David Benioff and Dan Weiss tease Sunday’s big episode, and detail the challenges of filming the battle
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

This week’s new episode of Game of Thrones is going to take place completely at The Wall, with Castle Black going to battle against Mance Rayder’s Wildling army, and from what we’ve heard so far, it’s going to be big. Given the largest budget of any episode thus far, we’re in for a lot of action, and some “magnificent” sets and visual effects.

In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss discuss the challenges of filming such a unique episode, and drop some details on what we can expect to see on Sunday night.

So for episode 9, what’s uniquely challenging about this battle compared to previous ones you’ve staged?
Benioff:
Well it’s at The Wall. Which is tricky. Because there is no Wall.
Weiss: Just the general visual effects integration of this episode.
Benioff: Giants. Giants are tricky. Having Neil Marshall directing it, you have confidence; like going to a really good doctor who’s going to make everything better. Neil is very soft spoken, but he’s the kind of guy when he’s on the set everyone is calm because he knows exactly what he’s doing. It’s a very intense episode, more intense than Blackwater. We’re seeing it now, even before visual effects have gone in, and it’s still magnificent.
Weiss: With Blackwater when we got the episode in, so much of it was visual effects dependent we were kind of unsure — the performances were fantastic and the action was great, but we weren’t entirely sure what we had until the pieces were put together. But with this, even Neil’s first director’s cut that we saw without a single frame of visual effects finished, just something about it really grabbed us by the neck that’s very rare even with the great directors we’re fortunate to work with.
Benioff: In terms of the sets, our new production designer Deborah Riley did this magnificent top-of-The Wall set, far bigger than what we had before, so you can do walk-and-talks, you can have massive action sequences. It’s completely surrounded by green screen, which is apparently the biggest green screen in Europe.
Weiss: Neil and Deb both spent a lot of time watching the Kubrick film Paths of Glory to get a sense of how to apply trench warfare set-building to an icy top-of-The Wall environment. She did a really fantastic job. It has to be the biggest Styrofoam piece in existence.

What was the biggest challenge to shooting the episode?
Benioff:
I wouldn’t say it’s wall-to-wall action — because it doesn’t start right away — but once it gets going about 15 minutes into the episode it doesn’t stop. And we’re still on a TV budget. So the amount of action beats Neil had to shoot every day with a limited number of takes with the number of visual effects shots makes everything more complicated.
Weiss: With so much action, the more layered it gets, and then the easier it is to stop making any sense and just show a lot of random guys hacking and beating away at each other. And Neil’s sense of what was happening in an extremely complicated environment is so strong.

David and Dan also discussed last week’s trial by combat, and Sansa’s transformation. Visit Entertainment Weekly for the full interview.

Can the Night's Watch defeat the Wildings? by winteriscoming

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Tormund!

2. Ludvig
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Stannis!

3. JamesL
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

This episode probably should have been episode 8 and the Mountain vs Viper episode 9. After last weeks episode people are going to be eager to see what happens next in King’s Landing. Still should be an awesome episode though.

4. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Mammoths?

5. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:
    Tormund!

Thank you! :)

If they say it is bigger than Blackwater… BRING IT ON.

I have to say that for some odd reason, the eps this season seem much more separated than before by geography. Its not a complain just a thought. Very excited about the Wall battle.

6. cosca
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Same thing applies with episode 8 though. People would have been bursting to see the Viper-Mountain fight.

7. Brandon Gower
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
  8. Arkash
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I have never been that excited about an episode ! Monday 4 a.m. cant come soon enough !

9. vectner
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

They are in the Preview, check it again

10. sati
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

You can see one very clearly in French promo, well as clearly as the lighting permits

11. Gonzolegend
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Mammoths? Yep.

Promo contains HUGE SPOILERS

French promo (Youtube Link) shows an explosion and a mammoth running from the blast (around 46 seconds in)

12. King Stannis
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Please give me a Ghost action scene. Pleaaaase! :)

13. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

So my friend just saw the Blackwater episode. Here’s our convo.

Her: why do you like chp 9?
    Me: Episode 9 is the battle of Blackwater bay
    Her: Yea
    Me: It’s one of the best in the series. And it takes place all in one location.
    Me again: Great speech by Tyrion as well
    Her: They win
    Me: Really great performances all around
    Her: Yea I don’t like this episode

For fu** sake lol

14. Greenjones
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

Probably just one mammoth. But still, pretty cool.

15. Krusty's Keep
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Ugh…I can see what the website maintenance was for. Anybody else get one of those really annoying pop up ads when trying to click on the link?

