Video roundup: Season 4, Episode 8, “The Mountain and the Viper”
By Bex on in Recap.

It’s been another eventful week on Game of Thrones and with the shocking trial by combat the reactions were sure to be lively, unlike certain Martells. Here are this week’s particularly entertaining recaps, reviews and commentary.

Missing the recorded schadenfreude from the Red Wedding? Here’s a live reaction video from What the Flick.

Live reactions rarely disappoint.

Read the books:

ComicBookGirl commends TPTB for the way the duel was handled

Ozzy Man gives us a cheer (thanks!) and mourns Oberyn. Also, an alternate version of the final scene.

Emergency Awesome bringing you the top WTF moments, particularly relevant this week

History of Westeros talks episode 8 with spoilers at the end. Speak briefly about George’s appearance at Con Carolinas.

Sawyer represents for all the book fans who were not prepared

Joanie and Zuzu of Game of Thongs recap and review episode 8

Combination Panels:

SourceFed discusses the episode. Though there are two Unsullied, apparently there was a book spoiler a couple of weeks back, so watch at your own risk!

Kenny’s baaaack to help Sandrine deal with episode 8 on HappyCool (when canon strikes)

What the Flick?!? delves into episode 8 after the shock wears off (do they usually watch the show together? If not, surely they must have known something was up)

Total Film shares Sophie Turner’s wish for a dramatic death scene. Apparently Nikolaj and Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) are friends! Popular Greyjoy Fan Cast Mads said he’d be up for a cameo…

ThinkHero talk about the soul-crushing final scene and praise Pedro for his performance

Unsullied:

Game of Thrones dynamic duo Byron and Dino post another thorough rehash of ep 8

Larry of Otaku hated this episode

Gay of Thrones discussed Episode 8 with who, if I’m not mistaken, is Dawn from the British Office? (and Shaun of the Dead, obviously)

I like how many of the videos pointed out that even book readers had something to be shocked about by the Viper/Mountain duel. Even though the majority of the scene was basically lifted from the pages of ASOS, the end was certainly gruesome. Will the last two episodes stack up for our video reviewers? Time will tell.

Winter is Coming Live, The Mountain and The… by winteriscoming

1. Ser Cyrus
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Chodor

2. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:04 am | Permalink

STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!!!
    Hodor

3. Soopa Doop
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I think “What The Flick” has been watching the episodes together and then immediately doing their reviews. They have been doing this since the season premiere. I think they do a live stream during the episode on their website.

4. Hollyoak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

I’m not even really looking forward to the battle at the wall stuff. I hope there’s more to look forward to in these last two episodes.

We’ve seen battles a hundred times. It’ll bore me. I’m not a fan of big battles.

5. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Hollyoak,

This is hilarious because I was texting my friend as she watched episode 7 & 8 of season 2. These were her words;

“I hate when they talk slow”
    “With slow stories”
    “Makes me sleepy”

To each their own I guess

6. Sansa's Knight Oberyn's Whore No More
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

ok so i guess this is the final stoneheart confirmation … can some1 please check and let me know cuz i dont use twitter but apparently lena tweeted this amazing spoiler of stones in the shape of a heart

7. Leathra
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Nostalgia Chick and Todd in the Shadows’ review is up! (combo) http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/game-of-thrones/43578-game-of-thrones-s4e8

8. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink

I always love the Gay of Thrones recaps, though I’ve only found half the videos for this season on YouTube so I should check out the rest on FOD.

9. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Sansa’s Knight Oberyn’s Whore No More,

Just checked Lena’s Instagram profile and yes she posted a pic of rocks making a heart shape. Her caption is “my stone heart”

10. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Here’s the pic of Lena’s Lady Stoneheart spoiler

11. queenofthorns
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

<3 lena, such a troll.

12. Hollyoak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Hollyoak,

“I hate when they talk slow”
    “With slow stories”
    “Makes me sleepy”

To each their own I guess

That’s so true, Turncloak. The parts I liked most about Blackwater were Stannis and Davos on the ship headed into Kings Landing, Cersei and Tommen, Joffrey and the Hound conversation. The actual battle? Too dark, screaming, running, a few close-ups of heads getting smashed, etc.

I always find the quieter character moments more thrilling.

13. OldeCrone
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

If anybody is interested in speculation as to possible real historical inspirations for “Game of Thrones” story-lines this is quite a nice website http://http://history-behind-game-of-thrones.com/

But please note is is SOLELY about possible historical inspiration – not for fan-art, fan-casting, complaining about the series etc, for those better stick to Westeros.org.

14. Kevin Lannister
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

So hyped for next episode

15. Jared
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Yeah, the What the Flick crew has been watching the show together live together all season and then taping their thoughts on it immediately after. I’ve been trying to locate the live streams of their watch parties (mainly to see Cenk’s reactions to things like Joffrey’s death), but I haven’t been able to find them. Glad that they decided to post this one.

