Sibel Kekilli on Shae’s reasons for taking the stand
By Ours is the Fury on in Interview.

Shae

In this week’s episode of Game of Thrones, things went from bad to worse for Tyrion Lannister as people with grudges lined up to testify against him as he sat in chains, on trial for his life. No witness hit harder or shocked audiences more than Shae, his ex-lover (played Sibel Kekilli) whom he shipped off several episodes ago.

In a new interview, Kekilli shares her take on Shae’s damning actions and motivations in “The Laws of Gods and Men.”

“It was not easy at all for Shae to be there,” Kekilli tells The Daily Beast. “She is hurt, she is angry, sad, and desperate. She never wanted to be in that kind of situation but Tyrion forced her somehow. He always had the opportunity to go away with her to a safe place and live quietly and peacefully. Yet he has never taken it.”

When asked why Shae agrees to testify, the actress replies, “Did she have a choice? The Lannisters found her and there was only a choice between agreeing to testify against Tyrion or die. And of course she was badly hurt and wanted revenge on him. She is a proud woman, she has always been fully loyal to Tyrion, and instead of maintaining her relationship he decided to go for power—and against love.”

For more of the actress’s insight into Tyrion and Shae’s relationship, her view on why Shae refused Varys’s offer last season and Shae’s conflicted feelings about Sansa, and Sibel’s advocating work for women’s rights, visit The Daily Beast to read the full article.

1. King of the Ashes
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

A thousand lying Hodors

2. Valaquen
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I was under the impression that Tywin promised her that if she testified then Tyrion would be sent to the Wall rather than being executed. I don’t know… that wouldn’t explain why she ends up in Tywin’s bed in episode 10, but I only have the far shallower Book Shae as a point of reference for that.

3. Rygar
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

“I was his horse”

4. Amanda M
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I find it frustrating that the show is almost trying to make it seem like Tyrion brought this on himself, by sending Shae away for her own protection. It has such a different vibe from the book, where Shae was just a selfish, money-grubbing *#%$@.

5. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Amanda M,

I feel like maybe it’s going to feel more Shakespearean, like the whole thing is a tragedy based in misunderstandings. Shae not knowing what his real motives were, Tyrion deceiving her with saving lives in mind, but in the end, everyone’s worst sides come out, ending with more death.

6. Annara Snow
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Amanda M:

We’ve known about Shae!Shae being a completely different character from Book!Shae for a long time, why is this surprising now? Of course she must have a different motivation than the character from the book.

7. Annara Snow
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Valaquen:

It would also make Tywin look almost like a good guy. And he is not.

8. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Both in the books and the show I presumed Shae didn’t have a choice besides testifying. Who’s going to tell Tywin or Cersei “no?”

9. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

I don’t know about that. Manipulating a woman into testifying against the man she loves, humiliating him in the process, in exchange for saving the life of his son, which a “good guy” would want to do anyway? It woukd be consistent with Tywin making the deal with Jaime from a character perspective, willing to send Tyrion to the Wall as long as he gets something important in return, in this case ensuring a guilty verdict for Tyrion.

10. TOIVA
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Not being a Sullied, I’ll just say that it’s clear (to me anyway) that she’s afraid of even being in the throne room by her looks and posture.

She starts reciting what she’s been told to say and only as she gets to their relationship, she remembers what she felt Tyrion did to her and her anger takes over.

So her ‘testimony’ seems entirely understandable to me and well in character for Shae (the show one, anyway, can’t say about the book one). She’s always seem deeply emotional about Tyrion.

11. Ryan
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I’m fine with her turning on Tyrion based on what we’ve seen in the show, but my big issue is her also throwing Sansa under the bus. So much for “I love that girl, I would kill for her,” huh?

12. Grynthaline
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I agree with her point there. At the end of Season 2, Shae offered Tyrion to leave to Pentos and live there for the rest of their lives, away from his family who just tried to murder him and took away his room, his position from him, without any thanks. What was his reply? Oh yes, “I like this. I was made for this. I’m good at playing this game.” Yeah you are, with your constant japes and casual threats that came back to bite you in the ass later.

What did Shae do? Instead of leaving him with his misery, she reminded him of his commitment to her, reciting his words, “You have a shit memory. I am yours, and you are mine.”

13. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Ryan,

Yeah, you can see in her interviews, Sibel had a hard time with that as well. She argued against Shae throwing Sansa into the accusation.

14. The Ghost of Karl Tanner
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

If Tyrion would give me seven silvers I’ll make sure this gold diggin c’nt never sees another sunrise.

True story mate. I’m a Legend

15. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I just want to know how she will wind up in Tywin’s bed? It seemed clear from one of the trailers that she will. I wonder if we will see a scene explaining the situation or if it will just come out of nowhere, like it did in the books?

16. trarecar
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Grynthaline,

To be fair, he IS on trial for murdering the king, not for being a bad boyfriend. The stakes are a teensy bit higher.

That being said, I’ve always thought they’d done a good job showing that Shae can be unreasonably jealous and have a quick temper. I felt they were laying the groundwork for the Sullied and keeping the Unsullied off balance.

Ultimately, whether she knew about the plan of sending her lion off to the wall won’t make a difference. I can’t wait to see how they handle things.

17. ATG
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

The Ghost of Karl Tanner:

True story mate. I’m a Legend

Haha that had me laughing, Karl ftw.

18. Biscotti Knight
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    “I was his horse”

Well, he rode her on many occasions.

19. BlackBloc
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I have an inkling that Show!Shae is being propted up to have been working for Varys all along and the Griff and/or Martell/Targaryan Secret Marriage Conspiracy. What that says about Book!Shae, I am not sure. But the casual choice of Pentos as her escape plan in Season 2, Varys having been in contact with Shae from the start trying to use her as leverage against Tyrion until they “became pals” (yeah right), then Varys trying to get her to flee to Essos behind Tyrion’s back, where she could possibly have been in the clutch of Ilyrio… And we don’t know how long she might have been one of Varys’ little birds. Maybe she and even Bronn have been in Varys employ all along.

20. Ilia Stark
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

SKIP THIS COMMENT IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS.

I just hope Tyrion finds her in Tywin´s bed and strangles her like in the books.Too bad they did not introduce “hand necklace” it would have been epic to the end then.
    But IF D&D choose to leave her out of Tywin’s murder i will be really pissed.
    She needs to be a part of Tyrion’s vengeance.As well as the audience needs to hear the lies she told Tyrion before he kills her.I really hope writers don’t screw this.

P.S.Although i am sure Charles Dance and Peter interaction will send shivers down everyone’s spine in any case .The hatred between them is unbelievably palpable.Last season scene where Tyrion confronts Tywin for Casterly Rock and gets humiliated made me cry.

21. Amanda M
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Not surprising, just irritating haha. I appreciate having Show!Shae truly love Tyrion, but the long-term implications I don’t like as much haha

22. Sean C.
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Ilia Stark:
    The Ghost of Karl Tanner,

C’nt yourself.Skip the spoiler,no one makes you read on.

You’re aware that there’s a spoiler tags button you can use, right?

23. The Ghost of Karl Tanner
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Ilia Stark:
    The Ghost of Karl Tanner,

C’nt yourself.Skip the spoiler,no one makes you read on.

If I could do that I’d never leave me house, cept for seven silvers or more. You know what I’d do for seven silvers?

Ask around Gin Alley. I’m a Fookin legend

24. The Ghost of Karl Tanner
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Sean C.: You’re aware that there’s a spoiler tags button you can use, right?

What do you think I was telling her about mate?

25. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

The Ghost of Karl Tanner,

I don’t care what character you’re playing for fun, drop the name-calling. It’s against the rules here.

26. Lizander
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that we got this, I was getting tired of seeing my friends blindly hating on Shae when the show made it rather clear that she had no choice and didn’t want to do that (or at the very least she was conflicted since she did throw that “I’m a whore, remember?” line).

27. MX
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

I like show Shae a lot, precisely because of the complex mix of emotions which she lives out and projects (initial cynicism and opportunism, subsequent tenderness toward Sansa, determination to survive, surprising passion for Tyrion and naive optimism that they could be happy together, petty emotional games with him, then sadness, anger, fear…). Contradictions upon contradictions, very nicely done.

People who criticize that the idea that a prostitute could fall in love and be jealous have no idea what real life is like — of course it is completely plausible that Shae would envision Tyrion as a path to better life, as they are both “flawed” and that she would viciously turn on him for betraying that dream, as well as still try to protect him.

