It’s that time again for our look into strategic players in the Game of Thrones. After some wonderful feedback, a few changes will be made to these posts:
– No more “fanfic.” WiC has never been the place to include this medium of writing.
– Less exposition, more disposition!
– A deeper look into how these players impact the State of the Realm and what their role is at this point.
– Focus on the plot from Game of Thrones with a foreword about where they came from before the show started.
Any other suggestions would be welcome! Thank you for continuing to make this site a pleasure to visit and scribe for.
Now that all of the expectations have been set let’s get into our next installment. This will be the second DOUBLE Feature for Player of Thrones. Focusing on the two towering brothers of House Clegane, I present to you the Terror of Gregor Clegane and his younger brother Sandor Clegane. The Hound and The Mountain
There is not a lot known about the early years of Gregor and Sandor. The first knight of House Clegane was the kennel master at Casterly Rock, seat to house Lannister. He protected Lord Tytos Lannister, father to Tywin, from an attacking lioness with the hounds he kept in his kennel’s. In the battle amongst the hounds the Clegane Knight lost his leg and three of his hounds. Because of his brave act Lord Tytos granted the Clegane Knight the lands and a single tower just southeast of Casterly Rock. In honor of the three hounds that were killed, House Clegane would be given the sigil of three black dogs on a field of yellow. House Clegane Sigil
That Knight was Gregor and Sandor’s Grandfather.
When the boys were young a terrible and cruel moment happened amongst them. If you remember from Season One when Petyr Baelish was describing the two knights to Sansa at the Tourney of the Hand he told a story about how Sandor received his scars.
The hound was just a pup, six years old maybe, Gregor few years older, already a big lad, already getting a bit of a reputation. Some lucky boys just born with the talent of violence. One evening, Gregor found his little brother playing with a toy by the fire, Gregor’s toy. A wooden knight. Gregor never said a word, he just grabbed his brother by the scruff of his neck and shoved his face into the burning coals. Held him there while the boy screamed. While his face melted.
This story describes that at such a young age the two Clegane brothers were already violent. Specifically one over the other, Gregor. He, without warning or remorse, took his younger brother’s face and melted it on the coals of the burning fire. This scarred Sandor not only physically but mentally as well forcing him to leave the Clegane lands and taking up service amongst the Lannisters of Casterly Rock.
Gregor is a ruthless killer. He has an uncontrollable temper and rage. As he grew older he grew bigger in size as well. Because of his size he was given the nickname “The Mountain that Rides” He was an asset to the Kingdom and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen knighted him. Gregor kept his loyalty with Lord Tywin Lannister and was one of the first knights to enter King’s Landing to sack the city. This is where he gained the cruelest point of his reputation. It is said that during the sack of the Capital City he found the late Rhaegar’s son Aegon and wife Princess Elia of Dorne. He supposedly killed the baby Aegon and raped and killed Elia. Although many accusations, particularly from the Dornish, that Gregor committed these awful crimes, he is never convicted.
Sandor, when joining the services of House Lannister, never took the title of knight. He thought the title was hypocritical. He was terrified of fire and came to hate his brother as well. Sandor became a loyal sword to House Lannister during Robert’s Rebellion. He became a savage man with little to no redeeming qualities. He’s a drunk but also became skilled and dangerous with a sword. When Prince Joffrey Baratheon was born Sandor then became the prince’s bodyguard. Because of his house sigil and his obedience to House Lannister he was thus given the nickname of The Hound.
We first see the Hound in Season One Episode One, “Winter is Coming,” entering the walls of Winterfell with the Royal Party. He is pointed out easily because his helm is made in the shape of a Hound’s head. Hound Helm
The next significant moment we see both Clegane brothers, and to this point in the show, the only time we see the two together is at the Tourney of the Hand back in King’s Landing. The Mountain is unhorsed by Loras Tyrell and in a fit of rage with one swing of his broadsword decapitates his horse. He then attacks Loras. Luckily for Loras, who surely would have been destroyed by Gregor, was saved by The Hound. As the two brother’s fight it out Robert Baratheon commands the two to stop. Gregor storms off.
We are all familiar with the story line of Sandor. Between killing the butchers boy and protecting Sansa from Joffrey, and Joffrey from cow dung, he finally loses his wits and abandons the once prince, now King Joffrey, during the Battle of Blackwater. He is captured by the Brotherhood w/o Banners and slays Beric Dondarrion to free him of his crimes. He then captures Arya Stark as he flees King’s Landing. He intends to sell Arya back to Robb Stark at the Twins only to be halted by the infamous Red Wedding. The Hound is now escorting his young wolf to what seems to be her only living relative Lysa Arryn, to once again try to sell her off.
