Hannah Murray on Sam and Gilly’s first kiss, and going off-book
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

In last week’s episode of Game of Thrones, we learned that Gilly had in fact survived the attack on Mole’s Town, and after Sam got Pyp to open the f-ing gate, she was safe inside the walls (and pantry) of Castle Black. Having just been reunited, Gilly was reluctant to let Sam leave her again. While Sam quickly explained that he had to fulfill his duties and fight alongside his brothers, he did leave her with two things: a promise to survive, and a kiss.

Hannah Murray spoke with Making Game of Thrones this week to share her thoughts on Sam and Gilly’s kiss, whether or not Gilly is in love with Sam, and the bond that connects the two characters.

What was your reaction when you first read the scene where Sam and Gilly kiss?
I thought, “They’re really letting Sam be the hero.” I love the way that’s been building up from the point when he kills the White Walker. I also really enjoy the comedy of Sam and Gilly. I love how right before he kisses her for the first time, she’s telling him that he’s rubbish.

Is Gilly in love with Sam?
She can tell that the kiss is an expression of love from him. She knows that he loves her and she definitely loves him, but she’s not someone who can process her emotions very well or has a sophisticated language for them. I’ve thought for a long time that they are like this little, unconventional family. He loves the baby as much as she does. John [Bradley] has said, “Sam couldn’t love it any more if it was his own.”

What was it like filming Gilly and Sam’s first kiss?
John was like, “You’re not giving me very much back.” And I told him it’s wasn’t a personal thing, it was a character choice. I felt that Gilly has never been kissed before, and she probably doesn’t even really know what kissing is.

What connects Gilly and Sam?
A big thing that connects them is having horrible fathers. We haven’t seen Sam’s father, but we know about that in a different way from Gilly, Sam was abused as well. In Season 2 when John and I were filming the thimble scene [where Sam gives Gilly his mother’s thimble], [director] Alik Sakharov said this beautiful thing to us: “You’re like two birds with broken wings, and when they come together there’s the possibility for the first time that they can fly.”

They’re two people who have come from horrible places, but because they both have this brokenness, they’re able to give each other what they’re missing.

Hannah also spoke with Vulture this week about getting to film a scene with Rose Leslie’s Ygritte, the excitement of going off-book, and filming the intricate Mole’s Town sequence that opened episode eight.

Even though you’ve shot big scenes at Craster’s Keep, Mole’s Town, and Castle Black, Gilly doesn’t get to interact with that many other characters other than Sam …
[Showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] took me aside and they said, “We’ve written a scene for you. You’re going to have a scene with a character you never would have guessed you’d have a scene with.” And that was the scene with Ygritte! And it’s really exciting for us as actors when you’re like, I’ve gone off-book! I’m off-book! It’s like this uncharted territory where anything could happen. [Laughs] And everything for me this year was off-book. Season three was quite close, because there were scenes that I could read in the novels, and then when I saw them in the script, I understood where they had been taken from. But this time around, it was a lot of David and Dan’s own direction to take. So that’s been exciting.

You know in the Mole’s Town sequence, that was all one shot? Up until you hear the owl hooting. So that was tricky to get right for a lot of different reasons — belching a song just being one of them. I wouldn’t be able to do that, not to a tune. I think doing that on demand in general is tricky! And she had to go from a huge party scene, and then come into the thing with me, and be really quiet and intense. And that was all completely contained, the way they filmed it. Alex Graves was the one who directed that, and I think he wanted to bring a bit of West Wing to how we did it, with the long take. And that was his way of letting you know something was wrong.

For more from Hannah visit Making Game of Thrones and Vulture for the full interviews.

Is Sam Strong Enough To Lead The Night's Watch? by winteriscoming

1. The Watcher
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Baby Sam!

2. Nonsense
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:13 am | Permalink

A very sweet scene, it made me smile. I hope these characters stay together and I wish them the best, they certainly deserve it, considering what they’ve been through.

