Tell us your favorite moments from Game of Thrones season 4
By Zack Luye on in General, Podcast.

We find ourselves here, in the twilight of Game of Thrones season 4. Fair-weathered fans have come and gone, news and entertainment titans have ended their respective staycations in the Seven Kingdoms — but here we stand.

And what a ride it has been. We at WiC cannot even begin to thank the lot of you enough — the ones who’ve stood with the guard during times of great change, the ones who celebrate this story (like us) with borderline obsession. No matter the onslaught, we push into the off-season without fear: Our walls are thick, and our heroes (YOU) vast. You are the soul of this community, a community that began before the pop-culture sensationalism, and will remain long after its final ashes have fallen.

As customary with the podcast, Game of Owns is preparing for the season ending retrospective episode, littered with your Owns of the Season. Kate, Micah, Eric and myself haven’t shared these with one another, and it should get very interesting. By concept, these submissions can be open-ended — listeners have been historically creative during the season enders.

For now, please enjoy this small selection of photographs

BECAUSE I FAILED AT SETTLING ON ONE

And thank you, again. We do what is possible, working within the requirements and expectations of the site’s new ownership, submitting to the lowly 24 hours we’re lucky to be given in each day. All men must serve, and it has been a true honor working alongside the writers of this website, hoping that in some way we’ve helped enrich your experience experiencing A Song of Ice and Fire.

Always support the bottom

1. Aldi_A
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

See pounce. And Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!

2. Darkstar
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I miss Winter Phil……

3. Aldi_A
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Aldi_A,

Ser*

4. shabutie
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

skeleton battle was my favorite. i dont think its done enough. last skeleton battle i remember seeing…army of darkness.

5. Cumsprite
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

My favorite moment of this season was the very first GOT-inspired cocktail recipe. Yummers.

6. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Favourite scene: Arya and the Hound and Brienne. Just all of it.

Favourite shot: 360 degree shot of the Battle of Castle Black

Favourite set/place: Dany’s throne room, my favourite since the painted table room and the Moon door room

Favourite two characters in a room: Oberyn and Tywin

Favourite music in a scene: Breaker of Chains while Dany chains her dragons, so powerful

Anyone else?

7. Walter Harrow
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Arya and The Hound in episode 1 (mainly Arya’s revenge on Polliver)
    Mountain vs Viper
    Arya leaving the Hound

8. utherwolf
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

#10. White Walker baby ritual.
    #9. Lysa flies through the Moon door.
    #8. Brienne/Hound brawl.
    #7. Arya makes her vengeance upon Polliver.
    #6. Stannis breaks the siege of Castle Black.
    #5. Tyrion’s epic confession.
    #4. Battle at Castle Black. Especially giant at the inner gate and Jon/Styr fight.
    #3. Mountain mashes Oberyn’s head.
    #2. Tyrion learns that Tywin doesn’t shit gold.
    #1. Purple wedding. Dwarf jousting show, Joffrey’s choke and the blame on Tyrion.

9. Mike
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Arya getting Needle back. The episode was called Two Swords and you thought it was the two that Tywin made. In reality it was Oathkeeper foreshadowing that Ned’s daughter would be protected with part of his own sword and the other was another Stark sword going back to its owner.

Oh, and Stannis rolling mob deep at The Wall.

10. Fire And Blood
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

1. Brienne vs. the Hound.
    2. Grenn leads a recital of the Night’s Watch oath as death approaches on very large feet.
    3. Stannis and Davos ride through the mists and into Mance’s camp all badazz.
    4. The Hound gets his fucking chickens.
    5. Sansa lies her ass off.

Special mention: Giant uses his bow in a very effective scene transition.

11. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Tyrion’s trial speech!

Seeing your bastard die gave me more pleasure than a thousand lying whores!

That sentence was 4 owns in one!

Another fave: All the little side dialogues at the Purple Wedding. Particularly Lady Olenna’s NOT NOW MACE!, Oberyn’s “Hello…Not you…”, and Cersei/Brienne leading to a montage of Oh Shit faces.

Varys nope-ing his way back out of KL onto the ship.

I have so much more, but that’s a healthy start.

12. crabbers son
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

1-White walker ending (It was only thing that genuinely surprised me during season and i enjoyed feeling like an unsullied again)
    2-Oberyn + Tyrion talk (Ive never cried from watching a tv show but peter’s acting almost had me)
    3-The beetle monologue (For some reason the scene built up the tension of the fight so well i cant describe it, the GOT true detective moment)
    4-Brienne vs Hound (Nuff said)
    5-Kit Harrington’s sword skills and most of episode 9
    6-Viper vs Mountain

Things I didn’t like:
    1-Crypt rape
    2-The skeleton scene (The cgi didnt work for me it took me out of the scene although it was still good for a tv show)
    3-The way they handled tyrions escape (too rushed, didnt feel natural)

You know this was a great season though when I could make a list of about 30 great scenes while thinking about the first three seasons it could be hard to come up with that many

13. Ser Arthur Dan
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

The 1v1 battles

Oberyn/Mountain
    Hound/Brienne
    Jon/Styr
    Tormund/Ser Aliser

14. Moët
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

The entire season was brilliant, but this stands out for me:

“Point out the next Map Shop you see, and I’ll buy you one.”

15. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Favorite moments, both large and small:

–”All around the world, people want to hurt little girls.”

–The Oberyn/Tyrion conversation, which is one of the best two-person conversations of the entire year

–The epic closer of “Laws of Gods and Men” with the staredown between Tywin and Tyrion

–”I’m a whore, remember?”

–Dark Sansa

–”Hodor?” Hodor killing Locke.

–The entire Hound/Arya/Polliver fight that closes out the premiere, including every one of the Hound’s epic lines, the way the camera drunkenly falls as Polliver does after the Hound punches him, and Arya’s lines.

–The Brienne/Hound fight, naturally.

–”Those are giants riding mammoths down there!” And Jon Snow growing up through the course of that episode, and his very sensitive moment of closing Grenn’s eyes after he dies at the gate.

–Baelish’s first appearance of the season, the way the camera watches Sansa helped onto a boat before revealing who has grabbed her to help her.

–Dany and Jorah’s goodbye, and Jorah riding out of Meereen.

–SER POUNCE!

–The crazy-ass end of Oathkeeper where we see the King White Walker or whomever the hell he is.

–Jojen taunts Karl. “I saw you die. I saw your body burn, and the snow cover your bones.”

–The music for the Thenns. What great percussion. Awesome.

–Getting to see more humor out of Tormund, and his somewhat paternal feelings toward Jon, in the last two episodes of the year.

–The cold open for the season. Best one yet for sure.

–That giant firing a Patriot Missile sized arrow at one guy on the wall.

–The tender moment between Jaime and Tyrion during the trial, when Tyrion realizes he wants to trust his brother’s plan. And then Jaime closing his eyes as he watches Tyrion blow up Tywin’s plan to have him sent to the Wall.

–Jon and Mance toasting Grenn and Mag the Mighty.

–Selyse regarding her withered, somewhat skeletal body against that of the beautiful and not-too-shy Melisandre.

–”Reek. Do you love me?”

–Theon twitching and going all flibbertigibbity when Ralf Kenning spits in his face. Alfie Allen is great, and they really did use him well this year by having him in 3 episodes, so all of his scenes were pivotal without overdoing it.

–Yara saying “Thanks” and then slicing that one guy’s throat.

–Oberyn vs. the Mountain. Whatever others said, I loved it.

–And Alliser vs. Tormund.

–And giving Alliser some depth. “I said knock and hold, you cunts!”