In some way this pattern echoes Sibel’s persona in Gegen die Wand (Head-On), a major hit in Europe in which she was discovered as a serious actress. The director of that one is an opportunistic, lazy degenerate, and the script is weak, but Sibel plays the part with genuine passion. Shae is a continuation of that, with similar conflicts of the same woman with elements of a ruthless whore and a girlish saint.

So, yeah, just like a lot of other people here, I’d like to see Shae’s path happen as in the books, and I’d like to see the Tysha narrative resume. But I also like Sibel, she makes sense to me personally because of her cultural background (a Mediterranean person for once!) and I wish she would stay on.

28. MX
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

*conflicts within the same woman

29. Ilia Stark
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Well,the UI of the site leaves much to be desired.Where is the bloody button?Of course i would have used it had it been visible.

30. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I was kind of hoping that her motivation had more to do with making a deal with Tywin, or being coerced somehow, rather than a “woman scorned” intent. The interview suggests that it’s kind of a combination of both, that the Lannisters threatened her, and that Tyrion wasn’t worth dying for anymore.

I’m still trying to make sense of it though. I don’t think the Shae I’ve been watching would volunteer such explicit details of her relationship with Tyrion. Furthermore, do Cersei and/or Tywin need much more than “I was Tyrion’s whore, and I knew that he was planning on murdering Joffrey?” Maybe Cersei wanted Tyrion to be as embarrassed as possible at his trial?

I dunno, I kind of hope that she agreed to testify in a deal similar to the one Jaime and Tywin made, agreeing to testify to all those details but in exchange for assurance that Tyrion wouldn’t die. I get why she’s upset, Tyrion f–ked up by deciding to keep playing the game instead of escaping to Pentos with her, but I don’t see that as being a decent justification for ensuring his death…

31. MX
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I’m fairly certain it’s a deal with Tywin, and that Cersei is just a false flag.

Again, Shae’s reasoning makes perfect sense if you are in her shoes — humiliate Tyrion to the max for rejecting her, but making sure that he survives and even sacrificing herself to that end. At least that’s what’s implied by the testimony, the monotonous delivery with a surreal moment of private bitterness toward Tyrion “I’m a whore, remember?” — a world of pain in that sentence, especially since now she has to return to being a whore.

BTW, Kekilli’s acting with her eyes was excellent, as was NCW’s shock at Tyrion’s recklessness. Dormer was good too with her physical reaction. The only thing that really irritates me with Kekilli is her nose job…oh well, working class insecurities…

32. Hexonx
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Ilia Stark: Too bad they did not introduce “hand necklace” it would have been epic to the end then.
    But IF D&D choose to leave her out of Tywin’s murder i will be really pissed.

Tyrion gave her a golden chain necklace last season and the previews do appear to show Shae in Tywin’s bed so it appears that it will happen in the show.

33. Keith W Wilson
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

The article is an interesting read, but since we’ve had the she said, it seems necessary to have the he said. First, I’d like to go on the record as saying that Sibel has played the part wonderfully. I’ve no intention of giving her grief but as for Shae…

I think we can all agree that by and large the Lannisters are a soulless bunch of evil jerks. Tyrion (and recently Jamie) are the only ones bearing the Lannister name that have any redeeming qualities on the whole. Well, alright I think Cersi very much cares for her children, but after that it’s all about Cersi with her. Jamie started off a massive tool but he’s learned to overcome that, and I don’t think that was by and large his fault, I mean he killed the last Targaryen king because he knew the man was a monster and was a threat to everyone. He did the heroic thing, and rather than a thank you, he gets ‘Kingslayer’. WTF?

Tyrion also knows his family is toxic. He loves his brother as his brother is the only one who doesn’t look down on him in the figurative sense. I think in his own way he loves Cersi too, but he surely doesn’t trust her (smart of him.) His father holds him a grudge because of his being born a dwarf and that his mother gave her life for his. He’s really never had any kind of a worthwhile role model and thus it’s impacted how he acts with those around him. To his view, he had to protect Shae when everything started to fall apart. He knew that so long as he showed her any kind of affection she’d stay with him and that wasn’t safe for her. So he had to play the bastard card.

