Maisie Williams on how her life has changed since Game of Thrones, Arya’s popularity, and a great Season 5
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

1. jentario
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

The video is not showing up on my phone.

2. Needle Point
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Stannis? Stannis.

3. GeekFurious
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

How can you not lover her?

I mean, how can you not love her without being a massive douche.

4. JTargs
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    The video is not showing up on my phone.

It works on mine! :) I have android

5. Rafael
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Great interview :)

6. Greenjones
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Is late July later than last year to begin shooting? Or is that just when it begins for her?

7. House Mormont
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

She’s so grown up and articulate now, she’s like a 5ft version of Lena Headey!

It’s weird as someone going to uni in September, seeing a 16 year old already living an independent life and being so level headed about it, despite all the fame

8. House Mormont
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Probably late for her, since they only have 1 braavos set and Arya won’t be using it, so I assume areas like KL and the Wall and Winterfell will record before her

9. Lyn
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Have you guys seen GRRM’s interview about WOW in Entertainment Weekley?? Btw Maisie is such a sweetheart. I love how humble and mature she is.

10. Clob
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    She’s so grown up and articulate now, she’s like a 5ft version of Lena Headey!

Kinda weird to think about how she’ll turn 18 shortly after season 5 starts. Especially after watching the series premiere again and seeing the little girl in pigtails.

11. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Being from Bristol, I find it funny that someone who is now so well known on an international scale is from a very small local village just a few miles down the road and was on the local news! It is pretty cool….. and Maisie is pretty cool too!

12. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

She’s grown up so much since the first interview I saw her give during season 1 shooting, just lovely – what parent wouldn’t want their daughter to be like her!

If I were less than half my age I’m sure I’d be hopelessly in love with her LOL.

13. Lyn
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

http://http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/06/26/george-r-r-martin-winds-winter-tease/ This is the interview I was talking about. Very interesting stuff! Beware for minor spoilers.

14. jentario
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

That’s a good sign

15. Eliza
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I found this on this website, watched it and its freaking awesome! I thought I should share it with here as well, it’s shame that it was banned from TV! Best episode so far!

Enjoy! :)

16. davy
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Lyn:

Is it me or is that link not working? I am not able to get to the site.

17. BlackTalon
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

The address is messed up. Just google entertainment weekly teases winds of winter, pops right up.

18. Randa
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

davy,

I wasn’t either but just go to Ew.com, it’s the top story.

19. Nezzer
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Eliza:

Enjoy! :)

Seems legit.

20. Lyn
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I don’t know why the link isn’t working :S

21. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

On a show with so many accomplished actors and so many years of experience, Maisie still stands out. Not only is that a testament to her charisma & abilities, but to Nina Gold’s mastery over casting (a master caster?).

I actually hope they diverge from the books in this regard — Arya can’t lose her face. Not going to happen. No way. Not when you have a fan favorite like Maisie Williams playing her. Believe me, I understand the purpose it serves — and a pretty major one, at that, according to some my ASOIAF theories — but they’ll still be able to demonstrate her loss of identity without permanently changing her face, if they play it right. I suppose it bodes well that they’re bringing back Tom Wlaschiha instead of face-change-Jaqen. Because, at the very least, it implies the Faceless Men have faces they prefer and wear more often than others. Whereas, they’re strongly discouraged from attaching themselves to any one identity in the books. So it will be interesting to see how far D&D will take that with Arya. Hopefully not too far.

22. Stella
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

You have http twice in the link you provided. That is why it will not work. :-)

23. Lyn
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Stella,

Lol I’m such an idiot. I’ll try again http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/06/26/george-r-r-martin-winds-winter-tease/ Thanks!

24. Shock Me
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins:

I suspect they will use actors to portray the faces that Maisie is wearing. However I believe Maisie’s face will be shown whenever speaking is required.

25. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,
    Shock Me,
    I don’t know to begin with they could do quite a lot with a wig, make up and prosthetics for “The Ugly Little Girl” – it really depends what D & D have in mind according to what GRRMs told them going beyond that and “Mercy”

26. Stella
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

Works now! I cannot cut and paste on my phone worth a darn or I would have fixed it for you. :-)

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Now we wait for WOW!

27. Daniru
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Does Maisie have a brilliant laugh or what?

28. RandomGoTfan
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

Is it legit? Why would they ban an episode of Got in the first place. I clicked on the site and it also claims to have the first episode of season 5. Sounds sketchy to me.

29. debbie
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Maisie has gone from being a cute little girl to a lovely young women. If the show lets Arya grow up, maybe my hope for a Arya/Gendry ship can happen in season 6 or 7….:)

30. House Mormont
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

That EW article is very interesting if Tyrion and Dany are both coming back to Westeros, but aren’t teaming up, then either Dany isn’t going back to Meereen and is flying to Westeros or Tyrion is leaving before she does, maybe with Victarion?
    Dany ‘embracing her house words’ also hints at the darker Heisenberg Dany many of us had predicted based on her last chapter

31. Estelle
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Is it just me or .. where is the actual interview with Maisie? All I get shown on my Firefox is this here:

“Maisie Williams recently visited her home village of Clutton in Somerset to be a part of the neighborhood open day, and encourage interest in planning for the village’s future. While there, Maisie took the time to sit down with BBC Points West for an interview.

