Looking Forward, Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 7 and the MIA
By Oz of Thrones on in Editorial.

Greetings from the shores of Westeros where a man is recovering daily from too much ale, ear-ringing from an overabundance of blasting melodies, and an obscene amount of twerking.

Today a man brings you an abbreviated version of Looking Forward due to scheduling, time constraints, unreliable broadband, and the necessary raven from WiC.net editor-in-chief Zack Luye.

Today we are discussing the missing in action, and there are plenty. A man surely did not name them all, so grab a beverage and join us for a discussion on this fine day.

Since this is the one weekend of year that myself and Ozzette manage to escape reality and somewhat disappear, we started discussing disappearing characters in relation to GoT (because seriously, it’s damn near all we talk about… besides bills. I prefer Thrones).

Many of these could have been one-hit wonders, but you have to believe that they were introduced to us for at least some justifiable reason. D&D and GRRM don’t just throw in characters for the hell of it, do they? There has to be people to kill off and as far as I know, these people are still alive (at least in Unsullied theory).

So here is a quick version of Westerosi Where Are They Now. Bear in mind that these members of the WWPP (Westeros Witness Protection Program) are rolling off the top of my not-so-sharp head, so feel free to add your own.

Benjen: The brother of Ned hasn’t been seen since Season 1 and his whereabouts/fate remain a mystery. But surely we didn’t just meet this guy for nothing. I’m convinced he is the voice in the vision Bran encountered by the weirwood tree. Maybe Benjen has similar abilities as Bran?

Kevan Lannister: The brother and trusted advisor of Tywin has not been seen since S2. I really thought he would show up the Royal Wedding/Funeral but it was not to be.

Jaqen H’Ghar: Of course, this is a personal curiosity and request of Ozzette, so long as Jaqen is the Jaqen that gave Arya the coin and not the one that changed faces and walked away moments later.

Mance: We know roughly where he is and we know that he will make an appearance at some point this season (based on a quick glance in an earlier season preview). But the hour is getting late.

Beric Dondarrion: The Brotherhood hasn’t been seen since S3 going back to when the boys that lack banners were going Lannister soldier hunting. Then again, the Lord of Light hasn’t been a major factor this Season sans the burning sacrifices at Dragonstone. Still, I felt like these guys were going to be more of a staple in the series after Red Velvet found them and traded up for Gendry.

Anguy: See Beric Dindarrion

Thoros: Replaced by WiC Thoros, who may not hold a flaming sword but can hold his own nonetheless.

Lancel: Lancel has been recovering from his wound at Blackwater for a long damn time now. Maybe he got hooked on milk of the poppy and is in rehab.

Gendry: The last known bastard of King Robert may still be rowing due to inexperience. I keep visualizing Cersei walking around a corner in KL and running into him, instantly recognizing his similar characteristics of a young Robert.

Edmure: There is no reason to believe that bad-shot Edmure has somehow escaped the Frey dungeon. But I liked his character and hope that somehow we get to see him shoot a bow again one day if for nothing more than comic relief.

Blackfish: Most of us have, on occasion, had that friend or family member that says they’ll be right back and then magically evaporates for hours at a time. Brynden Tully left the concert to take a piss in the middle of a set and never came back, which can be a common occurrence at a music festival.

Balon Greyjoy: Last seen looking at Theon’s Theon in the box from Ramsay. Balon holds the name of the last leech that is still alive and I wonder if that will come into play during the last four episodes.

Name more… but show only! No book-only characters here.

Looking Forward 407

My apologies, but time runneth out before the next act, and Ozzette is getting antsy.

The Mountain v.3 lives per the previews and the question remains, is the trial by combat he versus Oberyn, or is it someone else?

Will Shae remain in KL after the trial and be someone who still has a presence on the show?

Is Daario about to get sent across the narrow sea? That would be intriguing.

Red Velvet and Selyse are having girl’s night in while Stannis is away and are probably up to no good. I keep having this thought about how Selyse feels about Shireen and the fact that Melisandre enjoys sacrifices. See where I am going?

