Alex Graves on the Season 4 Finale: It’s unlike anything we’ve seen, a very big turning point in the show
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Yesterday, Alex Graves was a guest on Bloomberg West to talk about his work as a Director for Game of Thrones.

Graves details the production of Thrones, explaining that it is difficult to compare it to any other television show because of its huge scale, and ability to be firm in its storytelling. He explains the extreme amount of planning, the intense filming schedule, and the varying amount of visual effects that goes into each episode. He also reveals that his strategy in avoiding leaks had to evolve recently after being hacked, and he now keeps all of his Thrones material on an external drive.

Graves directed Sunday’s finale episode, which he says he is very proud of, and is unlike anything that’s been mounted on the show, marking a big turning point in the story. He can’t answer how many seasons it will take to wrap up the story, but does say that David and Dan will keep it focused and tight, and that he knows enough to say that there is a lot of story left to unfold before the climax can happen.

Winter is Coming Live, The Watchers On The Wall… by winteriscoming

1. chriss
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Hodor!

(First ever Hodor! Woohoo!)

2. Koi No Yokan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:14 am | Permalink

There will be so many (potential) great moments in this finale… I already have huge expectations for the episode without them talking it up so much!

Tyrion’s escape and murders, Jon and Mance, Stannis’ arrival, Dany’s dragons, The Hound’s “death” and Arya’s parting, Bloodraven, and of course… Lady Stoneheart.

Excited and yet dreading it – this season has gone by so fast.

3. blackfish
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

With all the hype that surrounds the season finale (mostly from the makers themselves), this oughtta be one astonishing piece of tv. I’m trying to have as little expectations as possible, but interviews like these are really making that difficult

4. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Koi No Yokan:

Excited and yet dreading it – this season has gone by so fast.

Indeed, it could be any of those moments. Some people are speculating that as Season 1 ended with Daenerys (fire), Season 2 ended with the wights/White Walkers (ice) and Season 3 ended with Daenerys again, this year may finish with something “oop north” amid the ice and snow.

5. Arya's Nose
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

They really need to stop hyping these things up. Hype leads to disappointment, which leads to the insufferable ramblings of people who take these things too personally. I don’t want to spend yet another Monday morning putting people on Tumblr (mainly ASOIAF book readers) on ignore.

Also, Stannis fans… which would you prefer? Less than a minute at the end of an episode, a la Tywin in Blackwater? Or a full length scene that devotes a proper amount of time to the ‘big’ moment? Jus’ sayin’.

6. JamesL
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Koi No Yokan,

Lady Stoneheart is cut, some of you can keep trying to convince yourselves that she will certainly show up but it won’t change anything.

7. Thompsjt1
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

I agree with avoiding hype. It does sky rocket peoples expectation to levels of almost guaranteed disappointment. I felt this year the hyping of the mountain and viper fight was a prime example of this. While the death/result of the fight was good, the fight itself I felt was very short and was just ok. They should just not hype up.

8. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Koi No Yokan,

Don’t be so sure about the last one

9. Thompsjt1
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

JamesL,

And you are a expert of inside information how? I would say you probably correct until I heard about Lena post image. She did the same thing before episode showing how viper dyes with her fingers on him. That leads me to believe this it true as we’ll. let us just hope please. If we’re wrong then oh we’ll

10. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Thompsjt1,

That Lena image is from ages ago. She didn’t do it as a tease for the finale. It’s possible she did it when she got a script for season 5.

11. Red Hound
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Thompsjt1,

22nd April is ages ago?

12. Sunfyre
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:07 am | Permalink

jentario,

She posted it on April 21st. Seems a tad early for Season 5 scripts to go out to castmembers. Not saying you’re right or wrong. I go back and forth on it myself. Anyway, we’ll know tomorrow night :)

13. Blackheart
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Red Hound: 22nd April is ages ago?

About the right time for Season 5 scripts to have been finished.

14. NewJeffCT
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:11 am | Permalink

In the end, this better be one of the best episodes, not just the best finale.

15. Jake
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

What’s the general consensus on if the show will include Lady Stoneheart? I don’t think we’ll see her.

16. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:21 am | Permalink

blackfish,

Hear, hear !

