Kit Harington says the Battle of Castle Black is “as big as TV goes”
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

All season long, Jon Snow has been warning Alliser Thorne that a Wildling army one hundred thousand strong is approaching Castle Black. Those warnings have fallen on deaf ears, while another band of Wildlings has been slicing a trail towards them from the South. But in Sunday’s new episode of Game of Thrones, “The Watchers on the Wall,” it’s all about to come to a head.

With an entire episode dedicated to the battle, we knew it was going to be big, but in a new interview with Access Hollywood, Kit Harington says that it’s as big as TV gets. “I think it’s as big as ‘Thrones’ has gone at the moment. I mean, I think it’s no secret that it’s the most expensive episode that they’ve ever made and a lot of that is due to the CGI. I haven’t seen any of that yet, obviously, so that’s going to be a new thing for me, but yeah, it’s pretty huge in scale. I think it’s as big as TV goes, and that was incredible to be one of the leading actors in that episode. I feel hugely privileged.”

Having just filmed ‘Pompeii,’ Kit says that his body was prepared for the physical demands of the intense filming schedule, but that mentally it was quite draining. By the end of a solid two weeks of night shoots, the cast and crew were left exhausted.

“You get into a very strange headspace when you’re doing that because you’re getting home at 6, 7 in the morning when it’s getting light and then you sleep all day. Humans aren’t nocturnal creatures, so we all got very disorientated and quite emotional by the end.”

If the episode is anything like episode nines we have seen in the past, we can look forward to feeling just as disoriented and emotional by its end.

For the full article visit Access Hollywood.

Can the Night's Watch defeat the Wildings? by winteriscoming

1. Braincandy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait!

2. Larry
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

A FULL episode!! Whoa…can’t wait!!

3. House Mormont
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Is the battle just over one day and night then?

4. Shock Me
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve been waiting since the Fist of the First Men and the retreat of the Halfhand’s scouting party for some of that desperate struggle at or beyond the Wall.

I’m hoping for something on the level of the attack on Helm’s Deep in the LOTR: The Two Towers.

Unlikely, but a fella can dream.

5. Mallister
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who, for once, am not particularly excited about an episode? A whole episode at the castle feels a bit like overkill. It was great with “Blackwater” because it still featured a ton of cool characters – Tyrion, the Hound, Bronn, Cersei, Sansa, Davos, Stannis, Joffrey…they were all there, but at the Wall…? Jon and Sam are the only “big” characters. But this can only mean I’ll probably be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully.

6. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

As big as it gets until the battle of Meereen, that is.

7. Tatters
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

Mance, Tormund, the Mannis?

8. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Mallister:

Let yourself be surprised, then. I think it’s going to be huge.

And the Helm’s Deep comparisons are hopefully spot-on. Helm’s Deep was fantastic in the movies; I only wish D&D had been able somehow to work Bernard Hill, who played Theoden, into the series. He’d be a perfect JonCon to be honest.

9. wizardeyes
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I have no idea how they’re going to be able to do the battle of Meereen. Unless they make it significantly smaller.

10. Tatters
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Hopefully! Time for my man the red lamb and ser grandfather. Also time. for tatters and the windblown to kick ass.

11. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

Spoilers, dumby. And mods, put spoilers over the whole thing, not just Stannis. Otherwise people would be expecting a surprise appearance.

12. King Stannis
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one…. Blah blah. I dislike when people start a comment that way.
    Anyway I’m super excited for this episode. It’s going to be amazing to see all the work they have made making this battle.

13. serum
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I’m wicked pumped! I think its gonna be fantastic! Kit’s remarks on budget have me hopeful for some mammoths!

14. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

it would be better if he would cut his curly emo hair and the half beard.

15. Igor Veloso
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

“Humans are not nocturnal creatures”? Choice is an illusion :(

16. Nicolai
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I hope Jon kills Ygritte or Alliser Thorne, and Jon see it. It’s a powerful scene if Jon kill her and everyone will be surprised. And Unsullied will think: “Did he just kill his one true love”.

17. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Mallister:

I think you’re forgetting that, before Blackwater, most of those characters were just in the background. By focusing all on one location, they spent more time on smaller characters like Lancel, the Hound, Bronn, Shae, etc. and got us to care about them. I think this episode will do the same thing for all the characters on the Wall. They even seemed to be laying the foundation last week with Jon and his friends.