I’ve gone on much too long. But I’ll just end with the gravy. Because you do not give up on the gravy.

16. Arkash
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Ten scenes in no particular order :

- Battle at CB (sequence-shot; Jon / Styr, Grenn and co defending the gate…).
    - Arya and the Hound last moments.
    - Littlefinger’s “trial” and Sansa’s story.
    - Tyrion’s trial.
    - Stannis, Mance, Jon, Davos.
    - Reek shaving Ramsay and Reek facing Ralf Kenning.
    - Polliver / Hound / Arya.
    - Purple Wedding (quelle mise en scène !)
    - Karl “fookin legend” Tanner speech.
    - Mountain and Viper.

Favourite episode of the season (and the series) : The Watchers on the Wall.

17. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Favorite moment was Oberyn’s scene with Tyrion in the jail, perfect adaptation of George’s work.

Worst is without a doubt that abysmal Yara scene. Just another example of how deviations pale in comparison to the novels.

18. A Man Grown
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

1) From “Safety?! Where the fuck’s that?!” through to “KILL ME!”
    2) “Every fucking chicken in this room.”
    3) The Purple Wedding, basically all of it
    4) Battle of Castle Black, basically all of it
    5) The Oberyn/Tyrion jail cell scene
    6) Tywin’s lesson to Tommen
    7) Tyrion’s trial speech
    8) Mance/Jon/Davos/STANNIS
    9) Sansa’s testimony
    10)Davos’ bank loan application

I assume it’s too late for an Emmy submission for Rory McCann?

19. alaynestonem
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Sansa finally showing all non-book readers why she is my favorite character; she played the game and played Petyr in order to ensure her own survival.

20. Turncloak
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

My favorite was the battle at the wall. Superb battle episode. Dodge rolls for the win

21. Christine
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Season own: Twyin Lannisters finally getting crossb-owned!

Most shocking moment: Oberyn getting his head smashed by the mountain. After reading that scene in the books I thought they would try to tone it down in the show but I’m glad they didn’t! If a larger than life character has to die he deserves an amazing scene like that! It was awesome! But I miss him

22. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

HOT PIE! That was inspired. If only Brienne had lead with the wolf bread…but Brienne making Arya smile for the first time in ever was fantastic.

23. Kay
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Most of my most favorite moments this season revolved around Tyrion.

His Trial “confession.”
    Tyrion and Oberyn in his cell. (This scene is one of the very best in GoT, in my opinion).
    Tywin’s death – I loved it. Loved it!
    Tyrion and Pod’s last scene – so emotional.

Also, Joffrey’s wedding – wonderfully spectacular.

For some reason, I really like the Brienne, Hot Pie, Pod scenes. I have rewatched them a number of times already.

24. Summer
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

The directing of Alex Graves in episode 2 of this season. There are SO many subtleties in that episode. For example:

-Tyrion, Podrick, Oberyn and Ellaria walking past that whore dancer, you see Podrick turning his head looking back at the whore multiple times
    - Varys being incredibly bored and getting hit by one of the dwarfs
    - Of course, Olenna stealing a gem of Sansa’s necklace

And more

25. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Chaining the dragons and their screams and Dany’s tears…I still cry. They’re fucking CGI dragons and I’m bawling for them WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON?!

26. Patty
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Too many but will try, in no particular order:
    1) Losing Ygritte: You know nothing Jon Snow. She was fierce. Mance and Jon toasting Ygritte.
    2) Dany banishing both her Dragons and Mormont (heart breaking both)
    3) Tyrions visits with the Viper and Lord of Casterly Rock. (although I’m still irritated that I didn’t get to hear Tyrion utter the words ‘where do whores go?’)
    4) Sam’s conversation with Maester Aemon (Still wondering who he was talking about that he could envision?) and with Jon (hes still not a poet)
    5) Most anything with Brienne and Pod (good pair) and The Hound and Ayra (evil pair). I always have loved Ayra’s story line and enjoyed watching her character develope (Maisie is such a fantastic actress for one so young) over this past season. Looking forward to next season sooo much.

Theres more but this is what came to mind again without rewatching it for the 4th time.

27. Kay
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Randa:

THIS. I can’t even say it’s one of my favorite scenes, because I can’t bear to rewatch these CGI creatures bewildered and piteously crying as Mom walks away and chains them up in the dark. Creatures that flew in the sunny skies in episode 1 of this season.

28. Eric
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Arya laughing when she learns aunt Lysa is dead.

29. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Pod’s big ol’ grin when he’s introduced to Brienne.

30. strokememarge
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Any scenes with my four (4) M’s, Missandei, Melisandre, Marg and Myranda.

31. Cheese Souffle
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

“What the f#$%’s a Lommy?”

All downhill after that.

32. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Sam throughout episode 9.

OPEN THE FUCKING GATE! Get used to it! Oh, is it over then?

Poor Pyp.

Sam’s love is the death of duty conversation with Aemon. all that tasty Sam/Gilly/Aemon set up for s5.

33. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Kay,

It really is in the sound of their cries, isn’t it? And then transition to Aemon eulogizing Pyp, Grenn, and the other fallen Night’s Watchmen…really a testament to the crafting of the show.

34. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I rewatched all of season 4 after my last exam and I found a moment where a character does something similar to Brienne awkwardly and triumphantly emerging from a hedge in her first season 3 scene… but even more awkwardly… and now.I can’t remember

Can anyone think of it?

35. Carolina
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

The Hound and all the fucking chickens, the Hound having to say Grace before filling his face, the Hound getting to tell his own story, The Hound v Brienne.

Rory McCann for an Emmy! Consistently performed outstandingly.

36. Socrates
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Purple Wedding, White Walkers in ep. 4, Sansa in the Eyrie, Cersei telling Tywin her affair, Oberyn+Ellaria, Arya going to Braavos, Bran meeting the 3-eyed raven, giants on mammooths.

37. jentario
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Favorites:
    -Ice, ice baby
    -Sansa becoming Alayne
    -ARYA’S LAUGH, HOW COULD I FORGET
    -Dany chaining the dragons
    -Wedding!
    -The Hound kicking ass at the inn
    -Oberyn’s talk with Tyrion
    -Sansa’s snow castle
    -Bran and co fighting the skeletons and the Three Eyed Raven (except he could have looked more dead and treeish)
    -Jamie and Brienne’s goodbye
    -Drogon frying goats
    -Every single second Alfie Allen was on screen (especially Moat Cailin)
    -Jon Snow finally given some justice with a great job from Kit and the writers
    -Stannis-Mance-Jon, love me some Stannis
    -Pod fucking up and Brienne starting to mentor him
    -Brienne VS the Hound
    -Tyrion in the trial! and Oberyn in teh trial too!
    -Jon and Ygritte in the last two episodes
    -Jorah and Dany breaking up
    -Gemma Whelan as a badass Yara

Least favorites:
    -bad transition in the Yara scene that completely negated Yara’s badassery
    -Fireballs (probably the cheapest effect on the show to date)
    -Locke being completely unnecessary and ANOTHER near miss between Jon and Bran. It’s just a bad idea IMO.
    -The sept scene
    -No LS!
    -Tyrion’s scenes in the finale which could have been heaps better

38. jentario
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

In my opinion this was the best season yet but it’s also the one with the most glaring adaption mistakes. Hopefully they’ll do better next time :)

39. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I loved the shadow of the great dragon flying over Kings Landing.

…wait…was that this season?

40. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

strokememarge,

I’m sorry (and probably book walker biased towards another frolicsome Lady of the same name), but Myranda is my least favorite character. No depth, no point, just T&A added to a thug. Her over the top moaning over the Ironborn speech, the only good part of Yara’s deviation…stfu.

Down with the other M’s, though! The aged up Missandei has brought so much depth to that character, Margeary is just a fucking boss, and Mel is my ultimate love-to-hate.

41. Winter
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

1) Black Sansa – transformation of the Season
    2) Brienne vs Hound – fight of the season
    4) Purple Wedding
    3) Arya + Hound – their final exchange was electric
    5) Tyrion’s trial speech
    6) Bran, COTF vs Skeleton Zombies
    7) Oberyn’s pre-trial talk with Tyrion

Many more, I can’t remember off the time of my head.

42. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Dean Charles Chapman playing every adolescent boy with Margeary.

Sansa bitch-slapping Robin.

43. Joe Frost
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Think the most underrated scene of the season was Jaime and Tywin early on in it. Very subtle but really demonstrated how Jaime had changed compared to how they interacted in the first season. Also the “You’ll never be as good as you were/ I’ll just have to be better than everone else” line was excellent and gave us a glimpse that there’s a hope that the cocky swordmaster Jaime could ride again!

44. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

jentario:

Did you not watch season two?

The abruptness of Yara’s trip and the last five seconds of the Jaime rape scene pale massively in comparison to how badly adapted A Clash of Kings was. And they were adapting three books at the same time this season while setting up unadaptable material

45. Ace
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

The overhead shot of Stannis’ perfectly aligned cavalry charge. Beautiful. (Also STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!)

46. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

jentario:

My sweet summer pimp Season 1 is and shall always be the best season, they’ll never top that perfection.

47. ash
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Im nodding my head at every scene everyone has written. Lets just say that s5 has been my favorite season. There have been a few eh moments, but so many brilliant ones that it will be a season I plan to rewatch over and over again. (so when is the DVD coming out?)

48. DunkosaurusRex
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Best fight: Jon vs Styr
    Best dialogue scene: Mance and Jon
    Best Tyrion scene: toss-up between Tywin’s death and Tyrion’s speech at his trial

Also, pretty much any scene with Arya and the Hound. Rory and Maisie killed it this season

49. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Actually, my favourite part of season 4 is in the Jaime/Tyrion scene in episode 7, where Tyrion has this boyish grin but massively vulnerable expression and he says something like “won’t it be worth it just to see the look on father’s face; his entire family line wiped out with the swing of a sword” and he awkwardly, weakly laughs and Jaime can only manage a weak smile and it makes Tyrion’s smile dissolve. Then there’s this big heavy silence, and to me the silence is so heartbreaking because 1) jaime cant say outloud how fucked tyrion is but they both know it and 2) none of them can express just how much they care about eachother, but it’s all there written on their faces.

50. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Randa:
    Sansa bitch-slapping Robin.

Totally! Don’t mess with snow castle Sansa!

Throw in a couple direwolf maulings,
    Drogon appearing from below the cliff,
    WW babysitter,
    Sansa looking back at KL
    Beetle exposition,
    “Nothing is just..nothing”,
    “I’m gonna eat every fuckin’ chicken…”,
    Jaime-Cersei carnal lust fest below their dead son’s corpse (we knew it was coming and we got it),
    Ellaria’s scream,
    “I wish we never left the cave…”,
    Mammoth on fire,
    Stannis listening to Jon,
    RV and Tyrion,
    “I should have let Stannis burn this city down!”,
    Mel seeing Jon thru the fire,
    “To Mag and Grenn!”, “To Grenn and Mag!”
    Shireen and Davos discovering the Braavos option,
    “Valar Morghulis”

to name a few…and we had a damn good season.

51. roy
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

The best one for me this season was The Mountain vs Red Viper scene.
    Also all the scenes with Isaac Hempstead are my favourites, such a great actor.

52. charlottejuliet
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Favourites:
    1°) Sansa’s testimony and Littlefinger’s face while she was speaking- So tense, so creepy, so powerful – wonderfully acted
    2°) The Hound and his chicken : so outrageous, so oddly logical
    3°) Grenn the heroe

Least favourites : 1°)the scenes with Daenarys and Co, a bit boring – except in the last episode – not enough creepiness for me i guess
    2°) Ramsey’s sex scene – quite ridiculous
    3°)Not enough Roose and Theon for my taste – yes, i do like them creepy ( but exclusively in books or tv shows)

Most improved : Kit Harrington even if he’s still not one of my favourite actors

53. Patty Maner
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Ace,

Yea that was sweet..

54. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Favorite scenes:
    5 Stannis the mannis to the rescue
    4 Just about the entire Watchers of the Wall episode
    3 Fight between Brienne and the Hound
    2 Arya leaving the Hound
    1 Tyrion and Oberyn in the cell

Favorite moments/statements:
    5 Sansa Just walking down the stairs like a diva extraordinaire
    4 Jon “If my father had seen the things I’ve seen, he’d have also told you to burn the bodies before nightfall. All of them.”
    3 Oberyn/Tyrion “Sooner or later Cersei always gets what she wants. And what about what I want?”
    2 Hound “Kill me!”
    1 Tyrion “Watching your bastard son die gave me more pleasure than a thousand lying whores”

Best non-verbal acting
    Honorable Mention: Styr’s smile of joy to be killing
    5 Ygritte’s confusion upon being shot
    4 Jon when he closes Grenn’s eyes
    3 During the trial, Jaime closing his eyes in despair when Tyrion goes off the rails
    2 Arya and Brienne smiling at one another
    1 Tyrion’s face as Oberyn recounts their tale of meeting

55. Patty Maner
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

DunkosaurusRex,

Styr: I should’ve killed you when I had the chance.
    Jon: Ya, you should’ve.

56. Sansa Bird
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Mine was probably Sansa’s testimony. The entire Eyrie storyline as a matter of fact. But Littlefinger’s trial was acted brilliantly and kept even the sullied on their toes! Props to Sophie, once again!

But I did love all the Jon/Ygritte moments as well. So bittersweet.

57. Scott
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

When the ended the season with Lady Stoneheart. Oh…..wait a minute!?!

58. ikriti
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

1 really a big fan of the jaimie cersei rape scene
    2 jaimie tyrion scene couldnt have been done better at the end of the season, totally could have watered it down even more, just give eachother fistbumps and move on with the scene
    3 the lack of stonheart was a necessity as the showrunners couldnt put in the missandei/greyworm scene or who could forget the ramsey / yara scene. or even the jaimie cersei rape scene or melisandre bathing, gotta see her bewbs at least once a season amirite. as we all know you cant go by the book 100%, in fact you dont even need to go 50%, or 20! hell you can just put the title of game of thrones on the front and collect dollars at this point. no need for stoneheart. shes a zombie bro. zombies are totally like 2010.

*sarcasm off*

this season is a massive, massive disappointment… if they couldnt get it right this year. i seriously, seriously doubt they will do anything but make game of thrones look as stupid as true blood is in their final years. good job getting paid d & d. too bad you had to ruin one of the greatest fantasy stories of all time in the process…

59. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

ikriti,

Linda?????????

60. ikriti
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

nope

House Mormont:
    ikriti,

Linda?????????

61. Rhaenys
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

This was a hard one – there were so very many enjoyable moments this season, and some of the earlier ones have inevitably been overshadowed by time and the dramatic events of the later episodes.