So Larry Williams hated this episode. I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell you! After last year, I swore off Williams’ “reviews” because they had devolved into a comical parade of misunderstandings wrapped in a hefty dose of ill-conceived and indiscriminate anger. And it seemed like he was done with the show as well, so it was a clean break for all involved. But someone I trust swore to me that the guy had calmed down, so I cautiously gave him one more look. And they were right – he seemed to have developed a greater capacity to take things in stride. His takes weren’t exactly informative, but they were at least watchable

And then this week happened. Oh boy. That he could misunderstand the nature of Arya’s laugh so completely and simultaneously take such ridiculously overblown offense at it cemented once and for all that the man just doesn’t have a clue.

His rant at the end (concluding with the ever-so-eloquent declaration “I hate this ****ing show”) reaffirms yet again that he’s got an ideal vision of what this story should be dancing around in his mind, and that version stands in direct opposition to what the show actually is. Whenever the show strays away from that script, he gets petulant, and anytime the show does something good, he can’t appreciate it because he’s still gnawing on the thing that pissed him off.

I hope that after this season ends, the man does stop reviewing the show, because he’s contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation and it’s clearly making him miserable. As for me, I’ve learned my lesson: never again. There are far too many intelligent, insightful funny recaps out there by people who actually like and understand Game of Thrones to waster my time on someone who doesn’t understand it and is too enmeshed in his own preconceived biases to try.

16. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Here’s the pic of Lena’s Lady Stoneheart spoiler

O. M. G.! I LOVE IT! Thanks for posting.

She’s such a teaser for book readers lol. She did the eye poking thing for Pedro, this for LS. I wonder what will be next. Obviously, one must needs follow her instagram acc! Obviously. Onward then…

17. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Strider,

Yup I just started following her on Instagram :). She is awesome

18. Joshua Atreides
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Jared,

My settlements exactly. And it hurts me to say this but as I’ve always looked down on Larry’s reviews, I never would have thought that I would becomparing them alongside the former TWOP Unsullied/Previously.tv UnSullied’s recent comments. After such incisive speculation and character assessments over the past three years, something must have snapped in them after the Red Wedding and now it’s exactly like Williams. They are allowing their emotional investment and personal script for the series to overrun their patience and logic at times.
    I sympathize that Pedro crushed the role so much that his death was a strong blow to the unsullied, but many seem to be taking this way to hard. More than Ned, more than the Red Wedding.
    It may just be a way to alienate themselves for how upset the story made them but I don’t know…I think the tide has turned and the backlash has begun.
    I hope not.

19. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Cover your spoilers, people.

As for some sort of backlash, I don’t know why you’re paying so much attention to the TWOPers. It’s one group, and the show’s ratings are stronger every single week, with every new terrible thing that happens. People may moan about a beloved character dying, sure. But then they keep watching and talking about the show anyway. Because the bad guys get killed too. GoT/ASOIAF is equal that way.

20. Drogo
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

i was trying re watching episode 8 but i just can’t deal with the fight of the mountain vs the viper
    that scene is just to brutal
    ffs
    i hope they make it for it
    en whatsup with Lena dropping spoilers
    but i must say its good to know that Lady Stoneheart is coming

21. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Sansa's Knight Oberyn's Whore No More,

This has existed for weeks! How did all of you miss it?

22. Eddard Stark II
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Soopa Doop,

Yeah because last year it would take days for a recap to go up.

23. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Drogo,

You know what else drops spoilers? A Storm of Swords.

Never understood why anyone thought that bit was going to be cut.

24. Joshua Atreides
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Yeah I don’t know why it bothers me so much. I just loved reading their comments and maybe I should have seen the writing on the wall with them way back. It was the assumption they would be a bit mature in their viewing like? My mistake I guess.

I’m also noticing a lot of antipathy towards Ep 9. I just feel like I’m quite alone on enjoying this season on this board and on the internet in general.

25. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Off Topic: I’m so sorry. But sometimes something seems to be wrong with the mobile version of the site. I try to edit the spoiler tags after, and won’t let me. Also when I type the cursor jumps all over the comment and I find myself typing in the middle of my comment somehow. Backspace delete does the same. Maybe is a temporary thing. Again, I apologize.

26. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Don’t miss What the Flick’s continuation of the episode discussion. Apparently Steve Oh also had to chime in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQgZRiy9eFs

27. The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Jared,

It’s more than that, though. He has this idyllic idea of what real life is actually like. He’s yammering about how he can’t stand the cynicism and it’s so stupid. One of the main reasons people love GoT is because it’s realistic. There is no sweeping hero who’s immune to harm because he’s the main character. That’s not how life works. LW keeps looking for that hero and then gets angry when that hero dies. It’s so ridiculous.