It was pretty clear that Tyrion’s heart truly wasn’t in it, the body language and the clipped tone were certainly indicators of that, he hardly ever made eye contact with her at all. He realized that in order to save her, he had to hurt her (and in doing so, hurt himself.) Now, yes, he should have left the decision to her but then he knew what the outcome would be and that outcome was more than he could bear, contrary to his displayed behavior, he really cares about Shae and the thought of what his family would do to her if they got their claws in her was horrific to him. All he could see was the horrors they’d inflict on her before they finally killed her.

She mentioned that Shae is a “proud woman” which to a point is well and fine, pride can in moderation be a very constructive thing. On the other hand too much can be incredibly destructive. I suppose if Shae were a more educated woman she’d have realized that what Tyrion did, whether or not it was necessarily the right thing to do, was done with the right intentions and out of love of and for her and not the way he ‘played’ it.

In my opinion, what she did to him was just sadistic, though such is unsurprising considering some of the other things we’ve seen on the show. Now someone needs to get to Walter Frey, he needs to learn the truth of Valar morghulis.

Kudos to both Sibel and Peter who play their parts so perfectly… and to George R.R. Martin for such wonderfully complex characters, they’re a joy to watch and read about even in the messed up circumstances Mr. Martin chooses to place them in.

34. Jackol
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

To me it all comes down to what they do with the Tywin/Shae murder scene.

Reformulating Shae/Tyrion as a romantic tragedy is all well and good, but if the final outcome doesn’t make sense then it will all have been a massive mistake in my opinion.

And at the moment I’m not seeing why Shae ending up in Twyin’s bed makes a scintilla of sense.

If they turn Shae’s death (or not dying!) into part of the ‘clean up’ on the part of Tywin or Cersei and reduce Tyrion’s role down to simply shooting Tywin it might make plot sense, but it will shift all the emotional weight of the actions Tyrion takes from a general emotional destruction to a specific ‘daddy issue’. It’s not the entire world that has deserted Tyrion a la the books, it would be all about his father ruining his life. I’m sure Dinklage and Dance can act the hell out of whatever they are given, but still I would not be happy with such major motivational shifts.

35. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Keith W Wilson: So yes, perhaps he did the wrong thing, but it was for the right reasons. At such times of high stress and panic, most of us do things we don’t want to do but feel we have to in the interest of saving and protecting those we care about. We try to insulate them from the coming storm, whether this is the right instinct or the wrong is largely in that moment immaterial. In the end, there are no perfect people, only perfect intentions.

You make a few interesting points, but I will rebut to some extent.

–Intentions are wonderful, and doing things for the “right reasons” are fine, and withholding information in certain circumstances can be justified, say, when the person you’re trying to protect is a child, who cannot make the decision that you can. But this wasn’t a child, or even only a modestly interested party who was not an equal in the situation – this was Tyrion’s long-time lover, who was his as he was hers, and in that circumstance she needed to be treated as an adult, however roughly. Tyrion told Varys he’d tried to reason with her, but what she says to him in “Two Swords” suggests he did not, not enough. Even if it came down to, “I’m sending you away, and it’s the only way, and I’m sorry,” that’s more of an explanation than to stomp on her heart as he did.

As she told him, “I am your whore, and when you are tired of fucking me, I will be nothing.” And he said it: “You’re a whore,” and therefore unfit to bear his children – even though he had spent a lifetime of enjoying the company of whores. For those who don’t think we’ve seen the “greying” of Tyrion enough, there was a hell of a lot of it in that moment. Robb Stark did things with the best intentions too, and look what it got him.

So Shae lied, and lied, and lied. After she’d grown to believe she could – after what was likely a year-plus with this man – that he felt differently. And so while I don’t like the whole “woman scorned” argument because it genderizes things in a way that isn’t necessary, I do see why she’d be hateful and upset. And as much as many can complain that some character motivations aren’t always put together well (Qhorin Halfhand wanted Jon to kill him why…?), D&D have done a nice job in showing Shae as a naturally resentful person who could turn bitter quickly. So those motivations are quite clear, and I reject the notion that she would have done differently if she was more “educated,” as that’s putting the onus on Shae to excuse another person’s emotionally wounding actions as “for your own good.” Doesn’t she deserve more than that? Is Tyrion heroic in his action then? Pragmatic, maybe. But he could have left, too. And lived a peaceful life. He didn’t.