It’s taking everything in me not to blow my expectations up to unsatisfiable proportions

17. Hollyoak
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Well, they have hyped every episode, especially the Watchers on the Wall, which fell flat for a lot of people, including me.

Wow, I’m turning into one of those people. sigh…

Still a HUGE fan. I like D&D and what they’re doing. Just didn’t care for episode nine, even after watching it twice. Not my favorite episode, but that’s okay, right? We all have our likes and dislikes about the show. But I really think this last episode is going to bring it.

I’ve read the books so I have an idea of the big reveals that still have to happen, but I haven’t been reading the spoiler bars because I still want to be surprised.

18. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

jentario,

Well “ages” ago, as you should know, they didn’t have the scripts for the new season.

In fact the actors don’t even have them now. They only know a few things about the new season themselves.

19. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

This whole LS debate is ridiculous. Those who say it is 100% certain that she will be in the show are just as silly as those who say she will be cut with 100% certainty.

WE DON’T FUCKING KNOW PEOPLE. She may be cut from the show entirely, she may be very important later in the books and thus will be introduced later in the show, and she may show up in sunday’s episode (unlikely).

There are arguments in favor of all those options. Only an exceedingly arrogant person (or an idiot) would declare that anything is certain.

NOTHING is certain. Before the Season began everyone said “only Cat” and Jon becoming LC would be in the finale. Not only was “only Cat” NOT in the finale, but the line was also changed.

And now it seems like the LC election will probably be next year.

So unless you worked on the show, you know nothing, so stop bullshitting. Thanks.

20. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Blackheart,

They weren’t, and the actors still don’t have them.

21. Tatters
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

If Stoneheart is in, its because the brotherhood found Lysa in the Vale. Therefore Lysa will command The Hound to kill Sansa Stark. The Hound storms the bloody gate and kills littlefinger while saving Sansa. Podrick saves Brienne from Stoneheart by rolling her down the mountain. Brienne has joined up with Arya to kill Cersei. Then Brienne smuggles Arya in Kingslanding as Jeyne Poole, while distracting Jaime. Brienne tells Jaime that The Hound means to kill Sansa Stark, but only Jaime can save her. Arya meets with Varys in the dragon dungeons. They plot to to kill Tywin instead.
    On the road Jaime argues that The Hound saved Sansa from Joffrey, and before that plotted with Oberyn to kill his brother and Joffrey. Jaime figures The Hound was in the dornish company and head towards Dorne. He assigns Brienne and Podrick to kingsguard and knight respectively. He sends them to kingslanding to join in ceremony.

Meanwhile Tywin talks to Pycelle and the rest in a council meeting. He asks where the spider is and turns toward his cupbearer when no one answers. They engage in a long discussion about how Tywin won over the starks and stannis. Tywin notes that everyone has fallen asleep. He feels dissy and sits down. He asks if the cupbearer can find a maester. The cupbearer responds there is only Pycelle, and Pycelle is dead. Arya unsheates needle. Out of the shadows step Varys with a crossbow and shoots him in the bowel. He explain that he has released Tyrion and sent him to the wall to honor Tywins last wish. Then Arya stabs Tywin repeatedly. End of season

22. JamesL
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Thompsjt1,

Your right I don’t know for sure, I should have said “Lady Stoneheart is probably cut”. Some people act like it is a sure thing that she will be in the episode. The Lena instagram post doesn’t mean anything, people are desperate to look for any hints about her showing up they latch on to anything as confirmation. People even use the fact that Sansa mentioned her mother was killed and thrown into a river as some type of confirmation or foreshadowing of Lady Stoneheart. She also mentioned the Robb was killed and had his Direwolf’s head sewed onto his body, I guess that also foreshadows Robb being resurrected with Greywinds head attached to him…

23. Ginevra
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Blackheart: About the right time for Season 5 scripts to have been finished.

Bryan Cogman said they were currently working on Season 5 scripts during his Game of Owns interview on May 14th, about 4 weeks after the incident.

24. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

This is off-topic, but did anyone pick up what happened to the Hound and Arya’s horses? I don’t think we’ve seen them since they met the farmer and his daughter. I assume maybe it’s not the best idea to ride through parts of the Vale, because it’s so craggy and narrow, but I’m still curious whether it’s been specified what happened to them, especially since there is supposedly an episode 10 photo of Arya on her horse over at IGN. Best way for her to escape Brienne?