Honourable mentions go to “What the f*ck’s a Lommy?”, for being the first of a few laugh-out-loud moments of the season. Also to Sansa’s development throughout (and particularly her metamorphosis in “Mockingbird”), Sam Tarly in the “Watchers on the Wall” episode, and Oberyn throughout. I was a Pedro-sceptic this time last year, but he did an incredible job, and I had to have a stiff drink before watching the “Mountain and the Viper” episode.

Overall, though, my vote has to go to a couple of bookending moments in the final episode – Stannis appearing at the Wall (and the war intruding on the Northern storyline for the first time) and Tyrion, Varys and Arya all boarding ships to depart Westeros at the end of the episode. Up until now, for all the twists and turns and unexpected deaths, the three basic storylines (War of Five Kings, Wall and Dany in Essos) have been pretty separate. As of “The Children”, that is changing, and that promises to be a wonderful thing. (Also, that scene with Arya on the boat with the show theme/Stark music/Valar Morghulis theme all intertwined was really wonderful).

62. Grynthaline
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

My favourite scene of the season is Sansa walking down the steps like a champ, in a dark-raven outfit sewn entirely by herself, with the Stark-mixed-with-Mockingbird theme playing in the background.

Starks represent!

63. Trav
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

My favorite moment just might have been that staredown between Jon and Melissendre in the season finale. Not too many characters loom larger, in the overarching story, than those two. So to have their first interaction be such an eerie and foreboding staredown was PERFECT. Not a word spoken, nor needed

64. King Stannis
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

ikriti:
    1 really a big fan of the jaimie cersei rape scene

*sarcasm off*

Linda is that you? Nice little cryfest… “Omg they didn’t include this so now this show is True Blood, waaaaaaaahhhh” Get over it! It was a very well done season. Couple mistakes but none that twas huge as of what the series of “Game Of Thrones” is. Want lady stoneheart than go fetch Michelle and tell her she has a better role being a mute than her other quality work over on another network.

Whiners make me thirsty.

65. House Mormont
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Trav:
    My favorite moment just might have been that staredown between Jon and Melissendre in the season finale.Not too many characters loom larger, in the overarching story, than those two.So to have their first interaction be such an eerie and foreboding staredown was PERFECT.Not a word spoken, nor needed

I can’t agree more, and she looked so spectrally beautiful too

66. Alexandre
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Although a tad bit deviated, Tyrion’s faceoff with Tywin was my favourite part in the show.

Then comes the shocking climax with Oberyn and The Mountain.

Then Brienne fighting the Hound.

Tyrion’s trial was totally Emmy worthy.

The battle in the north.

Joffrey’s demise.

Bran’s mystical journey getting revealed.

Arya’s intriguing and ongoing travels.

This season was indeed epic and surely better than the previous two seasons~ I might like it almost as much as Season 1!

Now it keeps me wondering about the next season! I have faith that the next two seasons can be pulled off.

67. Croat
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

My fav scene was Ygritte’s deth!
    This is the best season IMO, besides all changes…

68. B
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I have two favorite moments…

Jon Snow and Mel looking at each other across the fire. It was perfection.(Seriously I have watched just that scene 6 times over since the first airing) I am so excited for that!!!!!!

The moment when (though not in the books) Little Finger asks Sansa why she did what she did for him and she say’s “I know what you want.” He says, “Do you?” (or something like that) then she just kind of almost breaks a smile in silence. It was kinda pervy gross and titillating at the same time. I know. Yuck. Sansa has learned how to play the game.

Oh and runners up are Arya Laughing and the re edited 80′s/(90′s) Game Of Thrones Intro.

69. GeekFurious
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

1. Brienne and Arya meet. Such an amazing moment where two badass female characters talk about the way men have tried to suppress their badassery and yet how they overcame it because it’s what they wanted. Could be one of my favorite non-book moments in the series.
    2. Brienne and Hound fight. Woah. Top 3 (maybe #1) fight in the series.
    3. Tyrion and the Red Viper talk about why he’s in King’s Landing.
    4. Tyrion and the Red Viper talk about the past, and the future.
    5. The Hound fights the king’s men and Arya gets her moment at the end.
    6. Stannis arrives… that entire sequence is gold, including his conversation with Mance and then Jon Snow. So excited about season 5 revolving around these characters.
    7. The Mountain Vs. the Red Viper (also the saddest).
    8. Jon sees his dearest love for the last time.
    9. Jon fights that Thenn dude.
    10. Grenn’s last stand.

I could go on for about 50 more…

70. smitzzz
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

My favorite part of the season was when the credits rolled for episode 10 and no LSH showed up , how I drank in all the tears and rage shed that night by the anal westeros.org crowd ,it nourished my soul ;D

71. Arriba
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

I don’t know what lacked this season but despite all the big moments I haven’t loved this season as much as I thought I would. Maybe the hype. But I feel I haven’t felt it as much as the last three.

On the bright side anything with The Hound in it. I liked Sansa’s evolution after Lysa’s death and Oberyn though I thought he was a bit underused. As single moments, the battle at the wall and Oberyn’s death stand out

72. Almost a Knight
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Quiet moment in Tyrion’s cell when Oberyn said “He is just a baby…” (makes me cry every single time)

The best fight surprisingly is Brienne and The Hound fight! JUST HOLY SHIT.

Jaime and Tyrion relationship. We may have a lot of Brotp moments, but literally brothers and not trying to kill each other in this series is rare.

I can’t wait to listen to the new episode :)

73. Zack
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Basically any scene with Oberyn is my favorite.

His intro scene, or in the cells with Tyrion, or where he invites Tywin to have a seat right where he had been having sensual pleasures only moments before, or the trial, where he asked probing questions none of the other judges cared to think about because they had already made up their minds…

Or the fight.

Pedro Pascal is GoT S4 MVP

74. King Stannis
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    Basically any scene with Oberyn is my favorite.

Or the fight.

Pedro Pascal is GoT S4 MVP

This

Oberyn: “And did you?”

Shae: “Did what?”

Oberyn: “Fucked him last it was his last night on this earth” (smiles)

75. Tatters
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Joffrey chokes,
    Tyrion rages,
    Oberyn blows,
    Hound barks,
    Stannis wins

76. chamush
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Most fav scenes:

$ Arya/hound team kill at the inn (epic)

$ Tyrion outburst at the trial (damn!)

Worst scene ever in GOT history:

Stupid skeletons and fireballs!

Most idiotic thought process in all humanity:

You go bite him from behind, I’ll stay here with my sword and watch, in case you fail I will update them on whats up in kings landing and wait to die…

77. Randa
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink
  78. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

Can anyone think of it?

One “hedge” scene I can think of is the 1st Arya/Hound scene where they are looking through a hedge to the Inn and the Hound says “WTF is a Lommy?”…Arya then emerges from the hedge and the Hound follows her to the Inn, where they enjoy some chickens.

The other “hedge” scene is when Dontos follows Sansa in the KL garden, then emerges to give her his necklace gift.

Any other “hedge” scenes? Was I close? Hope you did well on your exam.

79. who even?
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

My personal favorite was when I decided to stop watching. Seriously. Haven’t felt that kind of weight off my chest in years.

80. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Randa:
    K-niggut!

“I’m going to have to eat every fuckin’ jojeh in this room!”

Speaking of chickens…this is funny. The Hound (Col. Sandor) approves. ;)

81. Chris
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Trav,
    Yeah, Jon and Mellisandre, so brief, wordless and one of the great “uh oh” moments.
    Full of really cool forebodings of stuff not even the book readers know.

82. Josla
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this season far more than the previous one (my least favorite).

