Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on Jaime’s feelings toward the Lannisters
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

We’ve watched Jaime Lannister continue to develop over the past few seasons, and in the latest episode we saw him truly question his family’s intentions, as it became apparent that there would be only one possible verdict in Tyrion’s trial. Realizing he may be the only Lannister who wants his brother to come out of this trial with his life, he struck a deal with Tywin, sacrificing his own desires to guarantee mercy for his brother.

In a new interview with Making Game of Thrones, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau talks about Jaime’s reaction to Cersei’s manipulation, Jaime’s relationship with his father, and how his character has changed thanks to his time with Brienne.

Cersei has manipulated every last detail of Tyrion’s trial. What’s Jaime’s reaction?
I don’t think he’s surprised. He’s horrified that she would go to that extent, but Cersei wants Tyrion dead and Jaime knows that. She wants revenge for all the pain she’s endured because of Joffrey’s death and Tyrion has become a symbol of all her hatred.

Why does Jaime decide to make the deal with Tywin?
He sees that Cersei’s clearly winning, and he knows his father well enough to know that Tywin’s willing to sacrifice Tyrion. Jaime doesn’t want to leave the Kingsguard, but he truly loves Tyrion. So if saving Tyrion’s life means giving up his own freedom, of course he’ll do that.

Does Jaime have that same type of love for his father?
No. But he’s been brought up to respect and honor his father. Love is irrelevant with Tywin. It’s all about politics and power. Jaime is more emotional. He doesn’t care about all that; he just wants to do the right thing in his world. I think that meeting Brienne has made him reconnect to that core of himself.

His journey with Brienne definitely changed him.
Yeah. You could actually see that in the scene with Charles. With Tyrion, although Jaime is different, their relationship at its core is the same. Of course things have changed with Cersei.

Jaime’s whole life has been planned out so he could be close to Cersei. Now he’s coming to the realization that the love he thought they had didn’t exist. That doesn’t mean he can just shut out his own feelings – because he can’t. But Jaime is becoming the man that he’s meant to be. It’s a constant struggle for him, but he’s trying to learn who he is. He knows that he cannot continue to live his life on Cersei’s terms or his father’s terms.

For more from Nikolaj on Jaime and Brienne’s relationship, what it’s like being back in King’s Landing, and how he’s handling his new hand, be sure to visit Making Game of Thrones!

1. Nathaniel
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Cool beans.

2. Johnny Camp
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

HODOR!

3. jentario
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Synopsyses for the last three episodes are up. Quite surprising!
    Spoilers, of course
    Sansa’s storyline seems to be taken till the end of AFFC… lol

4. jentario
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Nothing about the new summaries?

5. Arya Stark
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

6. House Mormont
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I have no idea what they’ll do with Jaime next season… his book material is mostly cuttable

keep him around for Tywin’s funeral, have him tell Cersei to uproot the Tyrells and have him uprooted
    Skip his journey, go to Riverrun for like what, two episodes?
    Then speed it up and skip to Brienne taking him to LS like episode 7?
    -unknown territory-

7. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Arya Stark,

???? I guess opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

8. Palpie
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Synopsyses for the last three episodes are up. Quite surprising!
    Spoilers, of course
    Sansa’s storyline seems to be taken till the end of AFFC… lol

Nothing there hints that Sansa’s affc storyline will be covered in one episode. at most they’ll have the lords declarant show up to setup that conflict for next year.

9. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

You stole my line! Jamie IS the victim in that relationship. He has been manipulated by her their whole lives. He’s just now figuring it out!

10. Tatters
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Arya Stark,

Nikolaj being a bad actor?
    I hope this isnt a new feminist thing for what happened at that sept.
    Blame everyone else, not the actors.

11. ANiceChianti
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:25 am | Permalink

I blame the haircut.

12. Harry
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Arya Stark: lol Jaime has been annoying as fuck all season long. I’ve really started to hate him and it doesn’t help that Nikolaj’s acting has been bad this season. As awful as Cersei is, she’s been much more interesting than Jaime this season. and I hate Nikolaj for painting Jaime as the victim in the Jaime/Cersei relationship.

Annoying? Hate him? BAD ACTING? How is he a victim and for what…. just because Cersei does not want him anymore?

Sooo many reasons to hate him now, huh? Sorry, but you are clearly just still angry about that stupid Jamie/Cersei rapegate, nothing else.

13. Slizabeth
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Everybody has their own tastes and opinions…..but I’ve never before heard anybody whinge that NCW is a bad actor. wow. must be “rapegate hate”….or something.I think personally that he’s an awesome actor and character (both book and series), and one hot lookin dude for his age.

14. KG
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:26 am | Permalink

The haircut IS tragic. I hate it with the heat of ten thousand suns.