18. Nicolai
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

serum,

They are in the trailer.

19. Moët
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    it would be better if he would cut his curly emo hair and the half beard.

BLASPHEMY!

20. chris
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

So episode 9 will be all Wall.
    Holy tofu! that leaves a veritable avalanche of shoes to drop in episode 10.
    Somehow, in the space of an hour it seems we’re to get at least
    Tyrion kills Tywin (and Shae) and escapes.
    We discover that the dragons enjoy dining on more than just sheep.
    The Hound “dies” and Arya takes a boat.
    And undead Catelyn appears.

That’s not just wrapping up things for next season, those are major game-changing plot pivot points!
    About the only biggies we’ve already hit are Littlefinger’s murder of Lysa, and Dany’s dismissal of Mormont.
    I’m sure plenty of people will be tuning in just to see what happens to Tyrion but… wow! That’s going to be one stupefying hour of TV!

21. serum
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Nicolai,

Really!?!?!?! I saw a giants legs but no mammoths! Time for a re-watch!

22. Ozymandias
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand how some people aren’t excited by this episode….

Getting something like this on Television is INSTANT EXCITEMENT even if you don’t really care about the NW.

23. Huck
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

I feel exactly the same. Even with Ygritte and Gilly in the mix, the constellation of characters just isn’t that interesting. Cersei thinking about killing her son is much more unique and powerful than someone nearly killing their former love interest.

I am really pumped for episode 10; and who knows, maybe episode 9 wins me over. I’ll definitely watch :)

24. Tatters
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

jentario,

What? Do the unsullied know who the mannis is? If not, they will know after this episode.

25. EverydayImHodoring
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

sorry for going off-topic, but can anyone explain Sansa Stark’s black outfit near the end of the last episode? I don’t know if it’s in the books or not, maybe it’s just a show thing, it looked like it was raven/crow inspired, like a female version of the Black Watch. Also she’s a lady of The Eyrie now I guess? So there’s the whole avian thing. It’s black because she’s gone to the dark side (but not necessarily evil). That’s all I got from it.

26. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

Yes, you’re the only one.

27. spacechampion
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

EverydayImHodoring:

The symbol of the Eyrie is the eagle. I think they were not raven feathers, but probably eagle feathers that got dyed when Sansa dyed the dress. It’s likely one of Lysa’s dresses, which Littlefinger would have given to Sansa. Usually in medieval times if a lady needs a mourning dress, they’d just take one of their good dresses and dip the whole thing in dye.

28. Ser Florian
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

EverydayImHodoring,

I’ll spoiler this, just in case… In the books, she’s presented round the Eyrie as Baelish’s natural born/bastard daughter. In the show that’s changed to his niece. In the books, she dies her hair as soon as she arrives, and plays the role of Alayne Stone as soon as she gets off the boat with Petyr. In the show, she wasn’t disguised from the off, probably because in the Eyrie her Aunt and Baelish are ‘secure’ and it’s unlikely a servant might go questioning her identity or recognise her as Sansa Stark (and so they can have a reveal like the one in the show just been). But, now that they’re leaving the Eyrie in the show, to tour round the Vale, she needs the disguise as Baelish’s niece. Hence, the dark hair, and the dress which, if I’m not mistaken, is evoking the Mockingbird of House Baelish. I’m sure there’s a lot more to it than just that… Sansa’s nickname of “Little Bird”, all the times she was called “Little Dove” or similar.

29. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Nicolai,

Nonononono, it’s so much more powerful and realistic for him to find her like he did in the books dying. It will be way to cliche to have him kill her. It’s what people are expecting and is just too obvious.

30. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

spoiler tags man

31. Huck
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Ramsayreek:
    Mallister,

Yes, you’re the only one.

No, he/she isn’t.

32. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

EverydayImHodoring,

Eyrie clothing (resembles feathers). Just like Blackfish’s armor resembled fish scales and Oberyn’s armor resembled snake skin.

It was also all black because she wants to show the other Lords that she is in mourning for her dead Aunt Lysa.

33. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: The symbol of the Eyrie is the eagle.I think they were not raven feathers, but probably eagle feathers that got dyed when Sansa dyed the dress.It’s likely one of Lysa’s dresses, which Littlefinger would have given to Sansa.Usually in medieval times if a lady needs a mourning dress, they’d just take one of their good dresses and dip the whole thing in dye.

