Inside the Episode: The Children
By Lightbringer on in Media.

In the last Inside the Episode of the year, David Benioff and Dan Weiss take us behind the scenes of “The Children” for a closer look at the respect that Stannis shows for Jon Snow and his father Eddard Stark, as well as Cersei’s power play. They also discuss Daenerys’ dragons becoming a liability, and Brienne’s inability to convince Arya that she is trustworthy. Tyrion’s impulsive tendencies lead him to seek revenge for the way his father has treated him, and on his way he discovers that his actions have turned Shae into exactly what she was running from.

In another short behind the scenes video, Gwendoline Christie, Rory McCann, and Maisie Williams talk about preparing for, and executing the big showdown between Brienne and The Hound.

And lastly, George R.R. Martin discusses what inspired Stannis to travel North to face the Wildling army, and how they managed an easy victory.

Winter Is Coming Live: Game of Thrones Season 4 Finale by Winter Is Coming

1. TheKingWhoCared.
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Upcoming Jon/Stannis bromance confirmed

2. ikriti
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink

no stoneheart, fuck this show

3. Maverick
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

ikriti,

Some book readers are the biggest trolls

4. Koi No Yokan
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

It’s a shame LSH will possibly be ruined for Unsullied by book readers having a cry on social media. Not that I’m completely convinced that she’ll still appear, but it’s certainly a possibility.

Overall, I was quite happy with the finale. I thought Bran’s and Tyrion’s scenes were a little rushed (and had problems of their own), but apart from that they were great. The Hound/Arya’s scenes were pitch perfect, as were Jon/Mance/Stannis and Dany’s. Season 4 is definitely my favourite season of the series thus far, despite a few hiccups along the way.

Dreading the wait, but excited for what’s to come! Bring on the Dornish!

5. Hawk
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

The biggest surprise of this episode for me was that of all the big moments the fight between Brienne and the Hound would be the most memorable. The music, the choreography, the scenery and the performances by both actors all added up to one of the best action scenes the show has ever done.

If there’s one thing I’d love to see get recognised more on this show its the amazing score by Ramin Djwadi, the fact that he’s never even been nominated for the music on this show is unbelievable, no other show on TV has such memorable (yet perfectly subtle when it needs to be) and at times beautiful music.

And now our watch (for season 5) begins…

6. A wolf named Dire
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Anyone find it odd that George pronounced Stannis two different ways in one short minute long clip? Of all the people to have a defined way of pronouncing his characters names you would think it would be him lol.

7. Lyn
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Hawk,

Yes the music was incredible. Hearing the Real North when Ygritte was being burned in the pyre was heartbreaking and felt like a much better goodbye than that of episode 9. The same goes for Breaker of Chains, when Dany was chaining her dragons. A ver sad moment. And He is Lost and Oathkeeper gave an intensity to Bran and Brienne’s battles that made them epic. And The Children being played with Arya sailing to Braavos was just eargasmic lol.

8. ikriti
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

im serious, if that isnt in the first episode of season 5 im done with this show, not trolling

9. Sam
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

i already have two unsullied friends who have been spoiled on LS by the stupid articles about how they DIDN’T put that scene in the episode. one didn’t even have to click the article, it had a picture by the title and just scrolling by it was enough to be spoiled.

those stupid articles were only written to answer stupid fans on boards like these who had a giant, crying hissy fit. hence, i blame you indirectly for spoiling my friends.

10. A wolf named Dire
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

nvmd

11. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Sam,

It is not people’s fault for having an opinion. They are allowed to do that. It is the fault of writers and website editors for being careless with their headlines and photo choices. We all know it’s a huge spoiler, so people putting the spoiler name in titles and using obvious photos are being irresponsible and just plain rude to the fans. But don’t blame fellow fans for having an opinion abut the show.

A wolf named Dire,

It’s not deleted, it was never posted- it was in the spam filter. now it isn’t.

12. Dorian
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

ikriti:

Then the fandom is well rid of someone with such exceedingly poor impulse control. And taste.

13. Maverick
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink

ikriti,

Well if you want a straw I can provide you with one so you can suck it the fuck up. We don’t need to know if you are done watching or not.