Is it snowing at the Vale? Is it a sign that winter is finally coming? And is Lysa about to throw Sansa out the moon door and make the Stark girl fly? I swear Lysa, if you do that, we are never ever ever ever, getting back together. Crazypants.

OK festies, a man is out! Time for midday cocktails and some beach music.

Today’s plate: RDGLDGRN, Little Green Cars, Modest Mouse, Fitz, the Killers, and some unknowns in between.

Programming Note: The Unsullied Recap may very well be late on Monday and I offer my apologies. There is no HBO here and as stated earlier, the current broadband situation is unreliable at best for HBO Go purposes. I shall do my best.

Have a great day, follow the hijinks on twitter @ozofthrones, and may there always be peace in your realm. -Oz

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson!

The King of Thorns!

2. Cash Craig
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Well, we haven’t seen any giants since s03e01 if that counts.

3. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

The Unsullied Recap may very well be late on Monday

4. franco
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe you forget Hotpie!

And poor Rickon, he’s a Stark, but no one cares for him :(

(just kidding, there are too many characters in this show for an unsullied to remember all)

5. Dragonboner
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Where the flip are Rickon and Osha?

6. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Dragonboner,

As mentioned, I was not given adequate time to mention all. I am curious to see if Rickon and Osha have made it to the Umbers.

By the way, your name rules.

7. Alan Lovejoy
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Excellent. Thank you.

8. House Mormont
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Un-named masked woman in Qarth who talked to Jorah a few times about Daenerys, she’s the only person who wasn’t killed that we met in Qarth

9. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Nymeria. There’s a direwolf somewhere out there in the middle of Westeros, and assuming she’s still alive and has grown as big as her brothers, well…

Then there’s the Freys. We wants them to pay, we does.

10. Only Cat
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Quaithe

11. Udi
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Two dragons?
    We keep seeing Drogon but what about the other 2 dragons? Backpacking in some exotic locale?

12. Andy Smith
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Ok , I’ll bite … Syrio forel ! not seen since season 1 xD and NO HE IS NOT DEAD! :<

13. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Jhiqui. She hasn’t appeared since season one. Irrhi got killed off, but Jhiqui just vanished into thin air.

On that note, where are all the Dothraki characters this season?

14. Sansa's Knight
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

WINTERFELL
    while yes we see it ever week smouldering in the intro are we ever going to see the winterfell again … cant be for no reason its still in the intro

SANSA FOR QUEEN…QUEEN OF THE NORTH

15. davyJones
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Where is the GreatJon!!

Cogman confirmed that hes still alive and free in the Riverlands *show canon* (really wish he was at least mentioned in the show s2&3)

16. davyJones
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

the dothraki following Dany they dwindle every season….

and the Greatjon… Cogman mentioned hes still alive and free in the Riverlands (show canon) they should have at least dropped a mention season 2 & 3

17. Greenjones
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
  18. Turri
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I think missing characters should only re-appear if they have something plot-driving to do. I don’t wish for somebody to come back for the sake of coming back, see Theon&Yara last episode. GRRM is playing the looooonng game with this story, it’s so long it can be frustrating (and it’s definitely something nobody is used to), but everything and everyone will find its place in the end.

About 2018 in the show, about 2025 when the books end (go ahead and call me a pessimist).

19. Magiese
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont:

Then there’s the Freys. We wants them to pay, we does.

Yes, Walder Frey. I’ve been wanting to… see… him.

My brother suggested Dany forgot to unload her boatload of seasick Dothraki from the ship back in Yunkai, seeing as we haven’t seen them since.

20. Deez
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Good call about Benjen, that seems very likely, you figure he has to fit in somehow and after you mentioned it sounding like him it struck a cord and seems the most likely spot we see him again. I also agree that the name Dragonboner owns. Also did you ever mention what festival your at?

21. Turncloak
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

davyJones:
    the dothraki following Dany they dwindle every season….

Don’t you mean The Blackfish?

22. Easteros bunny
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Turri:

I agree, I think saying the books end in 2025 is a bit farfetched . I predict we won’t get the final books till at least 2035-40.