Meanwhile what happened to The Mountain? Here is a quick timeline for our viewers wondering where the “Horsecutioner” went.
– The Mountain faces Ser Hugh and kills him in the Tourney of the Hand. He then faces Loras Tyrell. Loras unhorses The Mountain and in a fit of rage The Mountain decapitates his horse and almost kills Ser Loras only to be stopped by The Hound.
– After The Mountain’s loss to Loras he retreats back to his tower.
– Because Catelyn Stark kidnaps Tyrion Lannister under conviction of the attempt on Bran’s life, Tywin Lannister sends the Mountain and a group of raiders to raid the Riverlands. This is unbeknownst to Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon.
– In Season One Episode Six: A Golden Crown Lord Eddard, acting regent, is approached by a man from the Riverlands in the Kings Court who tells of the treachery that Ser Gregor had unleashed amongst the Riverlands. Lord Eddard strips Gregor of all lands and titles and orders Lord Tywin to answer for his sworn knights crimes. He orders Ser Beric Dondarrion to bring the King’s Justice to the raiding Clegane.
– In Season Two we get a glimpse of Clegane sitting on Lord Tywin’s small council at Harrenhal. He is ordered to march upon Riverrun. The Mountain may have not been noticeable because of his change in casting. Note below the faces of Gregor Clegane.
– In Season Three we hear Robb Stark discussing his uncle Edmure Tully’s recent victory against Gregor. Robb reprimands Edmure because he drove off The Mountain when Robb feels that he could have captured and executed the treacherous knight.
– Beric Dondarrion describes how one of his deaths came from facing The Mountain in battle.
– The Mountain is called out by Prince Oberyn Martell to Tyrion Lannister. He convicts The Mountain of raping Prince Oberyn’s sister Elia and murdering her and her son.
– Lord Tywin Lannister agrees to a meeting between Prince Oberyn and Gregor if Oberyn sits on the Small Council as well as be a judge in Tyrion’s trial for killing Joffrey.
Now that we know where the largest guy in Westeros has been since Season Two we can now talk about what he and The Hound play in The Game of Thrones.
Sandor Clegane (The Hound)
Current Role to the Throne: Outlaw; Currently being pursued by the Crown.
Army: Arya Stark
Likelihood to become the next King of Westeros at this moment: Impossible. Now that his business has been blurted out by Varys to the Small Council about “Fuck the King” I highly doubt the Lannisters would let him take the Throne at this point.
Desire for the Throne: At this point none. He has no desire to be a knight, what makes you think he would want to be king?
What would it take for him to become King: He would have to murder Tommen and Hope Stannis dies. Then he would have to marry Myrcella Baratheon or Shireen Baratheon.
King Name: The King of All the Chickens
Gregor Clegane “The Mountain”
Titles: None anymore. Stripped by acting regent Eddard Stark
Current Role to the Throne: Outlaw; Ally to the Lannisters;
Army: Little to No Lannisters
Likelihood to become the next King of Westeros at this moment: Slightly better than his brother’s. He is allies with the Lannisters.
Desire for the Throne: I believe he has very little desire to be king. He likes raping and murdering too much…
What would it take for him to become King: He would have to literally kill a lot of people to get there. Not a problem for this guy. This list would include Tommen, Myrcella, Stannis, Shireen, All the Lannisters, All the Tyrells, All the Baratheons, and Danyerys Targaryen.
King Name: King of The Mountain
Both men know how to rule by force. They take what they want and live outside the laws of the God’s and Men. Neither men are fit to sit on the Throne. Gregor is fit to serve the crown but Sandor is an outlaw.
I find that The Hound has been treated cruelly his whole life. It’s the only way he knows how to treat other people. He is off put by people being nice to him, and often finds it hard to repay them for their nice deeds. He is playing the game of survival and his golden ticket to freedom is selling Arya Stark to Lysa Arryn. Once that happens he will have the money to flee Westeros and leave the cruelty of those who have never given him a chance behind.
I doubt that the Mountain is redeemable. He is a naturally angry and cruel person. There are no limits to his treachery and he will stretch the limits of wrong. He has been and will remain loyal to House Lannister. They give him the most bloody and violent jobs which he lives for. It is a symbiotic relationship for both parties. Plus he has Oberyn Martell hunting for a meeting with him. If that’s not dangerous I don’t know what is…Oh yeah, The Mountain is!
What are your opinions on The Mountain and The Hound? Do you believe either one will make the Throne? If so will it be in service to the King or will they themselves become the King of Westeros?
What do you all think of the new format of the post? Please let me know as well!
REMEMBER TO BURN ALL SPOILERS WITH THE SPOILER VEIL!
Other Featured Players:
Done in the light of the Lord…