16. Ed
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Top of the wall? Interesting… I wonder if they’ve somehow moved a bulk of the fighting up top. That *would* certainly be a lot more interesting than watching guys shoot arrows at a bunch of ants 700′ down below.

17. Arkash
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Ed,

On the preview shot of the archers, it seems to me they are suspended from top of the Wall to aim at the wildlings below. I could be wrong cause the shot is very fast, but it would solve the height problem of the reaching distance of arrows shot from below.

18. Zachy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Noooo, they’re not gonna kill Pypar off are they? Well, they have killed off people who are still alive in the books after all… D:

19. Jakylla
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I think it’s weird to have a episode completely focus on one event after the end of the last episode. I’m looking forward to see this battle since the beginning of the season but I’m a bit disapointed because they did not built up enough the threat of the wildlings. They should added a few scenes to make this episode more appealing than the fate of Tyrion.

I hope it will be as well as the blackwater.

20. King Stannis
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Jakylla:

I hope it will be as well as the blackwater.

The fuck??? I’m sure we have seen the Wildlings attack twice already and regroup at the beggining. What do you want? The Wildlings did not come to talk, they have one goal and that goal will be seen next episode. The builtup is enough. Actually more than enough since we have known the plan for a while

21. Adam
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Ludvig,

Dude. Spoiler tag that. Come on.

22. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I’m sorry, Turncloak, but that is a dealbreaker…out the moon door with her! :)

(I’ve already started my ep9 happy dance)

23. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

The season 4 soundtrack preview is out:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd-RBTvLhI4

‘He Is Lost’ is interesting. I wonder which scene it will accompany? Or has it already aired?

‘The Children’ sounds like ‘Mhysa’.

24. John M W
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:

‘The Children’ sounds like ‘Mhysa’.

I am not listening to the tracks from the last two episodes (I want to remain musically unspoiled this year), but thank you so much for the link! I suspect the iTunes version will be out this coming week, and having the track titles will tide me over for now. :)

Looks like lots of Ep. 9 music. :)

But if you say The Children sounds like Mhysa, and the last track ends up leading into the end credits (per usual), then I fear we won’t get you know what for the final scene after all… :( That would NOT be cool.

25. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Predictions:
    Ygritte will kill Pyp.
    Mag the Mighty and Grenn will kill each other.
    Jon will kill Styr.
    Tormund will kill Thorne, then get injured/taken prisoner.
    Guymon will kill Ygritte.

26. Josla
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Troublesome Birdsong:
    Predictions:
    Ygritte will kill Pyp.
    Mag the Mighty and Grenn will kill each other.
    Jon will kill Styr.
    Tormund will kill Thorne, then get injured/taken prisoner.
    Guymon will kill Ygritte.

Why are so sure Grenn will be killed? Have there been something leaked that supports this? I’ve read this many times now and I’m starting to worry it’s really going to happen.

27. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Josla,

He’s shown in one of the trailers trying to fend off a giant in the tunnel.

28. Zachy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

*French promo trailer spoilers*

Dunno about Grenn getting killed but I’m pretty damn sure Pyp is going to die via arrow in the neck. There’s a slim chance he may survive…although I’m not sure what purpose his character would serve if he did. Seems more logical that he’ll die.

29. Arkash
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Soundtrack tracklist and preview released.

Cant wait to listen to the full and in-episode versions of the three attle at the Wall themes : “The Watchers of the Wall, “The Biggest Fire the North has ever seen” and “Lets kill some crows” !

30. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

I think ‘Forgive Me’ and ‘He Is Lost’ could be in episode 9 as well. Also, ‘You Are No Son Of Mine’ is totally going to play during/after Tyrion shoots Tywin.

31. Arkash
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

“He is Lost” could definitly fit in episode 9. I wonder if it refers to Ygritte’s views on Jon or to something else (one of Jon’s friends sacrificing himself ?)

32. PrinceRhaegar
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

‘He is lost’ sounds like White Walkers to me. Maybe Bran & CotF vs WW.

33. StrokemeMarg
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

John M W,

Yep sounds like the last scene in episode 10 is going to be the second yawn anti-climatic closing for two years in a row featuring Dany and her Children and you hear them crying out as the door is shut. What happened to the shocking bad ass closings they were doing for seasons one and two, why deviate and end with dull anti-climatic ones? I thought alternating climaxes with odd being fire and even being ice would be brilliant.

34. John M W
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Actually, I don’t agree with that assessment of Season 3’s finale.

But we can at least agree that there is only one acceptable ending for this year. If they don’t go with it this year, I have to wonder if it will ever be in the show – or if they’re cutting it altogether (I can’t imagine this to be the case). But if you don’t do it now, when?

