Pedro Pascal assures fans “they will not be disappointed” by Sunday’s trial by combat
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Oberyn Martell travelled to King’s Landing for one thing: vengeance for the rape and murder of his sister Elia. Seizing the opportunity to do so without repercussions, Oberyn volunteered to fight for Tyrion in a trial by combat against the man he believes to be responsible for his sister’s fate, The Mountain. Said to be the largest man in Westeros, securing victory against The Mountain won’t be an easy undertaking. The stakes are high, and as David and Dan have already promised, it’s going to be the best battle Thrones has ever seen.

Fans of the books have been waiting for this scene for a long time, and in a new interview with Today Online, actor Pedro Pascal says that they can lay any of their worries to rest. “I would say that fans of the books who are fans of the show have never been dissatisfied over any of the major events and I can assure you they will not be disappointed for this one.”

Pedro admits that filming the battle was a “very harrowing experience” but also “one of the most exciting in my life.” He continues, “We were shooting outside, it’s a pretty large battle and we all wanted to get it right. Nobody got hurt. There were no injuries sustained. There was no heat exhaustion. Everyone was working really hard together and having a great time.”

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson was recently recast as The Mountain for Season 4, and after his debut in the most recent episode, it’s pretty clear how he landed the job. Pedro reveals that production has nothing to do with the enormous impression he leaves on screen. “I can definitely say there are zero camera tricks used since the actor is six foot nine and 420 pounds of muscle. Physically, it was intimidating, but he’s a very kind person and we got along beautifully.”

We’ll have to wait until Sunday to see how the trial by combat plays out, but if Pedro could pick his character’s fate, he’d get his happily ever after. “What I would wish for Oberyn Martell is for him to take down all the Lannisters and go hand in hand with his partner, Ellaria Sand, having a party throughout the rest of Westeros.”

For more from Pedro’s interview including how the cast welcomed him on set, and the pleasure of working with Peter Dinklage, visit Today Online.

Game of Thrones: Tyrion's Champion Presents… by winteriscoming

1. Summer
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Elia of Dorne

2. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

ELIA!!!!

3. spacechampion
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Say her name

4. LandShark
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

It’s killing me, knowing what I know, when my (unsullied) friends/family mention what an awesome character Oberyn is and how great he is in the show.</b

5. OhDanyBoy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Elia! Say it! Elia of Dorne! Elia of Dorne! Eliaaaaa! If you die before you say her name, I will hunt you through all seven hells! Say the name!

6. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

As if we need reassurance! This is one of those great moments within ASoI&F…

7. GeekFurious
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I’m shaking with excitement! If they do this right, it will go down in the history of this show as a top 5 moment. Maybe top 3. Top 1.

8. A flayed man none
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

9. Amanda M
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I’m flipping out with excitement. One of the most intense, exciting, edge-of-your-seat scenes is finally going to come to life onscreen! I have super high expectations for this one. Hopefully the show will meet them! (They’ve done a great job “delivering” on most of my favorite scenes so far, so I’m not too concerned.)

10. the other guy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Every unsullied fan I know thinks he’s going to win the duel. Two of them told me “no way he loses”, and were willing to bet on it. Oh, sweet summer childs :)

11. Fancy word for a sellsword
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Ho, HaHa, Guard, Turn, Parry, Dodge, Spin, Ha, Thrust

12. Ser Matt the Sullen
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

There was a fan-made comic of the duel floating around somewhere. Spoilers obviously, but it was exceptionally well drawn, colored and paced. I was definitely on the edge of my seat reading it… I just hope the show can live up to it… It’s pretty intense, and it needs to be.

13. Howland Reed
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Prepare for more fake reaction videos.

14. Summer
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I really wonder what face Pedro pulls when the Mountain gets hold of him. Will Oberyn look pleased, having stabbed the Mountain? Will he look in agony? I’m so done waiting right now!

