Looking Forward, Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 10 and Endurance
By Oz of Thrones on in Editorial, Speculation.

thechildren1And here we are.

Not terribly long ago, Season 4 was about to kickoff.  The WiC contributors were gearing up for some long nights.  The WiC faithful were gearing up for the ever-present heated discussions regarding adaptation, or direction, or episode lengths, or… all of the above.  And the new WiC owners were about to find out just how fanatical the most hard-core GoT fans on the net can be.

And here we are, staring an eternity of Throneless nights in the face with far too many questions than can be addressed in one episode.  But we’ve been through this before, and once again, we will endure…

LOOKING FORWARD TO FINALE

There is a huge difference between want and need.  But as it pertains to GoT, it is sometimes difficult to find the line between the two.  Here are a few samples of some stories that I would appreciate being at least somewhat sewn up.  I realize that even when there is an obvious climax to a story in GoT, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s over.

Having said that, here is my wish list.  What is yours?

The Future of Tyrion:  To even think about Tyrion’s future remaining uncertain and having to ponder it for the next 40 or so weeks could drive a man to drinking too many of Jessica’s concoctions.

Seeing Stannis:  I think we either see the one true King picking up Red Velvet and Company at Dragonstone preparing to head north, or perhaps he even shows up at the Wall.  Regardless, I hope we see Stannis and Davos at least one more time (and without my prediction coming true about Velvet and Selyse sacrificing Shireen).

Arya with Family:  Now that the Hound realizes that there will be no money for delivering Arya to Lysa (RIP my dear), what now?  The big Unsullied question is whether or not Arya will miss yet another opportunity to reunite with a family member.  Sansa is literally a door knock away, but the Hound and Arya likely feel they have no reason to stay.  If that is the case, I’d like to know where they are going next on their endless journey to nowhere.  Or would the Hound throw up his hands and leave Arya to fend for herself?  I wouldn’t think so, and where the hell is he going to go anyway?

Littlefinger’s Next Move:  Remain at the Vale and plot and scheme?  Or is the next move already plotted and we get a reveal as to what it could be?  As it stands, I personally have no clue.  It has been established that all houses in and around the Vale stand against the Lannisters, but exactly what Baelish will do next seems anything but obvious.

Is Yara gone?:  In somewhat of a major lead-in to the beginning of S4, Yara was depicted gathering 50 of the Iron Islands’ finest to go and save Theon.  Yet it only took a quick fight sequence and a brother that had lost his mind to run her the hell out of Dodge (well, that and some vicious dogs).  Was that it?

And on a family note, Balon is the only remaining named Leech usurper alive.  Is this still significant?

The Visions of Bran:  According to the previews, Hodor and the Reeds (with Bran on Bongos) make it to the Weirwood.  I really thought that this story arc would have been covered more this season, so my hope is that we get a clear idea of the point of the three-eyed raven (and an explanation as to why Bran looks to be wearing a wig for the final episode).

Cersei and Loras Resolution:  My apologies in advance, but this one is just driving me f’ing nuts.  It’s not because I believe it to be an important part of the grand scheme, or that it will even come to pass. It’s because the mention of it has been drug on roughly through a season and a half.  I realize there have been many extenuating circumstances in KL that have prolonged this arranged marriage, but is it going to happen or not?

One more glimpse of this guy…

roose-305

A mention of the Brotherhood:  The BwoB have been a noticeable no-show this season which is somewhat of a disappointment.  I have no expectation of seeing them in the finale, but a mention leading to their reintroduction for Season 5 would be welcome.

Same goes for Gendry, and the Blackfish, and Osha and Rickon, and Lancel.  No more Lancel-free seasons shall be tolerated by this establishment.

The Jon/Mance Meeting:  It goes without saying that by the preview, we know that this happens.  I have a theory on what Jon plans to do, but to preserve what little credibility I have left, I shall keep it to thyself.  And I’ll let you know Monday morning how wrong I was.

White Walker Daycare: The White Walker Bureau of Baby Affairs has not been seen since the end of Ep. 4.  I am hoping for one more glimpse of Darth White and the armored walkers.  By the way, did Gilly’s baby look incredibly like the transformed white walker baby?  I guess they were related.