Moments I enjoyed the most:

- Dark Sansa
    - Lysa making Petyr feel unsettling
    - Arya robbing the hound
    - Arya and the Braavosi captain
    - Hodor the warrior (warged)
    - Pod and Tyrion’ s farewell
    - Sam (all of his scenes) at the wall, episode 9
    - Grenn in episode 9
    - Brienne vs Hound
    - Tommen and Tywin
    - Hot pie and so many others, but better keep the list short

Totally hated this scenes:
    - The waste of Locke as a character in the wall storyline and the pointless death they gave him.
    - Fireballs. The effect was convincing to me but the idea not likey
    - The striking difference between the wights that attacked Sam and Jon and the ones that attacked Bran. Not physically but in terms of performance. They felt like different entities. Even the white walker didn’t kill Sam (twice) but these squeletons were so fast and vicious? Come on.

83. Josla
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

chamush:

Worst scene ever in GOT history:Most idiotic thought process in all humanity:

Also forgot to mention that last Tyrion/Shae scene was poorly done imo.

84. wicced
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Loved Arya leaving Hound without finishing him off , classic…….

85. Sandor Claws
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

The Hound in the doorway of the inn lookin’ HUGE.
    Polliver & Hound lick their chops at each other.
    Shireen nags Davos. Davos accuses her of being her father.
    Jaime says Brienne keeping Pod from harm is chivalry.
    Littlefinger creepin’ in the snow.
    Sansa sewing.”You think you know me?” “I know what you want.” Preach, Black Sansa!
    Tyrion learns he Tywin monster.
    “I saw Snow fall and bury your bones.” made me realize the snow falling on the iron throne = Jon
    Davos riding up on Mance like an angry badger.
    Pod’s wakeup call.

86. outdoorcats
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

It’s not a moment, but rather the whole last 10-15 minutes of episode 8, starting with the ‘Orson and the Beetles’ speech – tremendously moving and a MASTERCLASS in writing, then the music swelling as Tyrion walks towards the arena, then the incredible fight, not only incredibly shot and choreographed and acted by Pascal but also jumping back and forth between these emotional tones as deftly as the Red Wedding did last season, and then the devastating, horrible horrible climax which held back nothing and left me, a ‘Sullied,’ shaking uncontrollably and unable to sleep for hours after I had seen it.

Totally ‘horrible’…and perfect.

There was other great stuff too: Brienne and The Hound’s jaw-dropping fight (and the aftermath with The Hound and Arya) featured not only Christie and McCann’s career-best so far, but also Alex Graves’ best direction. Also: Hot Pie. Also: random-ass wilding trying to assassinate Stannis leading to the biggest and most unexpected laugh of the season. Also: All of The Hound and Arya’s dialogue in the premiere, just awesome. Also: White Walker ending. Also: Tyrion’s trial from beginning to end, and Tyrion’s scene with Bronn, and perhaps best of all his scene in the dungeon with Oberyn. Also: Grand Maester Pycelle literally throwing his scrolls across the room in anger and cracking me up. Also: Mance Rayder. And last but not least: Jon spitting in the Magnar’s face.

87. bristol
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

1. The entirety of The Watchers on the Wall (will take too many slots to list each moment)
    2. Tyrion’s confession at the trial
    3. Sansa’s confession at the trial
    4. Arya boarding the ship
    5. Oberyn and Tyrion in the cell
    6. Everything from Brienne meeting Arya to Arya leaving the Hound
    7. Everything from Jon meeting Mance to Stannis invading
    8. Arya and the Hound at the Inn
    9. Dany chaining up the dragons (superb acting by EC)
    10. Ygritte’s funeral
    11. Everything from Jojen’s vision in Craster’s Keep to “I’ve seen you die”
    12. Everything from Sansa’s snow castle to LF’s push
    13. Dany at the gates of Meereen
    14. Tywin teaching Tommen
    15. White Walker scene

I want to go on and on, but I’m going to stop there.

This was, far and away, the best season of any show I’ve ever watched. I loved every single minute. While watching most shows, I look at the time in impatience to see when it ends. When watching GoT, I look in despair, because I don’t want it to end.

88. Started from Flea Bottom
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Master Aemon. Beautifully acted & such a port in a storm type character. His scene with Sam brought tears to my eyes & I’m not easily moved.
    Oberyn & Tyrion cell scene. Moving
    Jamie & Brienne. The sword & armour.
    Joffrey Destroying Tyrion’a book with his new sword. Thank You mr. Gleeson, you were awesome & made me get hate your character
    The Hound’s “I didn’t steal it, I was just playing with it”..you see the KID come out for a small moment
    Arya’s SMILE. A glimpse of beauty

89. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I hate the overhead shots, and have been dismayed by their increased use in season 3 and 4. It’s just not a very aesthetically pleasing perspective, and not a perspective that anyone but a bird would have. Feels unnatural in a show that’s otherwise shot in a very naturalistic manner. Almost like Peter Jackson snuck in and inserted some of his blockbuster mentality into the show.

That admittedly odd pet peeve aside, my top five scenes are:

1. Tyrion-Jaime pre-combat dialogue (including the beetle monologue) all the way through Giant Gallagher’s melon-smashing
    2. The “Waiting for GOT-dot” dying farmer dialogue with Arya and the Hound (followed, unfortunately, by the silly scene with Biter and Rorge)
    3. Tyrion-Oberyn cell dialogue
    4. Jon-Mance-Stannis-Davos
    5. A tie between Ice Baby and giants riding mammoths!

90. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Josla: Yeah right? Why didn’t he pierced him with his sword instead while he was distracted, or put it through his head? Awful.

Also forgot to mention that last Tyrion/Shae scene was poorly done imo.

Definitely the worst moment in season 4. And it’s a shame because the preceding dialogue with the dying farmer was excellent (and ripped almost straight from Waiting for Godot – not an accident, given D&D’s academic background).

91. Caravaggio
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Joffrey OD’ing on Purple Drank.

92. outdoorcats
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:09 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I can only guess if we had seen the thing from a wide angle, that the plan was for Rorge and Biter to sneak up on him, but Biter who is perhaps a little simple and obsessed with biting lost it and charged and bit The Hound. And Rorge lost the element of surprise and just stood there like, “Oh, f***. I’m dead.” That could have been made clear in the direction, though – it was a poorly shot scene, like a lot of Alik Sakharov’s ‘action scenes’ – Petyr pushing Lysa out the moon door and the awkwardly-choreographed fight between Yara and Ramsay’s men come to mind.

Sakharov is awesome with one-on-one dialogue scenes and bringing out great performances, though.

93. reyne22
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:18 am | Permalink

There is no single scene even close this season, the Tyrion and Oberyn scene might be the single best character scene in the entire series.

94. Sister Wrister
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

This is a really cool thread.

So many great moments this season- there was humor, intrigue, sadness, suspense; heavy dialog, gripping monolgue, brutal fights, killer deaths, and as always, some weird sex.

I say all this to preface that while there were so many fantastic moments, my “favorite scene” was super macabre. The red viper/mountain dual hit me hardest of all, emotionally. All I could see following the episode were those eyes gouged, all I could hear was that scream. I thought they truly did this scene justice, and applaud DnD for “keepin it real”.

95. Oathkeeper
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 1:14 am | Permalink

So many but,

1. Tyrion’s trial breakdown </3
    2. Brienne biting the Hound's ear.
    3. Oberyn and Tyrion's scene "I will be your champion" :‘(
    4. Joffrey's death ^_^
    5. Arya killing Polliver.
    6. Sansa and the Snow Castle.
    7. Jaime and Brienne's farewell.
    8. The White Walkers and the baby.
    9. Tyrion killing Tywin.
    10. Jon and Stannis and Davos scene!
    And a lot more!
    The only thing that I didn't like was Jojen's… Jojen's DEATH! Like WHYYYYYYYYYYY?????

96. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Wow…you have an awesome scene memory….

I dig these lists.

97. bristol
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 2:42 am | Permalink

bristol:
    2. Tyrion’s confession at the trial
    3. Sansa’s confession at the trial
    4. Arya boarding the ship
    5. Oberyn and Tyrion in the cell
    6. Everything from Brienne meeting Arya to Arya leaving the Hound
    7. Everything from Jon meeting Mance to Stannis invading
    8. Arya and the Hound at the Inn
    9. Dany chaining up the dragons (superb acting by EC)
    10. Ygritte’s funeral
    11. Everything from Jojen’s vision in Craster’s Keep to “I’ve seen you die”
    12. Everything from Sansa’s snow castle to LF’s push
    13. Dany at the gates of Meereen
    14. Tywin teaching Tommen
    15. White Walker scene

I want to go on and on, but I’m going to stop there.

How could I forget the duel!? That’s probably number 4.

98. Leland
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 3:20 am | Permalink

1. Arya leaves the Hound to die
    2. The Hound vs Brienne
    3. The Hound at the Inn
    4. Stannis at the Wall
    5. Oberyn’s speech “I will be your champion”

99. AGirlHasSaid
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 3:36 am | Permalink

The entire Arya and the Hound roadtrip.

Sansa’s clever melange of lies, truth and half truths at her testimony at the trial of Littlefinger. ‘Sir Baelish has told many lies….’

Gilly’s return to Castle Black, and Sam going off to battle after cussing and kissing.

Ser Davos’ negotiations with the Braavosi at the Iron Bank and the pirate in the hot tub :D.

The very last scene beginning with Arya and the Captain exchanging “Valar marghulis”and “Valar dohaeris” and ending with Arya walking on the ship with the wind blowing in her hair as the Children’s theme plays.

100. Sam
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

In no particular order:
    -Everything Theon (yes, the Yara-rescue scene as well).
    -Stannis and Davos at the Iron Bank.
    -All of The Watchers on the Wall.
    -Stannis saving the day.
    -The rest of Jon’s scenes in The Children.
    -The Oberyn-Tyrion scene in the dungeons.
    -Tyrion’s epic trial.
    -Oberyn at the Small Council in The Laws of Gods and Men.
    -The three scenes of dialogue Varys had this season.
    -Karl Tanner the fookin’ legend of Gin Alley.
    -NOT NOW MACE!
    -The jousting dwarfs.
    -Joffrey’s death, including Cersei’s reaction to it.
    -Dany chaining the dragons (the only Dany scene I have enjoyed this year).
    -Lysa flying.
    -The fight between Jon and Karl.
    -All of Arya’s scenes in The Children.
    -Jojen foreseeing both his and Karl’s future.
    -Hodor killing Locke.
    -Arya getting Needle back.
    -This season’s cold open.
    -Oathkeeper’s ending.
    -The Mountain crushing Oberyn… literally.
    -Sansa manipulating the Vale lords.
    -Hot Pie!
    -Tyrion and Pod’s final exchange.
    -Everything Bronn.

I think that was all, lol. It has been a great season.

101. Harry
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 4:27 am | Permalink

I prefer the quiet but meaningful scenes.

My favorite in S4:
    the moment in the wedding play where Rob gets killed and Sansa’s heart is bleeding as you can see it in her eyes. Tyrion holds her hand and the crowd is cheering, licking Jeoffreys ass. But you also shortly see Oberyn, Oleanna and even Margaery, understanding this moment differently from their personal point of view.

Reason? It shows everything that us wrong in this world:
    -The madness of fighting for the throne
    -The death of honor and respect
    -The extinction of the weaker houses by the more powerful ones
    -The most powerful house is the one that writes history

I think it is the moment when Sansa understands that this madness will never stop…

102. Sister Wrister
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 4:56 am | Permalink

Harry,

The execution of the wedding was near flawless, and filled with all those nuanced moments….. I also really enjoyed that interplay, the unspoken but clearly experienced discomfort among some of the guests… I think Varys was even showing a bit of that.
    The wedding was one of those scenes ya gotta watch like a three eyed raven to catch it all

103. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Probably my favourite season so far despite some dud moments which is true of all the seasons so far though.

Loved all the Adventures of Arya and the Hound*, and especially that bittersweet departure to Braavos with that gorgeous music.

Sansa stepping up to become a player.
    Tyrion’s trial ( Peter Dinklage just terrific)
    Pretty much every scene with Tywin
    Gwen Christie really getting into it during her fight with The Hound

Just too many too mention really.

*Thought that the scene with Rorge and Biter was poorly handled though, just stand there like a tit in a trance and get run through why dontcha?

104. Tyrion Targaryen
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Favourite scenes

Dany and her dragon on episode 1
    Prince Oberyn telling Tyrion why he is Kings Landing
    Death of King Joffrey
    Darth Sansa
    Tyrion on trail
    King Stannis And Davos entering Braavos
    The Hound vs Brienne fight
    Tyrion saying farewell to Jaime after his escape
    Tyrion killing his father
    and Varys and tyrion being shipbuddies

105. Chysko
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 7:25 am | Permalink

You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children!!!!

Biggest dissapointment wan no epic “Stannis, Stannis, Stannis!” and no Tysha.

106. caliope

Jon, Aemon,Alliser
    And..
    Tyrion on trail
    THE BEST SEASON!

107. GRRMlin
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

The grey worm and misssandei scene! Totally not filler. Loved that scene, so utterly pointless.
    Jaime raping cersei was good too.
    9 minutes of talking about beetles…
    But ashas badass rescue of theon takes the cake. Magnificent writing.

Other good scenes, the Jaime Tyrion Tysha scene.
    Tyrian and oberyn talking about dornish inheritance laws
    Oh and DAT LSH reveal OMG

108. Insurrbution
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

No more annoying internet memes.

Love the show and the books but I miss the days only fantasy fans knew about Martin. Now the fandom is everywhere. Breaking Bad was crazy good and it wasn’t everywhere.

109. Rygar
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:29 am | Permalink

When D&D decided to finally get their groove on and start writing compelling story lines that tie into their vision of this adaptation. Oh and when Gilly used the meat stick on Janos. Oh and when Shae was his horse.

110. Boojam
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Season 4 Episode 1, the tavern fight with Arya and Sandor.
    Short but Sam Peckinpah would have loved it!

111. jentario
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Insurrbution,

Breaking Bad was EVERYWHERE. What are you talking about? It was just as popular as GoT by the end of its run

112. Rygar
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Oberyn: Hello.

Tyrion: Hello.

Oberyn: Not you.

113. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:36 am | Permalink

It’s all in the little moments, for me.