25. Ginevra
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Hollyoak:

One of the awesome things that draws every sort of person to the books and show is that there is just the most massive amount of characters and story lines: something for everyone! I suffer through Stannis, Dany, and especially Melisandre, while there are others who adore these characters. And their opinions and loves are no less valid than what I love, just different.

26. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Red Hound,

What I meant is that it isn’t two weeks old or something, it was way back when the season began.

27. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Mark Hogan,

I agree with this comment.

28. Smitzzz
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Seriously cannot believe people are still adamant that LSH will be in , Monday the GoT forums are going to be rage filled , I wonder how many are going to “quit watching forever ” this time LSH will be next season now.

29. mariamb
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:21 am | Permalink

With all of the discussion about LS , there has been little mention of Mance and how we think his storyline will play out going forward. Mance is an intriguing character in the books and I wish that we had a bit more of him in the show so far.

Knowing that he plays a rather crucial role in the events in the North in ADWD, what do we think we may see on Sunday night? Will Rattleshirt be back? Will Mance mention the Horn of Joramun? What about Dalla, Val and the baby?

30. Rygar
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

I really really really really hope that LS Is out. I would like to forget it ever happened. La de da. Whistling a tune.

31. Wodja
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Hyped!
    Can’t help it…
    Not sure if this was ever linked – found this cool Jazz cover to the GoT intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itn8highTRo

32. Saar
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I am curious about what you all think this turning point will be…
    To me an Obvious turning point, which will take the story to a whole other level would be Lady Stoneheart, but most of you seem to think now that she will be cut, for some reason. The interview with Sophie Turner about how the end of the season will be a not depressing ending and that it will take the story to a whole other level really sounds like Stoneheart to me.
    I mean lets face it, unsullied are not really interested in Bran’s story arc and ending with him and the children of the forest and bloodraven is the only other option about a not depressing ending.
    Tyrion killing Tywin and Dany locking up her dragons aren’t really happy affairs…

33. patchy Face
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Ginevra,

Yes, so many people I know absolutely loved ep 9 – was not crazy about it myself but do appreciate it much more on rewatch. Scared that 10 will not live up to my ridiculous expectations now.

34. Botros
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Saar,

Maybe Stannis’ arrival at the wall? That’s not so depressive.

35. Delta1212
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Considering the amount of hype they’re trying to generate for this episode, I’m doing a pretty good job managing my expectations. Some of that, I think, has to do with the fact that I just don’t trust the judgement of the production when it comes to telling me which parts of the show are going to be ‘zomg so awesome.’

Now don’t get me wrong, I trust them to make an awesome show filled with awesome moments. I just don’t trust them to tell me which of those moments are going to work and which are going to fall flat before they’ve aired. They have a very good track record pulling off epic moments but their track record for telling us which of their attempts at epic moments we’re going to love is a little more hit and miss.

I’m going into the finale with basic finale expectations and little else.

36. Ashara D
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Mark Hogan:

***
    Only an exceedingly arrogant person (or an idiot)would declare that anything is certain.

***

Mark Hogan:
    Blackheart,

They weren’t, and the actors still don’t have them.

Do you work on the show? Couldn’t they be working on some scripts while others are complete? Couldn’t the principal actors be aware of the season map and major beats to be covered by the upcoming season(s)?

I happen to agree that the LSwhining has become very tiresome and that the character could still appear, but your two responses posted back-to-back made me laugh out loud. Perhaps if everyone checked their arrogance at the door we could have more civil discourse. See Ginevra’s response to Blackheart for a good example.

blackfish,

Yep. Same here. I keep telling myself over and over that it is tv; it can’t match my imagination; D&D have the long game in mind; appreciate it for the wondrous accomplishment that it is; that it is the realization of someone else’s imagination and the result of the hard work of many professionals at the top of their game; that it is a story that I love and can revisit with my own imagination anytime I wish; and no matter what, it is spectacular entertainment. Just can’t wait to see it!

37. msd
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

The last episode taught me a good lesson about not making assumptions. I’m going into this next one with a relaxed, open attitude so that I can just enjoy what does happen. Hope others do too!

38. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Ashara D,

If I made you laugh out loud, that’s awesome for you, but there is nothing contradictory about what I posted.