14. smitzzz
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink

ikriti:

Good for you? I dunno what you are expecting , you think anybody here cares or is going to try to talk you out of it? it’s a tv show , get over yourself and go to westeros.org and flood them with your tears , book readers are only annoyed because they insisted that she was a shoein and when she didn’t appear they all looked stupid despite the fact that many people tried to point out the obvious lack of any build up , go cry elsewhere.

15. ramsayreek
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

ikriti,

Ikriti is going to stop watching the show? OH NO! STOP THE PRESSES!

Good riddance.

16. Sam
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I don’t mean to just criticize anyone who thinks, “hmm. I would have preferred if they had made a different adaptation choice.” There’s nothing wrong with that and it’s the bread and butter of a site like this.

It’s just that for some reason, something about the strength and virulence of the opinions this time around gave rise to all these articles across the internet (EW, IO9, Fansided, etc.) attempting to address the clearly visible apoplexy.

You may be right that I should blame these writers and editors, and not the fans, but to me it seems like it all collectively adds up to a failure of the fandom, which is too bad because I was so impressed with how everybody held on to the secret of the RW for so long that so many people managed to watch it completely in the dark as to what was going to happen.

17. jentario
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

This comment section is rather funny

18. Lexyvil
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I’m tired of people complaining the absence of LS when there’s enough room for the next two Seasons to introduce her.

I think some people had their expectation over the limit, anticipating her so much that they actually believed that she would make an appearance and ending up being disappointed.

Even if she didn’t make it in this episode, it was still quite an eventful Finale, wrapping up most of the stories and we even got some extra surprising scenes.

People need to accept the fact that the show-runners are doing their best to tell a story as close as possible from its raw material. The changes they make are necessary to save money or to simplify the story for non-book readers.

In my opinion, after seeing so many things happening in this Finale, it probably would have been too random seeing a dead Catelyn walking about with how much they already had to show. The actress wasn’t even asked to come back on the show (yet) or was she even asked.

Season 5 will need a lot of good content to be as good or remotely as good as this season was, therefore it would make sense why the creators decided to save LS for later.

19. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Sam,

People held onto the secret of the RW because it appeared on schedule, and we knew it would never be cut. This, not so much…so everyone is afraid. I think part of the problem with these articles is everyone is so concerned with SEO and linkbait, they’re putting the buzz words and character names right out there in the title on purpose, which is pretty tacky when big spoilers are involved.

20. Lexyvil
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I don’t know why some people are mad about the absence of LS when there’s enough room for the next two Seasons to introduce her. It could be that some had their expectations too high, anticipating her so much that they actually believed that she would make an appearance.

Even if she didn’t make it in this episode, I still found it to be an eventful finale, wrapping up most of the stories and we even got some extra surprising scenes.

The show-runners are doing their best to tell a story as close as possible from its raw material. The changes they make are necessary to save money or to simplify the story for non-book readers.

In my opinion, after seeing so many things happening in this finale, it probably would have been too random seeing a dead Catelyn walking about with how much they already had to show. The actress wasn’t even asked to come back on the show nor was she even asked (yet).

Season 5 will need a lot of good content to be as good or remotely as good as this season was, therefore it would make sense why the creators have decided to save the remaining good content for later.

21. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Unless a storyline that I really hate occurs in the next series, I shall continue to watch the show, provided I’m still around when the next series airs. What I find more annoying than any slips ‘twixt the book and the script are the silly pop-up votes that show up on this site now (and I do have Adblockplus intalled). Fortunately one can close the pop ups (my computer is set not to show pop ups but they get through in any case). If ikriti is tired of the show he/she has a right to his/her opinion though I don’t happen to share it. I’m not saying I don’t have a few cases where I wish the adaptation had been handled differently but still find much more to like than dislike in the show.

22. Lord Snow
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I was very pleased with the show except that I expected the three eyed raven to look more like he does in the books (just because it’s a very epic image in my opinion and as much as I can picture him in my brain I would have liked an interpretation from the show), maybe leaf too, I don’t mind it that much since I really understand the big “barrier” they have with the budget of the season considering all the other effects they had to do. If they “adjust” them next season I would be greatly pleased.