How she ends up in Tywin’s bed is another matter. I can’t say I understand how they make that work, but we’ll just have to see!

36. zod
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Grynthaline: Why is it acceptable that when the man chooses to stay and choose other things instead of his love it is accepted (because Tyrion is the main character and we need him making quips and owning people, right) but when Shae isn’t being completely loyal to him, and understandably feels angry and resentful of his treatment of her we put all the blame on her? Something doesn’t feel right here.

Wow.

So you really don’t see the difference between Tyrion refusing her stupid plan to leave for a foreign country without any money or future perspectives, and Shae outright betraying him (in a trial where his life is very much at stake) and ridiculing him in front of everybody?

Misandry much?

37. Leo
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

zod,

You don’t see the difference, either. Tyrion’s refusal was in a circumstance where they were safe from Stannis, they were happy in their relationship. Shae’s betrayal is in a circumstance where Tywin and Cersei are threatening her and their relationship is at the point where Tyrion has hurt her deeply.

…hey, I know. How about. It’s both Tyrion’s and Shae’s faults and neither of them could have known outside forces (like LF and Olenna, or Sansa disappearing..or anything really) would have paved the way for both of them to be in their respective predicaments that they are in now.

38. zod
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Leo: You don’t see the difference, either. Tyrion’s refusal was in a circumstance where they were safe from Stannis, they were happy in their relationship.

And? How does that make Shae’s proposition any less stupid? Please explain.

Leo: Shae’s betrayal is in a circumstance where Tywin and Cersei are threatening her and their relationship is at the point where Tyrion has hurt her deeply.

When she tells him “I’m a whore, remember?” it’s pretty clear that she’s there for revenge.

Imagine the reverse situation : a man seeking revenge on a girl who just dumped him by telling lies that would put her life in danger. I can already hear the feminists’ reactions : “You don’t owe her ! If she decides that the relationship is over, then it’s over !!”

The double standards are kinda sickening.

39. Noob Takes the Black
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Ilia Stark,

I have to say Charles Dance’s performance in that scene — where his voice breaks just every so briefly when he says that he *didn’t* kill Tyrion as an infant — is really one of my favorite bits of acting, not only in the episode, or in the show… but in all of television history. It was perfection.

40. Bean
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 12:25 am | Permalink

The Shae character in the show is such a let-down. Really unfortunate tacked on motivations. i can understand why they had to make her a sympathetic character in the TV show, but to then claim she’s so stupidly jealous over a transparent attempt to protect her from danger… well it’s made for tv garbage.

But no offense to the actor, who portrays it as well as can be done.

41. Winter Rose
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Bean:
    The Shae character in the show is such a let-down.Really unfortunate tacked on motivations.i can understand why they had to make her a sympathetic character in the TV show, but to then claim she’s so stupidly jealous over a transparent attempt to protect her from danger… well it’s made for tv garbage.

But no offense to the actor, who portrays it as well as can be done.

Totally agree. It makes zero sense for show!Shae to testify against Tyrion (and let alone against Sansa!) EXCEPT if she was blackmailed by Tywin or Cersei. Tyrion made it clear that he loved her and wanted to protect her for two whole seasons. That level of stupidity and jealousy is just not believable. At this point it even makes more sense if Tyrion doesn’t kill her at all, but who knows what the implications of that would be in the long term.

And I love Sibel too, since she starred in that Turkish/German movie Gegen Die Wand (Head-on it is called in English I think).

42. Tatters
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Bean,

Shae never striked me as intelligent, and it makes sense since for the first time taken to court he wants her gone. That must hurt, because she thought she was special. She is shallow.

43. Tatters
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Winter Rose,

I remember an interview where Peter says there isnt any strong feelings between them. It was an inside the episode for season 3 and its been apparent for a while now.
    I seriously doubt there has been really strong feelings, its just different for both characters.
    Its more complicated than book fans wish to see

44. Tatters
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Jackol,

It is implied that Tywin takes care of that in episode 2, not the othe way.

45. Winter Rose
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Grynthaline:

It is totally understandable that she’s angry and frustrated, but the guy will lose his head if found guilty. Being angry is fine, but contributing for his execution? And accusing Sansa along with it, the girl she said she loved? It’s too much.

