted). But no excuses.

I am totally involved in her story and still enjoy it, although not as much as other arcs that are ongoing.

I would like to her see story move more to the Westeros side whether she actually sails there in the near future or not. And with the forthcoming letter from Tywin, maybe we will witness it sooner than later.

There are plenty of characters that I dislike, but they all have their place in the story. That doesn’t necessarily take away interest. It’s no secret that Daenarys is considered the face of the show to many (and to the dismay of many). But the point was this: what if the everybody’s golden girl with the great advisors and badass dragons ends up being the most hated character in this story by the time it’s all said and done? To me, the biggest intrigue in her story right now is how she will handle responsibility, keeping the dragons in check, and herself. All of these will factor in to what type of ruler she will be.

Does this clear it up a bit?

96. Thronetender
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Hey Oz, great recap. I read practically all of them on the net because I can’t seem to get enough Game of Thrones when it’s in season. Your page I have in my “favorites” list and I check back regularly. I have no idea who the “other guy” is that’s been mentioned by a couple of your detractors. Makes no difference to me who he was because I’ve found you and read you, so don’t worry about the haters. Just carry on.

That being said, I can’t believe the hate that’s been landing on Shae. For cripes sake, everyone knows that any witness for the Lannisters will be unduly influenced, cajoled, or outright threatened to give the wanted testimony. Didn’t Tywin actually say that the next whore he found with Tyrion would be hanged? So what do you think was said to Shae? Hello pretty lady, would you do us a favor? Hell no. And to the dude who was talking about her materialism, did you forget that she literally threw down a bag of diamonds and turned down houses and servants to be with her little man? Jeez, what the f**k do you guys want? Plus the fact she was tremendously hurt by the way Tyrion used to get her to leave. Yeah, yeah, it was for her own good, but that doesn’t make it hurt any less. It just underlines a sad situation that was never going to work out right no matter what she did, or whom she served.

I am amazed she outright accused Sansa, though. That had to be Cersei’s influence. I can’t believe she’d mess up Sansa’s life so readily without being threatened. Sansa is up the hill without a parachute now.

Loved the dragon scene – loved seeing how big they’ve gotten. I wonder if Cersei would still consider them “baby dragons.” I am semi-Unsullied, I only read through book 3. But someone said somewhere that in the books, the little herder was the one actually eaten. Not a spoiler, just another view of a scene that’s already played.

What the heck is up with Cersei’s thinking anyway? She has absolutely no head for strategies or tactics when a world view is needed, and she was raised around that shit. It should be in her blood, yet she says some of the most mindless things. She’s great at carrying out her own little schemes, thus the farce of the trial, but never, never sees the bigger picture. Tsk Tsk lady. I still begrudgingly admire you for your beauty and tenacity,(and this season’s hairstyles) but considering your position, you should be far worldlier than you are. The answers are not in the bottom of your wine glass, dear. (However, a nod of respect for Lena, the actress, of course. She makes the bitch seem so real.)

Tyrion’s rage was so excellent and excellently expressed. It’s about time. Long overdue, in fact. All Jaime had to do was mention that it was all worked out, and I’m sure Tyrion got the complete picture of Tywin’s craftiness. He’s so right – he’s on trial for being a dwarf. Tywin is just another father who would much rather have a misfit son out of mind and sight at the Wall, just like Sam’s father. Tywin is getting less and less “noble” in my eyes. He’s actually broke and just acting the part, he’s old for Westeros and can’t see any value in Tyrion. Downhill slide, old dude, downhill. You make a good show of it, though.

97. The Pointy End
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Hey, I was not judging, and I get no golden dragons for rooting for Dany. It’s just I’ve seen this a lot, i.e people having issues with her character/storyline/development. I was just wandering what was going on with you, since you are let’s say one of the official non-reader experts on the show. I completely understand your concerns, they’re not unjustified. So many questions to be answered with her! Still, I love the “spacing” created by GRRM and reflected on screen. Tywin in charge of the 7 kingdoms, Mance making a big move from the North and Dany gathering armies and ruling across the narrow sea. A man can speculate and make predictions, but does not have a clue how things will turn out. So let’s wait and see as usual. Thanks for taking the time to reply, hope I am not spoiling anything in any way as this is always a concern when contributing here.

98. kofi
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

all i gotta say is, that was a really really bitchy move by chae to come and testify like that…

99. Reynardd the Fox
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Just watched the episode a second time. It’s even stronger. The choices and the story-telling make more sense. Wonderful acting. As gripping as it was the first time, it’s even more engaging the second. (I even heard the brown pants joke.) Peter Dinklage had better win many, many awards.