15. dragonreborn
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I just hope that the “toned down” shot they talked about before isn’t oberyn’s death

if it is even slightly less disgusting than the poking in the eye scene in s04e01, they won’t be given justice to the scene

16. vectner
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

This fight is going to be epic, but D&D saying it’s their best fight scene yet isn’t setting the bar too awfully high. We have had very few combat scenes and most were very short and not too dramatic. I think the best fight of the series so far was when Jorah, Grey Worm, and Dario stormed Yunkai, and that was pretty short.

Oooh, I take that back, the best fight was the Hound vs. Beric and that was pretty freakin’ awesome. Oh man this is going to be good.

17. OhDanyBoy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:50 am | Permalink

dragonreborn,

I thought there was an interview where they confirmed that the scene that they had to tone down was the Craster’s keep scene establishing the rapists and stuff before Jon et al attacked the next episode.

18. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Ser Matt the Sullen:

It’s one of my favorite fan-made pieces ever…
    Click here…very, very spoilery!

19. Delta1212
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

That just got me so pumped. There’s no way this fight is going to be that good on the show. It’s just not going to happen, and that’s a tragedy.

20. Balerion The Cat
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Oh God, that was so GOOD! I hope it will be just as gory.

21. queenofthorns
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

the other guy:

That’s quite interesting, because the 2 unsullied I know are totally convinced he will lose (separately, they don’t know each other). I asked them as a follow up but if he loses Tyrion will die, do you really think they will do that? They figure he’ll find some way out of it. I guess some people relaly are that jaded, or maybe D&D are somehow overplaying their hand, I dunno.

They also thought it was stupid of Cersei (and Tywin by extension) to name the Mountain because she should have known that Oberyn would fight for Tyrion due to the persnoal grudge against the mountain, whereas were she to name anyone else and Tyrion wouldn’t have a champion at all. I actually thought this was a fair point.

22. impuregold
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Just noticed a new interview with Julian Glover where he says that he’s got 5 episodes from season 5 at the moment.

23. outdoorcats
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Oberyn Martell traveled to King’s Landing to do two things: avenge the rape and murder of his sister Elia, and chew bubblegum. AND HE’S ALL OUT OF BUBBLEGUM

24. OldeCrone
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

impuregold:

Flicks and the City also have new interviews up with the actors who played Rodrik Cassell (it’s not the old interview), Locke, The Old Bear (new interview) and Xharo Xhoan Thingummy.

25. Dejan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I cannot wait till Monday. The scene will be epic.

26. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

vectner:

The Bronn vs Ser Vardis Egan was a nicely done bit as well.

And Hound vs Beric was epic, so I think this is setting the bar pretty high.

27. Jon
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

dragonreborn,

It’s not. They already said that was the rape scene at Craster’s Keep that they had to tone down.

28. GeekFurious
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

The best fight scene on the show was the Hound vs. the Lannister men in the inn, with Arya. Best shot. Best edited. Most dynamic. Second best is Hound vs. Beric (very close second). It only loses because it needed another 30 seconds.

29. Jeyne
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Well I know I’m going to be disapointed :( Disapointed to not be seeing any more of Oberyn. Wah! :’(

30. Strider
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Better not mess it up or I’m going to go all Red Viper on their asses! I’m expecting to see exactly what I imagined from the book pages. Maybe even more. Who knew I’m such a book purist at heart?! :P, but this fight sure looked awesome on paper.

Also it looks to me like Pedro sure has the chops to pull this one off. I have my doubts about this Mountain person but he does look fierce and enormous. Saw a vid of him training for The Most Powerful Man in the world contest. Incredible.

You and me both babe, you and me both!

31. Robyn Thomas
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Does anyone else think Ellaria might take the place of Taena Merryweather on the show?

32. wizardeyes
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Robyn Thomas,

This idea has been mentioned before and I don’t think it very likely. I don’t see Cersei liking or trusting a bastard who was the lover of a man who fought for Tyrion. Most likely she’ll return to Sunspear and be our link to the new Dornish characters.

