Game of Thrones Season 4 finishes with strong ratings from “The Children”
By Lightbringer on in News.

The numbers are in, and last night’s episode of Game of Thrones, “The Children,” wrapped up Season 4 with 7.1 million viewers. This is a 32% increase over last year’s finale, and a slight increase over last week’s penultimate episode, although it falls a bit short of the season high of 7.2 million set by “Mockingbird.”

The finale faced steep competition in it’s first hour from the final game of the NBA playoffs, and after two repeat showings, finished the night at 9.3 million viewers. The episode helped boost Season 4’s initial viewing average to 6.8 million, a 37% increase over Season 3.

Expect a full breakdown of Season 4’s viewership from our resident number cruncher Hear Me Roar coming soon, and check out the full press release below.

GAME OF THRONES ASCENDS 32% vs. LAST YEAR, WRAPPING UP IMPRESSIVE SECOND QUARTER FOR HBO

The season finale of GAME OF THRONES delivered 7.1 million viewers at 9:00PM last night, up 32% from the Season 3 finale. With an additional two plays this Sunday, the night’s gross audience was 9.3 million viewers. The 9:00PM airings this season averaged 6.8 million viewers, up 37% from last season. This season of GAME OF THRONES has also recorded the largest audience ever for an HBO series with an average gross audience of 18.6 million viewers, up 29% from last season.

Winter Is Coming Live: Game of Thrones Season 4 Finale by Winter Is Coming

1. GeekFurious
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

If season 5 continues the building trend, they’re going to break 8, 9 & 10 million for the night (first & second viewings).

2. Delta1212
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I called the 18.6 million average gross a couple of weeks ago, although it seems a tad premature for that information to be available considering the last episode only just aired yesterday.

3. King of the Ashes
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

we’ve always gotten the reports back for episode premieres this fast for this season.. been that way since episode 1 of season 4

4. Madinga
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

My predictions for next season:

Until now even the episode with the lowest ratings of the current season had higher ratings than the most viewed episode of the season before.
    Example: season 3 high: 5.50m
    season 4 low: 6.31m

I think this trend will be broken with the next season.
    The opening episode will surely break the record again, but I don’t think there will be much of a grow like the grow between Season 3 and 4, since there wasn’t a big event that could have get people’s attention (again Lady Stoneheart would have helped here

5. phillipLocke
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

brynden seemed to have found his missing eye

6. Delta1212
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

King of the Ashes,

I was talking about the average gross for the season, not the same night viewers. Since the season average involves all episodes and since the number for each episode involves all the viewers on various platforms for the week, and since the last episode aired yesterday, rather than a week ago…

It seems a tad premature for that information to be available.

7. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I think viewership will peak early in season 5. It’s just not reasonable to expect it to continue to grow much more, IMO. Breaking Bad did it, but that was mostly due to Netflix, and people being able to marathon all of the episodes and get caught up. With that said, it will never fall low enough to jeopardize the show’s budget. Even if live(during the season) viewership declines, there is still a good possibility that it will find a new audience once the series is complete(Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Download).

8. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Madinga,

no big event in the finally? no LS ruined every?

are you joking?

9. The Bastard
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

People weren’t sure if it was ever going to get over 7 Million viewers this season. It did it for 4 of the 10 episodes.

I would say the show is just fine.

The NBA Finals did 15 Million viewers. For GOT to stay over 7 Million at the same time is amazing.

10. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

The Bastard,

Had the show not went H2H with the NBA Finals, I think the last 2 episodes would have approached 8 million viewers for the 9 PM slot.

11. Richard
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Can we go to 75 or 90 minute long episodes now?
    Not adding episode work. Just letting scenes play out a little longer.

12. Zangbangboom
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Hopefully after that awful scene outside the cave with stupid firebals they dont lose a portion of sane audience!

13. Delta1212
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I’d cede 7.5, but I think 8 is a stretch.

14. Lexyvil
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Many people over here saw the Finale at the movies, and I’m pretty sure there were many cinemas airing it. I wonder if that affected the HBO’s viewership in any ways?