35. Feremuntrus
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

At first listen and viewing of the name, I thought Tyrion’s act in the last episode fit perfectly. I could be wrong.

36. bristol
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg: Actually, I don’t agree with that assessment of Season 3′s finale.

37. John M W
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

bristol: I never seen you post anything positive. Also, it’s funny how you’re dissing something and assuming it will be like that when you haven’t even seen it yet.

Are you responding to me? You posted my text, but are attributing it to StrokemeMarg.

Because I tend to think of myself largely as a positive fellow. :)

This is a rare instance of me being pessimistic.

38. King Stannis
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg:
    John M W,

Stop that crying and just wait. Obviously the list is not in order. Remember season 2 when Danny got her gold and the music played? That was not the ending but white walkers were. Sick of you cry babies on this site.

39. Arkash
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Well, I can see “The Children” track being the closing titles one, but there is a strong possibility that it starts way creepier before turning into the fragment we have in this preview.

40. strokememarge
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:19 am | Permalink

bristol,

I love GoT it is one the the greatest shows in television history. I just don’t like some aspects of the books, which I believe will not translate well in an adaption. Like the Kingsmoot subplot, or Breinne’s semi-boring journey, Dany’s stupidity in Dances. The latter was a 180 degree reversal from the Dany of Clash and Swords, from maturing, commanding Queen, to high school scatter brain who allowed Meerenese to manipulate her. Old Dany would roast them with her children. I just don’t want much of Dances Dany in the series that’s all, D&D can redo much of it and most book readers would be pleased. I love Dorne, Arianne and the Sand Snakes, and I believe casual viewers will fall in love with that arc, it’s perfectly set up for a network like HBO.

I will make it a point to say good things about my favorite television show every week after it airs, good enough. But I reserve the right to be constructive with my opinions concerning aspects of the books I believe can be adapted well, kept virtually intact or removed; after all D&D cannot fit everything from the books, therefore they have to redo, trim, merge and remove large portions of Feast and Dances if the are to finish in eight seasons.

To close, I have never ever trashed an episode of GoT, period, most of my flippant behavior is geared towards possible changes or retention from boks 4 and 5. Like Arianne being cut or D&D keeping most of Dany’s Dances scenes intact, which would turn viewers off to her story. I already have family saying Dany is beginning to fail as a leader and they are becoming disinterested. They wanted Dany to head for Westeros and when she decided to stay, they basically said fuck the bitch, we want her to roast Lannisters.

41. strokememarge
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:22 am | Permalink

King Stannis,

Cry baby, come on, you have to admit, the climax for seasons one and two were tens of total awesomeness, while three was yawn, average. I remember reading posts and critic reviews that were shocked on how anti-climatic the third season close was.

42. Raventree Hall
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I think the track “The Children” doesn’t mean Dany’s children but the Children of the Forest. Listen to that child choir. It sounds like the main theme but the main theme is NOT Dany specific.

43. Andrew
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Jesus, idiot purists. It’s obvious what the last scene of Season 4 will be. Seriously, it’s fucking obvious.

44. King Stannis
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Andrew:

Dont break my StoneCold Steve Austin heart!

45. John M W
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Andrew:

Since when does wanting a certain ending for the season = purist? Because I could not possibly be anything further from that. To call me a purist if probably the funniest thing I could ever imagine.

46. Andrew
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:41 am | Permalink

John M W,

Lena Headey’s Instagram gave it away months ago, FFS.

47. strokememarge
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Raventree Hall,

Good point and I will be cool with that closing, even would look forward to it.

To please some here I will say the last two episodes are ten’s and in my top five, and I give two others this season a ten, with three others 9.5, one finished a 9.0.

48. John M W
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Andrew,

Ah, very true. I’d forgotten. :)

I think I’m just getting stir crazy, waiting for the final episodes. ;) Which is insane, because all I’ll be left with is the even more unbearable wait for Season 5.

Time to unplug a bit on the morrow, I think. ;)

49. strokememarge
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Andrew,

Yep I saw that, it’s just the children sounds like the closing credits, and LS wouldn’t end with that music in the credits, it would be more chilling. It may not be closing credits, which is plausible. I don’t see LS being placed before any final scenes, it wouldn’t have the impact, but I could see a post credit sequence, which would be really awesome.

Awesome WW/CoF scene…closing credits…LS sequences (2 minutes) then cut. Casual viewers will be like WTF, trying to comprehend after the shock.

50. John M W
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:03 am | Permalink

I went ahead and allowed myself a listen at the 30 second sample for “The Children” and it definitely sounds like end credit music – but it could follow anything, really. It has a children’s choir, but I could easily see it following any number of scenes for the season’s ending.

Just have to wait and see. :)

51. GeekFurious
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:05 am | Permalink

My buddy just watched 38 episodes of GOT and now has to wait for 4.09. He has some crazy theories I’ll probably talk about later. It’s hilarious. But he’s viewer number 18.4 million and 1!

52. Arkash
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:14 am | Permalink

John M W,

“The Children” theme could, imo, only fit for two scenes of the finale :

- Jon elected Lord Commander.
    – Arya setting sail for Braavos.

It is a very uplifting theme and apart from these two moments, I dont see where else it could fit.

53. Enfield
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:25 am | Permalink

The ending song does seem strange, and based on other season’s closing songs (excluding last year’s “For The Realm”) it will end on that song. But it does seem very dumb to freak out about a speculated ending scene and song based solely on 30 seconds of a preview soundtrack heard out of context. So we’ll see, but I’m keeping my hopes high no matter how the season ends.

54. KojjaMo
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:30 am | Permalink

In the books Pyp was there to show how Jon’s leadership responsibilities alienate him from his friends. With Sam leaving for Oldtown, only Dolorous Edd will be left. I really hope he doesn’t die. To kill the wisecracker and the loveable oaf in one go would just be cruel. With a much smaller cast the show shouldn’t have to force in more deaths of supporting characters than the books.

55. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 2:12 am | Permalink

Arkash,

Listen to ‘Oathkeeper’, it is the song that will be used for Lady Stoneheart.

56. Polish
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 3:09 am | Permalink

Some Stannis / Jon / etc. wall exposition and post fight wrap-up

Tyrion escape from cell, talk with Jaime, Varys, killing his dad and Shae (btw — looks like theyre not going to explain Shae ending up w/ Tywin in show either. It just will be)

Danerys stuff, whatever it ends up being.

Qyburn and the Mountain have a confirmed scene

Brienne and Pod will have something — Brienne has yet to bite off anybody’s ear.

Arya and the Hound — somehow, their situation at the Bloody Gate has to be resolved, Hound has to die (or almost or whatever), and Arya has to have a goodbye, leave him and find a Braavosi boat (Braavosi captain confirmed role)

And then Bran, the children of the forest (Leaf confirmed) and the Three-Eyed Raven. And apparently the most expensive CGI shot ever, which is going to involve white walkers and everything going nuts, or something. Have to imagine this huuuge introduction will take a lot of time

But Gods its gonna be a great episode.

57. Unbowed Unbent UnHodor
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 3:50 am | Permalink

not sure if its been posted but the soundtrack is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd-RBTvLhI4

58. GaiusB
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 3:59 am | Permalink

I do not believe they would finish with Dany scene again and with very similar theme song. No reason to freak about it, Dany songs are always excellent so it is easy to imagine them being used for season ending.

I bet season finisher scene is LSH, song used for closing could be The North Remembers. Outkeeper could be used for the revelation, but The North Remembers is suitable to roll over credits.

59. jentario
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That sounds right! And the name is very appropriate especially if the scene is a meeting between two characters rather than the normal ASOS epilogue. I don’t remember that track from 404…

60. Patchy Face
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:10 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Did he binge watch – just curious how long it took him as I am planning a marathon of er watching all eps. Is he now another GoT junkie?

61. Patchy Face
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:13 am | Permalink

Arkash,

Don’t you think that theme could have something to do with Bran?

62. jentario
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Patchy Face,

I would bet on it.

63. King Stannis
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

I think track #13 is wrong. Sounds more like “The North Remembers” that tune played on season 2 episode 1 when Robb is setting camp and talks to Jaimie. Which I think will be used for Rickon or LS
    #14 fits more like “You are not my son” Tyrion
    #17 is for sure Jon and Ygritte
    #19 “He is lost” is Bran and WW
    #20. Is when Arya departures
    #21. Is Sansa
    #22. ?

64. Bob Miller
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:35 am | Permalink
  65. Carne
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Bob Miller,

Bit late there, bud ;)

66. cosca
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:09 am | Permalink

The North Remembers sounds a lot like the track that plays while Catelyn was giving her Jon monologue in Season 3.

67. cosca
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Forgive Me played during Jorah’s banishment scene

68. Arkash
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Bob Miller:
    Guess who’s popped up in this little snippet for upcoming episode – see 13 secs (bottom left)? http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones#/game-of-thrones/episodes/4/39-the-watchers-on-the-wall/video/preview.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

What shot are you talking about ? The mammoth in the forest ? The army of wildlings ? Thorne giving his speech ?

I see nothing new in these shots, personally.

69. Bob Miller
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Arkash,

Just me with a battle axe…har..har

70. Arkash
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Bob Miller,

Lucky bastard ! ;)

Must have been such an exhausting shooting !

I’ve worked on battle on screen, but it was always very low budget and no more than two / three days of shooting to get something passable.

This is on a such different scale ! I envy you to have had the opportunity to work around so many professionals and talented artists !

71. Greenjones
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Bob Miller,

It’s great that you’ve come by here. Would you answer us some production questions once the episode’s aired and the info you know no longer counts as spoilers?

72. Bob Miller
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Greenjones,

I’ll do my best once the UK showing is screened…and I dont do spoilers.

73. Josla
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Josla,

He’s shown in one of the trailers trying to fend off a giant in the tunnel.

I see… hopefully he’ll survive. They can’t kill every single character for God’s sake!!! I’m not sure but I think I saw more men in the tunnel as well. I’m holding my breath and praying the giant kills those and then Grenn kills him, unharmed… :'( I want to cry…

74. Carne
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Bob Miller,

Oh, though you meant the mammoth!

Would love some behind the scenes stories after the episode has aired.

75. jentario
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Carne,

Bob Miller is an Belfast extra on GoT, and he seems to say he took part in this episode as well.

76. jentario
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:37 am | Permalink

jentario,

Beaten by Bob.
    Any way, two days!

77. Ser Boom Boom
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Season 4 official Soundtrack preview and (official?) tracklist

78. Interior Bannisters
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I swear to god Oathkeeper sounds perfect for Lady Stoneheart. She don’t speak… but she remembers…. WHY IS EPISODE 10 2 WEEKS AWAY *cries*

79. jentario
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Interior Bannisters,

What else could it be? I have to watch episode 404 again just to make sure we haven’t heard the track yet. I’m fairly certain we haven’t, and that this is the one. HBO deceptively named it after episode 4 and shoved it into the middle of the track list, but that has to be the one.

80. HARmundGiantsbane
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 10:10 am | Permalink

HAR! My episode is going to be thrice the size of Blackwater!

81. Strider
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

HARmundGiantsbane:
    HAR! My episode is going to be thrice the size of Blackwater!

And that’s thrice Blackwater size, after they decided to cut half of the special effects! One can only assume how big your ep would have been originally.

Also:
    I LOVE YOU TORMUND GIANSBANE! (With all you titles included)

82. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Polish: And that’s not even to mention if there’s a Cersei scene (of course that could and probably will be the Qyburn Mountain scene) or some exposition about Oberyn’s death and Dorne. Or a Greyjoy scene fit in somewhere.

But Gods its gonna be a great episode.

There was a scene in the first trailer for this season, where Cersei says, “You’ll fight over him like beasts until you tear him apart. I will burn our house to the ground before I let that happen.” (presumably about Tommen)
    I don’t remember that happening at all yet, so that’ll probably be in episode 10 as well.

83. Lady Forlorn
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

That’s insane. Blackwater is my favorite episode of the whole show!

Turncloak:
    So my friend just saw the Blackwater episode. Here’s our convo.

Her: why do you like chp 9?
    Me: Episode 9 is the battle of Blackwater bay
    Her: Yea
    Me: It’s one of the best in the series. And it takes place all in one location.
    Me again: Great speech by Tyrion as well
    Her: They win
    Me: Really great performances all around
    Her: Yea I don’t like this episode

For fu** sake lol

84. Daniellica
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Polish: I think we’ll get LS, but not this season. Lena only recently posted that spoiler on instagram… about in the timeline with her getting scripts for next season. They’re supposed to begin filming soon. When you think about the sheer amount of stuff that has to happen in the finale (even with extended time), you just realize it isn’t possible

Some Stannis / Jon / etc. wall exposition and post fight wrap-up

Danerys stuff, whatever it ends up being.

Qyburn and the Mountain have a confirmed scene

But Gods its gonna be a great episode.

*brains explode*

85. Bard
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Polish:

Danerys stuff, whatever it ends up being.

The chaining of the dragons?

86. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 8, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Polish,
    Daniellica,

I swear if they have all that stuff in one episode, I’ll probably die of happiness. I just can’t imagine how they’re going to do it all though. But that’s why they’re the showrunners and I am a humble fan. These last two weeks are really dragging by…

87. James
    Posted June 8, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Im really excited to see if Melisandre will be making an appearance in this episode, seen as Stannis is gonna be there and we know from the books that she is going with him Theres a shot in one of this season trailers of her looking into the flames that we havent seen yet and she looks like shes at the wall Maybe it will have something o do with her storyline involving Shireen ??