Joe Dempsie talks the possible return of Gendry, Joseph Gatt teases the best from the Thenn is yet to come
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Flicks and the City caught up with both Joe Dempsie, who we’ve been missing as Gendry, and Joseph Gatt, who is new to the show as the Thenn warg, at the recent Collectormania 21 at Milton Keynes. Joe talks about the possible return of Gendry, and how he would like to see that the character has evolved if we do see him again. Joseph discusses becoming a Thenn, working with Rose Leslie, and teases that the best stuff from their storyline is yet to come. Watch both great interviews below.

Talking points:

• His reaction to watching Joffrey die on screen
  • What qualities you need to survive in the Game of Thrones world
  • Does Gendry have what it takes
  • How he would like Gendry to come back a changed man, if and when he returns
  • What he thinks of the possibility of a Thrones movie
  • Who he would like to see face-off on the show
  • His new film Monsters Dark Continent

Talking points:

• What it was like becoming a Thenn warg
  • The scary Thenn makeup
  • Working with his owl
  • The best stuff is yet to come
  • Working with Kit, Rose, and Kristofer
  • The best Season 4 death so far
  • How would he like to die on Game of Thrones
  • His hilarious BTS footage of Rose Leslie
  • Stand-out moments from Joffrey and Tywin
  • Who would he like to swap roles with
  • Who should be on the Throne

Game of Thrones Power Rankings: Laws of Gods… by winteriscoming

1. caoimay
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

sansa!

2. Arkash
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Joseph Gatt seems really dedicated to the show ! I really wish he hangs around more and gets more screentime as the main Wildling warg.

3. D'Arcy
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Will Gendry be present during the Stoneheart scene?

4. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

I assume Gendry has not been wandering/rowing aimlessly in Blackwater Bay for the past several months with no food. If he wasn’t picked up by a passing ship, he probably came ashore near Rook’s Rest on Crackclaw and has been making his way to Duskendale or Maidenpoole. I doubt he would head back to KL. Maybe he will head toward Saltpans and the Inn at the Crossroads, to be reunited with Hotpie.

5. Aegon VI Targaryen
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Oh, Joseph Gatt wants Maisie(Arya Stark) on the Iron Throne. He’s now one of my favorite characters! #LovesEveryoneWhoLovesMaisieArya

6. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

goes to maidenpool… hmmm… where he meets brienne and pod early next season (while they are in maidenpool with Randyll Tarly) he then agrees to take them to the BwB (so he can be reunited with arya, even though she isn’t there anymore). then we have brienne meet LS around ep5/6 next year.

7. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

Gendry has definitely taken a different route than in the books, but I agree that he is destined to meet up with Brienne at some point and face the BwB again, although they will have different leadership. :) I was hoping to glean something from the interview to suggest that Gendry may show up yet this season (in our often-speculated last scene…).

8. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Arkash,

i have a theory, Gatt’s Thenn Warg = Sigorn, Styr’s younger brother instead of son.

9. Veltigar
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: e books, but I agree that he is destined to meet up with Brienne at some point and face the BwB again, although they will have different leadership. :) I was hoping to glean something from the interview to suggest that Gendry may show up yet this season (in our often-speculated last scene…).

Since Rorge and Biter are dead already, there might be a chance that Gendry bumps in with Tripod and Brienne this season. I mean we know that Brienne bites someones ear off, but since Locke, Rorge and Biter were already used somewhere else, she’ll need to face off against someone else. They might use Gendry there to have an identifiable character though they could just use the other members of the BwB

Hogan: You praying for casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron?
    Sara: Yes!
    Hogan: Well then I must be drunk enough ’cause, damn my eyes, I find that kinda touching.

10. Frank Lannister
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Veltigar,

I’m beginning to thing that the ear might belong to the Hound.

11. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Just imagine the possibilities for that scene!

B & P are surrounded by the BwB (they don’t know her mission) and B & P engage them as they fight for their lives…but the BwB are too many and B & P are overwhelmed. Just before they are killed, they stop and SHE steps out, covering her throat, dark anger dominating her scarred face….maybe a direwolf following her….Brienne’s eyes widen with recognition as the ropes are put around their necks…(fade out of the season with a macabre cello solo)

Ok, D&D beat that… :)

Btw, I hope MM gets to read and appreciate your casting exuberance. You do have passion, ser…

Frank Lannister,

Could be. That would be a very interesting fight. How many bites can the Hound tolerate??

12. Ashara D
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Joe Gatt seems like such a nice guy! But he’s so menacing as a Thenn [shivers].