Overall though, this was a great Season, surely better than the second for sure and the third! This season is on par with the first one I’d say~

15. Alexandre
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

There were many cinemas airing it. I wonder if that affected the HBO’s viewership in any ways?

16. King Stannis
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Madinga:
    My predictions for next season:

Example: season 3 high: 5.50m season 4 low: 6.31m

I think this trend will be broken with the next season.

No big event? Were we watching the same show or was your head on the clouds thinking of that thing? You people need to get over that name that does not matter. Audience are still invested in the story and will want to continue to watch and find out what happens next.

To the person crying about the fireballs well….. Fireballs>>>>> Shadow Baby

Take your pick.

17. Alexandre
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

This season surely was better than the second for sure and the third! This season is on par with the first one I’d say~

18. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

GOAL!!! Dempsey!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

19. Matt Blake
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Great season all around!!! Now…if only I can catch up in the books…

20. rollseyes
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Just because a lot of people watch an episode does make it good it’s about the reaction afterwards.

21. Lyn
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I also think that the ratings will peake in Season 5. It can’t grow and grow, there has to be a limit. Btw I saw the episode on the cinema and it was amazing. It made me want to see every episode of the series on the big screen. Stannis’ army charging, Brienne vs The Hound, Arya on the boat, everything was so epic. It was so funny how everybody was cheering and applauding when Stannis came.

22. Charles
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the show started seeing a decline in viewership somewhere in the middle of Season 5 and continuing trend thereafter. I think we are looking at 7, maybe 8, seasons if we are lucky.

I’m basing that off of the reaction to the finale. It seems a great deal of the viewers can’t separate the book from the show and enjoy the show for what it is. As a book reader I love both the books and the show, and I loved the finale. Although there are things I wish the show included, I can understand why they weren’t absolutely necessary to show’s version of the story. Not to mention they could appear later, and in addition, D&D know the end game so I trust them to do what they feel is best. Some viewers/readers are so invested that any deviations make their head explode. I fear Season 5 will take an even larger departure from the books, and it would appear many followers can’t handle that. So I wonder if they will begin to lose interest? Time will tell.

Then you have the other group of people that have seemingly forgot that it is a fantasy series. As the seasons progress their will, without question, be more fantastical elements involved. I don’t know how far GRRM plans to take it,but if people can’t handle a couple of skeletons and some fireball children, then I doubt they can handle the possibility of a large battle at the end that is sure to very lord of the rings-esque. Even I have a hard time imagining it. Either way, magic has been reborn and they have been leading up to these moments from Day 1. Will the viewers stick with it or will they find it silly? In GRRM and D&D I trust. I hope people get off their high horse and just enjoy the freaking show. There is very little out there that is better.

23. Zack
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Charles,

Don’t worry; there are more non-readers than readers, and the former group doesn’t know to be upset about missing what they missed. And most readers will continue to watch the show to the end. It’s one thing to be upset about a single decision made in the adaptation process. It’s something else to swear off a series entirely because of a series of similar small issues.

Most readers aren’t Elio and Linda, thank the gods.

24. Zack
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

Breaking Bad’s ratings peaked with its final season. I would expect ratings to continue to climb if there is a strong endgame everything else we’re seeing is aiming towards, and I know popular opinion is the last two books are not as strong (and I share that opinion) but all will be forgiven if the next books come and show there was a reason 4 & 5 were laid out and plotted how they were.

This isn’t one of those shows that just keeps going until canceled, no end game in mind. Those are the kind of shows I expect to lose ratings after a few seasons.

I could be wrong, of course. A lot will depend on exactly how B&W tackle the next season. I will think positively.

25. Mike Chair
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
  26. Rachel Amburgey
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

People need to quit freaking out about Lady Stoneheart not being in this season. She wasn’t even in the story line yet. She doesn’t come in until the very end of the 4th book where she tries to kill Podrick and Brienne.

27. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Anyone miss the Children Of The Forest’s big cat eyes? Me neither. But Bloodraven’s look was disappointing. He’s a one eyed albino, dammit!

28. Delta1212
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Yes, GRRM has said he wishes the show had 13 episode seasons and D&D have said they’re not up to more than 10 episode seasons. When it comes to the show, GRRM isn’t the one masking that call.