I simply saw an interview a few days ago with the guy who plays Qyburn saying they don’t have scripts yet, and he had no idea what was in store for him, except for the fact that he will be in 5 episodes, and Bryan Cogman said they were still working on scripts around mid May

I also seem to recall that Sophie Turner stated recently that scripts have just been completed, and they’ve been told it’ll be amazing, but nobody has details.

Obviously my initial comment was directed at those who state things as being certain without any facts.
    When you know the facts, you’re obviously allowed to say so, which is what my second comment was doing.

So next time, before trying to prove me an arrogant hypocrite, just ask me what makes me so sure of what I’m saying, and you’ll see that unlike 99% of people here, I don’t pretend my assumptions are facts.

39. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

You’re 1000% percent right. The show is not great at informing us on what will actually please us

Going into this episode with lowered expectations is the best way to enjoy it to the fullest.

40. Sunfyre
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Mark Hogan,

I think it’s your tone dude. Condescension is never attractive.

41. Mark Hogan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Sunfyre,

I’m perfectly pleasant with those who are also civil.

But when I see dozens of people calling others “fucking cunts” and “retards” for not understanding that LS is cut, or for not understanding that she will for sure be included, that’s when I get pissed off, and rightly so I think.

42. Darren
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I have no knowledge either way. However, considering the importance of ASOS epilogue,and it’s placement closing out the first act of ASOIAF. There is no way LS doesn’t make an appearance. I’m guessing they’ll even throw in a fake out and show her after the credits for maximum effect.

43. RandomSand
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

In my opinion it does not make a huge difference if they keep LS (since her death was last year it is still fresh and people will enjoy it) or if they cut her (More time to focus on other storylines that have more direct influence on the “main arc”). It will be a mistake if they put her in S5. It will steal time from other storylines and viwers will be less shockes and will not care for her as much.

44. Kris
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

It is known: I will be rage filled if no Lady Stoneheart. In EW magazine, Maisie Williams said of the finale something like,”…people won’t be disappointed, like usual…” Anything there there?

45. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Darren,

If she is in, the lack of set up for it is pretty bad. They didn’t even try to remind people of Berric and the BWB in the recap. Also, with the episode already packed full of surprises and the Soundtrack implying the season will end with Bran… I’m not sure we’ll see Stoneheart. Not in THIS episode. Maybe next season.

There’s one piece of evidence that gives me doubt, though (no, not Lena’s Instagram picture): the fact that I’m pretty sure Walder Frey’s actor confirmed he was returning in season 4. That interview was from 2013. I was certain when I listened to it that he confirmed he was returning. But now I just can’t find the interview anywhere, so I could have misinterpreted something.

IF he is in the finale… I can see a scene in the Twins where Walder sends off Lame Lothar or some random Frey (Merret) to treat with the Brotherhood… Directly followed by the Epilogue scene.

I have definitely lowered my hopes to zero so I can enjoy the rest of the episode, though

46. jentario
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

My comment did not register…

Anyway, does anyone remember if Walder Frey was confirmed to appear in this season? I seem to remember it happened in some interview with the actor but I can’t find it. That would definitely boost Stoneheart’s chances.

47. Sunfyre
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Mark Hogan,

Fair enough. Didn’t mean to judge you based on one comment. In a touchy mood today. Peace :)

48. Andrew Street
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Hang on a minute – how exactly would the return of the reanimated, murderous corpse of a former main character count as a ‘hopeful’ ending?

49. Carol Lang
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

I don’t think that she’s out of the show yet… we’re really not to a point in the story where she appears. Be patient…. I think next season will introduce her storyline, and this one is to good for D&D to ignore. And won’t she be a surprise for the unsullied??? lol…

50. Justin DiMatteo
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I don’t know either way whether LS will be in it or not. All I know is this: If they don’t end the finale with her, they’re making a big mistake. Yes, I’m outright declaring her possible omission as a bad decision. It’s difficult coming up with a “WOW” moment to end a season on, that will leave viewers stunned and wanting more. In this case, the books have handed it right to them on a silver platter, and if they don’t take it… then I am severely disappointed in their decision making.

51. Summer
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Lady Stoneheart is not happening. Sean Bean will reappear and will play Lord Stoneheart ^^

52. Valaquen
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Blackheart: About the right time for Season 5 scripts to have been finished.

