Liam Cunningham brings “Game of Thrones: The Exhibition” to Toronto
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

This week, Liam Cunningham travelled to Canada to bring Game of Thrones: The Exhibition to Toronto. Unveiled Tuesday night at the TIFF Bell Box, the exhibition will run until Sunday and marks the third time Toronto has hosted the exhibition.

Liam was a prime candidate to launch the show, as one of this year’s newest additions is Davos’ costume, complete with the leather pouch that contains the remains of his fingers. The Thrones actor posed for pictures at the event and took his very first ride on the Oculus Rift, the virtual elevator up The Wall, which he admits gave him a bit of motion sickness.

CBC News caught up with Liam at the Exhibition’s opening to talk about Team Dragonstone’s latest move of visiting the Iron Bank in Braavos, teasing that as the season progresses there will be trouble. He also explains what it is about Davos that he likes so much.

CTV News also spoke with Liam at the Exhibition about why fans go so crazy over Game of Thrones, and his routine of riding the train to work at Westeros. The video also provides footage of the exhibit. Click on the screen capture below to watch.

While Liam was in Toronto he stopped by a few Canadian talk shows to promote the fourth season of Game of Thrones.

Liam visited CTV’s Canada AM to talk about what it’s like being on a show that breaks records every week, if he has read the books, and his character being the moral compass to a sometimes less than loveable Stannis. Click on the screen capture below to watch.

Liam also visited CP24 Breakfast. He talks about the fan reaction to his character and the show, if he thought Thrones would become the phenomenon that it is today, and how the free exhibition continues to get better and give back to the fans. Click on the screen capture below to watch.

Liam sat down for a great interview with Gate Magazine to talk all about his character Davos and what makes him so interesting to play. He discusses his character’s latest success, describing Davos’ speech as an honest stream of consciousness, and explains the joys of being a part of such a high quality show.

News 1130 has shared audio from their radio interview with Liam, who talks about some of the exciting pieces at the exhibit including his costume that he’s going to be wearing again in July, and teases what’s next for Davos and the “tsunami of entertainment” that is the final episodes of the season.

1. jentario
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Davos! High two and a half!
    EDIT: Wait, is it high 3?

2. Kosis
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:01 am | Permalink

How do these exhibitions work? If I were to drive to Toronto (a couple of hours away), would I be guaranteed to get in and see everything, check out the Oculus Rift, etc…? Do people get tickets ahead of time?

3. Jen@House Stark
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Wow, just wow. Liam is the shan. Davos is one of the very few truly good characters Martin allows us. Cheers to the Onion Knight.

4. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I think Liam Cunningham portrays me incredibly well

5. TorontoGoTFan
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Kosis:

6. Strider
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Jen@House Stark:
    Wow, just wow.Liam is the shan.Davos is one of the very few truly good characters Martin allows us. Cheers to the Onion Knight.

It really is an amazing match actor/ character. His IBB speech negotiating gave me goose bumps. How he cut Tycho with “humor me”. He was not to be denied. Just wonderful.

His Shireen scenes are a delight: warm and emotional. And when he plays against Dillane and Carice his Davos is just brilliant. Cheers indeed to the Onion Knight!

7. Kosis
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

TorontoGoTFan,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, in that case might not risk driving up there. Looks like it’s a good time.

8. JJT
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I’m really bummed out that there was no notification at all about when they went on sale. I just checked one day and they were all sold out

9. GeekFurious
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Liam should get an Emmy nomination. But he won’t because Emmy voters don’t give a shit about talent.

10. Tatters
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks would disagree on that notion.

11. Ser Jean-Ralphio
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

TorontoGoTFan: Tickets where free on a first come/serve basis and they’re “sold” out. However, they’ve stated that they’ll allow a few walk ups to enter the exhibit on the days of the showing. What is a “few”, nobody quite knows.

12. The Shallot Knight
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I know I’m probably in the minority when I say this, but Davos is my #1 character in the entire series with a bullet. He follows the time honored Martin tradition of turning a weakness into a strength, as a smuggler with principle.

(think about how often Martin plays that card: Dwarf who is ingenious, woman who is a knight, child who is an assassin, penniless lowborn who is ambitious, amazing swordsman with no hand, bastard son with honor, fat man who is kind hearted… the list goes on forever)

But Liam’s right, Davos has the firmest moral compass but he’s completely willing to bend or break some rules to always achieve the right result. He’s got all the ideals of Ned Stark with all the flexibility needed to play the game… it makes him the perfect counterpoint for Stannis and frankly he makes Stannis relatable.

13. TorontoGoTFan
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Ser Jean-Ralphio: I missed out on getting a ticket in advance, got there at the time of opening and wednesday and got in in 20min. You’re probably fine if you do the same tomorrow morning. Might be a longer wait on Saturday too, but if you go early, I’m sure you’ll get in.

Unfortunately, although I have the day off tomorrow, I’ve got to take my little dragons to school and pick them up :)
    Perhaps I can get the Hound to watch them for a couple of hours; he looks like he gets along with kids, just fine.

14. Arya's Nose
    Posted May 16, 2014 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Did anybody ever ask him why he plays Davos with a Geordie accent? I know it might be, in part, a homage to his ol’ mucker, Neil Marshall, but I’ve never seen anything written about it.

15. Sinfyre
    Posted May 16, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I went and it was awesome. I didn’t get to see Liam Cunningham (Davos) though. He was only there Wednesday for the openingas he had to Fly out Thursday because he had a movie at Cannes. But it was AWESOME! I had low expectations for the Climb the wall, Oculous Rift exhibit, but it was sooo good! Hopefully they comeback next year.