29. Ser Ice
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Madinga,

u my nerd friend are a idiot…she is bad joke in the books

30. Zack
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Delta1212:
    Mike Chair,

I would bet HBO would be willing to pay for 13 episode seasons, since this is their cash cow. But the people involved in doing everything barely have enough time as it is, they’ve said. They’re working on effects for the later episodes of a season while the first few episodes are airing.

No, to get 13 episodes would mean longer than a 12-month cycle between seasons.

31. Leo
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

The ratings will continue to climb, I’m one of those hardcore book fans (NOT purist) who “HATED” the finale (and not just LSH, but every single scene) and I’m still going to watch, because it’s still really good stuff. Most Unsullied I’ve read loved the finale, cheesy fireballs is like 5% of the show c’mon. With everything in Season 5 (daznak pit, walk of shame, dorne (oberyn was well received), batttle of ice, LS, Jon+Stannis+Theon+Bolton becoming 1 storyline, Arya in Braavos), it will beat Season 4. It will. The ratings will climb.

32. SkyWrathMage
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Told you, Stoneheart did not appear.
    It’s a lesson for all bookies. Don’t expect too much. We shouldn’t act like we knew what’s best for the show. They had logical reasons of keeping her for the next seasons. Let’s just wait.

33. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Leo,

You hated Arya and the Hound’s final scene and her ‘Valar Morghulis’ scene? You hated the Jon-Stannis scenes? Tough grader, you are.

34. Devin
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Great episode, making season 5 that much more harder to wait for. Yeah, yeah, yeah- we all know winter is coming, but we also know that it won’t be until spring that we get what we really want!

Here’s a link to my episode 10 recap:

35. Leo
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Leo,

Hate is a strong word, woops, but yeah overall underwhelmed by everything, and I’m pretty easy to please (Breaker of Chains is in my top 3 this season). Dany chaining her dragons was somehow my favorite scene, and I didn’t like any of her other scenes this year. Arya’s parts in the finale, admittedly, is a close second favorite. But using her as the end scene fell flat, and not just because it wasn’t LSH. The end scene of a season should be a big visual (dragons, white walker army, Mhysa slaves all worked for me).

36. Alexandre
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:59 am | Permalink

Oops, I noticed that my previous posts were sent multiple times. Ignore that please~

And I just hope Season 5 stays as strong as the first 4 seasons, even if the latest two books are somewhat scrambled in the timeline.

I have faith in the Show and the small differences~

37. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 4:53 am | Permalink

I had a go at my own survey project; the average number of starring cast in the title sequence per season. Obviously it gets smaller every year, but this time it was a pretty substantial drop. Tedious stuff, I know.

Season 1- 15.3 out of 18
    Season 2- 16.7 out of 25
    Season 3- 18.9 out of 28
    Season 4- 15.2 out of 27

Even more cases of people raised to guest stars this year getting way less time now they’ve become regulars (Iwan & Hannah being clear examples). It does make me wonder why they raised certain people & not others. Daniel Portman’s been around just as long as Gwendoline, and he got as much screentime (partly because they joined up of course).

I do think it bodes well for season 5 and onwards though that they’re willing to drop Maisie or Peter down from their standard 9 episodes per season to make room for other people. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if there’s only 6 or 7 episodes each for Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei next season.

38. Ser Dosser
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Season should have ended with Stannis.

That Arya to Braavos ending was underwhelming.

39. Ser Dosser
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Mike Chair:
    GRRM said: THIRTEEN EPISODES!

If we get more Stannis im for it!!!!

But if the extra screen time is used for Dorne, Pyke or Brianne … no thanks.

40. Superstate
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I actually found season 4 quite disappointing. 10 episodes where so many things are getting dragged and then in the final episode 3-4 characters die!
    Things are surely going to be dragged more and more to gain more audience and make more money while at the same time loosing quality.
    Happens over and over again with every series that becomes popular and also the exact reason why I loose interest and at some point simply give up. Marketing does more bad than good to the world when it comes to media and producers should always know when to stop!