And finally:

Jorahless Dany:  Last season ended with Mother.  The season ends with The Children.  Will this episode end with crowd-surfing kids? Intriguing episode name aside, the hype has definitely been built up all week.  The dragons have been used sparingly this season but look to make one final appearance per the preview.  For the sake of the story across the narrow sea, I hope we get some indication that Dany’s crew are shown prepping for their entrance into the mainframe of the story of GoT…  Westeros.  And we get an idea of where THE man has gone (no, not Daario).

But in all honesty, I really want to know what you guys want answered in this last episode.  There have been many new Unsullied that have joined the army this year, and your input is highly encouraged.  So, bring it.  And if you have lurked and never commented, then do something new… state your chosen anonymous persona and say hello.

And don’t disappear during the off-season… if there is nothing new to report, we have been known to resort to bullshitting.

We may have to get Fury to fabricate some stories on casting. We may have to get Bex to provide some Bowl of Brown Links to GoT articles.  We might have to get FaB to tweet recaps of True Blood or True Detective (in the spirit of staying “True”, I hear he is working on a pilot for a series entitled True Indigo), and we might have to get Hear Me Roar to crunch some ridiculous numbers (like maybe an updated death-to-episode ratio in GoT and how it compares to other popular cable television shows).

We may have to get Lightbringer to find unlikely interviews, like how Jason Momoa has ideas on how to bring Drogo back to life.  We might have to get Jessica to mix us a few more drinks, and we might have to get Tybee to change her hair color every month until S5 (and a correlating show to discuss it, hosted by Adam).

WiC Thoros might have to deliver Player of Thrones: Random Lannister Soldier.  And we will have to stay on Zack and the GOO Crew’s assess about giving us more off-season Game of Owns.  Of course, I will endlessly search for answers in another off-season series of unlikely predictions if such a series remains desired.

And you KNOW… there will be merchandise posts!

But the truth is that we will continue to do our very best to keep you engaged and entertained during the off-season.  At times it is difficult.  But stick around… some of the best posts I have ever read on this site have come during the off-season.

Don’t become a stranger.  Don’t be an in-season only visitor.  We can get through the off-season.  We will conquer.  We will have a voice.  We will push for more episodes; longer episodes; bigger budget episodes!  We will beg, borrow, and steal for the next book to come out for the Sullied!  We will get who we want to play whomever the hell Mads Mikkelson McGillicuty is!

We will prevail!  And we will endure.

I’ll see you all Monday for the final Unsullied recap for the next nine and a half months.  :(

Until then, cherish the final moments, and may there forever be peace in your realm.  –Oz

“Unbowed.  Unbent.  Unsullied.”

@OzofThrones, twitter dudes and dudettes.  Come along.

AS PER THE NORM, NO SPOILERS IN THE OZ POST COMMENT THREAD.  ADOPT AN UNSULLIED TODAY, AND KEEP THEM SAFE FROM SPOILERY.

Winter is Coming Live, The Watchers On The Wall Recap by Winter Is Coming

1. 123
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Brynden Rivers

2. Lady Mychelle
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Drogon!,,,,,,,

3. KG
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Don’t worry; I’m sure I’ll find something to argue with someone about until next season :D

4. Turncloak
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:29 am | Permalink

The death of king Joff and a Trial of Tyrion would be good cause to delay a wedding me thinks :-). And Tywin did ask Cersei when she plans to marry a couple of episodes ago, as well as when Margaery will marry Tommen. I believe Cercei said the Margery/Tommen wedding comes first

5. Sarah Blackfyre
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:35 am | Permalink

As someone who is Sullied, I would be interested in seeing the brotherhood again…

6. Yureina
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Sarah Blackfyre:

Me too. They are some pretty cool guys, and I doubt their little guerrilla war simply stopped when Arya ran from them.

7. Zack
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

OT, but I gotta say even if I don’t use the mobile app at all (I will) I love that I get updates on my phone when something is posted to the site. Saves me time checking!

Great predictions Oz. As a book reader I am curious about the finale as well, what kinds of deviations from text there will be, and what will be pushed to next year or cut entirely. It should be an exciting episode.