I don’t think we’re “putting the blame” on her, but rather pointing out how her character’s motivations don’t really work. The only fault is with the writers here.

46. Charles M
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Ryan:

She’s in a vindictive mood. I don’t have a problem with it. Regardless of what her character said about loving Sansa.

47. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

I think it is strange that people find it so hard to believe that Shae would be feeling so utterly betrayed by Tyrion. He could have chosen to go with her to Pentos or wherever he was sending her. But instead he chose to stay in King’s Landing, and break up with her. Anyone in her position would be extremely upset if they were in love. The guy chose people that he hates over her.

You can sugarcoat it all you want. “He was sending her away for her own protection.” He was choosing not to go with her. He chose to break up with her. A break up with a nice severance package, but a break up no matter how you look at it. If you don’t think that people do crazy things when they’ve been dumped, I don’t know or recognize the planet you come from.

People seem very quick to gloss over the fact that Tyrion had a choice to go with her to the free cities and leave the whole “being a Lannister” thing behind. When he chose not to, he told her that for whatever his words were, his actions indicated that he really wasn’t in love with her enough to want to keep her.

For someone to say she should have died rather than testify against him is unfathomable to me. If I were in her exact position and my life was threatened if I didn’t testify against the man who had just dumped me despite all his proclamations of love, you bet I would have testified. And maybe even with a little relish, because misery loves company.

48. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

I think everyone is forgetting a major ingredient to the testimony: Cersei. Shae would not have been called if Cersei hadn’t ensured exactly what was said. The decisions Shae made were 1) to testify instead of being killed or worse, and 2) to use actual conversations that they had to describe their relationship in the Court. The only thing that wasn’t true in her testimony was that Tyrion and Sansa plotted to kill Joffrey, which of course Cersei insisted on.

Anyone who thinks this is PURELY a vindictive way of getting back at Tyrion needs to watch that scene again, and take note of how uncomfortable she is during the entirety of her testimony. The only vibe of “woman scorned” is when Tyrion, who she perhaps hates at this point, tries to get her to stop, and she reminds him of her pain.

I really think that the break-up just made it easier for Shae to choose life over death when threatened by Cersei, and we certainly can’t assume much more than that before we get more information from the show.

49. Phil
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I like Sibel Kekilli so it will be sad for me to see her go. I was hoping during the trial Cersei would give that “bitch smirk” to Tyrion when Shae walked in but alas no.

50. queenofthorns
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

The rest of this arc is going to be so freaking heartbreaking… I’m so glad they did it this way. So, yes, while Shae did betray Tyrion, I’m pretty sure they are going to make it clear that Cersei insisted that she implicate both Sansa and Tyrion or be killed. I actually like that Shae is coming at it from a place where she’s feeling a bit heartbroken – it makes it plausible that Tyrion would believe she betrayed him without coersion. In the end, it’s a shakespearean tragedy – if only one thing hadn’t gone as it did, things would have been OK…

zod: The most terrifying part is that the so-called feminists on this website don’t seem to find any problem in a woman who decides to throw false rape accusations at an innocent man : “so what? he dumped her, after all”.

where on earth did this come from ????

51. MX
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Shock Me Sane,

Spot on!

I also don’t get what people don’t understand about this. It’s just like the other discussion, that Shae couldn’t possibly be in love with Tyrion because she was a prostitute. Come on, people!

52. Asoiaf-Fan
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I’ve never understood what Tyrion found in show Shae.
    Her book counterpart was already a little dim for Tyrion but at least she was docile and easy-going (that was her job and that’s nearly all that mattered for book Shae because she was only doing her job).
    But show Shae is just plain stupid, aggressive and illogical. How can someone as intellectual and thoughtful as Tyrion can stand an hysterical suicidal maniac ?
    A lot of their scenes look like the discussion between Tyrion and Joffrey during the wedding : Joffrey doesn’t get any of Tyrion’s ironies (“it wasn’t meant to be an honor”, “it didn’t spill”).
    The 2 characters don’t even speak the same language, how could Tyrion ever be attracted to her?
    They don’t share anything other than sex, why would Tyrion be so hurt by someone he likes only in the physical sense ?
    I get that Tyrion took her inability to consider herself in danger (because she lacks the thinking skills) as fearlessness and found it attractive, but how long should that take for him to understand that she is just not bright enough to think about anything else than fu**ing ?