Jon’s questioning, when he talks about giants, Slynt scoffs “Giants!” then goes very quiet when Ser Alliser isn’t scoffing with him.
    Lady Olenna admiring Brienne.
    The cut from Joffrey’s statue to Joffrey himself.
    The White Book!
    The look on Arya’s face when the Hound said “Fuck the King!”
    The Ellaria-Oberyn-Cersei-Tywin conversation at the wedding.
    Loras to Jaime: “And neither will you.”
    Tywin stealing Tommen from Cersei over Joffrey’s dead body.
    Anything Grey Worm and Missandei.
    Tyrion to Jaime: “Her son?”
    Ser Pounce.
    Lysa’s scene with Sansa about Catelyn and lemon cakes.
    Oberyn inviting Tywin to take a seat on the bed where he was just having a fivesome.
    Tyrion and Pod’s goodbye.
    The epic passive-aggressiveness and eye-rolling in that Cersei-Margaery scene at the coronation.
    Cersei and Oberyn. “Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls.”
    Ice ice baby.
    The introductory shot of Braavos.
    The Ramsay-Reek bath scene that made me want to hide under a bed and never come out again.
    Mace Tyrell proudly fetching Tywin’s pen and paper. “Look, Ma, I’m useful!”
    Oberyn at the trial, asking all the good questions.
    Jaime’s offer to Tywin in exchange for Tyrion’s life, and Tywin’s instant acceptance.
    Tyrion’s heartbreak when Shae takes the stand.
    The Oberyn-Tyrion scene in Tyrion’s cell.
    Sansa in the snow.
    Reek at Moat Cailin.
    Sansa playing the Lords Declarant perfectly.
    Arya laughing.
    Alliser and Jon having a moment before the battle begins, but it doesn’t magically make them best buddies.
    Jon asking Grenn to defend the gate, with both of them knowing what that means.
    Sam and Pyp.
    “It’s not a good plan. What’s your plan?”
    “Grenn was from a farm.”
    Stannis and Davos emerging from the snow-mist. Stannis and Jon talking about Ned. Mance refusing to kneel.
    Tywin’s face when Cersei tells him the truth.
    Shepherd with burned baby bones.
    Arya and Brienne, talking about swords and learning to fight and fathers.
    That fight.
    Arya and the Hound’s conversation.
    Jaime kissing Tyrion goodbye.
    “Don’t call her a whore.” That scene, that scene.

114. SillyMammo
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

The Greyworm/Missandei bathing scene for all the most juvenile reasons.

115. Arian
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

1st Oberyn Scene at brothel

116. Frodo
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Arya finding needle

117. Bookill
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Oberyn’s wushu warmup routine just before he takes on the Mountain. The sounds of his hands changing grip on the spear mixed with the whooshing sound it makes has a bit of a hypnotic rhythm to it. It’s a pretty cool scene.

118. Stranger's Pooper Scooper
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Why do all these annoying posts about the show keep turning up in the middle of my ads?

119. David Long
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink

For me, my personal favourites have been:

The Purple Wedding
    The reveal of the Night’s King
    Karl Tanner’s & Tywin Lannisters deaths
    The Skeleton battle

120. jentario
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Oberyn: We need more girls. Girls, yes?
    Tyrion: shakes his head
    Bronn: nods

121. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Oh, wow, I somehow didn’t put the Hound talking about how he got his scars on my list. Amazing scene.

As a throughline, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Oberyn’s refusal to fit into any white-centric, heterocentric perspective. It’s not that he’s brown, it’s the others who are pink. He doesn’t have an accent, the people outside Dorne have strange accents. He’s not weird for being bi, others are absurdly missing out on half of what’s around them. Just one more reason to love him.

122. House Mormont
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Honourable mention to Dany and Jorah’s three one on one scenes, so beautiful, especially in episode 5, perfectly acted. Like I would watch this show if it was just Jaime and Tyrion, Dany and Jorah and Arya and the Hound in rooms together
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Hmmm I’m not sure, maybe I’ll get back to you on that

123. Steve
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

It’s a rare choice but my favourite moment is actually one of the Craster’s Keep scene. When Bran crawled towards Jon and decide to leave him instead.
    Such an emotional scene, Isaac pulled off the scene very well and made it very believable.

124. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Two little moments to bring a smile

Hot Pie: “…Winterhell”

The Hound: “Mans got to have a code.” [ Omar comin’ yo !!! )

125. tiny direwolf
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

- “you were just a baby..”
    - ” you’re Arya Stark…”
    - ” is that what you’re doing? Keeping her safe?” “Aye.”

Really anything with the Hound and Arya.

- “Oh look! The pie!!”

Marjorie’s face during the wedding and trial.

Yeah, can’t pick just one.

126. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

All Hail the Wolf Girl:
    Two little moments to bring a smile

Hot Pie: “…Winterhell”

The Hound: “Mans got to have a code.”[ Omar comin’ yo !!! )

Found the proper line from Hot Pie now

“What, like them lot from “Winterhell?”

LOL he still can’t get it right even after Arya told him it was WinterFELL season

127. Kells
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Episode 1 and 10 had so many fantastic moments.
    Love all the Arya/Hound interactions. Maisie Williams and Rory McCann played so beautifully off each other. One minute, you felt the disgust and the next, it was almost tender between them.
    For the women, Maisie was a huge highlight this season. While not as depressing as I expected, you felt her emptiness.
    For the men, Rory was so solid and it was nice that the writers gave the Hound/Sandor some meat to work with. Finally seeing behind the rage, albeit briefly, was fantastic.
    Emmy-nods are so deserved for both of them.

I loved the transformations of Tyrion and Sansa. Both are so broken. One lost all control (Tyrion), the other trying get some of that control back (Sansa).
    Pedro Pascal was an amazing casting choice.

The three scenes that just knocked it out of the part for me:

Oberyn and Tyrion’s conversation in the cell.
    Arya and the Hound when he reveals how he got his scars and in “The Children”, when he begs for mercy.
    Just brilliant!

Unsung hero…Owen Teale. Thorne and Tormund battle and his speech to the Nights Watch before the attack. He was fabulous.

Varys saying “Peace out, bitch”. The look on his face said it all.

128. TanneRain
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Every single scene that did not feature Missandei or Grey Worm.

Stannis charge, all of Episode 9, the Mountain and the Viper, the Purple Wedding, the trial, every Tywin scene, the Hound in general, all highlights of this season.

129. Joh
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Every.Chicken.In.This.Room.

The end shot of The Hound and Arya riding away through the destroyed Riverlands was pretty awesome, too.

Now that I think of it, every scene with Maisie and Rory was brilliant. I can’t choose just one.

Then, Battle of the Wall. Everything on fire, giants and mammoths, etc, etc…
    It wasn’t a perfect episode, but it was quite unlike anything I had ever seen before on television, or even on the big screen, for that matter. I was shocked it got so little critical acclaim.

And of course Pedro Pascal stole the show as Oberyn. I loved every second he was on screen.

The problem, really, is that there are so many good actors on this show. I can think of a few cases where characters got only a couple of minutes of screentime in the whole season, and yet, they did so much with those few scenes. How do you choose?