As for the LS part, I, for some reason expected her to be introduced right after the RW meaning the beginning of the season, and since that didn’t happen I knew she wouldn’t be in this season. I’d also like to add that after watching the entire season I agree with their decision of not showing her at all. I think that it is better for her to be introduced and maybe do more things in an adequate amount of time next season (if they decide to put her in) . This season just had a lot of material and some scenes felt a little rushed.

Jon’s and Arya’s scenes were my favourite. Can’t wait for further interviews for this season. Game of Thrones epic as always

23. Sam
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I agree with Lexyvil, I guess. I just wish the “everyone is afraid” thing you mention hadn’t been true.

Almost every time people have worried about something being cut they have turned out to be wrong (with the exception of Coldhands). Even this episode had an example of that, with the inclusion of Tyrion killing Shae — I remember when people were SO SURE that they were “whitewashing” Tyrion, or that Shae loved him too much, etc. etc.

None of that means that LS is definitely in. But thematically, I can see lots of reasons for pushing her to next year. Namely, if we are going to be introduced to the Manderlys, maybe some more Umbers, in the context of the Boltons trying to secure their hold on the North — the idea that “the North Remembers” would dovetail very nicely with the Stoneheart story. Do I know for sure that they have something like this in mind? No. But I wish people would have restrained themselves before letting their feelings reach fever pitch. I couldn’t even bother with the boards once they hit 300 comments or so.

24. Lord Snow
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Sam,

The point you make about “The North Remembers” seems like a really good “theme” for a season (even an opeaning or a part of it). Never thought about it until now

25. Ashara D
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I agree that it is completely irresponsible of these web folks to put that stuff out there, but they wouldn’t be doing that if it weren’t for the ridiculous drama queens declaring their hate over and over and over again, refusing to discuss other possibilities rationally and…well, trolling. The webbers are looking for any way to increase traffic and what could be better than the most popular television show in history? If these people here would just quit with the histrionics, the web folks would lay off!

Btw, (not directed at you Fury) I really resent the identification of these awful overly dramatic trolls as “book readers.” I am a book reader and do not feel this way!

Please, everyone: don’t feed the trolls! End the controversy by not responding to obvious histrionics! Don’t click on to those sites that are spoiling! WE hold the power!

/rant

26. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Lord Snow:

I like that they made him look more human in the show. He actually looks a lot like the Norse God Odin (who Gandalf is partly modeled on), which seems to fit so far in the North. So many have complained that he looks like a wizard, but why is that a bad thing? These archetypes have roots (pun intended) in some very old mythologies, and this familiar sight made the scene more powerful, IMO, than if it had been a nearly inhuman alien.

27. jentario
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Lord Snow,

I think the reason they didn’t make a root sprout out of his eye was for long term purposes. Showing that once means they have to commit to a prosthetic and to good looking CGI for every scene in which he appears. That said, shouldn’t it be “A thousand eyes and TWO”? I hope they address the eye thing in season 5.

28. Ashara D
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Sam,

Exactly! No one is railing at George that he better not kill off [insert favorite character here] in the next book. Why do they feel that they need to do that to the tv production? GEORGE IS INVOLVED WITH THIS ADAPTATION! He trusts D&D. Can’t all of the fandom do the same? When something doesn’t happen the same way as in the books, can we discuss the future possibilities rather than pouting and whining like two-year-olds?

Thanks, Sam, for being a rational voice here. I may have to take a break as you did until this ridiculousness has passed. I’m starting to piss myself off with how pissed I’m getting…

29. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Not to mention that the Norse God Odin sacrificed himself by hanging from the great tree, Ygdrassil. The show, I think, went with a much more tried and true image with Bloodraven. Good choice, IMO.

30. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Lord Snow,

One of his eyes did seem to be missing.

31. jentario
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I just watched the scene and he has two eyes.
    Maybe they could say one of his eyes is blind, or add some sort of prosthetic next year…

32. Genevosey
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

ikriti,

She serves zero purpose and I am glad she was cut. I hope she is cut for good.