But you know what? He’s still damn sexy. Just not AS damn sexy.

ANiceChianti:
    I blame the haircut.

15. SM4e
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Tatters,

Some people just want to create a discussion about things that don’t need to be discussed because everybody knows that NCW is one of the best actors, if not the best actor, in GoT.

16. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:23 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

I think Brienne taking Jaime to LS i the cliffhanger i season 5. But i don’t think they skip his journey. I think they make it bigger with some action. I hope he don’t die in book six, GRRM can do more with him.

17. queenofthorns
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Harry: As Tatters put it above: blame the writers for that (admittedly bad adapted) scene, but not the character or actor.

I don’t understand how people are still saying it wasn’t meant to be (grey) rape when the show runners said it was in the behind the episode (“he knows she doesn’t want this but he doesn’t care” is the quote, IIRC)?

It’s possible to still like Jaime as a character even though he’s capable of something like that (ignoring Cersei’s lack of consent, both in the book and show).

Arya Stark: I hate Nikolaj for painting Jaime as the victim in the Jaime/Cersei relationship.

Does it really not occur to you that it’s possible (indeed I dare say extremely common) for a person to be both a victim and a victimizer? That’s what that scene in the sept was about. Cersei is trying to use him like she always does. He snaps and does something completely awful. It doesn’t make it OK but that’s where the character is coming from.

Like a lot of sexual assault it was about asserting power when the aggressor feels powerless. See also: Tyrion in the courtroom and basically the rest of his story yet written…

I agree with you that Cersei has been SUPER interesting this season though, the amount of alternation between sympathy and burning hatred is close to how I felt about Servilla in Rome (a similar character in many ways). I love what the writers are doing with her!

18. Harry
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

queenofthorns,

The showrunners said it was not meant to be rape. Check the interviews.

But the point was: why to blame Nikolaj as the actor?

I mean one can be a feminist, but at least be a reasonable feminist.

19. queenofthorns
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Harry:
    queenofthorns,

The showrunners said it was not meant to be rape. Check the interviews.

You’re wrong:

Benioff at around 1:45: “It becomes this kind of horrifying scene. Because you see Joffery’s body’s right there, You see that Cersei is resisting this, She’s saying no and he’s forcing himself on her.”

You can’t get any more clear than that.

I agree with you – don’t blame the actor, he’s awesome. It’s completely OK for him to talk about this characters motivations. That’s what acting is about, you have to understand where your character is coming from even if he does terrible things.

20. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

thats one interview. I know I heard multiple interviews that state contradicting viewpoints. Some of the creators say in wasnt rape some say it was. So if that is the case not even the show runners know what they wrote.
    I’ve tried to look at this from the point of view that it wasnt rape. just because thats what I think it was suppose to come of as.obviously it looked like rape. And if you rewatch that scene I can see how you can look at it differently.
    in my head I see jamie as more of a victim of there relationship. Cersie has been victimized her whole life, she has also victimized A LOT of people her hole life. so yes like you said. They can both be victims/victimizers.
    This is something ive been thinking of. Why didnt Jamie step in as Tyrions champion? I think he would assume that Tywin/Cersie wouldnt do anything to put him in harms way so they would devise some plan on making the Combat not take place, probably send tyrion to the wall or Essos. Can he not do it being part of the kingsguard?

21. queenofthorns
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre: I’ve tried to look at this from the point of view that it wasnt rape.

I read a ton of interviews on this topic. I know the ones your’e talkign about, but when I read them I never felt like anyone said directly “this was not meant to be rape”. There was a some discussion about “it becomes consensual,” “it starts off one way, but changes as things progress” etc. NCW said some things about how he feels powerless/emasculated by Cersei’s demand that he kill Tyrion and this is him trying to hold on to this poisonous relationship.

The main thing is this – whatever way you look at it, in the book or the show, she said no and he, ignoring that, kept going.

I think this should make any thoughtful person ask the question: if Cersei hadn’t eventually relented (in the books it appears that she did, in the show it’s not as obvious), would Jaime have stopped? I tend to think the answer is no. Yet, I still like Jaime. I don’t think that means I’m apologizing for a rapist, I just think it means that sometimes people do shitty things to each other and other times they do good things for each other.

22. SillyMammo
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Annnd we’re back discussing “was it rape or wasn’t it?!”. Awesome!

23. A Golden Haired Baratheon
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

24. queenofthorns
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

SillyMammo,

So what? It’s an interesting topic and I think completely appropriate for this post. And I don’t honestly care what word people want to use. The question isn’t really about defining rape, but instead asking what is this scene about, and what does it mean for Jaime’s character (which is the topic of the post…).

A Golden Haired Baratheon: Thanks for putting this into words – I’ve been thinking along the same lines, but could not articulate it as well as you just did

You’re welcome!