Lena Headey visits Jimmy Kimmel Live, talks the future of Cersei Lannister
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Lena Headey visited Jimmy Kimmel Live this week to chat Game of Thrones. The pair talked about the unusually high mortality rate in Westeros, and the lack of ceremony when saying goodbye to a cast member. Lena admits that she doesn’t always know what’s coming in Cersei’s future, but her mom reads the books with a highlighter lets her know when something exciting is coming up.

Lena and Jimmy also shared a goblet of wine and slung veiled insults at each other in the style of Cersei Lannister.

Lena also spoke with The Daily Beast this week about Cersei’s relationship with her father Tywin, and Cersei’s mindset heading in to Season 5.

In Sunday’s finale we saw Cersei finally confront her father about her looming marriage to Loras Tyrell, and threaten to reveal her relationship with Jaime to ruin the family name and Tommen’s claim to the throne if she was forced to go through with the nuptials.

On Cersei’s tense relationship with her father, Lena says, “He is, without a doubt, the shittest Dad in the world. All she’s wanted to do is sit with him and have him tell her she’s doing great, and he loves her, but she’s given up on that. As a child, you never stop wanting to be validated by your parents—especially with a daughter to a father—and that’s why she has problems with her brothers, because she thinks, “If I were a guy, this would be easier.” But she has a lot to contend with, Cersei.”

Cersei won’t have to worry about pleasing her father anymore, and although his death leaves her in a position of power, that doesn’t mean she will have an easy time in Season 5.

“She’s lost Joffrey… she’s also fearful because Margaery is getting very close to Tommen and she really doesn’t like her very much. I don’t know how they’re going to write her reaction to Tywin’s death, but I’m sure there’s going to be some sort of celebration for her in it. But Tywin’s also given her the knowledge that the Lannisters are pretty much broke, so I think she’s overwhelmed with it all.

Cersei’s built where you meet her as this woman who seems to have it all under control—her head’s very nice and she’s well-dressed—and underneath it’s a whirling mess. So we really get to see what’s underneath that façade as the seasons go on, and I think next season is going to be particularly brutal for her.”

For Lena’s full interview visit The Daily Beast. (Warning: It contains minor book spoilers for Cersei’s storyline) She reveals just what that Instagram that we got into a fervor over was all about, and talks about her portrayal of Cersei, Cersei’s complex relationship with her brothers, her favorite moment to shoot this season, and much more.

Game of Thrones Season Four Finale Power Rankings by winteriscoming

1. Turncloak
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

So what was her Instagram post about?

2. House Mormont
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Cersei is not an evil character smh are people just unable to empaphise

3. HeySwanSong
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

She says she didn’t know what she was doing when she made the stone heart photo, but I don’t believe her for a second. In the Kimmel video she is wearing a shirt with a heart on it that says “I’m Not Sorry!”

4. queenofthorns
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

ha! So the stone heart was just a coincidence. Funny.

5. queenofthorns
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

HeySwanSong,

She actually tweeted about the shirt and said that also was a coincidence!

6. Delta1212
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I never put as much stock in the stone heart photo as many people seem to have done simply because I know a lot of people who do that kind of thing. A heart is just a really common shape to make using random crap. One picture, taken in a completely different context, that references future events on the show does not suddenly mean that every picture connected with Lena Headey is secretly a spoiler for the show.

7. Jen@House Stark
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

:sniffs: Can you smell that? Smells like bullsh&t.

8. Sister Wrister
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Too many coincidences.

House Mormont,

I was unable to empathize with the Cersei I read about in the books. I mean, her motivations are there, but the paranoia, internal shit talking and relentless “plotting and scheming” made it very difficult for me to empathize or even give a shit about her. To me, that’s a great character, and she has been placed in the hands of a very capable actor, with solid development from the producers. it’s easier for me to not hate her in the show.

9. Lyn
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

It’s incredible how a lot people are hating on Lena for raising their hopes about you know what. It’s THEIR fault, not hers. She only posted a photo of stones and a lot of people interpreted it wrongly as a spoiler when it had nothing to do with Game of Thrones.

10. umuckurlife
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

“we really get to see what’s underneath that façade”. Yes…I hope we do get to see Cersei’s Walk of Punishment

11. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I wonder if Lena’s mum is excited about “that scene” and whether they’ll even go there at all. The wine-drinking round was great, made even better by the fact they didn’t even bother hiding the script.

12. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I read an interview where she said she just found some rocks and made a heart out of them, entirely clueless to what it means. She hasn’t read the books, so she isn’t familiar with the name.