If season 5 is like season 4… then bye bye… although I do like the dragon lady ;-)

41. Ser Dosser
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Superstate,

I agree, this season was streched out to the max.

Just remember all that pointless:

- Sam and Gilly filler
    - Arya entire storyline is filler
    - Daenerys doing nothing boredom
    - Tyrion sitting in a cell for 4 episodes doing nothing
    - Not enough of Stannis

P.s. Jon is still not wearing any sort of armour but that leather shirt and the silly coat that makes him look like a plucked chicken.

I get it that they wanted to give him a “crow look”, but that outfit just looks silly like a 80s soft-rocker.

I swear its like GRRM wrote this season!

42. Tatters
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Ser Dosser,

So Stannis filler is better than Arya and Tyrions whole storyline?

43. Tatters
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Superstate,

They arent stretching anything,
    the series is based on a book.
    Watch season 1-3 almost nothing is happening till now.

44. Ser Dosser
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Tatters:
    Ser Dosser,

So Stannis filler is better than Arya and Tyrions whole storyline?

In short … F. YES !

Stannis is the only 100% testosterone man in this fantasy-show turend chick-tv-screen-filler-flick.

45. Tatters
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 7:24 am | Permalink

D&D should assign Elio and Linda to make five extra episodes, everybody wins!

46. Turncloak
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Superstate,

Except the show runners have stated time and again that the series will be 7 seasons long. That is the reverse of dragging things out. Especially since there are still 2 books that haven’t come out yet.

47. Delta1212
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

They’ve stated 7 as a target but hedged enough to allow for 8, which I think is at least as likely.

I doubt it’ll go longer than that, though. This season marked the halfway point of the show either with its middle or its end. Everything past where we are now is probably going to be closer to the end of the series than to the beginning.

48. Turncloak
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Predictions for first two episodes of season 5
    Episode 1: cold open Cersei childhood dream about the valonqar. Tywin death fallout in Kings Landing. the Brotherhood hanging Freys(with or without Lady Stoneheart). Tyrion and Vary’s arrive in Pentos and meet Illyrio. Sons of the harpy start wreaking havoc in Mereen. Balons’s death(has to happen at some point). Obara riles up the Dornish after finding out about Oberyn’s death. Doran Martell intro. Ending: Jon Snow offered to be Lord of Winterfell by Stannis
    Episode 2: Tywins funeral. Cersei sends Jaime and Bronn to Dorne to bring back Myrcella. Reek and the Boltons hold court in Winterfell. Wiman Manderly introduction. Euron Greyjoy holds the Seastone chair. Yara Greyjoy and Victorian Greyjoy call for a Kingsmoot. Bran develops his powers. Episode ending: Jon Snow elected Lord commander

49. Young Herschel
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Richard,

I am 100% in favor of Dan & David expanding the length of each episode to 75 minutes of actual film time. The FX network has made it a regular practice with Sons of Anarchy going from 52 minutes per episode to the current 77 minutes per episode and it is all the better. There are simply too many storylines and characters to continue to restrict the telecast to its standard 56 minutes of air time. Go big or Go home I say for HBO and lets recognize that this show needs to be granted an increase in time (capital) as much as it deserved its increase in money (capital) because time is money and money is time where this HBO lead franchise and its passionate fanbase are concerned!!!

If it makes dollars then doesn’t it make sense? It doesn’t have to be 90 minutes per episode but it would be nice for rare occasions like the seasonal George written episode and the 9th episode of course. 75 minutes per episode should become the new standard going forward because we know that they aren’t going to shoot more than 10 episodes for the remainder of the series right?

50. Young Herschel
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Ser Dosser,

Daeanyris did liberate Meereen and established her empire. That was significant to me as I had wondered from last year whether she was just marching from city to city without establishing a pipeline to fund her campaign and appointing stewards to rule in her absence . . . I am glad that HBO established that she is maintaining her conquests which was a point unresolved last year.

Does she also have dominion over Qarth? I think she just raided that city as she left for Slaver’s Bay as it is so far away it would be too troublesome to incorporate into an empire plus she didn’t have an army then.

1. […] these numbers together with the previously reported 32% increase in television viewership for the Season 4 finale, and it becomes even clearer that […]