A dark, cold, brutal Gendry might be kinda cool. Wouldn’t mind seeing that. Also, the way Joe Dempsey described the possibility of a movie (or movies) to end the series seems more plausible than I originally thought. If D&D can keep the show at cultural juggernaut level, the movie release could rival LotR or even…dare I say…Star Wars.

Starting to think that THAT SCENE is going to get pushed to next season or cut altogether…so much to look forward to in the next three eps, tho!! Hurry up, Sunday!

13. Nick_Scryer
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Frank Lannister,

I had that thought too.

How do you see it possibly going down?

14. Arthur
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I still think it would be amazing if HBO cap off the series with a movie release…

They would have to time it perfect though and I don’t think anything in television has been done like this before.

HBO would have to time it so when season 7 ends that following weekend their big budget 3 hour epic Hollywood movie would be released…

IDK man maybe its far fetched and impossible for D&D to work on season 7 and a movie capper at once but imagine that shit!

15. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who doesn’t want a movie? I prefer the tv format which allows for much more detail than a movie. And I still believe 7 seasons will not be enough for tWoW and aDoS, to complete the series I predict at least 9 seasons and NO MOVIE.

16. Turncloak
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Frank Lannister:
    Veltigar,

Veltigar,

I’m beginning to thing that the ear might belong to the Hound.

Dino would flip his shit. He’s on the record of saying that if Brienne kills The Hound on the show he will stop watching lol!

17. Gatehouse Ami
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Loved hearing Dempsie’s appreciations of Detroit.

18. Nick_Scryer
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I doubt she’ll kill the Hound because why would they bother putting in the “Gift of Mercy” scene if Arya wasn’t going to deny him mercy in their final scene.

I do think it’s possible that Brienne and Pod happen upon the Hound in a brawl at the Gates of the moon and end getting involved to protect Arya.I also think it’s possible a few Brotherhood without banners people show up and maybe even join in the brawl ultimately capturing Brienne and Pod. If something like this happens, Brienne could very possibly bite Sandor’s ear, this pic shows a bloody Hound with an ear (That’s usually covered, granted he is getting his make up done but for the sake of speculation…) exposed and possibly already bitten.

Spoilers of course : http://oi60.tinypic.com/mtxwrp.jpg

Would be an interesting change, looking forward to see if anything remotely similar to this crackpot spec happens. :)

19. absalomcrane
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Gatt seems pretty damned charming and friendly, a far cry from some of the roles he has played.

20. Tabes
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Detroit will never die Joe! Glad people are making films here, thanks for the shout out!

21. Crabber's Son
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Anyone think Gendry could replace Hyle Hunt seems like it would make some sense.
    Also I think the ear biting may either be a scene with the hound which could be done quite well or cracklaw point, I will be mad if BWB scene with brienne is this season.

The idea of doing a movie seems great but only if done right. The movie would have to replace what would essentially be the final episode of the series and involve the biggest battle of the entire series which would never be possible on a tv budget. I mean blackwater was a good episode but when u rewatch it you realize that its like 40 men fighting 40 men, the scale of it felt really small in reality. I wonder what GOT budget per episode is now because it was around like 6-7 million per episode for season 2 but if HBO could push that to like 20 million for the finale episode that would be perfect. The boardwalk empire pilot had a budget of 18 million so im thinking maybe even a 30 million dollar episode is attainable. Also why did Rome have a larger per episode budget than Game of thrones does… There have been moments this season where the cgi felt a little underwhelming and a higher budget couldve saved them like the end of mockingbird and danys collar throwing in mereen. I guess episode 9 will really help people decide whether a movie is something that might be needed for what GRRM says might be some very expensive battle sequences.

22. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

If Brienne crosses paths with the Hound and Arya, it is sure to be another clusterfuck of a scene, just like Jon/Bran at Craster’s and Yara at the Dreadfort. I really hope that doesn’t happen. I can already see the questions of why Brienne let Arya leave, or why the Hound and Arya didn’t kill Brienne, a woman sent by a Lannister to take Arya ‘some place safe’. Adding action to spice things up seems to always end in a convoluted mess.

23. Sunfyre
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Don’t know if there’s ever been a theatrically released movie as a finale of a show (not counting stuff like Sex and the City), but I do know the original plan for the Dark Tower involved a combo of films and television (i believe it was going to be HBO).

Copied this from an online wiki: “Ron Howard and his company, Imagine Entertainment, in conjunction with Universal Studios took on the project and decided to make it into a trilogy of feature-length films and two seasons of a television series in between the film releases.”