And…I hope you continue to create posts in the off-season. Maybe devote entire posts to speculation about a particular character’s future for season 5? I am sure a lot of us readers would get a kick out of what kind of arc you expect for some of the characters!

8. Monica
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Thanks, Oz!

Love your conjecturing & we’ll miss ya!

9. Kay
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:21 am | Permalink

I am most looking forward to Tyrion’s fate. I also need a glimpse of Bran and Co. And definitely something about the Children in Meereen – they have been rather scarce this season. The dragons, of course. Entering the rebellious teen years and why is Daenerys spending more time with them? How will Jon fare beyond the Wall? Those are my most pressing questions….

10. Starfish
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:49 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t DREAM of abandoning WIC during an off-season. I find that the fandom is amusingly endearing between seasons- something about our collective despair, spiraling into a black hole of impatience, loneliness and hysteria as we claw for any scrap of news regarding the upcoming season of just ASOIAF in general.

ANYWHO, I’m so looking forward to seeing Dany’s next move, and what the dragons are up to. I sense hard times coming for my beloved khaleesi; my heart hurts for her. (Prays for Jorah to return into her forgiving arms, letting her know that she will never be alone as long as he is with her. Sigh.)

11. Marcin Bartnicki
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:57 am | Permalink

As one of the Sullied, I am so looking forward to you finale recap. :)

12. Black Dredd
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:59 am | Permalink

I look forward to Stannis at the wall and Bran mostly.
    Speaking of the bran wig, it really doesn’t make sense at all. His hair was so beautiful in season 3.

13. Broken Wolf
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 3:15 am | Permalink

From a Sullied to the Unsullied among you: I will give no spoilers, I swear it, but some shit is gonna happen in the final episode of this season that is gonna blow your minds to the farthest reaches of the universe, never to return.

14. Fancy word for a sellsword
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Is Lyanna Stark really alive?!

15. Lisa Y.
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I want to know who it is that Arya and the Hound run into in the Vale. And where is Sansa going with Littlefinger and Robyn?

I want to know if Arya and Sansa meet. What will they say to each other?

I want to know what happens between Jon and Mance.

I want to know who those riders in the woods are, and where did they come from?

Most of all, I want to know what it is that Bran is looking for (this quest has gone beyond finding the three-eyed raven), and why is it so damned important?

So those are the questions I what the answers to the most.

See you on Twitter, Oz.

16. Wodja
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Marcin Bartnicki,

I second this!
    Love the recaps Oz. Almost looking forward to it (and the Unsullied reactions) as to the episode itself.

17. Wodja
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 4:00 am | Permalink

“In the spirit of staying “True”, I hear he is working on a pilot for a series entitled True Indigo”…
    If this is true – I think FaB needs a heavy dose of Milk of the Poppy, sprinkled with snake venom!

18. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Yeah, you could say baby Sam and the Ice Ice Baby are related. Little Sam is his brother, uncle, nephew and cousin…

We haven’t seen the Freys at all this season. Is Edmure Tully still locked up? Where’s the Blackfish? Who’s in control of Riverrun? On that same note, is Gendry still rowing? Has Beric died any more times? Is Balon Greyjoy ever going to be leeched to death?

But, yeah. The Wall. Tyrion. Bran. Arya/Hound. Podrienne. Dragons. Frankly, Sansa/LF and the three Rs heading for Winterfell are the only ones that we’ve left on what felt like a potential “last scene of the season” moment. (Maybe Dany a bit, but obviously we’re going to see more of her.)

19. Magiese
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 5:51 am | Permalink

We haven’t seen Walder Frey all season, so I don’t really expect him to pop up just for the finale, but after they left that cloud of foreshadowing hanging over his head last season, I’m still waiting for something to happen to him.
    Hoping it wasn’t just meant as a “Ha, sorry, the Gods are DEAD” statement.

Stannis seems like he’s just been playing things by ear the whole season, but I feel like it isn’t in his character to not have a solid plan. It would be nice to get a little exposition on him before the season’s out. I want to know what he thinks he’s going to do against the ice zombies with a purchased navy and apparently his wife and daughter.

20. GRRMlin
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Finally this awful season will come to an end

21. Annara Snow
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I’m looking forward to the GOO crew reading A Storm of Swords in the off season. And maybe the other two Dunk and Egg stories as well.