And then, to top it off, he keeps relating the characters back to himself. As if who he is has any degree of similarity or relation to what the characters are going through. His whole piss-rant about Arya’s life was painful to watch. I’ve never seen such a grandiose misunderstanding of basic character work.

28. The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I don’t think anyone thought it was gonna be cut. It’s just that no one was sure which season it was happening. I expected it last season but it didn’t happen. This possible fight between Brienne & the Hound made me think it wasn’t happening this season either. But, if it is, so much the better :D

BTW What is TWOP?

29. Valaquen
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Jared:

He pretty much admitted in the first review of this season that he’s only continuing because his videos got a lot of views, ie: it gets him attention. Doesn’t come off as passion, to me. I love watching What the Flick, though they should seriously rewatch some of the older episodes to brush up on some details.

30. The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I don’t think people thought it would be cut. They just weren’t sure which season it would be in. This whole rumour about Brienne vs The Hound had me thinking it wouldn’t be in this season either.

BTW What’s TWOP?

31. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Sry didn’t think that posting the name Lady Stoneheartwas a spoiler because the name was never mentioned in the books. But I guess an unsullied can do a google search on the name and get themselves spoiled :/.

32. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind,

TWOP stands for ‘Television Without Pity’, now ‘Previously.tv’. It is a popular message board for non-book readers who analyze the show based only on what they see during the episodes. They don’t watch any trailers or previews and they don’t read any wiki’s about the series. The term ‘Unsullied’ being used to describe non-book readers originated on that forum. For the most part, especially up until the Red Wedding, it was a very enjoyable read. It still is, when they decide to stop bitching about how dark the series is, or how boring Stannis(“Stannis BOREatheon”) and Jon(“Jon Snore”) are. Or how ridiculous the necklace/poison plot was. I am at the point where I ‘hate-read’ the message board like some of them seem to ‘hate-watch’ the show. I already know how a few of them will react to the finale(especially StillShimpy), and that will be to hate Tyrion for killing their precious Shae, who, inexplicably, is one of their favorite characters.

33. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I’ve seen countless posts over the last couple years speculating just that, that LS would be cut completely because it was “stupid,” etc.

Turncloak,

The name is in the books.

34. The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I don’t mean to sound all Westeros.org but I think a nice dose of Tyrion-hate would do some good. They’ve done a lot to whiet-wash Tyrion and give off the idea that he’s the white knight who would never kill someone(I think I remember Bronn saying as much when he was guilt-tripping Jaime into visiting him). Tyrion’s obviously a good person but I’m hoping they include the vicious streak he acquires in DwD. I always liked that about him.

35. The Ghost of Nymeria, of House Shaggydog, Breaker of Summer and Lady of the Grey Wind
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

LOL What? LS is amazing. I can’t wait to see how she features into the rest of the story. And it’s an excellent way to keep BwB & the Riverlands in the plot, as they would otherwise kind of have dropped away after book 3, which would have been a pity IMO. Plus, the more Michelle Fairley on my TV screen, the better :D

36. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I agree, but some of these people won’t look at it as an interesting character development, they will see it as, ‘Great, now there is one less character to actually like and root for’.

37. spacechampion
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

What the Flick thought the episode was worthy of additional comment, so they have to put out a second review video.

38. KG
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Yeah … it takes a while, but – as time passes – you realize his apparent naiveté is actually stupidity. He clearly read a book once on “story construction” and believes he is quite the expert.

“I am going to make a wild guess as to why something just happened, and when I am clearly wrong, I will blame the writing staff for being talentless hacks.”

Jared:

39. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I should have my video recap/review for “The Mountain and the Viper” done by tomorrow! I always post on my blog at: http://drangedinaz.wordpress.com/

40. Tom
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Hey, just letting you guys know that this season What The Flick?! have been watching the show together and streaming it live, then doing their review immediately after.

41. Trav
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Love the reviews shows for GoT. So many good ones. What The Flick, ComicBookGirl19, Schmoes Know, Game Of Owns, Total Film, Shooting The Shit. Emmighty Sophia can be pretty good too

And I LOVE the major backlash Larry Williams has been taking this week. It’s so well deserved. I’ve ALWAYS treated his review like a trainwreck. I watch it, because I want to see what stupid things fall out of his head each week. Others say they like how opinionated and passionate he is, etc. etc. But I never got that. He seems like someone who just has a really inflated opinion of himself, and how much he knows about the art of storytelling, with pretty much zero merit behind it. And he proves to me every week that he’s a not very bright and thinks like a child