Not an eagle, a Falcon.

34. Beronn Stark
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

In that french preview:

Careful, it’s a little bit spoilery for both sullied and unsullied.

we can see a few exclusive content. And we have the proof we’ll be seing mammoths !!!

35. Dragonslayer
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

It’s time for a Blackwater rewatch.

36. Nicolai
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

serum,

A picture to explain it: http://imgur.com/Q39yH9u

37. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Nicolai,

I was more drawn to that McMountain mash-up. Tooooooooo FUNNY & the comments are even better :D!

38. serum
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Nicolai,

oh damn, I see it now and the french preview confirms, thanks!

39. mal
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Mallister:

agree. also, many Unsullied friends not to invested, hoping Jon lives but most are sure he will.
    I’ll watch it when it’s available on HBO Go like all the other eps, but maybe because I don’t watch GOT for the action.

40. jwal
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for this episode only to get closer to the finale. But dreading the finale because….1 year till season 5! :(

41. The Loon
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

big spoiler you’ll get Stannis in this battle as well

42. Nicolai
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Ramsayreek,

At least, let a person we know kill her, so we can hate him.

43. EverydayImHodoring
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

thanks everyone who responded to my post. Most enlightening!

44. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

It’ll certainly drain a lot of the budget from season 6 (or 5, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be early in season 6.) They’ll probably change it to night, just as in Blakcwater, so that it’s not so expensive or the not-so-expensive CGI doesn’t look so bad. It’s doable. Will it be toned down? Well, yeah, I’m sure. But it’ll be mighty impressive for a TV show if they make it half as grand as it is shaping up to be in the books.

45. zod
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Nicolai,

It’s obvious that the little boy will kill her.

46. Daemon
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’ve been slightly worried about Unsullied being not so concerned about the characters at the Wall, but a full hour (or so) is about what the main plot point would get in 3-4 different episodes, so I do think by the end people will be caring- have to imagine there will be some buildup. I can’t see it having quite the emotional attachment of Blackwater. I just hope for two things as far as buildup 1) they play up how fucked everyone is if the wildlings win, 2)they play up how low the NW odds are either at the start or as the battle rages on, to drive home the point of how much Stannis saved them.

47. KojjaMo
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Ygritte will be killed by the boy whose father she murdered during the farm raid. That scene was even included as part of the episode 9 recap.

48. Koen Stark
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

As unsullied I love the wall storyline. So I’m really looking forward to this episode.
    We’re finally getting another battle onscreen!!! I mean this is still EPIC fantasy.

49. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve been resisting that French trailer. Can’t wait to see the mammoths. I just want to be surprised by how they look.

Kind off topic, but I don’t suppose there’s any chance the finale won’t have a Dany scene? Jorah’s departure was a really good end point IMO.

I’d like to see the finale just focus on
    - Kings Landing
    - Arya/Hound
    - Wall
    - Brienne/Pod
    - Bran

The other stories are at good stopping points.

I somehow doubt they’ll cut Dany out of the finale though. I suppose we’ll get charred child bones and dragon chaining, but I’d like those saved for next season.

50. clegane
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I kinda wish though the battle happened in daylight.
    yeah I know it makes more sense at night, but I would much rather look at the nice battle scenes well-lit instead of watching occasional movements in darkness for an hour.

51. Mimsy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

*casually rocking back in chair*

Hmm.. let’s see if HBO has the cash to WOW me.

…i might not be so hard to please cuz i can view stills of jon’s curly locks bouncing around his perfect face as he fights the bad guys.. all.day.long.

but.. yes… *popping bubblegum* ..WOW me HBO

52. jwal
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

zod,

and Jon will know it but harbor no hard feelings. Boy will probably be his steward. A friend made an out there prediction that Ygritte will take Val’s place somehow and the boy will be on the Jon’s betrayers ala Dance. seriously doubt it, but still intriguing. Wonder when Jon’s “death” will be. End of season 5? /b>

53. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

clegane,

The CGI would look like shit. Either that, or they would have to double the budget to make it halfway decent looking. I’d rather have it at night and not see everything than see everything and it looking bad.

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

The last episode will be the longest ever, running at 66 minutes, so I wouldn’t worry too much. And yeah, Dany still has some things left.

54. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Shock Me:

Oh, dear. That brought tears to these poor eyes : “Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn!”