All things considered, i like the dull blank-slated book shae more than the nonsense they created for the show.
    I don’t really care for any incarnation of Shae so it wouldn’t be so much a problem if the fact that show Tyrion loves her wasn’t diminishing his own character in the show.

53. anuhealani
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen:

Yep. I don’t get why so many are missing this. Her eyes are darting around or fixed on the floor. Her voice is a completely flat monotone, which makes the words sound scripted. She doesn’t show any emotion at all, other than apprehension, until Tyrion’s response makes it clear to her that in doing this she can also hurt him the way he hurt her.

54. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen,

These are good points. She’d been dumped unceremoniously by the man she loved and led away by his hired killer. So if Cersei gives her a choice, she takes it. And Sibel played the “uncomfortable” part very well.

55. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

queenofthorns:
    The rest of this arc is going to be so freaking heartbreaking… I’m so glad they did it this way.So, yes, while Shae did betray Tyrion, I’m pretty sure they are going to make it clear that Cersei insisted that she implicate both Sansa and Tyrion or be killed.I actually like that Shae is coming at it from a place where she’s feeling a bit heartbroken – it makes it plausible that Tyrion would believe she betrayed him without coersion.In the end, it’s a shakespearean tragedy – if only one thing hadn’t gone as it did, things would have been OK…

I wonder if in some sense that when it happens, it will come across as if Shae is already ‘dead inside.’

56. MX
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Asoiaf-Fan,

Regardless of the dislike or like for Shae, there are a couple of reasons why such a girl would be attractive to Tyrion.

-He is not seen as desirable by noble families, nor did his father particularly care if he married a noblewoman before the Sansa idea

-He likes that he can be himself with prostitutes, rather than pretend

-His first wife was a simple girl who seemed heartfelt and enthusiastic, so he is looking for those qualities rather than courtly scheming which he would get from a noblewoman. It is implied that Shae reminds him of Tysha.

-A lot of intellectuals really idealize manual labor and physical skill. As a professional historian, I write about warriors, most of whom I would despise if I met them. A strong and healthy body, plus a directness in manner, form a strong contrast to Tyrion’s usual life of innuendos, so it’s understandable why he would go for Shae

-The sex does seem to be good, don’t underestimate this

-Finally, it’s not as if there are many women in Martin’s world who read books (one in every generation in the entire Westeros, it seems). If Tyrion wanted a woman who was as intelligent as he is, he might not be able to find anyone, and even so, he might not like their taste (black magic, for instance).

Enough said.

57. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Asoiaf-Fan,

My interpretation of Tyrion in just about all his relationships is that he’s projecting, imagining people like Shae to be someone they are not in order to trick himself into thinking he’s finally found some affection. I think the same is true of Sansa, who in the book he admits he”wants,” though I don’t think he ever had those feelings until their engagement. So his attraction and “love” I don’t think come from a genuine place in the books. There’s also some major Freudian shit you can throw into the analysis.

58. Rubby
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:41 am | Permalink

If you are continually stuck, a guide like this one here may be able to help you.
    It’s better than throwing money at the game.
    candy crush it level 13

59. loco73
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Sibel is right in the interview about her vision and , and while show Shae is different in some aspects from book Shae, within the framework of the show itself, her showing up at the trial makes sense. Besides her choices were limited to testify or die!

Had she left when Varys first told her, and gave her all those gemstones, she could have been farway from Westeros, well removed from King’s Landing and established in a well-off and comfortable life, yet she relied too heavily on Tyrion’s love and support which for understandable reasons she might have taken for granted.

So now the walls have closed in on her, and we saw the end result!

Now, truth be told, is not like Tyrion had much choice in the matter either, since his marriage to Sansa changed the equation. Well actually he tried to protect her from exactly the situation she finds herself in currently and what is to follow!

60. dog lover gifts
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Fortunately, birthdays and Christmas don’t come unannounced
    so in the run up to these occasions, be curious and find
    out what’s going on in your dearest teenage girl’s life.
    ” They’ve put their lives for many, many years, into a profession or business that was once their choice, and now it is time to relax and enjoy their senior adulthood as they see fit and according to their lifestyle. Make sure that you buy unique gifts for women and men to make yourself different from other people who are also on the same birthday party.