33. Josla
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I just watched the episode. Am I too late to share my opinion?
    Overall I feel the finale was good. Not my favorite, but full of great moments nonetheless (Brienne/Arya/Sandor, Dany, Jon/Stannis, Arya’s final scene). My problem was (like most people here it seems) with Bran storyline. I liked it, but unlike others I thought the CGIed wights were believable and well done. The fireballs were the main turnoff for me and I couldn’t help thinking “wow these Wights are so fast, blood thirsty and efficient…” by comparison the one who attacked Jon and those who surrounded Sam in season two were so slow and ineffective. How in the world could Sam survived that? I also had problems with Tyrion’s scene, not because it didn’t match perfectly it’s book counterpart, my problem was basically regarding Shae. They made her so sympathetic and their love so big that I feel the moment should have been more heartbreaking and better executed. Aside for those little things I really enjoyed it.

34. Lord Snow
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I see what you’re saying. I just like the fantasy part in the books so much that I like it a lot when they put that on screen. They might as well made him sit down rather than hang from roots :P

35. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I don’t really understand the fuss. I saw it coming, many saw it coming, that people were boarding the hype train and seeing things that weren’t there and were setting up for disappointment.
    “OMG a track called ‘Oathkeeper’, must be SH“, “OMG, that instagram picture by Lena Headey totally confirms it!!” and so on.
    They brought this on themselves. EW and other sites are being opportunistic with the clickbait, but all the butthurt and nerd rage wouldn’t have happened if everyone kept their expectations in check.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but bitching and cursing and going all dramatic with the “I’m done with this show” crap gets annoying real quick.

36. Maverick
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Josla,

I work with visual effects, and I can tell you those skeletons were stop motion animation and not CGI. That is probably why the effect looked really clumsy, it would have probably been awesome if they used animatronics and make life like puppets of wights and control them like they use in most creature films but that shit is probably hollywood level effects.

37. MUGger
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

ikriti,

Is that you Elio? Or is it Linda instead?

38. GRRMlin
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

While this was probably the strongest season, the changes from the books were mostly rubbish. So was the filler.

39. jennyofoldstones
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

I agree completely. Ikriti should be allowed to express his/her opinion and frustration with that particular omission. But I do consider the books and the TV show to be two separate entities and therefore am not too upset when certain things are changed or left out, even if it means some of the characterizations and characters’ motivations are different from what they are in the books. And my favourite characters have been left pretty much intact so I’m happy, i.e. Jon, Stannis, Davos, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Dany, Theon and Tyrion.

40. Ashara D
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

So, after watching the Rory/Gwen video, I’m thinking that Brienne and Pod might just take the Hound to the Quiet Isle to be healed.I can’t offhand think of any butterfly effects, other than the certain knowledge that he’s alive.And if they play it right, those two could even leave without actually knowing that this is true. I guess it depends on whether or not Sandor is meant to be the Champion of the Faith as some have conjectured. His transformation would be a nice foil to the physical transformation of his brother. And set up the battle for which he has waited all of his life. What do you-all think? Too much of a trope for George?

41. Ashara D
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Maverick,

Aaahh. So, consciously or unconsciously, it WAS a tribute to Ray Harryhousen! Cool! Thanks, Mav!

42. FreyJoy
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I think it actually makes sense not to have Lady Stoneheart and Balon Greyjoy’s death. Moving these to later seasons will enable more condensed storytelling, and combine the introduction with other plot points, rather than making them separate events. For example, we have Stannis at the wall now, so that combines two story lines for now. Based on the books, largely unknown destinations for characters such as Tyrion, Arya and Jorah and casting rumors the number of locations is expanding despite that, so I am intrigued how they will deal with this, even by already moving around the events. Will just have to wait a few more months!

43. Carne
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink
  44. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Ashara D:
    Maverick,

Graves specifically mentioned being inspired by Harryhausen for that scene.

45. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Nice to see this particular comment thread is a lot more civilized than some of the others, so let’s hope it stays that way. Regarding the 3-eyed-raven, I take the “thousand eyes and one” to be a more figurative line than a literal one, so I thought that was fine. I suppose in a sense he looked to be about 90 or so, whereas I imagine I figured on someone looking even more dessicated, like somewhere in the range of 300 years old, if that’s at all possible. Maybe just a longer beard. As we find more, we’ll find he’s ancient.

For as much criticism there is of the wight battle, I went back and read that passage – they did come up from the ground and grab Hodor and Bran, et cetera. The description is pretty spare – some more like men than anything else, and Leaf did burn them with fire (though fireballs seem like an embellishment, but not all that big. Still pretty cool). Either way, the Harryhausen tribute was really friggin’ cool and I was nearly screaming. “SKELETONS!! AAGH!”