33. Robyn Thomas
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

wizardeyes,

That’s a good point. I thought Taena was a curious choice for Cersei, too, but perhaps the psychological hurdles there were not so great, relatively speaking.

34. House Treepwood
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I’ll be really pissed if the battle is less than 5 minutes long .Although i would say it needs about 7, to make the book scene justice but that would be a bit unrealistic, since all duels were a couple of minutes long in reality.But anyway it’s true that the show has not given us enough mind blowing duels ,so i would say it’s about time it did.

35. Randa
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink
  36. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Robyn Thomas,

Although she is quite adventurous, I never saw Ellaria as the gossipy Myrish-swamp type.

37. SkywalkerIsDead
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

vectner,

Yeah, by far it has been The Hound v. Beric as best overall battle. Then for me it’s been The Hound v. the slew dumbass that tangled with him in a close second.

38. Robyn Thomas
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I’ve always assumed that was an act and that Taena would betray Cersei in the end, which is why I thought Ellaria might take on that role. She seemed to fade into obscurity in the novels. Meanwhile, no groundwork has been laid for Taena in the show. (I hope this doesn’t mean her character ends up going nowhere on the novels.)

39. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Jaime vs Brienne was my favorite fight from the books, and it wound up being pretty terrible in the show. The Hound vs Beric was my next favorite, and it was great on the show. I expect this one coming up will be pretty good, just based on how much is riding on it. I imagine D&D and the whole crew put more time and effort into this fight than any of the previous ones. I expect to see a ton of Unsullied complaints following the episode. The way the fight ends will have them pissed. Oberyn dominates the fight, has the Mountain speared to the ground, and has his sword. All he has to do is thrust the sword through the Mountain’s throat, but no, he has to hear the Mountain confess, so he stupidly gets close enough for the Mountain to pull him down and smash his skull in. For as great as Oberyn is, people will be talking about yet another stupid decision that leads to a major fan favorite’s death.

40. Ashara D
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That’s what it’s all about, my friend: petty little decisions bringing down the world! Can’t wait!

DORNE!!

41. Arthur
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Are you guys ready for a f*cking duel or what!?!

42. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I’m so excited for this, I dreamt about it a few nights ago…

0/__o

43. aegor
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Oooh. Some grammar problems here:

“Said to be the largest man in Westeros, securing victory against The Mountain won’t be an easy undertaking.”

The first participial phrase modifies “The Mountain,” so the latter should immediately follow it:

“Said to be the largest man in Westeros, The Mountain…”

44. Balerion The Cat
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

Yeah! I dreamt about it too last night but I didn’t see the actual duel, I woke up just when they were about to fight.
    This was my first GoT related dream, and it was awesome, I’m fully hyped for this episode. Bring it on!!

45. Turri
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

If D&D fail on this, I’ll hunt them through all seven hells!

46. Mimsy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Pedro is going to shine in this episode. He’s done a magnificent job so far. Can’t wait to see this battle! and everything that leads up to it, cuz I expect wonderful things from both Tyrion and Oberyn.

47. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

My name is Inigo Montoya and you keeled my father.

48. Thoros of Brooklyn
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

aegor,
    I mean this in the kindest possible way:

No one cares.

49. Spidey-Dan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Always nice to hear, but what is he really going to say?

“The fight scene? Yeah, it was good. I’m sure people will be happy with it. They wanted to do a lot more, but compromises had to be made. Ah, well, it’s good enough, I guess.”

Still looking forward to it, though!

50. Joshua Atreides
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I am dreading the UnSullied reaction to this at previously.tv which has become an absolutely terrible reading experience these days. The new UnSullied in their ranks reek of pissed off Purists in disguise (Alphaline for example). The UnSullied torchbearer StillShimpy rips apart every detail and still can’t let go of Benjen and The wight’s hand that Thorne was going to bring to KL as well as any minor mistake that D and D make. If you ask me the Red Wedding and the Bolton additions really changed her attitude towards the series, now she is hate watching. A few stalwarts like WhiteStumblr and Pallas and Abelard remain but it just sucks now. I hope the next 3 eps will sway them a little . As for Oberyn’s death I think as long as the change of fortune is sudden and seems less than a stupid move by Oberyn then it may satisfy them. I wonder what their reaction will be to Stannis appearing at the end of ep 9?