This week he went full on retard and lost a lot of support. To which I say it’s about time. He doesn’t like the story, his insights suck, he gets caught up on all the wrong details, and he frankly doesn’t get the show, yet he keeps it up every week, strictly for views on his stupid channel. I’ve grown tired of his act. Even the trainwreck allure has faded. Go away Larry. I hope he doesn’t watch the next two episodes. He doesn’t deserve to enjoy the awesomeness that a bookreader like myself knows is about to unfold these next two weeks

Everyone is going to LOVE these next two episodes. I just know it………well except for Elio and Linda from Westeros.org. Those two joyless, wet blankets. It’s one thing to be hyper-critical, but they take it to a level that has me firmly SURE that back when the show started, they expected to be hired by Benoif and Weiss to be advisors, because they know so much about the history and the characters etc. And when they weren’t they decided to do an endless string of hatchet jobs on the show. Turning nitpicks in to MAJOR issues. And treating scenes that 99% of us thought were excellent, as if they were written and directed by Tommy Wiseau. Screw them and screw Larry

I can handle criticism of the show, hell I have some of my own, but it has to make sense. There’s a reason this show gets mostly positive reactions. And that’s because it fricken DESERVES it. It’s an amazing, once in a lifetime narrative and the review shows…the ones that are worth a crap anyway, help me soak in every drop I can. And so does a website like this. Keep up the epic work

42. Immi
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Just a heads up for the Funny or Die link, her name is Lucy Davis and she played Dawn in The Office. Nice to see her pop up again!

43. Felt Pelt
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Watching Larry’s reviews when they’re so crazily angry make me want to give him a hug. He seems prone to agitation, and the reasons for his rants are so small. Arya’s laughter, as said above, led to a discussion of respect for dead relatives he hadn’t met? Bizarre. I just think of him alone in front of his yellow bare wall ranting about a television show into a computer and it makes me worry the guy is full of pent-up rage and his only support system is a youtube channel.

I don’t like the California DJ style of presentation, but I enjoy Afterbuzz TV’s reviews (four rotating book/unsullied) in addition to almost every one posted here. What The Flick is currently king along with Dino/Byron, Comic Book Girl 19, and David Chen and Joanna at Slashfilm. SourceFed is growing on me, although they also have a DJ-affected style of presentation, two of the hosts mugging and yelling a lot. But the third host seemed believably and loveably down about the Red Viper.

44. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink

CBG19 rocks! I loved her reaction to the episode and especially her 30+ “fuck, fuck, fucks!” regarding the RV duel. Comparing the fatal flaws of the RV and Ned Stark was brilliant. Both of them just couldn’t let it go…and took it too far without anticipating the worst case….poor Ned, poor Oberyn! Damn, woman! So true!

See Sansa become the dark mistress! Missandei-Worm! And CBG19 didn’t diss the beetles monologue. Totally cool woman! It’s also awesome how she uses the maps too. And she touches on the book differences excellently.

(Does anyone else notice how gorgeous her eyes are?)

Loved the cat dance too!

45. Joshua Atreides
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Read Gingerella’s latest post on previously.tv She created a whole topic entitled “GRRM: Epic Story Teller or Social Outcast Loser”. Idiot. All because she had the hots for Oberyn probably. Oh how that board has fallen.

46. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

I almost wish there was an ignore feature on that website. ‘stillshimpy’ and ‘gingerella’ would be the first ones on it. I can already tell most of them aren’t even going to give the next episode or the future Stannis/Jon storyline a chance. And they are going to call BS on Shae sleeping with Tywin, and obsess over how unbelievable it was. As for Oberyn, you would think he was on the show from the start. And since they loved his character and Jaqen’s and other one season arc’s so much, maybe they would have hope that more cool characters would be introduced in future seasons. I already know they are going to love the Sand Snakes.

47. don't call it a comeback
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

afterbuzz has some pretty good recaps. I’ve just started watching them.

48. SiamKor
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Regarding What the Flick? (I love live reactions, BTW!)… the guy on the left is Team Stark, the girl is Team Targaryen, the guy on her right is Team Lannister, so that makes the guy on the right… what? Is that a Team Tyrell shirt? :)

49. KG
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 5:26 am | Permalink

TWOP banned me for life because in one non-reader thread, four people were asking just exactly WHAT “grog” is, and I dared post an answer.

So a post about an entirely non GoT-related topic, that helpfully answered several readers’ question, got me banned because in another thread I had admitted to reading the books.

That’s when I said “Oh &#(*& this site and these people.” TWOP and Westeros.org are two of the main reasons I despise fanboyism so very much.

Tyrion Pimpslap:

50. Matt N
    Posted June 8, 2014 at 5:21 am | Permalink

I secretly filmed my housemate’s reactions to the end of this episode and they literally just sat there, no expression, no reaction. Episode ended and they got on with whatever it was they were doing before. I don’t know what’s wrong with them. So disappointing.