The Mountain and the Viper keep Game of Thrones ratings at series high
By Hear Me Roar on in News.
Keep watching!

Keep watching!

James Hibberd from EW is reporting that the latest episode of Thrones was seen by 7.2 million people when it first aired on Sunday night. The repeat added another million to reach 8.2 million in total.

Very cool, I approve. The number keeps level though I suspect a few thousands lower than the record, or HBO would have touted it as such, just like it happened two weeks ago with episode 407. (The record was broken by 0.04 million that week, incidentally.) We will get a more precise number tomorrow, keep an eye on my Twitter account @WiC_HmR. After this episode, I can only see the number rising next week. And then again for the finale – you will see next week why that is. (Hint: Marshall.)

1. AVoiceInTheCrowd
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Hodor?

Fantastic news. It’s good to know that so many people love the show as much as I do.

I have to give props to D&D for maintaining the show at such a high level. I remember when I first heard about that a tv show based on the the books was in the works, that I couldn’t help but think, Ah man, its gonna suck. There was no way they could transfer it onto screen and not be cheesy. So glad I was wrong.

2. GeekFurious
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

ZzzzZzzzz GIMME THE TOTAL VIEWERSHIP NUMBERS, HBO!!!!

3. Rygar
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Grey Worm is the new Sansa. Does more with less than anyone.

4. King Stannis
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Nice to see GoT stayed a head of ratings. I mean… Ahead.

5. The Loon
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hopefully the buzz from last episode will drive a record number for the redemption of Stannis and the beginning of the redemption for Mel this week

6. Matt
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Is it getting on anyone else’s nerves that The Eyrie still does not appear in the title sequence? Did they lose the computer model to animate it or something?

7. John M W
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Matt,

Yeah, the map has been all screwed up this year. No Eyrie, but they keep showing Braavos?

Somebody’s asleep at the wheel.

8. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Too bad both of the next 2 episodes will go head to head with the NBA Finals. I still think the next episode could break the record, but man, there are going to be a lot of upset unsullied viewers when they realize the episode is only taking place at the Wall.

9. Ser Pounce
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Matt,

who gives a fuck about the opening credits? You loser

10. Jamie's Festering Hand
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Melisandre’s baps must have nudged the total up one or two extra on their own

11. Delta1212
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

7.4-7.6 for the finale and next season premieres at 8-8.2.

12. Matt
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:
    Matt,

who gives a fuck about the opening credits? You loser

Well, aren’t you an asshole.

13. Zack
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

This may be the first episode 9 that I’m not anticipating like crazy. I’m not invested all that strongly in the characters at either the Wall or Meereen, so an episode primarily focusing on either area is not likely to be one of my favorites.

That said, I expect the ratings for next week to be potentially a series high after this week’s episode, and because people are accustomed to fantastic penultimate episodes (I expected the duel to be episode 9, after season 3 had aired….)

And then no matter how I feel about 409, 410 should be brilliant again.

14. Josh
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:

I think a lot of Unsullied already assume that given it’s episode 9, an episode which tends to just focus on just one area, especially if there is a battle going on.

15. Turncloak
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Grey Worm is the new Sansa.Does more with less than anyone.

Stannis and Davos are the old Sansa and new Greg Work :p

16. Carne
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Why haven’t HBO released the episode 9 promo online? I know it’s available on other channels, but it’s so grainy a low quality.

17. TOIVA
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

John M W,

I believe (now with almost a certainty) they keep showing the places where a select few characters currently are, whether they appear in the episodes or not. And for some unknown reason, neither Sansa nor Littlefinger is one of those select few.

One exception to that rule might be showing Winterfell for the whole North, or perhaps even as a symbol for the Stark kids, despite them not being there.

(When Stannis was in Dragonstone, it was in the credits, now he’s prsumably still in/around Braavos. Reek or Ramsey (not sure which is the one we follow) were in Dreadfort till last episode, then Moat Cailin. Guess what new castle we saw in the credits: Moat Cailin.)

18. Veltigar
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Carne:

It’s on youtube in 720p :)

ALright, there is book dialogue in the teaser :D Pumped already!

Baby: Me? I’m scared of everything. I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when Mads Mikkelsen is cast as Euron.

19. Joan Català
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

John M W,

Ever since Season 2 I’ve been feeling that the map hasn’t been exploited to its full potential. Always thought that the names of the characters present at each location could appear somehow, or the intro could have focused on the location of characters rather than landmarks and great cities. Why keep flying over the Wall in Seasons 2 and 3? Why not show the Frostfangs or zoom in into Craster’s or the Fist?(When they appear in the episode) Why does Winterfell after burning in Season 2 keep showing up? I think that showing the characters in the map in some way would be a big improvement to the intro (if done right) and would add a layer of understanding to viewers, especially Unsullied.

20. Carne
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Yeah, but it looks more like 360p.

21. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Compression affects dark scenes badly, even in 720p. If there is a time that watching an episode in 1080p will be worth it, this is it. Blackwater had a similar issue.

22. Tony
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    POSTED JUNE 2, 2014 AT 5:04 PM | PERMALINK
    Nice to see GoT stayed a head of ratings. I mean… Ahead.
      QUOTE  REPLY
    The Loon
    POSTED JUNE 2, 2014 AT 5:09 PM | PERMALINK

Same here… It feels like Memorial weekend all over again.
    I love the Wall storyline in the books but it doesnt work as well in the show. I still like it but i am less invested in it as well… I’d prefer 25 minutes Wall 25 minutes extra other scenes. I am not sure about everyone but the unsullied i know are all less interested in the Wall stuff too. This must be torture for them (tyrion’s faith no resolution)

23. coronaking
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:19 am | Permalink

That image of a very interested viewer is a great choice for this article. ^^

24. Greenjones
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Joan Català,

I agree about them showing Craster’s and the FotFM. That would have been helpful. Sometimes it would be hard to show every location properly but I think they should have had the opening credits go north of the Wall properly too.

25. Doug
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

I bet there is not the ratings spike next week that most think. Every non book reader I know hates The Wall story and finds it boring, and have heard from most of them who are not looking forward to the episode. Small sampling obviously, but I’ve seen similar sentiments being expressed on social media too.

26. TaviColen123
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Doug,

Then they should honestly stop watching the show,if you don’t care for the major storylines at least, and the Wall is a major storyline, then they can fuck off

27. Pau Soriano
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Joan Català:
    John M W,

Great idea!! Can’t see how come anyone hasn’t though of it yet

28. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

[Regarding the picture at the top] What are you staring at, Grey Worm?

Ok, here’s a question for the medical-savvy out there….

If a rootless & stemless man got aroused at the sight of a turtle or Missandei, would his nether regions still get engorged with blood and would those nether region nerve endings still increase their sensitivity?
    Or does the lack of balls turn off the libido?

29. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Joan Català,

Over the seasons, they have shown a lot of places thus far with incredibly inspired creativity. The only place they really needed to add was the Eyrie….too late now. Odd. Crasters was just a silly love shack with no significant features. For S5, there should be at least 4 new cities/castles to depict (OldTown, Sunspear, Storm’s End, Volantis).