Overall, as time sinks in, I can’t help but feel it was a really, really good finale. Jon had time to mourn his loss, meet Stannis and point to a new direction, we see a ruined Tyrion in a box of all things, and Arya off to another shore, and a brutal, BRUTAL Brienne/Hound tilt, which was just, wow. In time, I think this will be thought of as one of the strongest finales (I still am partial to Fire and Blood). (The Jaime/Cersei scene still rings false to me, but that’s less a problem with this episode than it is Breaker of Chains.)

I could care less about Coldhands. He’s not a character so much as a means of conveyance, and those characters have always been on the chopping block for the TV show.

I wanted LS. We didn’t get her. I’m going to watch it again to give it another look without her without my expectations. I suspect I’ll like it even more.

46. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I didn’t mind the fact that he looked like a wizard because fundamentally that’s what he is. But they could have done more prosthesis work to make him look more integrated into the tree. Basically they had him sitting amid the roots and had a couple of small roots entwined around his arms…IMO that simply wasn’t enough. I can think of ways to do it that wouldn’t have been difficult and would not require hours and hours in the make up chair.

47. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

FreyJoy: I think it actually makes sense not to have Lady Stoneheart and Balon Greyjoy’s death. Moving these to later seasons will enable more condensed storytelling, and combine the introduction with other plot points, rather than making them separate events.

We’ll get Balon Greyjoy before long. That one won’t get skipped. It may hold until late Season 5, depending on when or if we get Euron/Vic et al. But right now, the Greyjoys just less necessary.

48. spacechampion
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

jentario:

Good grief. Seriously, every thread dude?

NO, it should not be a thousand eyes and TWO. That would be taking a metaphor and wanting it to be anatomically correct. The metaphor is about the THIRD eye, the greenseering eye, not his physical eyes. His two physical eyes would be part of the THOUSAND.

49. FreyJoy
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Agree – we will see introduction of some (but maybe not all) uncles together with that event.

wonder whether Yara will replace Victarion given that she has already seen the state of Reek this season. Not sure that she needs to be in the North for the rest of the story!

50. Leaf
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

The ending of the season could have been so much better!

51. Varamyr 4-skin
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

ikriti,

I would be so happy if u stopped watching then we won’t have to listen to ur idiotic complaints about the show. It annoys me when ppl complain who know nothing about story development or making a tv show.
    U complain as If u could adapt it better. If u were a show runner this show would be the worst show in history of tv

52. Ser Arys Oakheart
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

To all those people who can’t stop with this LS nonsense.

53. MW
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Maverick,

IMO even bad stop-motion animation looks better than most rubbery CGI monsters. There are a lot of hack 3D animators doing CGI for shows and movies.

54. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

FreyJoy:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

I hope so! I was delighted to hear that we’re getting most of Dorne via those casting rumors. If we actually did get the Greyjoys, I’d be thrilled. It would mean the basic bones of the entire thing are staying the same, never mind all the modest deviations. (Oh, and Wyman Manderly. We have to have BRIAN BLESSED.)

55. Snake
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

It’s strange that they didn’t even address the Bran’s scene.
    I’d love to hear their thoughts behind that scene and BR.

56. Seanathin
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hawk:

Amen to that. This is one of the only shows that every season I look forward to the soundtrack almost as much as the show its self. BSG being the last one.

57. brian
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

ikriti:

I TOTALLY RESPECT THIS.
    I’m sorry for you for all the people who don’t.
    I myself wont be watching because I don’t want to be spoiled
    with things I believe Martin and the books will deliver
    much better than D&D could hope to. (some of which they took the liberty
    to toss into this season)
    Many people on this site seem to entertain the idea that because
    D&D ‘know’ the ending that they will deliver.
    I just don’t really agree with that anymore.
    It doesn’t stop me from being interested in the show and coming to a site
    like this, for now.