Maisie talks about her time growing up in Clutton, and how her life has changed since becoming a part of Game of Thrones. She also shares her thoughts on why Arya is so popular despite having a list of people she wants to kill, and reveals that she was recently in London to record some DVD commentary. She confirms that they will start filming Season 5 at the end of July, and although she hasn’t received the scripts yet, she’s been given a brief outline of her story, which she says is great.”

No video, no link, no nothing. I neither have any adblocker nor a script blocker activated.

32. Duval
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Estelle,

The link is ‘post’ in Post by BBC Points West.

33. House Mormont
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

although since George said the Dothraki would play a big part, that would indicate Dany not going back to Meereen, and Tyrion leaving with Viccy before the 500 volantene ships hit

34. GeekFurious
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Lyn:

Yeah. He has decided to spoil book readers before D&D can.

35. House Mormont
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Someone should tell him he can do that by publishing books

36. ash
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

How refreshing to see a young actress be so mature and level headed! She certainly has grown – in fact all of the young people on this show seem to have the same down to earth attitude. Brilliant – I hope they can all keep it together as they go about their careers!

37. Brodor
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I really have to give props to D&D and Nina Gold on the amazing casting of the star children on this show. They all are/were phenomenal and continue to impress me every season. It’s not easy to cast actors at a young age and have them actualy be good as they get older, I mean look at Harry Potter( horrible casting for the children IMO). As a matter of fact, this whole show has a damn amazing cast.

38. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Something about Maisie just makes me smile. She’s perfect for the role of Arya. How dark will she/they go in Braavos in S5? The stealthy “Cat of the Canals”, “Blind Beth”, “Mercy”? Will she ever have a wolf dream? Who will she run into in Braavos? Will she hear some intriguing Westeros news? I am truly looking forward to the continuation of her journey.

39. Ashara D
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Love, love, love Maisie! What a cool young lady! Her story line is one of my favorites.

Re: GRRM interview
    I KNOW I am right now. WoW in early 2015!! [crosses fingers, toes, etc.]

40. Nezzer
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

RandomGoTfan:
    Nezzer,

I was just being sarcastic ;)

41. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Ashara D:
    Re: GRRM interview
    I KNOW I am right now. WoW in early 2015!! [crosses fingers, toes, etc.]

Why am I worried more about the marriages than the battles and betrayals?

42. Koi No Yokan
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Quote from the interview: “I think we’re gonna start out with a big smash with the two enormous battles,” the author says. “We have more deaths, and we have more betrayals. We have more marriages.”

Why am I worried more about the marriages than the battles and betrayals?

I would have thought as this point marriages are synonymous with battles and betrayals.

43. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 3:39 am | Permalink

That smile and that giggle :)

Love it in the interview when Maisie says she had a hard choice between going to the audition and a school visit to a pig farm – sweetheart will you ever make a better decision in your life :D

Benioff and Weiss considered the series only doable if they could find great child actors for the key roles of Sansa, Arya and Bran. Casting director Nina Gold went to impressive lengths to find actors of the right calibre.

they must have been so chuffed to find Maisie, Sophie and Isaac; and they can add Kerry Ingram as well as Shireen and I fear a bit for Shireen’s destiny in Season 5 in the hands of Melisandre:(

44. Kees
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:12 am | Permalink

That table she is sitting at is the most English table I’ve ever seen.

45. debbie
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

46. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

debbie: Plus Jack Gleeson, who was 15/16 when doing the pilot. Joffery in the wrong hands could have been a disaster!

Yep Jack was a bit older and with a bit more experience but who’d have thought the allround nice young man could play such a smeghead. :)

47. Grynthaline
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Love how she’s more mature about her character than 80% of her fans. “Arya is a lil’ badass she kills people even though she’s a child! She should kill more people in her list in future books! How badass is that she’s being trained as an assassin!!” People, she’s a tragic character. She’s had her childhood ripped away from her because of the tragedy that has befallen her. She shouldn’t have had to kill people to survive, but she had no choice. The fact that she’s becoming more and more cold should trouble you, not go cheering “Go Arya!!!! Kill’em all!!11″.

Just as she said, do you even hear what you’re saying?

48. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Grynthaline:

Just as she said, do you even hear what you’re saying?

Indeed and that’s what makes Arya so compelling for me, hoping for redemption and remorse at some point, but fearing it’ll never happen.

49. Grynthaline
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

All Hail the Wolf Girl,

I have a feeling she will die near the very end, because of the prominent theme of death in her story. And we all will remember that little loveable tomboy in A Game of Thrones who wanted nothing more than to learn swordfighting, ride horses and go adventuring when suddenly it all went wrong… Ah, George. Now I made myself sad again.

50. smitzzz
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

OMG , Arya’s a nimby -.-

51. AJC
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

smitzzz,

OMG , Arya’s a nimby -.-

Yeah lol, that’s what I thought. Maybe she’ll change her mind when she tries to buy a house (although she probably has plenty of money).