3. Veltigar
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:14 am | Permalink

When the writers gave her that script she should have given them this advice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

[Repeated line]
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Damn! We’re in a tight spot! Let’s cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron to save us

4. jentario
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Gilly had sex with Slynt during the battle btw

5. Turncloak
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

jentario,

Lol wut?

6. Patchy Face
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Off topic, I know – but are we getting curtain calls for Pyp and Grenn?

7. Phil
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Patchy Face,

Did they even do a curtain call for Pedro? Or do the curtain calls not “apply” to 1-season guest stars?

8. jentario
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Phil,

They did one for Pedro.
    They didn’t for Ser Dontos.
    They should do one for the Thenns and the Night’s Watchmen in episode 9.

9. Zack
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I love Hannah Murray as Gilly. Love love love love love

She’s got some great insights into the relationships of the show. Can’t wait to see how things develop further!

10. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

The belching thing really brought out that if they’re going to keep referencing music they need to add in a couple more songs.

And yes, a combined curtain call for Mark Stanley, Josef Atlin and Yuri Kolokolnikov would be warranted.

And Ser Dontos! Ok, I’m letting it go. Not really. :(

11. 123
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

The GoT effect, i’ve been keeping up to date with news from e3 and was delighted to discover Charles Dance will be voice acting a character in the upcoming fantasy game Witcher 3 and that Peter Dinklage will be voicing a character (and narrating it seems) in the sic-fi game Destiny.

12. Arkash
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I loved the long-shot at Mole’s Town ! It must have been quite tricky to achieve, indeed !

13. Patchy Face
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

123,

What platforms will Witcher 3 be on? Great about PDink – his voice is fantastic!

I know that someday I will not have to log in every single time I want to comment!

14. Joh
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I loved this interview! Hannah Murray seems like such a lovely person.

She really seems caught up in the characters and the story. It comes across how badly she wants to bring Gilly to life and make her authentic and give her real depth. I look forward to seeing Hannah’s future work as an actress.

15. feyrband
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face,

PC, PS4, XBox One

16. MX
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Even though I generally enjoy the interactions between Sam and Gilly, there was a scene early in the season which irritated me, because she sounded like an American school-girl (An empty sentence, perhaps something like “And what are saying?” with a pouting mouth; really out of character).

It must have been either the script or just a momentary fluke, because she was really fine for the rest of the season, and from these interviews she seems to be among the most thoughtful and engaged actors on the show.

I do hope she and Sam remain together, as a little, wonderfully dysfunctional family.

“You’re like two birds with broken wings…”

17. SillyMammo
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I read a comment somewhere that Sam forced poor Gilly to kiss him. “What else could she do but let him kiss her or be forced out of the fort? SMH

18. sjwenings
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Makes sense that Gilly was so inexperienced, but I didn’t see it that way, when watching the ep for the first time, I thought of Hannah not kissing him for real, rather than Gilly.

19. ash
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I dunno,maybe its my experience working with victims of crime, but with the kind of trauma Gilly has had, I wouldn’t have been surprised if she screamed and hit him over the head with a lamb bone. Its testament to the trust she has in him now that she allowed it. Plus I agree – Im not sure the character understands what a kiss is. And I loved how Hannah answered John; thats exactly how Gilly would have responded – hesitantly, testing the waters so to speak.

I love reading these interviews, esp ones that ask intelligent questions. Once again I am pleasantly surprised by how smart and well spoken all of these actors are, and how well they know their characters. Not sure if its because of the casting process, or the direction, or their own skills (probably a combination) but it pleases me to no end. Looking forward to seeing where and how Sam and Gilly continue this journey. I hope that at the end its happiness for both of them (yes once a romantic, always a romantic, even in this cynical old heart!)

20. MustHaveTheGreyjoyUncles
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I DEMAND A CURTAIN CALL FOR GRENN AND PYP! :) THEY HELD THE GATE! :(

21. House Poole
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I still can’t get over the fact that she looks EXACTLY like I imagined Gilly from the books.

22. AGirlHasSaid
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

She is such a terrific actress. I never get the sense that she’s “acting” because she’s just so natural.
    If you haven’t read the whole interview, please do, because the questions and answers are so interesting.