Do you want a link? I can try

EDIT: Well… It was linked in the post! lol

13. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Can we all appreciate how awesome Lena Headey is? She is crazy (in a good way)!

14. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

She is dellusional, crazy and doesn’t give half a shit about anyone outside her inner circle. It’s as close to evil as a normal human being can get.

15. Jon
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:

16. Rabbit
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Bah, how many tattoos got this woman? A few are ok, but you really can imagine how does look her back…Still a weird person, but in a better way ;)

17. Rabbit
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

p.s.: I really wanna see the walk of shame, because, I can’t believe she’s actually doing this :D

18. ebevan91
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I found out where the bulk of next year’s budget is going to go:

Covering up Lena’s tattoos if Cersei does her walk.

19. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

ebevan91,

They’ll probably use a body double for the more revealing shots and focus on showing Lena’s face, and maybe breasts, to avoid this issue. I wonder if her front is tattooed, maybe they CAN do a full body shot without extensive makeup. But yeah, body double.

20. Snake_Pliskan
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Jon: They are definitely going to do the walk scene , Lena has mention that scene in a couple of interviews already.

….but…but….she hasn’t read the books. How can she know about that?

21. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

jentario,

If you see pictures of Hafthor’s arms then you know they are just great canvases of flesh and muscle, but they had no problem removing all evidence of that for his training scene in 407.

22. Dolorous Ned
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Snake_Pliskan,

Well, obviously D&D told her. Even if actors decide not to read the books, knowing where their character is headed can’t hurt.

23. zod
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Her tatoos aren’t a problem at all : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ&feature=kp

24. ebevan91
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Lena Headey knows where the story goes up through book 5.

She mentioned in an interview that she read the ASOIAF wiki.

25. whatsit
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Cersei is not an evil character smh are people just unable to empaphise

Seems the right reaction to a character who cannot empathise with anyone. Ever.

Cersei is a toxic narcissist who in the book couldn’t even wrap her head around people being a the tiniest bit weirded out by her sociopathic son Joffrey needlessly torturing kittens.

26. Darquemode
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

The interviews do nothing to change my first opinion of the stone heart photo… It meant nothing.

Most likely it was just Lena being the fun and cute person she is by sending a pic to a cast member. Whether she has read the books or not, she probably has heard of Lady Stoneheart, was thinking of Fairley after seeing some stones, and presto – A stone heart photo.

Even if she has not heard of Lady Stoneheart I think it’s far more likely she just sent a heart made of stones than she was hinting at some spoiler for an upcoming episode that may or may not happen more than a year later! XD

27. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

New interview with D&D. “No comment” on LS, but some great stuff is in there with season 5 teases! I can’t wait for fan questions at comic-con.

28. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

^^Also, official Dorne confirmation. If anyone still doubted it.

29. gianoshoes
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Rabbit:

She’s implied in an interview (that talked spoilers) that the walk of shame is happening. She said something about that’s why you don’t see Cersei naked in the show so far because it would make an impact when she’s naked during that walk…

30. Jordan
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Just read the interview. I found that comment interesting about splitting up the books so as not to need to cut tons of characters.

I think in part they are talking about how a lot of the regular “cast” is absent in AFFC, but it also makes me think/hope that by covering some of the ADWD stuff already, there’s room in the next season for new characters to be cast (i.e. Greyjoys).

31. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Jordan,

They’ll be done with ADWD and AFFC very early in season 6. Most of both books will be covered in season 5. So we’ll get all of our characters in it. No split stories in the show.

It was a bad move in the books and it could have killed the show to follow it. Seriously, if viewers had to deal with AFFC bullshit (and there was a lot of it, good moments were sparse in a book made mostly of world building and internal monologues) the ratings would drop to season 1-2 levels.

Season 5 will essentially be what the fourth ASOIAF book was supposed to be, barring a few changes.

32. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

jentario,

They mention Jaime’s jetpack. Maybe he will make it to Dorne and still wind up in the Riverlands at the end of the season?

33. Chriss
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

There isn’t any bullshit in A Feast for Crows. It’s a brilliant book, just so much for those suffering ADD who need a character death!! Or big fight!!! Every three pages. For people who care about the characters, the world, or the quality of writing, the book is brilliant.

I did think in retrospect, though, that they should do a reprint with the fourth book and first part of the fifth book as one. I’d be really interested in seeing how differently people would react to that.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on Lena. I don’t think that was just a coincidence. I was absolutely fuming about LS. And I think she trolled us, and I think it’s absolutely hilarious. Even more so, that she so brazenly wears that ‘I’m not Sorry’ heart top. Bloody hilarious. Love Lena.