51. mariamb
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I am excited and sad because we are losing a great character. I loved Oberyn in the books and adore him in the show. Pedro has been perfect as Oberyn…better than I could have ever imagined. We are also losing a talented actor who has given so much to this role.

52. Greenjones
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

__________________

^Put obligatory stoner joke about Mountain weighing 420 pounds here.

53. After The Feast
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Balerion The Cat,

I had a dream like a year ago about the wall. It was very similar to the dream that Jon has in ADWD except I wasn’t fighting anyone, just watching fights around me. Then the wall collapsed and that freaked me out in my dream haha. I wish I had a dream about the duel though, that would be rad!

54. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I’m a little miffed with the changes to the Mountain vs Oberyn fight.

From the pics I already see that we won’t get
    a stable boy getting his arm and top of his head chopped off by the mountain and the subsequent terrified commoners trying to escape the field

I just hope everything else makes up for that.

55. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

You should read the unsullied reactions on Neogaf. They are much more positive. Also Dino and Byron on YouTube are always excellent with their recaps and love the show because of the very fact that it doesn’t give them what they want like conventional tv does

56. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Wow already crying about the show fight vs book fight.

57. Arthur
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That’s exactly what I am scared of!

The Jaime vs Brienne fight was a HUGE disappointment for me. I really hope this duel doesn’t end up being like that.

Crossing my fingers!

58. jentario
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Ooooooh good! This means they’re keeping his lines like in the books! Most of them, at least :)

59. Joshua Atreides
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Thanks for the recommendation! In concert with my last post I would like to say that the UnSullied’s current dissatisfaction is less attributed to D and D and more to the original text. They are simply fatigued by the narrative and have become cynical and jaded to the story world. Some of them like Pallas embrace the fantashistorical aspects of the series and seem to “get” the world that Martin has created. Gingerella who is very vocal and crass about what she doesn’t like about the series has a long rant whenever a fantasy element appears in the show. At the end of Oathkeeper her response was “Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!” While others like StillShimpy write with bitter condescension of the subject matter. This may be a way to continue watching despite how much the story disturbs her/them.

I never thought that the last 300 pages of ASOS would be dismissed with such indifference.

60. jentario
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Why are you so sure they cut the stable boy? In fact, I think the only one cutting stable boys this Sunday will be the Mountain. Sure, there will be no terrified crowd, but I think we’ll get a squire for the Mountain which will stand in the danger zone and get sliced. There’s no reason not to have an equivalent to the stable boy in the show, that was bloody awesome in the books. And I generally agree that the show could never reach the level of awesomeness of the scene from the books, but it will probably still be fantastic and without a doubt the best fight in the show so far and possibly ever. So as long as they keep the lines and as long as it’s fucking INTENSE throughout (while still being owned by Oberyn until the end), I will be plenty satisfied!

I have a big test on Monday (which is when I’ll watch the episode) so hopefully it will be a great reward :)

61. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

I just don’t understand the need to change something that’s already pretty damn perfect to begin with. I just don’t understand. Maybe I can ask Cogman about the decision to leave that part of the fight out in one of his Q&A’s

62. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I have no doubt the fight will be great but they could have made it perfect. Just confused on the decision making process to leave such an epic part like the crowd trying to GTFO during the fight

63. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Robyn Thomas:

To me, Taena was used as a “friend w/benefits” by Cersei (if Cersei had any friends) to obtain info about Marg’s camp. But didn’t Taena sort of fade away once the heat was on between Cersei and Marg? Supposedly, she went away with her hubby, right? I never saw Ellaria as having any connection with the Tyrells, which is what made Taena so interesting.

64. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I don’t know about that…the Mountain and his greatsword have a fairly wide swath…lots of things can get accidentally (yeah right) caught in his sword swings.

65. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I hope so. Guess we will have to wait and see

66. the one true bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

wait there is a duel coming ……..;)
    Arthur,

67. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

By the way there is an awesome OST for Euron Greyjoy on YouTube. Song is “under the radar” by abbey park. Thought someone like Veltigar would like it.

68. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Abney park*

69. dragonreborn
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Jon,

oh I missed that! thank you guys, it is relieving

btw I was talking about “poking in the eye” this morning in the comment and now I’ve got a bandage on my right eye because some small dust particle wanted all chickens!

70. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I don’t think it would make sense for people to stand around in a circle cheering while two guys are fighting with a spear and a big ass sword. I don’t know but a lot of people in westeros fear the mountain and why are they standing really close to him while he is swinging his sword wildly missing almost every cut.

71. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

The same reason people stood around in a circle and cheered during The Hound vs Beric fight -_-

72. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

The guys watching the hound and beric fight have protection on and they are trained fighters not random peasants who can’t protect themselves.

73. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

If the show runners thought it was idiotic to include the peasant scene than I’d like to hear it from them because I’m not buying it

74. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

What a place to use logic. Let’s take out one of the most epic scenes from The Mountain vs Vioer fight to stay logical but let’s have Yara have a completely unrealistic/anticlimactic attack on the dreadfort

75. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Alpha hates Jon Snow with a passion, and doesn’t understand why people think he will be important to the end game. I don’t think he/she is a book reader. Plus, I remember him/her from years’ past. What I don’t get is that they still don’t expect Stannis to show up at the Wall, and if he does, they are prepared to complain that he got there too fast. Outside of Oberyn dying, I do think most of them will have a positive reaction to the final 3 episodes.

76. JamesL
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Dude, you seem way too interested in that unsullied board, you bring them up an awful lot on here. There is only about 6-8 “unsullied” posters on there, who gives a shit what they think.

77. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

No one cares if the mountain kills a peasant or not. Why are you making it sound like such a big deal?

78. luciana
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

outdoorcats,

Hahahaha loved the bubblegum. Epic bubblegum.

79. RBloodworth
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Impossible. There will undoubtedly be some minor, insignificant change from the source material that will cause some book purists to have a full-on Rain Man-esque autistic freakout. Just look at the reaction to “Only Cat” being changed to “Your sister”.

80. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Having read, and enjoyed, that board for 3 years, it is fun to watch their reactions. They represent a sort of Super Unsullied. They watch each episode multiple times and dissect only what appears on the show. They don’t watch previews or trailers. They don’t read any of the wiki’s. They were the ones who coined the term ‘unsullied’ to describe viewers who haven’t read the books and aren’t spoiled. I don’t see a problem with wanting to discuss their reactions.

81. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

It’s just one of the many facets of the fight that made it stand out from any other in ASOIAF. Why wouldn’t I want my desert after I eat my meat and potatoes? It’s not broken and I don’t see a need to fix it

82. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

RBloodworth:
    Impossible.There will undoubtedly be some minor, insignificant change from the source material that will cause some book purists to have a full-on Rain Man-esque autistic freakout.Just look at the reaction to “Only Cat” being changed to “Your sister”.

I feel a seizure coming already….

I am an agnostic purist. I was greatly affected by the word and I continue to use it as a litmus test for the show, but I can tolerate other approaches that make sense.

83. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I don’t think these show writers are better at writing than GRRM and I don’t think they will ever capture every single epic moment from the books on a tv show budget. I do think they are working with what they have and I can live with changes as long as the overall plot doesn’t change. Maybe you just like bashing the show writers just for the hell of it. You aren’t criticizing their work based on a scale but you just sound like you hate the guys who write for the show for some reason.

84. JamesL
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Good, that would be ridiculously over the top and unnecessary.

85. Zack
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:09 am | Permalink

RBloodworth:

I got a kick from that change precisely because it was so insignificant that I figured it was done to anger the people who get upset over the most minor of changes. It altered nothing. If it had been said that way in the book and the fans were used to that, they’d have been miffed if “Only Cat” was said on the show.

86. mal
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:14 am | Permalink

That above image of Oberyn kills me. You kinda know a character won’t last past the season when they only get 1 outfit (he wore something different at the wedding tho I think)

87. Greenjones
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:43 am | Permalink

mal,

Despite peoples’ complains in this department he’s had quite a few costumes. He has the one we’re most familiar with the yellow one with the suns which he wore in episode one and quite a few other appearances. He had his lighter coloured PW outfit. He had just a pair of pants in Breaker of Chains. In episode six (though he wore his usual costumes for the trial) he wore a different yellow outfit at the Small Council meeting and in the throne room with Varys.

In short he’s had more costumes than Arya or Ygritte or Jon for instance.

88. King Stannis
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I’m sorry but you cannot say if its not broken then there’s no need to fix it when you compare a book one person reads at their own time vs a show that has no choice but to be 1 hour. Sounds like two different things to which therefore the show can cut/add anything as they please.

For the fight if certain things aren’t included that are in the book, it does not matter. I just want a great fight scene and Oberyn to say what he says at least a few times.

89. Turncloak
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce:
    Turncloak,

I am a big defender/lover of both the show and the books. I defended the decision of the show to not have Cat stupidly claw at her kneck during the red wedding. However there are some changes that I disagree with that I feel are a detriment to the show. The Yara attack on the dreadfort for example was extremely anticlimactic and poorly handled. Same goes for the Jaime rape scene that was supposed to be consensual according to the director himself. That was an obvious editing mistake.

There is nothing wrong with CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISICISM. The show is not perfect by any means and neither are the books

90. Strider
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

HAHHAHAH I love this site! Your comment got attacked because you expressed a preference for a particular detail that you thought it was good and you liked from the books! Out of all the posters on this site… I liked the scene the way it was too. It will be hard to beat what it evoked in my imagination TBH.

Like jenatario, I thought they’ll keep the dramatic head cutting of a bystander. It didn’t cross my mind that they won’t do it. I did notice the crowd missing as part of the location where the fight will take place. The change does take away the original flavor of the scene, I agree. Yet the set seemed impressive and what the fight loses in raw look and feel, what with the ordinary people and the yard where they fought, it gains in proportions and majestic quality. I’ll wait though to see it. I don’t want to make too many assumptions.

Also here’s a good comic if anyone somehow missed it before. http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

EDIT: I just noticed HB posted the same link up above. LOL
    I’m not deleting it because I find it hilarious how much fans resemble in what they like!

91. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Strider,

Deranged, dysfunctional minds think alike! Hi-5!

How do you think Strider from LotR would fare in ASoI&F?

92. Turncloak
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Show purists are so annoying. The show can never do any wrong in their eyes. It’s so frustrating lol

93. Strider
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Totally Hi-5-ing you LOL.

Strider would kick everyone’s butt in combat or duels. He’d also lose his head faster than Ned Stark. Too honorable by half. But get Gandalf in for the plotting and sorcery and then we’ll talk the Iron Throne…

Turncloak,

Touchiness where purists are concerned is a given in this fandom. I just found it hilarious that it happened to you.

94. chameleon
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

mal,

God, totally – it’s like, Hello, can he have more than 1 set of clothing??

95. Robyn Thomas
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Cersei was so sure she was the one manipulating Taena, but Taena could just as easily have been feeding information back to the Tyrells about Cersei. I think she was cunning. She knew about Qyburn, she knew that Cersei was telling lies about Margaery Tyrell. I can’t help but feel that it was stupid of Cersei to trust her and one day all of this will be used against her. It’s difficult to see this through Cersei’s point of view, but it is hinted at in small ways – e.g. every time Cersei suggests that Taena brings her son to court, Taena laughs it off.

She fled Kings Landing when Cersei was imprisoned and Cersei acknowledges that she knows a great deal of incriminating information.