130. Randa
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

My brain doesn’t even know how to process that information…

131. Mikken's Mark
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

~~~~~~~~~~~
    {M} {M} {M} {M}

Joffrey’s Wedding Gifts
    - offering wisdom to Tyrion
    - then proceeding to destroy his book
    - “what shall I name it……..Widow’s Wail….yes, I like that”

Locke Reconnaissance Mission
    - scouting Craster’s like a ghost
    - 11 men half of them drunk, wolves on the west side we’ll move on the east side…cut through them like walnut pie

Littlefinger returns to the Vale
    - “welcome back Lord Baelish”

Ramsay is Legitimized
    - “ride 700 miles that way….North.”

{M} {M} {M} {M}
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

132. Kisses
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

When Jon shots Tormund in the leg, and then says “Aye, you should have…”- that whole scene

133. Kisses
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Also, “I will be your champion…”

134. Godece
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Mike,

I don’t recall Brienne ending up protecting Arya with Oathkeeper. Also, neither Oathkeeper or Widow’s Wail end up in Stark hands. Do correct me if I’m wrong. :D

135. Dave
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

“What the fuck’s a Lommy?”

136. Godece
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Most Epic Moments:
    -Purple Wedding
    -Joff’s cruel taunts to Tyrion
    -Sansa in pain at fake-Robb’s death
    -”Look! The pie!” Margaery
    -”But you love him” Cersei
    -”And neither will you” Loras
    -”NOT NOW, MACE!” -Queen of Thorns
    -Joff’s choking and death
    -Dany chaining her dragons
    -goat herder and burnt baby bones
    -Brienne and The Hound showdown
    -kicking the vajayjay
    -biting off the ears
    -Hounds slow death
    -Arya’s empty eyes
    -Arya and The Hound countryside road trippin
    -EVERY SCENE WITH TYWIN
    -Oberyn and Tywin talking about the threat of the “Targaryen girl with 3 dragons”
    -Tywin finding out the truth about his golden twins
    -Tywin stealing Tommen from his mother at Joff’s deathbed
    -The Battle at the Wall
    -them mammoths and giants
    -Jon being an epic leader
    -Janos Slynt chickening out is EPIC!
    -”We’ll go back there..”Jon
    -”You knuh nuthin, Jun Snuh”
    -Stannis and his army reach The Wall
    -The Lands of Always Winter and the Others
    -Bran and the Greenseer, Children of the Forest
    -Jon and Ghost, “I missed you, boy”
    -Reek and Ramsay bath scene
    -EVERYTHING ON TYRION’S TRIAL
    -Varys’ face as death bell tolls on Kings Landing, peaced the fuck out!
    -Bronn’s betrayal of Tyrion
    -Shae’s death
    -Tywin Lannister doesn’t shit gold
    -Ramsay declared as a Bolton
    -”The North is bigger than all the other kingdoms combined” Roose Bolton

Epic moments that SHOULD have happened:
    -Tysha revelation (crucial part of Tyrion’s journey)
    -Lady Stoneheart
    -the 97th Lord Commander of the Watch
    -Daario and Dany (the old Daario was bad, the new one is WORSE! no onscreen charisma at all and no chemistry with Dany.. blah!)

Best episodes
    -The Children
    -Purple Wedding
    -First of His Name
    -The Mountain and the Viper

137. Starkfell
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

1. Meeting Fat Walda Frey
    2. “To Mag and Grenn.” “To Grenn and Mag.”
    3. Jamie and Bronn conversations
    4. Cersei comes clean to Tywin
    5. Bronn’s reasoning why he wont fight the Mountain
    6. Castle Black battle
    7. The Thenns “you haven’t lived until you have tried crow”
    8. The battle of the gate. Grenn and company vs Mag
    9. Janos Slynt being a chicken shit
    10 The Hound and Poliver fight

138. Patchy Face
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Jon going to the “real north” to build Ygriette’s pyre – this scene is wonderful for many reasons, not the least of all the music. This is Jon’s final goodbye to any hope of having a normal life & Kit Harrington depicted that pain of lost love perfectly. Guess I’m just a hopeless romantic.

139. Unbowed Unbent Unhodor
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Favourite episodes:
    Watchers on the walls
    Mockingbird
    Law of gods and men.

All episodes this season had really strong points so it was hard to choose. I was extremely let down by the fight between obyren and the mountain and that stupid beetle speech. If they did it correctly it would of been my favourite.
    Also the whole tyrion thing at the end of the children was a let down. In the book i was like holy fuck. Alas twas not to be.

Things i really liked/stood out
    -arya and pollier in two swords
    -purple wedding
    -brans vision touching the weirwood was cool
    -fight between the champion and daario wasnt good but everything else in that scene was cool
    -jaime and brienne in oathkeeper
    -cool white walker happenings up north
    -all vale scenes in first of his name
    -all of laws of gods was awesome just wish they handled the ending of yaras escape better
    -all of mockingbird was awesome just wish they didnt waste time on that boring nothing speech and the rorge bit was stupid.
    -already mentioned mountain and the viper but i liked sansas scenes and reeks.
    -everything in watchers was awesome wok giants and a mammoth!
    -enjoyed brans scenes in children. Kinda wish they werent skeletons but watevs.
    -brienne vs the hound was cool
    -chaining the dragins was emotional.

Overall this was my favourite season. I just wish they did some of the awesome scenes justice (mainly obyren vs mountain and tyrion and jaime and tyrion, shae and tywin)

140. Unbowed Unbent Unhodor
    Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Sophie turner as Sansa was definitely my favourite arc this season.

141. Tony
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Oberyn’a tongue lashing on Cersei and Tywin at Joff’s wedding

142. Tony
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 12:19 am | Permalink

jentario,

that was classic!!!!

143. Ashara D
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Patchy Face,

For me, this was the moment that Kit’s Jon became real. The pain that splits his face as he walks away, after all of the stoicism the past three years, just completely revealed the broken-ness that we get throughout in the books. Worth the wait. Can’t wait to see his arc next season. Thanks for adding that one, Patchy!

144. Patchy Face
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Ashara D,

You are welcome! Really looking forward to Jon/Kit’s arc in S5- maybe more than any other.

145. House baratheon
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Tyrions trial was one of the most moving scenes for me. Naked Missandei made me feel kinda funny inside too.. Like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

146. Udi
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

If you like House Stark motto ‘WINTER IS COMING’ or other quotes or mottoes from ‘Game of Thrones’ get it in a handmade speech bubble to hang on your wall

147. Udi
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Message In A Bubble

148. gettinmywhitebookon
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

This pie is dry. And can somebody please tell me, what the fuck’s a lommy?

149. Randi Shamsabadi Howard
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 1:41 am | Permalink

You are not my friend, my friend.

It’s Randa, btdubs.

150. loco73
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Seeing Jon kick ass at The Wall and Stanis’s arrival at The Wall…honestly if you listen to the music and see Stannis with Davos making their entrance and the way they look soo fierce, this has to be the best one since I’ve seen Darth Vader appear for the first time in “Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope”!

There are just too many others to count…definitely Arya laughing when finding out about Aunt Lysa’s final flight…

151. King
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

It was a good season overall, but the changes from the books were atrocious, and several characters rendered highly irrelevant. Lack of character development dragged this season down.

152. John W
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Tie between Arya and the Hound’s encounter at the inn and Tyrion’s outburst at the trial.

Most disappointing moment: The fight between the Viper and The Mountain which seemed too short, after all the hype.

153. Colin Hicks
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:21 am | Permalink

The bitch-off between Loras and Jaime.

154. Grey Ghost
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

The cold opening of Two Swords. Beautifully symbolic and expertly done, especially with the ‘previously’ that led into it.

The chickens, and Meryn Fucking Trant?! I can’t help but shout out one of those every other day. xD

The wedding and everything about it. It was perfect (except for Jaime being home early which led to a massive problem later on with the ‘rape scene’. The idiots. Pointless and unnecessary!)

I go now :( I love this show so much and could keep on listing things but its the errors that still stick out more :(

*bans self from posting anymore*

155. Game of thrones fan cole
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Where to start, when Joffrys’s little brother took the throne it reminded me of what joffrys should have been like but knowing the truth I still don’t like that the lannisters have the iron throne, another of my fav’s is Tyrian and ser Bronn part ways in tyrians cell, that made me cry and last but not least lady breann of tarth and the hound’s battle both are my favorites but I didn’t want to see lady breann die I’m glad she bested the hound in combat

156. Glen
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Ace:

It was too perfect. That screamed CGI.

1. […] Ned Truly unified family Inside of the Game Owns of the Season Owns from Facebook Reads the Tweets Winter is owning The […]