Reading Unsullied speculation posts for season 5 will also be fun.

22. Wodja
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:24 am | Permalink

GRRMlin,

Everyone has an opinion and is allowed to share it.
    But just because you think it was awful doesn’t mean it is.
    Just my opinion (which I too am allowed to share)

23. Laurentius
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:42 am | Permalink

GRRMlin:
    Finally this awful season will come to an end

24. jaqen
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:08 am | Permalink

oz do you have a channel in youtube . are you ozz man ?

25. TOIVA
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I’d like to see Stannis’ story move at last. It seems his grumpy nature has infected his whole storyline as nothing happens and everything stays grim (curious, to think about him being sponsored by the Lord of Light).

And definitely I want more Margaery and Tommen. I’d be with you on Cersei and Loras, Oz, but sadly the Royal wedding (phase II) is planned first.

And I’d want to see what happens to Ellaria, which brings up the whole ‘Dorne reaction to Oberyn’s explosion’ question.

Last I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Sansa and Petyr, but A) there’s not much time; B) they had a great end point already; C) I understand Sansa’s storyline is way ahead of others when it comes to books (this may be a wrong impression I’ve gained); so I guess better leaving the Vale for next season.

26. Chickenduck
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:51 am | Permalink

jaqen:
    oz do you have a channel in youtube .are you ozz man ?

No, different guys.

Oz is from Georgia or somewhere like that, he was on an episode of GOO.

Ozzy Man from YouTube is from Australia.

27. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Monica,

Oh seven hells… Am I going somewhere?

jaqen,

Chickenduck is correct. Not quite Georgia, but somewhere like that. :)

28. TOIVA
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Magiese:
    Hoping it wasn’t just meant as a “Ha, sorry, the Gods are DEAD” statement.

Stannis seems like he’s just been playing things by ear the whole season, but I feel like it isn’t in his character to not have a solid plan.It would be nice to get a little exposition on him before the season’s out.I want to know what he thinks he’s going to do against the ice zombies with a purchased navy and apparently his wife and daughter.

Haha! Isn’t it obvious, Stannis will throw Selyse at the White Walkers and they’ll run screaming (or screeching?). After all, they have their own methods of raising young, much, much more humane at that.

And very good point with Walder Frey. I’d love to see what’s been happening there in the Riverlands: Edmure and Roslin (or was it Roslyn?), Blackfish and the ‘piling-up Frey offspring’. But I don’t expect them to appear in the finale, sadly.

And I don’t expect to see Frey’s Bolton allies either in this episode. Their storyline got nicely to Winterfell where they’ll be probably shown ruling next season.

29. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Laurentius: It’s hard isn’t it, having to watch each episode under penalty of death even though there are so many other things you would like to do. Don’t be happy too soon though, after this you may have to keep coming back to this website, I’m pretty sure that’s equally mandatory.

As you say, Gremlin is entitled to his/her opinion. It puzzles me also that he/she keeps coming back to the site [unless to troll and try and vex people]. I will usually give a show a few episodes’ grace, even if I don’t like the beginning, but if by the 4th season I don’t like a show I don’t bother watching it. Some shows can be bad in a funny way (I really thought “Prison Break” was funny – the show that had the man who purposely went to prison to break his brother out and had a tattoo of a utility plan of the prison marked on his body). If Gremlin is posting to deliberately be annoying I guess the best thing one can do is ignore him/her (but then I am not ignoring his/her post here).

More on-topic, I have up to the present enjoyed Oz’s reviews and speculations. There have been a few changes from the books (not that I’ve read them all) so I am not 100% sure what will be seen in the finale.

30. GRRMlin
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

I’ve been here since before Season 1.

Anyway, I’m allowed to have an opinion. This season covered the best part of ASOIAF and was generally underwhelming. The ham-fisted writing of D&D was saved only by the exceptional source material.

31. GRRMlin
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

Not at all. I enjoyed season 1, and the first half of season 2. So that’s why I’m here.

It might just be that I’m watching this series alongside The Wire.

Considering the source material, Game of Thrones had potential to be the top 3 shows of all time. But too often D&D meander away from the source material, often resulting in a borefest for everyone watching. There have been good changes, but overall the show really lacks consistency, especially in this season which had a lot of necessary filler.

32. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Do not talk about the books in these posts, at all.

33. GeekFurious
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

GRRMlin: I’ve been here since before Season 1.

I agree. It’s been a very good season.

(it is very easy to just see what you want to see no matter what is put in front of you)

34. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Do not talk about the books in these posts, at all.

My last attempt at a post has disappeared into cyber-space. I was trying to say that I understood that there were rules but that if one alluded to the source material without spoiling the TV series for viewers only, I could not see what harm was done. I didn’t even agree with GRRMlin’s view of Season 4 which I have liked on the whole…… I’m not even one who thinks the written matter is always better than the TV show (though one should not forget that without the novels one would not have the TV show). I have been careful not to use the B*** word in this post.

35. SilverStormm
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Aww Oz, your last ‘in season’ looking forward, time flies when you’re having fun!
    I for one, am not a fair weather friend, and will be back (as always) for all of your off season hijinx!
    Here’s my personal looking forward:
    Cannot wait to read your unsullied review of episode 10! :D

36. Rygar
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I have been a constant pest with not placing the popular GoT on the same level of greatness as Deadwood, The Wire, and the Sopranos. All four contain some of the best ensemble acting ever. However, it was all due to GoTs mediocre writing and, at times sloppy direction, that kept it from being equal to those shows. But this season, man, GoT kicked it up a notch. This season may surpass Season 1 as the best ever, it’s so close. Probably my favorite. Great job Oz, looking forward to your recap!

37. Easters bunny
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Broken Wolf,

Dude, is it really that hard not to say anything. Keep your spoilers to yourself. Stop hinting at shit that hasn’t happen yet, it seriously ruins it for us tv show fans when you book fans keep reminding us about “serious shit” and when it’s about to go down.

It’s bad enough when my mate sets up a camera to record my reaction to an episode while I’m watching it. “Okay..he pressed record, someone is gonna get it”

Just let us enjoy the show for once!

38. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Rygar:
    I have been a constant pest with not placing the popular GoT on the same level of greatness as Deadwood, The Wire, and the Sopranos.All four contain some of the best ensemble acting ever.However, it was all due to GoTs mediocre writing and, at times sloppy direction, that kept it from being equal to those shows.But this season, man, GoT kicked it up a notch.This season may surpass Season 1 as the best ever, it’s so close.Probably my favorite.Great job Oz, looking forward to your recap!

I get the feeling that you sometimes enjoy being “a pest”, Rygar and that you have a wicked sense of humour. Having said that, it’s “different strokes for different folks”. I liked “The Wire”. I’ve never seen “Deadwood” (I don’t have the [paid-for] channel that many of the HBO shows air on in the UK and if I tried to get myself an invitation at the houses of friends with all the HBO shows of note as well as GoT, I would soon wear out my welcome); “The Sopranos”, which eventually made it on to a not paid-for channel in the UK, was not my cup of tea, though it was well acted. I just could not bring myself to care about any of the characters and I knew something was amiss (as far as my liking [or not] the show was concerned) when I kept wishing the cops would catch Tony Soprano. Among my acquaintances (at least the ones who have seen “The Sopranos”) I am in the minority in not having taken to it though. I am glad you have been more pleased with the content of GoT Season 4 than some of the previous ones.

39. Zack
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Rygar,

I’m actually with you.

I think The Wire and Deadwood in particular are unmatched in the way they get every single aspect–writing, acting, pacing, music, etc….dead on. I haven’t watched The Sopranos so I can’t comment there.

Game of Thrones is not in that class, or of shows like Breaking Bad or True Detective. It’s a tier down.

But it’s no crime to be a step down from perfection. When you’re better than 90% of shows out there, that’s something to be proud of.

40. HARmundGiantsbane
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

That line got me good because it is so true haha

41. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I think this has been GoT’s best season. The only weak episode as far as I’m concerned was “Breaker of Chains,” and most of that was on the misstep of one very poorly shot sequence between Jaime and Cersei; most of the rest of the episode’s content was very strong. I don’t think there’s been a weak episode otherwise, and there have been 5 that I’d put in the top 15 of this show’s run so far — Two Swords, Lion and the Rose, Watchers on the Wall, The Laws of Gods and Men, and of course Mockingbird, so far the best of the year.