34. House Mormont
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

jentario,

whatsit,

Show-Cersei is not the 2D crazy bitch from the books, all her ‘flaws’ are shaped by how she has been treated/neglected all her life

35. Jon
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Karl:
    This Kimmel person is almost as unfunny as the guy posting his boring videos here with one week delay for no reason.

this videos have been post because Lena Headey appears, no one really cares if Kimmel is funny or not I think.

36. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Yeah I know that part was hilarious. I am glad they are aware of the jokes and still don’t give a shit.
    And time (and interviews) will tell whether they will do what you say and include that arc. Specifically, Tobias Menzies and Clive Russel interviews. We should sick Flicks and the City on them once shooting starts.

37. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

True, she’s better in the show, but still a crazy bitch. She still thought it was fair to kill Lady and she still demanded Jamie to kill both Tyrion and Sansa. And I think that they’ve played her descent into insanity really well this season- assuming it continues next season we should see her do the same horrible things as in the books, roughly- such as sending people to Qyburn.

I am not saying she’s a bad character, she’s an amazing character, but you can definitely clarify her as one tier below the psychopaths (Joffrey, Ramsay, Walder Frey?) in terms of her evil scale- and obviously, there’s no such thing as pure evil (aside from the psychopaths, which have a hardly human mentality).

38. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Chriss,

Come on, it has it’s moments but most of it is absolutely not TV material. And that’s fact.

39. Jon Arryn
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    House Mormont,

I don’t think Cersei is that evil. She only tries to survive and protect his children. If you consider her an evil psychopath you also should consider Arya as one because she has been killing to survive and for vengeance the entire series.

40. Arian
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

her mom is gonna be proud to see cersei’s walk of punishment lol

41. asdfg
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Chriss,

You obviously lack attention and the only thing that piques your interest are most likely insipid action beats. But for those who appreciate the subtleties of character building, Feast is a real treat, and will make for some of the best tv they’ve produced yet, if they can pull it off properly.

42. Isabelle
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

“I believe your wife must say that to you every night” :DDDDD

jentario:
    Can we all appreciate how awesome Lena Headey is? She is crazy (in a good way)!

YES! She’s such a troll, in the most delightful, can’t-help-but-be-charming way. I had such a rotten day today, full of planes that refused to work and the accompanying travel delays, so all I wanted was a glass of wine and time mucking about on the Internet. This interview was fab.

43. jentario
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

asdfg,

Thanks for the insult.
    Now, I don’t see how the first half of AFFC could make for good television. How much screentime should they devote for Brienne to go around asking for a maid of four and ten with auburn hair? Three hours? A lot of stuff will be cut, and for the better. The highlights will remain in some form: like Brienne and Stoneheart, like Arya’s stuff, like most of Cersei’s stuff, like Dorne and hopefully the Iron Islands as well. I appreciate that book for what it is, but putting it up as a full season of television without ADWD material would have sucked. No amount of good writing will make up for the unreasonably slow pace of that book and the fact that it shelves most of the series most important storylines. That’s my opinion.

44. GeekFurious
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    So what was her Instagram post about?

Playing you like a fiddle.

45. John M W
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Chriss,

*sigh*

Widely held opinion —> Yes.

Fact —> No.

46. jentario
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 5:13 am | Permalink

John M W,

The show would drop in popularity if it develops a season purely out of AFFC. And yes, it might as well be a fact and not an opinion. Obviously I can’t prove it but I’d bet a lot of money on it.

47. John M W
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

jentario:
    John M W,

The show would drop in popularity if it develops a season purely out of AFFC.

I don’t disagree. But probably for somewhat different reasons than you.

I’m going to pretend you’re having me on. Because if not…I just…can’t even.

48. jentario
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

John M W,

Not having you on, but AFFC would turn off a lot of people as a TV season. Even you agreed there.
    I appreciate the book for what it is (even with what I consider “AFFC bullshit”) but it could not sustain GOT’s popularity and not just because it lacks “deaths and battles”. Yes, calling it fact is not technically correct since it wouldn’t be proven until it happens, but find me someone who disagrees and thinks AFFC would make a good TV season and I would chop my ball sack.

49. jentario
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 9:11 am | Permalink

And just to clarify, I meant AFFC on it’s own.

50. Strider
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Hilarious GoT wine drinking game. I like her public persona. And loved the T-shirt too.

Chriss:

A very interesting idea. Last year someone sent me a re-reading guide with chapters from both books intertwined in what they think is the chronological order. I never read it like that because I liked Feast and Dance as they were to begin with. But the truth is that shuffling stuff around is part of the editing process as well, to give the book a different rhythm. In the end not sure it matters though.