Game of Owns: Off Week
By WiC Staff on in Podcast.

Episode 221 – Off Week

iTunes | Download | RSS

In a very lonely week of Thrones, GOO returns with a look further into topics that remain a mystery, and catch up on your listener owns.

Discussion Topics

Peter Dinklage
Snoop and Seth talk Thrones
The Mountain and the Viper
The Eyrie
Traveling in the same direction
One True King
TEAMSTANNIS
Reads the Tweets
Live show, specials guests, fun stuff

Game of Thrones: Lysa, Petyr and Sansa by winteriscoming

1. jentario
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

SINNATS! Don’t you poo on my parade

2. King Stannis
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Stannis !!!

3. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

So is Selina officially not on the podcast anymore? Welp, I’m off to find a few tables to flip.

4. spacechampion
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

If Littlefinger plans 7 steps ahead, that sort of undermines his speech on “chaos is a ladder”. Planning that well would suggest an order that he takes advantage of, rather than the chaos. So I think it is misreading the story to think he is planning out that far ahead.

The whole story, a song of ice and fire, might naively be viewed as order = good, chaos = bad, but then that’s saying the Others are good, the Dragons are bad. Order = bad, chaos = good is equally wrong, because well that’s saying Littlefinger is a hero. Ice and fire actually manifests itself in the story with far more nuance. The story is about power and free will, or power and agency, and the balance between the two. The Others enslave people as their puppets, and death is no escape. It’s the ultimate exercise of power, like the Others are simultaneously enslaving and raping (by which I mean stealing their agency) the corpses of the dead. The highborn Houses grasp for power, and destroy the lives of millions in Westeros as casualties of their conflict. Widespread rape happens, clearly an exercise of power over someone, taking their agency. Actual slavery exists in Essos, and the whole economic order of the world in the East depends on it. We could say that Dragons are the ultimately expression of free will. Yet it was the Dragonlords of old Valyria that enslaved much of the world, and established their order. One man’s free will means slavery for another. I think THAT is the song of ice and fire. So anybody wishing Dany didn’t have the slavery storyline or that the story was much less rapey would be entirely missing the point.

5. John M W
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Ned not anybody’s favorite character? I think not, Kate. :p

6. Richard
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
  7. Grynthaline
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

They’re called Stanstans, but Team Stannis or Team Dragonstone suits hem just fine I think. :)

8. A wolf named Dire
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

I like having Kate on the podcasts but she really needs to be more careful about spoilers, almost every episode she inadvertently says something that could spoil people if they are paying attention.

9. A wolf named Dire
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 12:23 am | Permalink

btw Micah (sp?) I think you reversed it, seems like Stannis is much more popular with book readers then tv viewers not the other way.

10. Kate
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 2:17 am | Permalink

A wolf named Dire,

Oh jeez. Trying my durnedest not to spoil anything! (Not hard because I have a terrible memory…) Care to elaborate behind spoiler tags?

11. John M W
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 2:21 am | Permalink

A wolf named Dire:

Depends on who you ask (and detractors are often the most vocal). My own family (non-readers) find show-Stannis to be enormously interesting (and they love Stephen Dillane’s performance).

I, myself, am much more interested in him than I ever was in book Stannis.

12. Aldi_A
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Grynthaline,

I also like kings men stannis fans.

13. A wolf named Dire
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Kate,

Hi Kate, what prompted my comment in this episode was During the discussion of Littlefinger and what would happen in response to Lysa going out the moon door, you said that it will be interesting to see because in the books he has a ready made scapegoat there in the room with him. I certainly can see how this wouldnt seem like a spoiler in the heat of the discussion, but you basically just told everyone that in the book he gets out of it easily. I know you didnt say it in those exact words which is why i said “for those paying attention” but if you have no knowledge of whats coming next, learning that in the books he had an easy scapegoat would lead you to believe he at least doesnt face any repercussions for it. I admit nothing major at all but I have noticed you do similar small spoilers like that in past episodes also which is why I finally mentioned it. Overall your great on the podcast just thought I would mention that.

14. A wolf named Dire
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

John M W,

Thats interesting John, as I said I have a totally different experience everyone I know who has read the books likes Stannis way more then the show only watchers I know. I guess you are right it does depend on who you ask, in light of that my apologies Mycah.

15. Rhys
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

This podcast is proof that Americans really cannot do English accents.

Especially Americans called Eric, it would seem.

haltwhogoesthere,

I agree that it is a bit disappointing. I have nothing at all against Micah, Eric or Zack but they are all male Americans. Having a female and non-American perspective is important, so it’s a shame they lost Selina who provided both in one. Kate is cool too, though, of course.

16. Just a Random
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage…

Sansa was basically a prisoner in Kings Landing and still is. The only thing that changed is her surroundings. Littlefinger is a total creeper and definitely sees Sansa as a mini hot Catelyn. His plans have moved from the background to the forefront and now we’ll see how differently he plays the game.

Is it possible to have a draw in trial by combat? Sort of a Monty Python situation with the Black Knight.

And if the Hound and Brienne meet up on KingsRoadMingle.com my head would explode.

I’m so ready for the next episode. How many days has it been since the last GoT? TOO MANY!

17. Kate
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

A wolf named Dire,

Ahhh, thanks. Just need to keep all book discussions pre-ASOS to myself. (Although just because Petyr had a scapegoat doesn’t mean he got away with it!)

18. Atomix
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

My own goes to the memory of the men and women who died while serving in America’s armed forces. Also Natural Casing Hotdogs burned on the grill on a toasted New England bun smothered in minced vidalia onion, spicy brown mustard and topped with saurkraut and No Bean chili. and Brew Free or Die! India Pale Ale.

and Rammstein

19. Chickenduck
    Posted May 28, 2014 at 4:43 am | Permalink

A wolf named Dire:

For the past year or two, I’ve mostly had the impression that the BookStannis fans angry at D&D&BC’s interpretation ShowStannis were a loud minority among the general sullied. People have specific gripes, but they tend to be pretty varied. I’d be hard pressed to name something about the show universally loathed by literally everyone.

But realistically, I have no idea of whether that’s correct. I only interact with other sullied online. Most of my friends/workmates are big GoT fans, but none have read the books.

20. Chickenduck
    Posted May 28, 2014 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Geez, that comment is a mess. I hope you can untangle my sentences to find the actual intent…

21. ShireenForQueen
    Posted May 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

“Who would Davos back without Stannis?…”

Shireen, you fools!