I mean, we have to get the history of the westeros book, probably at least another 20 edited GRRM books and at LEAST another 1000 comic conventions, before George finishes working on the series he started some 20 years ago.

23. Turncloak
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to #Lemoncakegirl tomorrow (aka Sansa)

24. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Deez,

If this happens to go through, Hangout Fest. About to see Modest Mouse. The Internet and cell service here is medieval at best.

25. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Magiese,

I think if you look carefully during the Daenerys scene last episode you can see a couple of Dothraki standing as guards against the walls, but you’re right they have basically disappeared, which is annoying given they were the basis of her storyline for season 1 and 2.

26. TT
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: This is a good time to mention for your readers and the Unsullied chatters- we’ll be posting the Unsullied Recap blank placeholder post on Sunday nights from now on, in the same way we post the Book Readers’ Recap posts right away after the episode airs and then edit the recap into it when it’s ready. That way the Unsullied will have a future-spoiler-free place to talk amongst themselves after the ep airs.

Much obliged!

27. Lou Reed
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

My guess is we never see her again. (hope not)

28. Lou Reed
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I am certain about Mance, since he promised us a big fire. Not so sure about the rest really.

29. Ser Tahu
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

My list of the MIA that I want to see again:
    - Mord (“Dwarf man making noise!”)
    - Kovarro
    - The Greatjon

30. House Farwynd
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Yeah, GreatJon hasn’t been seen since season 1 I think.
    Maybe he’ll be at the Last Hearth if Rickon and Osha ever make it there…

31. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I strongly second a reappearance of Nymeria!

RDGLDGRN, Modest Mouse, F&tT, and the Killers?…Awesome! Great energy!

32. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Regarding the Greatjon: he may have been written out of the show because he broke his contract for season 2 due to being cast on another show and then was never asked back for season 3/4. It’s possible they could eventually recast him if the character become important to the story again…

33. Chickenduck
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

davyJones,

Cogman never said anything about Greatjon. That particularly quote was referring to The Mountain still being out in the Riverlands somewhere.

Greatjon was dropped due to issues with the actor’s availability in S2. He may theoretically reappear, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it.

34. Josla
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Kovarro. He was kind of prominent a dothraki during season 2 and Malakho. I’d like to see him back too.

35. 3eyes
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Kovarro! Not even a mention? A woman needs closure. Also, felt cheated when the creepy-cool Silent Sisters didn’t put in an appearance at Joffrey’s funeral. They added a certain mystique to the story in S1 and I miss them. Oh, and more ravens please, lots more ravens.

36. Blood Crow
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Regarding MIA. A certain character first seen in the very first episode and only once more if looked at closely.

37. Drakoen
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Illyrio Mopatis, Quaithe, Greatjon and The Brotherhood are at the top of my MIA-list.

38. Bowl of Brown
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Myrcella of the House Baratheon, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm*

*per Dornish rules of succession

39. outdoorcats
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Benjen needs a POW-MIA-type flag of some kind. We haven’t forgotten you, buddy.

I second the mentions of Kevan Lannister, Myrcella, Kovarro, and maybe Quaithe (sp?)

40. chamush
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

That was the thickest SH sound I have ever heard in my life when Tyrion said “I wishhhhhhh to confess”

Wisssshhhhhhzzzzhhhhh….

41. chamush
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Blood Crow,

Ofcourse,you mean the guy who gave dany the eggs! WTF happened to him in the books/show???

42. Lisa Y.
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Oz,

If your Lysa hurts my Sansa in any way…I will be name a leech after you and throw it into the fire. The Red God takes what he wants, bub.

43. Dragonboner
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Josla,

I always wondered what happened to the few remaining Dothraki on the show, and why the loyal few were never part of Dany’s court with Greyworm, Jorah, Selmy and the artist formerly known as Desert Fabbio.

44. Johnnyjohn
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

What happened to Shagga and the rest of the hill tribe guys? Its been a while since I’ve seen that season or read the books but feel like they kinda just stopped being mentioned in the show.

45. Silas Kulkarni
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Syrio Forel is the character I’m dying to see return. Fight to the death with the greatest swordsman on the planet and then…cut to different scene? Come on!