55. cold feet
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

You clearly haven’t read the book.

56. enea
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Mallister,

Jon, Sam, and *SPOILER* XD

57. Hexonx
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: I wonder how much of the episode will be actual battle? An hour long fight could get a bit dull. I hope it’s structured like Blackwater with lots of time devoted to character moments.

D&D said it is pretty much non-stop action starting about 15 minutes in.

58. Hexonx
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Hexonx:D&D said it is pretty much non-stop action starting about 15 minutes in.

Also, I don’t blame you for not wanting to watch the French promo but based on that it’s not going to be dull at all. That promo definately hypes the ep better than the US promo.

59. Fancy word for a sellsword
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: I somehow doubt they’ll cut Dany out of the finale though. I suppose we’ll get _______ and _________, but I’d like those saved for next season

They might save it for next season. I’ve heard the vibe of the finale one of hope. Dragons killing children isn’t very opimistic.

60. pntrlqst
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Beronn Stark,

What is that orc looking thing at 48 seconds?

61. Luka Nieto Garay
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:16 am | Permalink

pntrlqst,

It’s a giant. We saw them already in Season 3. It looks nothing like any orc I’ve seen.

62. TorbofThrones
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Guys! Just found a little spoiler for ep 10 in the new interview with Anthony Lesser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Qx10IuKLs
    He says that he will be having another scene in episode 10, something with the Mountain. He also says he will have 5 eps in the next season, and will probably do something nasty. So it looks like they are going after the book on this, and that we will be seeing some of the Mountain in ep 10.

63. Ser Boom Boom
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Season 4 official Soundtrack preview and (official?) tracklist

64. John Stockton
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Its only getting better and better .. The Game of Thrones Helms Deep episode

65. Caliope
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Kit Harington is Awesome! I can’t wait!

66. Nicolai
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Ramsayreek,

We see, from Ygrittes perspective who kills her, and Jon find her dying.

67. Phil
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

What worries me is not a whole episode just being the battle, but that in the book the battle is not long large but takes place over DAYS, with small skirmishes. First is Giantsbane and Ygritte attacking from the south, and then is Mace’s army. There’s a lot of parts to the battles; the stair collapsing, the turtle, Jon being put in charge. Then there’s the whole break while Jon is dealing with Alister Thorne. And then there’s Stannis’ arrival. But this all takes place over a long time, and becasue of the way the book is presented, you feel the weight of the battle, the toll it’s taking becasue of the length as well as how large the battle is.

I sort of wish it had been spread out over two episodes, inter-spaced with other events in Westeros, but in the end the battle would add up to 50 mins worth of show, and in the third episode would be Jon dealing with Thorne, and then finally Stannis’ arrival.

One whole episode is enough to show how epic the battle is, but I’m not sure how they are going to convey the weight of the battle and the toll it takes on the Night’s Watch

68. Daniellica
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I just had a thought.

One of the major problems that occur in ASoIaF/GoT is this giant threat advancing from the North, a massive Wildling army and the White Walkers, but the rest of the realm is so focused on its petty bullshit that it is ignored or dismissed outright. Out of sight out of mind, for one, and the false comfort that comes from thousands of years of the Wall’s security.

Likewise, the show has kept the Wall from us this season–not completely, of course, but it has been mimicking what most of the realm is doing, which is concerning itself with the crap people think is important, while in, err, reality, their entire world is at stake. So now we approach this episode, wholly concerned with the Wall, and many Unsullied viewers feel it is relatively unimportant and want to keep investing in the trivial fortunes of individuals, just as most of the characters in the series.

Even if this is not intentional by the writers, it is an interesting parallel.

But I also think they’ll spend the first quarter of the episode helping to build things up again, to reengage the audience, to set the stakes.

And:

Fallen on deaf ears? How so? Just because Thorne doesn’t agree with Jon’s strategies doesn’t mean he hasn’t taken the threat seriously and begun the preparations he felt were necessary. If he did not take the threat seriously, he likely would have sent the ranging south to deal with the Wildling attacks, but he agreed with Jon that they must maintain what little strength they had at the Wall for the conflict to come. He is also heard discussing some of the preparations before disagreeing with Jon about sealing the tunnel. That’s just off the top of my head, but saying Thorne hasn’t listened to Jon’s warnings is simply untrue.

btw Neil Marshall is going to kick this episode’s arse so hardcore. Yehooowww!!