They were finished June 1st.

53. SkyWrathMage
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Please stop from shitting yourselves over what to or not to expect in Episode 10. Something from the books doesn’t guarantee that it’ll be on the show. The SHOW and the BOOKS are still different materials. Even if GoT is based from ASoIaF, that doesn’t mean everything would be shown o screen. They change things. They add some.

I don’t want to sound perfect or a genius or anything but let’s just allow David&Dan to do their jobs. They know the best.

Let’s not over-expect and overreact on speculations and “hints”.
    We all know nothing. :D Just saying.

54. Chriss
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

So not to be that guy, or anything! I really do love the series, and it was only through it that I actually started reading the books. But! no matter how good this upcoming episode ends up being, I can’t lie, I’d be extremely disappointed if Stoneheart is cut. Like episode ruined kind of disappointed. I can’t help it, just the way I feel!

55. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

It’s one thing to be quietly confident about the standard of one’s work but it’s rather jumping the gun to say one is “proud” of an episode before it has aired. I think there is a good chance that it will be excellent but there is always the small chance that people will not like it. If I had given the interview I think I would have commented in slightly less pompous terms.

56. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I’m getting bored of the LS speculation. We’ll find out soon.

For now can I’ll just say that I’m really going to miss Charles Dance.

I also think we should prepare ourselves right off the bat for major book deviations next season. They’ll lead to the same endgame that is going to be in the remaining books but different paths will be taken. Deal with sooner rather than later folks.

57. James
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Everyone that thinks LS will be cut needs to think about the ramifications of that. As George always says, there’s a butterfly effect.

58. Eric
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Where will Brienne’s story go without LS? What about the BwoB? Sure, they could keep Beric around and have him lead the BwoB to maybe help the Stark supports in the future or help Blackfish kill Freys, or just go and kill Freys themselves. Maybe Beric will resurrect someone else. Does Brienne just wander around and run into the BwoB? She DEFINITELY wouldn’t go and lie to Jaime for anyone other than an undead Catelyn Stark. So then her boring journey in the books who’s sole purpose leads to LS will have to be drastically changed. Also, obviously LS plays a very important role in the future of the books. We obviously don’t know what that is, but they’d have to cut out or change all that from the book. D&D have made changes in the show before but they’ve generally either been for the better (keeping certain characters around more or having certain characters interact with other characters) or to kill some time by throwing in some action. It doesn’t make sense that they’d cut something like that out when there doesn’t seem to be a better alternative. LS was probably the biggest holy shit moment to most people while reading, and most people cheered as she kept killing Freys and really want to see if she’s reunited with any of her family. It doesn’t seem like D&D to just cut it out because some complaining fans didn’t like the twist.

59. JamesL
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

Why? He didn’t say everyone will love it and think it is the greatest episode of all time, he just said he is proud of it. Filmmakers say things like that all the time, there is nothing smug or pompous about it There is nothing wrong will be proud of your work. Whatever the audience reaction is it won’t change the fact that he is proud of it and thinks it is great.

60. PonsExpress1!
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Eric,

I personally think LS will be cut.
    I think LS will only play an important role in Briennes and Jaimes storylines, means the Riverland plot line.
    Since there were zero set up for that plot line in the show, no Blackfish, no Riverrun, and since Jaime will be in Dorne next season, the show will cut this plot like out, and with it LS.

But don’t forget, these are all speculations.
    So we can’t say that LS will play a big role in the future. We easily don’t know.
    If she’s cut that she’s unimportant, if not then not.

61. King Stannis
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Troublesome Birdsong:

You can see the horses in the background on almost every episode minus the last one at the bloody gate. I didn’t catch it

62. House Ray
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I agree with the person above – Lets control expectations and go into the episode to be happy with whatever happens.

By expecting stannis at the end of ep 9 I ruined it for myself and didn’t enjoy the ending.

I’m not making the same mistake twice. If LS is there, cool – If not, she’s not that important.

So here is a NEW thing to talk about for everyone:

Prediction – What will the ending be assuming no LS?

I’m going to predict Tyrion leaving Westeros followed by Stannis charge to save Jon Snow.

63. Ahmed Hassan
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I think ive a perfect thing to answer the LS discussion.
    Here is the interview of Miss LS herself

64. Ser Florian
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

House Ray,

I also made the same assumption for Stannis’ arrival in episode 9… I figured they’d tie up the whole thing in that episode, and have the outcome conclusive. I’m glad we’re getting Jon and Mance though. As for LS, I’d love to see it, but I haven’t been setting up the final episode, in my mind, with her appearance, and her not making an appearance won’t ruin anything for me… as I said, with all the awesome scenes we’re going to get, LS would just be sprinkles on top.

I reckon Mance and Jon’s chat, and Stannis’ arrival, will be early… that way Jon can get back to Castle Black, and get a little bit of hope, through a chat with Tormund and/or Sam… or Stannis or Mel. He’ll start dealing with Ygritte’s death, just so they don’t leave him as suicidal as he was at the end of episode 9, and will be when he’s walking towards the Wildlings.

As for the ending… I’m still going for it being Bran and the Children and Bloodraven. Maybe his first little taste of what’s to come, or Bloodraven telling him he’s the only hope for the world, or something equally momentous. I don’t think we’ll have Bran and co. fight the Wights, meet the Children, meet Bloodraven, get the Weirnet described, and start having major visions in this one episode. Seems like it’d be a bit too much.

Or, going by Sophie Turner’s statement, about it being somewhat uplifting, we could see a very quick election/ascension of Jon Snow to LC… Give him a conversation with Tormund, to show that he realises the Wildings are not the real enemy, and Jon’s got the right ideas for the Wall, get him elected, then get everyone chanting “Lord Snow! Lord Snow!”… would be quite uplifting.

65. Carne
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Troublesome Birdsong,

They couldn’t bring the horses they used in Northern Ireland to Iceland, and they couldn’t find horses of the same size there, so they had to choose some smaller ones and decided to keep them in the background.

66. Ashara D
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Sunfyre,

Thanks for the back up. Namaste!

67. ReekReek
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I highly doubt they’re going to suddenly throw in Lady Stoneheart. There are enough jaw-dropping moments in this episode alone. Let’s save one for next season. Season 5 is very much a development season, similar to season 2, with the pieces moving into place for season 6′s big scenes, so it’ll be light on huge shockers. I’d rather have a big GASP moment when it’s needed, rather than when I want it.

68. Justin
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I’m on the side that believes LS is in. Is there really any reason to leave it out? Any whatsoever? It’s one of the biggest twists of the series–D&D would be unwise to leave it out. And here’s what convinced me: not Lena’s instagram photo (which, come on… she hasn’t read the books. If she posted that, LS is in.) but Michelle Fairely’s interviews. Interviewers directly asked her if she was returning and the way she responded SO coyly… Maybe I’m just hopeful, but D&D wouldn’t disappoint us like that. They also told us that nothing from Book 3 would be in the next seasons. Gotta have faith! And just to defend myself, I’m not saying it’s in 100%. I’m leaning towards about 80%. We’ll see tomorrow!

69. sati
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Justin,

I think Jon’s LC election is gonna be next season

70. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Ashara D:
    Namaste!

A yogini in Westeros makes me chuckle.

“Om shanti shanti shanti”

Long live LS!! :)

71. ChickenWithRedBarSinister
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

All the talk of the S4 ending is growing crazy. The easiest way to end on a ‘positive’ note, given the current arc of the show, the comments/spoilers/hints of the actors, and the arc of the book is something along the lines of the following (sorry for the inexact quote, as I don’t have my book in front of me):

You will not walk, Bran…but you will fly

The perfectly uplifting and positive end complete with fodder for nine months of speculation by unsullieds and what it may mean.

If it’s been mentioned before, my apologies sers and ladies…I’ll put my own head on a spike.

72. The Pillar & the Stones
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Saar:
    I am curious about what you all think this turning point will be…

After watching the interview, I’m convinced it’s Tywin’s death.

73. Chvyalthan
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Anyone still doubting LS, ponder Michelle Fairley’s reaction to this question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2Ws5PJ7QM&feature=youtu.be&t= 5m53s

74. jentario
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Chvyalthan,

What am I meant to see?

75. Ben from Yronwood
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:03 am | Permalink

ChickenWithRedBarSinister:

You will not walk, Bran…but you will fly

I’ve been imagining that quote being the last spoken words of the episode and kicking off the OST track ‘The Children’, during which we get the rumoured Stark children montage which might include others (E.g. Tyrion) and even poor Rickon. The last of this is intercut with Brienne being brought before the BWB and the last note is the LS reveal. Uplifting for most of it as it shows characters ‘moving on’ and pondering what the words mean for Bran. Silence for the credits as people digest the last scene.

Quite separately, I think one of the more exciting and uplifting things to come out of the Finale will be the fact that Tyrion is heading east and will presumably join (fix?) Dany’s storyline. From an unsullied point of view this will be pretty monumentous.

76. cream syahrini
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I love it when people get together and share opinions.
    Great website, continue the good work!

77. sloosh
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

First of all, props to ReekReek and Ben from Yronwood.

Bringing in LS would be cool, but she’s not needed. Season 5 is going to need some OMG moments. After a season like this, the writers are going to want to replicate the hype of the beginning-of-the-season-shocker Purple Wedding. Holding off on LS could give us a great season premiere and allow Brienne (a popular character judging by the roles she’s being offered in Hollywood) to have her arc.

Filling the Season 4 finale with too many OMG moments is going to lessen the impact of some of the genuine plot twists that could occur. Having said that, I wouldn’t be upset if LS appeared.

I love the idea of ending the finale on Tyrion going east to find Dany. One of the main complaints of TV viewers is that she’s not “getting on with it.” This would alleviate that sentiment a bit IMO. It would probably make a better ending that Bran and the Children… but again, I wouldn’t be upset if that’s the way things went.

78. Chad Brick
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

jentario,

The lack of LS set-up was precisely what made it
    so incredible to read, and what will likely make it awesome to watch in E10.

79. Chad Brick
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:58 am | Permalink

sloosh,

My money says that S5 will start with Balon Greyjoy’s death. It would be the only remaining item left from ASOS and would be a great kick-off. It would also establish the Iron Islands as a more important plot line going forward.

80. Ben from Yronwood
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

sloosh:
    First of all, props to ReekReek and Ben from Yronwood.

Thanks

I suspect D&D will struggle with next season. There either isn’t enough going on in many story arcs or those arcs have already reached the end of the written material. So saving LS might make sense. It could certainly be set up better, with sighting of hanged Freys, BWB rumours, correspondence with Jaime’s Riverlands arc (whenever it actually kicks off – detours aside) etc.

On the other hand, as a host of new locations and entire storylines loom (E.g. Dorne, Kingsmoot, OldTown, Bravos, Royne etc) I rather suspect D&D will stagger their appearance to keep per-season costs and logistics manageable.

To that end I am not surprised to hear about Dorne castings and not Greyjoy castings. The Kingsmoot arc might not be cut completely, just delayed to correspond with the OldTown storyline (which would make sense). Notice how big the leaked casting call for Dorne was? Massive and completely unsupportable unless that represents the bulk of new characters for the season. So where does the Jaime’s story and the Riverlands – and by extension, LS, fit in? If the tinfoil rings true, there will be major events in the Riverlands. This may be left in a holding pattern for the climax of current northern excitement in Season 6.

To that end, if we (and Jaime) are spending a good deal of time in Dorne next season, when does Riverlands and LS kick off? What is Brienne doing in the meantime? Camping on Crackclaw point?

Wow. quite a ramble and not sure what my point was. Except perhaps D&D have challenges ahead.

81. Jane
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

So, you can’t be proud of your work if other people don’t like it? Wow, that’s some low self esteem shit.

82. sloosh
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Ben from Yronwood,

I was wondering if Balon would make an appearance/get a mention tonight actually. They could use it to wrap up Yara’s story and introduce the Greyjoys for next season (especially since all my TV pals are loving the Martells now). Though, like you said, I think they could hold off on the Greyjoys until Season 6. I’d think that introducing two entirely new plots to the TV show could be risky for the audience (not “entirely new,” but TV watchers are not as invested … a friend of mine asked who Mance Rayder was when we were watching Ep. 9).

Jaime could possibly go to Dorne for the first half of Season 5 and end up in the Riverlands for the last three episodes (to make LS a possibility). Brienne could still introduce Randall Tarly or more of the Silent Sisters to help with future KL plots. Ha! Now I don’t know where I’m going with this… the LS arguments are on another thread now anyway.