D&D have been a lot stronger when it comes to marrying source material with their own writing and done better with transitions, with focusing on specific characters without overdoing it with others (Theon was in 3 episodes this year, and that was enough, and yet Alfie Allen was STILL terrific).

As time has gone on, they seem more confident in their storytelling choices, whereas earlier in the series they were leaning on the books more. That’s natural, but over time the show became its own animal, so even when you’ve got some truly WTF moments like the end of Oathkeeper, it’s thrilling and makes for strong TV.

My only question – seeing as I’m a Sullied – would be: Who is going to put in a surprise guest appearance this closing episode? Season 2 brought the surprise of seeing Jason Momoa’s Khal Drogo, and Season 3 brought back Maester Aemon for the first time since Season 1 and both Yara and Balon Greyjoy, the latter of whom hadn’t been seen since early Season 2 (and not again since).

It can’t be Salladhor Saan, who we saw this year already.

Mord the Gaelor from the Eyrie seems like an unlikely choice. “NO GOLD! NO GOLD!”

Wisdom Hallyne would be good if only to throw wildfire on GRRM to get him to write faster.

Lancel? No, I doubt it.

The Greatjon of Umber, my namesake? Meh, probably not.

All of the living wolves, taking a nap together?

Craster’s Wives, who went north to reclaim their babies from the White Walker Day Care Center, who then, seeing what their sons have become, agree to stay on? “Why do you have to look so severe all the time? And why don’t these others wash their hair or brush their teeth?” and nagging them so much the WW decide not to threaten anyone anymore until their snow rooms are cleaned?

Or maybe the season ends with Karl Tanner’s skeleton, still burning at Craster’s Keep, lifting its head up and saying to the camera, “I’m still a fookin’ legend” before collapsing into flames.

42. House Ray
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Oz you’re going to shit. Should be fun!

43. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia: My last attempt at a post has disappeared into cyber-space.I was trying to say that I understood that there were rules but that if one alluded to the source material without spoiling the TV series for viewers only, I could not see what harm was done.I didn’t even agree with GRRMlin’s view of Season 4 which I have liked on the whole…… I’m not even one who thinks the written matter is always better than the TV show (though one should not forget that without the novels one would not have the TV show).I have been careful not to use the B*** word in this post.

I cannot say this enough: do not discuss or allude to the books- at all. The problem with ASOIAF readers, and I’m not excluding myself, is that we lack the objectivity to know what could be or even hints at a spoiler. It happens time and time again in these posts. That is why people need to not post about the books in these posts. These are posts for purely Unsullied discussion.

44. Ashara D
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

OZ!! Love your posts any time of the year. Looking forward to your last recap for season 4. Should be a doozy. Please give us your predictions for each character/group for the upcoming season again as it approaches. In the meantime, enjoy your summer with the Ozlings, and greetings to the lovely Ozette!

45. King In the North Carolina
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I consider it a victory when an Unsullied comment thread makes it through more than 3 or 4 posts without some dipshit obliquely(or directly!) alluding to upcoming events from the books.

46. Harrold Hardyng
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I can’t see the harm in discussing the books here, especially if posts are spoiler tagged. It seems that this website has been discouraging book fans from sharing their thoughts and has been a little intolerant of show criticism. Limiting discussions always feels a little restrictive. Some of my fav. posts are book/show comparisons and speculation. I guess sullied should stick to westeros.org for more open discussions.

47. Harrold Hardyng
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Harrold Hardyng,

..and maybe it has a lot to do with people spoiling…if spoiler tags are used correctly, any appropriate discussion should be encouraged.

48. JP
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Harrold Hardyng,

There is a Sullied Post for that sort of discussion. In fact, this is about the only place on the site where you can’t talk about the books.

49. Dobbys Sock
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, I think the happening in the Riverlands will remain a lose thread until next season due to lack of time. I would like to know whats going on with the Freys, BWB, Riverrun, Blackfish & Edmure, even Harrenhall(isn’t LF lord of it?). Interestingly, Bryan Cogman also said on twitter that the Greatjon is in the Riverlands still.