Pretty sure the Dark Tower project has cooled off significantly since then. Would have been very ambitious for sure.

Just remembered, isn’t there gonna be an Entourage movie? Never watched the show but maybe that would be a precedent for a GOT feature film finale…

And it is interesting that all of these shows: Sex and the City, Entourage, The Dark Tower (even though it hasn’t been made) involved HBO. They might be more receptive of this idea than any other network/channel.

24. ATG
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Joseph Gatt is a really cool dude.

25. Veltigar
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Frank Lannister:
    Veltigar,

Veltigar,

I’m beginning to thing that the ear might belong to the Hound.

Hmmm, I doubt it. If the Hound hadn’t been bitten yet, then I might think it more likely. But now it would just feel like overkill.

Hodor’s Bastard:
    Veltigar,

Just imagine the possibilities for that scene!

Ok, D&D beat that…:)

I’d like a bit more build up and perhaps a less grand fight scene. But we probably won’t get that. I’d like to see trees riddles with hung corpses of Frey and Lannister soldiers, but since the show hasn’t even mentioned the hangings we won’t get them :(

If I had full creative control over the show (sadly I do not) I would either have had Brienne and tripod run into Merret Frey and some Frey soldiers. Have Merret force them to go along to the BwB to deliver the ransom, and then drop the LS bomb(Never going to happen of course, since we haven’t been properly introduced to any individual Frey). or otherwise I would have Nymeria appear. Let Tripod and Brienne hunt behind it, like it’s a questing beast or a white stag and then the wolf suddenly stops.

Let starved peasants (filmed in an almost classic Romero zombie shuffle)close in onBrienne and Tripod from their horses. Let them slash their swords and use their teeth, but still get pulled down from their horses. Than bring on the nooses and then pull back LS veil. Zoom into those dead eyes,followed by an icy scream

Hodor’s Bastard:
    Veltigar,

After watching the season finale of Hannibal’s second season, I’m more convinced than ever that Mads would be the crowning gem of this marvelous cast. It’s easy to carry on after that :D

Dae-su Oh: Even though I’m no more than a monster – don’t I, too, have the right to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron?

26. David The Grey
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Arthur: Has anything like that ever been done, a series ending capping right off with a movie release to keep the momentum going the following weekend?

The only(*) show that came to mind was Serenity to cap off the ill-fated Firefly TV show. However, that wasn’t originally planned and it certainly didn’t happen the during the next weekend!

(*) – I say “only” because I’ve only watched a limited amount of TV shows over the years, less and less each year, so I wanted to point out that there could be a ton more than the one show that came to my mind.

27. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Good ideas, ser! You’re absolutely right, a buildup throughout the season…a hint here and there…discussions of attacks on Freys/Lannister troops at the small council and in side conversations at various inns…would be awesome before the LS reveal…

Still hopeful for some satisfaction this season, though.

28. David The Grey
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed both interviews. I always enjoy the Flicks and the City interviews. I like that the cast gets a nice amount of time to really give some insight into their answers.

29. Veltigar
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard:
    Veltigar,

Still hopeful for some satisfaction this season, though.

D&D don’t seem to understand subtlety, so I guess the absence of small allusions and built-up doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeing LS this season ;)

Girl at Party: Dude, you can’t start a slow clap at any time and expect everyone to join in. Wait until someone anounces something big, like world peace or the casting of Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

30. Frank Lannister
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Yea, I’m not saying I’m in favor of it. I just think it might be a direction the showrunners choose to go in (but I do admit that the whole “two bites” thing might be a bit much).

IF it went down between the two of them, I’d see it being something of a miscommunication. Arya doesn’t know Brienne and wouldn’t know her intentions. Perhaps Brienne wounds the Hounds, interference from Arya allows the two to make their escape and then the whole “Gift of Mercy” comes into play after they get away from Brienne/Pod.

Who knows though? Just kind of throwing stuff to a wall to see what sticks.

31. Only Your Sister Wrister
    Posted May 26, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Gendry has been sailing the seas of cheese, along with all the other bastards… “Here they come, here they come, bury your head….”

David The Grey,

This also came to mind, but it was a much smaller show, with a much smaller audience, doing so for completely different reasons. I did think they managed to end the story in a satisfying way. I’m not sure about a Thrones movie, unless that’s really the only way they can muster the budget for such epic battles to come.

32. KG
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Sad days when that counts as complimentary for us lol

Gatehouse Ami:
    Loved hearing Dempsie’s appreciations of Detroit.

33. KG
    Posted May 27, 2014 at 3:17 am | Permalink

You are correct. We are too mean to die.

Tabes: