Director Alex Graves on filming the trial by combat, and the trial of Littlefinger
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

We’ve already seen Alex Graves’ work this season in 2 early episodes, tackling the Purple Wedding and its aftermath, and on Sunday we’ll see the first of his final 2 episodes with “The Mountain and the Viper.” Graves was given the responsibility of some of the season’s most important episodes, and this week he takes on the long awaited trial by combat.

In a new interview with International Business Times Graves discusses filming the upcoming battle sequence and working with some of the newer cast members, particularly Pedro Pascal who proved very adept with a spear. He also touches on some of the other scenes we’ll see, including one where Sophie Turner comes into her own during another trial, Littlefinger’s.

What was it like working with the Red Viper and some of these new storylines and characters?

I had the Red Viper and I had an important part of the storyline, so I looked into him. And, of course, when you learn the bigger picture about the Red Viper, you learn a lot about things people don’t know about.

He’s a very intriguing character, and he’s going to have a very large footprint on the show, ultimately, and then Pedro Pascal was cast to play him and Pedro is without equal. Pedro is this very lovely man who is an extraordinary talent who would come in and play with such ease, and nuance, this hedonistic, screwed-up guy that’s very much not like Pedro. Then we would go to spear practice and I’ve never had an actor grab a weapon and get into a stunt fight sequence that quickly with that level of ease, and he was just mind-blowing, and everybody was just crazy about him.

Of course, you have Indira Varma at his side, [and it] was just icing on the cake. Anybody who knows actors or quality is always trying to get Indira because she is just one of the best.

This is the pivotal moment for Tyrion … what can we expect from the episode? How was the fight between the Red Viper and the Mountain shot?

Two things probably influenced me the most in that fight. Because of who Oberyn, the Red Viper, is, and as portrayed by so perfectly by Pedro, he has a real level of style and finesse that, obviously, nobody on “Game of Thrones” has in wielding weapons. I mean, it’s usually, “Cut, rip, kill,” and you got the Hound, you bump into the Hound at the grocery store and it’s like, “You’re dead.” So, I thought it should have a very elegant, slick style, especially because of the way it ends, it would set up a contrast.

The other thing was, it’s a story about Oberyn and talking to David and Dan about it, and the more I learned about Oberyn and what that scene is about. That scene is two people skimming the surface of one of the single most important events in the mythology of the show, and it is the night of the murder of Elia Martell. It was the night the Kingslayer was born, it was the night King’s Landing was sacked by Tywin Lannister, and it was the night several other things happened. It serves several purposes which is: One, it is really bringing to the forefront to the audience these names and this content, and yet you’re really not quite pulling it all in, and you will as the show goes on, but you’ll know about it through this fight scene.

Two other important scenes will feature a possible Wildling attack on Mole’s Town and fallout from Littlefinger’s actions.

You won’t see Ygritte, she is busy doing other thing, basically, the honeymoon is over, we’re at the first note of the battle, and let’s share a drink and try to stay alive.

One of my favorite scenes, actually, and Sophie [Turner] really came into her own and is so wonderful in it, is the scene with Littlefinger, it’s the “Trial of Littlefinger” as we called it. That scene is brilliant, and she’s incredible, they all are, but that’s the beginning of a big storyline and especially with Sophie pulling off the shell game of the trial.

For more from Graves about his time working on Game of Thrones, visit IBTimes for the rest of his lengthy interview.

Will Mesliandre Kill Stannis or Continue to… by winteriscoming

1. mel
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

catelyn

2. Lyn
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Sansa! Super excited about this.

3. Nick_Scryer
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I’m hyper excited about this episode!

Glad to see Sansa will start to become more Pro-Active. Looking forward to it and I hope it will begin to change the opinions of those who still dislike her.

4. Winnie
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Sounds like Sansa’s going to start transforming from pawn to player in this episode-I can’t wait!

5. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:58 am | Permalink

So how about a spoiler warning at the start of the post?

6. Winter
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

So excited for Sansa’s arc!!!

7. moonlightof1982
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Winnie,

Or maybe She doing exactly what Littlefinger asked her to do! I love Sansa but I still give the credit to Baelish!

8. BlackTalon
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

7,5 + million viewers for this episode.

9. JJT
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Lollius Palicanus,

What exactly is a spoiler here?

10. Johnny Camp
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Pretty sure I saw Ygritte in the preview?

11. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

BlackTalon,

Hopefully! I think this episode will boost episode 9 into the new record, regardless of episode 8′s ratings. Then hopefully 10 breaks the record again and reaches the 8 million mark (though that is a bit hopeful). Not that these numbers matter much, it’s the overall viewer numbers that matter- so hopefully we’ll get to 20 million by the end of the season.

12. Mormegil
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Johnny Camp:
    Pretty sure I saw Ygritte in the preview?

She is but it’s possible given what AG said that she’s somewhere else and not at Mole’s Town.

Either that or he was misquoted/mistaken.

13. Jared
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Nice interview. Graves clearly loves the show, and he’s turned out to be one of its very finest directors. When this season ends, he’ll have “And Now His Watch Is Ended”, “Kissed by Fire”, “The Lion and the Rose”, “Breaker of Chains”, “The Mountain and the Viper”, and “The Children” on his resume. Those are all contenders to be Top 10 episodes of the entire series so far. Truly impressive. I understand that he’s not going to be working on Season 5, but hopefully he’ll return for Season 6 and beyond.

Graves’ comments about both the trial by combat and Sansa’s storyline have made me even more excited to see the finished product. Under 36 hours now …

My only question stems from his comments about Ygritte. He says “You won’t see Ygritte” during the raid on Mole’s Town, but we explicitly saw her in the promo for this weeks episode. Unless her scenes were cut, clearly there was a miscommunication there.

14. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Thank the gods! A “jump to bottom” feature!

15. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Jared,

It’s either a misquote or a slip of the tongue on Graves’ part, I think. Either way, we’re definitely seeing Ygritte. I think what he meant to say is that the Ygritte we knew is mostly gone now.

16. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

JJT:
    Lollius Palicanus,

What exactly is a spoiler here?

“So, I thought it should have a very elegant, slick style, especially because of the way it ends, it would set up a contrast.”

17. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Jared:

I think they will utilize her bow and arrow skills to send her to CB early as a scout and a sharpshooter/assassin to strike early in a covert fashion before the rest of the Thenns/wildings arrive. The element of shadowy surprise will work in her favor. Expect a key assassination this episode.

18. Morna the Witch
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

^

I wonder who then. we have seen ser Alliser fight Tormund. I believe this is how Allliser will die in ep 9, so it can’t be him. Jon can’t die yet, so that leaves Janos and the other familiar faces. I hope it’s not Janos, because Jon needs to decapitate him. But it’s a cool idea though.

19. Winterdark
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure it’s Gilly that dies next episode. In the teaser you can clearly see Sam crying. I also think it might very well be Sam who’s going to kill Ygritte as revenge for Gilly. Finally earning him the nickname “slayer”. It might also be that Jon sends Sam away later on because the can’t stand being around the person that killed his lover. It all makes sense. I mean there’s no Dalla so no actual purpose for Gilly after this point.

20. Yes I'm Picky, So Sue Me
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Why aren’t they wearing helmets?

21. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Readers really were never introduced to Dalla & Val until Jon meets with Mance at the wall, so there still is a chance for a D & V sighting this season. That is a good theory on Gilly though…although Sam could be weeping since he put Gilly in harm’s way. Gilly might be savvy enough to avoid danger and surprise everyone later. Gilly dying would be a huge spoiler for readers though, making Sam’s trek south with Aemon very different (or not).

Then again, Ygritte could die (or get caught) in this episode as well, as a result of her spying…but I think they will save that for ep9 to juxtapose that sad event with the glory of Stannis’s arrival.

22. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Show spoiler Gilly isn’t dieing, not in this episode at least. Her actress said she appeared in an episode focused on the Night’s Watch. Most likely the show will trick the viewers and Sam into thinking it, but later she’ll be alive in episode 9.

23. Auren
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

I’m not so sure about Gilly. Was this a scene from episode 3? ( http://i.imgur.com/EpZgrXX.png from the Foreshadowing video) I can’t remember

24. Udi
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

I certainly hope you are wrong. Jon killing Ygritte is such a powerful dramatic story element that it would be a waste to change how that happens.

25. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Yes I’m Picky, So Sue Me,

You are fighting a losing battle. It makes no sense, but it is strictly for show. The directors want the actors’ faces to be visible. It really is random in the show. We have seen the Hound fight with his helmet on and off. Tyrion wore a half-helm during ‘Blackwater’. Ser Vardis wore a helmet when he fought Bronn. Every character wore their helmets during the jousting scenes in season one. Brienne and Loras wore their helmets during the melee in season 2. This is why I say it is the director’s decision. Some have chose to have the actors wearing helmets, but most haven’t.

26. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

jentario,

Doesn’t the Ygritte clip look like she is behind bars or reached a gate of some kind?

27. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Udi,

Jon didn’t kill Ygritte in the books, though he initially thought he did. The fletching on the arrows that struck Ygritte was different from his own. It’s fairly obvious that the boy whose father was killed by Ygritte earlier this season will kill her. He has even spoke of being a good archer.

28. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

(Episode 9 spoiler) Reading through the latest issue of Cinefex and found this tidbit: “The season will also introduce new creatures, such as a 17-foot-tall mammoth, and will expand the role of the giant race in the story.” We’ve heard some murmuringm, but nice to have it confirmed.

29. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

(Episode 9 spoiler) From the latest issue of Cinefex: “The season will also introduce new creatures, such as a 17-foot-tall mammoth, and will expand the role of the giant race in the story.

30. Patchy Face
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Udi,

Did you read the books? Confused – that did not happen…

31. Kyrion
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I think Sansa will say about the truth is that she is actually Littlefingers bastard daughter, and when this news came to light Lysa was distraught over it and flung herself through the moons door after trying to throw Alayne down it when Littlefinger stopped her, something like that. Sansa will use her own mind and with no instructions from Littlefinger, finally showing she is coming into her own. There has to be some reason why they changed it from Bastard to Niece lol

Its the only explanation I can think of. The people of the Vale will be eager to hear it, just cause they dislike Lysa for not helping Robb Starks Rebellion, thats the only information Sansa will need from Littlefinger to hear to form this plan I think.

32. Winnie
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Great theory Kyrion!

Even if it doesn’t play like that, I feel quite sure that Sansa will improvise some sort of story on her own to pull the whole thing off-impressing LF in the process, but also foreshadowing that she’s getting the chops to take him down someday-like next season hopefully.

33. Our Blades Are Sharp
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Lollius Palicanus:
    So how about a spoiler warning at the start of the post?

34. the one true bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

my thoughts exactlyTyrion Pimpslap,

35. Ashara D
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Yay! Thanks for that little tidbit. Can’t wait to see that.

Kyrion,

Good theory, although I think that they may stick closer to the truth and say that there was a struggle as Lysa tried to throw Sansa out the moon door, but that she tumbled out instead of throwing Sansa. I just hope that game 7 of the Western Conference Finals is not at the same time as GoT…GO ‘HAWKS!!

36. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Kyrion,

That was my theory too

Hodor’s Bastard,

I will check it now. To the preview!
    After watching: she looks like she’s in Mole’s Town, don’t know what you’re talking about…

37. Ice & Fire Walk with Me
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Thank the gods! A “jump to bottom” feature!

Praise Matt! You have him to thank for restoring it. If you have other concerns about the technical side of WiC.net, he’s the one to call upon.

How does one go about being unbanned?

38. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Damn I hope this fight scene doesn’t top my all time favorite fight scene Aragorn vs Uruk Hai leader.

39. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Our Blades Are Sharp: The whole article is about this next episode coming up. If you’re not smart enough to figure out that things will be discussed about this episode DONT READ IT.

I am a book reader. Just very, very careful for our unsullied friends.

40. House Threepwood
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

It’s a safe bet that it will if they did it right,I’m also quite sure tha it will be way longer Aragon vs Lurtz was what,30 seconds long?
    This will be apropos duel.

41. House Threepwood
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

*a PROPER duel god damn auto correct..

42. King Stannis
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Winterdark:

Of course he is crying. Moles town is getting attacked. Regardless of any outcome Sam will cry

43. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Wow, I just realized this episode will be a HUGE bummer for Unsullied. This season has been rather good to them so far (with Joffrey dying, Arya getting revenge, Flysa…) but this episode will be a great reminder that this show still has guts- Oberyn dying, the Hound getting severly wounded (good as dead), the Wildlings attacking Mole’s Town and potentially a Gilly fake death…

44. Winnie
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Jentario this is gonna be a rough one for the Unsullied-hopefully, the sheer awesomeness, (if not feel good qualities) of what’s coming in the final two episodes will provide some consolation.

45. chamush
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Let the damn Sunday come, 2 more weeks and then goodbye for 10 months!!!

46. utherwolf
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I will be very disappointed if Gilly is meant to die next episode. I want to see her having a sex with Sam next season.

And I don’t think there will be Val in the TV show. I assume Tormund will be captured at the end of episode 9, and during next season Jon could release him in order to rally the surviving Wildlings and give them shelter south of the Wall.

47. utherwolf
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

And I don’t think there will be Val in the TV show. I assume Tormund will take her role. He gets captured at the end of episode 9, and during next season Jon could release him in order to rally the surviving Wildlings and give them a shelter south of the Wall.

48. AlejandroHB
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Trailer made by me for the last 3 episodes of the season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u21BPmM66xg

49. Summer
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Winterdark:

Err, he already has the Slayer nickname. Thormund called him that in episode 1.

50. Summer
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

jentario:

Don’t forget Jorah getting banished!

51. cindy
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Oh, that arc of Sam and Gilly’s is one of my favorite in the books, esp starting with their journey with Aemon. I hope they keep it somehow, even without Val.

52. Jared
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

Currently, the prevailing speculation is that Olly (the young boy who Styr allowed to escape to Castle Black in Episode 3 after telling him that he was going to eat his parents) is going to be the one who kills Ygritte in the show. Ygritte shot and killed his father, and before Styr grabs him, Olly gets a nice long look at her. Then, when Jon’s training him along with the new recruits, Olly declares “I was the best archer in our hamlet!” You don’t say, Mr. Chekov. You don’t say.

53. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

cindy,

You liked that? I thought it was really tedious. I personally hope they cut it to a bare minimum in the show and leave most of it off screen until Sam reaches Braavos and just focus everything there (Aemon’s death as well?).

54. MM
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

From that interview…Alex Graves ships Jaime/Brienne and I love it:

So, all of a sudden, I’m in a bathtub in Belfast filming a guy and a girl arguing, naked, about all these complex things and they’re in love and they don’t know it.

And he’s expressing the most traumatizing event in his quasi-childhood and realizing, to some degree, that he is traumatized through expressing it to this person he has no interest in speaking to, but he is compelled to because they have one thing in common, and it’s the most important thing to both of them that they can’t share with anybody, and it’s that they are knights. At the end of the day, they’re both knights and they’re also in love and they are not sophisticated to know it or possibly ever know it.

55. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

jentario,

With or without the Fat Pink Mast, I just hope Sam gets to learn a lot from Aemon before he dies.

56. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I wouldn’t worry about it. Season 5 is good time to get into some prophecies and the casting of Maggy the Frog is a good indications that they might stop avoiding them. With that in mind, I think Stannis will get his magic sword (it would burn bright after the burning of Mance) and we’ll get some prince that was promised talk with Jon and Sam. This makes even more sends if the Pink Letter is written by Ramsay (and in my opinion it has to be) in which case “Stannis’s magic sword” comes into play as the evidence (real or fake, but probably fake) that Stannis is truly dead. So we’ll get some good Sam/Aemon and Jon/Aemon scenes alongside some prophecies! And I would be sorely disappointed if they don’t include this gem: “Kill the boy, Jon Snow, and let the man be born.”

57. Valaquen
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Jared:
    Winterdark,

I’d love if that were misdirection, though they’ll probably go through with it.

58. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I hope it doesn’t look like the Mountain rapes Oberyn.

Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

I’ll see myself out.

59. JJT
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I love how everyone is complaining about a change that hasn’t even happened yet. It’s all speculation and everyone is already gathering their pitch forks

60. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

jentario,

What’s important about HBO viewership is that the network has somewhere around 28 million subscribers (don’t know if it includes sports bars). Therefore we are talking about 2/3 of all homes subscribers watch GoT across all formats, that’s a massive per capita rating. Then there are the two invisible numbers, how many people are gathered at HBO homes to watch the show, it is surmised thousands of GoT parties each week (or more) and illegal download group views. Conservatively I would hypothesis including the later that perhaps 40 million people a week watch GoT in the U.S. alone.

61. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I hope not. In the book, it was clearly consensual.

62. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

“And then I raped her like THIS.”

JJT,

It’s definitely annoying. It was more annoying in the other thread, though, where people complained about D&D saying it’s going to be the best fight scene in the show yet. You wouldn’t belief how quickly people turned that into bad news :)

63. jentario
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Honestly though, if it wasn’t for the emotional trauma Oberyn would probably want to give him a ride anyway…

64. Luka Nieto
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Udi,

How is it such a “powerful dramatic element” that you don’t even remember it correctly? Jon didn’t kill Ygritte. She did die in his arms, but Jon didn’t kill her. Where did you get that idea, anyway?

Carne,

That’s almost fourteen meters. Holy fuck, mammoths are gonna be enormous. I just hope they do something more interesting with them in the show than in the books. They proved to be quite ineffective as anything other than mounts and hauling rams. I hope they show them in battle against Stannis forces.

65. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

In the show, Ygritte’s killer will be Sam, Olly or Jon. We will probably know for sure. (My money is on Jon as he defends Sam or Olly from Ygritte’s attack)

17ft is more like 5 meters. Damn, there be mammoths!!

66. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I just realized, Alex Graves directed the Hound/Beric fight, arguably the best one on one fight scene yet in the series, that’s saying something about how awesome the upcoming duel just might be.

67. Anguissette1979
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

I know that I have personally given my HBOgo password to at least 10 different households, multiple watchers per household. Hey – the CEO of HBO said it’s ok!

68. Luka Nieto
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I don’t know where I got that conversion from. Must’ve mys-typed. Okay, 5 meters makes more sense. Still impressive, too.

69. Chickenduck
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

JJT:

Welcome to GoT fandom…

70. Easteros bunny
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

They better not recast the viper for season 5, like they did with dario, that would suck.

71. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

The debate over which is more awesome, mammoth or oliphaunt, is coming soon!

Easteros bunny,

I don’t know about that. Pedro is becoming quite popular, showing up as a regular in other shows (Mentalist, etc). We may not get him for more than one season.

72. cindy
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Yes, I did. Are there tedious moments? Yes, but I think most of the arcs in these books could have been edited, descriptions removed, without doing much damage to the story. I liked how both of these characters reacted to events and how they were changed by them, and how their relationship developed. No, no battles were fought, no blood spilled, just good old fashion storytelling of two people who find themselves in harrowing circumstances, who manage to make it work, or at least start to.

73. Kaldor
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Lollius Palicanus,

Same here. The viper will have a huge footprint on the show, yeah? Well, that was TMI.

74. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny,

Me too!

75. Lady Forlorn
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I don’t see Gilly dying at all. What would have been the point of raising Hannah Murray up to main cast status only to kill her off? For that reason she could have remained a guest cast member. Maybe she’ll run and hide so we’ll think she’ll be dead but then she’ll pop back up in Ep 9.