50. Abyss
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

OT:
    Too soon? :D

51. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Dobbys Sock: On another note, maybe someone can answer this question for me without giving away any spoilers? Who is in control of Storm’s End since Renly died? It hasn’t been mentioned at all since

The assumption would be that since that was Baratheon land to begin with, that somehow Stannis has installed some sort of castellan to hold it since he had Renly killed and most of his men went to Stannis.

52. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Harrold Hardyng:
    Ours is the Fury,

“if spoiler tags are used correctly” As your second post notes. That is a massive if. Spoiler tags are not used correctly. I edit spoiler coding into posts throughout the day every single day as part of my moderating duties, in regular threads and it is very time-consuming. We cannot trust people to use spoiler tags correctly in a Unsullied post, clearly. And it is not asking too much for ASOIAF readers to use courtesy in one section, Unsullied posts, and stick to show-only talk. It really isn’t. You have every other post on this blog for the book-referencng and spoiler-using discussion you seek. No one is suppressing you.

As for the site being intolerant of show criticism, I don’t know what you’re talking about. People complain about the show all the time here. I really don’t care.

53. Zack Luye
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Chickenduck,

I can confirm he is officially based “somewhere like Georgia”

54. GRRMlin
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Zack,

Yeah, and that’s what annoys me and that’s what the fanboys here can’t understand.

There is nothing wrong with GoT, in fact, it has everything needed to be right up there with The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad etc. Great actors, amazing production values, fabulous story, great characters, great music…

It’s all there, but then there are massive catastrophes that happen far too often and usually by D&D. Sexposition, sexploitation, Qhorin Half-Hand, Jaime-Cersei, all the filler…

55. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Why are there always purists trolling in these posts? That should be a bannable offense IMHO.

I’m looking forward to team Dragonstone and team Bran appearing because we haven’t seem them in awhile. I need a Hodor fix!

56. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

What is the obsession with word filler on this site? I read the comments on the IO9 reviews and just about never see that word used despite the fact that many commenters are sullied. I don’t see it used to describe other shows. Including shows where a hell of lot less happens than on GoT.

I don’t mind intelligent criticism whether I agree with it or not, but the f word just seems to be a lazy way to trash the show without saying anything substantive.

Comments using the word filler to describe an episode are themselves filler. Meta…

57. Chris
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

To Sullied fans complaining about commenting on this post:

Here is the GoT Internet. Here is a post that is approximately 1/10 of 1% of that Internet where fans of the TV show should just be able to talk about the TV show as a show, and speculate on what we think is going to happen freely. The other 99.9% of the Internet is for you. Most of WIC is for you. Can we just have this one post?

All the Sullied posts here seem to be A) Look at the Unsullied trying to figure out what comes next. It’s so cute, like little literary toddlers trying to walk. or B) Oh My God! If you loved this, just wait, what comes next is the most awesome thing ever. Not sure which is more annoying.

For the record, I’ve been both Sullied and unSullied. I watched the first season, was blown away, the end of Baelor was one of the most wrenching things I’ve seen on TV, (and I watch way too much TV), read books 1 and 2 in the offseason, and then didn’t enjoy the 2nd season as much. So now I’m back to unSullied, and fully intend to read all the books once the series is done.

All that said, my biggest speculation is around The Hound. First, is his brother dead? That was left a little ambiguous at the end of the fight, although it didn’t look good for the Mountain. That would alter his fortunes. Second, is the bite going to be resolved? Clearly it’s going to be a bigger plot point at some point because they keep referring to it, and we’ve seen the impact that little cuts can have in this show.

58. Bradyn Dravyn
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

The North Remembers.

59. 3eyes
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Oh Great and Powerful One, the next episode is called “The Children” – and winter is coming……………

60. Zack
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

I agree with this as well, that S4 is the show’s best season, and that the original material added by the writers keeps improving. I think a lot of people have difficulty with the idea that you can enjoy a show without pretending it doesn’t have significant problems here and there.

I actually have a lot of faith in them to take the show beyond the books in the coming years.

61. Blood crow
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

You forgot Kevan Lannister in your misc. section

62. Isobel
    Posted July 9, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 12 spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help
    you to increase traffic. I know how to help you, just type
    in google – k2 seo tips and tricks