58. Kael of the Lake
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 5:02 am | Permalink

It’s perfectly normal, imho, for people to come into this site and state their opinion, even if it’s whining or personal feelings that not everybody agrees with, as long as they stay civilized and avoid name-calling for different opinions. That’s why there is a comment section, it’s its purpose.
    What I can’t stand and find extremely annoying is the easiness that one can call someone else a troll. That is what wastes space and adds absolutely nothing to a conversation. I wish they become little less emotional about other people’s opinions and realize that because they call someone a troll first, it doesn’t mean either that they can tell a troll or that they automatically win an argument and be allowed to join the pack. It’s plain nonsense.

The reason that a certain book character created chaos and ultimately became spoiled is not because of book-purity. Those who know beforehand can understand (and probably be right) that his/her appearance will create a wtf-moment, a strategy that D&D and HBO trained us to expect and enjoy wholeheartedly. The time was suitable, the pieces were set.
    Honestly, I found the 10nth episode to be good, I had a very few problems with it, more rights than wrongs. But nothing special whatsoever. That strange character we all put in spoiler tags could make a real, mind-blowing difference, it could have shoot it to the sky. It didn’t happen and I’m ok with it although I can perfectly understand anyone who tries to explain how good it could have been.
    The best time it could have been introduced was in the s3e10 episode, when the actor was available, the events recent and the impact the greatest. It could have balanced the RW aftermath (and that over there proves I’m not a book-purist). It could but it didn’t so let’s move on.

Partially I blame the producers for making it sound that we would witness the best episode in the history of TV. They’ve created an over-hype that in the end couldn’t deliver and made the result underwhelming. I mean, we would have watched and enjoyed the episode either way, GoT has an established fan-base and most of its viewers are regulars, they didn’t need to make it sound like an apocalypse in the filming industry. It was not that good.

The scenes of Tyrion were perfect, emotionally heavy and Dinklage was once again flawless. I was also impressed by the Hound and everybody else in that scene, nothing seemed off place despite not happening in the books.

My (minor) problem was offing Jojen in such a ridiculous way. First Jojen is an important character. We’ve seen plenty of wargs, priests do their magic, dragons, what have you but being a greenseer like Jojen must be an extremely rare quality. No other is mentioned.
    The way they killed him was kind of lame, he didn’t even moved his hand to put the knife aside, he acted like completely paralyzed and that was kinda off-putting. I know he’s not a warrior or something but he could at least die fighting, an honorable death, sacrificing himself so the others can go. He deserved a heroic death and they deprived him of it. Sad.

And that’s it. Every other change, initiative or decision worked for me and made it overall a good episode, not great but satisfying.
    Apologies for the big rant.

59. inegve
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 5:54 am | Permalink

I think D&D dropped the ball in the last 2 episodes.As great as the whole 9th episode was , it needed 7-8 extra minutes for Stanis and his arrival.The momentum was so wrong to put this in the beginning of episode 10, that it felt just “meh”. I thought they completely messed up Jaime’s arc this season as well.By having this horrible rapey scene early in the season and then finish with a sex scene in the 10th episode.By this point in the books Jaime has already started distancing himself from Cersei and she’s fucked half the Red Keep in the meantime.I don’t know if there are no nude scenes in Lena’s contract or they can’t be bothered to cover her tattos with maek-up of cgi but Cersei’s character also lacks this side from the books.But removing Tysha all together makes the last scene completely random.The conversation with Jaime is what pushes Tyrion to go to the tower of the hand in the first place.It decimates his last stable relationship with Jaime, he feels betrayed and has nothing to lose.It defines his whole character arc later in the books.And we had NONE of that in the book.Also keeping LS for season 5 is a HUGE tempo miss as well.You just can’t hype the last episode and end it with Arya on a ship to Bravoos.

60. Wolven
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I expect it’s a bit late to talk about it, but I really loved this episode, particularly the title ‘The Children’ and how a lot of the scenes were thematically linked under it – the children of the forest, the twisted legacy of Tywin Lannister and how he brought about his own downfall through his relationship with his children and how Arya and the other Stark children have developed and are carrying on the legacy of their parents in a completely different way. I think the actors all performed superbly as well, although I was a bit disappointed/confused by Bran’s early arrival at the weirwood – I mean, what are they going to do with him for two books-worth?

61. Eljuma
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

inegve,

The value of a 66 minute episode shouldn’t be judged on the presence of a cliffhanger.